Coaching

• What do the following three have in common?

• Alain Vigneault
    • Michel Therrien
    • Claude Julien

If you’ve followed the Canadiens, it’s obvious that they are all former coaches.

What else do they have in common? How about a combined 129-67-24 record this year for a total of 282 points. 94 each on average, with games to play.

Each team in the hunt for their division title, and not a far cry from challenging for their Conference.

Each of these coaches have been tossed aside by Montreal in recent years.
    Were they let go too soon?

You can argue it’s easier to coach in another city, or those teams are so much superior to the Canadiens. Are they?

The fact remains Montreal chews up and spits out coaches on a regular basis and it hasn’t provided results that are anything but mediocre in the past 14 years.

Nearing the All Star break Guy Carbonneau was getting ‘talked about’ for coach of the year. Fast forward to now, and there are people calling for his head.

So will Carbo get the time it takes to develop as a coach in the NHL? Or will he be another booted to the curb to go on and coach another NHL team into the playoffs?

Right now there’s a fairly good chance one of those Coaches could hoist the Cup in June. They must be doing something right.

1. #1 Higgy21 says:
    March 23, 2007 at 12:27 pm

None of those coahes have anything on Mario Trembley.

2. #2 nigelski says:
    March 23, 2007 at 1:22 pm

Tremblay is a reclaimation project right now, with Lemaire trying to teach him the ropes. Lucky to get another coaching job, even as assisstant coach. The team should have known better than to hire him, but Houle was far from a genius. The team basically said,”Ok, Mario–you talk the talk, let’s see if you can walk the walk.” He had no coaching experience, and it showed, not just with the Roy incident, but by breaking up the top line of turgeon-recchi-savage, that was at that point, one of the best in the league(for a month and a half anyhow). It seemed to really shatter Savage’s confidence, and he never was much use after that, except in October…

3. #3 HAB-DAB-A-DO says:
    March 23, 2007 at 2:19 pm

How many points does everyone think Montreal will have after Saturday compared to Toronto?

4. #4 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    March 23, 2007 at 3:29 pm

More points than them I hope.

We need some added help this weekend.

We need Buffalo to stampede over the Leafs………….

We need the Flyers to fly pass the NYI’s……………..

We need the Sharks to eat the Canes …………….

We need the Bruins to put a bear hug on the Rangers………………..(but do you think that they will help our cause after we kicked their asses all over “Bean Town” last night…)

If all of the above pan out and Our Habs Win As Well……………….We Will Be OK…………….

A pretty tall order to fill eh……………….

5. #5 nigelski says:
    March 23, 2007 at 9:04 pm

Many things have to go right for us to get in the post-season. Maybe too many things. If that is the case, the team has no one else to blame. Since the last losing streak, not all that long ago, the boys have been doing a lot of things I like to see my team do, but there is still some work needed.

I’d like to see a change in philosophy for next season, with more of a premium on offence, and notably, the pressure game. Too many nights the habs seemed to get out-muscled in the corners and along the boards, and too often they sit back and wait for opportunities instead of trying to create chances.

I’d like to see a high octane, strong forecheck; a team that comes at their opponents hard every game. A team that attacks in waves, like Buffalo. A team that utilizes the speed of some of its players, guys like Kostitsyn.

That being said, I look forward to seeing Plekanec-Higgins-Kostitsyn as a line for us next season, assuming Guy doesn’t split them up every 2nd shift. They’ve started to show some chemistry the last bunch of games, and we could be watching a preview of next season’s #1 line as this season dwindles away. I had previously believed Higgins should be kept with Ryder and Koivu, but the last few, I’ve begun to see Higgins be able to mesh with Pleks and Kosy.

The Lapierre-Lantendresse-Kovalev line hasn’t looked too bad either, As the two youngsters are currently picking up Kovalev’s slack out there. It’s a lot to pick up, but it has seemed to me that he is better positioned to do something offensive when those two are bangin’ and doin’ the grunt work, as it were.

The other 2 lines are a work in progress, still. Finding someone to ignite the Koivu-Ryder duo should be a project, and there is no telling what the other line will look like, as both Johnson and Bonk could walk. That said, Souray, Markov and Ninnimma could all leave the team July 1st also, though Ninnimma won’t be missed.

If Gainey can’t get the job done this summer, it should cost his job. Like many of you, I am sick of the talk of UFAs not wanting to come here, though it is somewhat of a reality. The holes are there to be filled, and if he can’t fill them, someone should fill in for him.

6. #6 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    March 23, 2007 at 9:51 pm

For F_cks sake, can’t any team f_ckin help us out?

Buffalo is playing like the Habs tonight. This team is #1 and they can’t beat the Laffs, come on this is a f_ckin joke.

7. #7 R habs 4 real says:
    March 23, 2007 at 9:54 pm

I don’t see the habs making the playoffs. NYR too strong and playing great D, and having also that VERY IMPORTANT GAME IN HAND. Leafs are beating Buffalo in Buffalo,which is very bad for us. Those games in hand by other teams, WILL BE THE REASON WE DON’T GET IN! Oh well, there’s always next year.

8. #8 R habs 4 real says:
    March 23, 2007 at 10:07 pm

Leafs are beating the crap out of Buffalo, in Buffalo! They’re up 4-1. Now I am depressed! I think it is really really over for us. All those NO SHOWS by habs in DEc, Jan, Feb, KILLERS! Cost us the playoffs.

9. #9 R habs 4 real says:
    March 23, 2007 at 10:25 pm

Guess what? Buffalo just tied the game 4 all! Amazing.

10. #10 R habs 4 real says:
    March 23, 2007 at 10:26 pm

Buffalo now ahead 5-4. Toronto looks like Boston in the 3rd period last night.

11. #11 R habs 4 real says:
    March 23, 2007 at 10:40 pm

Buffalo won. What an amazing comeback! Just like the habs last night. Devastating loss for leafs. They had the game in the bag, leading 4-1 with about 14 minutes to go in the 3rd period. I think this will be the game that cost leafs chance to make the playoffs. I think leafs will be so emotionally down, that they will lose the 2nd game vs buffalo tomorrow in Toronto. Thanks Buffalo! Hey guys, did you like by play by play of the 3rd period?

12. #12 habs phan says:
    March 23, 2007 at 11:02 pm

is there a sabres blog that i can go to??? i have a major thank you for them!!!

13. #13 HABMAN says:
    March 23, 2007 at 11:05 pm

Beauty, couldn’t have said it any better. THANK YOU BUFFALO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. #14 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    March 23, 2007 at 11:28 pm

Finnaly. Some done us a favor. Thanks Sabres.

15. HA HA HA ,Toronto MaplePricks must have the longest losing streak in Pro Sports,as Don Cherry would say ,way ta go !!! Harold Ballard sleeps well tonite .ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha …………..

16. Oh, one more thing,yo Sabers,ya you Buffalo farts,you are going to get your handed to you on the 31st,ladies,so go fu@k-yourselves as preparation for what the Habs are going to do to you!!!!

17. #17 stevejur says:
    March 24, 2007 at 2:38 am

HEY GUYS LISTEN TO SOME OF THESE LEAF LOSERS. I COPIED SOME OF THEIR COMMENTS FROM TSN.
    THESE GUYS ARE PATHETIC, YOU’LL GET A GOOD LAUGH OUTTA THESE:

1. I really question myself, why am I a Leafs fan…….disappointed yet again! This loss tonight makes me sick. Does Maurice really know what he is doing? A time out is a must in a situation like that. Raycroft is aweful!! Lets deal with the fact that the next 3 years with Raycroft, the Leafs are going nowhere……..Lets go Jays!!!!!!!!!

2. They lost to Montreal last year in back to back games and missed the playoffs. Is this deja vu for the leafs?

3. Tap..tap..tap.. the sound of nails being hammered in the Leaf coffin. Playoff race is too tight for any team to blow 3 goal leads in the 3rd period..especially if you are outside looking in. The Buds might bring up their Russian prospect Tee-n-off sooner than expected.

GO HABS GO SUCKERS!

18. #18 nigelski says:
    March 24, 2007 at 8:40 am

The one guy is right; Raycroft is awful. He’s played in too many games this year, as Maurice seems to have no confidence in JS Aubin. Who would? Raycrofts #s are the worst amoung solidly ensconced starting goaltenders. We should be thankful for that; I know I am. I watched part of the game too and it was looking like a toronto blowout, but the sabres showed their 3rd gear in the 3rd, skating by leafs like pylons, and scoring a couple weak ones on Raycroft…

The irony, if you think about the Leafs-Sens rivalry, is that both team calls their #1 goalie Razor. The thing is, if you’re careful, a razor can give you a close shave, and most ladies love that. But if you’re careless, it’ll cut your throat. Playning andrew razor 71 games in a season is a sure way to cut your own throat. Ha HAA.

I hope they lose tonight as well. Living in TO as i do, i’ve had to put up with some flak the last month or so as the habs slid. Nothing i can’t handle, of course, as the average leaf fan is as intelligent as wallpaper, but even a cloud of buzzing insects can get on your nerves after a while. Hopefully, Buffalo is to the leafs this year, as we were to the leafs playoff hopes last year–and that is the death of dreams.

19. #19 smiler2729 says:
    March 24, 2007 at 9:10 am

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I know it’s sick and twisted but I actually get a bigger kick out of the Leafs losing than I do the Habs winning… I’m 42, man, I’ve seen my glorious Habs win the Cup, a lot! But having to live in Ontario now with these stupid Leaf fans have given me a real hate-on for that team ! Thank you Buffalo for making “After The Horn” and “Leaf Talk” a real treat tonight!

I love the Habs but my second favourite team (whoever plays the Leafs) sure are fun to watch some nights too!

Montreal 5, Washington 3

20. #20 nigelski says:
    March 24, 2007 at 9:20 am

Olag Koldsieve is back, and the Crapitals are again playing fairly well, so it’s important to get on them early and often. I live in TO myself, smiler, and couldn’t agree with you more. My hatred for all things Leafs is an untrammeled, hardcore thing. Good thing they have their own abescher in raycroft. Normally, I could care less about the leafs, but the fact is they are right there with us, so we need to (gak!) root for Buffalo tonight.

Talk about borrowing from peter to pay paul. I despise the Sabres as well, and all things Buffalo, save for the chicken wings. Their commentator, he of the, “Maydays,” “La-la-la-lalafountaines,” etc is a true piece of human refuse, and I’d choke him out as soon as look at him. He makes the suffering at the hands of Ed Kilgore and his ilk(old Buffalo 29 sabres braodcasts, for those of you who are going, HUH?!?!) seem like fond childhood memories. Which, of course, they are not.

Joe Bowen is a sack of sh_t as well, with his overused and incredibly stupid,”Holy Mackinaw!” I know people are chomping at the bit to have Cole replaced, but be careful what you wish for, cause Blowen is his likely successor. And it’s icy cold barbed wire death for Bowen, as far as I’m concerned.

21. #21 Les Canadiens says:
    March 24, 2007 at 9:39 am

THE THREEE COACHES YOU TALKED ABOUT IN THE INTRO ALL HAVE SOMETHING THE CANADIENS DONT HAVE…A SUPERSTARS!! JULIEN HAS BRODEUR, VIGNEAULT HAS LUONGO AND THERRIEN HAS CROSBY, MALKIN, AND SO ON!! WE WOULD HAVE 94 POINTS TOO IF WE HAD THOSE FREAKIN GUYS!! MY SISTER CAN SIT BEHIND THE BENCH AND WIN W/ ANY OF THOSE GUYS TOO!!

22. #22 Les Canadiens says:
    March 24, 2007 at 9:40 am

THE THREEE COACHES YOU TALKED ABOUT IN THE INTRO ALL HAVE SOMETHING THE CANADIENS DONT HAVE…A SUPERSTARS!! JULIEN HAS BRODEUR, VIGNEAULT HAS LUONGO AND THERRIEN HAS CROSBY, MALKIN, AND SO ON!! WE WOULD HAVE 94 POINTS TOO IF WE HAD THOSE DAMN GUYS!! MY SISTER CAN SIT BEHIND THE BENCH AND WIN W/ ANY OF THOSE GUYS TOO!!

March 24, 2007 at 10:53 am

I agree les canadiens.To compare the habs to vancouver,pittsburg,new jersey is like to compare apples to oranges. GO HABS GO LETS KICK SOME CAPITAL ASS TONIGHT

24. #24 smiler2729 says:
    March 24, 2007 at 11:30 am

Joe Bowen’s good as an announcer cuz in all fairness to him he does get just as excited when calling an opposition team’s goal but yeah, I hate his total bias for anything Leaf from his “Holy Mackinaw” like you said to his near crying “bless you boys” after the Leafs beat Ottawa in the playoffs a couple of seasons ago. He can’t replace Bob Cole for that reason or there’d be a Canadian mutiny from coast to coast cuz NOT every Canadian is a Leaf fan as CBC and TSN would like to believe.

By the way, did anyone else notice TSN’s Sportcentre on Thursday after Montreal defeated Boston? In all their pro-Leaf glory, they forgot to add the Habs two points that night when they flashed their ‘updated’ Eastern standings so it looked like we were still tied with the Laffs. Idiots!

25. #25 nigelski says:
    March 24, 2007 at 11:45 am

I usually watch the score for my highlight package, but i did catch that. Because of march madness, and spring training, it’s just easier to turn to TSN at the top of the hour, because the hockey highlights are always top priority there. The score used to have a line that told you when the various sports highlights would be shown, but without that, I’m sitting there constantly watching highlights from sports I don’t have much interest in.

I was OK with poker on the sport channels when the lockout was going on, but isn’t it time that this “Sport” was removed from their line up? If there is anything more boring than poker on TV, I have yet to see it. Well, reality TV blows too. The people who order Survivor on Demand for 1.99/episode have to be the most retarded alive–tape it and watch it later, pylons!

Sorry, no relevance, but had to get it out of me before I exploded.

26. Talking about reality T.V.,don’t forget to mention Kenny vs Spenny. If you are not familiar with the show, IT’S ABOUT TWO LIFELONG LAFF FANS,who are eternally in competition with each other to find out who is the true loser .The one that loses has to watch Laff playoff action from the 40′s and50′s,heh heh!Ok,so that’s my version ,but I like it.Habs 5-Crapitals 1.Didn’t the Laff’s miss those playoff’s too??LOL

27. #27 R habs 4 real says:
    March 24, 2007 at 12:56 pm

Hey SMILER: Like you, I enjoy watching LEAFS TV(after the horn), only when the leafs LOSE. It was great last night. The fans complaining how bad Raycroft is,and the announcers(Vaive and Duff), actually saying Raycroft wasn’t too blame. Give me a break. But the truth is, leafs stopped playing, and the sabres speed killed them. Buffalo actually did not play or skate for 40 minutes. Yet Leaf biased announcers were saying how fantastic they were playing. Not the case. As soon as the sabres put it into high gear, it was all over for the leafs, who last night really looked like LAFFS! I know I had a good laff!
    But now forget those losers, and concentrate on les habs!
    We need some help from other teams, ie. Philly, SJ, and Boston, and of course for Buff to do another job on the laffs. The results of today’s games will give me an idea about the game tomorrow: NYI vs NYR. Someone has to win that game, but who? I guess it will depend on which NY team wins today or both.
    Anyways it feels right now like playoff hockey, just in case the habs don’t get in.

28. Thank you so much Buffalo for beating the Leafs last night. Now we need to find a way to win tonight and see what happens with the other teams we are battling for a playoff spot. Hopefully Buffalo can beat Toronto again tonight and hopefully Carolina can lose as well. I am not sure if some of you know, but we are only 4 points out of 6th in the conference, which belongs to Tampa Bay. If we play well the rest of the season and Tampa falters a bit, we might have a chance at 6th. I know I am probably looking ahead a bit but we have to look at the glass half full. Anyways Go Habs Go!!

Ziman

29. #29 nigelski says:
    March 24, 2007 at 1:24 pm

I think 6th IS a bit of a stretch. If we hadn’t gone and lost 4 in a row prior to our last 6, it could’ve been a possibility. Now 8th seems like an uphill battle: one I think we can win.

30. #30 habsfan_for_life1212 says:
    March 24, 2007 at 1:40 pm

Joshtm’s Gainey bashing is really starting to piss me off. I don’t understand how he thinks that gainey is the worst GM in NHL. I can think of a lot of worse ones (JFJ). Gainey is rebuilding this team thorugh the draft and timmins is doing a terrific job drafting, especially in later rounds. Hamilton might not be stacked at the moment but thats only because all the players from the last two draft years are still playing junior or college. Like Price,Fisher, Kostitsyn Jr, Ben maxwell, Ryan White and Mathieu Carle. All these players havce been drafted in either 05 or 06.
    One more thing Joshtm, you said that Chipchura, D’agostini, and a few other players were the reason monreal was playing so well at the beggining of the season. neither of them have been called up this year. I think you are thinking of the pre-season which if i remeber didnt go so well.
    And what is up with the constant Johnson bashing? He’s leading are team in 5-5 goals. This team wil be a definite competitor by 2009, which is when gainey said they were gonna be great. Not today, not tomorrow. 2009 buddy.

31. #31 smiler2729 says:
    March 24, 2007 at 2:01 pm

josh is like our idiot brother, ya just put up with him. I like Mike Johnson too, hope they re-sign him and Gainey is just what we need so ignore josh, most everybody here does anyway.

32. #32 Rob says:
    April 8, 2007 at 5:55 pm

Kirk Muller might make an excellent assistant coach, but the head coach job (which I am more concerned with) should definitely remain with Gainey. Carboneau, after starting Huet fresh from an injury in a do or die situation, has proven he does not deserve his job. Maybe Huet might be ready for the start of the next season but it is evident after a 6-5 loss to the Leafs – and I just want to stress this point – the F$@*ing Leafs, that he was not ready to come back at this point. Choosing to play him cost us a playoff birth and so I hate to say this Carboneau must go. We have to do all we can to get Gainey back. But back to the original topic I think Muller deserves a shot as assistant coach, because it’s obvious that Carboneau doesn’t deserve either a head or assistant coach job. Thats my two cents.