Bruins/Habs 2009 Playoffs: Game3

1. #1 Joseph says:
    April 20, 2009 at 3:55 pm

I’m not so convinced that the home crowd will be that much of a factor in this series. In fact, I’m not overly convinced that it’s ever that much of a factor at all. To win tonight, the Habs will have to make the most of their offensive opportunities, and that would include getting the first goal, in my opinion. When they play with the lead, they tend to play with more confidence all the way around and minimize defensive catastrophies. But when they fall behind, they tend to fall apart.

As to goals, Halak will probably play well enough for them to win if they can score three or four times tonight. One or two goals, on the other hand, and I think it’ll be over. Boston has got all the confidence in the world right now and their offense if clicking.

Having said that, I, for one, am not overly optmistic about their chances. They’ve simply been a weak and fragile team for far too long now. And regardless of last season, regardless of the first half of this one, this appears to have now become their identity.

Here’s hoping for what at least I consider to be a miracle…

2. #2 Ray77 says:
    April 20, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Absolutely Classless… Booing the National Anthem.. Last time the low-lifes did that, in Boston, a few tried to do it, but got snuffed out by the Cheers for O Canada…

3. #3 Joseph says:
    April 20, 2009 at 8:00 pm

Just in case your disapproval missed anyone’s attention in the ShoutBox?

April 20, 2009 at 8:38 pm

LOL Ray77= Anal Admiral

5. #5 Ray77 says:
    April 20, 2009 at 9:29 pm

This would come from the Rectal Server…

6. #6 Ray77 says:
    April 20, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Rectum? Darn near killed ‘em..

7. #7 Joseph says:
    April 20, 2009 at 9:54 pm

He has the mental capacity of a twelve year old.

8. #8 stevehab says:
    April 20, 2009 at 10:32 pm

Once again the Habs have folded. At Christmas we had one of the best teams in the league. Then, as the going got tougher and the players QUIT on Carbonneau and the Habs began to fold. Gainey IS NOT getting much more out of the Habs than Guy did. Is it a question of player character???

Why have we drafted players that don’t shop up when the games get tough (and I don’t mean simply fighting)!
    Why are their former Hab players (Sourray, Riebiero, Ryder, etc. etc.) who play MUCH better on their new team than they did as a Hab? Why do their new coaches get more out of them?

The Habs need to do more rebuilding and have a LONG look at how they draft. They need MORE size, bigger centres and tougher defence. I don’t want to hear that there are only so many players to go around the league. Other teams have toughness… but not the Habs.
    What happened to Price? He came in as a very confident young goalie and played really well. He was very likely the best graduating junior goalie in the world at that time. Now he LOOKS PETRIFIED and scared to play. I have serious doubts whether Carey will ever regain his confidence in a Habs uniform? You might want to try and trade him in the summer for a 25 – 28 year old, somewhat experienced goilie while Price’s value ios probably pretty high.
    It might be time to clean house…. new GM, new coach, re-examine scouts and scouting. I’d bet that Bob Gainey goes to the Wild again as GM.
    I’d really like to see the Habs seriously challenge for the Cup in the near future. Can this happen?

HABS FANS and the city of Montreal DESERVE MORE!Unfortunately the fans have become so frustrated they reverted to bopoing this year. Does management not hear this?

9. #9 Donnie says:
    April 21, 2009 at 10:44 am

Still say Price should not have started this series….not crapping on him, he may, over the next few years, form into the goalie everyone thought he was now. Unfortunately, we now know that not to be true….his lack of effort, after and during game antics, and non-shalont demeaner is showing he is still a kid, and not a top notched NHL goalie. So, hopefully it will come as he grows. Not saying he is the reason we’re losing, although it’s not helping, but Halak should have started based on attitude alone.
    Frustration has a Habs fan has to be growing also. You look at the cup winner Gainey put together in Dallas and gotta think “is this squad the best he can do”? We have 3 lines of 3rd and 4th liners…barely good enough to make the playoffs, let alone win a series. Last nights game was another shining example of what was going on all year…come out hard in the 1st and by the 3rd, go off very quietly into the night. This is either lack of conditioning or lack of effort, either one being unacceptable.
    So, is it the coaching, the players, the players available, Gainey himself, the owners, or just the politics in Montreal that deems what players should be here? Seems to me that we will draw from Russia, Finland, anywhere in Europe and even the U.S as long as we limit Canadians not from Quebec. Your heart, your grit, your desire to win, thats where that comes from. Get a big prairie boy, who wears his heart on his sleeve. And don’t tell me thats not how it is…we publically went after 2 guys these last 2 years…Briere and Lecavaier, and just signed Dany Masse for 3 years. All from Quebec. The backyard rule ended decades ago, its really time to get on board with the rest of the league. I dont think the fans and media in Montreal really care now if the primary language of some guys on the team is English, as long as we get the best possible players to make this team a winner again. If they do still care, then having a gutless, heartless, unskilled, non-devoted team like we have now is probably what they deserve. Sad for all the rest of the Hab fans around the this country though. What will this summer hold? Don’t get too excited just yet…until this primative system of drafting is abandoned, our strides forward will be very limited at best.

10. #10 Joseph says:
    April 21, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Something very odd about this team…

It resembles the Ottawa Senators of several years ago in that it’s comprised mostly of, and has the personality of, smaller, skilled players. It has been well documented that this formula doesn’t work in this league anymore. Hence Ottawa’s moves to add some much needed grit and heart to their lineup over the past few years. Mind you, they’ve been a train wreck the last couple of seasons, but they did previously address their weaknesses and ended up going to the SCF as a result… where they still fell short in the grit and heart department, which Anaheim had plenty of. But the point is, why would any other organisation want to model Ottawa’s weaknesses/failures? It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me.

There is a formula for success in the NHL. It isn’t a complex one either. A strong core group consisting of a big centreman (or two if you can), a big defensemen, and consistent goaltending (ideally consisting of a seasoned veteran and a young talent); a couple of skilled wingers; a powerplay quarterback; and gritty role players. Add to that a coach with a solid system that he can get all of his players to buy into and voila… you’ve got as good a chance as anyone.

Well, easy enough on paper I realise, but you still have to be able to acquire all of the necessary ingredients, which isn’t as easy. But, what baffles me about the Canadiens is the obvious fact that they failed to go after many of these ingredients. Lang, Tanguay and Laraque, although welcomed additions at the time, didn’t address the weaknesses which were expiosed last season. They got the right coach in Carbonneau, but they then provided him with a group of skilled players to try to bend to his will; a group of skilled players that dominated the team’s personality. It’s like trying to put the square wood block into a circular hole. It’ll never work. And while many will argue that there are only so many big centremen or big defensemen available, I failed to see a committed effort to acquire the ones which have been attainable. Further, I fail to see the logic in sending Huet packing, for instance – an able goaltender who could have mentored Price and filled in nicely where he struggled. Two points there, a point here. This alone could have made all the difference in the world, despite the illogical team makeup and shortfalls in other areas.

As it stands, the Habs are faced with the aftermath of one of their most disasterous season in recent memory, a garage sale this offseason and uncertainty surrounding the near future.

Didn’t anyone in this oprganisation feel that a bit of extra effort was in order given this team’s proud history and this being their season of celebration of that history? It certainly doesn’t appear so from where I’m sitting.

11. #11 melissa says:
    April 21, 2009 at 3:21 pm

i can’t say that i have been watching hockey long enough to write anything technical but for the couple of years i have been watching i would have to say the match ups between the bruins and canadians have got to be the best games to watch. You can tell from the crowd to the players the emotion and rivarly that lies between and having two avid b-fans in the house i have grown to respect that. I think it’s the bruins time to shine and they totally deserve the cup. Thomas deserves the goalie of the year and the bruins deserve to beat montreal on their home ice to shove it down the habs fans throats! What the f*** was that booing our national anthem. There’s canadian and american players on both sides. It’s just ridiculious and i for one will be watching with anticipation for Wednesday when the bruins finaly get revenge!!

12. #12 Joseph says:
    April 21, 2009 at 4:14 pm

Well, Melissa, all I can tell you is that it has grown very tired reading about the business surrounding the national anthems. The fact of the matter is, there has been anthem booing in international sports across the board, and certainly on both sides of the US/Canadian border. It’s always a minority of fans that actually do the booing and it’s always ultimately done with harmless intentions. I attended a Leafs game at the ACC several years ago. They were hosting Detroit. I, a United States citizen, was excited to experience live NHL hockey in Canada, its birthplace. And when they began singing the US anthem the guy standing next to me booed with a whatever kind of smile on his face. I just looked at him and laughed because ultimately his intentions were benign. I could only guess that he was booing because a) it was politically incorrect to do so, b) it was an expression of healthy competition between the US and Canada (this is after all sports, for crying out loud), c) he didn’t agree with some of our politics affecting Canada to one degree or another, D) he had a bad experience with US tourists in Toronto, E) he was upset by the lack of appreciation for Canada’s desire to help us in times of crisis, F), G), H), I), J)… whatever other silly reason that one can think of.

The point is, booing an anthem is not an act of war. It’s not a vicious attack of any kind. While it is a little classless, it’s ultimately harmless. But like I said, there’s no good side in thus as it most certainly has and will continue to occur amonst minorities of fans on both sides.

The armed response, on the other hand, is what’s concerning. Seeking out a random web site or blog populated by some of the opposing team’s fans for the mere purpose of voicing your displeasure with something as insignificant as anthem booing is actually worse than the anthem booing itself. Further, considering that no one here–a relatively peaceful hockey blog frequented by what I consider to be decent human beings–was actually at the game, let alone booing. This is akin to pointing a gun into absolute darkness and shooting it aimlessly, hitting the first person to walk in front of it. So who’s the agressor here?

April 21, 2009 at 4:39 pm

Hey Melissa, i am looking for a cute little ball licker tonight, you could be her.

14. #14 Joseph says:
    April 21, 2009 at 4:43 pm

Further on the topic on team makeup, I never properly examined Boston’s lineup before. The Boston Bruins are: 15 Canadian born players, 4 US born players and 3 European born players.

In contrast, the Montreal Canadiens are: 12 Canadian born players, 3 US born players and 8 European born players.

Interestingly enough, the Detroit Red Wings have 13 European born players. So is it the actual makeup of the team or is it the coaching and system that determines the end result? Of course, one could also argue who those players are. Perhaps Montreal’s woes are a simple case of being mislead by certain players earlier on. Perhaps not.

15. #15 habknot says:
    April 21, 2009 at 7:01 pm

Well it looks like I was wrong, we’re not winning this series in 5, it’ll have to go seven ;-)
    I just thought the first 15 minutes yesterday were going to be the 300 minutes of the series. It seems odd that we can skate over a team for 3/4 of a period at a time and not be able to match up the rest of the way.
    We are being out-positioned, especially in the neutral zone; but I kinda suspected that, Julien is my favorite Xs and Os guy in the league. Is it just me, or does it seem, when our D play puck support we play like the better team. Then they start dropping back, creating gaps, and we spend too much time in our own zone. We seem to be above average in the O zone and below average in our own. Last year we were very good at quickly clearing our zone so it looks like teams have figured out something in our defensive clearing scheme, or our D are making passes to the point instead of the forwards (see goal one last night).
    So its Halak tomorrow; you can’t get swept with one goalie, can you? I’m not sure it will make a positive difference, but he’ll at least be given a chance.
    Can we maintain offensive pressure the whole game or is that even what coach (Muller) wants? Even if we play great will Thomas steal one (good goalies do that, he hasn’t had to yet). Either way, the fat lady is warming up her vocal cords, backs are to the wall, golf clubs and brooms are being readied.
    I’m cheering tomorrow, it maybe the last time for a while for THE team that boils my blood, one way or another.
    P.S. guys, be gentle to those mal-adjusted trolls. Imagine having no other purpose in life! Sad. (oops, that didn’t start out trying to be mean, I just feel very sorry for them)

16. #16 Senet1 says:
    April 21, 2009 at 8:04 pm

Joseph that was a good observaation, about the team make up, Good teams generally have a good mix of skill, speed, toughness and goaltending. The reason why Boston has not been successful in the past is because they had too much toughness and not enough skilled players. Now it seems they added skill in Savard and Bergeron, toughness and grit has always come easy to the organization so all in all they have the right formula to win. Whether they have enough to win it all, personally I do not think they have the goaltending or the defence to win. As long as they can play in the other teams end they can win, but even the Habs have exploited them at times and only our poor shooting skills have failed us. We have never been able to get any momentum in this series because we can not get up two goals. We always seem to make those momentum breakers like some stupid penalty or pass that causes us a goal and the game swings to Boston. Unfortunately, the skilled players that you would want to build a team around are all older players and will be gone to FA this year. We have no star players that can take over this team. It looked like we were grooming some last year but they all turned out to be duds this year. Maybe they can turn it around but probably not in Montreal. So to me what we have is a good solid #3 and 4th line. A good solid #3 and #4 defenceman and a good solid #2 goalie no matter which one we keep. So that means we have to go out and get an allstar centreman, and allstar winger for the first line. We need to go out an get a solid big strong 2nd line centre and two western boys who like to hit but have the skill needed to play this game. Gone are Koivu, Kovalev, Komesarek at least through FA, none of them will wnat to come back next year. Weber looked good but he is too small to carry this team from the blueline. A couple more juniors may be ready to play next year especially if we loose too many players.

17. #17 Joseph says:
    April 21, 2009 at 11:03 pm

Well, Senet1, a rebuild is certainly in order as it will obviously take a little time to acquire all of the players you’ve mentioned. At least the right ones.

I agree with your take on the current team all the way around and, as funny as it seems, I would be all for building around the 3rd and 4th lines. I’m not so sure that we’ll get our wish but a daunting task lies ahead for this team either way.

18. #18 melissa says:
    April 22, 2009 at 9:17 am

i honestly didn’t mean to personally offend anyone on this blog so my apologies for that but i am allowed my opinion and that’s what blogs ultimately are for. i honestly think both teams are great i just like to rouse the canadian fans as i’m sure it’s done on the other end. And just for the record i didn’t go to seek out a “Habs” fan blog for the sole purpose of bashing. I have been on related blogs for a long time. Both for support of my teams, ect. And as for the “ball licker” guy, i’m sure you would love me to “lick ur balls” but i’m sure this is the only way you get anything of ur’s licked!! and this just goes to show the “classiness” of montreal fans!!!!

19. #19 Donnie says:
    April 22, 2009 at 9:31 am

One question I would love to ask Gainey, if indeed I’d get a truthful answer…..”Why does this team give up altogether in the 3rd period of games?”
    Been doing it all year….it stands out and look ridiculous and embarrasing to anyone watching the game. This is the playoffs, you’re supposed to be fighting for your lives down 2 games to nil, you’re at home, you need the crowd behind you, and for some reason just stop trying. You get 5 shots on net, just to sink the truth home that “WE SURRENDER!!!”
    And don’t anyone start on me about injuries…with no injuries we still played like this for the better part of the season…also, with or without these injuries, the guys that are left still shoulkd have the skill and drive to play much better and harder than they have been.
    So……..why do we surrender in 3rd periods? It’s the attributes or a gutless, spineless, team with no drive, OR this is the poorest conditioned team in the entire NHL…again either option being no where near satisfactory.
    I said on here before this series that I didn’t expect to beat the B’s this season….but what I wanted was for this team to go down fighting with their very last breath…you can’t even get that from this bunch…makes it so hard to cheer for this bunch….worse Habs team I can ever remember seeing on the ice. Even the Blues last night played their hearts out to try and stay alive…the Blues!!!…and with all the history in Montreal, we go out on our knees? This team is a disgrace to Habs teams of the past, the city of Montreal, and all the Hab fans around the globe. Disgusting season from a team full of quitters. Need malor moves this summer…Happy 100.

April 22, 2009 at 10:43 am

Just because a guy wants his nuts licked it does not mean i have no class. I was only throwing it out there for you just in case you wanted to. You should thank me for being such a gentleman……Anyways the offer is still on the table. Call me

21. #21 Joseph says:
    April 22, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Fair enough, Melissa. It’s just that the nonsense about the anthem (talk about an insecure culture, by the way) has been visited and revisited ad nauseum throughout the years. So I guess I mistakenly lumped you in with the ignorant hypocrites who come here and throw their stones from glass houses. My apologies if this was the case.

But on the topic of classless, an American East Indian girl I knew in university had to go to Boston with her father, a university professor, for a conference. They went to a restaurant while they were there and were told that they had to leave as the restaurant didn’t serve ‘their kind’. Absolutely true story.

Ah well, enough of all of this.

22. #22 Senet1 says:
    April 28, 2009 at 9:38 pm

Melssa, from your comments you must be a class act? But maybe you should stick to what you know and it sounds like you are pretty good at it?