Canadiens 07/08

1. Thats why I rather have Chris Gratton or Jarret Stoll

2. #2 haBBSSS says:
    May 8, 2008 at 6:49 pm

trade kovalev well his value is high….

3. #3 Joseph says:
    May 8, 2008 at 8:30 pm

Kovalev can be an integral part of a championship team. His offense would certainly be missed.

4. #4 Senet 1 says:
    May 8, 2008 at 9:28 pm

Hi Joseph, I realize if we traded Kovalev away we would be trading a large part of our offense. However, Kovalev is not going to be around forever and we have no guarantee that he will have another season like this one. I would use him as trade bait if we could move up in the draft, or make a trade for a top centreman or defenceman.
    Koivu is a good second line centre but we already have one in Plex so if the right player is available again I would trade him while he still has value as well. I would offer him plus another player to Vinny or even expand the deal with more players if we could get Vinny. There is a good chance if TB has another year like this year he is going to want out and what better place to come than the habs.

5. #5 Joseph says:
    May 8, 2008 at 11:38 pm

Hey, Senet 1.

I agree that Kovalev is worth losing if we get something worthwhile in return. But I, personally, would not be willing to lose him for the likes of Sean Avery or Chris Gratton. I would like to see a few players like Jarret Stoll on this team, but I’m not so sure that I’d give up Kovalev just for him either.

Koivu is a different story. This team needs a Canadian captain, and Saku’s better days are behind him.

6. #6 Joseph says:
    May 8, 2008 at 11:39 pm

As to Lecavalier, I’d take him in a heartbeat.

7. #7 Joseph says:
    May 8, 2008 at 11:48 pm

I just realized that I never offered my thoughts on the Canadiens’ season and playoff run. But since others here have summed it up brilliantly, I’ll just supersummarize it…

The regular season was a smashing success, but the playoff run left something to be desired… which is good. Because now they know where they fell short and what is required to be a true contender.

8. Jarret Stoll or Chris Gratton ,that’s all I’m saying. And look out next year’s trade deadline. Vincent Lecavelier is a free agent in 2010. Montreal should offer Dandenault,grabovski,pacioretty and a 1st rounder for him.

9. #9 alex marks says:
    May 9, 2008 at 2:25 pm

the russian nat. team pissed of kovalev yet once again/
    look for him to be as good or better next season !!

10. don’t trade alex because it just shows, if u play good, your out of montreal. Montreal I don’t think needs any more offensive guys, we already have the best offence, we just need a big centremen and Chris Gratton and Stoll are in the top 10 for best face off men.(I don’t know about Stoll though.) Gratton is big and gets around 40 pts a season so he’s so much better than smolinski. Did u guys know that Kolzig isn’t playing for washington anymore and is an unrestricted free agent? Because just incase Price fails again next year in the playoffs, we would have a stalwart back up. But I’m confident with Price as he will get VEZINA next season.

11. but yeah, It was a great season and I’m glad everything all worked out. I’m not depressed at all that they didn’t win the cup because I know that they’ll win 3 cups in the next 10 years.

12. #12 Joseph says:
    May 9, 2008 at 10:15 pm

Good points, all, STUO11. This team just requires some sandpaper and some leadership. That’s the missing piece of the puzzle. And their lack of it is the only reason that they lost to the lowly Flyers in Round 2.

Evgeni Malkin is quickly becoming a hockey god.

The 4-2 score tonight was a flattering one for the Flyers as the Penguins owned them whenever they felt like it. Pittsburgh in 4. Any win by the Flyers in this series would be a complete accident.

13. a bad thing is that brisebois and smolinski want to come back, I don’t mind Brisebois because he said hes ok if he only plays around 20 games but smolinski would take up space from the little guys. Stewart,chipchura, D’Agostini etc. Ryder is going bye bye ,but I’m pretty sure we all knew that.

14. #14 Joseph says:
    May 10, 2008 at 2:04 pm

I actually don’t mind Smolinski, but I do appreciate your point. My greatest concern, however, involves the possible movement of Kovalev. Has anyone considered how his absence might affect the play of Plekanec and the Kostitsins?

I wouldn’t be looking to move him.

15. #15 Joseph says:
    May 10, 2008 at 2:05 pm

Anyone see Malkin’s fourth goal last night? It was… orgasmic! :-o

16. I think if Philly beat us in 5 and Pitts beats Philly in 4or 5,then big changes must be made on the Habs .Let it be so…go habs go…

17. #17 Joseph says:
    May 10, 2008 at 2:51 pm

Correction: The Penguins’ fourth goal, Malkin’s second.

Xtrahabsfan, I’m hoping that Gainey and Carbonneau are paying close attention to the Penguins, Detroit and Dallas right now.

18. #18 Habs4ever says:
    May 10, 2008 at 10:36 pm

Kovalev had a real good year in league play, but was dud in the playoffs,
    yeah he did get a couple ok, but overall went into his disappearing act again,
    because he played good this year he will be invisible again this coming year.

Fill the team with Canadians, Euro’s Scando’s and Ruskies all do not understand what the Stanley cup means, they don’t have the heart to step
    it up in the playoffs, it’s a long season, why do all the long playoff grind, I’ll just take my millions and go back home—They don’t get the picture.

May 11, 2008 at 12:33 pm

Well how can you say kovalev was a dud in the playoffs? He had the most points of any other player on the team and also got the most attention from boston/philly for shutting him down. Yeah it would be nice to see a little more north american players on the team but dont give me that crap about kovalev not stepping up. Where was higgens,komisarek,lapierre,latalentless the list goes on. Yeah thats what i thought. GO HABS GO

20. #20 Joseph says:
    May 11, 2008 at 5:05 pm

Kovalev wasn’t the problem. In fact, if just one other forward had stepped up in the clutch as much as he did, then we’d likely be talking about the Habs and Penguins right now.

As I stated earlier, moving Kovalev would mean more than losing his offense; it would also mean losing the mentor of Plekanec and the Kostitins. That offensive core is in place, at least for the time being, and the Habs need to add the missing pieces to that core. They need Canadian/American grit and leadership. And perhaps a veteran goaltender to mentor Price.

21. #21 Joseph says:
    May 11, 2008 at 5:08 pm

So tonight the Penguins shall continue to expose the ordinary Marty Biron and take a 2-0 series lead.

The Habs must be kicking themselves.

22. we dont need a old goaler now since price is in his SECOND year.

23. Yep,we’re good in the nets for a long time,Kolzig is avalible ,but we don’t need him.Iwould go after Hossa though.

24. #24 Joseph says:
    May 11, 2008 at 7:32 pm

Hossa is yet another skilled player that can backcheck. He won’t bring the leadership that this team requires. If the Habs can get both, great, but I wouldn’t invest everything in to just Hossa. That wouldn’t be progress, in my opinion.

25. Jagr is as well avalible.

26. #26 Joseph says:
    May 11, 2008 at 11:02 pm

Jagr might retire.

27. #27 Joseph says:
    May 11, 2008 at 11:07 pm

So, if the Penguins manage to win the Cup this year, does that mean that the Habs will win it next year? Pens last Cup – 1992; Habs last Cup – 1993. Anyone superstitious? Anyone believe in fatum?

28. Jag’s only 36,and then there is Sundin

29. kovalev wont be as good as he was this year but he will get at least 70 points. He won’t be bad because now the young kostitsyns and plekeanec are going to be amazing. We will be better next year boys, and u could see how none of the habs weren’t really that pissed off about the early exit, but It’s because they know they cup is coming in 2009.

30. Gainey said that he’s pretty much just getting players for the playoffs, he won’t be getting hossa and that’s a good thing. ALL THE PLAYERS GOING AFTER HOSSA, would you really want to pay him 9 Million?

31. The question is ,would you pay Streit 5 million?

32. #32 habs4life says:
    May 12, 2008 at 3:14 pm

Habs does NOT need Hossa kind of players.

We need inspiring player, not necessarily wearing “C” or “A”, like Milan Lucic, like S Crosby, like Ovechkin.

Before injury, KOMI did a lot of inspiring work, but after injury, we couldn’t expect more from him.

A “bla bla bla” big forward is what Hab needs.

33. Guys we don’t lack skill. We have the best hockey team in the NHL. The only reason why were not still standing is because Philly was lucky and also that we didn’t have enough expierience.

I think maybe 1 more defencemen and a big Center would be great. How about the free agents,: Chris Gratton and Redden or Stoll and Vandermmer. and I really think that Streit is gone guys, but don’t worry our PP will still be first!

34. #34 LeBeau says:
    May 12, 2008 at 6:28 pm

Michael Landsberg just threw out a good question tonight. He asked Patrick Lalime if he’d accept a back-up role as a mentor to Price next season, if he was offered a contract. He said he’d take it in a heart-beat.

Discuss…

35. #35 Rubberman says:
    May 12, 2008 at 7:45 pm

SIgning Lalime, would you or could you trade Halak?

Everyone is talking cup next year but they have to make the playoffs first. It will be that much harder next year…

Gainey needs to trade a big name (or a few) to get someone worthwhile. Do you trade Koivu or Higgins or even Markov?

Price will be good to great next year. The defense need to get bigger. They need a gritty forward, even two. The powerplay was great but did the Bruins figure it out for the rest of the league? Is the pp confidence shot? Like someone said, are you willing to pay 9 million a yr for Hossa? Would his presence upset the dressing room? Should we even care if they’re winning?

Too many questions!

36. #36 Joseph says:
    May 12, 2008 at 8:37 pm

No trading Higgins.

37. #37 Joseph says:
    May 12, 2008 at 10:01 pm

Going after players like Hossa, Jagr would fail to address the Habs’ needs. It’d just be more of the same.

The Habs need to let go of a Eurpoean talent, or two, in order to get a Morrow type player, or two. That will address their needs. If they accomplish this, they’ll be very difficult to beat.

38. #38 Senet 1 says:
    May 12, 2008 at 11:02 pm

Well after reading a number of entries, I have to reiterate what I said before, if the right player is available then I would trade Kovelev. The Right player would be someone who could replace him in offense yet bring some leadership to the table as well. Kovalev did not fight for his ice space in the playoff and someone said that Boston figured out our PP well Kovalev was a big part of that. So would I want to lose him no but if the right player was available in a trade or a top draft pick then yes. I think the young kids will do just fine without him.

Likewise Koivu did show some leadership but is offense has fallen off and without a game breaking forward on his line his offense will be worse next year. So again if the right player is available that can bring something to the table then yes I would trade him but not for a Gratton or Stole. The player we have to get is got to be in our top 3 in scoring and be a team leader offensively as well as in the dressing room. Yes we need a faceoff man, but we also need someone with a little more grit, or a game breaking foward/centreman.

39. #39 Senet 1 says:
    May 12, 2008 at 11:06 pm

Smolinski played well for us this year especially in the playoffs. However, we have to make room for Chipchura and Stewart so I am afraid he has got to go.

Brisebois also played failing well for us better than I expected but, we have two big young defenseman in the minors that have to be brought up next year so Brisebois is just going got take up salary cap room and space on the bench.

We have to trade one of our small defenceman as well, Bouillon or Jorges, we have too many small defenseman and the Flyers especially took advantage of them in the playoffs. Right now we have good quantity of defenseman so lets see if we can trade for some quality either back on the blueline or up front.

I was disappointed in our defense, and Markov to me was one of our problems, I am not sure if he was hurt or just gun shy but that problem needs to be addressed. Maybe it was because
    Komy was not healthy and neither was Streit. So many of you are being hard on Striet but he had the same injury as Komy and only missed two games, Komy missed three weeks and still was not healthy when he came back. Striet is a valuable asset because it can play forward or defense. He gives the coach a lot of options. I would keep him as long as he does not want too much money. I would definetly not pay him 5M. Maybe 2.75 or 3M tops.

Higgins is another valuable asset that I agree we do not want to trade away, however, again if the right player is available then no body othe than Price on this team can not be considered as trade bait. The trades have to be good ones though. As someone else said, we have the team it just needs a little sandpaper. I agree.

Someone suggested Jagr and Hossa, unless we address the strength of this team then I would not want either of these two players, firstly Jagr is on the down side of his career, we already have two of those on the team. Hossa wants too much money, I cannot see why he will not want to stay in Pittsburg if he can play on a line with two of the top three players in the league as long as Pittsburg can afford to pay him?

I like out goaltending situation right now, but it is only a matter of time before Halak is going to want to be traded. He may get his wish sooner than we think as long as we can find a good back up that is cabable of playing 25-30 games.

40. #40 Senet 1 says:
    May 12, 2008 at 11:10 pm

Maybe we just found one piece to the puzzle see below.

Canadiens sign Ryan White Montreal Canadiens May 12, 2008, 4:12 PM EDT
    White PRESS RELEASE

MONTREAL – Canadiens GM Bob Gainey announced Monday that forward Ryan White agreed to a three-year contract (2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11). As per club policy, financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

White ended his four-year junior career with the WHL’s Calgary Hitmen with 237 points (91 goals, 146 assists) and 411 penalty minutes in 275 regular-season games. A native of Brandon, Manitoba, White led his team in scoring in each of the past three seasons. In 59 career playoff games with the Hitmen, White amassed 41 points (17 goals, 24 assists) and 88 penalty minutes.
    In 2007-08, the 20-year-old recorded 72 points (28 goals, 44 assists), 98 penalty minutes, eight power-play goals and had a plus-24 rating in 68 games.

White, 6-feet, 213 pounds, was named the CHL Player of the Week twice during the 2007-08 campaign. He scored 10 points (five goals, five assists) in a four-game span that ended on February 4 and registered 12 points (four goals, eight assists) and had a plus-6 rating in four playoff games last April, helping the Calgary Hitmen eliminate the Swift Current Broncos in six games.

Selected in the third round, 66th overall, by the Canadiens in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, White also had two assists in as many games for Team WHL at the 2007 Canada-Russia Challenge.

41. I would trade Markov after what he pulled in the playoffs, I like the guy but come on, Maybe a big D man. Maybe get some guy that played for the habs before like shneider or something.

42. I know It’s a dream but Lecavelier would be sooo nice! I would even want to have St.Louis. just on of the 2! I would trade:Chipchura,grabovski,Fischer and a 1st rounder for him! And getting in the playoffs should be a piece of cake.

43. #43 LeBeau says:
    May 13, 2008 at 7:58 pm

I’d love to see Lecavalier on the roster, but personally, I’d pass on St. Louis. We need size. We have plenty of small & nimble players.

44. #44 Joseph says:
    May 13, 2008 at 9:19 pm

Nice to see the Flyers essentially playing for their playoff lives tonight, and losing.

All things in their rightful place.

Thumbs up to the White signing. Now, if Gainey could just get one or two experienced playoff warriors…

45. #45 Joseph says:
    May 13, 2008 at 9:22 pm

LeBeau, I believe that we should have consensus on that. I’m surprised at how many still think that more skill is what this team needs. The Bell Centre is overflowing with skill. What it needs is some weight.

46. #46 Joseph says:
    May 13, 2008 at 10:23 pm

The Silence of the Lambs

Hannibal Lecter: First principles, Troll. Simplicity. Read your NHL history. Of each particular thing ask: what is it in itself? What is its nature? What do they do, the Habs you worship?
    Typical Flyer Troll: They get eliminated…
    Hannibal Lecter: No. That is incidental. What is the first and principal thing they do? What needs do they serve by being eliminated?
    Typical Flyer Troll: Anger, um, social rejection, and, huh, frustrations, sir…
    Hannibal Lecter: No! They learn. That is their nature. And how do we begin to learn, Troll? Do we seek out things to improve upon? Make an effort to answer now.
    Typical Flyer Troll: No. We just…
    Hannibal Lecter: No. We begin by learning what we’re lacking. We begin by learning our weaknesses. And the Habs have learned which pieces are missing from their puzzle. They will acquire those pieces and win their 25th Stanley Cup in the next season. Their 100th season, Troll. Meanwhile, your Flyers are merely lambs sent to slaughter, year after year. Lambs being silenced. Much like you.

And… the big mouths of the Flyers have collectively shut. Resigned to silence for the remainder of the season.

My goodness! Am I ever relieved that Daniel Briere signed with Philadlphia and not Montreal. One less mistake to worry about.

47. #47 Donnie says:
    May 14, 2008 at 7:07 pm

Atta boy Bob, keep on signing them hard-nosed North American boys. As great a regular season we had, it became all to painfully obvious what a team like this can do in the playoffs. Need a good mix, with mostly Canucks…thats been the blueprint for playoff winners for decades now. A few Euros with guys not afraid to take a lickin…thats the ticket. In Bob we trust.

48. I would even do this: Plekanec,Chipchura and a 1st rounder for Lecavelier! We have the money obviously. I don’t think it’s about our size I just think we need more grit. Lecavelier isn’t a grinder but come on, He’s amazing!!! and if Tampa is 12 or something lecavelier will be going somewhere!

May 15, 2008 at 8:17 pm

It will take more than that to get vinny in montreal trust me.

50. #50 Senet 1 says:
    May 15, 2008 at 8:56 pm

Don’t get me wrong I would love to have Vinny over here but the way I see if we need to get him here for the long term, therefore, as he becomes UFA next year and if Tampa is not in the playoffs, then that is when we go for him. With players to be named later if we sign him. We cannot afford to trade four or five of our good yound players away and find out Vinny is not committed to stay in Montreal.

Having said that I would trade both Markov and Kiovu and a first rounder if I thought I could get Vinny here for the entire year and if Bob could be assured he could sign him.

We definitely need to add some size to our line up but we also need to find someone to replace Kiovu as our number # centreman. I like Plex as our #2 guy and I like Andrea on his line, I would put a big winger on that line though not a skilled guy unless he is big and skilled. Stewart may be the answer, speed, size and skill.

I would send Latendresse down to the minors next year for about a month to wake him up, he has got to come back with an attitude and use his body more next year. He needs a wakeup call. Should never have stayed up last year all year, needed to either play one more year of Junior or in the minors for a year at least.

I like Chipchura to replace Smolinski on our checking line.

I like Byrnes to replace Brisebois.
    I like to see this Stewart up with Lapierre and give him some stop time on the first line as well.

So now Bob need to go out and get another big defenseman, and another big forward with an attitude and some skill. Free agency is probably the only way we will get someone like that.

I not against adding some skill but the skill has to have some size. What I am afraid of is Bob may go after Hossa???? Not sure he fits out team.