Back to Hockey

• The Canadiens are in Toronto to take on the Leafs after a long rest in which they saw no action since Tuesday.

The Habs and Leafs have traded shoot out victories this season with both teams winning on the road.

On paper things point to a slight advantage for the Canadiens.

They are rested. The Leafs are now without Captain Mats Sundin and starting goalie Andrew Raycroft both nursing injuries.

How much rest is enough?

The Habs haven’t played since Tuesday. This could have two possible results. Either they are rested, healed and ready to go after the break. Or they come out slow and lackadaisical after being away for too long. The latter often happens to playoff teams who wait too long after dispatching their opponents quickly.

Being it’s a Habs and Leafs game, it should not be too hard to ‘get up’ for it.

The Canadiens played very poorly against the Leafs in their last game until they managed a late rally to send it to a shoot out. Another shoot out and another guaranteed Leaf point is not the most desirable outcome.

Abeischer gets the start tonight, his 3rd consecutive against the Leafs. Is this something we can expect to see all year? Designated goalies for designated teams? Abby for Leafs, Huet for Bruins. Maybe Pat Jablonski is available for Ranger games.

November 12, 2006 at 9:17 pm

Stop living in the past

November 12, 2006 at 9:21 pm

oh ya by the way ch fan 1 in you say habs stands for habitants but in your 33rd post it stands for habnots so tell us all which one is it.Your just digging your hole deeper my friend

3. #3 CH fan1 says:
    November 12, 2006 at 9:48 pm

What’s your problem? Do you dislike french canadians? What’s so wrong with a french canadian city having french canadian players? Are you a racist? you sure sound it; I wouldn’t expect you to understand! You sound to young,and immature.I’ve said what needed to be said in a very succinct manner, and if you wish to denegrate my remarks, then maybe we should do the same for yours. I don’t need to justify my comments. this blog is open to anyone, even the likes of you!

4. #4 CH fan1 says:
    November 12, 2006 at 9:54 pm

Hey Pactum serva: What city do you live in? I’ll bet it’s Toronto. Now, I want to vomit!People who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones. By the way, your grammar is awful. learn how to spell and articulate, because we don’t understand you.

5. #5 Superdave says:
    November 12, 2006 at 10:11 pm

Has anyone thought that maybe since Philly is playing like garbage, they’d be willing to trade for Simon Gagne? I’d trade Kovalev and Samsonov for him, maybe throw in a 1st round pick if they’re still not willing.

6. quick question for CH Fan#1 if we drafted your all star french team or went out and bought your so called Vincent Lecavalier,Martin St. Louis,Martin Brodeur,Simon Gagne,Mario Lemieux….and had the same record of 8-4-3
    would you be happy with that…just wondering?????

“nor would I expect an american to understand the tradition displayed here.But the emblemâ€?CHâ€?, is a symbol of excellence”

oh yeah that was a really good point….hmmmm does Chris Higgins come from Quebec??? oh no he doesn`t he is American and has played 13 games and has 13 points and is one of the best 2 ways players..interesting and I heard that
    he hoping to be drafted by “DA HABS” because he loves what CH represents.

well good luck with your cause keep me posted.

anyhoo… hey Pactum Serva between Edmonton at Colorado who do like? reason why I ask is I want to play “mise O jeu” and I`m stuck on this one

November 12, 2006 at 10:28 pm

no need for personal attacks CH FAN 1 remember? Put that in your pipe and smoke it lol

November 12, 2006 at 10:29 pm

i live in kingston buddy MULLER TOWN

November 12, 2006 at 10:32 pm

im not a racist but all everyone needs to do is read your posts and it clearly shows that u r lol

November 12, 2006 at 10:37 pm

Luckey when do they play?Edmonton played this afternoon and lost against st louis but if its tomorrow id take the oil

11. #11 fanatic1 says:
    November 12, 2006 at 10:43 pm

Does anyone know if this year’s draft is filled with talented players?Because, I think the habs should trade if a team low in the standings for their #1 draft pick! Let’s see, who can we trade with? Philadelphia? LA?

12. #12 CH fan1 says:
    November 12, 2006 at 10:53 pm

I think lucky and Pactum are the same person, because they aren’t smart enough to change their slang language, and they still can’t spell! Now it’s my time for fun.It figures that someone from Kingston, ONTARIO, (leafs country), wouldn’t understand profound and educated remarks. I stayed in Kingston once. What a boring town. No wonder you can’t think straight.

13. #13 fanatic1 says:
    November 12, 2006 at 10:56 pm

Are there any other habs blogs? This one is too boring. Can’t anyone come up with more interesting comments, or ideas?

November 12, 2006 at 10:57 pm

Another personal attack.lol

November 12, 2006 at 11:05 pm

Im done fighting.He was put in his place im out

16. hey Pactum Serva aka Lucky.

what do you think about pick for tommorrow nights games.
    Buffalo over Carolina
    Florida over Washington
    LA HABS over Ottawa (and they better win or else …right CH Fan#1 trade the whole team off if they don`t)
    Philly over Pittsburgh
    Edmonton over Colorado
    San Jose over Los Angeles…..

and oh boy if I win I`m going to give my money to Bob Gainey and so we can get that french superstar…I was thinking Alex Daigle, hey CH Fan#1 would that be something that would interest you??

And don`t knock Kingston

17. #17 smiler2729 says:
    November 12, 2006 at 11:15 pm

Alex Steen is born in Winnipeg to Swedish parents. So he is Canadian.

November 12, 2006 at 11:18 pm

luckey take carolina,wash,habs,philly.edmonton,sharks god luck and thanks

19. #19 CH fan1 says:
    November 12, 2006 at 11:34 pm

Hey Pactum(I mean LUCKY),what a sissy; you need to disguise your remarks? I don’t. I’m going to say anything I want, so you smoke that!Sounds like a smoke screen,anyways.If you’re a habs fan, just enjoy other’s comments without the criticism, because we can do the same to you. nobody made you judge and jury!At least I had the opportunity to watch the habs win about 10 cups. Not too shabby.So I think I know alittle bit more about this team, than you. And you don’t even live here; you live in leafland!

November 12, 2006 at 11:46 pm

Hey CH FAN 1 have you ever talked to a woman without having to give your credit card number?

21. CH fan 1….I was born in Montreal and spent a great deal of time growing up in eastern Ontario not far from Kingston. I have lived in cosmopolitan cites such as Vancouver, Toronto, and Melbourne Australia. I have spent a great deal of time in the city of Kingston and the surrounding area. It may not be as exciting as Montreal but it certainly has alot going for it and there really is no need to make such a negative comment about a place that you have only spent one hour visiting. Finally; I too have had the privilage of seeing the Hab’s win many Stanley Cup’s. This certainly does’nt make me a better or more knowledgable fan than the next person…after all it wasn’t me winning the Cup’s, it was the organization. On a lighter note I am glad to see that Kostitsyn has been called up and hopefully they will put him with Sammy and Kovy and return Perezhogin to the third line where he is more effective.

22. #22 rlarouc says:
    November 13, 2006 at 1:20 am

fanatic1, check out…

23. Euro-Sceptics.

Every last one. Bastards.

If there is nothing worse than flame wars, its blog comment flame wars. Childish, Immature, Petty, Foolish, Self-Indulgent and most of all just down right hopeless.

Talking about pride and teamwork and then arguing like children about the same things.

For shame.

24. #24 I am Canadien says:
    November 13, 2006 at 9:14 am

I choose not to listen to any media or vistit any hockey websits after watching the Leafs dismantle my beloved Habs. now that all of my emotion has gone away after that HORRIBLE effort!! Like many of you I was PISSED!! Especially watching the game with Leafs fans in K/W.
    In any case, I do beleive it is time for Gainey to start thinking about tinkering with the chemistry of theis team before it is too late. The Habs will make the playoffs with this team but will not go far if they cannot get up for the big games. Habs vs Leafs are BIG GAMES!!
    Therefore, we must start scowering the leagues for players (like Simon Gagne) and consider giving up a few of these part time russians. Kovolev and the other ‘ovs’ is a fanastaticlly skilled players but DAMN; shoot the god damn puck!!
    More hard nose play making is required to balance the skills and it is time to retool!!!
    PS: If the Penguins move to the Kitchener Waterloo area and the Habs continue down this road in the coming years then I have no choice to consider changing my allegence!!

Habs for now!!

25. Just an opinion for everyone!

It’s not about french,english,german,swedish,or muslim players (just a though why no muslim hockey players?!) The reason we all love hockey is because it’s a fast paced truely gritty sport involving determination,skill,speed and EMOTION!
    The problem with the Habs right now is, when you take away the emotion, you lose all the other ingrediants! The habs on some nights play their heart out and on others (LAST SATURDAY!)play like they’re just showing up for a paycheck!

Now! the question becomes (And the answer is not get rid of the europeans!!!)How do you get a team to become EMOTIONAL! I would believe it’s “part” of the coaches job!

Our biggest issue right now is that M.Carbonneau needs to teach his players to be EMOTINALLY DISCIPLINED! If the habs can find that balance, with the team they have now (including a healthy HIGGS-DANDY and BOUILLON)(and a lot of you will disagree with this coment!) They have the talent required to be a contender!

Go HABS GO !

OH YEAH AND HABS FAN#1 wERE ALL ON THE SAME WAGON IN HERE SAVE THE BASHING FOR THE LIKES OF habsuks AND THE REST OF THOSE LOSERS!

26. It’s become very simple for the other teams.
    Close down the first line and let the other lines beat you.
    The second and fourth lines suck. Personally I feel that the
    3rd line of Bonk, Johnson and Latendresse (before Higgins injury) was the most productive.

Man I’m starting to get that sick feeling in my stomach,
    the feeling that tough times are ahead.

27. #27 fanatic1 says:
    November 13, 2006 at 10:53 am

I have to say folks, I have never seen so many personal attacks, as well as simply immature,uninformed comments, and profanity. What’s wrong with you people?This blog was formed for issues involving hockey, and more specifically, the Montreal Canadiens. If you can’t respect this topic, go to a blog involving your issues.There is no room for bashing or wars.
    True, everyone is entitled to their opinion, so make it count.Nobody should be put down for stating what’s on their mind, as long as it involves hockey.
    Since we are mostly hab fans, we want what’s best for the habs. If the habs had a team resembling Buffalo, or points similar, would we be upset? Would we be complaining? Absolutely not! we are frustrated, disappointed, and angry. It’s called EMOTION!There is nothing wrong with wanting your team to play better.It’s not about a player’s country of origin.ie. Mats Sundin is a terrific player;Kiprusoff is a great goalie; Does it matter where they were born? No! As long as they perform on the ice, that’s all that counts.Whatever ails the habs,will not be fixed overnight.We must be patient.After all, do you people recall the early years of the Ottawa Senators? pretty bad.The pieces need to be put into place. I feel, that right now, there isn’t enough chemistry on this year’s team. How it will be corrected, I don’t know.Should we be satisfied with just making the playoffs? Probably not, because we expected improvements from last year to this year. But consider the fact, that fans in Chicago NEVER have the opportunity to see their team in the playoffs; we are lucky and spoiled. So, is the glass half empty,or half full?Half full of course.Half a loaf is better than NONE! remember, losing 1 game is not the end of the world; if we lose 8 or 10 in a row, then there’s reason for concern.
    So, let’s just respect others and their comments; we need not agree or disagree.The main issue concerning me, is the lack of discipline on this team.
    Last night I watched on the dish, the game between Chicago and Columbus. Chicago took 8 penalties in a row! Talk about no discipline.Let’s not end up like that team!

28. Wow, has this blog gotten entertaining or what! And Snake hasn’t shown up yet to try and go after me!

PACTEM SERVA and CH FAN 1, let’s just come down and not get personal. You both have excellent points. The point is that this team neads more NORTH AMERICANS.

While it would be preferable to have canadians, Ameriacans can be pretty good to, just look at the ones the Habs have now and the ones who they drafted:(Higgins,Komisarek,1st rounder last year David Fischer).

There’s one last thing CH FAN 1 nead’s to understand though, THE QUEBEC DRAFT RULE IS GONE. The Habs had no oppurtunity to draft Lemieux, Lecavelier,or Brodeur. Roy wanted to leave and Savard screwed up by not drafting Beregeron(45th overall, second round to the Bruins), drafting Eric Choinard instead of Simon Gagne in the first round in 1997 and he dosen’t want to come to Montreal, No one knew that St.Louis would be any good,they let go of François Beauchemin. The Habs don’t have the same monopoly they used to on French Canadian players. And look how much trouble that mentality almost got them into in 1993. They offered the sun, the moon and the stars to Ottawa for Alexander Daigle.

Just like the Habs will have no chance at drafting Angelo Esposito coming out of the QMJHL, they will not be able to draft or get every French Canadian star.

29. I’m looking at the Habs draft record through the 1990′s and the early 2000′s,before Gainey, and I’ve got to say it was either boom or bust:

1993:Saku Koivu, Rory Fitzpatrick and Darcy Tucker were the 3 out of the 11 players they drafted that made it.(1 left).

1994:Jose Theodore(second round), Tomas Vokoun(9th round). Brad Brown was their 1st rounder. Neither player is with the team.

1995:Ryan Terry was their 1st rounder, 8th overall. No player is in the NHL.

1996:Mathieu Garon(second round),Aaron Asham(3rd round),Brett Clark(6th round). 3 out of 9 who made it. None of them are with the team.

1997:Jason Ward was their 1st rounder and the only one out of the 11 who were drafted. With the Rangers now.

1998:Mike Ribeiro(second round), François Beauchemin(3rd round),Andrei Markov(6th round),Micheal Ryder(8th round). Eric Choinard was their 1st rounder and Savard was banging his head for years that he didn’t take Gagne. This was a pretty good draft. Ribeiro is in Dallas and Beauchemin is in Anaheim.

1999:They didn’t have a first rounder, no one out of the 11 players drafted made the NHL.

2000:Ron Hainsey(1st rounder), Marcel Hossa(1st rounder). Hainsey was drafted 13th overall, Hossa 16th. Only players to make it. Hainsey is a solid #5 guy in Columbus, and Hossa will never be his brother, out with the Rangers.

2001:Mike Komisarek(1st rounder, 7th overall), Alexander Perezhogin(1st rounder, 25th overall), Tomas Plekanec(3rd rounder). Duncan Milroy is in the minors and could make it as a 3rd-4th line guy. 4 out of the 8 with a shot.

2002:Chris Higgins(1st rounder, 14th overall), Jonathan Ferland(7th round). Two out Six with NHL potential. Higgins will be a star if healthy.

2003:Andrei Kotstitsyn(1st rounder, 10th overall), Maxim Lapierre(2nd round),Ryan O’Byrne(3rd round),Corey Locke(4th round). All in the minors but all have a shot at the show.

The drafts got better as they went along but if you want someone to blame, blame the G.M.’s before Gainey for their drafting ability.

Gainey drafts:Kyle Chipchura, Alexei Yemelin, Mikhail Grabovski, Mark Streit, Carey Price, Guillaume Latendresse, Mathieu Aubin, Matt D’Agostini, Sergei Kotstitsyn, David Fischer,Ben Maxwell, Mathieu Carle, Ryan White, Pavel Valentenko.

Gainey has easily outdrafted his predessescers, Chipchura: captain of Team Canada, Alexei Yemelin:heiled in russia as the next Kasperistis, Price:A good goalie on a bad team in the WHL only reaon their winning, Latendresse:already on the team, Sergei Kotstitsyn:Rookie of the year in the OHL last year, Maxwell:top 10 in scoring in the WHL as an 18 year old and a CENTRE, Carle:good offensive defenceman, Valentenko:apparently he’s okay.

The 90′s drafts are the reason this team is only starting to get good.

30. #30 Team Spirit says:
    November 13, 2006 at 2:37 pm

I can’t believe some things i read in these posts: Too many penalties means bad coaching? What the F%$#? Yeah your right, I guess it’s Carbo’s fault if Souray and Markov put the puck in the stands, if Niinnima grabs on to a guys shirt. Great thinking there.

31. Team Spirit, I understand your point. In the end the guys are responsible for their actions. But as any player will tell you, coaching has a lot to do with it. Drilling it into a player’s mind helps. It’s all a matter of honing the instincts that are usually already these.

Carbo is doing a great job — it’s not “his” fault. It’s still very early in the season for these tendencies to appear, and to be corrected. There’s no question that being a league leader in penalties is a fault the coaching staff has a responsibility to correct.

The goose-egg they laid on the weekend exposed some of the issues on the team, including the mindless penalties — the coaching staff can focus on those through the next few days allowing for these failures (and, yes, they are failures that led to this loss) to be corrected.

Finally… Habs#1…. great post. One really gains an appreciation for Gainey (if you didn’t already have one). Fact is that previous GMs (post-Pollock) were either lousy or lucky, or both, but never very wise.

32. #32 I am Canadien says:
    November 13, 2006 at 4:18 pm

Habs#1: Very asstute analysis on the past; impacting the present. Yes; there is a big light at the end of the tunnel. Gainey is a very smart GM who will only improve our scouting and drafting. After all, he is dealing with lots of ghosts from bad habs mgmnt in the last 10-15yrs.
    With that said; Gainey is in full control and will not hit the panic(trade) button any time soon. I just hope the motivational button can be found soon.

November 13, 2006 at 6:26 pm

sorry guys for all of the nonsense that was posted but i was just trying to get my point across to him.Drafting frecnch canadians doesnt mean your team will get better,there has to be a mix.

34. No worries Pactum Serva I still like you, by the way dude I really don`t think you need to apoloize for anything.

On to more important matters at hand I took your advice by picking Washington and Philly but took Buffalo over Carolina and took our Habs over the Sens (so no traded talk tonight …thank god)
    Now I`m just waiting from Edmonton to beat up on Colorado.

Thanks again Pactum…..your a class act

35. CH fan1 I’m pretty sure there have been some famous French Canadian flops from the teams past. I seem to remember quite a few flame outs in the early / mid 90′s. Gilbert Dionne Patrick and Stephane LeBeau etc… Good players are good players, nationality and region have little to do with it today. If a player has a habit for taking a game off… trade him.