Canadiens Can Clinch

• The Canadiens can guarantee themselves a spot in the playoffs with a win tonight.

More importantly, a regulation win against Ottawa would increase the lead over the Senators to 7 points. A number that could just about push the Habs over and put them a couple steps away from clinching their Division.

A loss to Ottawa and the lead is reduced to 3 with another game against the Senators looming in just over a week.

1. #1 Senet 1 says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:53 pm

Habman, I don’t think you can continue to second guess the coach on every move he makes or does not make, Halak did not look good in his last outing and it was important for Price to get this win for the playoffs. I do not think he could be faulted on most of the goals, the one on the short side was weak but again he learned something tonight too. Intensity is important, the team lost it but I still say they got it back when they killed the 2 man advantage and that is what won the game.

2. #2 habman says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:58 pm

yeah i could of seen it now,,,one minute to go…its electrifying…he’s coming in on a break1..price makes a splendid save on a break!… 7 to 1..playoffs just around the corner…oopss. PRICE pulled somthing on that one!.well worth it eh?

3. #3 Joseph says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:58 pm

I understand your argument, habman, and as I said, there’s logic in it, but I wouldn’t guarantee a loss to the Leafs (not that that would mean anything anyway) based on tonight’s less than desirable ending. I don’t see what tonight’s third period has to do with a game against a non-playoff team two games from now. They’ll either beat the Leafs or they won’t, but it won’t likely be decided by a four-goal third period.

That being said, 210 goals against isn’t exactly reassuring. Especially considering the manner in which a good portion of those goals against came. So I’d still like to see some tightening up defensively, and the aforementioned 60-minute effort.

4. #4 habman says:
    March 24, 2008 at 10:59 pm

It dont matter whos in net!..if you let in 6 in the third your a retard!

5. Ouch,playing the Leafs,yikes!They have nothing to loose and are really giving her,but I prey we beat them and cause their golf game to improve, R E V N G E !!!!!!

6. #6 habman says:
    March 24, 2008 at 11:02 pm

So..if you think that way..why argue about a goalie change?…see..your arguing for the sake of arguing!…it wasn’t a goalie perspective in the third right?.ok so why have your best in net>>>ahhhh makes sense now thank you!

7. #7 Senet 1 says:
    March 24, 2008 at 11:02 pm

I think you guys are over reacting to how Price felt or did not feel about the third period. If was important for Price and the team to know that when they have a team start to steam roll them that they have the ability to slow it down and stop that from happening. I believe the coaching staff wtill explain that to him. He should be proud of the game he played and the saves he did make in the third. I am afraid that the group of us are split on this one. I would not have pulled him, some of you would have. To say that Scotty would have pulled him is rather silly, Scotty very seld ever pulled his goalie in an important game, it was important for Price to be on the ice at the end of the game and be part of the win. I watched Scotty coach for a number of years and I do not every remember him pulling his goalie down the stretch unless he felt hs had been over worked because he played 20 or 30 games in a row.

8. #8 Joseph says:
    March 24, 2008 at 11:03 pm

If you’re the 80s Oilers or 90s Penguins, then defense doesn’t matter. But I would say that defense matters otherwise.

However, if you’re the 2007-08 Habs and you score 7 goals, then 5 goals against doesn’t really matter, does it? So where’s the argument?

9. #9 habman says:
    March 24, 2008 at 11:05 pm

10. #10 Joseph says:
    March 24, 2008 at 11:06 pm

Who let in 6 in the third?

11. #11 Joseph says:
    March 24, 2008 at 11:06 pm

“i would say if i was Price..thanks guys for playing 2/3 a game while i was the shooting gallery for 20 minutes in the third..thanks i needed that..i play 60 minutes..how many do you play?”

So would I.

12. #12 hablifer says:
    March 24, 2008 at 11:07 pm

yes, we won, but you know what? Ottawa sent us a message. It is, when we (sens) show up, you’re not beating us. We still didn’t shut down their #1 line, and if we didn’t have such a big lead, they would have beaten us. Wait till next week. they’re going to cream us!
    In the NEW NHL, you can’t protect leads. you have to stay aggressive, and continue to press, because as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator, the other team will score. HABS HAVEN’T FIGURED OUT HOW TO HOLD ON TO BIG LEADS! they should have learned from their last victory over the Sens , when they barely eaked out a win, having a 3 goal lead. Carbo needs to remind this team, after every period, TO CONTINUE SKATING! THIS TEAM IS STILL UNABLE TO SKATE FOR 60 MINUTES IN ANY GAME I’VE SEEN THIS YEAR, AND I’VE WATCHED THEM ALL!

13. #13 Joseph says:
    March 24, 2008 at 11:10 pm

Isn’t the ‘new NHL’ the old NHL, minus the 150+ point getters?

Team Canada was incapable of a 60-minute game and they won Gold, again. That doesn’t make it acceptable though.

14. #14 habman says:
    March 24, 2008 at 11:11 pm

Im sorry for venting guys..you all cool guyz as far as i am concerned..and we all are .im worried about the HEALTH of the team..and being and ol’ dog i guess i feel that way..i respect all you guyz , your opinions ,your time, and your dedication..we are true ,passionate Hab fans ..GO HABS GO..

PEACE to all /..I hope everyone had a good easter with their families. good nite!

15. #15 Ice Man says:
    March 24, 2008 at 11:11 pm

Habman you are a retard.

16. #16 Joseph says:
    March 24, 2008 at 11:11 pm

I hated seeing a 7-1 lead turn into a 7-5 victory in one period, but you know what? It could be a lot worse – we could BE the Senators.

17. #17 habman says:
    March 24, 2008 at 11:16 pm

Ice man..you are a very slow, in your mind ,a very DELAYED individual..and you are very shallow, low , and obviously have issues that require “clinical’ conditioning, you don’t have a clue..and i feel sorry for you..I love you!

18. #18 Senet 1 says:
    March 24, 2008 at 11:18 pm

I just watched the 4 third period goals and with the exception of the 2nd which was a weak short side goal, price did not have a chance on two of them and the other was simply a bad luck goal that got lost under his equipment in a goal mouth scamble.

If we were worried about injurys then I guess we should have sat out Kovy, Kiovu and Markov because without them we probably don’t have a chance either. It just seems that everytime there is something to be negative about you guys find something to blame the coach for, if we were all as good a coach as carbo we would be behind the bench instead of him.

19. #19 Joseph says:
    March 24, 2008 at 11:20 pm

Amen!

Now, on a lighter note, wouldn’t it be funny if Edmonton edged out Colorado for eighth spot? I think so.

20. #20 habman says:
    March 24, 2008 at 11:21 pm

Ice man..when people are afraid ..they fight…they have to show they have existence..you have it here., share it with our brothers and sisters and lets learn from this..we can except you..we dont have “issues’ with the less fortunate here!

21. #21 Joseph says:
    March 24, 2008 at 11:21 pm

Oh, and as to the topic of this entry, the Canadiens clinched!

22. #22 Joseph says:
    March 24, 2008 at 11:25 pm

Clinched! Presently sitting in first overall with a three-point lead.

23. #23 Senet 1 says:
    March 24, 2008 at 11:35 pm

habman , ditto to ICEMAN, I thought he was going to be nice after we talked last week but I guess he decided that was not any fun. I too hope everyone had a good Easter, and I too have been around for a long time, been a habs fan since the 1950′s and saw many a Stanley Cup raised by the Habs. None of us want to see any of our good players injuried but I just heard a hockey man on TSN say if you put your back up goalie in it says that you do not think this is important. So what message would it have sent to Ottawa had we put Halak in for the third. Basically to me it says to Ottawa we have this game won and so we are going to rest our best because we do not need him to beat you. It also says to our players we have this game won and lets prepare for next game. Now we did not handle the big lead very well, but we recovered and that is the positive thing to take from this game. Ottawa did not send any message to us that we did not already know. Basically, if anything they got embarassed tonight and I expect them to come out next game and play a lot harder. What we have to do is overcome that first 20 minutes on their ice. Then take control of the game. There is another thing that by the next game we may not have to win it and we can play all our second stringers and rest our top players including Price.

March 24, 2008 at 11:36 pm

ummmmm Habman in your 49th post did you say there are 31 other teams??????

25. #25 Senet 1 says:
    March 24, 2008 at 11:48 pm

Xtrahabsfan, I believe that you compared Carbo to Scotty, although I do not agree with the move you suggested, you also must remember that Scotty coach many a year in St. Louis honing his skills before he came to Montreal. This is Carbo’s 2nd year is he perfect, no likely but he is learning and getting better as the year goes on, and remember he also has to assistants that are also very knowledgeable hockey people, and there is an onus on them to make suggestions as well. This is a yound coaching staff that is doing an excellent job and they are growing as this yound team grows. All the coaches were very good hockey players and excellent teaching coaches, and that is why the team is playing so well.

As for the inconsistency and not playing a full 60 minutes, this is the mark of a young team as well and as they gain experience they will be less cocky and over confident.

26. You relize that if Latendresse would of played tonite Pactum that poor performance would of never happend,lol

27. #27 Senet 1 says:
    March 24, 2008 at 11:53 pm

Pactum Serva, I am sure if was a senior moment, sometimes we make mistakes, but really there are too many teams to keep track of all of them anyway and who cares if there is 30 or 35 teams there is only one important team anyway.

March 25, 2008 at 12:04 am

I think some people here need to goto the Laffs site and not post here anymore… we clinched the berth, are 7 points up on Ottawa and are still 1st over all in the east, and still we see nothing but crying, bitching, and second guessing the coach. I seriously think some people here only look for the bad in everything.

March 25, 2008 at 12:18 am

Agreed Don

30. Senet 1, I was just pointing out the fact that Price could of been rested in the third and a very capable Halak could of been inserted, like yourself have been a fan for longer than I can remember and have seen alot of vicious stuff happen in the heat of the moment this time of the season and into the play-offs.As I stated earler I do not trust coach Murray nor C Neil,they do not like losing to the Habs and if the blow out would have continued in the third,there is no doubt in my mind would have lost it.”Crash the net and more goonery” After all that team is a wee bit frustrated as of late,lol .And as for a time out in the third,geeses Carbo!NO BRAINER!! And yes we need more size “Biron etc ” cause the Habs have to prepare for a worst case scenario and hit back hard!!!And the let down in the third,well I do believe it’s the coach’s job to straighten that out during the said game and not let it get out of control.So in a way ,ya ,what would Scottie have done?

31. Post78″I seriously some people here only look for the bad in everything”Hey primaDONa Carnage,isn’t that what your doing right now?

32. #32 habman says:
    March 25, 2008 at 3:16 am

Call me a liar..heres a “quote” from guy Carboneau, Monday March 24/2008…and after you read this ..look at my first comment of the day ..then call me a retard…Leafs win against Habs!.because of this but…look see at TSN
    Carbo: quote:
    “And we took some bad penalties. But the important thing is we won.”
    “I told the players” we should be happy” we clinched a playoff spot and that we’re still in first place,” added Carbonneau. “There’s lots of good things. But we still have lessons to learn.

So…”WHY WOULD HE HAVE TO TELL HIS PLAYERS TO BE HAPPY”?????

I WONDER WHY THEY HAD A BIT OF “CHIP” ON THE SHOULDER?

YEAH..ice man…ARE YOU HAPPY???

33. #33 habman says:
    March 25, 2008 at 3:25 am

Well.I guess Ottawa threw In their “BESY GUY”..EMEREY!..hes the talk of the town..the “oh so holy art thou” Goalie Tender that no one gonna want for not showing up for games..missing and being late for practice…the “future expendable by product”..of a child gone mad!..yeah thats a good trade off..might as well put a “chimpanzee in net to be his counter part”…
    WHAT KIND OF MESSAGE IS THAT SENDING TO MONTREAL!?

THIS ….FOR THE” 1,000,000 TIME IS ABOUT THE HABS!!!!,.not Ottawa!

34. #34 habman says:
    March 25, 2008 at 3:38 am

joseph….QUOTE:
    I see the logic in both sides of the coaching argument, but had Price backstopped them to a 7-1 or 7-2 win, then I don’t think that anyone would be pissed.

So ..logically what your saying is that Price should have played “twice as hard”??
    >>>see..here we go again..Its not “about the goalie”..THATS WHAT I AM TRYING TO TELL YOU!…ITS “ABOUT THE P>.L >A>Y>E<R<S!

35. #35 habman says:
    March 25, 2008 at 3:41 am

See you against the “silent killers”(buffalo)..yes gentlemen.go back a few blogs and reiterate my “QUOTE”

Oh boy..

PEACE

36. It wasn’t Price. Montreal was wwwaaaaaayyyyy toooo nice that game. After it was 7-1. they said, hey guys lets be nice and let them back into it. If I was coach I would tell them to keep going. Not to slow down. It wasn’t even a blowout that we needed to get real confidence.

37. Halak is going to start against the sabres with Price in against the maple Leafs. That’s my guess.

38. #38 Ice Man says:
    March 25, 2008 at 8:02 am

I’m not here to win a popularity contest. I don’t give a Rats Ass what anyone in here thinks of me. I call it as I see it. Half of you Guys live in La, La, Land.

If anyone in here does not want to be called out, then don’t make bone head comments that make you look Mentally Challenged.

Most of the Intelligent comments in here are copied and rewritten by Experts from various hockey sites .

39. #39 Ice Man says:
    March 25, 2008 at 8:05 am

Another Bone Head Comment:

“Price could of been rested in the third and a very capable Halak could of been inserted”

Who ever has seen the Staring Goalie pulled when leading 7-1.

March 25, 2008 at 8:34 am

lol I agree iceman copy/paaste makes people look really smart doesnt it. Funny thing is that we are first in the east and cliched a playoff spot and people still find something to complain about. I wonder why no UFA’S dont want to play here. I guess because we ottawa made a run in the third are season is over BOO HOO

March 25, 2008 at 8:40 am

i guess because ottawa*****

42. #42 Ice Man says:
    March 25, 2008 at 8:51 am

PACTUM.

Smart people do not bother me. It is the Stupid ones that do.

I’m happy that the Habs are where they are. Don’t get me wrong. Just Pissed that Carbo let them ease up on the Gas. No matter how much of a lead you get. never, I mean Never let up on the gas. If we can get 15 goals then go for it. There is no mercy rule in the NHL.

If you are being chased by an Axe waving mad man get in that car and don’t look back right.

March 25, 2008 at 10:14 am

I was agreeing with you iceman.We did let up in the third no question when we should have still continud to presure them.You never let up in my opinion. Do you think the sens would have let up on us?No way. Young teams will make mistakes but i think carbo told then to sit back after the second was over.I dont know that for sure but i am just guessing. Cheers GO HABS GO

44. Ice Man ,if you take snippets out of a post you can change the character of its meaning,just like thier doing in the U.S. run for the president, the only reason you would do that is to try and look intelegent,nice try,lol.And yes bone head,pulling the starting goalie after a huge leed has been done before,stupid!Arn’t you the guy that’s so smug,they kicked you out of Habs inside/out,lol

45. #45 Donnie says:
    March 25, 2008 at 11:01 am

Well guys, good to see we all agree about the 3rd. Thought I was going to be called a whiner for complaining after a win. This team played 2 fabulous periods, and then let old habits seep back in to the game. The same thing they did all last year and at the beginning of this season…….try to sit on a lead and let a team attack you for a period. Haven’t seen this stupid stragedy for months now; thought we were done with it…apparently not. Bad call from the coaching staff. We finally had the might, “unbeatable” Sens eating humble pie….finally had the upper hand and momentum….all that we did in the third was hand the confidence right back to the Sens…and next game we will see the results of that. Riduculous style of play…esp. against a team whose demons we’re trying to shake and make a statement to. Anyway.
    On the bright side, we got the 2 pts without giving any up…the Pens lost also. 7 on the sens now, 4 on NJ and 3 on pitt….and the game in hand they all have will all be made up tonight, without the possibility of anyone equaling us. The conference title is ours to lose. Big last 5 now guys, lets get another couple of banners to hang from the rafters next season. GO HABS GO !!!

46. #46 Ice Man says:
    March 25, 2008 at 11:16 am

Xtrahabsfan

You must have me confused with someone else.

Tell me OH smart one when The Habs have ever done that?

47. #47 Joseph says:
    March 25, 2008 at 12:12 pm

Ottawa sent a message last night. In fact, they sent several:
    - They’ve got no goaltending.
    - Their struggling defence just got a lot worse with Redden’s injury.
    - They’re the same bipolar team that fell apart after the first half of the season, that hasn’t been able to right itself yet.

48. #48 Joseph says:
    March 25, 2008 at 12:13 pm

“Most of the Intelligent comments in here are copied and rewritten by Experts from various hockey sites.”

This statement is absurd at best.

49. #49 Ice Man says:
    March 25, 2008 at 1:24 pm

Is this better fro ya Joe?

Most of the Intelligent comments in here are copied by Posters from Experts of various hockey sites and re-worded.

50. #50 Joseph says:
    March 25, 2008 at 5:12 pm

You are suggesting that ‘hockey experts’ (what a contradiction in terms that is, by the way – hockey experts/analysts are about as accurate at analysing patterns in sports as meterologists are the weather) somehow know more about the game than fans who’ve played it their entire lives know? I just don’t buy it.