Candy Canes

• Canes visit the Habs tonight in Montreal where they look to continue their 8 game Bell Center winning streak.

The Habs look to build on their first win after going through their first real losing streak of the season.

The Habs will be without Steve Begin and Bryan Smolinski tonight after losing both to injuries in Boston.

1. This should be a game where they come out swinging but as usual the other face of lethargic, indifferent and passionless misfits will show up. Why because this is the continuation of the seasonal downslide. The only way we would venture a sound push for the playoffs is if we played the likes of boston for 41 games and a sprinkling of other hockey sisters. The canes haven’t been nice and so it goes this too should be a forgetful event. I would like to beieve that the goalies will be the prime factor but the Habs need to score before that can be a factor. Go Habs Go! (in case the Jeckyl N Hyde) doesn’t apply tonight. It should be a Kovalev game night. I don’t think he’s been too visible in the last 3 or 4 games. Ok let’s wake up and play hockey!

2. just after the first….so predictable….start throwing things around…Carbonneau has some skaking up to do!!!

3. Price is turning out to be a major disapointment.

Price being overated is an understatment.

I used to look forward to see Price in net. But now I shutter to see him play.

HE is a big boy but he is always on his knees. Every goal is over his shoulders.

4. Price gets taken out and in goes Halak. who’s doing better? pppffff Halak obviously. But guys we do only have 1 goal so far. Price isn’t the only problem.

5. All joking aside, I think George Gilette has to give Gainey a push for some kind of change or push the button on a total change that includes Gainey. I think Carboneau has to be the sacrificial lamb and if Gainey can’t put his personel feelings aside for the betterment of the team then he too does not belong.

6. #6 BarrieHabFan says:
    December 8, 2007 at 11:19 pm

I agree that something should be done sooner, rather than later. I fon one think that Carbonneau should not go. And I can appreciate that Gainey is patient as Montreal is in a rebuilding phase that is producing some talented young players.
    But allowing veteran players to perform so poorly cannot continue. Young players are supposed to make mistakes. That’s one of the ways they learn. So I can excuse the occasional error from a Latendresse, Price, O’Byrne, etc. But when players like Koivu think they can float throught the last 10 games or so it results in what we are seeing. Koivu’s not the only one. Ryder is horrible, Smolinski has been below average at best this year, Streit may have started well but couldn’t complete a pass if is life depended on it (unless it’s to an opposing player.
    I’m all for the rebuilding process, but I beleive that this is detrimental to the development of the younger players to have to ge through these horrible, prolonged, mid-season slumps. Gainey needs to get a competent scorer and preferably a #1 center BEFORE the trade deadline. Koivu never was a true number one center and he is clearly on the downside of his career and really cares nothing for this team right now.

7. #7 Habs#1 says:
    December 9, 2007 at 1:28 am

Welcome to rebuilding. Go get a #1 centre? They don’t grow on tree’s you know. Only about half the teams in the league have a true #1 centre and they won’t get traded cause they’re like gold and forget trading for Vinny, the first chance they will have to get him is 2 years from now when he’s UFA. The best chance the Habs have of getting a possible stud centre by next season is to tank this season, go for the #1 pick and get Steve Stamkos who scouts say is even better then Spezza was at that age.

And get off of Price! He’s played what? 15 nhl games? Did you expect him to be Roberto Luongo right away? All of the best goalies in history go through a learning curve during which they have to learn the hard way. Price is going through a steep learning curve right now while he’s learning to be a pro. It’s going to take him 1-2 seasons to become the goalie he can and will be. Show some patience with the kid. The same goes or the rest of the young guys ie. Latendresse and Kostitsyn. This team, whether Gainey admits it or not, is rebuilding. I know Habs fans refuse to be patient cause we’ve been waiting for another cup since 93′ but deal with it.

And Carbo’s lost me as a supporter. I backed him last year and going into this year cause I thought he’d learn from his mistakes but he hasn’t. The coach needs to, and I believe will, go.

Veteran corps can’t get it done either. Ryder is finished in Montreal, I think Koivu wants out and his play says so, it’s only a matter of time before Kovy starts gripping and wants out and Huet is an asset to be dealt. Gainey’s half rebuild, half go for it strategy has failed and it’s time to build for 09′/2010/2011 when Price, Latendresse, Higgins, Fisher, McDonaugh, Valentenko, Pleks, O’Byrne, Kostitsyn Bros., Chipchura, Lapierre, Carle are ready to rock, throw in some smart trades(Koivu, Kovy, Ryder, Huet will be able to fetch some good pieces at the deadline) and sinings(come on Vinny!) and hopefully a ready to rock and roll right away high first rounder this year in the draft(Stamkos, Daughty, Piertrangelo. Preferrably Stamkos as he’s a big, looks like 40 goal, 100 pont player guy) and the Habs will be a force to be reckoned with consistently like Detroit.

8. #9 Jaker1 says:
    December 9, 2007 at 9:34 am

I agree with everyone but we need a coach who has patience for the kids and realizes he is probably not going to make the playoffs let alone win the Stanley Cup. I think I would send Ryder and Carboneau to the New York Islanders for Ted Nolan. Wouldn’t he be great with the kids with his upbeat method of coaching.

December 9, 2007 at 10:11 am

Lets not get all excited about Fischer and Mcdonaugh considering they both failed to make the U.S.A junior team.

10. #11 Habs#1 says:
    December 9, 2007 at 11:40 am

You may have a point about Fisher, not McDonaugh considering he’s only 18 and this USA blueline is supposed to be the deepest it’s ever had.

December 9, 2007 at 12:07 pm

Thats very true about mcdonaugh but i dont know why people keep talking about fischer and how he will someday run the habs blueline.Well i know he is still young but its not looking good for the fish

12. some people say that calgarywont accept Ryder.They will because his lil bros was drafted by calgary and two bros on a team are always amazing. but for us getting Tanguay would also be great!

13. The way the Hab are playing”like or worse than Samsenov,lol”,makes me question whyin the hell someone would want our players in trade talk.Maybe some prospects ,Price , Saku and Markov are wanted ,which leaves ?????

14. #15 BarrieHabFan says:
    December 9, 2007 at 12:50 pm

Habs#1, I agree totally. Hoping for a number one center now is a strecth. That will take time. But there are several centers out there that could be available that have future potential and would provide more effort and (right now) ability than Saku is providing. Watching the supposed best player on this team play over the last ten or so games has been painfull at best.
    I’ve always thought Saku would be great on the number two line when and if Montreal can land a true first line player, but I don’t think that either Saku or Montreal can wait for that to happen now. He needs to go.

15. #16 groundworking says:
    December 9, 2007 at 1:08 pm

Guillaume Latendresse will peak in his career as a great third line checking center, if he works hard. We delude ourselves if we think that he is part of the youthful core to build around. But I definitely support the idea of getting some youth for top players, but Koivu is the heart of this hockey team. What’s happened, in my view, is that too many borderline NHL players somehow developed a sense of entitlement to their position (Latendresse is one of them, Ryder another, Smolinksi yet another, and so on). Here’s another problem. If we trade away Koivu, and let Lapierre play every night, then it will probably test our metal as Montreal Canadiens fans to cheer for a team where Latendresse and Komisarek yap trash talk at the opposition all night long. I can stand Komisarek because he is a good, tough player, but Lapierre is just an annoying mouthpiece who is really hard to cheer for.

December 9, 2007 at 1:57 pm

Guy latalentless will find himself playing most of his career in the AHL.The only way i can see him staying on this team is if he calls Jenna Jameison and asks her for a few pointers for when he is underneath gainey and carbo’s desk.

17. Say goodbye to playoffs this season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lets start fresh next season without carbo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am sick and tired of inexperienced coaches year after year.The last experienced coach we had was jacques demers and a stanley cup to go with it!!!!
    This team cannot afford inexperienced coaches.my patience has run out!!!!!!!!!!

18. I have to agree with johns’comments,we have a lot of young players with potential,and we dont need a rookie ‘green’ coach to spoil their confidence and futures.How dare you embarass price in front of family,when this game was over after the first period.he is not the one to blame!!!!!!!!Maybe it is time to look at yourself in the mirror GUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. #20 Habs#1 says:
    December 9, 2007 at 7:45 pm

Well, at least the people who demand winning now can take solace in the fact that the Habs aren’t as bad as the Miami Dolphins!

20. carbo is the man to go with.Give him some time and he and gainey will bring a championship team back to montreal where it belongs.The last canadian team to win the cup was montreal and the next canadian team to win the cup will be montreal.SENS SUCK.LEAFS SUCK.OILERS SUCK.FLAMES SUCK.CANUCKS SUCK.GO HABS GO.

21. #22 MrBigTime says:
    December 10, 2007 at 5:29 pm

Hey… I betcha Pat Burns would come back if asked now… he would be great~

22. #23 Dancan81 says:
    December 10, 2007 at 10:23 pm

How about Richer, Lebeau, Svoboda, Desjardins, Mcphee, Ludwig ect… Quit living in the past MTL. It’s holding you back.

23. Well, the Leafs spanked Tampa tonight. You can bet that Tampa will bring it when they come to Montreal. God help the Habs. The leafs can man handle Tampa but Montreal will struggle to get even a point tomorrow…… We all know who will win that game tomorrow….

OH and my prediction has almost come true. The leafs will pass the Habs in the standings before X-mas. Will they are tied with us now. I guess it won’t take till X-mas. Saturday night maybe.

Oh dear…….I feel faint…….

24. Rebiero now has 13 goals and 27 pts,so again the people who tried to tie me to a cross and burn me for sudjesting it was a mistake for trading him,once again,kiss me where the sun don’t shine,lol.

25. Ribiero,Mickey Ribs …. that was nice of us to develop him for Dallas.I guess that was a thank-you from Gainey for expanding his horizons.GO PRICE GO…STICK UP FOR YOURSELF Carey,do your thang!

26. Mostly every player who leaves the Habs, (except for Sammy) plays pretty good. What does that tell you. Players don’t want to play in Montreal….. PERIOD.

27. #28 patrick says: