Canadiens Can Clinch

• The Canadiens can guarantee themselves a spot in the playoffs with a win tonight.

More importantly, a regulation win against Ottawa would increase the lead over the Senators to 7 points. A number that could just about push the Habs over and put them a couple steps away from clinching their Division.

A loss to Ottawa and the lead is reduced to 3 with another game against the Senators looming in just over a week.

1. I was real happy that my last dire thoughts on the bruin game did not happen,but tonite is a different story with the Sens.They are Hab killers,no doubt about and thier secret weaponry’s,Cris f Neil is back…also with Murray back behind the bench expect the rule book being rewritten”hate that guy!”It would be very good to beat this team up,lets hope!!!go habs go…

March 24, 2008 at 3:04 pm

A statement will be made tonight but i wonder which team will make it? GO HABS GO

3. #3 Chris says:
    March 24, 2008 at 3:13 pm

I’m thinking the Habs will come out strong tonight, maybe even take the game by multiple goals. That’s not the first time this season I’ve made a winning prediction for the Habs over the Sens though, and I’m usually wrong :D

4. #4 Joseph says:
    March 24, 2008 at 3:27 pm

Get it done.

The playoffs have already begun.

5. Habs 5 Sens 2 Clinch tonight!!!! GO HABS GO

6. #6 hablifer says:
    March 24, 2008 at 4:44 pm

I want the habs to start strong, but they started strong against the bruins, and let up in the 2nd period. can’t do that tonight. They have to skate for 60 minutes, no letup. put the pedal to the medal!

7. #7 hablifer says:
    March 24, 2008 at 4:44 pm

I meant metal!

8. I won’t be surpirised if Montreal wins this one. Listening to Carbo and Smolinski, they’re really serious. and with Koivu’s line playing spectacular, montreal has 2 lines and Ottawa has their non able to check 1st line. All we have to do is get our checking line out there!!!

9. And I agree wiht you Jeff I can see 5-2 win. I would be very surprised if they lose this one, the habs are fed up!!!

10. #10 habman says:
    March 24, 2008 at 6:18 pm

look for some “statements to be made “..in this game, #1 stay out of the box, Neil is going to “crank it up a bit”..especially on Kovalev,we will see if they line up the special”K” brothers up with Ottawas #1 line..Carbo may be thinks he should put his grinders like Begin up against Neil, may be a good idea to see those guys get at it..I want to see some fights tonight!..I want to see some hits by the younger guys (LaPierre ,,you don’t have to ask him!)..KOV has to stay away from all this nonsense!, he don’t need to be the “sacrificial Lamb”…but you know hes gonna mix it up…I have a feeling there me be another “cheap shot” and injury tonight,..Carbo is one phone call away..we will see komis postion by the weekend..
    lets do this TONIGHT!

11. #11 Joseph says:
    March 24, 2008 at 6:21 pm

Unrelated rant:

I’d like to see the Habs finish at least 20 games above .500 too. (And I think they’ll need to if they want to win the conference.) I haven’t been a fan of the overtime loss point since they began awarding it, so it would be nice to know that the Habs would be at least 10 games above .500 under the older, more logical point rules.

Unrelated rant over.

12. #12 Ice Man says:
    March 24, 2008 at 6:37 pm

GET ER DONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. #13 Senet 1 says:
    March 24, 2008 at 8:32 pm

haflifer and I sent carbo our game plan it seems to be working so far, but you cannot play a run an gun game against Ottawa, you have to check, check and check some more take the man skate fast and force turnovers. Ottawa looks confused in the first.

I think that if we win tonight it would be better to let Kommi rest rather than risk reinjury. Get him health as Habman says healthy is a winner.

14. #14 Senet 1 says:
    March 24, 2008 at 8:35 pm

Right now with Higgins on the third line we have three lines going strong and the fourth line is doing damage as well. Hopefully we kill the rest of this penalty early in the second and play a strong second period, you know Ottawa is going to come out charging in the early second period to try and score a power play goal to get back into this game. Hold them off habs.

15. #15 Joseph says:
    March 24, 2008 at 8:53 pm

Anyone taking note that the Islanders are up 3-1 against the Penguins after 2? Just more proof that lesser teams do beat the elite teams, and particularly at this time of year. It’s nothing new.

That being said, a three point cushion would be grand. Go Habs, Go Isles!

16. #16 Joseph says:
    March 24, 2008 at 9:04 pm

By the way, this is kind of scary…

17. #17 Senet 1 says:
    March 24, 2008 at 9:23 pm

Yes NYI 4 Pitts 1 in third.

18. #18 Senet 1 says:
    March 24, 2008 at 9:27 pm

Well guys game plan is working, sort of reminds me of the way the OIlers of of the 80′s. speed and checking have Ottawa totally out of the game, thought for a moment they were going to let down in the second but they same back strong after the ottawa goal. Think back a week guys when many of you were writing this game off as we can’t win we can’t beat Ottawa, I believe there were a couple of us who said time carbo time to develop a game plan. Not saying we can do this every night against Ottawa but this is how we have to play to beat them. You are not going to score 7-8 goals every game against them.

19. #19 Senet 1 says:
    March 24, 2008 at 9:33 pm

Joseph, good point the weaker teams play loose and even the lower point teams are not that bad, the leafs are a good example. Here is a team that with better leadership and management add a couple of decent players and they can be there fighting for a division lead next year. You cannot get down on your team because they loose a game to this type of team. It happens to the best teams in the League every year.

20. S H I T T Y

21. #21 Senet 1 says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:00 pm

Ranger game all over, we stopped skating and checking and a couple of penalties a soft goal and we are in trouble. Get you act together guys.

22. #22 Senet 1 says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:04 pm

Killing thst two man advantage may have lifted given them a left. Crunch time last five minutes.

23. #23 Senet 1 says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:08 pm

Final NYI 4 Pitts 1

24. #24 Senet 1 says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:14 pm

We won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW!!

March 24, 2008 at 10:15 pm

We are the best … thats all there is to say .

26. Acid reflux,I gots to find a nail clipper,a wins a win!

27. #27 Senet 1 says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:17 pm

I don’t think that third period was in the game plan. We always seems to have a bad period, good thing we got 7 to start with.

28. #28 hablifer says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:18 pm

I’m not happy the way the habs played in the 3rd period.You can’t stop skating! YOU CAN’T ALLOW A TEAM TO SCORE 4 GOALS IN THE 3RD PERIOD! I said, the habs needed to play for 60 minutes, and they DIDN’T! HABS DON’T HAVE THE KILLER INSTINCT! They are never able to hold big leads, almost blew a 6 goal lead!
    And as a result, I don’t believe the habs will do anything in the playoffs.

29. #29 Senet 1 says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:23 pm

Well hablifer, I tend to agree with most of what you say but I cannot agree with you about the playoffs. This is an emotional game and the team lost their emotion after the second because they felt they had the game won. Playoffs are a different thing and you are seldom going to have a game like this in the playoffs.

30. to be honnest,Bullion played injured in the third and we need more size on D to clear the pileup in front of Price,time”u know what I’m going to say”is now for Biron,lol

31. #31 habman says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:26 pm

Bad move Carbo…..you put the goalie in the shower after 7 to 1(with 20 to go!)…it doesn’t constitute good coaching,,thats why the guys let up…with Halak in net we would have see a better position to to keep the tempo up!…you noticed on Price at the end of the game e wasn’t happy..SEE it?…tell em why?….because he let in 5 ..or should have gotten the curtain all after 5 …i would say …Carbo..I seen you make good decisions all year..but price was the
    sacrificial lamb tonight..and Boullion?..hes ok…so we got away without any injuries..it is just the begining!
    I think Halak could of used some ice time tonight…who says NO?>>>
    If you cant have confidence to pull your best investment with 20 to go at 7 to 1
    It says a a ot about what you say about the team…

32. #32 Joseph says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:28 pm

Knee jerk reaction?

I don’t think that any Habs fan was impressed with that type of ending, but they did enough in the first two to build an insurmountable lead, and subsequently won the game. Look at the positives. Ottawa is, afterall, LOADED with offensive talent. (And a couple of those goals were of the softer variety.)

Senet 1:

I know I’ve been harping on the spoiler scenario lately, but I just wanted to make the point that there certainly are such teams as spoilers, every year, and that a loss to the Blues, for example, doesn’t warrant such harsh criticisms of the Habs. I’m glad that you see that as well.

33. #33 hablifer says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:29 pm

How can a team just stop skating????
    And why didn’t Carbo take a timeout when it was 7-3? I blame the coach! He should have taken a timeout to stop the bleeding! When the sens are on their game, WE WON’T BEAT THEM! and I still believe the sens will beat us in the playoffs, if we play them! If you need a 6 goal lead to win a game, you’re in trouble!

34. #34 habman says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:31 pm

its nothing short of insanity if he doesnt get his phone working Xtrahabsfan….I told you someone was going to get it..but..you HIT you FIGHT you WIN..im taking “wizard of the night award ” AGAIN!

35. #35 Joseph says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:32 pm

My advice to everyone upset by that third period: relax. The Habs will go further than Ottawa in the playoffs. That’s for certain.

36. #36 Senet 1 says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:32 pm

Another way to looking at this is last week many did not think they could beat Ottawa, well we did win and although it was not pretty they played the way they have to play to beat Ottawa at least for two periods. We were fortunate that we had a 6 goal lead but I do not think they would have lost their emotion had they only had a one or two goal lead. When you loose your emotion and the other team gets on a roll the tend to steam roll you and then nothing seems to go well. However, if you want to pick a bright spot in that third period I think that is where we showed some character when we killed the two man advantage, there was a time when we could have folded our tent and we didn’t and that is what won the game for us.

37. #37 Rubberman says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:34 pm

Scary 3rd! The boys will learn from their mistake of letting down their guard…

Do you think another team will score 4 goals in the 3rd period on the Habs between now and the end their playoff run? No.

Will the Rangers lose another game after being up by 5 goals? No, not for a long time.

Take this game for what it is: a win, a dam ugly one, but still a win which clinchs a playoff berth, and put some doubt in Sens’ minds…

Thank you Habs, I’m grateful that you made the playoffs this year. Kick some playoff ass this year!!!

38. #38 Joseph says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:37 pm

Good point, Senet 1.

A 7-1 lead after two periods is enough cause for many teams to stop skating, hitting, checking… because you think the lead is insurmountable (and in this instance, it was). Had the game been closer, I’m sure we would have seen a different effort in the third.

My god, every little thing this team does is under a microscope. And what they did tonight isn’t really anything out of the ordinary at all. It’s happened to many teams, many times before.

39. #39 Ice Man says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:39 pm

A bad coaching job by Carbo.

40. #40 Chris says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:40 pm

Agreed! This was a fantastic win over a team that has dominated us all season. We cliched a playoff berth, sent the Sens a harsh message and had a soft third period; the positives definietly outwiegh the negatives!

41. #41 Joseph says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:41 pm

And putting Halak in wouldn’t have been a slap in the Sens’ faces?

42. #42 habman says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:43 pm

You guys dot get it,,really ..think about it..your up 7 to 1..its the third..what do you do?..you put in your back up goalie to show them you have enough confidence to give them the depth you need to present!..and you dont think Halak wasn’t watering his mouth to get in and give Ottawa a piece!..i played enough to know that!
    Price is a goalie..he’s roomate with Halak..they needed to have the victory shared..now ..lets say Price got injured because he wasnt pulled…is Halak ready now?..NO!..Im pissed off big time!!!!!!!!!!

43. #43 Senet 1 says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:46 pm

hablifer, I was thinking the same when the third goal was scored, that we should have had a time out, then when the scored the fourth I thought now was the time but the ref called a time out to vary the goald and carbo had time to settle the team down. It is a coaches decision when to call a time out and I believe that Carbo had to decide when to do it. You also don’t want to get your players thinking that you are panicing just be cause the other team gets a couple of goals.

As far a beating Ottawa I believe we can beat them as long as we skate, check and hit like we did in the first two periods. We are not going to score 7 goals but neither are they going to score 4 in the third very often. There were a lot of listens learned here again tonight for this young team.

44. #44 Joseph says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:46 pm

I see the logic in both sides of the coaching argument, but had Price backstopped them to a 7-1 or 7-2 win, then I don’t think that anyone would be pissed.

45. #45 Senet 1 says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:48 pm

Yes Joseph, and what kind of flac would carbo had taken if he pulled Price put in Halak and we lost.

46. #46 Joseph says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:49 pm

Exactly.

47. #47 Joseph says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:50 pm

The only legitimate mistake I can see that Carbo made was failing to motivate his players to keep the pedal to the metal in the third.

48. Habman ,it’s a traditional move ,your absolutly right. Bowman would of pulled Dryden and put in Phil Mear or Larouque.It’s also done to protect your no :1 goalie

49. #49 habman says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:51 pm

Joseph….thers 31 other teams ..its not that position…I dont care who we slap in the face!..Im talking Habs hockey…and when you got two goalies that share a room together on the road ..they talk…Price is going to say..”why didnt Carbo put you in the third after 7 to 1…show th team they need to play for everyone on th eteam…Price is not happy..this is going to have serious repercussions fo r the next 2 games..now we will lose to the leafs i PROMISE!

50. #50 habman says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:52 pm

winning is about OPFFENSE!..not defense!