Abby or Huey?

• David Abeischer’s performance on Saturday was probably his best game since becoming a Canadien late last season.

We finally saw Abeischer be the best player on the ice and gave the Canadiens a chance to win.

Cristobal Huet had a great game Friday despite falling short in the shootout. Huet also seemed to get up slowly after the first shot where he appeared to injure himself after streching out to cover the far post.

Who does Guy Carbonneau go with for game 3 in Philly?

Huet was expected to get the majority of the games but if he is even slightly hurt the door is open for Abeischer to prove himself.

Whatever happens, two goalies playing well is great news for the Canadiens.

1. Oh great, two games in and we already have to talk about a goalie controversy. Only in Montreal!

2. I think it’s a dilemma that most teams would love to have.
    Not sure about Philly but I say Abeischer Saturday night versus the Sens…he seems to have their number.

3. I believe that Huet will go on Wedensday against the Flyers because he had their number last season and Abby will go agianst the Sens cause he had their number.

So far they’ve both impressed me and have looked good. Although Huet lost he did face the better team in the Sabres(best team in the division), but Dave looked pretty darn good against the Leafs and he looks like he’s the better shootout goalie.

So far after a few days my division rankings go like so:

1.Buffalo
    2.Montreal
    3.Ottawa
    4.Toronto
    5.Boston

Ottawa at 3 and Toronto at 4 are basically interchangable right now because Ottawa, inparticular Alfredsson, have played like crap.

What do you guys think?

4. It’s so early but I agree that Buffalo looks the best. I think we need 20 games to get a real picture. There may be a few surprises by then.

5. It does appear to be that Buffalo are gunna be a tough biscuit this year! I think getting ahead of the Leafs and getting a good season out of key players – namely Koivu, Kovalev, Huet, Souray, Samsonov, Ryder, Souray, Souray, Souray and Souray ;) – is key for playoff confidende.

On Goalie issues, we should be doing what the Wild did when they had the superb combo of Roloson/Fernandez. Hopefully there will be not that much competiton as they both look, and have bothe proven, to be qaulity stoppers. But if i were forced to choose it would be Huet. Last seasons performance was a god send and really showed that we were capable of going all the way. All that remains is to get a soldi defence in front of him and who knows – the cup could be back in Canada after so many years!

6. #6 hab man alex says:
    October 10, 2006 at 12:16 pm

i think abby in philly huet in ottawa and then huet will play for 40 games abbey for 38 and denis for 4

7. TSN.ca ice chips is reporting that Abby has the inside track for the game aginst Philly. They’ve quoted Carbs saying that after Saturday’s preformance Aebischer deserves another start.

They’ve also got Saku saying that he has trouble seeing pucks by his feet and that he’s changing contact lenses because the ones he’s using right now are uncomfortable.

8. Question:
    Would everyone still be saying that Buffalo will be number 1 if we kept the 2 goal lead against them?

9. Fair enough, just making sure people didn’t think this way because of one last minute comeback.

10. Hey guys I thought I might get some help for my hockey pool.
    I have Gilbert Brule as my 3rd centre, he’s doing nothing.
    I want to drop him for 1 of the remaining centers:

Mike Fisher Mike Sillinger Tomas Plekanec Matthew Lombardi
    Daymond Langkow Michal Handzus Matt Cullen B.Morrison
    Connolly Health?? Stoll (3rd Line) Petr Sykora (2nd Line)
    Mike Comrie Steve Reinprecht Phil Kessel – rookie
    Niko Kapanen Steve Rucchin David Legwand Jason Allison

I was thinking of Michal Handzus since he’s the number centre with the Blackhawks.
    He’s seems to be lighting it up. WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK?

11. #12 Frank says:
    October 10, 2006 at 3:52 pm

How does that guy have Montreal ranked above Toronto? Toronto totally outplayed Montreal on Saturday and if not for Aebischer’s incredible performance would have blown the Habs out.

12. #13 CH fan1 says:
    October 10, 2006 at 4:25 pm

I don’ think so. There is no way the leafs would have blown out the habs! in fact, had the habs been on their game, we would most assuredly have blown out the leafs!As far as the goalie situation, I think Aebischer is the better goalie, especially on shootouts, and he can stop pucks that go HIGH on him, unlike Huet! By the time December rolls around, Aebischer will be our #1 goalie, because Huet is a flash in the pan! And the rest of the league knows it! The word is out in Huet! shoot high, because he can’t stop them. So why would you want to play a goalie who can’t stop high shots?Makes no sense.AEBISCHER IS OUR NO #1 GOALIE!

13. #14 riser8 says:
    October 10, 2006 at 5:06 pm

I attended the game on Saturday night. Abby was solid and definitely deserves another start, whether it be against Philly or Ottawa. For those people who say
    the Habs were outplayed significantly against Toronto I completely disagree. The Habs were the better team in both the first and third periods while the Leafs took it to them in the second and overtime periods….in fact Raycroft was given one of the stars after the game….so much for the Habs being blown away in the game as well the shots were 32-32 after the first 60 minutes. By the way Habs Blog what is with all these whiners…3 out of four points on the road is pretty dam good!

14. #15 Jack Tornton says:
    October 10, 2006 at 6:17 pm

It’s Huet, Huet, Huet, Huet the one that will keep the Habs goaltending position for the next 5 years and no word ’bout that. And Abby can go where ever he wants to go ’cause he doesn’t seem to be happy in Montreal. When you see Huet in press conference you deeply feel how much this man is proud to represent the Montreal Canadiens and he wants to stay here so you guys know what stop making decisions when the season has barely beggined. 2 DAYS AND SOME OF YOU GUYS ARE READY TO KICK HUET OUT OF TOWN???????

Ch Fan 1:
    The word is out in Huet!

??? Common guys… I always thought that we Habs are very loyal(loyal to a degree where we should be known as the most loyal fans in the league)
    Now I barely think we’re more loyal than the leafs.

15. #16 Jack Tornton says:
    October 10, 2006 at 6:19 pm

I keep my word in Huet.

16. #17 CH fan1 says:
    October 10, 2006 at 7:09 pm

I’m not making it up. Anyone will tell you, especially broadcasters! Everyone in the league says:”HUET CAN’T STOP HIGH SHOTS!Obviously, you didn’t watch the shootout on Friday night! He might be okay for shots on the ice, but c’mon, if you know he’s vulnerable up high, you’re going tell your players to shoot high, right? That makes me nervous, especially if there’s a shootout!

17. #18 Jack Tornton says:
    October 10, 2006 at 7:28 pm

Let’s get this clear…No shootout+ everything is fine! shootout = problem!
    So can anyone tell me if it is possible to change goalies when shootouts begin. If this is possible then I think this would be the solution to our problem.

18. #20 Habs#1 says:
    October 10, 2006 at 7:57 pm

Montreal is a faster team than Toronto Frank. But since they aren’t as good as Buffalo it dosen’t come out till the third period when Toronto is tired. Montreal skated circles around Toronto in the third. If it wasn’t for Raycroft, who but the way I’ve personnaly been to hard on and so far he is definitly proving me wrong, the Habs would have won 5-2. The second line still needs to get going and if they don’t in the next 2-3 games don’t be surprised to see Carbonneau juggle his second and third lines.

Lastly, I know it’s early and I’m just throwing this out there, but don’t be surprised to see Gainey trade, or at least try and trade, Kovalev if he dosen’t have a big year, they don’t make the playoffs, or Kotstitsyn is huge in Hamilton this season.

19. #21 jfk0202 says:
    October 10, 2006 at 8:02 pm

True two high shots went in on him..but last year he made some good saves during the shootouts. You have to admit both the high shots that went in were well placed and very good wrist shots. I am sure he thought Afinegenov was going to deke like he ususaly does yet a early quick wrist shot up top went it. Huet didn’t even go down on that one so you can’t say that was caused by that. Finally, we all saw him hurt himself a bit on the first save…not that it’s an excuse but give him a chance. It was one shootout. If it weren’t for two posts against aebi….TO would of won that one in the shootout…does he go down too early too? Great two goalies that go down too early..we might as well put Souray in net for the shootout. A bright shiny red pilon. Come on guys give Huet some time. As for your question…last year edmonton changed their goalie for the shootout twice.

20. Hey jfk0202 would of could of should have,….I really don’t give a rats ass about that. It who wins period…AND remember montreal fans we have not played home in this very young season yet.

21. HAHAHA Righttttt! We just hit less posts than you HA HA HA !!!

GO HABS!!!

22. Would have, could have, should have. ‘Would of’ is not correct.

23. Thanks English lesson teach and the correction. I am more then happy with the idea of using a goaltender when he is hot and ride him for as many games. At least that is that is what Carbo feels. I don’t care which one starts but am very happy Abeischer played as well as he did.

24. Guys, we’ve seen this before if not with Brodeur then with Roy, When a goalie seems to be a little on edge or unsure of his play (especially when he plays a butterfly style!) he has a tendancy to go down way too soon and way too often!And this despite having a okay starting game, Is exactly what’s going on with Cristobal! Not that it’s an excuse but Just imagine the pressure of stepping into the Habs 2006-07 season after your last years performance, coupled with you me and all the fans , let alone the media..Oh yeah and the fact that your now making millions! Like it or not it represents a lot of pressure!Now i’m the first to say Suck it up HEUWY that’s why your payed the big bucks! But once again he played well and he just has to adjust!! CAN WE AT LEAST AGREE TO LET HIM SHAKE OUT THE COBWEBS AND NOT DECAPITATE HIM IF I’M WRONG UNTIL MID-NOVENBER ! ~God is a habs fan…GO HABS GO!

25. Jay Huey is playing good I don’t believe he is stuck anywhere and it is not a matter of bouncing back..We already can play VERY well..The MOST important thing is for Abby to gain his confidence back from last year where was a little shakey…

26. #28 CH fan1 says:
    October 11, 2006 at 2:30 pm

I understand sometimes it takes time and chemistry for 3 players on a line together, to click, but understand this: we must have 2 lines scoring to make the playoffs. If we only have 1 line going, it puts too much pressure on that line, and the opposition will key on that 1 line, and ultimately shut them down. If the time for Samsanov, Kovalev, and Plekanec, to click, takes too long, look for changes or juggling lines. I see Kovalev as a very lazy player, who plays only when he feels like. Kind of like Ribeiro,(except for talent).The problem is, Kovalev needs to compliment his 2 linemates, and if he doesn’t produce, or give 100% effort, it will rub off on his linemates, and make the complete line null and void! Get the picture? Shake up the lines, or simply give Kovalev a shake, or plane ticket out of Montreal. We need a player, like Koivu, who shows up for work 82 games a year!I don’t see Kovalev as that kind of player. we don’t have enough talent to cover up for Kovalev’s miscues or lack of effort!

27. #29 Brayden says:
    October 15, 2006 at 11:54 pm

Huet is the number 1 man, should be, and all this controversy is only created by you guys on a bunch of what ifs…Haven’t any of you thought about the pressure of wondering if your playing the next game will do to a persons self esteem and ability. Get rid of this stupid controversy, let Huet be the Number one man and go with it, CONFIDENCE is everything to a goalie.Trade abisher and get on with it. All the great goalies never shared a position, thats a joke. Only in Montreal…

28. #30 mortgages says:
    March 13, 2007 at 4:00 pm

This is one super duper site