Crosby-less Pens

1. I’d say it will be an easy win without Sid but Conklin isn’t letting much past him these days. Hopefully their 3-0 loss to Tampa Bay last night is a sign of what’s to come tonight as well.

I’m still a bit disappointed though, I was looking forward to seeing the Habs play Crosby and company.

2. #2 habsofthefuture says:
    January 19, 2008 at 7:18 pm

“DID U KNOW”

That The hammer(5.5mill) is the second highest paid guy on our team Next to Markov(5.75),did u know Brian(2mill) slowlinski makes more than Thomas Plekanec(1.4Mill) because i didnt.LOL Did u know that kyle Chipchura makes twice as much as Maxim lapiere, a hundred thousand more than Carey Price and three hundred thousand more than Andrei Kostityn.I had no idea that these guys were getting paid this much to play average hockey.Exempt Markov and Plekanec they set the level of hockey MONTREAL should be playing all the time.

GO HABS GO KICK PITSBURG BUT

PS:Daryl Sutter GM of the flames is at tonights game.

3. Here’s the Jeckyl & Hyde team. Just spent a great game by Huet and no one finishing off plays. Hmmm – let’s see what are the good things from this game…because we’re fans we should be saying great game, we only lost by two goals and we will see them play again. We’re still in the hunt, yeah we now just got passed by Pittsburgh (oh yeah without Crosby) and now have the Flyers on our tail. But don’t worry team, we have every confidence cause you guys are great (welll, eventhough you didn’t really play well and you kind of had a little intensity, maybe enough for an afternoon shinny game and then a late brunch kind of thing. but we’re happy just the same….cause we’re fans (wink, wink, sarcasm!!!!)

Where are those boxing punching gloves…that’s what I’d be doing if I was Carbonneau. Another squandered two points. Ah we don’t need them, why separate us from the pack. Why ensure we are in a better position for the final quarter of the season. Every year we make it to the playoffs why change? In fact, why don’t we play with just the rookies, they’ll get experience.

I guess you might get the sense I’m really pissed!!!

Got to trade Ryder now or not get anything in return!!!

next game will be better…. I’ll repeat this twenty times before I hit the pillow.

4. #4 Habs4ever says:
    January 19, 2008 at 10:58 pm

Yep another lost two points where we could have stayed ahead of Pit,
    things are so tight, lose a couple and you are out of the picture.

Habs pop gun offense again, just useless, Koivu like Naslund in Vanc just
    putting in time, cashing their check not wanting to maybe get injured in the
    oncoming darkness of their career’s. It’s a business folks, they have
    done their time, get rid of them, a bag of used pucks(practise pucks accepotable–thank you) or half a dozen water bottles–don’t tuen down the trade because the caps are missing.
    Can’t score a goal in a game..pretty pathetic !!!

5. I don’t think Sutter wants that no show Ryder now foshure,lol.Even though he played great Huet is the Goat for letting in a goal and there goes 2 points. And lets not forget this was the Pens second game in 2 nites and without Crosby and Armstrong ,not very good. We need a power forward like Bertuzzi”who is tearing it up rite now!”to stur the pot and pot it in!

6. #6 Ice Man says:
    January 19, 2008 at 11:13 pm

Huet played good but the Pen’s Goalie played better. The Habs ran into a hot Goalie tonight.

Let the line changes begin.

Back to the old drawing board Carbo.

Huet did play good though. Too bad for him.

Better luck next time Habs.

HEY Xtrahabsfan:

Ryder a no show. He has got 3 goals in the past few games. If you ask me Higgins, Koivu, Latts are the now shows…..

7. #7 BarrieHabFan says:
    January 19, 2008 at 11:24 pm

Actually I would say that Latendresse is the one putting in his time and cashing the cheques. Xtrrahabsfan mentions a Bertuzzi like player…..wasn’t that supposed to be Latendresse. I like Latendresse but he needs to play much, much better and play with size and power (like he did in those two training camps to earn a roster spot).
    Ryder, well I just don’t think he wants to play in Montreal anymore. I think he will re-ignite his shot on another team and I think he would be a good fit in Calgary, San Jose, Pittsburgh or Toronto.
    And Koivu. I always thought he was not a number one center, but he was always a valuable member of the team. Now I doubt he could ever reclaim that assessment. He hinted some time ago that if Montreal didn’t make an effort at a cup then he should be traded to a contender. Monteral would most likely be a serious contender if he were even half the player he should be and that makes me think that either he is not getting along with coaching or management or he is playing with an injury. Either way a change of scenery is needed to benefit both Koivu and the habs.
    Here’s what I’d love to see happen:
    Koivu to San Jose for Marleau
    Ryder (plus futures or a pick) to Calgary for Tanguay
    Smolinski – gone before deadline (bring back Chipchura…he’s just better)

8. you know the habs are playing bad when: THE LEAFS HAVE A BETTER HOME RECORD!
    If the habs can’t win at home, they won’t make the playoffs.

9. Hey Iceman,our sniper Ryder has 7GOALS IN 41 GAMES,and couldn’t be seen tonite period.I’m pretty sure he could have a career in the A.H.L.playing for the Marlies,lol.Let me ask you this Iceman ,are you by chance from the Maritimes cause that would explain your fervor for another maritimer and I can except that,but can you except that Ryder ain’t gots what the Habs need ,a power forward who ain’t a PUSSY,plain and simple that has CONSISTENCY!

10. #10 Ice Man says:
    January 20, 2008 at 12:16 am

Hello, Mr. X Genius…… Newfoundland is NOT a part of the Maritimes OK. Ryder as of the past few games is better than Higgins who has bee a no show latley””””””’

11. #11 BarrieHabFan says:
    January 20, 2008 at 12:17 am

Newfoundland is not a part of the maritimes?

12. #12 Ice Man says:
    January 20, 2008 at 12:23 am

No sir it is not.

Nova Scotia, PEI & New Brunswick make up the Maritime Provinces. Newfoundland stands alone.

13. the bottom line is: the habs just didn’t show up tonight. their passes were off, defensively they had a hard time knocking the pens off the puck, and quite honestly, i didn’t think the habs had any dangerous shots. But if you listened to the HNIC broadcasters, they kepy saying how Sabourin was fantastic.
    Were they watching the same game as me? Unfortunately it’s getting old now that the habs can’t win at home. oh, BTW, wasn’t it just a week ago Saturday, that the habs didn’t show up against NYR? I don’t know what the problem is on home ice, but they better get it fixed up soon. Maybe they should wear their away uniforms all 82 games. I think Koivu and Ryder’s days are numbered as habs. Koivu isn’t playing with desire or passion the way he used too. And you can tell that by his body language and facial expressions. He never smiles anymore. He doesn’t seem to care, except when he cashes his checks. right?

14. #14 Ice Man says:
    January 20, 2008 at 12:32 am

I’m pretty much sure that it is direct deposit now.

15. well guys, we should get an automatic 2 points on Tuesday. why? Because it’s THE BRUINS! But really, I’m getting worried about our home record. we’re 500 at home. not good enough. remember the good old days,(about 30 years ago), when teams were terrified to come to the forum. We would beat teams 10-1, 11-1, 12-1. I’m sure some of you young pups weren’t around then, but I remember those days well. Nowadays, teams can’t wait to come to the bell center and bust our chops. I’d say, were 2 scorers away,( minus a few bodies) from being a very good team. What say you?

16. #16 KPinWI says:
    January 20, 2008 at 1:33 am

Maritimes – Atlantic Canada, whatever – why split hairs? And there’s really nothing to be worried about (home record notwithstanding), the team’s got enough depth and talent to get 4th to 6th in the east. A legitimate top line player could make this a very dangerous team in the playoffs, I would do Koivu + Dandenault for Marleau in a heartbeat and if Ryder + prospect for Tanguay was on the table, I’d do that too, then imagine:
    Tanguay-Marleau-Latendresse
    A.Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev
    Higgins-Smolinski-S.Kostitsyn
    Begin-Lapierre-Kostopulos
    Komisarek-Markov
    Streit-Hamrlik
    Bouillon-Gorges
    Huet
    Halak/Price

17. #17 MrBigTime says:
    January 20, 2008 at 11:38 am

Those both are doable trades, and would be awesome for us… I can’t see Gainey doing that much work though… one trade shuffle will be it. Get something for the UFA’s…don’t waste them, re-sign Huet unless you bring in another with trade (can’t see that, give Huet a 2 year deal and we’ll see where Price is between now and then… $3M / season about)

18. What if Huet agent is asking 5 mil per season ,is he worth it?

19. #19 BarrieHabFan says:
    January 20, 2008 at 1:20 pm

20. #20 BarrieHabFan says:
    January 20, 2008 at 1:24 pm

Too many good goalies available each summer at a reasonable price to overpay for Huet. Especially when Price will be ready very soon, despite what he may or may not do in Hamilton.

21. #21 BarrieHabFan says:
    January 20, 2008 at 1:27 pm

I really like the idea of Marleau and Tanguay coming to the habs. The habs have enough spare parts such as Dandenault, Smolinski, Brisebois and Halak that coiuld be packaged with Koivu and Ryder to make these deals happen. Such moves would take Montreal from being just another playoff qualifier to a legitimate cup contender.

22. #22 Senet 1 says:
    January 20, 2008 at 2:21 pm

we needed a number #1 centre for years, Koivu is making too many bad decisions with the puck, he cannot win important faceoffs and I think that Higgins and Ryder are having poorer seasons because of Koivu not playing well. I would trade Koivu. If we cannot get a number # 1 center then try this for a second line, Higgins a natural center between S. Kostitsyn and Latendresse. Smolinski and Brisebois had to go for sure. Huet is not worth $4M and he will want at least taht amount so he should be traded while we can get something for him not lose him to FA. Koivu unfortunately has to go while he is still marketable.

23. I agree with you Senet, but we also have to rid ourselves of Ryder. Yes I do believe also, that Koivu’s poor and uninspired play is bringing down his linemates, and team in general. That’s the reason Ryder, Higgins, S. Kostistyn, and whomever plays on Koivu’s line, can’t score. Koivu is upset with Gainey, for not bringing in better additions, and wants out of Montreal because he doesn’t consider this team a legitimate cup contender, and he’s right. So thanks for the memories Koivu and Adios!

24. #24 BarrieHabFan says:
    January 20, 2008 at 4:39 pm

But he’s not right! If Koivu was playing now the way he did at the start of the year or the way he did last year, this would be a cup contending team. Plekanec has been a breakthrough player, Kovalev has been great, young players such as Andrei Kostitsyn and Komisarek have been very good, Markov and Hamrlik (despite what many of you think) are among the top defenders in the league, Huet is one of the top ten goalies right now and most of the young call-ups have performed like a group from a team with a bright future. This team is not far from being a contender and this is a strange time for Koivu to give up.
    I hope that he is traded and I’m sure that it will benefit both parties. Right now any player with some scoring ability and motivation would be better in the lineup than Koivu or Ryder.

25. #25 habsofthefuture says:
    January 20, 2008 at 4:41 pm

HUET IS NOT WORTH 4 MILLION

Was i not watching the same game as you guys or are what.Because what i saw was excellent goaltending on both ends.I have no idea why you guys want him gone that bad but what i do know is that when he replaced theodore the habs look good again and those lateral saves he made last night were highlight saves.Plus i dont think huet is going to ask that much he has publicly stated him and his wife love it in montreal, i think he is a team player and BG will keep him for a few years to come.

2006-07 Played in NHL All-Star
    2005-06 NHL – Roger Crozier Saving Grace Award (Best save percentage)
    2000-01 Swiss National League – Goaltender of the Year
    1999-00 Swiss National League – Goaltender of the Year
    1997-98 French League – Most Valuable Player
    1997-98 French League – Goaltender of the Year

Huh i guess iam not the only one to think hes a keeper.

26. #26 BarrieHabFan says:
    January 20, 2008 at 5:49 pm

I don’t think the debate is whether Huet is a good goalie or not, just whether he is worth 4 or 5 millin a year. And, all due respect, but any awards in the Swiss or French leagues mean diddly.
    He’s a good goalie, not great. He should stick around so long as he’s not too expensive. Montreal can more easily get a good goalie through free agency or trade than a top two line forward.

27. #27 HabsPal87 says:
    January 20, 2008 at 8:51 pm

Guys guys guys….you all have REALLY short memories. You’re all like goldfish. Really

Remember last year when everyone wanted Kovalev out of town? Now he’s rebounded to become the most dangerous player in a habs Uniform. Ribeiro? He had one off year, and we traded him away for a doormat, and now he’s rebounded as one of the most dangerous players in the West. Koivu and Ryder, while not having the greatest seasons, are not broken. Koivu, who has been one of the most consistant, hardworking, top level skill guys the habs have had for lord knows how many seasons, is having a sub par year. It’s ok, he’s earned one. He isn’t beyond having a rebound. Ryder, who has forgotten how to shoot, still has a killer wrist shot, he just needs to use it more. I think Carbo should tell him to just shoot the puck, stop it with all the fancy dekes, and if not, welcome to the press box. If he starts putting the puck on the net again, there’s not reason he shouldn’t rebounds as soon as Febuary.Neither of these players, Ryder, or Koivu, should be traded away. Just like Kovalev had a bad season last year,and is now tearing up the Eastern conference goalies, so to can Koivu and Ryder bounce back. BELIEVE

As for Huet, he’s a good goalie, he should come back, at around 4.5 million. He’s a former all star, and looking past his puckhandling, he’s one of the best goalies in the east. And if god forbides, Price doesn’t live up to the hype,(raycroft anyone?) the habs would have lost nothing keeping him around for a few years. I like Price, but Winning the boys championship(the juniors) and the boys cup(the calder) doesn’t prepare him for the ins and outs of the NHL full of Ovechkins and Lecavaliers.

28. HabsPal87,lol,dude, there’s a big difference between a natural talent”one of the best in league” underachieving and a slow skating ,out of place ,pussy,who at this point probably couldn’t score a date on an all female island! Ryder overachieved for years and is now in need of new scenery! And I might add,if he was any good would have other clubs knocking the doors down to acquire him and that’s not the case ,is it!

29. hey guys, we’ve now dropped to 6th place, and only 5 points out of 8th place. It’s crunch time. We need to beat Boston on Tuesday, but then will probably, (as usual)lose in NJ on Thursday. There’s no room for error, and we can’t continue to lose at home. When you don’t show up in 2 of the last 4 games, it reminds me of the collapse of last year. I hope I’m wrong, but concerned.
    As it stands now, I don’t think we have the horses to get the job done. We need more depth, and need to get rid of excess baggage, ie Koivu, Ryder, Begin,Brisebois,Smolinski. They will only bring us down.

30. #30 Rubberman says:
    January 20, 2008 at 11:31 pm

WOw! Great site… I even got a geography lesson… Habs (which I am one of many) are pretty extremists. Lose one game, and the team is going to shits… You had to know the PEns would be up for Saturday’s game. I know I would be. For professionals, it sucks the amount of effort these atheletes put forward. Man, I wish I was making money like that…

31. #31 Rubberman says:
    January 20, 2008 at 11:42 pm

You know what sucks. I live in Northern Ontario. I teach music in 7 different schools and last week I wore my Habs tuque and kids in Gr. 1. 2, and 3 were telling me how the Habs suck. I heard that line from many kids. With the kids, I could laugh it off. I also get looks from adults (who have smurks on their faces). I could see it in their faces: Leafs fans. Those arrogant bastards. They look down on the Habs, meanwhile what does TOronto have to show since ’67?

All this being said, as a faithful Habs fan since ’73, I hope Bob stops signing fillers, save the $ to make an offer to Lecavalier. Have Jean Beliveau call him and offer him his jersey (kind of lending his retired #) if Vinny would sign here. Bob, get a star player, and sign your core players (eg Higgins, Komisarek(?), Markov, Kostitin brothers to long deals. Don’t bother with older players who are on the down side (you know, the end of…) their careers.

32. #32 HabPal87 says:
    January 21, 2008 at 12:04 am

Xtrahabsfan, my friend, someone who has 2 back to back 30 goal seasons before the age of 30 isn’t overachieving. He has the talent, sure, he’s not the fastest Hab, he doesn’t have the skill set Kovalev comes with, but he has a good wrister, among one of the best the Habs have.He’s got a confidence problem, either he is overconfident(all the dekes…come on Ryder, stop the Bull****, you aren’t Koivu or Kovalev here) or he has a lack of confidence(not shooting nearly enough, nor from the right places on the ice)

He’s having one bad season, but cut the guy some slack. Not every Player in the league is going to have career high seasons. NHL players have their highs and their lows. Sure, he may not be helping the habs this year, but if we trade him and he finds his game again, we are going to be smashing our heads agaisnt our computer desks wondering why we let him go. Because I am Willing to be, last year, You wanted Kovalev out, for something like a 7th round draft pick.

33. #33 HabPal87 says:
    January 21, 2008 at 12:04 am

Willing to bet*

34. HabPal,last year quite frankly was not a good year to be a Habs fan ending with the last game of the year loss to you know who so that we miss the big show and Ryders last very good game aswell.Ryder don’t fit on the Habs and Gainey ain’t going to build around Ryder so….And as far as Kovalev oh yea I was really pissed at him for his performance and Russian inteviews,but we ALL KNOW if anyone can play the sport of hockey if he wants to it Kovalev. A s I see it we’re talking apples and oranges here when comparing the two ,plus again ,how much is Ryders agent going to ask this time around?3 mill-4mill for a 12 goal scorer that can’t do anything else well,geezus.

35. #35 BarrieHabFan says:
    January 21, 2008 at 1:27 am

When you talk about cutting someone slack for having just one bad year I think you need to condsider the past and future importance of the player and their age. With Koivu, he can be a great player, but in the last few years he has been mostly an uninspired player who is taking up the number one center position and getting lots of ice time with very little to show for it. This is more than just one bad year and at his age he can’t afford to have very much bad hockey before he needs to be shipped out. Ryder is a little younger and does have the potential to turn it around and make Montreal look bad for trading him. But being a very one dimensional player who has shown a pattern of inconsistencey makes that less likely.
    Teams don’t sit on players who are playing poorly. It’s just fact and has been consistent throughout the NHL’s history. Sometimes the trade wakes them up and they play better and I hope this is the case with Ryder and Koivu (so long as they are traded to the west). But Montreal can’t sit and wait for the dim hope that two vastly underperforming players (one who is getting up there in age) will turn their performances around.

36. #36 BarrieHabFan says:
    January 21, 2008 at 1:37 am

Oh, and I am a fan of Huet. But there is no way that they can pay him 4.5 million in a market that is flooded with good goalies. Earlier post by habsforthefuture mentioned that both goalies looked good in the habs-pens game when trying to say how much Huet is worth. Good point. Since the pens goalie played as good as Huet and gets payed much less. Same story for most of the other goalies that have either stymied the habs or totally shut them out. The point is that there are several good goalies that put up good numbers and cost much less. If Huet is not too expensive then he’d be great to have for a few more years, or unitl Price is ready. But if the price for Huet goes too high I’d rather see than money spent on improving the weak Montreal offence.

37. One thing more on the “price is wrong for ryder”lol,at the rate he’s scoring I’ve guestamated he will make over $350.000 PER GOAL,nuts!That’s like some hockey wellfare! Remember Ryder is making $5ooo. short of $4mil THIS SEASON.

38. #38 habsfan says:
    January 21, 2008 at 3:10 pm

YOU GUYS ARE SO STUPID! WHY TRADE OUR CAPTIN? THE captin is not always the best player like jason smith on the flyers. KOIVU JUST NEEDS A GOAL SCORER LIKE…well my idea was to get Selanne for 3 mill!!!!!!:)

39. #39 habsfan says:
    January 21, 2008 at 3:12 pm

AND PLAY KOVALEV AND SELLANNE WITH KOIVU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

40. #40 MrBigTime says:
    January 21, 2008 at 3:23 pm

It’s not like Koivu is a force to be reckoned with on the ice lately, unless you consider the amount of hooking penalties he’s taken… You have to be able too see him as a leader, and lately, out leader has looked lazy out here… I am not knocking Koivu, but his time is up in Montreal, and should be moved.

Maybe if we packaged Ryder + Koivu + Halak to Tampa Bay… maybe their grip on #4 could be loosened…

Pull the trigger at least once Gainey… Move either Ryder or koivu for talent!

41. While I’m not a big Ryder fan lately, I’d prefer to see Koivu go. He has been a great player and a solid captain for us and I’ll always remember him that way, but he’s past his prime and taking up valuable ice time that could go to a more inspired centre. I’d still let Ryder go in that Halak/Koivu/Ryder for Lecavilier deal though :D

42. #42 habsfan says:
    January 21, 2008 at 8:36 pm

hello????????

43. #43 habsofthefuture says:
    January 21, 2008 at 9:59 pm

Huh Ryder is on the first line tomorrow night(TSN) and the sharks/stars are interested in him “says hockey buzz.com”.Something big is shaking MAYBE.

44. #44 Habs4ever says:
    January 22, 2008 at 12:04 am

Please don’t EVER even think of Beruzzi being a Hab…. this is a big fat
    lazy slug, who has scored a couple lately, he’s a floater around the
    edges waiting for a pass. Smolinski, Breezeby, Ryder, Koivu all have to go,
    they are just putting in time, and like someone said, getting payroll
    deposit.
    One of the problems Bob has is…no other team wants our cast offs…
    sad but true

45. #45 habs mojo says:
    January 22, 2008 at 1:12 am

Bertuzzi a big fat slob? I think that was last year…

He’s playing the power forward these days.. 8 points in the last 5 games.
    He’s lost a crapload of weight and looks like the old 1st rounder..

46. if no one wants them, then they have to be sent down, similar to Samsashit. If that means they all make it to the Bull dogs so be it. The problem is that they are making big bucks playing in the minors…mmm not good for the GM. So rather try show casing them and make them become a good commodity that others would want. Sharks would be a good fit…Marleau & Cheechoo for Koivu & Ryder. Maybe that would be exciting. Both sets could help out the other team especially since they’re not setting any point streaks on their current teams. Remember you have to give something in order to get something. Or maybe take Tanguay for Ryder, Koivu & Dandenault or Brisebois (maybe package or swap rookies to make the deal work) for Marleau & Carle (or almost any one of their defense including Rivest- they’re all 6′ or taller!!)

Now can someone tell these guys tonight is a must show up game. Get energized and hit anyone & everyone that touches the puck and also set each other up and shoot at the net (remember to finish the plays!!!)

And just to be on the level, if Ryder starts to score, it doesn’t change the plan. He’s being showcased to be traded no rants to keep him in Montreal. Koivu, although I have been a great supporter, should also be moved with the right bite & include Jalak for the right players in return. Maybe Chicago might want to deal. Anyways, let’s beat the Bruins, we need all the points we can get in this stretch of the season. Come onnnnnn!! This is the time to gel and make it a good run. Go Habs Go!!

47. #47 Ice Man says:
    January 22, 2008 at 8:59 am

I hope Ryder goes to a team and becomes a star.

Why is it that players in Montreal loose intrest in playing hockey here?
    HUUUMMMMMMMM I wonder why ????

48. The Flames #2 prospect is Dan Ryder, Michael’s brother. Dan has decided to step away from hockey and it could be argued that the Flames, in order to get him back on track in his development, would pursue Michael to convince his brother to return to the organizaton. Acquiring Michael Ryder could be beneficial in that aspect as well as the opportunity to dump salary that Alex Tanguay is eating up, payroll they would need to lock up Langkow, Huselius and Phaneuf. Of course for a deal to happen, Montreal would have to sweeten the pot.

To Calgary: Michael Ryder, 2nd round pick OR a mid level prospect

To Montreal: Alex Tanguay.

It is no secret Montreal would be a perfect fit for Tanguay, becoming an instant star among the french-canadian community. Chances are, the Flames would re-sign Michael to a lot less than what Tanguay is making and he would provide a decent second line production with a change of scenery.

49. #49 MrBigTime says:
    January 22, 2008 at 11:23 am

Ryder is only making $2.95M this year…not $3.95M as mis-stated above…

And if we are thinking short term goalie acquisitions.. Hasek is UFA next year, and will go for about $2M at a ripe age of 43, why not? Ottawa may look to steal him back though… back him up with Halak maybe for a cheap short term goalie solution, Price will be ready soon, just because he is getting lit up down there, doesn’t mean he is toast, he looked good at times when up, and will be ready to go soon in my opinion…

50. I’m pretty sure that something will happen between the habs and flames, but If not, something will happen between the habs and someone else. Something will be done for sure!!! And If Dallas is making a trade, I see maybe Morrow or Lehtinen coming and if San Jose Patrick Marleau.