Danger Rangers

• The Canadiens are 0-3 against the Rangers this year. Including most recently giving up a 3-0 lead at home en route to a 5-3 loss.

The Rangers have had a very up and down season, but for whatever reason pull it together when playing the Canadiens.

If the Canadiens cannot catch Ottawa and happen to finish 4th in the East they would likely play a middle of the pack team from the Atlantic Division. The Rangers are a very possible candidate for a 1st round playoff matchup. As are the Flyers who the Habs just handled fairly easily.

Expect Playoff intensity tonight. Expect Hollweg to go after Kovalev.

At this point of the season you have to believe the Canadiens realize where they stand. They know they are in a good spot, they are confident, they know they can compete with good teams.

All that’s left to do now is execute.

1. #1 habsalltheway says:
    February 19, 2008 at 11:00 pm

Hey I will say it i thought there was no way they were coming back from 0-5 but ……I BELIVE :) GO HABS GO

2. This is the “complain like a baby” ..”trade monger” …no common sense blog!

3. YES HJ readem and weep i said 4 goals in a row for habs and pull the goalie…like you readem and whine more!

4. STANDING OVATION !…they got one!..good for them…Rangers palying good hockey too..lets not take it away from all good players…PLAYOFF type hockey!

5. hEY guy’s,shut the f@ck up I’m trying to watch the game,lol

6. LOL i like that !

7. ICING!!!!! wha wah!..19 seconds!

8. #8 habsalltheway says:
    February 19, 2008 at 11:06 pm

No matter what happens this will be a victory.. shows that no matter what or how far back they will not give up

February 19, 2008 at 11:09 pm

I got goose bumps ! I love being a Habs fan !!

10. #10 habsalltheway says:
    February 19, 2008 at 11:14 pm

COME ON HUET !!!!!

11. #11 habsalltheway says:
    February 19, 2008 at 11:14 pm

I KNOW HAVE A FULL HEAD OF GRAY HAIR..

February 19, 2008 at 11:16 pm

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!

February 19, 2008 at 11:17 pm

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

14. #14 habsalltheway says:
    February 19, 2008 at 11:17 pm

YESSS GO HABS GO

15. #15 habsalltheway says:
    February 19, 2008 at 11:18 pm

Hell of a come back..best i seen in ever

16. #16 habsalltheway says:
    February 19, 2008 at 11:19 pm

OTT is on OT hope they loose then were “ON TOP OF THE WORLD” LOL
    GO HABS GO

17. I apologize guys for my rants. But c’mon when has this ever happened before. In future, I’ll wait till the game is over before I rant. ok? sorry.
    I’m overwhelmed. can’t believe it. I’m sure none of you expected the habs to come back, right?

February 19, 2008 at 11:20 pm

It had never been done ever in their entire history … from 5 – 0 to a WIN

OMG ! thats all OMG !

19. HJ..quote..”i knew we would lose”..now wake the F*&&K up! …im sick of your complaining!…read what i said…then get back to me!

20. Oooooh Ya baby!!!!!!!Unf@ckenbelievable, GOOOOO HABS…..

21. #21 habsalltheway says:
    February 19, 2008 at 11:21 pm

No way… I thought it was over and was just watching to see if things would get out of hand …..LAST THING I THOUGHT WOULD HAPPEN

22. Apologies excepted…we won and we ahould be very very proud..thanks to RYDER and KOIVU!..yes…build it and they will come..lets never complain or bitch about Carboneau anymore..i told you guyz he very smart and Gainey is very Kewl!

We should be proud and wear are jerseys tommorow!

23. #23 habsalltheway says:
    February 19, 2008 at 11:24 pm

OTT in shoot out tied 1-1 in SO…

24. #24 habsalltheway says:
    February 19, 2008 at 11:24 pm

OTT wins

February 19, 2008 at 11:25 pm

I will be wearing mine to work, I always do after a big game and before a big game LOL … Well when it is Boston I do because I have a co worker who I play mind games with he is a Boston fan … but tommorow the RED WHITE AND BLUE !!!

26. #26 jack hab says:
    February 19, 2008 at 11:29 pm

Unfortunately, my dad (who’s also a hab fan) has been really sick lately.
    I’ve spent most of my time this past month coming and going from hospitals.
    Like my dad (who’s getting stronger every day and will be home next week) this
    team is pretty !@#$%^ RESILIENT!!!!! WAY TO GO!!!!!

Couldn’t catch the game, yet again, but the score says it all!!!!!!

February 19, 2008 at 11:30 pm

I wish you all the best for your Dad !

28. All fellow hab fans I’m sorry for getting pissed off, I couldn’t be any more happier. I went to the washroom and it went from 5-2 to 5-4 and I almost fainted! I was almost happy crying when they won. Look out for a huge winning streak now!!! :) Don’t trade Ryder! If your going to get someone trade a prospect or a pick! We don’t need Hossa, just a good Face off man maybe. Either a little change or nothing! Go Habs Go!!!!

29. #29 jack hab says:
    February 19, 2008 at 11:37 pm

Thank you Don Carnage!

30. #30 habsalltheway says:
    February 19, 2008 at 11:45 pm

i think you are right we only need a great face off guy and maybe a fighter that can play a bit too other then that we don’t want to change the chemistry to much. I think a guy like ROY from TB would do the job and Perreault from CHI,they would not cost much and the latter would add experience to the team.

31. Imagine how the rangers feel? remember when we lost to them a couple of weeks ago, up by 3 goals. It almost destroyed us. I think NY will now go on a losing streak, because it’s a devastating loss for them, but who cares? we won, and that’s all that counts. I really want to see this game again. I watched on MSG and those guys are such homers, and even belittled hab fans. so who is laughing now?

32. #32 jessef says:
    February 20, 2008 at 1:33 am

huet actually won a shootout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

33. #33 bossdj420 says:
    February 20, 2008 at 4:09 am

HOLY F&#%*!G CRAP!!! That was the best game I’ve seen in years! The fans stayed with them, the team kept their focus, and we pulled out with the biggest two points of the season! I work night shift so I’m already wearing my jersey! Yeaaaaahhh bitches!

Since moving to Toronto almost 10 years ago, I’ve had to put up with arrogant leafs nation. I converted my fiance from a family full of leaf fans to being a rabid habs fan. I even got her a Ryder jersey last year, and she was starting to feel ashamed to wear it to the games. We’re heading to Montreal for the game on Saturday and I told her she better wear it, because it may be the last time we’ll see Ryder in les Tricolores!

I really hope they keep Ryder! He’s a huge part of the team, great heart and impact when he gives 100%. Does anyone really think Hossa, Sundin or Tanguay will provide the same starting fresh on a team fighting for first in the East?

Anyway, good on the HABS and the fans at tonights game for sticking with them through the 5 Ranger goals and witnessing the biggest comeback in franchise history!

GO HABS GO!

34. I’m still in shock…….whatta f**kin win. Big game to step up and do this…..all heart and desire….2 things that have been on and off al year. For God’s sake, look at Kovy on the ice, smiling, laughing, talking with his teammates….we saw none of this last year…amazing how a guy can play when he’s having fun.
    Uh-oh…Ryder is showing signs of life, apparently just had to give him a little pep talk and keep him away from Koivu and Higgins…is he so easy to trade now, or just a bigger, better bargaining chip for Gainey? Like I said before, it would be a shame to see him go cuz this guy is far from finished…but if he has to go…c’est la vie I guess.
    Begin is even doing his part…now you have it Steve, don’t touch the puck, just hit…if he keeps this up, keep him in. We’re playing well down the stretch, when you need it most…this team is showing us a few things which are good to see at this point of the year.
    Great to see we have goalies who can back each other when one is having a bad night. This team is just having fun and playing like a full unit…finally. Did you see the celebration after the game…it was like they won the cup….we got a team who wants to play and win boys.
    Gainey is apparently one of the top GM’s in the wheelings and dealings of the deadline…so we’re getting someone, just a matter of who right now….gonna be interesting to see what he gives up for what he gets also. Personally, If one of em has to go, I’d like to see Higgins go before Ryder. It’s probably Ryder going anyways, so I’ll voice my opinion anyways….Higgins has only 14 more points and 8 more goals than Ryder…this after playing 10 more games and countless more minutes. Higgins is supposed to be a “point” producer too, who also haven’t been doing much all year….he should be just as expendable as Ryder…again, this is only my opinion.
    Anyways, Pit next…don’t get any easier…but I’m sure alot of you out there, like me, are having faith in this team again…haven’t felt this funny little feeling since 93…lets keep goin boys, everyone do their jobs the way you have been and we’re gonna have a nice ride to finish this year….GO HABS GO !!!

35. #35 BarrieHabFan says:
    February 20, 2008 at 12:46 pm

The difference being Donnie is that Ryder has a poor defensive game, whereas Higgins is a good defensive player and Ryder is a UFA at seasons end. I have no doubt that Ryder will turn it around, but I think it will be somewhere else. Ryder will not re-sign in Montreal.
    And, as great as the game was last night, you can’t base you’re opinion of a players value on one game or a handfull of games. Over the whole season Ryder has still been horrible at best and if Gainey can get a reliable top two line forward for Ryder he will. Sort of like how you can’t gauge Price and his value based on what he did last night.

36. #36 Donnie says:
    February 20, 2008 at 1:17 pm

Yeah, UFA is the main reason….you’re right….just saying what you agree with Barrie…..it’s a shame that Ryder could be a goal guy again and its not gonna be in Habtown…who knows, maybe Ryder is playing better these last few games because he’s happy to be moving, lol…anyways, I just hate to see him go.

February 20, 2008 at 4:05 pm

The day after !! The suspense is killing me … Who will it be ? When will it happen? The more I look at it the more I think Sundin might be exactly what Montreal needs , but at what cost, second choice Hossa , but something tells me we might all be shocked when it happens, always expect the unexpected !!!

In Bob we trust …

38. wish it was already trade day. the suspense is killing me. I pray we get an impact player. It would be really nice to beat out other teams for a great player. maybe now habs will start to get some of the respect they deserve, something missing for the last few years.

39. #39 BarrieHabFan says:
    February 20, 2008 at 8:00 pm

Thought this would be good for a laugh for those of you who don’t live in Leaf land. On the fan 590 today there was a discussion about the leafs and they were talking about their strengths going into next year. They determined that behind Brodeur there is no clear second best goaltender in the East but suggested that Toronto’s Toskala is probably the best goaltender behind Brodeur and maybe even in the league.
    All of you who don’t have to listen to the absolutely horrible leafland idiots, you are lucky. I remember listening at the start of the year to their asessments of the teams in Canada and had the Leafs as next to cup favourites and the habs were likely headed for 9th or 10th sopt at best. Then they said Montreals prospects were weak and Torontos were pretty good.
    So to all the Greg Millen, Bob Cole and Harry Neales of the world – f*%$ you!
    I don’t understand the french language but I now watch all my habs games on RDS as I can’t stand listening to all the morons on CBC, TSN, or any other Ontario station.

40. #40 groundworking says:
    February 20, 2008 at 9:26 pm

Same here Barrie. The Leafs live in a world where losing is perfectly acceptable. I feel bad for Leafs fans: they are good fans, good hockey people, and yet the management of the team aways knows less about hockey than your average Habsblog poster.

I love hearing the CBC guys get all worked up about players who MIGHT play on a third line at the peak of their career. That’s the beauty about us Habs fans–we hate losing, don’t tolerate it, and neither does the Habs management!!

Anyone notice what a classy bunch of fans were at the game last night? Down 5-0 and the fans were chearing them on. This team has hearned a bad loss. But last night, they refused to cash in the token.
    How can Ryder go to dominating a hockey game last night? He wasn’t lucky; he was dominant! Great game by Ryder. Let’s hope he’s got his confidence back. He’s a nice guy, and it would be nice to see him do well.

Even so, I still think they’ll trade him. He’s UFA at the end of the year and he won’t sign back after missing so many games this time around.

Great game! Unbelievable!

February 20, 2008 at 10:39 pm

As far as the east goes Brodeur,lundquist,dipietro,Huet,miller,vokoun just to name a few are all way better than toskala. The fan 590 are all a bunch of glue sniffers

42. #42 Ice Man says:
    February 20, 2008 at 10:54 pm

Actually, TSN is good to watch. They are pretty good.

43. #44 habsalltheway says:
    February 21, 2008 at 12:18 am

funny how if you go to sportsnet.ca they have the head line-
    “Senators, you have company” But they have nothing stating the fact that the habs also hold “TOP SPOT” in the East….. NO RESPECT FROM THEM What does the Habs have to do to get some head lines in the “CENTER OF THE HOCKEY WORLD”
    Even after last nights UNBELIVIBALE come back the hockey head line was how the LAFFS held points away from the BLUE Jackets.. At least TSN noticed how great a come back like that was….

44. The comeback is good but we’re forgetting that they gave up such a lead. Why was that allowed? Ryder is at best displaying some good results but all the more now to bring up his stock and see him on his way. This will only hold true for the next Ryder who decides to put his efforts on the bench. If only he had been scoring throughout the year, this would have been a different picture. Yes we need some toughness and yes we still need a 1st line centre or power forward. Even a guy like Dan Boyle couldn’t hurt. Sort of bring back the grit of Souray with better defensive skills.

This was just one game and if it had ended up 6-1 well then recall this same thing with Ottawa….weren’t too happy then! So instead of preaching Stanley Cup…(sure would be nice!!), let them play and earn our support but that’s a whole 60 minutes game. The trend is the Jeckyl & Hyde syndrome and this is not the consistent strong team we want (at least it can develop into it, just missing a couple of pieces). Brad Richards could fit the bill but he’s too expensive. Would Sundin fit in? He could but he also does the vanishing act like Kovalev (not as often – next season is signing contract time – it fascinating why these Russians have this knack of turning it around just prior to signing….Ryder sure misses this lesson!) could be a strong unit, depends on what the Leafs want. Antropov would be a good acquisition at what cost?

Anyways take the points and move on!!

February 21, 2008 at 10:29 am

Lapresse has printed that Hossa is in Streit and Ryder out

46. My guess is……forget about Sundin….I’m sure he would fit, a big 1st line center who is tough with the puck and can score, this is what we want, but Fletcher wants too much for him…I’m sure you’ve seen the footage where he said he was offered a couple of rowboats for a luxury liner….so what does he want? Price with a couple more of our impact players right now? Not worth tearing down the infrastructure of a team thats winning to sign Sundin…forget about him.
    Ironically enough Tanguay is doing exactly what Ryder is….coming on hard these last couple of games at the same time as Ryder…..this would probably be a more realistc deal assuming Tanguay waives his no-trade and suddenly decides he wants to play in Montreal….2 players who have performed less than magical for their respective teams this season…but will it happen?
    Hossa is a good trade offensively (on paper)….this guy can hit dormant streaks also, like he’s doing now….with no Kovalchuk in the lineup its hard to perform I’m sure, but a player of his calibre should be able to….so if we get him, which Hossa is gonna show up?
    I like Jokinen depending of course what Florida wants…a center who has scored every year of his career….he’s gotta be tired of same ol same ol in Florida…maybe a playoff run is what he needs to rise to that next level, but are we even looking at him?
    So who’s coming…you’re right guys, it’s gonna be interesting…kinda like Christmas as a kid waiting for that day to come…but one thing we can agree on, if Gainey says on national TV that he’s looking for an impact player, we’re gonna have one….question is who and at what cost? GO HABS GO !!!

47. Habs equipment manager has admitted ordering equipment for Hossa, BUT cautions that this is done from time to time if a deal is close in case there is a hurry to get the acquired player in the line up.

also…this has escalated to some ( presumably) seeing Hossa at Dorval.

go figure….just what I’m reading this morning.

February 21, 2008 at 11:50 am

Yes they must be close to a deal if they have ordered his stuff, things look good and with Hossa they would look even better … can’t see how this would not work out to be a good move.

In Bob we trust !

49. #50 Ice Man says:
    February 21, 2008 at 1:31 pm

We don’t need anymore Europeans on this team We need some good ole Fashion Canadian Boys.