Carbo flips – Habs out-classed

• I’ve been trying to find the audio of Carbonneau flipping out in French but I haven’t yet.

Just tune in to any Montreal radio station today and I’m sure it will be replayed.

Guy Carbonneau showed sings of anger and frustration after yesterday’s 2-0 loss to the Red Wings.

The Habs didn’t show up, they didn’t work and it showed.

The Habs are a decent team, the Red Wings are a good team. The Habs are a playoff toss up, the Wings always playoff contender. The difference couldn’t have been clearer than yesterday’s game.

Carbonneau’s patience seems to be running out and tonight against the Canucks we might see a different lineup and perhaps a press box visit or night on the bench for some players.

The problem is the Canucks are in town and are on a tear. Not to mention Roberto Luongo wins games on his own, and loves to play in Montreal.

On the other hand, David Abeischer allowed two horrible goals against the Wings. If he hopes to have any chance to ever break into some more games he can not play like he has. Who will confidently play Abeischer after performances like that?

What kind of performance can we expect tonight?

1. Carbo must be a man of incredible patience then, his defense hasn’t been there all season, or he lacks the skill to see that it hasn’t been there all season….hmm…yes Carbo, the boat has a hole and it’s sinking….I guess Gillette and the shareholders must be putting the pressure on Gainey and Carbo….

2. #2 high 4 habs says:
    January 16, 2007 at 12:56 pm

Actually, Rob, you entirely missed the boat! When a team gets blown out, has the habs did on Saturday, and the following game they don’t show up, what does that tell you?It tells me, they don’t care about winning, and that maybe Carbo has lost this team. In other words, they have decided to TUNE OUT their coach.That is a very bad sign. this isn’t just 2 losses. it’s now, losing 7 of their last 11, and a repetition of what happens EVERY SINGLE YEAR! the same SH#@*%^T! We’re tired of it! we’re not willing to settle, yes settle, for that same M E D I O C R I T Y anymore! So, wise up you hohum fans, start thinking with your head. This is a team that won earlier with alot of luck, NOT TALENT, and luck takes you only so far! This is by far, the LEAST talented habs team I have seen in a long time. Where is their talent? Plekanec, Bonk, Murray, Johnson, Downey? If Koivu(who’se never scored more than 25 goals), Higgins(not playing up to his potential, or maybe a flash in the pan), Ryder(not playing up to his potential), Kovalev(who NEVER plays up to his potential), Latendresse(potential, that’s all, and mostly hyped up by media), and nobody else! Even if these few showed up, that’s equal to 1 line. There isn’t any 2nd line! Why do you think Carbo plays a 4th line center(Plekanec), on the 2nd line? Last night he tried Johnson(a 3rd liner) on the 1st line. Carbo HAS NOBODY DECENT to put on his 2nd, and 3rd lines!! No SKILL, NO TALENT, NO HEART,=NO WINS!!!!!!!!!! I think some of the people who come on this site, can’t spell, don’t know how to speak, can’t verbalize, are total idiots with nothing of value to say, don’t understand the game of hockey, and certainly haven’t followed the habs for 40 years, as I have. So you people who CONSTANTLY say, it’s only a loss, look behind you, because a freight train is coming , in the form of Carolina, Ottawa, TB, Boston, NYR, which will habs(if lucky) in 8th place!

3. #3 patcat says:
    January 16, 2007 at 1:19 pm

Here is the link to the Guy Carbonneau audio (in French) from the press conference
    after the Detroit game. It ends rather abruptly.

4. #4 kazmojo says:
    January 16, 2007 at 1:19 pm

joshtm, did you even watch the game? Habs were out-classed, but on offense not defense. Maybe once per period did they make Hasek work. But on defense, they allowed zero real chances. The two goals were classic Abby — out of position. He’s got great lateral movement and can makes the highlight save, but can always be counted on to allow at least one softie per game.

Huet doesn’t have that kind of lateral movement (and thus isn’t as good on shootouts), but plays an impeccable positional game. When he gets beat, it’s because the defense left a man open on his opposite side. If Huet were in net yesterday, it would have been 0-0 through OT with the way the Habs were playing defense.

It’s their offense that needs a kickstart, and Carbo made that clear by changing the lines throughout the game — mainly by giving Samsonov less icetime and replacing him with Mark Streit of all people.

Here’s hoping Samsonov’s in the press box tonight. It’s been long overdue.

5. #5 balzac says:
    January 16, 2007 at 2:03 pm

Give Abby a break. He was weak on the 1st goal, but the d was even weaker on the 2nd. The Habs need to wake up or they’re going to be fighting for the 8th spot, rather than sitting pretty in the 4th.

6. #6 joshtm says:
    January 16, 2007 at 2:16 pm

Yes, I saw the game, Kovalev and Koivu and Gui all put in great performances, as did Ryder.

But I guess High4Habs must have a relative that works for the habs defense perhaps, because, even TSN remarked as did the CTV sports, mind you all Toronto based bigots, notice the defense has not been there in the game and struggling all season.

Even the two goals came from Wings who haven’t scored much all season, what does that tell you? Hmmm…the Wings drew many defensive penalties because the offense was just too hot, too bad they didn’t score but Hasek was a great goalie, always has been, probably will be until he retires…

39 shots on Abby, to Montreals 23…hmm…kinda says the defense was not there. 29 faces offs won by Detroit to Montreals 20…

The stats are there, clearly the defense once again lost it for Montreal and the habs need a decent faceoff man.

7. #7 joshtm says:
    January 16, 2007 at 2:18 pm

Sorry High4Habs, loved your post, I meant to say Kazmojo must have someone who he is related to that works for the Habs defense….loved High4Habs post. Real Habs fans are hurting cause of the lacklustre defense and the inconsistent coaching by Carbo. Clearly he is Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde, which one is gonna show up at the game? Carbo take your friggen Lithium at least.

8. The Canadiens need to make changes. I feel if they lose a couple more games or even lose tonight they will make a major trade. They need some changes fast because the way they are playing right now, they might just be fighting for the last playoff spot. By the way, High4Habs, are you a Leafs fan as well? It seems like you criticize them every time they play poorly and it seems like you don’t want them to win. I want Montreal to win. I believe that Gainey will be able to bring a marquee player to Montreal either via trade or free agency. To say that no one wants to come and play in Montreal because of the high taxes and language issues is absurd. Gainey said last summer that there were some free agents who did want to come to Monreal but did not fit into Monreal’s plans. French Canadian players like Vincent Lecavalier and Martin St. Louis would want to come here and play. Hell, J.P. Dumont wanted to come here but we did not have the cap space to get him. We need a second line center a proven goal scorer. We also need to get rid of Rivet and maybe even Streit to get a capable #1 defenceman. I agree with some of you that Samsonov has to go, but we should keep Kovalev because he is so talented and needs the right person to play alongside him. The Habs are on the right track and they need at least another year to become a bonafide cup contender. I did not expect them to be a cup contender this year but they are getting there. Hopefully, they can do it sooner rather than later and win a cup by 2010. I am a patient man and can wait a couple more years before they are a legitimate contender. Anyways, talk later!

Ziman

9. #9 germanhabsfan says:
    January 16, 2007 at 2:44 pm

Hello Habs Fans,
    I´m from Germany and I follow this blog for about 8 months. I grew up in a city supporting the oldest german hockey club (founded in 1878, first hockey match in 1929). Very similar to the Montreal Canadiens, the fans are passionate and very critical with their team. I love the Canadiens since the early 80th, that time my favorite goaltender Vladislav Tretjak wanted to play for the Canadiens.
    I watch most of the games and I have to say that I get sick of these so called “fans” who only bash the habs.
    Just try to look on your team from a different point of view:
    - yes, they are in a slump, but they will make the playoffs only the playoffs count. Regular season is to qualify and get into the shape to go far in the playoffs
    - Alex Kovalev is one of the most exiting player to watch in the entire league – do you really think bashing him like you do will increase his intensity and passion to play for the Habs?
    - You cry for some scoring superstars… why do you think such players with heart like Mr. Shannahan, Lecavalier, St. Louis won´t come to Montreal? Only the taxes? Too much enthusiasm for hockey? It´s you who bash them so badly for one single turnover!
    - You even bash BG, one of the best and classiest player Montreal ever had, a GM who proved that he know how to build Stanley Cup winners
    - Guy Carbonneau and his staff – one of the best group of trainers in the entire NHL and great former HABS Stars and Cup winners

I love to watch every Habs game, even when they loose. The Habs play very entertaining and we have a lot of players with a big heart like Mike Johnson who is so important for his team and so underrated by you so called hockey experts (i.e. joshthm). Sometimes I think this is a Leafs blog!
    So stay cool, support our HABS or leave this blog!
    GO HABS GO!

10. #10 high 4 habs says:
    January 16, 2007 at 2:55 pm

Hey Ziman; exactly how many good free agents have we attracted? forget Samsonov(nobody wanted him, so he signed with us). The answer is N O B O D Y !
    It’s a known fact that players don’t want to play here. Why should they? high taxes, pressure media that demands alot, wanting players to learn french, and pressure to win, forcing children to go to french schools. hey, I don’t blsme them. It’s hard enough toplay, without all these external pressures put on you.
    Face it: The habs overachieved the 1st half of the season. Their record is not indicative of their talent. Now the real habs are showing up, (mediocre, at best). We are a 500 team, like it or not! If you read my posts,(obviously you didn’t, or are 1 of those morons I spoke of) you would realize this club is not a contender in any shape or form. It will take several years, unless we luck out; (the 1993 cup we lucked out because we were very mediocre). So grin and bear it, but to say I am not a habs fan, is the highest form of idiocracy!
    I have been a fan since 1966. were you born then? Guess not, explains your unintelligent remarks. I know more than you think, and have seen more than my share of good and bad teams. This team is the middle of the row team, with lots of holes and few resolves. It seems when people on this blog don’t understand your comments, or don’t agree, the only line they come up with, “you’re a leafs fan”; how moronic can you be! Trying reading, instead of inventing ideas!

11. #11 high 4 habs says:
    January 16, 2007 at 3:01 pm

Even Carbo was furious with his team after last night’s lack luster performance. So people understand what’s going on. Don’t expect miracles.We will probably make the playoffs( sneak in), and be ousted in the 1st round. I’m not being negative; I’m a realist. But nothing would make me happier than to see this team win, so it pains me when we lose. I hate losing, as so should you. get angry, but not at my comments, but at your team’s play!

12. Hey High4Habs, you are right with some of these comments and yes, I was not born in 1966 but 1981, I am only 25 years old. I guess I am a just very pissed off at losing. I know all about the glorious winning tradition of the Montreal Canadiens and want them to become a Stanley Cup contender and win again. I think we Habs fans have been spoiled with them winning so many Stanley Cups, kind of like Yankees fans and all their World Series, am I right? When one teams wins as many championships and wins it as often as the Canadiens did for many decades, you expect it. Someone on this blog said it was their birthtrightot win it every year. I agree the glory days are over and the Canadiens will never be the dynasty they were in the 50′s, 60′s and 70′s. There is too much parity right now and with the salary cap, it will make it is impossible to have a dynasty so I am not expecting a dynasty from Montreal, I just want them to win a cup sometime in the next 3 or 4 years. Even High4Habs would agree with me that they are at least a couple of years away from being a legitimate cup contender. Let’s pray that some big free agent just might consider Montreal and hopefully Gainey can convince them to come here. What about those Forsberg rumours? Any chance they might be able to acquire him at the trade deadline. I think maybe at the deadline when some teams are dumping salaries, we might be able to acquire someone from one of these teams that are out of a playoff spot. Again to High4Habs, I am sorry if I have made some negative remarks to you but I am not a moron and I have been a hockey fan since the age of 4 and have a lot of knowledge about the game. I am just a little frustrated as are many other Canadiens fans at all the games they have lost the last 3 weeks that I just need to express my anger. Sorry, man

Ziman

13. #13 snake says:
    January 16, 2007 at 3:35 pm

IT all starts with the defensive zone coverage down low. WE are constantly leaving guys open for the pass that leads to pressure and shots againsst. This does not allow us to leave the zone and get the puck to our forwards.

ANd yes this even includes Markov and Komisarek. Right now if Markov wanted 5 million I would have to say NO WAY, even though he is our best defender.

RIVET MUST FOLLOW MURRAY ON WAIVERS.

14. #14 high 4 habs says:
    January 16, 2007 at 4:34 pm

Hey Ziman, apology accepted. I think we, as habs fans, are all frustrated and want our team to win. Yes, I really got spoiled by all those great teams we had, especially in the 70′s. I know you weren’t around then, but if you think teams like Detroit are good now, wow, the habs from 1975-79 would have blown your mind! If you get Bell expressvu, check out the channels around leafs tv, because they show vintage games from the 70′s, and maybe you can get a glimpse of our past glory. Do you know that, in 1976 we lost only 8 games the entire season? that team was awesome! there wasn’t a weak position. from forwards, like Lafleur, Shutt, Curnoyer, Lemaire, Larouche, all were 40 goal scorers. And if you think Souray is good, Robinson, Lapointe, Savard, and Langway(who became an allstar with Washington), were awesome. Dryden was a fabulous goalie. So now you know how difficult it is to accept the team we have now. I just want to show the rest of the league, that we are still the great and mighty Montreal Canadiens, and not this so so team!

15. Guys I hate to say this, because I have been a montreal canadiens fan since 1958. this is not a good team. can only score against weaker teams, and powerplay goals, very few 5 on 5 goals.you gotta be able to score 5 on 5 and the powerplay against any team if you want a crack at the stanley cup. if you can’t do that, not a chance. that’s the kind of team montreal has and you better believe it or you don’t know anything about hockey.montreal don’t have one player to put on the ice when they need the goal to tie it up or win it. years ago, they had lafluer, lemiere, shutt, lambert and the list goes on, they don’t have a list anymore and i don’t know how they are ever going to build a cup contender with this gang, no scores. the season is half over and their top scores has 15 goals that’s a joke. look at ottawa they have a player there with 28 goals that’s what the canadiens need 2 or three players like that than you’d see a cup in montreal otherwise forget it, no scores, no defence, goaltending so so long ways from winning a stanley cup and I may add could miss the playoffs, three or four teams gaining on them look out, in the end they will be fighting for the 8th spot.

16. #16 I am Canadien says:
    January 16, 2007 at 11:09 pm

And the reality is; there is nothing that can be done(significantly). Salary cap rules blah blah blah..besides, as a GM on another team, I don’t think I would want anyone one this team anyway. Especially for the money they’re “earning”. Too bad to say but it is true.
    We’re just going to have to strap ourselves in a hope for the best and MAYBE they can improve after the allstar break.
    (My Beer League team could have probably got a lucky one by Luongo!)

17. #17 Jack Tornton says:
    January 16, 2007 at 11:59 pm

The most funny thing about this team right now is that the two of the WORST players actually made it to the all-star game. Nothing is more funny than that. Every team found the key to Habs powerplay: BLOCK SOURAY! Every single team knows about it now. Sourays value: 3.1million not more. NOT MORE!

18. They are talking bout picking up conroy, that’s another over the hill dead beat 36 years old. you can’t go that way picking up has beens, that’s the way toronto does it and how many cups have they won in the last 15 years a big zero. stick with the young guys, take your lickins and someday the Habs will have a stanley cup team. Gainey stay away from other teams problems like samsonov,give some team 3 or 4 players and get a good young player in return like frolov down in los angeles only way to go.no more washed up players….

19. #19 Gui-Unit says:
    March 5, 2007 at 11:29 pm

Rangers won…now they’re only 1 point behind us with two games in hand..at this rate,the habs have to win all their games if they want to make the playoffs.