Carey Price World Junior Shutout

• Montreal Prospect Carey Price was by far the best player on the ice and earned a shutout in Canada’s opening game of the World Junior Championship.

Canada as a team looked questionable and pulled off the win mostly due to Price’s strong play.

Keep an eye on him throughout the Tournament.

1. Its funny how TSN keeps saying how Price won the job by default and dont really give him any credit. I cant help but wonder if this is because he is a Habs prospect. Last year with Pogge they kept raving about him although he only had to make like 12 saves a game. ANd we all know which team holds his rights. Coincidence?

Price is the man.

2. #2 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    December 26, 2006 at 6:13 pm

It may be time to find Abby a new home. I like the guy, but Huet has pretty much come out as the better of the two as a starter. We should free up some room to call up some younger talent. Huet and Abby both have a hefty price tag. I do not think anyone would feel confident if Huet went down before the playoffs and Abby was forced into the go-to role… Isn’t that why they’re paying him $1.9 million as a back-up so we the have confidence that the Habs have the best 1-2 punch in the League? I do not think Abby going to return next year in this role or management can even afford him in this role as a back up… (I may regret saying this if something did happen to Huet)

Management has played the cautious card “what if” game and it got Lapeirre sent back to the minors because money was tight. Maybe we should let it all hang out and play some wild cards in the “what if” game? Try find hidden gems with players that have performed in the minors to fill roles in areas the Habs may be lacking… one of those roles is a strong center! Someone who can take a pounding in front of the net and in the trenches not always looking the best but producing results. Price, Danis, Kostitsyn, Chipchara, ect. are players that possibly fill roles at a lower cost.

Lets face it, the New NHL has changed the game to who can best spend their money the wisest. I think management has been doing a great job trying to bring seasoned talent into Montreal with some moves paying off, but should be will to shift gears for a run at the Cup as we inch toward the midway point!

3. coutNY_HabsFan,man,BINGO.NICELY PUT SIR,I tip my hat too you.

4. To bad Price is in the Juniors and can’t be called up or sent down. And if there’s one position were you can’t rush a prospect it’s a goalie and since Gainey is notorious for not rushing younger guys, which is the smart thing to do, we won’t see Price wearing the CH for 3-4 years at least.

And Danis is the backup in Hamilton now. Halak has taken over and is the best goalie in the AHL right now AND is 5 years younger then Danis so I’d call him up first.

As for Chipchura, we won’t see him except in spot duty till he’s 22-23 like they did with Plekanec/Higgins/Perezhogin but the older Kotstitsyn we might see as early as next season if a spot or 2 opens up on the wings.

5. In my opinion, I think Carey Price is only a commodity for the HABS and will be used for a transaction more then anything else.

The only reason why he’s a HABS prospect was the fact that he was the best player available when we picked fifth last year. If you guys look into the team’s players, we don’t exactly lack goalies.

I wouldn’t be surprise if Price is part of a trade later this season for that dreaded second line power forward we’ve been looking forever, especially if he does well in the tournament and we do well in the latter part of the season

6. #6 hab heaven says:
    December 26, 2006 at 11:10 pm

there’s no way the habs are parting with price. he’s the best goalie in juniors, and you think we’ll give him up? this is a no brainer.we’ll trade samsonov, Kovalev or Ryder before we part with a star goalie in the making. we’re keeping our young players. Gainey won’t make that same mistake that his predecessors (Savard, Houle) made.

7. Price won’t be an exchange choice until he make the NHL. We won’t really get anything for him, you never know what can happens with young guys in the new nhl.

We have
    Huet : 31 years old, he won’t play forever
    Aebischer : probably won’t stay here another year
    Danis : waiting for a nhl spot, but might play as substitute to Huet or get the same treatment Biron got
    Halak : Still young, can’t really know what will happens
    Lacasse and Lindberg : I have no information on those, witch mean not impressive for now.

So we don’t have other big prospect in the Goal position. And we will really need good ones in the future, just like we gonna need nice playmaker in front. You need players from the organization to go high in the season and in playoff.

BTW : Is it me or there is never anything on the Habs on NHL website. The only articles I see the word, montreal, habs or canadien, is when the article talk globally on the teams or articles coming from official Canadian website. They never anounce a hab game etc… (For this I understand cause doesn’t need marketing like other teams need). But why no article on Huet when he was 1st overall in the league ? Last year he won the BILL MASTERTON TROPHY and is on the way to reproduce the same thing. I wonder if there is going to be an article if the Habs pass Bufallo ?

8. #8 stevejur says:
    December 27, 2006 at 3:10 am

No way Price will get moved. Are you Kidding me?
    The only way Price gets moved is if I hear the names Kopitar, Malkin, Lecalvier, Marleau, Bergeron or Richards.
    If these players are not part of a package (for the second line center we need) all you’ll hear on
    the other line is “CLICK”.

9. #9 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    December 27, 2006 at 10:58 am

I agree we should not trade the likes of Price a possible future Superstar. Montreal has demonstrated that one of the Most important aspects of hockey is who is sitting between the pipes! (Dryden, Roy) Habs#1- you are right I have jumped the gun with moving Price to the NHL, but I am a little anxieous to see Montreals young talent play. Pittsburgh is an example of a team that has given young talent a chance and they have developed into stars of the game. Granted they do not have a defence or a goalie the Habs possess and are not winning games, but I am not saying dump half the team… only add or subtract a few players to complement such as the move made with Lapeirre. He brought a much needed size and determination to the fourth line which he seemed to spark some chemistry. These surprizing moves, finding these hidden gems, is what will move the Habs to within reach of the Cup.

10. #10 smiler2729 says:
    December 27, 2006 at 10:57 pm

There’ll be no trading of anybody anytime this year… the chemistry is too good. Live with this team, die with this team.

11. #11 Rubberman says:
    December 27, 2006 at 11:37 pm

I agree with smiler2729. There’s something clicking now and it looks like the Habs are playing for each other. Yes, there are still the puck hogs and stupid moves (e.g. complaining about a bad call to the pt where you get another 2 minutes, etc…). Overall, I wouldn’t make any moves unless it’s right for the team. It looks like the HAbs are in the driver’s seat. Go Habs Go. On another note, I’ve always answered back to anti-Habs fans when they knocked/poked fun at the “Canadiens” with the famous, at least they won a cup every decade. Did your team (Leafs, Bruins, Islanders (yeah, this is going back to the ’80s)?. So, in my eyes, we still have 3 yrs to do so. Pressure’s on. PLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE BRINGGGGGG THE CUP HOME!!!

12. Can I put in a request to have a better picture of Kovalev on the top of this blog…it scares the cr@# out of me…even if it’s only for a moment. May I suggest Huet’s instead. Thanks a million. By the way, this is the type of game they should have played versus the Bruins with the exception of the giving up of the pp goals. That’s why Huet had a good game but not a great game….and tonight he had a great game. Some of the offensive power is coming from different sources…there’s the lack of consistency. Still take the wins….so far so good.

By the way, I think the guy from the chevy contest was robbed as a puck that had gone in actually deflected a without a doubt goal. Interesting as a replay was not shown or a one by one analysis provided where the fans could judge on their own. Smells fishy…..Yeah,……..some of you will say who cares he won the truck…but it’s the principle of the matter…you get it!

Go Habs Go!

13. #13 habs phan says:
    December 28, 2006 at 2:48 am

i have a crazy idea, maybe it’s just me but it seems like kovalev takes the most absurd penealties at the worst time. i know he is a well rounded player, and he can certainly put the puck in the net. but everytime i see him lose his temper and cost our team or take a stupid penalty at the wrong time i have to ask myself “is this all worth it?” my proposal is trade him for koivu!!! get the brothers together and let’s create some real magic!!! like i said, maybe i’m dreaming. and i certainly realize kovalev’s contribution to our team. but when is enough, enough??? go habs go.

14. #14 smiler2729 says:
    December 28, 2006 at 8:02 am

Kovalev’s fine. Like I said, no trading, not even potential UFAs. Any holes we have can be plugged in by calling up farmhands. As for anti-Habs idiots, the best comeback for the moronic Leaf fans is “at least I’ve seen my team win the Cup in colour… a lot!” This team is starting to get noticed too with Mike Keenan on TSN picking them as one of his 5 Stanley Cup favourites and Carbo getting the most votes in the TSN poll of who should be coach of the year. The thing with getting noticed is the more attention they get, the more other teams gun for you and quit taking you lightly. I preferred flying under the radar and surprizing the shit out of every team we played. Oh well, such is the price of success.
    Let’s we win the Cup this year cuz it looks like it may be the last year of a semi normal NHL. Next year, with the modern sweater redesign for every team and the crying for bigger nets, I think I’ll have to bow out of being an NHL fan. The salary cap has taken trades out of the game, fighting is infrequent and staged, I hate the shootout, the idiotic conference/division leader standing seeding, the stupid schedule and every ridiculous thing Gary Bettman’s ever done. I see 4 quarter games and 2 point goals from outside the blueline coming too. Is nothing sacred to this guy??? He brought in a fucking glowing puck 10 years ago, remember?

15. #15 25_in_2007 says:
    December 28, 2006 at 11:56 am

Getting back to the topic at hand, it has to be remembered that it’s difficult to judge a goalies talent in the world juniors especially when they play for a strong defensive team like Canada. People who are getting excited now over Price are overlooking the fact that we have more of a realistic shot of attaining the cup this year than we have had in a decade. Lets get excited about the solid play we have seen today, rather than looking at the future and what we should do, because there is no way Price will be between the posts any time soon. A loser says ‘next year,’ I’m excited to say ‘this year’ for once. As for the discussions about Kovalev; he has proven to find another gear in the playoffs and hopefully this year he can find a couple more to help the second line shine when it really counts.

16. It was funny to listin to mister Leafs kiss ass Darren Dreger last night. He refuses to give Carbonneau or the Habs any credit. Mike Keenan, a guy who’s probably forgotten more about hockey then Dreger will ever know says Carbs should be a lock for the Jack Adams trophy, but Dregers not sure. What an Idiot. I’m surprised he didn’t have the Leafs in his group of cup contenders. But Keenan did which was pretty smart of him.

The Habs have the best checking line in the NHL bar none. They’re the only teams in the league that have been able to shut down Ovechkin AND Crosby. Whoever the other teams top line is should just consider them neutralized from now on.

And the Habs still get no respect. They’re the best Canadien team this year by a country mile, they’re probably one of the only three cup contenders in the East along with Buffalo and Atlanta(maybe Jersey if Brodeur get’s really hot), buy no one gives them any respect. But I’m sure the Habs are fine with that cause they’ll just continue to roll over people leaving them scratching they’re heads wondering what just happened.

Boy does Downey have sweet hands or what! And while it showed he has guts did he have to challenge Brashear to a fight? That was a middleweight going up against one of the top 5 heavyweights in the league(Laraque, Boogard, Parros, Brashear and McGrattan) and it showed. He got pummuled.

17. I screwed up on the Keenan cup contenders thing. I ment to say he had the Habs on his list. Don’t want him to seem like an idiot by saying he had the Leafs on his list.