All Square

• After returning home to Montreal with an unexpected 2-0 record in Carolina the Habs failed to win either home game and now sit even with the surging Canes.

It’s extra frustrating considering the Candiens were very much in both games but failed to put either of them away. With a 2 man advantage and a double minor the Habs could not get that extra goal to make the difference. Cam Ward continues to play strong and the Canes seem to be feeding off it.

More questionable refereeing. Zednik stick in the face, Markov’s stick in the face unpenalized. It’s now bordering on a joke here. With the Canadiens Captain out with a gruesome eye injury the sticks continue to fly wildly and unpenalized.

What happens now? Will the Canadiens be able to shrug it off and take the Canes out of it? Or have the Canes found their game and ready to roll over the Habs?

Other than the game 1 debacle each game has been decided by 1 goal. The Canadiens have showed they can play with this team and it’s looking more and more like it’ll go seven games.

One thing is certain, home ice advantage has meant absolutely nothing in this series. Both teams losing all of their home games and winning only on the road. For whatever reason the Canadiens play better in the playoffs on the road and with 2 of the possible remaining 3 in Carolina that looks to be an advanatage.

1. #1 hip hip huet says:
    April 29, 2006 at 10:59 am

yha so what the canes get a break. habs in 6 out

2. #2 marcintouch says:
    April 29, 2006 at 12:26 pm

I was there on Friday night, as I was on Wednesday and as I will be again next Tuesday, and I have to say that I disagree with you that the Habs were in this game. I have seen them play far too many times since becoming a season ticket holder a few years ago, and this was one of the most disappointing games I have ever witnessed. They started the game terrified, and aside from a decent spell in the second period, they stayed terrified. The defensemen (save Boullion) looked slow and unresponsive, the forwards lacked any sort of ideas on how to get past the Canes’ forecheck, Kovalev was invisible, Huet was ordinary, and if Ribeiro misses one more wide-open net, I will personally fillet him and sell him to Janos for the lean edition of their mixed grill.

That being yelled, I agree with you that we play better on the road. The vaunted Bell Centre “ambiance” seems to be more trouble than it’s worth, with too many players afraid of making mistakes (or of actually playing any hockey, Kovalev! ) in front of a crowd that actually knows hockey and calls it like we see it. That was a woeful game, woeful.

The lines that Gainey has assembled with the loss of Koivu aren’t working. Playing Ribeiro with Kovalev is like having Tiger Woods caddied by Stephen Hawking. Playing Streit as a forward just to bench him in the second and third was just misguided, when we would have lost nothing (and maybe saved some energy for Bonk and Plekanec) to play Kastisyn or Lapierre for a shift or two.

I say: play one of the rookie forwards, play Bulis at center and someone tell Markov it’s okay to shoot every now and then.

Oh, and someone severely disable Brind’Amour, just for a little while. A nice stomach flu should do the trick. :-)

Just kidding. Stupid Whalers. Go Habs Go, already!
    Marcintouch from Montreal

3. One thing is for certain; the Canadiens are playing very disciplined in the face of terrible refereeing (Williams again sticks Markov in the face, and there is no call. Stillman swings his stick wildly into Rivet’s neck, and there is no call. Anyone seeing a pattern here?) However, they have now allowed the Carolina players especially BrindAmour to set up tents on top of Huet. BrindAmour has his legs in the crease kicking at Huet all the time now. This used to be called goaltender interference much in the same way that a stick in the face was called high-sticking.

I think a lot of Bob Gainey (and the discipline that he has brought to this team), but if anyone thinks Scotty Bowman would have put up with this stuff, they are nuts! Bowman would be dressing Aaron Downey and Todd Simpson with the sole intent of cleaning both Williams’ and BrindAmour’s clocks!

At the other end, Cam Ward is being allowed to see the puck too well. The Habs need to regroup and adjust if they are going to advance. It is still a 2-2 series, and the Canadiens have played well enough to win all four games.

4. #4 Chris says:
    April 29, 2006 at 1:13 pm

Ok now being a huge HABS fan as I am i am getting a little sick of more of the same old same old from the guys in the red white and blue, however there are reasons to be at least a little optimistic in this series. I agree with you MARCINTOUCH last nights game was dreadful play by the Habs and after we went down two it was too reminiscent of when we got shalacked 8-2 at the hands of the Canes in ’02 in game 6. I was amazed that we closed the gap and actually tied the game…even if just a moment before the Canes almost scored being down two men on our 5-on-3! If that would have went in…oh man the series would have been over for sure. But even though we came out flat we really only allowed the Canes to capitilize in the first period. What proved to be the game winner was another b/s goal that should not have counted just as the previous goal was taken back as well. If we can hold off the Canes that well continuously and the forwards decide to actually wake up!!!!(Kovalev where the hell were you last night)? and don’t get me started on good ol’ Rebeiro either! I mean come on guys…the Canes just took out our leader and our captain…we should be playing with fire in our hearts for Koivu showing that these CANIES CANNOT PUSH US AROUND, OR ARE WE GOING TO REPEAT HISTORY OF THE LAST 10 YEARS AND CONTINUE TO TAKE IT IN THE BACK END FROM THESE TEAMS! We came back and beat boston after being down 3-1 and i strongly believe we will still win this series in 6….GO HABS GO!

5. The Habs certainly were ‘in’ Game 3 (and should have won it), but I agree with marcintouch that they weren’t in Game 4. The team only showed life in the second period. The rest of their game was comprised of uncharacterisitic sloppy play and bad turnovers, two of which resulted in Carolina goals. And in all seriousness, and in no offense to Carolina, last night’s game was more a case of Montreal playing appallingly bad than it was the Hurricanes playing that much better. Carolina, despite playing better than they did in the 3 previous games, admittedly, was, again, a very ‘beatable’ team in Game 4. Montreal simply didn’t (or couldn’t) take advantage of this fact.

As I said before, the Habs have their fate in their own hands. They are more than capable of winning this series, but it is up to them to do it.

6. #6 Gilles says:
    April 29, 2006 at 2:58 pm

The Habs have defence men why is justin williams still standing he should be baing hit hard constantly he should be covered its disgutsting to see this I remember a team that play with pride and heart. I’m sorry bonk is lazy kovalev is lazy ribbero should be shot get rid of dumbass european player and get some good old fashioned kids who grow up going to sleep dreaming about hoisting the cup not some dumb ass euro who only want millions rather then turning it up when there team needs them down with euros.

7. #7 I am Canadien says:
    April 29, 2006 at 2:59 pm

I have seen this before; we get momentum and then fail to capitalize on a team they have on the ropes. I am trying to be optimistic about this team but as soon as Carolina went ahead 3-2 I could feel that we were not going to come back to tie it. We have no finish on many of the opportunities.
    I am pretty sure that we’re done in 6, BUT, i would hope that this will help us build for next year.
    PS: Habs need to go back to wooden sticks!!

8. I am Canadian,

I feel the same feeling when the Hurricanes took the 3-2 lead. I was hopeful, but given the Habs’ overall effort last night, I kind of knew the series was going back to Carolina tied 2-2.

Also, thanks for bringing up the breaking stick problem! I failed to mention this before, but I am absolutely amazed that players continue to use sticks that explode after four or five shifts (or so it seems). I’ve never, in all my years of watching hockey, seen so many stick explosions. And it happens night after night, and not just to the Habs, of course. How many missed opportunities have resulted from this fact? Go back to the wood, for crying out loud!

9. #9 Gumper says:
    April 29, 2006 at 4:34 pm

YES!! The sticks are ridiculus. They should be the last thing to factor into any errors or turn of play, yet they are. Besides talent and stamina, hockey sticks are the sole instrument and tool in winning hockey games… but the players are still using them for the extra 5-10 MPH. It may just have cost us game #3 when souray’s vapourized leaving Bonk up front to hand him his.

Anyway, the momentum now has shifted fully for Carolina. Not saying in their favour necessarily, but as a team, they have recouped their confidence over these 2 home games. This should not have happened. Now, despite an even series, the Habs are totally up agaisnt it.

Get better Sak…

10. #10 marcintouch says:
    April 29, 2006 at 5:00 pm

Aside from being a lifelong Habs fan, I am also a Liverpool fan from the English Premiere soccer league. Nice 3-1 win over Aston Villa this morning, by the way. Anyhow, 22-year-old Liverpool midfielder Momo Sissoko was clipped in the eye in a very similar way to what happened to Koivu (sans stick, of course), and there were fears that he would never play again due to impaired vision.

He’s back, he’s playing, he’s fine. Take heart, Saku!

Saku Koivu: The Luckiest Unluckiest Man In The World
    -Marcintouch

11. heyy im a canes fan but i really enjoy reading the hab’s fans blogs to hear what the other teams’s fans have to say about the game. however i feel the whole “terrible reffeing” is crap. The Habs have got as many lucky breaks as the Canes have and they are doing a fine job. The have missed calls on carolina but they’ve missed as many on the habs too. AND BRINDAMOUR IS NOT INTERFERING WHAT THE HECK. okay so that goal that was waved off umm you guys had not 1, not 2 but THREE GUYS push him over your own goalie?!?!? yea. hes not “kicking the goalie” or anyof that bull crap. His goals have been clean and he is finding a way to get in front of the net find the loose puck and get it in the net. Interfering is not part of it at all its completley clean. Except for the fact your players pushed him into your own goalie hmmm..okay. &&Cam Ward has been stellar there has been plenty of traffic infront of the goal which has partly resulted in the two goals the habs came up with last. nigh. anywaysss….

best of luck to saku although wasn’t intentional we’re all hoping for the best for him and the habs.

&&Good luck Sunday. :)

12. Hi, b*black.

Brind’Amour interfered with Huet. Yes, he did.

The complaints about the officiating are directed more at the calls in general, in this series and in others, than they are at those not made on Carolina. However, a high-stick as brutal as the one on Koivu (regardless of intent, again) HAS to be called. There are no acceptable excuses for it not being called. None. It’s entirely unacceptable and this type of incompetent officiating must not be tolerated.

Further, it’s one thing for Williams to inadvertently high-stick Koivu. It wasn’t intentional, no. Everyone agress on that, I think. And these things happen. But it’s quite another thing when he comes back the very next game and high-sticks Markov pretty damned good. Is he some kind of idiot with that stick or what? (Incidentally, this was another non-call. Why?)

Cam Ward has played well, but he also hasn’t been tested all that much. Someone will test him, if not the Habs, then the next team you play.

As to the two goals the Habs came up with last night, they were the result of them shooting the puck. (Something they need to do a whole lot more of in this series.)

Thanks.

13. The first period isn’t even completed yet in Ottawa and Marouelli and Larue are already making friends among the Ottawa fans.

These guys are hockey terrorists.

14. #14 SaskHab says:
    April 29, 2006 at 10:04 pm

I owe Saku Koivu and those who have stuck behind him an apolgy. This statement isn’t at all related to his eye injury, which I sincerely hope is not long-term or career threatening. Hopefully we’ll get some good news in a couple of days. Anyways, back to my initial statement. During the latter part of the regular season and the playoffs I have been all over Koivu for his lack of production and overall disappointing play. This stemmed mostly from watching him tear it up at the Olympics and then return to my Habs only to appear mediocre on a regular basis. Perhaps I didn’t air these opinions too much on this site, but my friends and my brother (both of us lifelong Habs fans) heard altogether too much of my harsh criticisms.

Well, the last couple of games have shown me how much we need him, not cause of his production, talent, or leadership necessarily, but because of his terrific fit on that top line. It’s like he’s Mikael Renberg in the Legion of Doom days except less of a scorer. I merely mean a piece of a puzzle that is beautiful while alone he isn’t anything special. Higgins, Ryder and Koivu obviously have an elevated level of positive chemistry which is a huge factor in their effectiveness as a line. Without Koivu they have been invisible and that is why I am apologizing. We obviously need him more than I cared to admit and I’m not sure we have anyone who can remotely fill that void.

On another note, Huet has been pretty good, but where has spectacular rebound control gone. He used to be like velcro. If he can get back at leat part of that aspect of his game I think Montreal takes this series. I expect a better effort on the road. I don’t think this next one will be a one-goal game though.

15. #15 hip hip huet says:
    April 29, 2006 at 10:27 pm

ok i agree with marcintouch as in this was one of the worst habs games this year, but if the series goes the way it going habs are going to take this in seven, oh and SaskHab i agree with you that this game is gooing to be a high scoring affair and im predictiong a 4-3 habs win!

16. #16 hip hip huet says:
    April 29, 2006 at 10:28 pm

and how about thoes sticks.. man dont they break easly???

17. well im going for the habs but i think they anit going to win the canes are going to come out to a flying start and if they get more then 3 goals in the 1st its all over if they lose game 5 we better get to thr golf coruse fast. i want to see the habs win the cup but up 2 to 0 and then playing like shit in game 3 and 4 they anit going to win by the way there playing so alot of us habs fans dont get are hopes up. p.s. dont blame the officiating blame the players the whole habs team let down after the canes made it 3 to 2 so im saying canes in 6 but if the habs win game 5 are 6 habs in 7

18. This series will likely go 7. The Habs will win Game 6 at home.

19. Guys I’m sick and tired of watching us get screwed around by these refs. That Markov highstick was the last straw!
    I need a new remote after smashing it against the wall.
    I’m turning the channel off to the “NEW NHL”. 3 ref’s and NOBODY sees the Markov highstick? Go F*CK yourselves!
    This is the biggest bullshit I have ever seen in all my years.

Deep down inside us Habs fans know how this story will finish, no need to tune in. GAME OVER and F*CK OFF!

- Bitter Habs Fan!

20. #20 hip hip huet says:
    April 30, 2006 at 8:47 am

yo calm down… (even tho i need a new remote too… not kiding) if the habs shoot they will win. on friday the ribero kovalev and bulis line faild to get a shot on goal. but yha that highstick was horrible and im so f*cking fed up with don koharskie .. (even tho hes from my hometown) he is just to emotional .

-habs will win 2night 4-3

April 30, 2006 at 8:56 am

lol I agree stevejur i am also very upset but what is done is done.We as fans must support our boys.When i have turned on the t.v the past couple of days all i am hearing is how the habs are toast.We must face it as habs fans that there is not many people who really like us (tsn,cbc ect.)it has been this way for years and it is probally worse now because the leafs didnt make it.Having said that we must still believe no matter what,the fat lady is far from singing.Alot of people come on here with their statistics of how carolina is so much better but thats all they are STATS. Its best of three now and its time to shine and silence the non believers.Stay true and have faith the habs lay down for nobody. pactum serva

22. #22 hip hip huet says:
    April 30, 2006 at 10:04 am

HERE HERE *raises beer glass*

23. #23 habsgirl says:
    April 30, 2006 at 10:49 am

What’s with Harry Neale??? He’s Mr. Negative where the Habs are concerned. I can’t stand to listen to him, he’s so one sided it’s not funny. Prove him wrong tonight boys!!

24. #24 habsfan518 says:
    April 30, 2006 at 11:30 am

well steve begin is going to be back in tonite hopefully he can be a presence. we can only hope that the habs come out and play like they did in game 1. I alomst think sometimes they need desperstion to win games look at the bruins series a few years ago. I didnt think they could come back from a 3-1 defecite. They need to skate and pass well, score first and hammer it from there take cam ward out of his game make him doubt. huet has got to make big save’s he’s been good but its time to turn it up same thing with ol’ sore nuts not let skaters get by him thats why he get paid a healthy salary. Kovalev had better earn his 4.5 million and work like he wants to see the cup come home this year. with that being said. GO HABS GO TRICOLORE JUSQU’AU BOUT
    LETS MAKE SOME NOISE FANS

25. #25 hip hip huet says:
    April 30, 2006 at 12:09 pm

I know what you mean habsgirl Hary Neal and Pierre Mcguier are a bunch of idiots!

26. #26 hip hip huet says:
    April 30, 2006 at 12:09 pm

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BLEU BLANC ROUGE 7 hours be4 gametime

27. One last thing with regard to the Habs’ present situation.

Yes, the officiating has been appalling. And yes, the referess in Game 3 had a lot to do with the outcome of the game. But it was ultimately a couple of soft goals that allowed Carolina back in this series, and it started in Game 2. When the Habs were up 3-0 going into the second period of play, they had Carolina by the balls and were squeezing hard. Then came that soft goal… and the flood gates were open. The Hurricanes, despite losing Game 2 in OT, put a lot of confidence back in their ability to score, and score on Huet in that game. And when Huet allowed another soft goal in Game 3, Carolina made the most of its opportunity and came back with a world of confidence in Game 4… which was just enough to get it done.

Oh, and the Habs could have scored a bit more, too! That would have won them the series by now.

Having said that, this is all behind them now (so I’ll shut up about it). Montreal is now going into a best-of-three series with a team they showed they can beat. It’s up to them to do it. This series will go 7 games and will cost me a great deal more anxiety that I had hoped for.

Go Habs Go!

28. #28 Asif says:
    April 30, 2006 at 1:18 pm

Harry Neal has been senile for years. Habs fans living in Toronto have to put up with people like him on a day to day basis. It’s not easy.

29. #29 Michael Morgan says:
    April 30, 2006 at 1:18 pm

The difference tonight will be the cool heads behind the bench. Gainey and Carbonneau are going into this game with a team that is fragile and freaked out because they have forgotten how to win the big ones. Watch for some shake ups in the line up tonight there are some guys on the bench who are itching to prove themselves like our next Prime Minister Ken Dryden did in 1971. It is there to do, it requires someone to step and lead the team in Saku’s absensce..who is that gonna be?

30. #30 Asif says:
    April 30, 2006 at 1:46 pm

The only guys showing a pulse in this series in Saku’s absence are Francis Bouillon and Garth Murray. Has anyone seen Mike Ribeiro? Why does the press in Montreal continue to give this guy a free pass? Either he starts proving his worth, not to mention his hype, or it’s time we treat him the same way we treated Pierre “Tin Man” Turgeon. Neither player has any heart.

31. If Ribeiro had buried even one of the golden opportunities he was handed, this series would look quite a bit different than it does.

Too many slackers.

“He will win whose army embodies the same spirit throughout its ranks.” Indeed. Where’s the TEAM effort? They’ll need to find it tonight. That’s for sure.

32. #32 Asif says:
    April 30, 2006 at 2:22 pm

Hey does anyone have an update on Begin? I am in the process of packing/moving, just feeling too lazy to look things up on my own right now.

33. #34 Asif says:
    April 30, 2006 at 4:54 pm

Thanks Joe. Moving sucks. I am glad Begin is back, this may just be the spark they need. Having him out there with Garth Murray is going to add a new dimension to this series.

34. You’re welcome.

Incidentally, I think the Habs are going to have accept the absence of Koivu on their bench in these playoffs–the healing time for eye injuries such as the one he sustained is, unfortunately, lengthy–and play as if he wasn’t there for Games 1, 2 and 3. Easier said than done maybe, but he’s not going to step onto the ice with them again any time soon. The players they presently have comprise the team that will win or lose it.

35. #36 ALEX THERIAULT says:
    April 30, 2006 at 7:00 pm

Joe the fact is that its hard to accept that your leader may never see again, let alone play in the nhl its gary roberts all over again… but it will be a challenge, and that means that mike ribero needs to step up.

36. #37 marcintouch says:
    April 30, 2006 at 7:27 pm

If Ribeiro isn’t playing for his job, then I don’t know the real Gainey and Carbonneau. I’m a Carbo-nut from way back — in fact, the only Habs jersey I have ever owned with a name on the back was a Carbonneau number 21, and the only signed hockey card I have ever bothered to seek out was a Carbo card from the early ’90s, which I still have around somewhere. This guy isn’t the type to let someone ponce through another year the way Ribeiro has — ship him to Columbus or something.

What we really need is an offensive co-ordinator, someone to complement our two Selke winners and our solid goalie coach. Someone who has had the pressure to score in big games and has delivered, and knows how to do it… I’ve heard the name of a certain Kirk Muller through the grapevine… What do you esteemed gentlepeople think of him joining the coaching staff?

37. Don’t sweat it too much because Montreal is very much in this series, folks. Once again, they took the play to Carolina for the larger part of the game. If only they would have crashed the net a lot more and let Souray and Kovalev unload those bombs… just like they did on Kovalev’s goal.

Oh, and I never thought I’d be saying this but Markov cost the Habs the game tonight. What? Yes, he DID. He had enough time to sit down and have a nice candlelit dinner before clearing that puck, but he decided, under absolutely no presure at all, that Carolina could use another powerplay. Why, Andrei? WHY? So, so unnecessary.

Huet, wow! What a game!

This series is still far from over. The Habs WILL win Game 6 at the Bell Centre.

38. Oh, and Carolina CONTINUES not to impress me.

39. Can you imagine what Buffalo or New Jersey would do to that Carolina team? Yikes.

40. #41 Gumper says:
    April 30, 2006 at 10:42 pm

Yes, i heard about that Muller rumour too. I’d pass on that. He wasn’t exactly an offensive powerhouse in his day. Grinder yes, but he doesn’t strike me as a pure strategist that can communicate effectively. I could be wrong and I know he’s coaching at Queens right now. It could be a good mix for us… who knows. But you’re right on the money when you suggest the Habs need an offensive coordinator.
    On the subject of tonight’s game. Again, the Canadiens let them off the hook. I can go on about the game and say this or that but, what I saw was a team that looked like a sparring partner for Carolina’s warm for the next round. It was awful and i won’t be wasting hope on this Hab team anymore this year. They are totally inconsistent and don’t gel early enough in a game. Somebody remind them it’s the playoffs!!! they got panicky tonight right out of the blocks and if the truth be known, Carolina was the more nervous team throughout this series. The first penalty killed us and I knew it would. Carolina’s scoring garbage goals,.. screened stuff on the powerplay… screw it… This is too horrid! And what’s the deal on potting the puck into the net after the whistle? Carolina did this 3-4 times now. That’s Junior f#cken’ “B” horseshit. And Brind’Amour? If you can’t put the puck in the next without putting the goalie in first — then retire you ugly prick!

41. #42 joshtm says:
    April 30, 2006 at 11:41 pm

Shame on Markov and Ribeiro. Why isn’t Gainey using his forwards more? Ivanans even though he is not much offensively can hit like the best of them. Time to pay back those high sticks and attempt to injure. Do I sound bitter? Yes.

I agree Montreal has to storm the crease and pay back Carolina when they storm the Habs. The Mahovalichs would have never put up with the high sticks and attempts to injure even the goalie. Modi Tabernac! Even Brind’amour tried to injure Huet, that was a cheap shot storming the net and raising the skate.

Time for some payback boys. Let Souray fight em if only for one penalty, time to pay back.

42. #43 Rob says:
    May 1, 2006 at 12:42 am

It’s sad when the hardest hit against Justin Williams comes from his own teammate… Further to my earlier comment, YES, Brind’Amour is interfering constantly with Huet, and should be made to pay for this. He deliberately ran Huet tonight. I don’t care if the referee called a penalty on the play, the bench would have cleared twenty years ago if someone did this to the Habs, and Larry Robinson would have personally seen to it that Brind’Amour’s behavior was corrected. Given that the referees are calling the games like they have a certain quota to fill, the Canadiens need to find a way to make their penalties count. The Canadiens’ teams of the 1970s and 1980s would never have stood by, and watched their Captain get speared in the eye in game 3, allow their best defenseman be high sticked in the face in game 4, and have their goaltender run over in game 5. Playing disciplined and playing tough are not mutually exclusive, but when you have been victimized for your discipline, perhaps it is time to change your strategy.

Ten hits is all the Canadiens’ could muster in game 5, that’s pathetic! Put together a real fourth line (Ivanans, Begin, Downey), get Todd Simpson out on the blueline, and start hitting or it’s over. It’s probably over anyways, but at least, go out swinging like Vinnie against Chara the other night.

Speaking of pathetic. Why is Ribeiro getting ice time on the power play? At all??? Why not give a chance to a rookie forward who at least is going to play like he gives a damn.

43. Oh man that Ribeiro sucks. It takes him 10 minutes to get a shot off that should have been a one-timer.
    Time to ship out Ribeiro & Souray (liability). Souray is B-R-U-T-A-L and Ribeiro clearly does not belong in the NHL.
    I agree with Rob time to give out the beatings Tuesday night, we’re done anyway.
    As for the defense, if your not gonna block the shot get the f@ck outta the way!

This was a good learning experience for some of our young guys. You gotta learn to walk before you can run.
    I still believe we’re 3 pieces away to the puzzle away.
    1. True Power Forward 2. A Real #1 D-Man (Jovo or Redden) 3. 2nd Line Centre (Richards or Savard)

It’s truly sad what has happened to this francise. July 1st if FREE AGENCY we better see some activity BOB!

44. #45 Joe says:
    May 1, 2006 at 2:18 am

Welcome to the new, softer NHL. Pretty soon it will be a non-contact sport if this trend is allowed to continue. ‘Don’t touch Brind’Amour or he’ll scream for a penalty’… which he’ll get, so the Hurricanes can score another ugly goal. Pathetic.

Anyway…

I honestly don’t think the Canadiens are done in this series. I think they’ll do something in Game 6 that they haven’t yet done (but certainly should have) – put it all out there and play like they’ve nothing to lose. They can relax now, stop squeezing their sticks too tightly and start punishing Carolina’s players for all their bullshit. Turn them loose. Let them run and gun it all they want. And they’ll win. And then suddenly, all of the pressure’s back on Carolina–a team not ready for the playoffs–heading back to Raleigh for Game 7.

After all, what do they have to lose? Other than the series, which is already lost if they continue the way they are. Go out and crash the f**k out of Carolina’s net in Game 6 and watch what happens!

45. This is a young team…one of the youngest teams in the NHL and they are learning.There will be changes this summer …you bet.I believe in what the last of stevejur has said ..makes sence.Joe we made ,I believe TWO big mistakes in this series.Letting Brind’Amour skate around without so much as a hard look.And not replacing Campain K with an AHL centre(Bonk is clearly out of place up on the top line…and was better of where he was producing in his was comfortable spot.) And at least the rookie would have gained some playoff experience.We have a long way to go to win this series but it not over till it’s over.GO HABS!!!

46. #47 ALEX THERIAULT says:
    May 1, 2006 at 6:52 am

The Canes are playing like a bunch a f*ck tarted whiners, they highstick over 5 times a f*cking game and when tey get hit they eaither dive or complain…

47. #48 Jack says:
    May 1, 2006 at 9:03 am

Carolina did not ‘win’ last night, the Habs won it for them. Let’s be honest, if the Canadiens were spotting the ‘Canes a game, they could not have done it better than last night. did everyone see what happened when the Habs woke up with 4 minutes left in the game (oh yeah, thanks for for bonehead penalty, Radek)? The ‘Canes were in a panic.

You can’t blame the refs for the lame power plays last night: How do we explain the brutal power plays, the 0% blind passes, the lack of proper forechecking… except for one line and a precious couple of players (njcluding Begin), the Habs did not put in an effort last night — what’s Ribeiro doing out there??? How can a team with such a bad defense make the Habs power play look so lousy suddenly? Ribeiro and Zednik for two (but not the only two) are afraid of crashing the net giving the ‘Canes penalty killers plenty of time to go to the corners and cover the point.

On the other hand……
    The Walking Sticks are sitting in front of Huet with no fear their teeth will get knocked out. No wonder they can only score goals on the power play when they have an extra guy parked in front/on top of Huet!

So much for a rant. It’s not easy to correct, but the Habs who won the first 2, and should have won the third game, CAN come back. Winning at home CAN happen (the lousy ‘Canes proved it last night) and, with a few more quality shots on goal, the Habs CAN score. I agree with Joe, this series is not over. But it depends on better effort.

48. #49 god sab the queen says:
    May 1, 2006 at 10:47 am

get behind the sabs! i mean – try to win this out, but then get behind the sabs!

49. #50 marcintouch says:
    May 1, 2006 at 11:00 am

As much as I would like to pretend it’s not, this series is most definitely over. I don’t see the depth necessary to outwit a well-coached, disciplined and confident Carolina. Koivu was much more important to this team than anyone could have anticipated by his points production alone. Too many of our players seem to have no earthly idea what they’re doing. Ryder is one-dimensional, like the ball launcher in a batting cage. Zednik only knows one move, powering along the boards with one hand on the stick, and it only seems to work one time out of twenty. Kovalev is a diva, brilliant one minute, aloof the next. Bonk is past it. I don’t think much of Perezhogin, but others seem to, so I’ll reserve judgement on him for now. Begin and Murray have energy to burn, but they’re not that talented. The future of this team is Plekanec, Higgins, Komisarek. I see Plekanec as captain of the Habs someday.

But until then, I will likely watch us lose again tomorrow night. Another $150 worth of masochistic brutality.