Coaching

• What do the following three have in common?

• Alain Vigneault
    • Michel Therrien
    • Claude Julien

If you’ve followed the Canadiens, it’s obvious that they are all former coaches.

What else do they have in common? How about a combined 129-67-24 record this year for a total of 282 points. 94 each on average, with games to play.

Each team in the hunt for their division title, and not a far cry from challenging for their Conference.

Each of these coaches have been tossed aside by Montreal in recent years.
    Were they let go too soon?

You can argue it’s easier to coach in another city, or those teams are so much superior to the Canadiens. Are they?

The fact remains Montreal chews up and spits out coaches on a regular basis and it hasn’t provided results that are anything but mediocre in the past 14 years.

Nearing the All Star break Guy Carbonneau was getting ‘talked about’ for coach of the year. Fast forward to now, and there are people calling for his head.

So will Carbo get the time it takes to develop as a coach in the NHL? Or will he be another booted to the curb to go on and coach another NHL team into the playoffs?

Right now there’s a fairly good chance one of those Coaches could hoist the Cup in June. They must be doing something right.

March 22, 2007 at 8:33 pm

Lapiere was to blame on that second goal.Hey what do you know he is one of our young guns.We cant blame him he is french.

2. #2 Joshtm says:
    March 22, 2007 at 8:41 pm

Ninnima is back to his old ways! Honestly. Time to send him to the Dogs!

3. #3 Joshtm says:
    March 22, 2007 at 8:46 pm

Hey Pactum get it right, even the TSN and other news channels all show Ninnima as the one to blame. Good try though. The most we can blame the rookies for is, hey get this, that we even have the hope of a playoff spot! Honestly Pactum, rewind your TIVO and you’ll see!

4. #4 R habs 4 real says:
    March 22, 2007 at 8:49 pm

HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR PIECE OF SHIT HABS? NO SHOW! NO HEART! NO EFFORT! NO DEFENCE! PATHETIC TEAM!

5. #5 R habs 4 real says:
    March 22, 2007 at 8:56 pm

How does a team play so rotten? How ? How? I don’t understand them? Why don’t they want to play? Why don’t they skate? Why don’t they try? Why not?

6. There doing the best with what they have ,after all if it wasn’t for the young guy’s they wouldn’t even be in the hunt,you can only go to the well so many times,eh.If all was well with the Habs ,the only rookie playing would be Lats.

7. #7 DIE_HARD_HABS_FANd says:
    March 22, 2007 at 9:13 pm

R habs 4 real: I agree with you 100% with your post #50 & 56.

You can’t blame Halak tonight. He has no help from his D-Men. The Habs honestly do not wnat to make the playoffs. They have no desire what so ever to win.

I was wrong with my reply in the other blog. I hate to say it But it is game over for the Habs after tonight.

8. WIN OR LOSE,the 3rd is going to be great hockey so surround yourself with the beers cause your not going to want to miss a second of it .

9. #9 R habs 4 real says:
    March 22, 2007 at 9:21 pm

All the other contending teams are playing their guts out, and the habs could care less! They’re playing like they have been for the past 3 months!
    And talk about NO DEFENCE? Their defence tonight(or lack of), is THE WORST I HAVE SEEN ALL YEAR! THEY JUST CONTINUALLY COUGH UP THE PUCK! I wish we could trade the entire team! Koivu a leader? What a joke! Do you think a leader would let his team play without effort or desire or heart? They’re a joke!

10. #10 nigelski says:
    March 22, 2007 at 9:43 pm

Dhirka–Dirkha–jihad–jihad!!

11. #11 nigelski says:
    March 22, 2007 at 9:44 pm

La-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-laPierre!!!!!!!!

12. #12 R habs 4 real says:
    March 22, 2007 at 9:47 pm

They finally listened to my pep talk, right? Thank God!

13. #13 nigelski says:
    March 22, 2007 at 9:58 pm

TAKE THAT TIM THOMAS, YOU SORRY SACK OF SHIT!!!!!!!~!!!!!!!!

14. #14 nigelski says:
    March 22, 2007 at 9:59 pm

I SAY…TAKE THOMAS OUT…
    iKNOW I WONT BE LEAVIN HERE….

15. #15 nigelski says:
    March 22, 2007 at 10:03 pm

THESE HABS ARE OUT OF CONTROL’
    GOTTA BURN THESE BRUINS, BURN THESE BRUINS…

16. #16 softouch says:
    March 22, 2007 at 10:06 pm

Post # 23 is pretty welll right on … Didn’t have time to read the entire thread, but if anybody thinks Gainey is not here for the long term, they do not understand the situation nor the game, and though Carbo is the biggest reason the Habs are in tough shape (but not out yet) at this point, he will be here for a few years … and (my opinion), Kovalev will be back as well … and unfortunately Souray will not …

17. #17 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    March 22, 2007 at 10:08 pm

I admit it I have egg on my face.

18. #18 nigelski says:
    March 22, 2007 at 10:08 pm

LANTENDRESSE TAKIN OVER KOVALEV FOR YOU,

LANTENDRESSESE, LANTENDRESSE, LANTENDRESSE…

19. #19 R habs 4 real says:
    March 22, 2007 at 10:13 pm

Guys, until the end of the 2nd period, we looked like death! the goal near the end of the 2nd gave us a lift, and some momentum. But anyone who watched on TSN, knows the BRUINS are the worst team in the NHL ,in3rd periods, this season. So, they helped our cause. But the bottom line is, we can’t start off games like this. For almost 2 periods there wasn’t any effort. You know how we talk about them not playing for 60 minutes. well, they were very lucky tonight. Against a better team, it would have been light out and a loss for us, so count your blessings!

20. #20 nigelski says:
    March 22, 2007 at 10:14 pm

Not rewarding the hard-working Bonk? Are you on crack, Joshtm? Out of three years, Bonk worked for one. Typical European…

21. #21 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    March 22, 2007 at 10:15 pm

It was lookin good for Washington for a while to night but the canes, the lucky bastards won.

Pittsburgh can’t beat NYI’s but they beat everyone else. For F_ck sakes.

Can’t any other team help us out a little?

22. #22 nigelski says:
    March 22, 2007 at 10:20 pm

the crapitals are done come Saturday. True story…Looks like a couple guys crawled us to a victory…

23. #23 R habs 4 real says:
    March 22, 2007 at 10:21 pm

Has anyone noticed how lousy Pitt and NJ are playing lately? I think they both have lost 3 in a row. I wish they would help us out. But I think Buffalo will help tomorrow and Saturday vs leafs. If only Carolina, NYR, and NYI would lose.

24. #24 joburg says:
    March 22, 2007 at 10:32 pm

at this time of the year a teams best players–have to be their best players !!
    so we can see that Kovalev and Samsonov…are both nothing more than a worthless piece of shit !!!
    They are both an absolute disgrace to the CH.

I think we are still going to need to have help however to make this happen,
    we will see….

25. #25 nigelski says:
    March 22, 2007 at 10:38 pm

Buffalo 2 wins, leafs 0…excellent!

26. #26 Joshtm says:
    March 22, 2007 at 10:41 pm

Hey Nigelski, Bonk is one of the lowest paid habs yet he delivers game in and game out, I have never crapped on Bonk on this blog, in fact I have wondered why Gainey pays someone like Dandenault an outrageous salary, yet someone like Bonk who has showed up all year long game in and game out….

I think it is time to retire the old vets, retire the vets, Johnson, Kovalev, Samsonov, yes I said Johnson even though he wasn’t totally plastered tonite he only managed to fall down a few times, Gainey musta found his stash of booze…

Looks like the rookies helped out yet one more time. Chara was muscling but where the hell were the vets? Crumbling under Chara, it wasn’t until Lapierre started hitting back that Chara backed off.

Clearly Montreal needs muscle. If Bouillon was supposed to be the muscle even Bouilly buckled…

But isn’t it sad that Gainey still has not called up Grabby or Milroy? What he doesn’t wanna win a cup or what?

27. #27 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    March 22, 2007 at 10:41 pm

Halak was good tonight. The first goal was iffy but the others he had no chance on. Halak kept the Habs in the game.

Good Job Kid. Keep it up.

Like I said before, most of the goals scored on Halak over the games he played were not his fault.

To tell you the truth all the games they lost with Halak in net, if the D-Men would have helped him out they would have won those games and have a playoff birth wrapped up.

“IF” is the most powerful word in the World. But that is the way the cookie crumbles right.

28. #28 Joshtm says:
    March 22, 2007 at 10:58 pm

Dipietro will have his day I am sure, he is gonna pull blanks like he has done all year. Like he has done before. That should help Montreal. Now if only Koivu and Kovalev won’t pull prima donna hissy fits and jinx the winning streak, and if only Gainey would bring up at least one or two big rookies to savave the sabres…

29. #29 nigelski says:
    March 22, 2007 at 11:04 pm

Bonk’s salary is over $2 million/year…and the only reason it is at that price is the 25% rollback, Joshtm. Remember that? He used to make over $3 mil. Sound Familiar? Bonk has played well this year, but, he IS euro, and it is a contract year. And OH YEAH, he’s playin’ for a reduced salary of $2 394 000, even after the 25% reduction. Yeah, what a steal. Johnson, your boy, @ 1 900 000, but that so called stud ? Bonk @ $2 394 000. While Johnson is crawlin’, and Samsontiff is cryin’, Bonk is quietly stealin’. You may have forgotten the salary dump that was Bonk in the Garon-Huet deal, I certainly have not. Sure, Bonk has played ok this season…OK. Not a star, by any means. He did nothing to merit his salary in previous seasons.

30. #30 habs phan says:
    March 22, 2007 at 11:08 pm

HIGGINS that’s all!!!!!!

31. #31 nigelski says:
    March 22, 2007 at 11:10 pm

I’m impressed Joshtm. Somehow, you have managed to defend Bonk 23 minutes before I even critiqued him. Super power?

32. #32 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    March 22, 2007 at 11:12 pm

Can you smell it? It’s the smell of Bear fryin in da pan. We cooked them 2 in a row. The meat is sweeter and tastier tonight than Tuesday.

Lets enjoy this win guys, cause Sat. is another big game. The Caps showed that they can beat the big teams. So we will have our work cut out for us.

33. #33 Joshtm says:
    March 22, 2007 at 11:12 pm

I guess Nigelski forgets who it was that helped us scrape and crawl our way outta the slump, it sure wasn’t the highest paid hab, Koivu, or that other highly paid Sherbrooke native, wallflower dandynuts…it was Pleks and Bonk my friend. At least Bonk played for his money and was worth the trade. Big difference to that backstroke champion of the ice, someone forgot to tell Johnson he gets paid to skate and score, not crawl and crumble. Its sad when a vet like Johnson needs a smaller Lapierre to look after him, isn’t that just sad? Oh yah, guess what Halak just happens to be a guess what, yes, that’s right…not canadian!!!

But hey its the real canadians on this canadiens team that are pulling us out, I am not talking about the vets, I am talking about the rookies!

34. #34 nigelski says:
    March 22, 2007 at 11:18 pm

I forget nothing. Bonk has done the Euro contract stroke by playing in the final year of his. Time to steal another 2 out of 3 salary years. And Johnson quit drinking in Toronto, so I hear.

35. #35 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    March 22, 2007 at 11:19 pm

Joshtm Dude. Give it a F_ckin rest. You are like a broken record. The same shit you type with every reply. Brother it is getting very old. Take a break from here until you actually have something intelligent to say. You are getting on everybody’s nerves. Let it rest.

36. #36 nigelski says:
    March 22, 2007 at 11:19 pm

But you are correct, the rookies have been getting it done.

37. #37 nigelski says:
    March 22, 2007 at 11:22 pm

No, don’t go Joshtm. I truly get a good chuckle out of your rants…

38. #38 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    March 22, 2007 at 11:23 pm

People please don’t reply to Joshtm’s silly and useless comments. He is just feeding off of that.

I don’t want to start anything with you Joshtm but you are anoying Dude.

39. #39 Joshtm says:
    March 22, 2007 at 11:26 pm

What’s wrong DieHard, did the door hit you on the way out? Don’t forget to flush the toilet, cause the shit sure stinks there DieHard! Jump offa any flaming buildings lately? YippieKyeYaieeee~!!!!!

Too bad you don’t have nothing good to say, you are definitely getting on everyone’s nerves, what with your broken record! Give it a rest won’t you?

Like as if DieHard has any constructive things to bring to the table here.

It’s about time we acknowledge the hard work of the rookies and give crumbling vets like Johnson the boot, cause hey, guess what, this is not the laffs!! I know some of you were licking your chops wishing the habs would die, but guess what, its the habs and they are gonna fight hard if only to be eliminated in the first round at least. At least they’ll make an appearance in the playoffs unlike the laffs!!! Thanks to the rookies of course!

40. #40 R habs 4 real says:
    March 22, 2007 at 11:27 pm

KOVALEV was on the ice for ALL THE BOSTON GOALS! Why do we play him? He’s more of a hindrance than a help! He’s totally USELESS!
    And why was GEORGES scratched? Ninnimaa was directly responsible for 1 bruins goal. GEORGES should play instead of Ninnimaa and Dandenault should NEVER play again for us, after this season!

March 22, 2007 at 11:31 pm

Whatever we won 6 – 3

Cry all you like about Kovy he is a great player and had a fantastic game on Tuesday 4 or 5 good chances ….

42. #42 nigelski says:
    March 23, 2007 at 6:55 am

I was out drinking and only caught the third period. Well, sometimes ya gotta do it, and it’s not like they play hab games in Toronto @ the bars too often–unless they are playing the leafs. Apparently, we didn’t do much in the first 2, so I don’t feel like I missed much.

Still, the comeback was reminiscent of how we played until x-mas. We wereen’t outworking too many teams then, either, but we seemed to have another gear that we could unleash at will. We buried pretty much all our chances then, and it was like that in the third. True, the flopping baby seal that is Tim Thomas got clubbed on a couple of those goals, and as a member of the Colbert nation, it was good to see us defeat the bears two in a row.

Now if we can crush Washington, our confidence should be in good shape for next week’s far tougher sked. Gotta go, but I’ll weigh in later with some heavy-handed opining.

43. #43 fan4066 says:
    March 23, 2007 at 7:28 am

If the Habs can play like this through the rest of the season,grab 8th and get their shit together like at the first of the year, we could do some damage.

I didn’t get to see the game. How did Halak play last night? Was he “solid” in the net….make any outstanding saves, playoff calibre saves? If he can eleveate his game in time for the playoffs, it could carry us for a spell

44. #44 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    March 23, 2007 at 8:28 am

Halak played good. No oustanding saves, but good saves. He kept them in the game. The first goal was IFFY but the other two he had no chance on.

If the D-men would have helped him out out from the first game that Halak played and lost, we would have a playoff birth wrapped up now. We should have won the games that Halak lost. I don’t blame on loss on Halak. I blame it on the D-men.

45. #45 fan4066 says:
    March 23, 2007 at 8:37 am

I totally agree, I find that their defence is not towing to line like they should. It’s kinda funny ya know, my son plays hockey, and he’s a D-man. I teach him as much as I can, considering I used to be a goalie when I once played. I show him what he needs to develop, I show him how to cut the man down on the wing, and especially clearing the puck from in front of the net!! All the thing the Montreal’s D-men don’t do half the time….that really cracks me up!

46. #46 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    March 23, 2007 at 10:15 am

We know how much money the players make per year. BUT How much do the coaches make ??? Do they make the big bucks? how do their contracts go? It seems that they can be let go in the middle of the season, basically at any time. I’ve always wondered that.

47. #47 fan4066 says:
    March 23, 2007 at 10:31 am

It seems there are a select few that make big buck. I believe that Scotty Bowman was one of those big bucks guys, not positive on the amount, but I thnk it was around $1 million. Jacques Lemaire, and Marc Crawford are making around that as well…give or take. Most of them make around 400,000-600,000/ season. Far cry from the players for sure

48. #48 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    March 23, 2007 at 10:48 am

That still is excellent pay for pacing back and forth. But they have the most stress on the team.

The equipment manager must get around the &60,000.00 mark. They work very hard taking care of over 20 guys sweaty equipment.

When you see the players getting off the bus etc. they never are seen carring their own equipment.

It must be very tough being a professional sports player….LOL. Making millions of dollars…….

49. #49 smiler2729 says:
    March 23, 2007 at 11:51 am

Pat Burns quit and took his 4 year act to Toronto in ’92. I liked Burnsie but he was a boring coach preferring the dull defense first wins games mantra. His rookie year, the Habs went to the Finals and lost to the Flames in 6 games, his rookie mistake, running the troops through a hard long practice before Game 6 when the battle weary needed rest… His other legacy is not wanting Claude Lemieux on the team so he was traded for… wait, yup, Sylvain Turgeon who he also wasted. Curious, the Habs won the Cup the year after Burns left with pretty much the same roster under Jacques Demers. Coincidence?
    Burns lasted 4 years in Toronto til they tuned him out and a turn in Boston where they tuned him out. When New Jersey hired him, it was a match made in heaven and I’m glad he won his Cup but he was the wrong coach for Montreal.

I hated Mario Tremblay, I thought he was a bush player and he turned out to be an even worse coach preferring to battle egos with the team’s superstar goalie (Roy) who he was determined to humble. Throw a yes-man GM in Reggie Houle and Roy got traded with then captain Mike Keane for absolutely nothing (puhleez, Rucinsky, Kovalenko and Thibault??? We shoulda got Sakic or Forsberg for someone of Roy’s superstar stature).

I like Vigneault but again, the inept Houle saddled him with absolutely nothing (remember Rucinky’s team leading 17 goals in ’99? Or Sergei Zholtok’s 26 the next season?) Houle traded away talent for retreads sending the likes of Pierre Turgeon and Mark Recchi away and bringing in Shayne Corson, Stephane Richer and Dainus Zubrus!

Therrien was a sparkplug and had he not made the bad decision in the Hurricanes playoff series by garneing himself a stupid bench penalty, things may have turned out better for him but, alas, his players tuned him out the following season.

Julien was a good man in the wrong place, the unfortunate position of being the previous GM’s choice for coach when Bob Gainey came in. Again, like Burns, New Jersey is perfect for him where 2-1 victories are considered exciting.

As for Carbo, I say give him time because I’m sick of our coaches getting fired too soon and succeeding elsewhere.

50. Earlier in the year when I was posting as Xhabsfan,you know during the winning streak with the old guys,just before Lapierre was inserted and got his first 4 goals,I had mentioned my big time doubts that the old ,undersized and overpaid Habs were about to crumble like cookies,and boy did I hit the nail on the head to the chagrin of the majority of the posters on the old Habs Blog. I did not contrive those viewpoints for arguments sake nor to nourish my ego,I just stated the fact as I had seen them through my post, stating that since the budget was blown it simply was Bull-dog time , which almost wasn’t going to happen but for the Habs flu scenario . Thanks to that freak of nature ,we have a new Habs team ,a new soul ,and a new direction,and a new beginning,…thank-you hockey Gods…thank-you!!!So say good-bye to the old and hello to the new,or as the British would say,”the King is dead,God save the King.” Now ,as for the Hab fans, please continue to demand changes to this team in regards to :1)Size 2)Defence 3)Youth movement 4)The resigning of our Hab superstar and leader Souray,as well as Markov 5)Acquiring the rite UFA’S ,WHO DREAM OF PLAYING FOR THE ONLY HOCKEY TEAM THAT TRULY MATTERS!!! So support the new guy’s and lets get rid of half our vets ,with our thanks and good will to there new journeys and let have more of this want of winning,cause that’s what it’s all about baby,oh yeah!!!