Canadiens Resume

• I’m having a hard time figuring out what to write about considering everything the Gainey Family and the Canadiens organization have been through over the weekend.

The Canadiens do however have a hockey game to play and a season to continue. It should be an emotional game and how exactly it will unfold is unknown.

The Canadiens will dress David Abeischer in goal while 3 regulars are day to day with injuries and could all miss tonight’s game. Sheldon Souray, Steve Begin and Francis Bouillon. Maxim Lapierre has been recalled from Hamilton.

Should Souray not dress that takes a potent weapon off the Canadiens special teams which has been the difference for them in recent games, if not most of the season.

Last week the Canadiens and Bruins played one of the strangest games of the season which saw the Canadiens battle back from 4-1 deficit only to lose in the final minute of play. Prior to that the Canadiens won six straight against the Bruins.

It’s just a hockey game, but you have to think the Habs will really want to pull this one off.

1. #1 Brent T. says:
    December 12, 2006 at 11:19 am

Added to the mix is the strange irony that the Picton Castle is closer to Boston than to any other NHL city. How strange it is that the Habs are playing tonight in a place where they are as close to the accident scene as anyone could be, anywhere in the NHL.

Go Habs!

2. #2 hab-dab-a-do says:
    December 12, 2006 at 11:31 am

The game is in Montreal tonight I believe

3. #3 fanatic1 says:
    December 12, 2006 at 12:17 pm

Through all the sorrow we have felt the past few days, it is imperative we stand behind our hockey team and give them strength and support to make it through these tough times. as fans, our emotions will always fluctuate,but we must stay positive in trying to get the habs back on the winning track.
    Because a few regulars might be missing tonight’s game, I think a strong defence, along with a skating offence would be in order. so guys, win this game for your fans, and more importantly, for your GM, Bob Gainey, who needs our support, and has enough on his plate ,without having to worry about his team. Let’s beat the crap out of the bruins! turn that sad and negative energy into a strong and dynamic desire to win !

4. #4 Joshua Poirier says:
    December 12, 2006 at 1:47 pm

There are two options of how the Habs will respond to the tragedy. One, they will come out flat. Two, they will come out flying. The second option seems to be the most realistic. They will want to win this one for Gainey, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Gainey will be willing to do what it takes to get the Habs back to cup finals for his lost daughter. Not to say that the tragedy could become a positive for the hockey club, but it could add fuel to the fire in the long run. Abby needs to come up big and they need to ride the emotion to victory tonight.

5. I think the addition of Lapierre is a positive. The rookies are the key to the cup.

6. #6 HabsInBlood says:
    December 12, 2006 at 2:30 pm

I think Francis and Steve will be in – maybe not Sheldon.

7. #7 smiler2729 says:
    December 12, 2006 at 3:37 pm

Just win it for Laura…

8. Souray is the King. Without him everyone will have to step up. WE will have to grind out 5-5 goals tonight. Abby needs some big saves early. NO long goals today.

9. Still the classiest family I know. Here is their press release for anyone who missed it:

We wish to sincerely thank all the people who have been involved in the search for our darling Laura,” the Gainey family said in a statement on Tuesday.

“Their extensive efforts and their tremendous support throughout this ordeal will never be forgotten. We would particularly like to thank the United States Coast Guard and the Canadian Forces’ Joint Rescue Coordination Center in Halifax for their extraordinary efforts. We are also very grateful to the entire crew of the Picton Castle and the merchant ships that graciously volunteered their time and resources. Our family would like to express our deep appreciation for the overwhelming support and prayers from our family, friends and the general public. Thank you

10. #10 Brent T. says:
    December 12, 2006 at 6:11 pm

Yeah, I blew the reading of the schedule. My bad.

11. #11 HabsInBlood says:
    December 12, 2006 at 6:35 pm

The beautiful thing about our Habs is that this is not a monarchy – I would not call anyone King – we have depth. Souray may be out, and parts of his game will be missed, but we have 2 qualified D men that can take his place. Souray is a -8 boys let’s not forget. I’m not knocking him and I love the guy – I’m just saying, for example, the loss of anyone on the 3rd line (tap tap tap – that’s the sound of me “knocking on wood”) would be just as big a loss.

12. #12 stevejur says:
    December 12, 2006 at 7:39 pm

As a fan It’s hard to get up for this game, I can’t imagine the team.
    I just feel so bad for Bob it’s hard to talk hockey.

As for tonights game I assume Streit will replace Souray on the point.
    That’s the most natural/logical choice.

It’ll be a difficult season after this.

13. #13 Habs#1 says:
    December 12, 2006 at 8:29 pm

While Souray will be missed at least it’s not Markov, who’s more valuble then Shelly. This will probably be one hell of a game since the Habs are playing for Laura Gainey and the B’s are playing for Kessel who’s having surgery for testicular cancer which isn’t a laphing matter.

14. #14 HaBz4EveR says:
    December 12, 2006 at 9:31 pm

well we played good first period… one goal and killed a 4-min penalty… Just hoping that they keep it up for the Gainey family

15. #15 koivufan says:
    December 12, 2006 at 10:49 pm

well samsonov just scored 2 goals to take the lead for the habs and he is playing a great game. so let me guess all the people that have hated on him all year are gonna jump on his band wagon and love him tonight. he just needed some time to get used to the team

16. jump on the band wagon…

no, this is what he should have been doing. One game doesn’t make a quality player. In fact, let him show that it’s not going to take another 20 games.

He will get praises if he can show consistency and produce game in and game out.

Still, the two points are nice…Buffalo won, so keeping pace is important.

Keep going…

17. Of course, they let up and get scored upon..

drama…why does it have to be this way!!!

18. Is this New Jersey all over again!!

19. Unbelievable…a sigh of relief!!!

20. When I see sammy consistently put up points for about 10-15 games maybe then I’ll start to believe, but remember he had a two-goal against T.O. two months ago. It was the last time he scored till tonight.

A 7.5 million dollar defenceman should not get tired in the third when his team needs him the most. Do Pronger, Niedermeyer(both of their ice times haven’t changed dramatically even though they’re on the same team) or Lidstrom ever get tired in the third? No. Chara is overpaid.

But all in all this was a great game by the Habs. Bob had to be proud of that effort. Let’s hope they can keep this going against T-Bay and Pittsburgh(hint on how to beat these guys, don’t let Crosby or Malkin beat you. They’re going to get their goals and their points you can’t stop that, just don’t let them beat you).

Take as long as you need to greave and take care of your family Bob, the fans are behind you. That was for Laura.

21. #21 HaBz4EveR says:
    December 12, 2006 at 11:04 pm

oh baby we made it!!! I was totally freakin out with that goal scored with 50 seconds left… Keep it up guys!!! man we are rockin… No Souray, No Higgins, No Bégin, who cares cuz the habs can win no matter what!

First win for Abby for a long time, good job for the whole team! Love to hate that drama ending they always have at the end!!!

22. #22 Hab-a-dab-a-do says:
    December 12, 2006 at 11:12 pm

who ever put the curse on Ryder can you take it off him? The poor guy can’t get a break, last year those were all goals for him.

23. #23 fanatic1 says:
    December 12, 2006 at 11:25 pm

Too bad Samsonov can’t play his former team every game! that’s the reason he played so well. anytime you play against your former team, you play extra hard. Trust me; he won’t play this well against other teams. the one thing I keep noticing, is that when we have the puck in their zone, we just don’t finish, and our passes in their zone are horrible; also we don’t shoot enough. when we get good chances, like 2 on 1′s. often times we don’t even get a shot. we need to work on passes and plays in the opposition zone. Nevertheless, good thing we won, because we desperately needed a win, and considering we are playing 3 games in a row at home,against inferior competition, these are games we are supposed to win. let’s see what happens on Thursday against TB. I hope Souray and Begin are back for that game.

24. #24 fanatic1 says:
    December 12, 2006 at 11:30 pm

what’s going on with Ryder? he can’t score no matter what!Has he lost his touch, or does he need Higgins , or maybe this is the third year jinx! Breakaway, and not even close! I think he needs 1 on 1 practice shooting against huet. Did you guys see Kovalev’s pass that resulted in a Boston goal?
    Kovalev is a defensive liability, and lately no effort on his part. What shall we do with slackers?

25. #25 stevejur says:
    December 12, 2006 at 11:45 pm

Wow it clearly shows who the problem is on the second line, Mr. Alex Kovalev.

Plekanec and Samsonov awesome showing, great job.

26. RIvet was awful on the PP. Gave up the puck but thank goodness Markov saved him. I think everytime RIvet got it at the point Markov was ready to hurry back. Rivet failed to clear the zone which lead to Bostons third goal. RIght befroe it happened I remember saying that he takes to long to get rid of the puck. Oh well we still won.

GOod game , 40 shots on goal and alot more blocked. IF we play like this we will win 80% of our games.

27. #27 Gumper says:
    December 13, 2006 at 7:57 am

To Mr. Gainey and Family, my deepest sympathies.

To Mr. Kessel,.. good luck and a speedy recovery mate.

Good game last night. Sammi was outstanding. Niinimaa had a very solid game and has improved of late. Does anyone else here think Markov totally rocks? All in all, the habs are looking like a team that is tight and enjoys playing together more than at any other time. You can thank the coaching for that.

28. Montreal tries to play this give and go type hockey that Gainey, Mahovolich and Lafleur were great at. The only problem is all Montreal ends up doing is stealing the puck only to give it away. Clearly a fast skating defense is the key, and you ain’t gonna get that with the likes of Ninima and Streit slowing things down. The addition of Maxim was a great boost. Now all you have to do is bring up Kostytisn and you have a great line somewhere.

Definitely Abby did miss having Souray dump the other team on him and score the winning goal like the other night.

And we missed Souray’s hitting, his scoring, his energy. Gui and Maxim made us forget for a minute Souray was not there, but you could see it in the rest of the game….

29. #29 HabsInBlood says:
    December 13, 2006 at 11:10 am

koivufan: I agree.
    Habs#1/Sam/fanatic1: http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/teams/stats?team=mon

Sammy has 13 even strength goals (1 measly pp assist). He is shared for the lead with Koivu for even strength goals on the team. He has been working hard and skating in most of the games I’ve watched and he got some results last night.

I expect him to produce, and it would be great if he had done more to this point, but I’m not bashing him.

As for the 1 pp point, when the Canadiens PP is going well, they score before the 2nd PP unit (including Sammy) comes on the ice. He’ll get 30 seconds at the tail end of the PP when nothing has happened in the 1st 1:30 of the PP and the offense is in disarray – not ideal for producing PP points.

30. #30 HabsInBlood says:
    December 13, 2006 at 11:10 am

Correction in previous post: “13 goals” should read “13 points”.

31. #31 HabsInBlood says:
    December 13, 2006 at 11:20 am

There were 2 times I missed Souray last night – which goes to show what he brings to the team:

1) PP -> there were a few times on the PP when Markhov had the puck on the left point. Each time I was like “Get it over to the Howitzer so he can unload” … and then I realized the howitzer wasn’t there and was missed.

2) toughness -> a little pushing & shoving in front of the Habs net after a whistle. I thought to myself “Man, I wish Souray was there to lay down the law.”.

32. #32 HabsInBlood says:
    December 13, 2006 at 11:23 am

Sorry I didn’t put this all in one post, but I have one more thing to add. Ninimaa played well last night. There were a few key plays in the Habs defensive zone where in the past Ninimaa would have coughed up the puck – last night he made effective puck moving plays and got it out of our zone. Although Streit says he’s a D man, he looks really good on the 4th line. Hey, it’s not the 1st line, but it’s better than being the 7th defenseman watching from the press box.

33. #33 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    December 13, 2006 at 11:35 am

Wow the excitement and energy a win brings to the Montreal club… you think we could savory a little bit as fans! Even in the losses they are never out of reach of winning. Most games I have seen were fun to watch.

I agree one game does not mean squat for a struggling second line that has let us down for for such a long time, but maybe this is a turning point. A time where evrything came together. There were much more positives last night then negatives in my opinion and the results did not show the true domination over an arch rival like Boston (who always plays us tough). I would bet there are not very many teams enthusiastic about having the Habs on there schedule.

I would still like to see some line juggling to better match (and some cases unmatch)a few current players particular styles of play before looking outside organization for help. As seen from the play of Maxim last night and many others, the boyz from Hamilton have talent.

I could not imagine this team going through a slump like Toronto… I think violence would erupt! Montreal is a pretty solid well rounded team; let’s savory the victory and see if we can string a few together…Go Habs

34. #34 fanatic1 says:
    December 13, 2006 at 12:00 pm

Higgins will be back Saturday night. can’t wait. I think he will really spark the offence, and show slackers what it’s all about. But I’m nervous when Aebischer plays, because he doesn’t seem to have the confidence. still. I would like to see Danis or jarslak instead of him. because of the tragic events this past week, does that mean the habs will stay pat, or does Gauthier have the capacity to make changes, via trade or demotion, if need be? Without Gainey at the helm,how does that figure on any possible trades?

December 13, 2006 at 12:20 pm

I doubt very much gauthier would do anything but sit in gaineys office lol but im sure he has one of his own.No moves will be made intill gainey comes back and thats if he comes back.I have been having a gut feeling that gainey might step down as gm but i hope i am wrong.Laura would want him to bring our habs to glory once again.

36. #36 HaBz4EveR says:
    December 13, 2006 at 7:21 pm

yeah wouldn’t this be a cinderalla story though? Everybody thinks the habs were going to have to fight to get into the playoffs and now we showed em what montreal can really do but lately we were in a sorta slump (winning one, losing one, then losing in O.T., etc) and then Bob loses his daughter and the boys feel its their duty to work as hard as ever and we finish with the cup. All of this for the Gainey family.

Heck they would probably do a movie about it.

P.S.
    I’m not saying that yay laura gainey is dead now we can use that to our advantage. I am as much shocked by this as anyone else. But it would really be something for Gainey to see his team win it for him.

37. I cannot believe that Bob would step down. He’s a consummate professional: in these cases therapists recommend returning to the routine, to what you do best, as a therapy itself. Goodness only knows what the Gainey family is going through and they need to take the time they need. But at one point the grieving must give some way to healing.

As many pundits and Carbo said, it’s hard to believe but the team came out of this stronger yesterday. I believe they will keep it up. Not only because of the tragedy that has befallen the Habs family, but also because this type of event underscores the strength of the TEAM and dedication to excellence.

Listening to McGuire on 990 tonight, I get the impression the Habs are definately one of the top 4 in the East… is it true? We could be looking at a big year Les Gars!

Best wishes to the Gainey family.

38. #38 HaBz4EveR says:
    December 13, 2006 at 9:41 pm

Yeah I think we are in the top 4 of the East. Hey just look at the standings and we truly are third, except that the rankings give top 3 places to the top in each conference.

Gainey should stay as GM. It wouldn’t be the same without him…

39. The Hab’s may have had the same identical record as last year’s team but that is where the comparison end’s. At this time last year Theo was beginning his melt down that would lead to his departure and injuries were starting to become a factor with a team that did not have nearly the depth of this year’s squad. This year’s addition of the Hab’s is a much better team, and I look for them to continue to improve in the second half and finish the season in a good position for a play-off run. Regarding the comment’s by Stevejur; don’t believe everything you hear.

40. Thank you!

41. There is an on-line guestbook to send condolences to the Gainey Family that is being offered by the Montreal Gazette. This can be accessed at the following link:

Please pass this information on to anyone that you feel would be interested in sending condolences.

Thank you.

42. #42 Gumper says:
    December 14, 2006 at 9:16 am

To HaBz4EveR re: post #38-

Try and not to think out loud, then type what your thinking and post it. This was the type of reply i was worried about seeing here. There’s probably no doubt the Habs drew some inspiration from the terrible incident for that particular game. But beyond this, realistically, the players know they have a job to do. One of which, i highly doubt, is to translate Bob’s personal pain and sustain this as a source of inspiration until they win a cup. Silly notion. While we may have seen this crap in the movies or on TV, let us seat our comments (at in the short term) in reality reflecting due respect to the Gainey family. I really don’t want to berate you or call you out, but that “PS” at the end was unnecessary and made me cringe, quite frankly.

43. #43 Gumper says:
    December 14, 2006 at 9:18 am

I meant “To HaBz4EveR re: post #36″

44. #44 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    December 14, 2006 at 10:25 am

Did anyone catch the Pittsburgh AKA Sidney Crosby show put on against the Flyers Last night? Granted it was the Flyers, and there was not much in repsect for defense for either team… but the Habs are going to need to dictate the type of game they want this to be on Saturday or it could get ugly. The Habs usually step it up against potent offenses keeping the Sabres and Jersey to lower score affairs, but they can not allow these guys too many cracks the Net.

Jumping back to the game at hand. One would think this would be a “give-me,” given there 1 n 5 record the past five game, but the Habs have the tendencies to play to the level of there competition. Also note the one win was against Atlanta with 8-0 victory over a top team in the East. Montreal also has a few injuries to cope with Sourey, Begin, and Higgins still sidelined. If the Habs come out like they did agianst the B’s they should do well.

To Bob we all wish the Best for you… and hope that you will return to lead the Habs when you are ready!

45. #45 HaBz4EveR says:
    December 14, 2006 at 10:44 am

Hey Gumper sorry your right I was just too much into the walt disney-type movie thing and its true that this isn’t a laughing matter. I should of said nothing.

46. Though appreciated, no need apologize HaBz4EveR. I can get opinionated and am responsible as well for a couple of rants “beyond the pale” in the past myself. Go Habs Go

Best regards – Gumper