Canadiens sign Roman Hamrlik and Bryan Smolinski

1. #1 johnnyhab says:
    July 2, 2007 at 5:27 pm

+60 past 3 seasons!!! just what Dr. Bob ordered….good signing for the D..now a top 6 forward….Please

2. yeah they need Selanne just look at my comment on Canadiens 2007 Free Agent Activity. Back to Hamrlik: he’ll be awesome on the powerplay with his “Hamr” of a shot!Look I already got a nickname for him “Hamrlik the Hamr”.Anyways, he could play with Markov.But, still I’ll Show you my comment from Canadiens 2007 Free Agent Activity on my next comment everyone read it…, it’s really good.

3. #3 Bobby says:
    July 2, 2007 at 6:09 pm

5.5 for 4 years……way too much.

4. Selanne’s still available and he want’s to go to the habs.
    P.S. Bertuzzi,Forsberg,and Yashin want to come.
    Selanne says he’ll take 32 million for 12 years or 12 million for 6 years, and he would give koivu and (hopefully) Kovalev a big boost. And that would make Koivu a 35 goal scorer and a 95 point getter. Selanne would 50-65 goal scorer and 115-125 point getter. oh, Selanne would also be a replacement for Souray on the powerplay 35 goals on the man-advantage. And instead of Kovalev, Ryder and higgins would be 40(ryder), and 30(higgins) goal scorers. Higgins would have 60 pionts Ryder would have 75! That’s the difference one player can make. As for Kovalev…he would have about 62 points 20 goals so if they sign Selanne
    they should keep kovalev until the deadline and if worth it longer.So come on Gainey! Sign Selanne!Go habs Go!Go habs Go! And sign souray somehow!!(If you have money!!)

5. Selanne’s still available so keep your hopes up!

6. #6 Bobby says:
    July 2, 2007 at 6:14 pm

Second highest paid Hab this year behind Markov……Brutal

7. #7 Bobby says:
    July 2, 2007 at 6:17 pm

Who wants to come to Montreal……..Taxes suck and the media needs to be shot.

July 2, 2007 at 6:23 pm

I like this move.Already our defence is bigger and better defencively.

July 2, 2007 at 6:54 pm

bonk to nashville

10. Why is no one reading my Selanne comment?

11. #11 habs#1fan says:
    July 2, 2007 at 7:04 pm

PS is right. Hamrlik greatly improves the Habs defensively. He’s not gonna score 60 or 70 points or anything like that but he will be good for between 30 and 40. Go Bobby Go!!!

July 2, 2007 at 7:14 pm

smolinski to montreal tsn

13. #13 MadManPaddy says:
    July 2, 2007 at 7:23 pm

Has anyone seen any comments by Habsfan1 lately??? I haven’t seen him post of late?? I wonder where he could be??

I read somewhere that Selanne is ready to come to Montreal for a 12 year $32 million dollar contract. That would be awsome!! Either that or 12 million p/y for 6 years. Either or!!!! Phew…..maybe he could help Koivu and Kovalev get their point toals up!!

Seriously….Habsfan1…do you have attention issues???? Whoa!!!

Hamrlik is a decent pick-up….rather expensive I think but he will stabilize the “D” nonetheless!! Say adios Souray!!

You know…I have always been against this idea but……..what the hell…..let’s go for big Bert and see what he can provide….why the f-u-c-k not!! Maybe he will be the sleeper signing this year??? Now that we have the whole Sammy screw-up in our history, I think we would be safe with Bertuzzi!!!

Can’t be any worse than last year!!

14. #14 MadManPaddy says:
    July 2, 2007 at 7:29 pm

Forget it…..Bert just signed with Ananheim…bastard!!!

Smolinski to Montreal for 1 yr./$2 mil.???????? How old is Smolinski???? Isn’t he like 39-40 yrs old???? How does that help Montreal???

Bob…..WHY>>>>you should have just left it alone and let the young-uns get some time in…..you don’t need to sign someone for the sake of signing someone!!!

I’m sure that having Smolinski on board will make Captain Koivu feel tons better about their cup chances…..WTF!!

15. #15 chevy4CH says:
    July 2, 2007 at 7:37 pm

Smolinski is 35 years old, and has not scored more than 20 goals since 2007. In fact he hasen’t scored at least 20 goals for a few years. So we get a guy scoring 17 goals last year, and the leafs get Blake, who sc ored 40 GOALS LAST YEAR! Gainey? what the hell are you thinking? Now, go get ZUBRUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. #16 chevy4CH says:
    July 2, 2007 at 7:39 pm

I made a mistake. typo error. The last time Smolinski scored more than 20 goals, was 2007! Not very good! We need a younger, and better scorer.

17. #17 chevy4CH says:
    July 2, 2007 at 7:40 pm

Sorry for the typing errors. I mean 20 goals last scored in 2000.

18. #18 chevy4CH says:
    July 2, 2007 at 7:44 pm

Souray just signed with SJ.

19. #19 MadManPaddy says:
    July 2, 2007 at 7:49 pm

Souray in California…makes sense as that is where his daughter is!!!

No surprise to me….I don’t think Souray ever had any intention of signing back with Montreal and I don’t blame him…..any man needs to be near his children…regardless of anything else!!!

Good for Souray….I hope he does well!

20. #20 Alestar says:
    July 2, 2007 at 8:17 pm

Decent signing, need more!

21. #21 Gui-Unit says:
    July 2, 2007 at 8:25 pm

Souray did not sign with San Jose!!, Where are you guys getting your information :S

22. #22 Habs#1 says:
    July 2, 2007 at 8:46 pm

Hamerlik was a smart sining and Smolinski was brought in to be the #3 centre. Looks like Pleks will be #2 again next year.

While 5.5 per may look like alot for Hamerlik, did you see the salaries handed out yesterday? Daniel Briere and Scott Gomez aren’t worth the money they got, especially Gomez.

But since the Habs offered more money to Briere and Ryan Smyth then they took with the teams they signed with. Gainey is working his ass off, these guys just don’t want to deal with the taxes, media asking them why they don’t speak french and certain fans like joshtm who will turn on you after one bad game.

I’d still like to see Zubrus as a second line winger with Pleks.

23. #23 LJ55 says:
    July 2, 2007 at 8:53 pm

yeah 5.5 million per for a number 3-4 defenceman isn’t a good deal at all. yes hamrlik is a good defenceman but i’m sorry 5.5 is crazy and isn’t a slight overpayment it’s a big overpayment. Smolinski is basically mike johnson part 2, he’s decent defensively, but doesn’t hit or isn’t physical at all. if anyone thinks he’s a 20 goal scorer or will contribute offensively is sadly mistaken or just looking at last seasons stats and nothing more. i’m sorry to say but mr gainey is out to lunch unless he has some sort of major trade in mind.
    people will say well we needed to sign somebody and yes we did need to sign a d-man of some sort, but my god when did hamrlik become one of the elite defenceman in the league. he’s going to have one helluva a time living up to that obscene contract. the smolinski signing is either here nore there and since it’s a one year deal it’s not the end of the world, but none the less much better 3rd line checkers out there who bring more to the table than smolinski does.

Joshtm is going to be all over these signing and quite frankly i can’t blame him.

24. #24 Habs#1 says:
    July 2, 2007 at 9:08 pm

Hamerlik is a better all around defenceman then Souray so we should be happy.

25. Still hardly anyone is reading my Selanne comment!Come on, it’s a good comment!
    Thank you MadManPaddy!

26. Gainey is going to try to sign Selanne tommorrow for 24 million 7 years or 32 million for 10 years. Got to go I’ll be back!

27. #27 Fizz says:
    July 2, 2007 at 9:20 pm

…Quite honestly, I’d be happier with Bonk, than Smolinski… just me.

28. Souray says he will retire if he does not get signed.And Selanne is getting upset he’s not getting any calls from Gainey but what till tomorrow! Imagine Koivu with 95 points 35 goals and Selanne with 50-60 goals and 115-120 points! That could be the future if Selanne signs with the habs.But they might not have enough money with Hamrlik and Smolinski signed.

29. #29 MadManPaddy says:
    July 2, 2007 at 9:59 pm

Habsfan1…what gives? No offense friend but your soundin’ a little goofy!!

What’s the joke???

30. #30 riser8 says:
    July 2, 2007 at 10:10 pm

As much as I loved Souray…..Hamrlik is a definite upgrade for the defense. He has been a plus player every year since 2001, a three time allstar, and a
    player for his native Country…plus 22 last year and is a good skater with a cannon shot and he apparently likes playing in Canada. 5.5 mil. for four years
    is about what the market is at right now, and frankly I would rather pay Hamrlik that kind of money that Souray….good signing! As for Smolinski…he
    will take the place of Bonk for less money and give back more production…had to be done as Chipchura still needs one more year of seasoning down on the farm. I still think Bob is going to make a trade for a significant player over the next few weeks that should also booster the club.

31. #31 Avatar37 says:
    July 2, 2007 at 10:10 pm

Smolinski was a signing to make up for Bonk leaving… Frankly, I agree with Fizz, I’d have been happier just giving the money to Bonk… Hamrlik was what +20 last year, and that’s what we need… a more defensively responsible defenseman. However, that being said… Priessing signed with the Kings for exactly half (11 mil vs 22 mil) over 4 years. Personally I think Priessing would have been a better pickup, but anyone with a good +/- can do nothing but help our D. There’s still a chance Souray will be back, haven’t seen anything about him signing anywhere. Selanne would be a good aquisition, but not at 6 or 12 years… although I don’t know where these figures are coming from.

32. #32 Darrell says:
    July 2, 2007 at 10:51 pm

If you look at our payrollwe still have $13,250000 and we have maby 3-4 players we have to sign .(ryder,pleks and gorge) I say 2-3 mill to ryder 900 to pleks and 500 to gorge and that still leaves us with just under 9mill for some more to players. So as far as payroll goes we are not to bad. There will still be some good players that we will (I HOPE)be able to sign. Or if bob pulls of a trade we will be able to handle the contract if we have to resgn them ( like the oil with Pik.)

33. #33 Fizz says:
    July 2, 2007 at 10:57 pm

Anyone think Grabs will crack the roster this season?

34. #34 Joshtm says:
    July 2, 2007 at 11:03 pm

Great, Gainey has handicapped himself yet one more time, nickel and dime-ing himself to death, leaving even less moola room to sign someone like a decent forward! What we get another small European who flops just as badly as Markov? Both signings today smack of old broken down has beens! Although if we keep Souray (I hope now with not signing any decent players now) both signings today will complement the power play but that’s about it. Definitely no power forward, still no decent size, typical small flaky players. Both Hamer and Smokerlinksly there were only good cause they were part of teams who had enforcers. Smolinsky and Hamerlink are also wimpy penalty kings! Great, more competition for Sakku’s hook! What, we are gonna beat the other team to death with limp noodles? We’ll smother them to death with Johnson and Cullimer and Salamander…add Hammer and Smelt Fish there….and Gainey thinks he did great?

Oh well, at least we have a decent power play to look forward to if we keep Souray. But in order to sign a big player, Gainey’s gonna have to hold firm and not give Souray a raise! So it seems Yashin will join the habs, we’ll have a Russian Prima Donna cage match between Kovalev and Yashin, and then we’ll have the Europeans trying to outdo each other with wimpy penalties, while Cullimore tries to outdo Dandenault’s and Bouillon’s pathetic defense! Somehow signing a big name player just doesn’t make sense.

Yup, here we blame the taxman and the media! What, we are gonna blame Youpie next won’t we? Oh ya, Smyth wanted to come to Montreal but his kids were scare of Youpie so he chose the other team cause of their mascot! Or hey, cause Smyth’s wife like the paint scheme in the other teams dressing room, or hey, cause Montreal didn’t have enough English speaking snobs…not snooty enough for Smyth’s stuck up wife….come on, join the excuse making club, what else, or hey there were not enough shoe stores in Montreal and the malls are too chintzy! Come on let’s outdo each other on excuses for why Smyth didn’t come to Montreal! Like as if we heard him say “oh no, Premier Charest charges too many taxes and the Montreal Gazette is too critical and oh by the way, I’m a real racist pig and I don’t wanna expose my kids to the frogs!” Like as if. Honestly, how stupid does that sound? Like as if hockey players actually look at taxes, and the media and worry about their kids schooling? That is the reality of a pro hockey player you jerks! It’s like the military, its part of the hazards your family has to put up with!

There finally got that off my chest. All it does is expose why Montreal will never get decent hockey players, its not because of taxes, its not because of the media, its because hockey players don’t wanna go to a city full of really crappy used, broken down rookies and veterans! No they don’t wanna come to Bob Gainey’s School for For Hockey Players Who Can’t Read Good And Want To Do Other Things Good Too….

35. #35 Darrell says:
    July 2, 2007 at 11:04 pm

I think that he will . Also I hear soury to NYR.

36. #36 Joshtm says:
    July 3, 2007 at 12:06 am

The Hamrlik that Montreal is getting is not the free-wheeling defenceman he was early in his career, when his offensive numbers were good but his plus-minus was deplorable.

That’s a switch from Souray, who had 64 points last season, including 26 goals, and was a formidable force on the power play, but was minus-28. Hamrlik’s last season in the red was minus-20 in 2000-01 with the New York Islanders.

“I have to say I changed my style,” he said. “I’m not rushing too much up front with the forwards.

“I’m reading the game better and I learned to play defence better. And as you get older, you don’t have as much speed as when you’re 20. In Calgary, they taught me a lot of good things about playing defence.”

He also got used to working with young defencemen like Dion Phaneuf, which he will most likely also do with the Canadiens, who have selected defencemen in the first round of the last two drafts.

“We’ll see how many goals I score, but I’m just looking forward to playing in Montreal,” he added. “I don’t know much about them, but I’m sure I’ll fit in.

“I’ve never had any problem with any team. I hope I can bring experience and help the team.”

This is from Sportcentre.ca.

Great, another European defenseman loves Montreal cause hey, everyone knows they don’t have to work for their paycheque once they come here, worst thing they’ll get is a lecture from Gainey and be placed on waivers once their contract runs up…..and then get traded to Chicago for other worn down has beens.

Montreal, where the former great Europeans players come to retire….

37. As a life long Fan of my beloved Canadiens,I honestly feel LIKE I JUST TOOK A FUCKIN BULLET. It’s starting to remind me of how Japan Pro Baseball plays ball,you know the teams don’t care if they win or loose there as long as its entertaining,only one problem this isn’t fuckin baseball from the land of the rising sun!!!All you had to do Bob was get someone like Smyth to help direct the young guys ,how do you get him ? pay the man bob,PAY THE MAN!THIS IS WHY YOU CANT USE OLD HOCKEY PLAYERS IN THE FRONT OFFICE THEY BRING TO MUCH LUGAGE WITH THEM !!!!

38. #38 Jaker1 says:
    July 3, 2007 at 5:02 am

I agree with Xhabfan, you have to pay superstars more money if you want them to play for a non playoff team.You basically have to blow them out of the water or don’t even waste your time negotiating.If Montreal thinks they will get Vincent Lecalvier in the couple of years they better either get a whole lot better or be willing to pay a lot more money. There is no hometown discount when it comes to money hungry hockey players (Ask Daniel Briere).

39. #39 habs4ever says:
    July 3, 2007 at 7:12 am

Bob has shit the bed this summer, brian who? lol. We had the same thing with bonk. This bullshit is getting n my nerves. Roman I like but for 5.5mill/per season, cmon Bob wake the hell up. 3-3.5 is all he was worth. This isn’t for real. I am hoping I am experiencing a bad dream, once I wake up, hopfully its not true. This is depressing, we are a worse club then last year. Cmon Bob should of uped the ante on smitty. Theguy is heart and sole, if you truly want him, make an offer he couldn’t refuse, if not don’t even bother. That being said. I’m gad we didn’t break the bank on Briere, nice guy, good player, not wrth 7 or 8 million specially when joe thornton signs an extension for 7.2. Ridiculous.

40. #40 nigelski says:
    July 3, 2007 at 10:13 am

Where did you hear Souray to the Rangers, Darrell? Doesn’t seem likely, or even possible. Considering that they have around 25 mil this season tied up in Jagr(8 and change), Drury( @7mil), and Gomez (10 mil this season), it’s hard to see just where x million Souray fits in, especially when you consider that Lundqvist, Shanahan and Avery all are still to be signed, and Avery and Lundqvist are due raises.

I could be wrong, but it just doesn’t seem likely, unless they manage to lowball all three guys, and Souray also. In any case, he’ll not be playing for Montreal, wherever he ends up.

I’m not big on the signings Gainey has made, but I suppose it could’ve been worse (i.e. Yashin, Lang, Handzus…etc.). And I guess it could still get worse (i.e, Yashin, Zubrus,…).

What sucks the most for me as a fan, is that every off season finds me caught up in the hype of the times, and I inevitably am disappointed by the results. Whatever the reasons/excuses, they just ring hollow after a while. Barring significantly better numbers this season by some of our young guys, it looks like it’s going to be another struggle for respectability, let alone playoffs. Another season of mediocrity in Cupland.

41. #41 Habs4life says:
    July 3, 2007 at 10:17 am

great pick ups, were gonna make the playoffs now, all Bob has to do is get yashin for a cheap price and will most likely win the cup:)

Go Habs Go

42. Not only do I SEE a LAST PLACE FINNISH for our Habs,but I see a string of looses all season long to the maple-queens and Carbo juggling lines like he’s panning for $ in front of the beer & wine store and our powerplay??????HA !!!!

43. #43 smiler2729 says:
    July 3, 2007 at 10:54 am

First of all, players don’t want to play in Montreal because of stu pid fans like josh and the ridiculous French media…

Second, I’m glad Gainey’s not overspending on Briere, Smyth, Drury and Gomez, those players aren’t superstars but are being paid by idiot teams like they are.

Hamrlik and Smolinski are fine tweaks, Lord knows we need help defensively… and maybe just maybe Saku can talk Teemu into signing here.

44. #44 Avatar37 says:
    July 3, 2007 at 11:11 am

Stop bashing Gainey about Smyth… He made the most money/longest term contract offer to him (from what I read), it was a phone call from Sakic that convinced Smyth to go to Colorado.. Damn Sakic lol… oh well, that’s the way it goes. You win some, you lose some… At Briere’s price, I consider it a “win” that he signed in Philly… Smyth would have been worth the price Gainey offered him, we “lost” that one… I think losing Bonk and replacing him with Slo Mo is a loss, but hey… At least Josh will be happy, he wanted Bonk and Johnson gone… If we sign Yashin, that’s a “loss” .. so far we’re winning on that one… and every day that goes by increases the chances that Souray will be back… if we sign Selanne to play on the wing with Koivu well… Maybe they can get a little Finnish chemistry going… certainly couldn’t hurt, anyway.

45. Where are you people hearing that Selanne wants to come to Montreal? Where the hell does it say that he would be willing to sign a 6 year or 12 year deal? He is 37 years old, he is contemplating retirement and while he may be good friends with Koivu, he won his cup, he wanted to go out a winner. I will say it again, Montreal is on the right track but they are not ready to win a cup yet, they are still a couple of seasons away. Selanne does not want to be part of a team that is rebuilding and Koivu is also getting pissed off that Gainey is not signing big-name free agents. Montreal has about 13 million left in cap space so either they should sign Souray, sign another second-tier free agent or do something soon. I want ACTION!! Gainey, do not be scared to pull the trigger if you get the right player. Also, people, don’t say things if you do not know what the fuck you are talking about, it really pisses me and a lot of other people off. Get your facts straight before you say anything.

Ziman

46. I knew it all along, I thought he would get Refalski though but now I know what he’s doing. Hamrlik is a forgotten D that was playing on the 2nd line in Calgary and not too many managers thought about him, so Bob saved money, and for Smolinski, I call him RADEK BONK. Bonk went to the preds but montreal got smolinski for the same reason they got Bonk, defensive forward. the only difference is that bonk can’t get points, but Smolinski sure as hell can. I see him with Kovalev. speaking of Kovalev, he has to get at least 60+ points this year or he’s done! I here names like,Selanne,Guerin,Forsberg, but they WILL NOT PLAY 4 THE HABS! It’s either Shanahan or Zubrus. Zubrus is just my brain. but Shanahan was sooooo close to coming here last year! anyways If they end up getting someone else, don’t get mad at me. peace!

47. #47 Signings says:
    July 3, 2007 at 1:31 pm

After signing a defenceman for 5.5 million a year, I think Souray´s chances of coming back are actually reduced. Hamrlik is strong and has a hard shot, so he is the perfect replacement.
    Gainey is patient, and sometimes that doesnt pay off too well. After waiting for too long he is prone to overpay players when he becomes desperate and realizes a position must be filled very badly very soon. Thats why he overpaid Theodore a couple of years ago, and gave this huge contract to Hamrlik. I think a top forward now is also needed. Lang would have been perfect, as he played good with Kovalev in Pittsburg. Unfortunately he signed with another team. Now Selanne, to play with Koivu, would be neat.

48. #48 joshtm says:
    July 3, 2007 at 2:20 pm

Smolinski’s record sucks! He scores a goal every seven games! That’s the centreman, most faceoff kings are also goal scorers!

Hamrlik may be strong but he’s already talking like an old veteran who admits to not working hard anymore…if you read his TSN interview between the lines, he is basically saying, Martin Rucinsky says MOntreal is great cause you don’t have to work hard anymore….

49. #49 LJ55 says:
    July 3, 2007 at 2:23 pm

# 43 smiler2729
    Posted on July 3rd, 2007 at 10:54 am. About ‘Canadiens sign Roman Hamrlik and Bryan Smolinski’.

your not okay with gainey overspending on elite talent or tier 1 ufa’s? then you must be furious with gainey overspending for tier 2 ufa’s right? like we did.

so now you talk to the players who didn’t sign with montreal or did you mind meld with them an know the reasons why the didn’t sign in Montreal?
    sounds like your blowing smoke out your ass to me.

smolinski isn’t a “fine” tweak like you suggest he’s similar to mike johnson in virtually everyway when it comes to his on ice play. don’t tell me he’s a good faceoffs man(because he’s not) and don’t tell us how he’s a 20 goal man because he’s not.

it’s seem more like rearraging used funiture than actually upgrading the team to me. as far as i’m concerned it’s upgrade or put your wallet away and let the kids take the reins. from looking at the situation it looks like neither and that we are simply just treading water. everything is all good in the organization except at the NHL level.

i’m going to go out on a limb and predict a 7th to 11th place finish. haha.

50. #50 orilliaborn says:
    July 3, 2007 at 3:05 pm

Just want to say a couple of things about this Habs blog. It’s incredibly interesting and the knowledge of most of the people is unbelievable. Even Josh has been great these past few days. I’ve been following Montreal for 50 years and I had no idea of the great intelligence from the fans regarding the team. I’m a new loyal reader.