All Square

• After returning home to Montreal with an unexpected 2-0 record in Carolina the Habs failed to win either home game and now sit even with the surging Canes.

It’s extra frustrating considering the Candiens were very much in both games but failed to put either of them away. With a 2 man advantage and a double minor the Habs could not get that extra goal to make the difference. Cam Ward continues to play strong and the Canes seem to be feeding off it.

More questionable refereeing. Zednik stick in the face, Markov’s stick in the face unpenalized. It’s now bordering on a joke here. With the Canadiens Captain out with a gruesome eye injury the sticks continue to fly wildly and unpenalized.

What happens now? Will the Canadiens be able to shrug it off and take the Canes out of it? Or have the Canes found their game and ready to roll over the Habs?

Other than the game 1 debacle each game has been decided by 1 goal. The Canadiens have showed they can play with this team and it’s looking more and more like it’ll go seven games.

One thing is certain, home ice advantage has meant absolutely nothing in this series. Both teams losing all of their home games and winning only on the road. For whatever reason the Canadiens play better in the playoffs on the road and with 2 of the possible remaining 3 in Carolina that looks to be an advanatage.

1. I would never really accuse a team coached by Peter Laviolette as either being well coached or disciplined. Chepa and lucky, maybe. The Canadiens are playing like a bunch of pansies. Ten hits for Montreal last night as compared to the Colorado Avalanche who had 41 hits in their game. It doesn’t come down to talent; Carolina certainly has not shown any talent this series. It comes down to heart and effort. The Canadiens need to put the players who aren’t showing either heart or effort in the pressbox especially Ribeiro, and bring on their players who have actually thrown a check before in their career. Unless they start showing that they can do this, I would certainly put my $150 somewhere else.

2. #2 Rob says:
    May 1, 2006 at 1:44 pm

Yes, welcome to the new NHL where you can stick a team’s captain in the eye, repeatedly kick at a team’s goaltender, and then finally to top it all off run a team’s goaltender. This kind of stuff never happened to the Canadiens when I lived in Montreal, and if it did, the Habs usually found their own way to stop it. In the playoffs, you are either a talented player or you are a grinder, too many of the current Canadiens are playing like neither of these, and should be sitting in the press box come gametime.

The Montreal team that got it done two decades ago was not a talented team; they had two full lines of career grinders and fighters (John Kordic, Mario Tremblay, Chris Nilan, Brian Skrudland, Mike McPhee, Bob Gainey, etc.) If the referees are not going to call the truly flagrant stuff then it is upto the Habs to demand respect from Carolina in their own way. I feel like I am watching amateur, international referees who have a certain quota to hand out before the game is all done or much worse, basketball style refereeing. Meanwhile, the league is trying desperately to convince fans that since scoring is up in the playoffs, we are all happy.

Speaking of taking cheap shots against hockey’s most storied franchise, somebody should remind Harry Neale, Ron MacLean, Don Cherry, and the rest of the TO based Hockey Night in Canada crew who actually pays their frickin’ salaries. I’ll give them a hint; it’s not the citizens of Carolina. I have never seen broadcasters who are actively rooting for a non-Canadian team. Anyone reading this, please send in a letter to the producers of HNIC to let them know that they owe their livelihood to Canadian (including Canadien) taxpayers! Jack Todd suggested a boycott of Labatt and Canadian Tire; throw the CBC in there too, and I’m there!

3. #3 Rob says:
    May 1, 2006 at 3:20 pm

Sorry, be sure to send your comments to the CBC about their crew and brilliant commentating on the Canadiens’ games to hnic@cbc.ca. I noticed that they pulled Don Cherry off the Canadiens’ broadcast (well deserved following his gloating when the Canadiens lost game 3 in overtime); one can only hope that this is a permanent move on the part of the CBC.

4. #4 Phil says:
    May 1, 2006 at 4:21 pm

REMEMBER GUYS THE BEAN TOWN UP 3 GAMES and lost….Don’t forget this team 5 on 5 are not as good as the Habs. Gainey is no slouch have faith we will prevail!!

5. #5 Joe says:
    May 1, 2006 at 5:30 pm

The Boston series was different. The Habs mounted a comeback in that one. The opposite has happened in this series. Although, I don’t feel that momentum has anything to do with this series at all, and thus I feel that the Habs are still very much ‘in it’. After all, Carolina couldn’t even come out and bury the Habs’ hopes in Game 5. Instead they came out and only managed a an unimpressive 2-1 win (in which they scored a couple of ugly powerplay goals). Whoop-dee.

Throw everything–from a relentless offensive attack to a plethora of thundering bodychecks–at that team in Game 6 and see what happens.

Carolina does not deserve to advance. They haven’t earned it. And this will become evident in the second round, if the Habs allow them to make it there.

6. #6 marcintouch says:
    May 1, 2006 at 5:36 pm

There’s no doubt that if Carolina makes it past us, they’ll get a rude awakening from a team that will test Cam Ward far more than we did. I’d love to see this team try Ottawa firing on all cylinders.

Does Ottawa have cylinders?

Why can’t we have cylinders too?

…Stupid cylinders.

7. #7 Rob says:
    May 1, 2006 at 6:47 pm

Hey, what happened to the last e-mail about why we should stop picking on Ribeiro… Must have got deleted because of all the F-words. It was brilliant, however, Ribeiro is neither talented nor a grinder, but the Habs should keep him because he’s cute. Sorry, Melissa, not a good criteria for keeping a player on the payroll. Just to get you and Mikey ready for next September when you are cheering him on in St. Louis or Columbus or where ever Gainey decides to ship him out to.

8. #8 Joe says:
    May 1, 2006 at 7:04 pm

“Does Ottawa have cylinders?

Why can’t we have cylinders too?

…Stupid cylinders.”

:-)

9. I haven’t read this much whining since 2002.

10. heyyy so i was woundering about saku.
    how is he doing i havn’t heard much more
    about him so i was hoping you’ve heard
    anymore.

11. oh&&while im at it i have to complement you guys on your fans.
    i had some habs fans sitting next to me sunday night and they
    were awesome! they weren’t rude and obnoxious like most fans i
    have sat next to that were cheering for the opposing team.

oh and i also appologize for those more than rude canes fans out
    there. there were some canes fans being extremley rude to the habs
    fans next to me. which was more than irratating. so agian i apologize
    to other habs fans that have/had the same experience.

12. #12 Rob says:
    May 1, 2006 at 8:13 pm

Thanks b*black.

I personally appreciate your comments and concern. So far as we know Saku still cannot see out of his left eye.

I am glad to hear that the Canadiens (and their fans) have turned into such a bunch of gracious losers (sorry that should have said, gracious in defeat.) I am also happy to hear that the Habs fans were to your taste, and sorry if my earlier remark about your captain kicking/running our goaltender bothered you. Don’t worry, we won’t get upset about any rude canes fans/players; that’s not our nature anymore besides I’m sure that Bettman will arrange to assess penalties based on actions or sayings of the fans in future years.

Sorry, b*black, it’s just that I am not used to this new NHL yet. I sort of liked the old NHL where penalties were actually called when players did things that actually hurt other players, resulted in a scoring opportunity or took a scoring opportunity away. The game used to make some sense, but I’ll get used to it. If not, there is always monster truck rallys, right.

13. #13 Michael Morgan says:
    May 1, 2006 at 8:44 pm

Well Well, here it is the eleventh hour for the Habs and the atlast real test for the whole lot of ‘em from the bench on down. I truly believe that this is the moment that coaches prove their greatness, do you remember the infamous stick measurement fiasco that turned the series around and Jacque Demers won a Stanley Cup behind the bench. Something has to be created from a strategic point of view at the coaching level because the way it is going now we know what the outcome is going to be. Gainey and Carbonneau have to manufacture a turning point that will ignite the team. Brind’amor, Ward are very ordinary players playing to our weaknesses, if you doubt that think Carolina versus New Jersey. Coaches build the blue print with the players they have and the skill level they possess.Let me give you an example; the Battle of Hastings in the year 1066. King Harold of England was expecting William the Conquerer to come breezing over from France but in the meantime the Vikings had arrived up north yikes..the Vikes are here. So he takes his troops up to meet them and they were big haiiry buggers with new weapons.So he DEVISED A WINNING STRATEGY. He met the Vikings head on for a bit and then he ordered his men to run away, which they did into the forest. The old Vikes were delighted, they hooted and hollered and declared victory. In the meantime Harry and his troops quietly surrounded the celebrating Vikings and rushed them from all sides. They were shocked and badly defeated..they got suckered. Bob Gainey is at least as clever as a thousand year old King with nothing but a broad axe and catapult.
    King Gainey, Prince Carbo…let’s plot together.

1029

14. ohhh shooot your remarks about brindamour im sure were out of frustration as was mine in return. the reffing…ahhh yea has been ruff. and i agree it would be nice if they’d actually pay attention and use that whistle they got for a reason. Its never good to see a high stick like that go without a whistle.

mann i was hopping to hear some better news about saku i hate it that happened but keep us posted if you hear anything newww best wishes goes out to him and the habs

good luck tuesday =)

May 1, 2006 at 9:34 pm

lol thats a great story mike morgan but i totally agree with you the habs really need to surprise the canes and win game six and then get the canes scared and thinking in game 7

16. #16 Rob says:
    May 1, 2006 at 9:41 pm

And all the best to you too, b*black. Don’t hurt yourself banging those ThunderStix together on Thursday, y’hear.

17. #17 Joe says:
    May 1, 2006 at 9:54 pm

Anyone catch the missed high-stick on Brendan Witt in last night’s Sharks-Predators game? He was bleeding rather profusely from the mouth and they missed it entirely. Or how about the play tonight where Shanahan bulled right over Roloson and skated away a free man. Maybe they need 6 officials on the ice? How about 10?

I feel like a real sucker even watching the playoffs anymore. The National Hockey League is comprised of a bunch of incompetent twits who, I’m convinced, have conspired to spoil my only form of sports entertainment. Bastards.

18. #18 CanesHockeyGuy says:
    May 1, 2006 at 9:59 pm

I am a Carolina fan (who is bored at the moment) curious to hear what Montreal fans have to say about the series. I will agree with a majority of you that Carolina has created some penalties that were not called. Such as William’s a inability to keep his stick on the ice and Roddy interfering Huet. However this is vice versa. If you don’t want players such as Brind’Amour, Cullen, and Williams crashing your net, then perhaps you need a simple defensive strategy: Don’t let them do. The Canadiens have left open Canes shooters blinding Huet and easily able to receive passes. What happens? Carolina scores. Again, simple solution: Don’t let them do.

I will have to be the bad guy and disagree by saying Carolina is playing badly. I don’t think they are. I do believe Gerber was the main source of the problem. You can’t trust a bald-headed Swiss man in net (especially in the playoffs). I never liked him and I’m glad he’s out. Well, to get back on track. I don’t believe they are playing badly. After all, they didn’t snatch the number 2 seed by playing badly and certainly didn’t win 3 in a row playing badly. However, I have an idea perhaps to explain WHY Carolina was not playing as good as they normally do. The answer is Huet. They’ve had virtually no experience against him, not knowing his goaltending style. I believe they’ve finally gotten some idea which explains 3 wins in a row.

No series is over until it’s REALLY over. There is a another game on Tuesday and it should be a goodie.

19. #19 Gumper says:
    May 1, 2006 at 11:50 pm

I know this will sound out of character for me but i’ll say it anyway. On the whole, “preparation H is good”.. seriously though, It was real nice to see Carolina rush through the standings all season. They had tough times in Hartford and were perennial “cellar dwellars” almost every season and when they made the playoffs, it was mostly a first round exit guarantee for them. I know I shat (is that really past tense for shit?), on Brind’amour the other night, but the truth is, he’s a total warrior who’s ground it out in the NHL for well over a decade, paying his dues with the likes of the then lowly St. Louis Blues and the disappointing Flyers in the 90′s. Staal’s a no brainer for a future star! Love this kid. There’s enough to build around even after getting rid of the dinosaurs like Recchi and Weight at season’s end. You can only go “up” with a team like Carolina… excellent coaching too, hence the turn around for them in this series. (and i’m not just sucking arse here… i’m just a hockey fan first)
    It’s the battle between people’s chosen colours that get emotions running high for fans… especially HAB fans who have been there and had some great memories of championships. It a real pillar of pride for the city of Montreal. it’s a fantastic city.. a real one of a kind. I’ve never felt looser and had more good times anywhere else! .. so Good Luck and enjoy the Montreal – Ottawa series ;-)

GO HABS’ GHOSTS

20. #20 melissa (habs fan) says:
    May 2, 2006 at 5:14 pm

This goes out to “Canes hockey guy” you are right about the fact that the Canes aren’t playing well because i think that the only reason why they are still in the game is because of ward and because the habs have begun to go down…:( other than that i don’t think that the canes are playing terrifically!! i’m not just saying that because i’m a habs fan…. nyways for all of you habs fans can you please tell me who your fav player are in the team??? just curious, mine is ribeiro because i think that he is a good player and he is extremely hot x0x0x :) :) and i also want to say that i’m very proud of theo… for all of you theo fans can you please tell me what you think about him??? anyways i g2g so please answer my questions and i’ll be back 2morrow to keep giving my opinion …ciao x0x0x GO HABS GO all the way…. stanley cup here we come ~*~*~

21. #21 melissa (habs fan) says:
    May 2, 2006 at 5:26 pm

wow this is melissa (habs fan) again i’m sooooo bored and nervous cuz i really hope that the habs are gonna win the next two games….we need to go to the next round…plz plz plz can you guys answer my question on the top message #70
    omg i just realized that this message is going to be the 71st message…that’s mike ribeiro’s number :) anyways if any of you live in laval or near laval did any of you go to the mall centreea laval in best buy to meet ribeiro and bouillon omg that was totally amazingi can’t believe that ribeiro is that much hotter in person :) anyways Go Habs Go habs fans don’t forget to mae some noise and to answer my questions… i’m on everyday so i’ll see your anwmers!!! thanks :) xoxox

22. #22 habs all the way (#1 fan) says:
    May 2, 2006 at 5:33 pm

:> go habs go we can do it, the players have a great coach, great fans;) and great team mates so we can do it just focus and never give up!!!
    Nah Nah Nah Nah, Nah Nah NAh Nah, hey hey hey, good bye to the canes ……hahaha just kidding the canes are kinda also playing good but i truelly belive that the habs are going to take over??? let me know about what you think???
    :( :( i wish i had playoff tickets :( :(
    but whatever i’m still a number 1 habs fan from @ home- i’m probably the loudest in my whole nabourhood :) GO HABS GO
    BOO CANES BOO srry for all ou canes fans

23. #23 mel (#1 fan) says:
    May 4, 2006 at 5:10 pm

i can’t believe the canadians are eliminated… they played so good on the final game and i believe that they deserved to win the game but i guess it just wasn’t meant for them this year but all opther hockey teams better whatch out cuz next season we will come back full forse and we will make it to the end!!!:)
    how come nobody is ever writing their comment anymore??? i know your all depressed but please keep writing…

24. #24 mel (#1 fan) says:
    May 7, 2006 at 11:45 am

Rob even if ribeiro is hot thats not the only reason why i think he should comme bach its also cuz he has talent and potential he just needs the cahnce to show it……

25. #25 Norma Younie says:
    June 12, 2006 at 9:13 pm

I hate and detest Don Cherry’s rudeness- his arrogance- (Oh sure that’s what people like but really… why does it have to put other people down in order to get Don his points???? It is disgusting – a very strange thing- I like his Canadianism and love of hockey – but… really. what is so disgusting is his weird way of obtaining power thru demeaning others – is that all he can do???
    he really makes me mad… you suck Don Cherryy-