Canadiens 07/08

June 14, 2008 at 8:04 am

Trade Markov? Thats insane

Yes we have some young unproven guys coming up but they are unproven.

No need to panic and trade away guys like Markov, we need to add to the team not take away.

2. Markov has went to the playoffs a couple of times and hasn’t showed much. Brad Stuart Would be better in the playoffs. Markov would get us 1st in the conference but kicked out in the 2nd round again and brad stuart would take us 4th in the conference but win the cup. But I don’t care, I think that the habs are going to win the cup no matter what. I don’t think we need any one. But if we go up against a team like Anaheim or Dallas in next years finals were gonig to need tough defencemen and We need to make room for O’Byrne. Get rid of Boullion and were all set.

3. #3 habby says:
    June 14, 2008 at 3:11 pm

I do agree with you to a degree STU, but trade Markov I don’t agree with. Yes he was bad in the playoffs but wasn’t he injured as well? Let’s ged rid of Breezer and give his spot to O’Byrne. And let’s get rid of Bouillon(mighty but too small) and Dandenault, get Stuart.

4. yeah maybe yor right anyways this is my prediction:
    Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev Higgins-Koivu-Rolston Kostitsyn-Grabovski-Streit Begin-Lapierre-Kostopoulos Markov-Koimsarek Hamrlik-O’Bryne Georges-Bouillon

5. O’Byrne is like a young Komisarek and guys don’t worry the cup will come soon enough. I think we have the team right now to get to the finals but to beat Anaheim or Dallas we will need another big D man.

June 16, 2008 at 3:23 pm

We wont see Streit here I dont think, and Rolston well the word is they are trying to resign him high priority.

7. If we lose streit and can’t get Rolston Bob Gainey will get someone big. Someone like Hossa. I don’t want hossa here but hey, If they can pick up him and a tough D, that would be nice.

June 16, 2008 at 7:00 pm

Seems Malkin might not be staying in Pitts, the word is its Hossa he is willing to take less to stay and play with Crosby. Sundin would be a great choice, he is big tough and his work ethic is next to none, and a true leader in the room.

We shall soon see

9. #9 Senet 1 says:
    June 16, 2008 at 9:57 pm

Well if Sundin was willing to sign a two year contract for 6-7M he would be worth it because he is the first line centre that we need. That would free Kiovu up to be trade with a couple of other players to get an impact player that we need. We also need to remain prepared to take a shot at Vinny at the trade deadline. Some of you are making the same suggestions that I made back in May, sorry I have not been on lately. It is hard to imagine that malkin will not be in Pittsburg, however, if Pittsburg signs Hossa, then the money situation will become difficult and they will be in the same postion as Tampa has been in no money for the supporting cast. So they may need to trade Malkin for some additional depth and draft picks. Now I would offer a couple of farms to get him because I think our coaching staff can actually make him into a team player and he is the breakout player we need.

10. #10 Senet 1 says:
    June 16, 2008 at 10:03 pm

As for some of you looking at Dallas and Anaheim for next year, I don’t know about the rest of you but I don’t think Detroit is going to roll over for anyone. This team is fairly young, tough with speed and I have not seem such an organized team in a long time. Babcock has them playing a very disciplined game. To me the only weakness they have is in net and they still won the cup because of a great defense and forwards who can play at both ends of the rink.

Pittsburg will find a way to keep Malkin but it was obvious to me that they need to strengthen their defence to compete with Detroit type teams. If we can strengthen out forward with a couple of additions and get bigger on defence then we can give Pittsburg a run for their money next year.

11. It won’t happen but It would be awesome if the habs got Malkin!

12. I think the team we have right now can kick pittsburgh out in 6. We have great veterans,better D, more balanced offence and either than carey’s rookie playoffs, better goaltending. I hate him but the best thing for us would be Chris Pronger.

13. #13 hab faithful says:
    June 17, 2008 at 5:39 pm

don’t they ever update this blog? C’mon do it!

June 17, 2008 at 7:50 pm

I am sure there will be an update come the draft. No worries

15. It’s almost summer here on Vancouver Island and the weathers been absolute CRAP!!!The forecast for July is supposed to be Desert like with all the drought ,which is not the norm, hope the summer is great in every way for you all.Bob Gainey should relize you can still have speed and skill with a big athlete and in most cases you’ll toughen up the team by doing so.GO HABS GO…..

June 18, 2008 at 10:47 am

Panthers’ captain Olli Jokinen has indicated to Florida’s general manager Jacques Martin that he would like a trade. The big centre will continue to lure tons of interest, although one team suggests the asking price is marked at two young NHL roster players and a first round draft pick.

17. #17 hab faithful says:
    June 18, 2008 at 11:30 am

We can give S. Kostistyn, Georges and a #1 draft pick for Jokinen. We need him, and Gainey should make every possible attempt to lsnd him.
    Look, Pitt gave away quite abit for Hossa, but he took them to the finals, and scored alot of goals in the playoffs, and they might be able to resign him, so why can’t the habs do the same? Gainey needs to make a big splash, especially with this being the habs anniversary year!

18. #18 habby says:
    June 18, 2008 at 2:12 pm

That trade look’s ok. But I’d hate to seee SK go. I really enjoy the game he plays.

19. they might take grabovski,georges and a 1st rounder.
    but I think Bob will get a really good deal because after al these years of rejection the habs will be accepted and lots of players know the habs are one of the best!

20. #20 Senet 1 says:
    June 19, 2008 at 8:34 pm

If I am going to make a trade for Jokinen I would not trade away my youth up front. but I would trade Koivu straight up. Remember Jokinen wants out of Florida and he is not happy with the coach. It is an even trade and we eat some difference in salary. We do not need three offensive centreman.

Also don’t forget that Gainey is also interested in Sundin but I would take Jokinen before Sundin because of the salary difference.

Possible Malkin trade, this would be harder to swing because Pittsburg is looking for talent but also salary cap space. They need defense as well as they would like some additional offensive punch for the loss of Malkin. Here is my trade, Markov our first round pick and any two of our forward prospects in Hamilton. If we give up Markow we need to replace two defensive positions. OByrne has one and we also have two other defenseman in the US College and minors that may be ready. I would like to see us pick up a big strong defenceman but he has to be able to handle the puck.

21. #21 Senet 1 says:
    June 19, 2008 at 8:40 pm

Columbus is also looking to trade their #1 pick. Again I would trade Markov and Our #1 pick.

22. #22 Senet 1 says:
    June 19, 2008 at 8:52 pm

hab faithful, I would not exact say that Hossa took Pittsburg to the finals, He did play well and better than anyone expected but where would he have been without Crosby feeding him. Hossa was free because the other teams paid so much attention to Crosby. However, like Greszky before him Crosby could always find the open man. Not so sure Hossa would have produced nearly as well if he were the #1 man that got all the checking from the other teams.

23. exactly, If Hossa comes here, he’s probably going to be our best player and in the playoffs he’ll fail under the pressure. There will be 2 players on him at all times. We need someone like Sundin or Jokinen. or more canadians with heart and grit!

24. #24 hab faithful says:
    June 20, 2008 at 11:31 am

anyone who can score 12 goals in the playoffs, and get his team to the finals, I’d take in a flash. This year he showed the grit! you guys are too funny.

25. yet again, he did not get his team to the finals, It was all Crosby and Malkin until the finals. The habs have the best offence in the league, clearly we don’t need offensively small weak players that get take anyone out. We need some one big!!! Our defence is big with Komi 6’4″ and Ob’Bryne 6’7″ but we need some one big. Pierre Dagenais was ok. He had like 12 pts in 32 games,if he played 82 games he would have gotten about 30-40 pts and for a 4th line crusher that’s pretty good. If got Georges Laraque, no one would be calling us small anymore lol. But I don’t know where Dagenais is, but I liked the game he played. He’s 6’5″!!!

June 20, 2008 at 2:31 pm

Why on earth would we want dagenais? Yikes that brings back bad memories

27. report: Habs have permission to talk to sundin’s agent!!! and It’s just the habs also. something tells me something wierd could happen! and Degenais wasn’t that bad. We made it to the playoffs when we used him. And I’m not saying get him back I’m saying get a big forward!

28. Sources tell TSN the Toronto Maple Leafs are trying to encourage Mats Sundin to decide his playing future before July 1.

In the past 24 hours the Montreal Canadiens were granted persmission by the Maple Leafs to speak to Sundin’s agent about the possibility of the 37-year-old centre signing in Montreal.

The Leafs would have to trade Sundin’s negotiating rights to the Canadiens to facilitate an early signing.

It’s too early to say whether or not the two Canadian teams will make that move, as the Canadiens’ reluctance to give up any assets for the privilege to get to the Leafs’ captain may be based on his willingness to speed up his decision making.

At this point, Sundin remains uncertain as to whether he or not he will play at all, so the Canadiens’ attempt to get a head-start may turn out to be a fruitless exercise.

The Canadiens believed they were close to a deal to acquire Sundin at the trade deadline, but Sundin refused to waive his no-trade to accomodate that deal, or the potential for any other.

June 20, 2008 at 3:42 pm

Trade Markov your nuts … he is one of the best puck movind D in the game

30. Alex Tanguay is now a HAB!!!!!!

31. #31 Dancan81 says:
    June 20, 2008 at 8:40 pm

Boo! We need size, he shit the bed in Calgary and couldn’t handle the pressure here, now imagine in MTL! Our team is built for the regular season, we need toughness or a big powerforward. Nonetheless he’ll do well and MTL just got another frenchmen, enjoy.

32. #32 Senet 1 says:
    June 23, 2008 at 9:34 pm

Well I was one of the guys who suggested if the right player ws available that we trade him. I have not heard but as far as I am concerned unless he was playing injuried he disappeared in the playoffs. Maybe it was because Komy was still hurt and therefore Markov took more of the beating from Philly and Boston. But Markov did not play up to his regular season abilities.