Canadiens 2007 Free Agent Activity

1. #1 MadManPaddy says:
    July 1, 2007 at 12:47 pm

Awefully quiet out there folks……45 min. in and no signings???

Strange……………..

2. #2 Avatar37 says:
    July 1, 2007 at 1:38 pm

At least Smyth hasn’t signed with another team yet, so there’s always hope! hahahahaha… *sigh*

3. #3 MadManPaddy says:
    July 1, 2007 at 2:05 pm

Avatar37…I agree Smyth would be a coupe signing for Montreal but I wouldn’t hold my breath for it!

I think you will see Ryan Smyth sign with the N.Y. Rangers.

Almost set that Drury signs with L.A…..I was thinking Briere would go to Montreal but I now fear that he will either sign with Philly or St. Louis!

I think Edmonton has a hell of a chance to get Gomez. He may sign there. Also the Oil may get Rafalski.

I get the feeling that Montreal may come out empty handed on this one??

Hope not!

4. #4 Lafreniere says:
    July 1, 2007 at 2:44 pm

Word is that the Habs have offered Briere a 6 year deal worth 42 Million.

5. #5 Lucky says:
    July 1, 2007 at 4:02 pm

Flyers sign Briere to 8-year deal

6. habs will pick up zubrus.. his wife is from montreal and they want to raise a family here

7. Dear MadmanPaddy,
    Are you just guessing or do u have some kind of insider on smyth and drury? Just wanted to know

8. #8 MadManPaddy says:
    July 1, 2007 at 5:50 pm

OH OH!!………I feel a shut out comin’ on…..scary….besides defence…what forward could Montreal sign????? I guess we can hope that San Jose signs Drury and trades Marleau to Montreal!!!

The fans and media in Montreal are to blame for this whole mess!!!! They need to keep their passion but still remember that it is just a game afterall!!

They are scaring away the top talent!!!!

If hometown boy Briere won’t sign then that in itself says alot!!

Montreal is in trouble!!!

9. #9 mitchell s says:
    July 1, 2007 at 6:14 pm

i think montreal should get bertuzzi because once his back is beter he could help and if we dont sign him then smyth or shanahan

10. #10 Darrell says:
    July 1, 2007 at 7:52 pm

No one wants to come play for the habs. I am a big habs fan but i think we will only get 2nd of 3rd rate players because of the way they the media is there. Sad to say it but you know it is true, The only hope we have is the kids they have in the system

11. #11 Darrell says:
    July 1, 2007 at 7:57 pm

Now all but Smyth are gone ( may be signing in Col.) Looks like we will end up with Yashin or some one like that again this year !!!

12. #12 Avatar37 says:
    July 1, 2007 at 8:33 pm

Flyers sign Briere to an 8 year deal, not that I’m overly sad about that, he was a wrong fit for Montreal, Jason Blake goes to the Leafs, Lupul (while not major news is still a good player) goes to the Flyers, Rangers sign Gomez and Drury (now those would have been nice in Montreal), Hanan signs with Avs, Ducks sign Schneider…. With no one else worth going after, maybe we have a shot at Smyth after all!

13. Wow,Ijust got back from work and no moves by Gainey, @%*$#%!!! that’s absolute bullshit.Hey Bob,hello , we didn’t make the playoffs ,lost to T.O. LAST GAME for a playoff spot,went on another massive loosing streak and the ticket prices are up ,you madman,W.T.F.???? NOW I know you’ve lost it Bob!!!!I STILL LOVE YOU FOR THE PAST BUT YOU SUCK IN THE PRESENT BOB!!!!

14. #14 Alestar says:
    July 1, 2007 at 9:36 pm

I’m surprised Souray isn’t already signed somewhere…is there still some hope for a return to the Habs? (I don’t care about the -26, he’s a leader and exciting to watch, I’d like to see him back!)

15. #15 habsgod says:
    July 1, 2007 at 9:38 pm

Don’t worry we are going to sign Yasin

16. #16 orilliaborn says:
    July 1, 2007 at 9:54 pm

I don’t care what anyone says, Souray is one of the most important free agents out there and the Habs might still grab him. I’m hoping.

17. #17 hab4life says:
    July 1, 2007 at 10:14 pm

ESPN – Hab’s sign Smyth!!

18. #18 MadManPaddy says:
    July 1, 2007 at 10:42 pm

Rumour is that Smyth will be signing with the Avalanche by tommorrow.
    If Montreal fails to sign Souray then they will have been completely shut out of the frenzy!!

Sad!

I guess we have our choice between Yashin or Lang. Which will it be men??

Pathetic!!

I would not be surprised if by end of this month Koivu requests a trade. He said he is not interested in staying in Montreal if they are rebuilding and if they fail to sign any free agents of note then I would suggest they are rebuilding.

Pathectic to think that at one time, for so many years, Montreal was the place to be…now….not even a francophone wants to sign there!!

What in the hell will Bob do???? He certainly cannot sit tight? Obviously there are no big trades brewin’ or we would have had a sniff by now….what in the f-u-c-k will BOB do??

WTF!!!

19. #19 Avatar37 says:
    July 1, 2007 at 10:53 pm

Before everyone starts screaming at Gainey… He made an offer to Briere, he made an offer to Souray… But he can’t *make* players sign with Montreal if they don’t want to… maybe the fans and the city and the media need to start looking at themselves as to *why* no one wants to play in Montreal… From what I’ve read the offer to Briere was for more money than what he signed for in Philly… So before everyone starts blaming Gainey maybe the city should start looking at itself.

20. #20 MadManPaddy says:
    July 1, 2007 at 11:08 pm

Was just surfin’ and here is the latest;

Smyth has been offered a 6 yr 39 mil. contract by Montreal, apparently it is the larget offer he has and will receive. There are some questions as to whether or not he and his wife want to live in Montreal. If Smyth wants the big money, he will sign with Montreal.

Other rumour is Zubrus will be coming back to Montreal as their 3rd line centre. I ask, ” Why not just re-sign BONK?”

Also, reason that Souray has not been signed is because of his league worst +/-!! I guess teams think that for $5-$6 mil. you should be able to get a good all-around defenceman and Souray is not one of those!! Go figure that!!

He may have no choice but to sign with Montreal at 3-4.5 mil. per year. But don’t rule out San Jose…..Rivet is there and he and Souray are good buds. They also lost Hannan so they will need a replacement.

I still say Montreal should sign Allison for a mil . a year. Why not…situation cannot be any worse than it appears to be right now..

OH BOY!!

21. #21 Avatar37 says:
    July 1, 2007 at 11:24 pm

Noooooooo not Zubrus … Or Yashin… I’d rather have Bonk and Johnson back..

And don’t tease me about the possibility of Smyth coming to Montreal… I hate getting my hopes up…

22. #22 Avatar37 says:
    July 1, 2007 at 11:35 pm

Oh well … so much for getting my hopes up, Smyth signed in Colorado for 5 years, $31.25 mil

23. #23 Christos says:
    July 1, 2007 at 11:37 pm

It’s official. Smyth goes to Colorado.
    It has been reported on TSN, that Montreal offered MORE money to Gomez, Briere, AND Smyth and ALL of them took LESS money to play somewhere else. Pierre McGuire explained that Bob Gainey is trying hard, but no players want to play in Montreal because of the high taxes players pay in Quebec.
    I really think that if we don’t get Sheldon for less money (no more than 4.5 a year) we have to seriously look at defenceman more than forwards. I think Danny Markov would be a good fit, as well as possibly Sydor ( a good veteran presence on the blue-line).
    Now that all the ‘top’ UFA’s are more or less gone, I think we should nab Nylander OR Kariya WITH a defenceman.
    I.e. Nylander and Sydor/Markov
    OR
    Kariya and Sydor/Markov

PS- Bertuzzi anyone????

24. #24 hab4life says:
    July 1, 2007 at 11:37 pm

The Colorado Avalanche have signed winger Ryan Smyth to a five-year deal worth $31.25 million.

25. #25 hab4life says:
    July 1, 2007 at 11:46 pm

Avs sign free-agents Smyth, Hannan
    TheFourthPeriod.com

The Colorado Avalanche have won the Ryan Smyth sweepstakes, TFP has learned.
    Four teams were heavily courting Smyth, including the Toronto Maple Leafs, Montreal Canadiens and New York Islanders, but Smyth decided to sign with Colorado.

Smyth, who was offered more money from the Habs, agreed to a five-year, $31.25 million contract with the Avalanche.

Earlier in the day, as TFP reported, the Avalanche signed unrestricted free agent defenseman Scott Hannan to a four-year contract.

Smyth, 31, played in 71 games this past season with the Edmonton Oilers and Islanders, registering 36 goals and 32 assists for 68 points.
    In 788 career regular-season games, Smyth has accumulated 270 goals, 294 assists and 621 penalty minutes. The Banff, Alberta native was originally drafted sixth-overall by the Oilers in the 1994 HL Entry Draft.

Hannan, 28, will earn $18 million over the length of his new deal.

In 79 goals with the San Jose Sharks last season, Hannan tallied four goals, 20 assits and 38 penalty minutes.

Hannan has played in 508 career NHL games, all with San Jose, and has accumulated 25 goals, 102 assists and 329 penalty minutes.

The native of Richmond, BC, was originally drafted by the Sharks in the first-round (23rd overall) in 1997.

26. #26 blonde650 says:
    July 1, 2007 at 11:47 pm

Gainey tried his best to get the forwards today … players and their agents (especially the agents) hate montreal because of so many different reasons, the most prominent one being our high tax situation. That being said, montreal’s offers to both smyth and briere were higher than the deals they accepted, so wtf is bob supposed to do? 8-years??? common.

the best thing to do would be to get souray signed and lock up a third line center, unless chipchura is on the way up next season.

27. #27 hab4life says:
    July 1, 2007 at 11:47 pm

Good Night!! It’s over!!! Thats all she wrote!!!!

28. #28 Darrell says:
    July 1, 2007 at 11:48 pm

This blog should be Canadians 2007 LACK OF FREE AGENT ACTIVITY and we can not blame BOB. It is sad when a french born player does not want to be here thanks to the media..

29. #29 Darrell says:
    July 2, 2007 at 12:00 am

All this talk about not being able to get a top UFA ? Sounds like i heard it before? Oh yea it was the same as last year at this time!!!!!1 year later and still no big names want ot come here because of the way the media in Montreal treats them..

30. #30 Darrell says:
    July 2, 2007 at 12:01 am

Kariya to the Blues for 3 years

31. #31 TheGame says:
    July 2, 2007 at 3:38 am

well looks as if we are left high and dry once again,and i do agree its the negative media that scares away players from signing in montreal.I say sign RYDER,SOURAY,trade bonk andwhoever the hell else also nab YASHIN andLANG what the hell can’t do any worse than last year.

32. I think I’ve develop angina from all this. Let me get this right,we still have Kovalev?We are not doing nothing? Sounds to me like we lost all the bidding wars,THIS IS STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

33. #33 JNic says:
    July 2, 2007 at 7:01 am

CHL soon. We gonna have the Canadian Hockey League soon if things continu that way. Bettman doesn’t want any new team in Canada, or move any out there. And now, no key players sign for canadian teams, the only free agency player who signed with a canadian team is Blake with Toronto. It’s has to mean something. In the end we gonna have a poor canadian league with bad canadian players who will play for less money here, just like the CFL is to the NFL.

DON’T SIGN ANYONE.

We didn’t got Briere (didn’t think he would fit that good here) and we didn’t got Smyth.

Players want to play in a winning team, and montreal is not since we don’t have big key players. We get these by young guys in the draft, we are getting there but since we didn’t went enough low, we don’t get the big key players.

If we can’t get the high key players by UFA, just leave more space for our young kids, that’s the way to go. The other option is trade, but we have nothing to trade. May be in the Goalkeeper position, but we are not there yet, Halak price worth isn’t high enough to trade him for a high key player with others. If we exchange Koivu or Kovalev or Ryder or Higgens, then we gonna create a weekness to patch another one, wich is not good for now.

Give some kids the chance to play in the NHL and let’s see what happens a year from now. If koivu want to go out, trade him or show him that the other team doesn’t like him has much as we do.

1 Year reconstruction, I hate it but we can do it.

34. #34 Signings says:
    July 2, 2007 at 8:05 am

The Rangers, who already had Shanahan, Jagr, Straka and Prucha, suddenly add both Drury and Gomez. This means they now have 2 lines better than the first line in Montreal. Get some good players already..

35. #35 Jaker1 says:
    July 2, 2007 at 8:56 am

Can anyone explain why top players don’t want to play in Montreal?

36. #36 joshtm says:
    July 2, 2007 at 11:51 am

yA’all wanna know why no players wanna come to mtl? Cause we ain’t got good enuff players to help make the stars shine! This “Gainey is God” comment, kind disproves itself, cause if he was a hockey God, we’d have Smyth, Gomez, etc already. Heck we’d have the Neidermeyers.

But no, we go Johnson, Dandenault and Bouillon, heck the answer to last year’s big rush was Garth Murray and Downie! What’s so Hockey God about keeping deadwood…and this excuse of it being a small market team, honest…

I have never heard so many excuses, heck we’d put the Canadian Down Hill Slalom team to shame with our excuses! We routinely blame the media, the taxman, heck next we’ll blame Celine Dion! Why not coz there’s not enuff chip wagons left in Mtl? Or hey cause the roof falls in at the O! Or cause hey the Americans bought our beer! What other excuses do we have?

Why not put the blame where it belongs? With management. Its the management who signs this deadwood! We have crappy players, and because of that, superstars don’t wanna come to Montreal. Plain simple. Look at the wild west, heck if crappy little Nashville with nothing, can bring big name players like Kariya, okay now he’s gone, but even if little Nashville can do it why can’t Montreal? The answer is, Nashville players play with heart. What does Montreal do? Adopt the City of Montreal’s road crew work ethic! Work hard at making potholes! Look at Kovalev and his russian mafia team complaining and griping….or heck those Europeans who don’t hit back….or those crappy Canadian players who waffle at the smallest check! Honestly!

It’s no wonder Gainey can’t sign players, cause the NHLPA knows Gainey has assembled a bad news bears equivalent of a hockey team!

37. #37 Joshtm says:
    July 2, 2007 at 2:11 pm

Souray to Buffalo…that might be a possiblity now….we’ll wait and see eh?

38. Come on! This is not Gainey’s fault. here’s my proof:
    Smyth didn’t come because his wife did not want to live in Montreal.
    Briere’s boyfreind is starting goalie in philly.
    Drury and Gomez went to the rangers because they have way more talent.
    And Kariya went to the Blues because his brother Steve signed with them.
    Oh, by the way, Selanne’s still availible so Koivu could bring him here.

39. We need another center and 2 defence (1 if Souray stays) so…A) Neylander is now the man, the best thats left and a Swede so he might not mind coming to Montreal. No I don’t believe we will get him but its nice to dream. B) Frankly I don’t mind taking Yashin if he’s cheap, and if we only keep him for 2 years. Lets face it the thing we are all waiting for is Lecalvaliers contract to come up in 2 years, if we get him then we have 2 marquee players (him and Price) and then stuff might start to look good again. C) Chipchura will replace Alex P.
    As for defense…we are screwed.

40. #40 chevy4CH says:
    July 2, 2007 at 3:03 pm

I wish Glen Sather was our GM

41. #41 nigelski says:
    July 2, 2007 at 3:04 pm

Disappointing, but not terribly surprising beginning to Mtl’s UFA efforts. I was hoping for something that I was reasonably certain would never happen, I suppose. Looking at some of these contracts, and the terms of said contracts, makes me almost happy we didn’t sign some of these guys.

Gomez has scored more than 19 goals once, in 2005-6, when he got 33, and he’s coming off of a 13 goal, 60 point campaign. Yet he gets $10 million next year, and recieved the largest per year of all the UFAs so far. For that kind of money, I want a 50 or 60 goal scorer, not a guy who has scored less than 20 6 out of 7 seasons. Add in the fact that he’s soft as cotton, and who needs him?

Briere was quoted as saying that he likes the direction that Philly is going in, and that’s why he signed there. I have to say that I would too, if I just got a 8 year, 52 million dollar contract from anyone–it’s a direction that leads straight to the bank account. I’m sure we could all appreciate that…

Others got overpaid as well, or got more years than is credible. IMO. So I say, yes, we needed to sign someone, but not at any price. If we’d paid Gomez that kind of money, I’d be even more unhappy than I am about the team’s failure to get something done.

With many of the Easts’ other teams upgrading, it could be a hard year for us Hab fans this coming season.

42. #42 chevy4CH says:
    July 2, 2007 at 3:05 pm

We aren’t going to sign any UFA’s. Stop dreaming habs fans. we’re stuck with this less than mediocre team for life! In Gainey, we DON’T TRUST!

43. #43 Joshtm says:
    July 2, 2007 at 3:15 pm

You just don’t get it do you? It’s like when you were first learning how to budget. This is no different. You only get so much moola to play with. Unfortunately for Montreal Gainey has wasted Montreal’s budget on crap. Now he has no room to manouver. When you overpay Dandenault and Bouillon to begin with, and keep deadwood like Johnson and Ninnima and way-overpay them…then you can’t play with the big boys!

44. #44 Joeyjojo says:
    July 2, 2007 at 3:21 pm

Josh what are you talking about? The Habs only have just over 30 million tied up right now, and the cap is at 50 million next year. Niinimaa is unrestricted, as is Johnson(who didn’t make much to begin with) as is Bonk as is Aebischer. They have plenty of money available.

They said on TSN that Montreal offered big contracts to both Briere and Smyth. Players just don’t want to come to Montreal to deal with the constant bull****.

45. #45 Avatar37 says:
    July 2, 2007 at 3:22 pm

Ah, I wondered how long it would be before Josh chimed in with his opinion. Still as worthless as always. Yes, let’s blame Gainey and management when maybe players don’t want to play in a french city and have to learn a whole new language. Even when Carbs was an assitant coach here I heard the rumour that he was unable to put his daughter into an english school. Maybe Smyth and everyone else who decided not to sign here didn’t want to go through the hassles. But, it’s all a bunch of maybes. No one knows for sure, it’s all guess work.

The point is that this year, no one wanted to sign with Montreal. Maybe we get Souray back, maybe not. Maybe we get Bonk and Johnson back, maybe not. If we do we have basically the same team as last year. We’re not making a run at the cup, it’s time to trade and rebuild.

46. #46 Joshtm says:
    July 2, 2007 at 3:23 pm

It kinda shows that Gainey is out of his league now. Maybe he had management do things for him in Minnesota. And all of a sudden, we see Gainey for what he is. A cheap son of a biatch who can’t spot veteran talent if his life depended on it. And he takes credit for the hard work of his scouts! It’s time to boot Gainey out! Give Trevor Timmins the boot too! He’s an insecure scout who doesn’t scout anyone who is too much bigger than he is…and maybe Gainey’s on the same insecure kick too! The reality is in this the new old NHL, size beats speed anytime! You may skate rings around Chara and Antropov and even little Straka, but hey, they are gonna wind you down over the rest of the game….

We need a real hockey team with real NHL players. Not this sad bunch! Granted some of the rookies are great, but hey you need an all around team!

47. #47 Joshtm says:
    July 2, 2007 at 3:34 pm

Avatar doesn’t get it do you Avatar? You ain’t never gonna get superstars if you scout small fry and broken down alcoholics as the backup! Like as if Smyth wants Johnson puking all over him during breaks, or worse yet have Markov fall on him when he tries to defend the goalie! Or watch the other team skate circles around the defense of Dandenault and Bouillon!

No wonder we can’t get players here, its not the racism crap, its not all the other stuff either. If we take your excuse then what the hell is Carbo doing here then?

Or any other player for that matter? Maybe if its so bad Montreal should shut the habs down then! HUH????? Don’t you know how stupid you sound?

Its all about the crappy players Montreal seems to have gotten under past two or three GMs….its gone downhill.

48. #48 Lucky says:
    July 2, 2007 at 3:43 pm

who said that no free agents want to come here….”WHERE DID THAT COME FROM because the team 990 said it and everyone believes it”
    who cares we didn`t get Briere all 5′-10″ of him seriously another small centerman…10 million the first year give me a break Philly is just stupid

Ryan Smith yeah that one was a sad one to let go but hey those are the breaks get over it. Gainey only went after 2 free agents that`s it…and so what they didn`t sign I am all about the guys in the minors now they are hungry and want to be part of this team…

so Joshtm go find yourself a nice women and take her out on date and just maybe just maybe she wil let you kiss her….LOSER FOR LIFE
    I`m so tired of reading your shit and this blog…..

49. #49 Jack says:
    July 2, 2007 at 3:43 pm

It’s been a long time since I posted a comment, but reading some of the swivel written against Gainey, I had to take a moment.
    1. Bob is probably just as p’d off as many of us. By all accounts he’s been making huge offers to people like Briere and Smyth, to no avail. Whether the other team has a better direction, the wives are worried about the city, or whatever, we’ve said this before, but UFAs are just not that interested in Mtl. That’s why we got Sammy last year: no one else wanted him. I think Bob learned a lot from that experience.
    2. The trade route is the way to go, we said it last year, the same goes for now.
    3. The team is definately looking great!!! Lots of fantastic rookies and sophs who will make this team a winner in the medium term.
    4. We need 1-2 of those wily veterans within the next 6-12 months to win the Cup in 2 years, which seems to be the building goal since a couple of years already. As proven these years, the only way will be through a trade… I see Vinny, Marleau and others in the picture.

Long story short, grow up!! Those of you who wake up cynical and then drink a raw lemon for breakfast should cool off and remember the realities of hockey in Montreal since the past 20 years. We’ll never be able to buy a Cup like the southern US teams (or maybe the Rangers this year… whoa!), but we will be able to build one. That’s what Bob is doing … and noting the talent on the team already, he’s on his way.

Now… just a little luck, and a few surprises……….

50. #50 Fizz says:
    July 2, 2007 at 3:45 pm

As I sit here watching all the notable UFAS slip through our fingertips, I can’t help but think… never mind the big name players who have signed already, and collaborate that Montreal is not the most appealing city to play in, we don’t have a single player signed from the UFA pool yet!!!!!!!!!!! Not One!!!! I really do hope that Shelly chooses to stay where he belongs, but the clock is ticking. I said this before, but at this point, why not two guys like Danny Markov, and Slava Kozlov? All I’m saying is that both of these guys are affordable, and veteran players. With Rafalski in Detroit now, I believe that Markov would be expendable, and Slava is a very creative forward who could help Kovy. He’s a very accurate passer, and has a great shot. Markov is a rock on the blue line! This is just food for thought, but if Le Bleau Blanc Rouge don’t do something soon, they could very easily be cellar dwellers by X-mas! Go Habs Go! (Make a move soon… you have no choice.)