Crosby Show

• Tonight should be a good one. The league’s poster boy and leading scorer in town to take on the Habs.

Crosby is on fire and all eyes will be on him to continue his point explosion tonight. 10 points in the last 2 games put him ahead of Jaromir Jagr as the league’s leading scorer.

The PBJ line should see a lot of ice and have their hands full containing Crosby and
    Evgeni Malkin who makes his first ever visit to Montreal.

There’s no denying the Pens are improving and have a lethal offense but there are still several defensive concerns that exist.

Chris Higgins is finally back tonight and it’ll be interesting to see if he can step back in and find his game quickly.

If stats mean anything to you, Cristobal Huet didn’t face the Penguins last season, but is 2-0-0 with an 0.58 goals-against average and one shutout in his career against them. Both wins came in the 2003 calendar year, when he was with Los Angeles.

Should be a good one.

1. #1 HaBz4EveR says:
    December 16, 2006 at 6:54 pm

yeah but was Crosby with the pens in 2003? don’t think so lol so those stats will probably not be worth anything…

2. I can’t believe that the game is actually on CBC in ENGLISH!! It’s about time the CBC showed the Hab’s for once, other then when they play the Laffs. but I do feel sorry for those poor people in Newfoundland and Labrador cause they are stuck watching the lousy Laffs lol!! Hope Higgie has a great game!! GO HABS GO!!!

3. #3 HaBz4EveR says:
    December 16, 2006 at 8:40 pm

ok guys… how many penalties did we get so far? 8-9?!? Those refs really gotta calm down…

4. #4 fanatic1 says:
    December 16, 2006 at 8:40 pm

the PENALTIES!!PENALTIES!!PENALTIES!!! we’re killing ourselves!!! NO DISCIPLINE!!!

5. #5 fanatic1 says:
    December 16, 2006 at 8:56 pm

How to lose a hockey game? just ask the Montreal Canadiens! They’re wonderful at taking penalties. the habs report: penalties…..A+
    lack of discipline…..A+
    defence………F
    all in all, this team is unable to stay out of the penalty box!
    It will be their downfall in the playoffs, and that is why they will only be, and always be, just a PRETENDER! Never a serious CONTENDER!

6. #6 fanatic1 says:
    December 16, 2006 at 9:01 pm

I told you guys on an earlier blog. We NEVER WIN ON SATURDAY’S!! check our record this season on Saturday night games. it is HORRIFIC!!

7. #7 Hab-a-dab-a-do says:
    December 16, 2006 at 9:51 pm

Crosby Who ????????????

8. #8 fanatic1 says:
    December 16, 2006 at 9:51 pm

what a turnaround! 22 shots for us. but guys, please no more 1st periods like that.You’re going to give us a heart attack. if we could have more periods like the 2nd one, nobody would beat us. keep it up guys. our PP is lethal.Souray is the man, with his bullet shot.

9. Cue the comeback…Habs 5 Pens 2, 22 shots in second period for Habs. Saku is having a fantastic game and that third line is doing a great job shutting down Crosby and Malkin. Hopefully this one is in the BANK!!GO HABS GO!!!

10. #10 HaBz4EveR says:
    December 16, 2006 at 10:46 pm

Well well, looks like nothing can stop us from winning, penalties don’t seem to do it, neither does playing against malkin and crosby

Next Challenge, Sabres!

11. #11 Habsfan says:
    December 16, 2006 at 11:01 pm

Higgins had a strong game once he was moved back up with Koivu + Ryder.

2nd line is also starting to click, but Plekanec has to get his shots on target. He had 10 shots, 2 on net, 8 wide.

3rd line shut down Crosby + Malkin well, and provided some good forechecking.

PK is going as well as PP.

Habs are lookin’ good!

Sabres are next, GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!

12. #12 fanatic1 says:
    December 16, 2006 at 11:11 pm

I think the Rangers didn’t show up tonight. that’s the only way the leafs could win 9-2. Enjoy all those goals tonight, leafs, because you won’t be seeing them again! I can’t wait until we meet them again, so we can bomb them!
    It’s nice to see koivu scoring. his production is way up this year. kudos to him, and Lapierre-his 2nd NHL goal. Now, if only that 2nd line could get going.maybe put higgins at center on 2nd line, and move Latendresse to 2nd line,and move Kovalev to the 1st line.If only we could stay out of the penalty box, we could play 60 minutes of hockey. Tuesday, in Buffalo will be a tough game, because Ottawa beat the sabres tonight, in Buffalo. Play smart, habs in Buffalo. good luck! If we could beat them, their lead would only be 5 points.

13. Breaking News! Jarkko Ruttu is the league’s biggest coward. That was an absolutly pahtetic display. As Don Cherry said, he’s the biggest phoney of all time.

And talk about a smothering defence! No team has been able to contain Crosby this season like Montreal did tonight. And does anyone have better special teams? 4 PP goals and a killer PK.

It’s looking more and more like 1rst overall is an obtainable goal. Right now they’re the second best team in the east.

Finally, i’ve noticed that clutch has a new spelling in the dictionary, it can now be spelled K-O-I-V-U!

14. I was reading some of the comments on that petition web site and I cannot believe that the CBC in Montreal is showing the Leafs INSTEAD of the Habs on most weekends. That is absolutely assinine on the CBC’s part. They really make me sick with their poor announcers and unprofessionalism. I’m done with them!!

15. Oh…Excellent game by the way. GO HABS GO!!!

16. First I am still shocked that they showed the Habs game out west. What a pleasant surprise.

Great win! Lets forget the first period.

The 2nd line is really starting to look strong. They were are best linie tonight, I dont think anyone can argue that. As much as I like Gui you can tell teh first line is alot more potent with HIggy on it. HIggy is too dynamic to be playing on the 4th.

I think they summed it up perfectly at teh end that the Habs just has too much depth for the Pens. I have not seen this much depth since the late 80′s. NOt that I remeber the late 80′s.

17. #17 HaBz4EveR says:
    December 17, 2006 at 6:31 am

Hey Snake,

I agree with you about pretty much everything except one: The second line being our best one that night?!?

The only person to get point was Kovalev, and he got them in power play so he wasn’t even out there with the rest of the second line. Sure, I find that line played well, but the first was wayyy better.

Now I think we can say that unless some dramatic thing happens to the team ( Koivu getting and eye injury again) we are cup contenders. The only obstacle that we need to overcome now is buffalo. If we can win this one in regulation and not by some lucky shot with a sec left in overtime by a guy like souray ;) then we are in league with them. Last time we beat them was in buffalo so seems like it isn’t whats gonna stop us from wining.

Can’t wait for Tuesday!

18. #18 TonyMuerte says:
    December 17, 2006 at 8:49 am

If we beat Buffalo we will be at 5 points of the first place in the East? Amazing…. and a lot of people said that our canadiens were not going to make the playoffs lol.

19. I really wish that some of the “bloggers” in here, (AND YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, (AND I KNOW YOUR ENTITLED TO YOUR OPINION)) but would you be kind enough to spare us the end of period rants about how “the habs are gonna lose again…” and,” they always lose on saturday’s…” and, “they have no discipline…and,” FIRE THE TEAM!!!” Your not only embarassing yourself, but it’s the kind of “band wagon jumping” that a lot of “so called” montreal fans are known for!But usually their guilty of jumping off and on from game to game! Not period to period, or even shift to shift! Jesus have some faith in YOUR team! That’s part of what being a REAL FAN IS ABOUT..Support your team through good AND BAD not just win or tie!
    It’s just more than a little irritating!!!

Bring on the SABRES!

GO HABS GO!

20. #20 Hab-a-dab-a-do says:
    December 17, 2006 at 1:12 pm

Way to go Jay, Unless your dressed in a suit and stand behind the bench,shut up with what needs to be done with the team in regards to trades and who needs to go,Last time I checked the team was doing pretty good with the mix thats on it now.

21. #21 fanatic1 says:
    December 17, 2006 at 1:24 pm

I thought this was a blog? that means, ANYONE CAN SAY ANYTHING THEY PLEASE ! get it? So if you don’t like a variety of opinions, TOUGH! This blog would be awfully BORING, IF EVERYONE AGREED! And I can back up all my remarks with STATS!

22. #22 fanatic1 says:
    December 17, 2006 at 1:30 pm

Also, I don’t think there is 1 person. who would agree that the habs played well in the 1ST PERIOD,especially being outshot 17-3! also, nobody would argue with the fact that the habs took way too many PENALTIES in the 1st period! so lighten up, and realize that I spoke about the 1st period only! besides, there is nothing wrong with wanting 60 minutes out of your team! we all want to see them do well, and NOTHING is more frustrating than seeing your team spend the WHOLE PERIOD IN THE PENALTY BOX! that’s all i said, and it was factual!And if I want to make remarks every minute of the game,THAT’S MY PEROGATIVE!

23. #23 hab heaven says:
    December 17, 2006 at 2:04 pm

So what are the chances of us beating Buffalo,again? they lost to Ottawa, Saturday, so it makes our job tougher, but if we skate, and come up big defensively, i think we can do it. How about moving Latendresse to the 2nd line, with Kovalev at center, and Samsonov on the other wing? Maybe Latendresse can get the line moving, and out of this funk,or what about Lapierre with Kovalev and Latendresse? they could dig the puck out of the corners, and feed it to Kovy in the slot.

24. Well said Jay. I couldnt believe the posts I was reading during the game either.

That being said Fanatic is right about his right to say whatever, whenever as this is a blog for opinions. If he had been in my livingroom however watching the game with me and whining like that I would have asked him to leave. I think my exact comments to the people who were watching with me after the first were ” watch the habs turn it up in the second frame “.

Fanatic is obviously very passionate about our habs, but unfortunately I think he may be one of those who makes funeral arrangements when someone sneezes.

sorry about all that verbal seepage guys….reminded myself of Bob McKenzie there ( ewww ).

Fanatic…you say what you want, when you want to….if we dont like it, we’ll just skip over it, OR because this is a blog we may jump on you from time time.Gawd knows I have been in the past, but that’s just part of the fun here no?….bottom line is, if we were all in a pub together tilting a coolie, we’d all be on the same page.

go habs.. 4-2 for us on tuesday…a goal each for Higgy & Kovy.

25. PS….Has anyone else read any of this crap about the habs seeking Sergei Fedorov?…what a crock….6 mil per year….jesus….Gainey is smarter than that.

26. #26 hab heaven says:
    December 17, 2006 at 3:40 pm

though I still think we should have taken Perreault. he scored at least 8 goals already for the coyotes,but now it’s too late. I do believe that we should try and get a backup to huet; a goalie that can compliment him,and not just play 10 games a year. If we can get accomplish that(via trade, or from Hamilton), we would really be in the driver’s seat. why do we have so much trouble beating Buffalo and New jersey? it’s been going on for decades now! I can remember in the 70′s not being able to beat Buffalo! what a mystique!

27. #27 TonyMuerte says:
    December 17, 2006 at 5:37 pm

I think that Perreault was too slow for the canadiens. Since Gainey is here he try to make a very fast team.

28. You know…we just missed a chance with Bondra…I think we might have been able to get him with performance bonuses. He’s gonna be another Shanahan. And someone mentioned that Forsberg might be available…

mmm…after seeing and hearing of his oft injury prone body…passing him by may be the wiser move. I still think that Bondra might have filled in the closure role (one that Ryder seems to have lost and Higgins due to injury hasn’t fulfilled) also, Kovalev just might be finding the trigger and which Samsonov hasn’t been able to grip (only after 19 or so games). I think having Bondra would have enabled a trade scenario more palatable and more appealing.

However, just thinking out loud of course watching the group continue on their winning ways means that the trigger for a trade doesn’t have to be pushed until the right formula comes along. So, we stand put so long as the wins are achieved. I still think they have shown signs of weakness and stronger teams will exploit this when we are invited to the dance. Just the same let’s see if they can make the Sabres sweat it out a little more. Go Habs Go!

29. #29 Habs#1 says:
    December 17, 2006 at 5:51 pm

Bondra is 39 years old and only played half a season last year because of injury. Enough said.

30. First of all, if you look up a few posts I did aknowledge everyone’s right to their own opinion in this room!

I pourposely never pointed the finger at anyone specifically, and All I was saying was MY OPINION of what a true fan should be and how a true fan should try to support their team as opposed to acting like the overbearing stereotypical hockey parent!

@ Fanatic…If you identifyed with my comments above, well then maybe you should spend a moment or two considering exactly why you immediately felt you were the fodder for my comments!

Could you be a touch on the “Rubbernecking Bandwagon” I Don’t know! What do you think? Do you feel that my opinion was wrong that we should all just give up after 20 bad minutes of a 60 minute hockey game?! Imagine if ALL the “fans” after the 1st period came back and booed relentlessy or even worse just left the game!!! Kind of interesting visual don’t you think!

31. sorry, but my comment on Bondra still holds…someone who has 39 years of age and plays like he’s 30 and contributes (hence my performance scale) then it should be considered. If he’s prone to injury…well, that’s a whole other topic…see my comments on Forsberg. (just the same would be nice to cash in on someone overachieving eventhough he have been dismissed by everyone). Go Habs Go!

32. #32 hab heaven says:
    December 17, 2006 at 8:38 pm

obviously, Chicago thought good enough about Bondra, to sign him.He did score over 20 goals last year with Atlanta, so he still can score. we don’t want Forsburg. he is injury prone, and his contract is 6MIL/year. forget it! I’m sure, as teams will drop out of the playoff race, they will make players expendable. We need only to bide our time. I can almost guarantee that Gainey or Gauthier will go get a centerman,and might be willing to part with Samsonov ,KOvalev, or Ryder, should thr right scenario arise.As far as Souray is concerned, unless we get a Dman with a great blueline shot,I bet we keep Souray for the entire season.If we give him up for next to nothing, our PP will suffer, and be ordinary without him. Do we want to take that chance, and possibly lose in the playoffs, because of a lack of PP strength? NO!The last point man, with a great shot on the PP, was Al MacInnis. Souray’s shot is that good.The only Dman I would consider getting in his place, is Jovanovsky,and I bet Phoenix might be willing to part with him, considering they will probably drop out of the playoff race very soon. We can dream, can’t we?

33. There is nothing worse then a hockey fan who contantly criticizes and belittles his favourite team. These are the same people who give up after down a goal at teh first intermission and are constanlt calling for a trade when their team is 2nd in the conference in points. I feel bad for these people because they spend all their time bi*ching and complaining they are missing out on enjoying one heck of a hockey team. Go cheer for some other team or join the Montreal media.

34. #34 hab heaven says:
    December 18, 2006 at 1:18 am

there is nothing worse than a person who belittles other human beings, who have the courage and the dignity to stand up for what they believe in.
    If people on this blog get upset when others decide to make a comment, they should not be on this blog. this is a BLOG-it’s sole purpose is to have a variety of opinions. it does not have to reflect the same opinion or view of each person. berating and trying to chastize others who make intelligent comments, is not self serving to this blog.it only shows what a little narcissistic mind they have and it will only exacerbate their fragile and worthless brains. so put that in your pipe, and smoke it, because you sound like your on something anyways!

35. #35 HaBz4EveR says:
    December 18, 2006 at 2:21 am

Umm.. guys? why are we fighting over stupid little things? You know how the habs are winning right now? because of their chemistry. But then when I look at all of us in this blog, I don’t see that chemistry.

I guess that both can’t have it. We had it last year so the habs lost and now the fans bicker each other so that the habs can win. Fair enough.

Oh and I hope u understood what I meant… STOP FIGHTING EACH OTHER!!! Keep it for the Laffs and Buffalo on tuesday.

36. #36 hab heaven says:
    December 18, 2006 at 11:46 am

I guess some people would rather criticize other bloggers than criticize their own team. I call those people idiots, because they don’t realize that everyone is on the same page! we all want what’s good for the team. life is not perfect! unless the habs have won as many games as they have played, they’re not perfect! so if there is room for improvement, and there is, what’s wrong with voicing our opinion? that’s exactly what is forum is all about. these guys , so almighty, who come on this blog and criticize others, look at your own comments. So unless you want us to say derogatory comments about you, shut up, and listen to what we’re saying. you might learn a thing or 2!

37. #37 HaBz4EveR says:
    December 18, 2006 at 12:32 pm

Couldn’t of said it better Hab Heaven… Oh yeah, add GO HABS GO!!! ;)

38. #38 joshtm says:
    December 18, 2006 at 2:52 pm

The habs gotta fix their defense, honestly, anyone and everyone routinely walks into the habs blue line, go right up to Huet and dumps their shot with impunity, almost like as if there is no defense. Or the other way, Souray routinely dumps the other forwards into Huet, what gives there, Sheldon the coach says knock em down, not into Huet for God’s Sake!!!

39. #39 hab-dab-a-do says:
    December 18, 2006 at 3:01 pm

But most of the people here are not just criticizing the team! they are spilting up the team,trading the other half of it,if you going to critize the team at least be constructive not destructive!!!!! thats being a idiot.

40. #40 hab heaven says:
    December 18, 2006 at 3:26 pm

obviously, we can’t trade half a team. c’mon! we just need a little tweaking to get this team to perform at it’s top level, game in and game out. usually every team needs 1 or 2 changes, be it offensively or defensively ,to make the team perform at it’s top level. remember, this is only December.are you satisfied with the personnel in this lineup until mid April? I don’t think there is 1 person who will HONESTLY admit that every piece of the puzzle is in place.personally, I do believe Huet will tire out come April if he’s forced to play almost every night. that’s only natural. The stamina required to do that, would be incredible, not to mention the mental strength necessary to do that. If i had to work 80 hours instead of 40, I’d be exhausted.it’s no different for goaltenders. think logically.having Aebischer, or whoever, play 1 game out of every 8, is not enough.Complimenting Huet,and playing every 3rd game ,would be much better.Unfortunately, Aebischer doesn’t have the strength, talent wise ,to do that, or Carbo would be playing him more often.at the beginning of the season, we didn’t know what we had.now we do, and Aebischer, in my opinion, isn’t a strong backup. So,look to Hamilton for a possible replacement.same goes for an offensive player,and Ninnimaa must go. he is a defensive liability, and not worth the money. so,we could save $2 mil+, and use that money to sign someone who would contribute every game, and not sit out almost every night,as Ninnimaa does. I am, and always have been a staunch Montreal Canadiens supporter, and that support will never wane. I just want this team to win,and get to the top. let’s try, as fans,to encourage this team to do whatever’s necessary, to get this team to the promised land- the Stanley cup! Let’s start with a win in Buffalo!

41. #41 hab-dab-a-do says:
    December 18, 2006 at 4:34 pm

Yeah cause thats what I see when I read most peoples rants is encouragement????

42. Hab Heaven:

I wouldnt mind trading you right now.

43. #43 hab heaven says:
    December 18, 2006 at 6:10 pm

you couldn’t afford me. I’m worth more than you have! Also. I’m not belligerent or rude!

44. #44 Hab-a-dab-a-do says:
    December 18, 2006 at 6:54 pm

I feel I would be worth at least 5 first round draft picks and the Bell Centre

45. #45 habsboy4life says:
    December 18, 2006 at 7:04 pm

The Ottawa Sun reported on Sunday that rumours have been circulating around discussions between Montreal and Columbus on the fate of Sergei Federov. The article mentioned both Ninnimaa and Bonk in a possible deal for the $6 million center. If the reports are true it would certainly bring a talented player to center the Canadiens #2 line, albeit Federov is sometimes considered to be a player in decline. Any thoughts?

46. #46 Habs#1 says:
    December 18, 2006 at 7:11 pm

There is no way this rumor is true. A lot of people, including myself, have complained about some of the European players not putting enough effort in and Federov is no different. He has 19 points this season. For someone earning 6 mil, that’s not enough, and I don’t think he’s even a FA after this season.

Federov is not the answer and would be a waste of ressources to get him. There’s no way they should trade Bonk. Did you see what he did to Crosby on Saturday?

And the 2 best GM’s in the league are Brian Burke and Bob Gainey. If Brian Burke didn’t want him then there’s no way that Doug McLean could pull the wool over Gainey’s eyes. And if there’s something we’ve learned about Gainey, it’s that if we’ve heard the rumor it’s generally not going to happen. Just cause he’s got a big name and cause he was good 7 years ago dosen’t mean it would be a good decision to bring him in.

47. Fourth line has been posted for tomorrow:

Streit…Latendresse….Lapierre…

rds reports this to be a 4th line that is the envy of all coaches in the league.

all can penalty kill, play on the power play, and beat your number 1 line staight up 5 on 5.

not a bad problem to have huh?….should be a blast watching these guys go tomorrow, as they try to prove Carbo is right by putting them together….cant wait.

Izzy

48. #48 habsboy4life says:
    December 18, 2006 at 8:08 pm

I agree that adding Fedorov to the lineup is waste of valubale resources. Given the Canadiens recent success, any profound changes could seriously disrupt team chemistry. Gainey is an intelligent GM and probably understands the implications of adding an unproven $6 million man. As the old cliche states: If it ain’t broke – don’t fix it!!

49. #49 stevejur says:
    December 18, 2006 at 9:22 pm

Fedorov, maybe 5 years ago.
    Bonk being traded, no way. They invested to much time in him.

Tampa will be moving one of the big 4, let’s get our hands on one of them.
    If we are going to lose Souray next year, let’s see if we can get Boyle.

50. #50 Habsfan says:
    December 18, 2006 at 10:03 pm

Well, according to a media source in Montreal, Gainey was close to trading Ninima, Bonk and draft pick to Columbus for Sergei Fedorov. I think that the Habs should wait, and make a similar trade before trade deadline except for Pavel Datsyuk, who Detroit is having problems in contract negotiations. Try to keep Bonk as he is key in our sucessful PK.

I would love to see Datsyuk in a Habs uniform, he is amazing.

GO HABS GO