Big Win

• On the night they retired Ken Dryden’s #29, the Canadiens got a well deserved and much needed win against the Ottawa Senators.

Maybe the ceremony was a little long as the Canadiens stumbled out of the gate conceding a goal less than a minute in. Despite that mistake the Canadiens took control and set the pace of the game for much of the first period and then the remainder of the game.

Had Ray Emery not been so solid early the Canadiens could have put a few more goals on the board. To his credit David Abeischer played extremely well especially late in the third. It’s been a while since Abby put up a W and he looked relieved.

Carbonneau’s message was heard loud and clear and the Canadiens came out skating and playing hard. When the Habs are skating at full speed they give even the best teams a hard time at keeping pace.

Special teams were the story again, a powerplay goal and a shorty sandwiched around a great/lucky long pass to send Mark Streit in alone.

Yes Mark Streit. What a move. He shows glimpses of being a great hockey player and you know why Carbo and Gainey liked this guy so much they even created a spot on the 4th line for him.

Tomas Plekanec is on a bit of a goal scoring streak. It looks like he’s finally gained some confidence after a very slow start. It’s only good news if he becomes a consistent goal scorer.

Hard work pays off. Garth Murray dressed again after being put on waivers not too long ago. Did he bitch and moan? No he shut his mouth and worked hard in practices knowing he technically wasn’t even on the team anymore. And he earned another chance. It’s become clear if you work hard and put forth the effort every night Carbonneau will reward you.

So what is the difference between this team, the team that just beat Ottawa, Buffalo and Atlanta, and the team that gets embarrassed against a floundering Leafs team?

Who are the real Montreal Canadiens?

Which team are they going to enter the playoffs as?

1. #1 HIggy21 says:
    January 31, 2007 at 2:17 pm

Whether we got Drury, Datsyuk, FOrsber, BErtuzzi, J.BLake or Briere Im sure JOhstm woud have something nasty to say about everyone of them. Drury would score 15 goals in the first 25 games then he would miss ONE game with the flu and JOshtm would start saying he was broken goods and that we should never have signed him.

Jason BLake would add alot of itensity to our forwards. Im sure he could get Kovalev more excited. HOwever it seems he is going to be getting a little too much money from what Ive heard.

2. #2 HIggy21 says:
    January 31, 2007 at 2:18 pm

ALthough we should save our pennies for summer of 2008 when Marleau will be looking for a new home. THere is no possiblity that both THornton and MArleau will be in San Jose past next season. NO CHANCE!!!!

3. #3 HIggy21 says:
    January 31, 2007 at 2:21 pm

Joshtm’s choice for 2007 linuep in MOntreal.

Higgins Lapierre Kostisyn
    D Moore Elmer Lach Steve SHutt
    Millroy Gravboski S Kostisyn
    M Trembley Risebrough Lambert

Robinson S. Savard
    Chelios Ludwig
    O’Bryne Jancevski

4. #4 HIggy21 says:
    January 31, 2007 at 2:22 pm

That was he gets his team. Youngsters and old timers.

5. #5 smiler2729 says:
    January 31, 2007 at 2:24 pm

HabsFan, with all due respect, you live on a different planet when it comes to your player assessments and trade wishes. First, Jason Spezza undresses a lot of NHL defencemen because he’s really really good at hockey eh. Duh.
    Second, Sheldon Souray’s more of an asset than a liabilty so get your head on right.
    Third, yes, David Aebischer is good, can be really good, but can also be awful which makes him an average NHL goalie. So what makes you think Detroit or anybody would trade for him in exchange for one of their top line forwards?? Do you think the other 29 GMs of the league are idiots???
    Fourth, why are we so in love with Pavel Datsyuk? Another soft Euro and besides I believe the Red Wings love him more.
    And last, I’m starting to fall in with a lot of you that want to see big Todd “The Assassin” Bertuzzi in le bleu, blanc et rouge.

PS. Ignore joshtm.

6. #6 joshtm says:
    January 31, 2007 at 2:41 pm

For once smiler has some great points, way to go smiler, including not listening to me, how dare as a fan of the habs I complain about the almight Emperor Gainey and his lack of clothes, but if you lot can lend me your special glasses I too can see what a wonderful GM he is and marvel at the scientific and wonderful line changing Carbo…oh the marvel of it all!

7. #7 stevejur says:
    January 31, 2007 at 3:41 pm

I’ll send the text message to Bob, than Bertuzzi it is! lol!

8. #8 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    January 31, 2007 at 3:51 pm

Maybe we could switch him for Begin for Bertuzzi, you know even switch with both on IR back spasms thing….

9. #9 joshtm says:
    January 31, 2007 at 5:41 pm

Anyone know where we can tune into the channel that shows the game that Gainey sees, you know like what Habs#1 wrote and which Pactum agreed with him on, you know where they say Gainey sees a special game, different to what we see? I wonder what Gainey sees when Rivet gives the puck away, does he see it as something else? Or how the rest of the defense kind of stands around while the other team blitzes and basically beat up the habs goalie? I wonder what Gainey sees that we don’t see in that? Or how the habs are basically muscled and forced off their offensive plays, I wonder what Gainey sees, maybe Pactum and Habs#1 can provide us with a special channel that does the play by play for Gainey?

10. #10 Habs#1 says:
    January 31, 2007 at 6:08 pm

You know Pactum, we may have to get a restraining order when it comes to joshtm here. He seems to be obssesed with us.

Gainey might want to consider that to or else josh might just show up on his doorstep weilding a knife.

January 31, 2007 at 6:25 pm

His mom is talking on the message boared lol check it out

12. #12 Habs#1 says:
    January 31, 2007 at 6:30 pm

I had no idea someone could fit that much crack under their dress.

Johstm must be very proud of his mommy.

13. I just wish all the nay sayers would move over to the leafs blog.

14. #14 joshtm says:
    January 31, 2007 at 6:54 pm

Sorry guys i’m just sexually frustrated right now.

15. #15 joshtm's MOM says:
    January 31, 2007 at 8:39 pm

Now boys….play nice.

josh knows he’s not allowed on here after 8:00 pm so you young men should be ok. He will be able to come out and play again tomorrow. Right now he’s arranging his barbies on the bed and is getting ready to say his prayers.
    Can anybody help me by telling me about these pink glasses he wants? Please let me know.
    Have to go now, he gets cranky if I dont tell him a story.

16. #16 doggone R habs says:
    January 31, 2007 at 8:43 pm

realistically, what are our chances of getting Bertuzzi?
    I would prefer him to Forsberg, any day of the week.
    I’m just wondering now, especially with Pittsburgh hot on our heels, which hab team will show up on Thursday. it makes mne feel very uneasy because we have a Jekyll/Hyde team. If they come out flat, and unmotivated, I’ll be very angry and dissapointed. After all, these guys get paid millions as professional athletes, to perform every game. there is no room for slackers, and those that don’t give an honest and hard working effort, should be released or sent to the minors, because we don’t want them! the best way to win the hearts of habs fans, is to give 100% effort! right?

17. #17 stevejur says:
    January 31, 2007 at 9:15 pm

I think are chances are better than anyone’s regarding Bertuzzi.
    Florida sits in 14th place and 8 points out of playoff range.
    If Florida’s in the same situation come trade deadline, Bertuzzi is ours.
    We have a lot to offer Florida. One that comes to mind is goaltending.
    Belfour can’t play forever.

18. #18 Habs#1 says:
    January 31, 2007 at 9:23 pm

Florida has Auld, besides in Vancouver before the Steve Moore incident Bertuzzi never brought it in the playoffs. He’s like a european with a Canadian birth certificate.

19. #19 Rubberman says:
    January 31, 2007 at 9:32 pm

I’m so afraid that there will be no moves prior to the playoffs. If the season would end tonight, Gainey and his team would assess this season as successful (5th place). So, if successful, why change it? That worries me. I’d love to see some success in the playoffs. Make a run at it, make the semi-finals and go to game 7 and win it.

In my eyes, Koivu looks tired. The defense seem to be struggling. 5 on 5, MTL are weak… But, with all this said. This isn’t the year they could win the whole thing. Yeah, a good solid 2nd center would be awesome, but at what cost?

What if? TO get a big name (Cavalier, Thorton, Ignila (sorry about the spelling..), would you trade Huet and Markov or Souray? It would mess this year’s chemistry but it could make for a better team next year…

20. #20 Habs#1 says:
    January 31, 2007 at 10:40 pm

The odds of Lecavelier, Iggy, or JT(or any other superstar) getting traded are worse then George W. Bush being recognized as the greatest U.S. president in history.

No one’s going to make the same mistake Boston did with Thornton. So don’t count on it.

And don’t be surprised if Gainey makes a big splash within a day or two of the trade deadline. He does it every year(Kovalev, Theo). He WILL NOT BE HAPPY TILL THE CUP IS BACK IN MTL. Gainey is probably the most tight liped GM in the league. The media and the fans can’t get anything out of him, he’s like Fort Knox. If you hear it it’s probably not true knowing Gainey.

He’ll make a deal by the deadline almost guarranteed. If the asking price for Forsberg get’s to be to rich for Gainey’s blood(which I believe it will cause Philly will probably be asking for one of the Kotstitsyn bros., Halak or Chipchura), look for one of the following to possibly be coming to MTL and the reason why:

Ladislav Nagy or Shane Doan: Phenoix will start a firesale soon and these two are going to be UFA at the end of the year. Phenoix brass isn’t enamored with Nagy and word out west hear is that Doan’s family(specifficaly his dad) is saying that Doan is sick of playing for a loser and might want to come back to Canada.

Bill Guerin, Petr Cajanek and Keith Tkachuk: The Blues will sell off their impending UFA forwards for some picks and low level prospects and these guys would provide depth up front like Carolina had last year with Rechhi and Weight.

Bryan Smolinski: A UFA at the end of the year and an affordable depth centre. The Blackhawks seem to be interested in Sammy so this could work.

And of course like every year, the Florida contingent(Gary Roberts, Jozef Stumpel, Chris Gratton and Todd Bertuzzi): I for one would not like to see any of these players cause Roberts could break down at any moment, Stumpel is European and Gratton and Bertuzzi, while it their birth certificates may say they were born on Canada, they’re past playoff performances(Gratton with Philly and Bertuzzi with Vancouver)show that they play like overpaid Russians come playoff time.

My dream deal would be Samsonov and Rivet to Edmonton for Jeoffery Lupul and a first round pick. This deal would work out in the end I beleive because Oilers brass isn’t happy with Lupul’s play and the fans expected him to come in and be an immediate 40 goal guy since he was the centrepiece in the Pronger deal.

After the way he broke out in Anaheim last year and led the Ducks in goals in the playoffs last year I believe he just has way to much pressure on him because of who he was traded for and would look great as a right handed shot with Kovalev. He will be a 35-40 goal scorer in the near future(1-2 years) but I don’t think the Oilers will wait that long.

They liked Samsonov, and they still do the way they talk here, and they’re desperated for anyone on defence so they’d be drooling over that package.

Oh, and Gainey would have fleeced them out of an up and coming 40 goal scorer and a high first round pick cause I watch them alot and Sammy and Rivet would not be able to get them into the playoffs.

The trades for the Datsyuk’s(the Red Wings are going to the playoffs so their not going to trade him regardless of his pending UFA status), Lecavelier’s, Thorton’s, and Iggy’s are stuff of dreams, not reality.

21. stevejur your rite on man!Habs#1,first of all ,living on the west coast Iknow the story on big Bert all to well. Let me give u some facts:a)The steve moore thing happened cause steve moore tryed to hospitalize Nasland all game and although Bert was a little to aggresive,Nasland was fine after the game and well, can’t say the same for Moore.To bad it wasn’t that fucker Neil from the sens!!!b)There I NO DOUGHT THE COACH OF COLORADO WAS RESPONSABLE FOR WHAT HAPPENED TO MOORE and he got of way to easy and I hope that goof coach for the Sens is reading this,Murray u are a fuck’n weasle.c) if anyone is playing like euros its the Habs,thats why they need the BURTUZZZZIII,to put some balls back on the HABS,really needed!!!!!! d) THE MAN CAN SCORE,and man do the HABS NEED A GOAL SCORER RITE NOW… Now I can go on and on,trust me.Playing in the home of Hockey would restart his career and set us up nicely for the playoffs, so start calling BARTUZZIII…BARTUZZZIII…BARTUZZZIIII….!!!!!!! AND IT COULD HAPPEN!!!

22. OH yeah, AULD is a back up and will allways be one, trust me and Belfore’s probably gone ” retired” after this year, the Habs got plenty of Goalies so… MAKE THE MOVE BOB!!!!

23. And throw in Robert’s for the next LAFF’S game,he’s got a score to even too!!!

24. #24 doggone R habs says:
    January 31, 2007 at 11:30 pm

what we don’t want is someone else’s problem. So, if a player is being shopped around because he can’t score for his team, why would we want him?
    We need a player who is scoring, but about to come UFA, and the team doesn’t want to end up with nothing for him. Having said that, don’t look now, but there are a few teams breathing down the habs back. leafs won again tonight, as tho I hate them, they did look good the past 2 games. It would be a horrible thought(nightmare), if they made the playoffs and we didn’t.
    habs need to play desperate hockey as tho their life depends on it. every game now is a must win situation, so I hope they come out smoking. 2 of the next 3 games are vs Pittsburgh, so we better play good D, or it could get ugly.

25. That’s rite Doggone ,that’s exactly what other teams are saying about the HABS,which makes Gainey’s job all the tougher… thus FLORIDA.

26. #26 doggone R habs says:
    January 31, 2007 at 11:41 pm

I heard that Knuble is on the trading block too. he would be a great fit here. a good goal scorer. Also read that LA will be sellers as well. Does anyone think much of Brent Sopel on D? In case you missed, Zednik has worn out his welcome in Washington, and on his way out, again.

27. THE WRITINGS ON THE WALL ,BERTUZZI AND ROBERTS…

28. SOPELS hot and cold kind of D man ,not the biggest aswell, got a good blue line shot and play making capabiltys.POOR ZEDNIK,MAN WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM?

29. #29 Habs#1 says:
    January 31, 2007 at 11:54 pm

Xhabsfan, I saw the hit Moore put on Naslund and while it was dirty it does not condoan what Bertuzzi did.

Under no circumstances should you sucker punch a guy from behind. No matter what he did in the past.

Unless it’s some guy who’s been sleeping with your wife, the guy who ran over your child or Joshtm, you have no right to do what Bertuzzi did.

He’s a moron and a coward and I for one never want to see him put on the CH, and I stand by my statement that he dosen’t play with heart.

30. Did u see the game?Habs #1 ,and what if it was Neil CRIPPLING Koivu WITH A SHOULDER SHOT, THATS OK ,EH.!!!

31. Habs#1,look at the career stat’s on steve moore, it will give u more insite on really what happend, the goon got gooned! During Gretz time with OILERS, WHAT WOULD OF HAPPENED To Moore or Neil or Tucker. And what ever happens to players that back cheak other players in the boards , like savage or cole… nothing! Hell, I remember SURGE SAVARD CROSS CHEAKING AN OPPONITS TEATH TRU THERE FACE,SHIT HAPPENS MAN, lots of emotion in pro sports.Anyho,BERT WAS REALLY SORRY,WE ALL SAW THAT ,DID’NT WE,AND COLORADO,PASSED ON Moore when he was healed,again ,what does that tell u man? Colorado was just using him Dude,go figure…

32. Im sure glad ur not juge and jury habs#1, cause I’m sure every-one’s made mistakes and with U ,we would pay to the grave ,never able to atonne .BY THE WAY habs#1, I WOULD PAY TO SEE YOU CALL BERTUZZI A MORON AND A COWARD TO HIS FACE…HA ,HA ,HA, HA, I BET YOU’DE RUN FAST YELLING 911…911… SO DROP IT !!

33. #33 Jack Tornton says:
    February 1, 2007 at 1:31 am

I believe acquiring Todd Bertuzzi will be a possitve addition to our team. He has similar qualities to Guillaume Latendresee. I admit that I am one of those fans waiting Latendresse to be a superstar at the end of every game. Lol. I wish that would happen. I always want him to explode in a game and start scoring goals like there will be nor tomorrow. Comming back to my point, acquiring Bertuzzi will have a positive influence on our greates suture star, LATENDRESSE. I for one believe he will be a superstar anytime soon. Except the mistake Bertuzzi had commitied on that day he injured Moore, he has always been known as one of the best if not the best power forward in the league.

Let’s aquire him, and no one will dare to mess around with our boys ever again.

34. #34 Jack Tornton says:
    February 1, 2007 at 1:34 am

Koicu you got ya man behind ya back. Do not ever depend on Ryder lol

35. #35 Jack Tornton says:
    February 1, 2007 at 1:35 am

koivu*

36. #36 Jack Tornton says:
    February 1, 2007 at 1:36 am

Ryder is so soft that when Koivu calls him up someone is about to kill him, he replies saying he is pregnant. ( all other excuses are old)

37. #37 Jack Tornton says:
    February 1, 2007 at 1:38 am

Ryder is so soft that when Koivu gets jumped while he plays, he suddenly go to the bench making him belive he didnt see anything.

38. #38 Jack Tornton says:
    February 1, 2007 at 1:43 am

Honestly, I have nothing against Ruder but,he’s the softest roster we currently have. He’s a good goal scorer but you guys have to admit he’s soft.
    I was pretty impressed with his performance on Monday against Ottawa. He was actually checking. AND CROSS CHECKING HARD.

39. guys….all this talk about Bertuzzi……..is it in print anywhere at all that the habs are even remotely interested in him?…or is this a wish list?

I mean…did I miss something?…..I’m usually up on all the blogs and the only new rumor out there is Zerdev to mtl, and thats from Eklund who’s an idiot.

Eklund decided to have the guy who runs spectors do a debate podcast last week….lmao…what a mistake,,,,Spectors bases all their info on actual newscasts and interviews etc., while eklund likes to dream of things through the night and put it in print the next day. Eklund got killed in that debate and was left looking quite silly. My point is I really dont believe the rumor about Zerdev, mainly because of the source.If you read it on spectors, chances are its only hours away from happening.

back to my question….did anyone read somewhere that the habs are looking at Bertuzzi?

my opinion?….I dont like him. You cant blame a coach for what happened to Moore either. Even if a coach said take out moore, he wouldnt have meant sneak up behind him and break his neck.He could have taught moore a lesson while facing him, and likely still would have beaten the bejesus out of him.That being said, even though I dont like him, he certainly could not hurt this team, and it would be nice indeed to have someone protect Koivu while Ryder shivers in a corner somewhere.

40. #40 Snake says:
    February 1, 2007 at 9:01 am

Bertuzzi has lacked emotion the last two years since the incident. I dont really see him getting energized all of a sudden. Plus he does not want to play in Canada. HE is a miserable person when it comes to the media. IN the offseason he will sign in a hockey ghost town. Phoenix most likely.

41. #41 HAB-DAB-A-DO says:
    February 1, 2007 at 9:40 am

I THINK RYDER STILL WANTS TO GO OUT WEST

42. #42 HAB-DAB-A-DO says:
    February 1, 2007 at 9:41 am

ALSO RYDER MAY BE INTERESTED IN PLAYING FOR THE NEW NHL TEAM THAT HALIFAX IS GOING TO GET ” THE HALIFAX BLUENOSERS”

43. um….thats BROWNNOSERS

44. #44 joshtm says:
    February 1, 2007 at 10:39 am

You know, George Gilette is not gonna be spending any money to acquire winners. If anything Gainey is gonna be told to get rid of a few millionaires so we could end up losing our key players and knowing Gainey he’ll blame it all on Murray again. You see Gilette is planning on buying a Liverpool soccer team. Maybe we’ll see Abby playing nets for Liverpool instead of the Habs…

45. #45 HAB-DAB-A-DO says:
    February 1, 2007 at 10:43 am

Nice original comment Izzy!! Way to go.

46. #46 joshtm says:
    February 1, 2007 at 10:45 am

Ryder is so soft that even Pactum and Habs#1 can beat him silly with wet noodles, knowing how perverted Pactum and Habs#1 are…

47. #47 smiler2729 says:
    February 1, 2007 at 10:56 am

Rumour: Todd Bertuzzi will sign with the Maple Leafs in July… I repeat, this is the rumour on The Hockey News site. It would burn my ass if Montreal got him only to have him jump to snore-city Ontario in the summer. So I’d have to say NO to acquiring Bertuzzi.

48. Bertuzzi to sign in Phoenix On July 1st @ 00:03 hours.

No media, great golf courses and a slack ass coach who Bertuzzi will take advantage of.

49. Typical Joshtm conversation:

Joshtm: Habs need more young guys who are unproven at the NHL level
    Fan: We have enough youngsters already who dont live up to expectations
    JOshtm: Thats Gainey’s fault
    Fan: WHy Gainey?
    Joshtm: Because he likes broken down players
    Fan: But we have one of the oyungest teams in the league
    JOshtm: I said broken down
    Fan: WHat? stop saying that, you are not making sense.
    JOshtm: Broken down player is what Gainey wants
    Fan: Are you a cyborg, you talk funny
    JOshtm: I also say the odd comment about noodles
    Fan: What does that have to do with hockey?
    JOshtm: Nothing but its Gaineys fault I am mumbling!
    Fan: OKay man but did you know the habs are having a good season.
    Joshtm: Oh I dont actually watch the games I just complain.

50. What a dolt!