Canadiens Clinch!

• The Canadiens have clinched a spot in the playoffs! The earliest they have clinched in many many years, and currently the ONLY team assured a spot.

canadiens clinch playoffs

Will the 3rd period mini collapse hurt or help the team?

With no games until Friday the Habs can rest comfortably. Having assured their spot before the 4 day lay off was a big accomplishment.

The Habs have 5 games left and can control their own destiny. They are in an excellent position to go on and win the Division and Eastern Conference titles.

1. Nice way to start the day,playing for a full 60 mins hopefully is the next step.And call in some beef….

2. #2 Joseph says:
    March 25, 2008 at 12:59 pm

I think that the road ahead (meaning the remaining five games) will be a difficult one. Buffalo is still fighting for a playoff spot and the Leafs have decided that they aren’t going to stop playing until they’re told that they’ve been eliminated from post-season contention. So I think that a win by the Bruins tonight (which will essentially send that long awaited message to the Leafs), coupled with a key win by the Habs in Buffalo will go a long way in facilitating their efforts to solidify first overall.

3. #3 Ice Man says:
    March 25, 2008 at 1:26 pm

WOW! JOE’S GOT BITE.

March 25, 2008 at 1:52 pm

Montreal is not going to call up a un-mobile rookie defencemen with 5 games left in the season. Are you kidding me? Come on guys be real.

5. #5 hablifer says:
    March 25, 2008 at 1:59 pm

hey guys, wouldn’t it be great if we were the team to eliminate the leafs on Saturday. a little bit of payback for last year.

6. #6 h4life says:
    March 25, 2008 at 2:21 pm

A big lesson (3rd period) in a deciding win, I just accept it.

7. #7 Ice Man says:
    March 25, 2008 at 2:22 pm

8. toronto is going to lose one of the next games with Boston.

9. Watch for Montreal only to lose 1 more game this season. There no pressure, They want 1st place, but Not as bad as they wanted playoffs. they’ll end up with 103 PTS. Thats my prediction

10. #10 Joseph says:
    March 25, 2008 at 5:33 pm

Well, you know, I do what I can… even if it means stating the obvious from time to time in the process of thinking out loud.

11. #11 Joseph says:
    March 25, 2008 at 5:39 pm

Incidentally, Ice Man, what do you bring to the table, aside form insults and criticisms? I get the impression that you spend a great deal of your time being tolerated by others, both in the virtual universe and beyond. That must feel good.

12. #12 habman says:
    March 25, 2008 at 6:27 pm

So..they dont “pull” goalies after leads”, they only keep them in to torture them..costing them the best goalie they had scince Dryden’

But in 1995, the Canadiens missed the playoffs for the first time in 25 years, and only the third time in 54 years. In December of that year, when the Canadiens lost 11-1 at home to the Detroit Red Wings, then-head coach Mario Tremblay refused to pull Patrick Roy from the net until after the ninth goal, despite the goaltender’s repeated pleas.

13. #13 habman says:
    March 25, 2008 at 6:33 pm

most important player on a hockey team?…GOALIE!
    most important player on foot ball team, QUARTERBACK!

Its like saying…yeah boyz we are up 49 to 7( each goal resembles a touch town)

Theres one quarter left, and the back up sits there wondering what the hell is going on, the defense breaks down and sacks the quarter back 5 times, theres 4 turnovers and the other team scores an unanswered 29 points!

14. #14 Joseph says:
    March 25, 2008 at 6:43 pm

Starting quarterbacks aren’t pulled in favour of backup quarterbacks, unless they get injured. That is the sole role of the backup as long as he’s a backup. The only exception being a horrible season by the starter.

15. #15 habman says:
    March 25, 2008 at 7:08 pm

I ve seen coaches making changes after big leads…giving more time to third stringers and resting prize players, ive seen it happen when teams had presumably insurmountable leads they will put in back up quarter backs..we will see if Price has anything , or it comes out ,,i doubt though

Should i call you coach..have you played?, and so with whom?..i may know you…

March 25, 2008 at 7:25 pm

Habman yeah Price must have been heartbroken that carbo didnt pull him after it was 7-1 pure touture. You say you have played hockey at a pro level? Whats your name so i can look up your stats on the D.B database.

17. #17 Joseph says:
    March 25, 2008 at 7:25 pm

Calm down there, habman. I was just trying to help you out with your analogy.

As to your comment, you’ve seen no such thing. I’ve never coached, but being from Pittsburgh, I’ve played my whole life, yes, and I can assure you that you’re pursuing a losing argument. Perhaps things are done differently in the CFL, but football isn’t hockey, so bad analogy.

That being said, why are you still on about last night’s decisions by Carbonneau? Move on. You’ll be happier.

And as a reminder, the Habs are in 1st place in the East. They presently own the league’s best offense and the league’s best powerplay. Tell me that you could have predicted such a scenario at the beginning of the season. Try being happy with the current situation.

18. go habs there gonna win it all

March 25, 2008 at 7:36 pm

Hey joseph dont waste your time with habman. He digs in the montreal canadians archives from 20 years ago and tries to impress us with he so called hockey talk. This all comming from a guy who wants gainey to call up a slow un-mobile rookie defencemen with 5 games left in the season and thinks price should have been pulled last night lol. Hey but becarfull what you say about habman because he knows kung-fu or so he likes to tell people lol …. karate chop ..ya

20. #20 Joseph says:
    March 25, 2008 at 7:45 pm

I’ll counter his mastery of Kung Fu with my training in CommonSensu. ;-)

Sakibom, habman.

21. #21 Dancan81 says:
    March 25, 2008 at 7:50 pm

Lol. Some people are so clueless.

22. #22 Ice Man says:
    March 25, 2008 at 8:27 pm

Don’t worry about Price. He will do just fine. He will shine in the up comming playoffs like the true diamond that he is.

Joey boy, I fail to see what you bring to this blog.

23. Joseph fom Pittsburgh,Ice mAN’S just bitchy from being so fridged,lol

24. #24 Ice Man says:
    March 25, 2008 at 8:59 pm

Price and I both have ice in our veins. That is why we are both so cool at all times……

25. #25 Joseph says:
    March 25, 2008 at 9:49 pm

Hopefully more than this:

“A bad coaching job by Carbo.” – Ice Man (Very informative, highly opinionated.)

This:

“Habman you are a retard.” – Ice Man (pot, kettle… you get it.)

This:

“Most of the Intelligent comments in here are copied and rewritten by Experts from various hockey sites.” – Ice Man (Is that a fact? I was wondering where they got their material from.)

This:

“It will be on April 05 that we will we put the Leafs out of their missery. I hope it is a Slaughter.” – Ice Man (An unsubstantiated prediction, and furthermore, one for April of 2005, apparently.)

And this:

“WOW! JOE’S GOT BITE.” – Ice Man (I’m a big fan of the ALL CAPS comments. (wink, wink))

Keep up the good work. We’d be lost without you.

26. #26 Joseph says:
    March 25, 2008 at 9:53 pm

Five (5) unanswered goals by Ottawa in the third period tonight! Holy sh*t! And Ruff left the backup on the bench for all of them! He must be out of his mind! He must have gone to the Carbo School of Coaching!

27. Ijust want to wecome all Leaf fans to the site”its a n easy chant:GO HABS GO”it’s time you know what winning is,enjoy the ride!

28. Monttreal actually has a good task against us on friday. Buffalo has beeen good of late, and they’re trying to make it to the post seaon. those 5 unanswered goas didn’t look good at all though. Price still hasn’t played good yet after the startings of Halak.

29. #29 Ice Man says:
    March 26, 2008 at 7:48 am

“Price still hasn’t played good yet after the startings of Halak”.

What colour is the sky in your world?

The guy is 20 yrs old. Do expect him to play like Broduer.

Yet another bone head comment form the Peanut Gallery.

30. #30 Ice Man says:
    March 26, 2008 at 7:50 am

By the way “it was FOUR (4) unanswered goals by Ottawa in the third period Monday night!!!

31. #31 Joseph says:
    March 26, 2008 at 10:51 am

They scored five unanswered goals against Buffalo last night. That says something about Ottawa’s explosive offense, and perhaps less about the Habs’ third period meltdown in the previous game.

32. #32 Ice Man says:
    March 26, 2008 at 11:07 am

I agree with you Joe.

You have a wonderful afternoon Sir.

33. Get back to hockey talk…

34. #34 Joseph says:
    March 26, 2008 at 11:52 am

Thanks, Ice Man. You too.

35. #35 Ice Man says:
    March 26, 2008 at 11:52 am

What ever do you mean Habs Blog.

36. #36 Warren says:
    March 26, 2008 at 12:14 pm

Looking forward to seeing the Habs in the playoffs.Will Carey Price be the next Ken/Patrick? Keep hoping the Leafs will be finished once and for all.

37. #37 Ice Man says:
    March 26, 2008 at 1:05 pm

Hey Joe what do you reckon Habs Blog is suggesting?

I told a guy in here that I would “TRY” to be good. But it is hard to. I am such a Die Hard Habs Fan and it pains me to see stupid comments. I know that everyone will not agree on what is said in here but some comments are just so foolish.

I admit that I do not know everything about our wonderful game.

My mouth gets the better of me. I admit it.

38. Guys lets all cheer up. Who in this blog would lie enough to say that they expected Montreal to be in first place, even for one week. They over achieved all year and the best part is that they are going to the playoffs with praticaly no experience, but they are going in with no fear of loosing. They going with heart and that is one of the best ways.

Go habs GO

39. #39 Donnie says:
    March 26, 2008 at 1:46 pm

5 points between us and the Sens….5 games left each….2 wins for us means the Sens have to run the table to get first in the Division…3 wins and they can’t touch us….our future remains in our hands…keep on winning boys.

40. Price isn’t doing that bad, but He can do better. Halak will start on Friday though, and Price will start against Toronto. Price is damn good against the leafs. The reason why I was pissed before is becaue I was hoping for a huge blowout, and 7-5 aint that much. I wanted the habs to sens a huge message to the sens. I guess they’ll have to do that in Ottawa.

41. 4 wins in the next five coming up boys. Higgins aid it himself, they’re looking for some good play heading into the playoffs.

42. #42 Joseph says:
    March 26, 2008 at 4:22 pm

I think he was implying that I’m a pretentious jerk.

And are you kidding? I come here to learn about hockey from you guys. It’s not easy growing up as an avid hockey fan, and more specifically, a loyal Habs fan, in Pittsburgh. I admit my yankee ignorance at times with regard to the greatest game on the planet.

As for you, Ice Man, you’re a likeable guy. And admittedly, I get carried away, but there’s usually more sarcasm in my comments than anything else.

As to foolish comments, unfortunately, they’re everywhere, and I’m no exception at times. But try visiting the Leafs forum. Yikes. ;-)

43. #43 Ice Man says:
    March 27, 2008 at 7:43 am

Thanks Joe. Your Ok. I think we will keep you..LOL..

Passion my friend makes people do and say strange things.

Lets go Habs tommorrow night. Damn, all week and no Habs Hockey.

I had to watch the Leafs game Tuesday. My wife is a Leafs Fan being born here in T.O.. She is very nice about it. She accepts the Leafs for what they are LOSERS ans HOSERS. But she still supports them. God bless her heart. A part of me kind of feel sorry for her in that she has never and never will see her team win a Stanley Cup. The way that I tease her about her Leafs, i’m surprised that she don’t leave my Ass.

44. She has to be able to go around it in order to leave it.

45. #46 Ice Man says:
    March 27, 2008 at 1:31 pm

Hey ExtraHab!

What’s that suppose to mean?

46. #47 Joseph says:
    March 27, 2008 at 2:40 pm

Ice Man, you’re here in Leafsland too, stuck watching Leafs games? I share your pain. But if all goes according to plan in my job, I will be relocating to the greatest city of all by mid-summer.

47. #48 Ice Man says:
    March 27, 2008 at 3:06 pm

Yes Joe I live in T.O. Ha, Ha, that rymes….LOL… It’s been a slow day….

I just watch the Leafs game with my wife. It keeps her happy and I don’t mind seeing them lose….

I have RDS HD. I have seen all of the Habs games so far this year. It is great. I don’t understand a damn word they say except for GOAL. I don’t care as long as I see the games. I don’t watch CBC anymore. They are a bunch of DICKS and the picture quality on RDS hd is 10 times better than CBC HD.

Good Luck with your Job relocation Joe. I have never been to Montreal but I would love to some day.

48. #49 hablifer says:
    March 27, 2008 at 6:55 pm

It appears that Dandeneault, Brisecrap and Halak are playing on Saturday vs the leafs. Sundin and Antropov are playing tonight with hopes that the leafs will be eliminated. If that’s the case they probably would be in a downer mood for our game Saturday. But why is Carbo messing with chemistry again? can’t he just leave things the way they were on Monday? Brisecrap againat a physical team makes NO SENSE!

49. Is it not a good idea to keep everyone involved and focused?