Defining Moments

• There is no better example than the progress of the Montreal Canadiens than their games against the New Jersey Devils.

Everyone is aware the New Jersey Devils have traditionally owned the Canadiens in every sense of the word. The Canadiens very seldom beat New Jersey, and coming into this season had a road record in New Jersey among the worst in hockey history.

After their first trip to the Prudential Center it looked as if nothing would change. The Devils and Martin Brodeur handed them a painfully ugly 4-0 shutout loss.

The next trip to NJ seemed would have a similar end with the Canadiens down 3-1 heading into the third against a stingy NJ defence.

Then something happened that never happens. The Canadiens unleashed 3 third period goals against Martin Brodeur in New Jersey, and completed a historic come back.

The turning point of the Canadiens year, and perhaps the turning point of their 15 years of mediocrity.

The Canadiens didn’t look back from there. Climbing their way up to the top of the Conference with other inconceivable moments like the largest come from behind win in Canadiens history. A shocking 5 goal comeback win against the Rangers.

The next meeting with New Jersey with 1st place in the Conference on the line. Another Canadiens win and the Montreal Canadiens at the peak of the Conference. Another defining moment.

That brings tonight’s final regular season meeting with the Devils. First place in the Conference on the line yet again.

A win tonight would give the Canadiens the season series against the Devils for the first time since the ’92-93 season. The year of their last Stanley Cup.

Whatever happens tonight, these games against the Devils will be looked back on as the changing of the guard. The mediocre Habs of old, to the next generation of Montreal Canadiens hockey.

1. #1 Softouch says:
    March 11, 2008 at 4:59 pm

Well said …

March 11, 2008 at 5:31 pm

Here Here !!!

GO HABS GO !! GO HABS GO !! GO HABS GO !!

3. #3 hablifer says:
    March 11, 2008 at 7:13 pm

Plekanec took part in the warm up skate, so hopefully he’s playing.

4. Go Habs Go come on Pleks,TAKE SOME MEDICINE WE NEED YOU!!! NJ is missing their 2 best D men

We’re are going to kick the sens asses on Thursday and now If we win this it should last a while!

5. #5 gottaHABIT says:
    March 11, 2008 at 8:17 pm

Really good intro..whoever placed it…nice reminder and Montreal has at least on win in every decade scince hockey began..2 more years to keep it going..this Price fella makes some serious saves..wow..and some good new guys there,,,GO HABS!

6. #6 habman says:
    March 11, 2008 at 8:19 pm

whats up stuo11..you get the game ?lol…i dint know you spoke french .seeing you on that all”frenchie site”…lol me..im drinking a beer and rolling a “fattie” after having a big deer steak!..MMM it was good..

March 11, 2008 at 9:06 pm

3-0 vs Brodeur and that after 2 periods …. OH YEAH BABY OH YEAH BABY !!

8. #8 Ice Man says:
    March 11, 2008 at 9:18 pm

Groovt Baby. Yeah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. #9 Ice Man says:
    March 11, 2008 at 9:19 pm

That should read “GROOVY BABY. YEAH”

10. #10 Habman says:
    March 11, 2008 at 9:50 pm

You Ryder and Koivu trade mongers!…eat your words..you know who you are!

11. #11 Habman says:
    March 11, 2008 at 9:50 pm

trade my ass!

March 11, 2008 at 9:54 pm

Well there it is … we are #1 in the east and with a shutout and 4 goals against Brodeur …. it does not get much better than this … and did you hear that crowd roar for over 1 minute and 30 seconds!!!! Montreal is the meca of Hockey … period .

March 11, 2008 at 9:55 pm

oh wait PS: The lafs lost … it just got better HAHAHAHAHA!!!

14. #14 Chris says:
    March 11, 2008 at 10:06 pm

The only thing more ridiculous than badly aimed Maple Leafs hatred is incorrect Leafs hatred – I’m watching the game live now and their heading into overtime at 3-3, no one has lost anything yet. They’re also outshooting the Flyers 51-23 at this point.

Big congrats to Carey and company on a beautiful win tonight!

15. #15 hablifer says:
    March 11, 2008 at 10:06 pm

leafs didn’t lose. check the score 3-3 going into OT.

16. P L A Y O F F S

17. #17 LeBeau says:
    March 11, 2008 at 10:10 pm

Laffs haven’t lost yet…it’s a tie game.

I would like to officially say that I was wrong. I’ve always been a big fan of Price, but have said from the beginning of the season that he should’ve been #1 for the Bulldogs this year for conditioning. He’s proven me wrong. I didn’t see tonight’s game, but 38 saves for the shut-out in such an important game? I think he can handle the pressure. I’m eating my words…someone pass me the “Hamilton”…

March 11, 2008 at 10:12 pm

LOL was wishfull thinking …. guess they will get a point out of it ..

19. #19 Chris says:
    March 11, 2008 at 10:14 pm

4-3 Leafs genius.

March 11, 2008 at 10:18 pm

Who care Chris … no one except you a Laffs fan for sure … I said it was wishfull thinking asswipe

21. #21 Chris says:
    March 11, 2008 at 10:32 pm

I’m not a Leafs fan at all, I’m quite committed to the Habs. I do tend to cheer on the other five Canadian teams, in no particular order, when it doesn’t directly affect my Canadiens. What I do care about is arbitrary and useless hatred which tends to disrupt the flow of decent hockey talk on this and other blogs and forums.

For the record, saying “wishfull (sic) thinking) after claiming a falsehood to be true doesn’t absolve you – and I’m not an asswipe :)

March 11, 2008 at 10:55 pm

Dude no one cares get a clue all ready …

23. #23 Brock says:
    March 11, 2008 at 11:50 pm

Unbelievable!

I was at the game up in the nosebleeds. (you gotta love the ghetto seats) hehe.

Yeah the last 2 minutes of the game it was crazy loud. We were chanting Ole Ole Ole and Na Na Na Na and Carey! Carey!
    It was getting drowned out with all the cheers and applause!

This was definitely a statement game.
    Carey was just awesome.
    Defence played well.
    And we won even without pleks line scoring.

Great game guys!

24. #24 Brock says:
    March 11, 2008 at 11:58 pm

BTW anyone else notice we are tied for first in GF in the league with 227?

Hossa who? Thank you pittsburgh for overpaying for him.

25. Before I post my comment, I might as well get it out there. I’m Huet fan. I didn’t (and still don’t) think they should have traded him, and I think they’d be stronger with him over the playoff stretch. I also think that the way they dismissed him was disgraceful (no notice, no appreciation, nothing).

That being said, I can’t say enough about Price stepping up to the plate. He’s been fantastic ever since he’s stepped in, and has been everything that could have been asked of him. Before he took over I was definitely one of the doubters (and yes, I was one of the guys on here saying he couldn’t do it). Well, I am happy to say that he has more than proven me wrong. I maintain that everyone who ragged on Huet was unjustified, but I’m happy to admit that the Price supporters had more behind their claim than I thought, and I’m sorry I doubted this phenomenon.. Despite what I thought was an extremely ungracious handling of the situation, it appears that Gainey has yet again been proven right in appointing Carey Price a number one goalie, and, contrary to what I once though, what I have seen lately tells me that he is capable of carrying the Habs into the playoffs, and deep.

So here’s to my favourite team, the Habs, led be their stellar goaltender! And, on a more personal note, here’s to my favourite player, Cristobal Huet, leading his team to a playoff berth (unlikely? Of course. But as long as it’s possible, I hope)! GO HABS GO and HIP HIP HUET!

26. #26 Ice Man says:
    March 12, 2008 at 8:01 am

Huet Who?

Oh, is that the sub-parGoalie the Habs got rid of for a bag of pucks? Great trade….

27. Toronto is not gonna make it. But don’t tell the leafs thaT! They’re going to come 9th and get an averaged draft pick, just another Tlusty. lol

28. #28 habsofthefuture says:
    March 12, 2008 at 9:28 am

GO HABS GO

PRICE is tied with Huet for SV% and 26th in the league for goals against not to shaby for a guy who is just starting to fire on all cylinders.Way to go boyz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. #29 Donnie says:
    March 12, 2008 at 9:50 am

Other than Price’s stellar shutout performance, it’s so promising to see, not only, even strength goals being scored, but, even strength goals being scored by players other than Kovy and his linemates.
    Even strength goals, secondary scoring, and great goaltending……great combination of weapons to have in your lineup at this time of year.
    Also, so great to see the Devs curse being lifted as such…we can now play future games against this team, not having an outcome all but decided before the drop of the puck. But guys, this is no time to slow down…keep the game faces on…cuz we still have one more GIANT hurdle to leap and curse to break….and this test is gonna happen 3 more times in the 11 games remaining.
    Assuming everyone knows what I’m talking about…these final 3 games against the Sens are not only games to try and shake the hold that these guys have over us…more than likely, the outcome of these games are going to determine a 1-2 or a 4-5 finish for us.
    But ya know what….I finally think we’re ready, ready to go to battle with this foe who has topped us so many times in the past. Everything is looking great…if we can just keep up this brand of hockey we’re playing and don’t let Heatley and Spezza run the show every time they’re on the ice. We’re pulling together at the right time, and now, when looking at the very good possiblity of the first eastern conference champion banner being raised to the rafters in a long time, there’s no greater boost our guys need to get up for these games and come out flying. GO HABS GO !!!

30. I really hope we come 1st so the Habs can knock off the Philedelphia Flyers!!!

31. #31 Christopher says:
    March 12, 2008 at 2:52 pm

Good afternoon fans

Wow what a convincing win last night!! We are over coming fetas not seen since our last cup run of 1993, coincidnce….hmmm i guess the playoffs shall tell us where we will finish at year end. But is the season is any predictor so far….we should be play well into June at this rate.

How interesting would it be if the Leafs manage to squeek into the playoffs and we finish first in the east. We would finally play these Laughs in the playoffs for the first time in decades…. That would be icing on the cake for me…to see us sweep those Laughable Leafs!

32. #32 Habman says:
    March 12, 2008 at 3:19 pm

Well im officially a blogger here…anyway..i think it takes guts to stay in T.O…as much as i don’t like Tucker..he stayed with Sundin and others that would like to go to “greener pastures”..and it takes “balls’ to go with 5 rookies and dump your #1 goal tender…If this didn’t pan out Gainey and Carbo would have gotten their arse kicked by MR.Gillette..OWNER OF MONTREAL HABS!!!!

33. #33 Habman says:
    March 12, 2008 at 3:20 pm

By the way…AMERICA OWNS US!!!..sad to say that!

34. #34 Ice Man says:
    March 12, 2008 at 3:22 pm

Hey Habman:

How’s it going Dude?

No Hard feeling eh.

35. #35 rgillis says:
    March 12, 2008 at 4:06 pm

I personally would love us to play Boston or Philly, Boston more than anyone of course, cause Thomas and Auld are just terrible. Biron is not that much better but Philly is right behind us with the #2 PP in the league so that scares me a little bit. I mean i am sure that Price can handle both but the easier first round for a rookie goalie the better (in my opinion).

The only team i think that we don’t want to see first round is Buffalo, they have alot to prove and if they get in then they are going to really give any team a really hard time. Miller is a tough playoff goalie.

Now with all that being said, i know that the Habs can beat all the teams in the Eastern Conference, noone can match up to them, except for NJ, but we won the series this year which is a huge boost for confidence.

Anyway, i don’t blog much, but Go Habs Go!!!!!

Lets go through them all and win a Cup for Canada this year, tired of seeing it go South!!

36. #36 Senet 1 says:
    March 12, 2008 at 5:59 pm

Hey CM, I respect that fact that you are a Huet fan, however, as I stated earlier back at the trade deadline, we had to trade him and there were very few teams who wanted him. He was a UFA end of the year and he would not have signed with us because he knew that Price would be #1 coming into next year. Price has been groomed for the playoffs this year to give him the experience he needed for next year. Now it appears we may be in the running for the cup this year which is even better. Gainey could not afford to complete loose Huet and get nothing for him. Even a 2nd rounded could prove to be a great player if we get lucky.

I do not feel that the Habs treated Huet badly, after all he had not been with the organization that long. However, as I said earlier I respect your feelings, we should all feel that strongly about our favourite players.

37. #37 Senet 1 says:
    March 12, 2008 at 6:03 pm

Hey Christopher, be careful of what you wish for, we all know that the leafs are not as good as our habs, but there is one thing I have learned over the years, the leafs play their best hockey against us and for some reason we sometimes take them for granted. So lets not run that team down too much if they had a decent defence, a good goalie and some good forwards they would be a great team just like us!!!

38. #38 Habman says:
    March 12, 2008 at 9:38 pm

Any body watch the T.O -Philly game…Dave hodge..says it all…the two Healthiest teams are Montreal and Calgary..with the likes of Kovalev ,Markov..and a few others(played all games so far), its paramount we stay healthy…teams that stay healthy usually go farther, Dave Hodge has been in this game a lot Longer than most of us were alive..and I stand behind 100%…it will nice to have choices come playoffs time, but more important to stay healthy….T.O just beat Philly, Washington only 5 points behind also for 8th..scary stuff if Washington makes it…
    Peace!
    No hard feelings iceman..lets all get along here..

39. #39 Habman says:
    March 12, 2008 at 9:41 pm

rgillis…good points..i dint know phillly had a P.P.that good…And Miller..well say no more..i get the creeps thinking how that guy thinks in net..kinda like luongo..great goalies…

40. #40 Habman says:
    March 12, 2008 at 9:42 pm

See you boyz tomorrow..don’t forget to get beer!…lol

41. #41 Habman says:
    March 12, 2008 at 9:53 pm

Oh yeah..its 5 -2 Pitt over buffalo..Miller got “pulled”..lol..hes still ok..just a bad time to put him on a pedastile!…lol…

42. Yo Habman bro,where’s the woman bloggers you said, you were going to get for shisle,lol?

43. #43 Habman says:
    March 12, 2008 at 11:16 pm

I met a couple of chics yesterday at the bar..i got hammered, forgot to get them to come online..hard to find “French lovers” in western canada..they all Edmonton or Calgary fans…I just opened my mouth about louongo..and they “pulled” him in the second against Anaheim ..I am having a bad call day!..lol..anyway.. HOW LOW CAN LOUONGO GO?????
    My T.V is a Samsung..so if Samsung a song, what kind of song did Samsung sing? Ok I am going tot the doc tomorrow to get this cabin fever checked out!!!

44. #44 rgillis says:
    March 13, 2008 at 10:22 am

i was just looking at some stats, and the most interesting to me is that Montreal has the 3 least amount of losses this year as of this point. Only San Jose (21) and Detroit (18) lost less.

I just thought that was an interesting stat.

45. Dear Lord…please let the standings stay as they are right now……I know it would be nice to stuff our tongues in our cheeks if we got first BUT…if they stay this way we’re looking at:

pitt / philly

mtl / boston

carolina / rangers

devils / sens

wow….I mean..WOW. Every series has grudge implications…unreal.

46. No Neil,no problamo!!!Another big W FOR LE TRICOLOUR!! leafs/golfcourse…lol

47. This would be good guys- PHI- MTL and Boston to come 6th so they’ll knock off Carolina and Montreal will knock out Philly and Boston and then go against Pittsburgh in the conference Finals. That would be an easy road.

48. #48 hablifer says:
    March 13, 2008 at 12:24 pm

In order to have a shot at 1st place in our division and overall, we have to beat the sens, a feat we haven’t been able to do. Forget the game when half their team was injured. If we can’t get that monkey off our back, forget 1st place. remember the last time we played them. they were up 3-0 before the game was 3 minutes old. I want to beat them soundly, so that embarrassment can be erased!

49. #49 habman says:
    March 13, 2008 at 3:38 pm

Its crunch time for some hungry teams here..im just glad we are not risking “life and limb’ to make the final spot…Vancouver is desperate..now Ohlunds gone for the season..imagine if Komisarek got hurt..or Kovalev?..think about it..we can use a bit of discretion and reluctance because we are not desperate..you are going to see a lot of injuries on lower half and drowning teams…again..i will say it again/HEALTHY teams go FARTHER in PLAYOFFS!!!!!!
    hands down..no two ways about it..we stay healthy…we go to conference final!!! P.S PREDICTION….BIRON WILL BE HERE TO KICK SOME ASS IF THINGS GET OUT OF HAND! (or at least someone to team up with KOMI if they get”chinsy”)
    Gainey know this!!!!

50. #50 Christopher says:
    March 13, 2008 at 3:39 pm

Lets hope we have Boston in the first round of the playoffs. I mean we have absolutely owned them all year long, and we are all familiar with how badly we upset them in the playoffs when our standing were reversed.

I cannot wait for the playoffs to start!!!