2007 Pre-Season Begins!

• It’s been five long months since the Canadiens have hit the ice to play an NHL game.

Tonight the Habs host the Penguins in the first of back to back pre-season games.

This time last year it was Saku Koivu returning from an eye injury and Guillaume Latendresse’s much discussed second time trying to make it to the show. Whispers and excitement of Sergei Samsonov’s anticipated start with the Canadiens were circulating all over town….Mickey Ribs was sent packing and Janne Niinimaa was looking for a fresh start as a Hab….

Much has changed.

This year the main storyline seems to be Carey Price and what the Canadiens have in store for him in the near future.

It will be interesting to watch and see what he does, and how difficult he will make it on management to send him down.

Roman Hamrlik, Bryan Smolinski and Tom Kostopoulos among others will play as Canadiens for the first time.

Game on.

1. Price is not ready for the NHL yet. He needs another year with the Bulldogs.

Huet needs to have a great 1st half. And be traded to a cup contender who needs a good goalie. Then Halak will be #1. Halak is a better goalie than price….

2. Can’t wait for the outcome,really hope we smoke em!Go Habs!

3. I bought a LCD TV last year. I got the HD box last night and RDS as well 82 habs games to watch. Can’t wait.

4. #4 superfan says:
    September 17, 2007 at 3:59 pm

DTD, this is not wrestling, one to many knocks on the head…huet traded? halak better than price? what have you been smoking?

September 17, 2007 at 6:58 pm

I would have to agree with u there superfan lol

6. #6 Dancan81 says:
    September 17, 2007 at 7:13 pm

Is RDS HD happening? If so on Bell Expressvu?

7. HD on RDS should be ready for first regular season game of the year.

8. Yo Superfan,I agree with DTD trade Huet mid season,infact send him to the sharks,and start Price and split duty with Halak,let the rebuild commence a.s.a.p.

9. Moving a goaltender midseason so that he can play on a “contender” is not going to build anything but uncertainty for the Habs. Huet needs to solidify himself and play the majority of the year, giving his team consistency and helping Price and Halak build.

10. Geez Kovalev why do you tease us in the pre-season when we all know you’ll go back to not caring during the regular season.

The Habs/Pens rivalry is heating up though, too bad till Price becomes a superstar the Habs will get killed by them

11. Same old Habs as last year. Can’t score 5 on 5. Halak was very weak tonight. 2 very soft goals. The top line was a no show again. Dejavu……

As for my #9 post Halak did not prove himself tonight that’s for sure.

Huet will be #1, Halak #2 and Price will be back with the Bulldogs.

THIS WILL BE A LONG YEAR…………..

12. #12 slyburger says:
    September 18, 2007 at 11:47 pm

DTD, you cannot draw conclusions after only 2 pre-season games. I bet you were feeling quite good about the team last night after we beat Crosby and an almost complete penguins team, as did I. I was at the game tonight and while it was disapointing, we gotta remember that most of these players are tests and are not even NHL material. Once Carbs pares down the team then you can start to come to conclusions. But i think we will be a different team by then. Take all the good points of team A and the good points of team B and throw all the bad points out the window and you’ve got yourself a competitive team. And besides, Higgins hasn’t even laced em up yet ;)

So far, Kovalevs lookin good, Huet’s lookin good, Kostitsyn is looking to break out. Add those factors to last years team and we’re in the playoffs.

13. I hope that you are right Slyburger …………..

14. ‘And besides, Higgins hasn’t even laced em up yet ‘

Ya, what gives with that? I was looking for him the last two games! Do they not want to show our secret weapon on National Television until we absoloutly have to? :)

15. #15 HabsFan4life says:
    September 19, 2007 at 2:58 pm

His shoulder isn’t quite ready for the full contact yet.

16. I think AK27 is back! I don’t think he’ll get under 60 pts this year guys. Kovalev is starting to think of finally winning the cup again.

September 20, 2007 at 8:57 am

I am looking forward to seeing who will make the team this year. Let’s hope AK27 is as deadly as an AK47 this year , we need to score tons.

18. #18 Slyburger says:
    September 21, 2007 at 1:04 pm

“His shoulder isn’t quite ready for the full contact yet.”

Wasnt he training like a beast all off season and meditating and all that crap? And now he’s to weak to play? what gives?

19. Easy guys..Higgy did work out like a beast, and its just precautionary stuff. It’s preseason and the Habs rather be “overly” safe than sorry. I know he wants to get back as soon as possible too, but he understands the reasons..
    GP

20. #20 Jaker 1 says:
    September 21, 2007 at 4:16 pm

I had the chance to see the game Wednesday night in Moncton against NYI. The only thing that really concerns me is a legitimate tough guy.Murray did well in a couple of tussels but I think they need a guy that other team are going to say to themselves “we can’t push around their smaller players or we will pay the price”. Right now I don’t think any team will fear that.That just one small negative but on the positve I think this is going to be an exciting team to watch. When no one expects anything from you, you usually have nothing to lose.

September 21, 2007 at 6:19 pm

Totally agre with you on that one jaker