Eastern Playoff Race

• The Canadiens have 16 games remaining and find themselves in a very familiar spot, battling for 8th place.

The Canadiens have been consistently finishing in the same area for the past few years so why should we be so surprised?

After the deadline moves you have to like the chances of Pittsburgh and the Islanders at remaining in the 5th-7th range.

That leaves 8th spot up for grabs with the Habs, Thrashers, Hurricanes and Leafs with a legitimate chance.

What is also interesting is the battle for 1st, with the injury riddled Sabres only 3 points ahead of the Devils.

Should the Canadiens finish 8th and the Devils first we might as well just declare a Devils sweep already. The chances the Canadiens beat Brodeur and the Devils in the playoffs is virtually non existant.

Out of the top 3 in the East, the Canadiens have played best against the Sabres beating them a handful of times. For whatever reason, the Canadiens play better against the Sabres.

A 1st vs 8th or 2nd vs 7th Sabres matchup might be the thing to hope for.

A lot can change from here until the end of the season, the Habs are only 3 points shy of 5th place although they’ve played more games.

Assuming the Habs make the playoffs, which team do you believe they would have the best chance against?

1. #1 smiler2729 says:
    March 1, 2007 at 1:20 pm

I think New Jersey will finish ahead of Buffalo only cuz of the Sabres’ injuries but I expect the Sabres to go further in the playoffs than the Devils’ one man show.

I figure Atlanta to drop out of the top 8 and the Isles to make it in as well as the Penguins and of course, Ottawa.

I believe the Canadiens will get their shit together and qualify much to the dismay of many on this blog who seem to only want Montreal to fail so they can continue crying and whining about underachieving players and Bob Gainey.

March 1, 2007 at 1:22 pm

I hope we play the devils.At this point we have nothing to lose.An upset over the devils would be more of a confidence boost than one over buffalo.In reality though it doesnt really matter.

March 1, 2007 at 1:27 pm

It would be nice if this post could stay on topic on the playoff race instead of getting into management and gainey.Lets just drop it.Everyone has said their peace.

4. #4 johnnyhab says:
    March 1, 2007 at 1:43 pm

a match up with Buffalo would be the only way to go for the first round. The Habs play Buffalo very well and if we can beat the Sabers in round one it could boost the team for a good playoff run as long as we dont face Jersey!!!
    Brodeur steps it up a notch even for him every time he plays Montreal. our only hope with a Devils match up would be their over confidence in beating the habs.

Go Habs Go

5. #5 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 1, 2007 at 2:02 pm

Well we made it through a nerve racking trade deadline and the Tuesday morning hang-over aftermath and now we’re off to the play-off races!

I feel rejuvenated and I hope to see the intense hockey level we witnessed in the Toronto game! Although, we do play 3 back to back games in March with the next 7 of 10 on the road, which works out to be a grueling schedule since we’re not having much luck with those back to back matches. Many think we have it easy compared to our Eastern brethren playing a bunch of teams under 500, but no games can be taken lightly! We need to surge at the right time and we are due.

Go Habs GO

6. #6 R habs 4 real says:
    March 1, 2007 at 2:10 pm

Just so you guys know, I didn’t write post #252, under Habs trade day. I copied it off of ” Canadiens trade rumours”. I’m just the messenger, but I do agree with most of it.
    As far as making the playoffs is concerned, I don’t think we’re going to have to worry about who we play, because we won’t make the playoffs. It’s not that I’m trying to be negative, but rather that I’m a realist!
    here are my reasons: a)we simply don’t have good enough goaltending, b) We don’t have the horses to compete with vastly superior teams than us, c) the schedule for our remaining games, is very difficult, not to mention the fact that 9 of our remaining games are on the road, and our road record is not very good, d) the habs don’t show up in enough games, no matter how important they are. Is it really worth it to squeeze into 8th place, only to be eliminated by the Devils or Sabres in 4 straight? Do you think Halak or Aebishit will save?
    Please guys, think with your head and not with your heart!
    THE MOST IMPORTANT ELEMENT IN BOTH MAKING THE PLAYOFFS,AND WINNING IN THE PLAYOFFS, IS GOALTENDING! COULD OURS BE ANY WORSE THAN WHAT IT IS NOW?
    NO! NO! NO!

7. #7 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 1, 2007 at 2:44 pm

Goaltending – Yeah we could have a $7 million dollar back-up? :)

8. #8 smiler2729 says:
    March 1, 2007 at 3:27 pm

Watch as Alex Kovalev steps it up cuz this is his favourite time and if he shines then maybe Sergei Samsonov gets it going too from under the spotlight of scutiny… The Habs need these guys to fly.
    I’m not scared of any opponent especially New Jersey cuz we are due against those snoozefesters.

9. #9 chitownhabsfan says:
    March 1, 2007 at 3:43 pm

With Les Joueurs Du Tricolore reliance on an excellent goalie [always being outshot, taking periods off, taking too many penalties, poor pairing/combination of defencemen, no apparent plan or ability to sucessfuly and consistently get out of the defensive zone]and realizing Les Glorieux no longer have one due to the injury to Huet, it will be tee time for everyone after April 7th.

Should La Sainte Flanelle somehow make the play-offs, I want them to play the Devils. Prior to the series there is a need to perform a heavy duty focused video review of the Devils in order to find out how other teams, when playing them and are behind by one or two goals, turn it around and win. Given this type of effort, even though we lose the series, will become knowledgeable about what it takes to beat the Devils and carry that information forward into the following season. Is that too much to hope for from Le Club De Hockey Canadien??

In addition, Carbo and the coaching staff need the experience, badly and the rooks can return to Hamilton and vie for the AHL Calder Cup.

10. #10 Joshtm says:
    March 1, 2007 at 3:43 pm

What people forget is that some of the teams have now changed, last year with the trades, some of the teams that made great trades had a great finish.

11. #11 Rob says:
    March 1, 2007 at 4:05 pm

Whoa, Habsblog.

Did you miss your antidepressant today? Where is the optomism that I was talking about!

Get into the playoffs and it is a whole new season! Montreal played the Stanley Cup winner last year, and came within a Justin Williams’ high stick of pulling that series out.

Did you pick Edmonton (an eighth place team) to make the finals last year? As much as Joshtm would like to see the Habs fail so he can gain more momentum in his personal, character assasination campaign against Bob Gainey, we all have to believe that the Habs will actually start living up to their potential as a team. Blaming one person is pathetic (as is whining!)

We all have to really stop listening to Joshtm. Hopefully, he will start realizing that there is no gold in them thar hills and throw out his Steve Penney hockey card collection.

12. #12 R habs 4 real says:
    March 1, 2007 at 4:23 pm

Rob: The only reason the habs won 2 games in the series vs Carolina, was due to horrible goaltending from Gerber(the same way Aebishit plays).
    And after they replaced Gerber in the 3rd game, we lost 4 straight!
    And remember, we had Huet then! Look at this team: WE DON’T HAVE THE HORSES NECESSARY TO WIN IN THE PLAYOFFS! AND WHERE’S THE GOALTENDING?
    Do you think Aebishit or that minor leaguer Leighton are going to make the big saves? You’re dreaming in technicolor. It’s now timw to WAKE UP!

13. #13 Iceberg14 says:
    March 1, 2007 at 4:31 pm

is huet gone for the play-offs too??????????????????? i thought he was just gone for the reg season….maybe they just said that so that the last few fans didn’t give up on this garbage team and awful coaching and terrible management…still love the habs, but it’s embarrassing

14. #14 I am Canadien says:
    March 1, 2007 at 5:04 pm

All due respect R Habs 4 Real, the reason why we lost in the Carolina series was because of Koivu going down. Otherwise the Habs would have taken that series.

15. #15 R habs 4 real says:
    March 1, 2007 at 5:28 pm

I am Canadian: You are dead wrong! You don’t win series because of 1 player! And remember, they lost 4 GAMES IN A ROW! Oh BTW, how many goals did Koivu score last year? I know it was under 20 goals. Yeah, real big loss. hahahaha.
    When are you delusional people going to see the truth? i guess if you want to hynotize yourself into believing that the team was so great last year, how come they finished in 7th place, or was it 8th place? That’s normal for this bottom pf the barrel team.
    I find on this blog, realists like me, and there’s the look thru the rose colored glasses fans,( who despite not finishing above 7th place, every year),
    who believe this a such a great team. When are you people goig to wise up? Maybe Gainey has brainwashed somew of you, but not me. I can see right thru him, and his alterior motives.

16. #16 smiler2729 says:
    March 1, 2007 at 5:35 pm

*Yawn!* Same old song from the same old whiners… Guess you didn’t get my point.

Brainwashed by Gainey… rose coloured glasses… Koivu scored less than 20 goals… blah.. blah… blaaaaaaahhhhh.

I’m so sick of the negativity.

Dude, we ALL realize what’s going down with this mediocre, rebuilding team, it’s just that we WILL continue to CHEER for our boys no matter because WE ARE TRUE BLEU BLANC et ROUGE unlike you and the other naysayers…

Again… *yawn*

You’re really… boring us.

March 1, 2007 at 5:35 pm

It takes more than 2 years to take the team from where it has been now for 14 years to the top, the team will change again next year and we can see the young players that are waiting their turn, I love how people just complain all the time , its too eay to complain all the time.

18. #18 smiler2729 says:
    March 1, 2007 at 5:41 pm

Back to the Playoff race talk:

I’m sure most of us have either Centre Ice or Satellite so what games are we into tonight? I gotta watch St.Louis at the Island and hope the now very young Blues stun the Isles. Plus, I wanna see how Ryan Smyth fits into New York.

19. #19 R habs 4 real says:
    March 1, 2007 at 5:51 pm

I guess some people just can’t stand the truth. enjoy last place!
    Hope the golf clubs are ready!

March 1, 2007 at 6:16 pm

Right last place your on crack right we will finish in last? Get a life

21. #21 R habs 4 real says:
    March 1, 2007 at 6:31 pm

Get a good team!

22. #22 Habz4EveR says:
    March 1, 2007 at 6:48 pm

hey lets just see what the habby’s do and stop pickering. We all know the team ain’t the best so let’s just stop repeating it over and over and over…

23. #23 smiler2729 says:
    March 1, 2007 at 6:57 pm

Hey if we finish last, I’m still a fan… can you say that?

P.S. I don’t golf.

24. #24 4habs2009 says:
    March 1, 2007 at 7:20 pm

Yabadabadoo! i’m waiting for the 2009 version, in english only, please.

25. #25 4habs2009 says:
    March 1, 2007 at 7:22 pm

ok. so we win 9 out of our last 16 games. Will that be good enough?

26. #26 imbroke says:
    March 1, 2007 at 8:25 pm

Oh ye of little faith….look at last year the much vaunted whiners backed into the playoffs due to the nuckleheads poor play…look how far they dragged there sorry a**’s, and as I recall the series before that a eighth place team struggled all the way to within a goal of the prize. With hockeys new preety boy rules anyone can win, all you gotta do is get in there…..

sont la canadien

27. #27 imbroke says:
    March 1, 2007 at 8:29 pm

Oh ye of little faith….look at last year the much vaunted whiners backed into the playoffs due to the nuckleheads poor play…look how far they dragged there sorry a**’s, and as I recall the series before that a eighth place team struggled all the way to within a goal of the prize. With hockeys new pretty boy rules anyone can win, all you gotta do is get in there…..

sont la canadien

28. #28 Rob says:
    March 1, 2007 at 8:48 pm

Geezzzzzuuuuussss! It’s a damn good thing that the Habs are playing most of their last 16 games on the road to escape the negativity and slew footing of their supposed hometown fans. Maybe one of the goaltenders can gain their confidence back on the road without the extreme pressures at home. Thanks for being in a playoff position (3 points out of fifth place) , you bunch of millionaire hose bags!

That’s class, guys. Really! You are all probably all the same losers who jeered Sidney Crosby the last time that he was in Montreal. By the way, did you notice what happened to Aaron Downey for his lack of class in that whole ordeal? Gainey shows his class in subtle ways. Shut up and stop your whining! It’s enough… There is a playoff race on!

This team in Montreal is onto something. Building a team from the gound up takes time. There is no help from UFAs or trade deadline rentals.

The next time the Habs drink champagne from Lord Stanley’s mug will be that much sweeter because it didn’t come easy. Why can’t the rest of you even see that.

Get into the playoffs and anything can happen. You gotta believe it.

29. #29 softouch says:
    March 1, 2007 at 9:16 pm

Greetings Habs fans … just wanted to add my 2 cents … Habs have a good nucleus starting from Gainey on down … but Carbo has made some mistakes in his first year (2 “hands” guys on the same line for far too long??? Putting Abby in too often?? and dis-respecting Rivet??) and some of the key leaders have not been there (Koivu, Ryder) to do what was expected, and waaaaaay toooo mannnny penalties for the whole year … having said the obvious, Halak is the key to the play-off trip until Huet (if) he gets back in action … so odds are less than 50% here on in, but the future is looking good because Gainey knows …

30. I’ve been a Habs fan for, well most of you were swimming in your daddy’s nut sack, that includes a lot of you middle aged M.F. And even though the Habs will always be my team and the next 16 games will be fun,our Habs are not gonna make the playoffs. But on a brighter note,next year you will see a huge improvement in team performance .And for those Fans who are blaming other fans for the teams play,your so ridiculous you make me laugh!

31. #31 R habs 4 real says:
    March 1, 2007 at 10:08 pm

You’re so right Xhabsfan. We’re all fans,but geez we get tired of losing, right? And I’ve watched this team for more years than I care to mention. But I’m so jealous of other better teams that made changes, and we stayed pat.
    I want us to have a great team with lots of talent.
    why can’t they play 60 minutes of hockey? WE JUST WANT TO SEE THE EFFORT EVERY NIGHT. IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK FOR? If they give their 100%, and lose, I can live with that. But after watching the games against the rangers on Tuesday, I was so upset because they played like they were dead. And we don’t want excuses why they played badly. Be a man, and say you stunk and didn’t put any effort out. All the NHL teams have to deal with the same crap, it’s no different, except that other teams have more heart and desire to win. THAT’S ALL WE’RE ASKING FOR. EFFORT, DESIRE, AND HEART!! Can you habs give us that, PLEASE?

32. #32 joburg says:
    March 1, 2007 at 10:14 pm

iceburg14 and rhabs4real—you two sound like you are died in the wool
    absolute ass kissing leafs fans—-you remember the leafs don’t you…they are the team that is in the 40th year of their 100 year rebuilding program.
    and how many cups have the Habs won since the laughs last won a cup—-Hell
    1/2 the population of Canada was not even born when they won last.
    True Habs fans support their team through good and bad, those who jump on the bandwagon when everything is going good are absolute phonies—-and your
    idle chatter makes me believe you are one of those !! Even if the Habs don’t make it this year, that is not the end of the world…the true Habs fans will be there to cheer them and look with optimism towards next year, you laugh fans
    go kiss old uncle Harolds ass. Habs forever, leafs Never !!!!!!!!!!!!!

33. #33 R habs 4 real says:
    March 1, 2007 at 10:32 pm

hey Jobourg: You moron! : I have NEVER been a leafs fan, and I GUARANTEE I HAVE BEEN A HABS FAN SINCE B E F O R E YOU WERE EVEN BORN! So SHUT THE hell UP ! It’s because I have watched this team for so many years, it’s a crying shame what has happened to this once might and glorious franchise. Speak not what you don’t know of. You’ll never understand what older fans are speaking of. Did you watch this team in the mid 70′s? I’m sure you didn’t, or else you wouldn’t speak from the left side of your hole! So shove it!

34. #34 joburg says:
    March 1, 2007 at 11:24 pm

rhabs r real…listen junior…what are you talking about mid 70′ ies….
    Molson had almost destroyed the Habs when they took over?? said they couldn’t make any money on them, anyone that can’t make money on a franchise as glorious as the habs should not be in business! lets look back at the
    “flying Frenchmen” when the Habs were offense minded …for years it has now been defence..and even though there have been excellent defensemen–very little offense–they even tried to turn the “Flower” into a defenseman. just so you know I remember growing up in Northern Saskatcehwan and listening to
    HNIC on the radio…(TV had not really become mainstream yet) and Foster Hewitt announce the Habs games and I remember the FIRST THING I ever saw on a tv set was my BELOVED HABS. so tell you what Junior, I have no problem with being realistic, but being negative about it.. and the team.. does not show you support the team, You see right through Gainey ???? Good !!! because that is the guy who is going to turn this around, but it won’t happen overnight

35. #35 joburg says:
    March 1, 2007 at 11:33 pm

In watching the Habs one thing I see is that in most games…the Habs outwork many of the other teams..the big problem is the Habs don’t have the players who can put the biscuit in the basket !!! and then when the goalie position is shaky as well… well we all know what happens.

I thought that flake Kovalev was going to be out awhile?? suddenly he is ok to play, I’m not a Bonk fan either—but he did play the best game I have ever seen him play as a Hab the other night against TO. Samsonov found out his market value on waivers very clearly..do the same with Kovalev !

36. If you ask me, we really need to just stop bickering with each other. All this negativity is just plain ridiculous. If you really don’t believe the Habs are gonna make the playoffs why not shut off the televisions sets, get off this blog, and stop poisoning the playoff drive experience for the rest of us. There are young kids on this blog who are just being taught how to whine from some of your words! Some of you are older to know better. Try and show some class and composure like Bob Gainey always does.

I love this site. Everyone seems to know everything! Souray is leaving for Los Angeles next year! Says who? Next summer, Souray may face the choice of being a potential future captain of the most winning franchise in hockey history in its quest for a twenty-fifth Stanley cup. He has the potential to be a future Habs legend defenseman like Doug Harvey, Serge Savard or Larry Robinson OR he can go off to a warm climate where hockey is a side show attraction that is less popular than NASCAR to play for a nothing team that is heading nowhere chronically. Most of you seem to have already made up Souray’s mind for him, but believe me, it’s a little bit harder to decide what legacy that one wants to leave behind in their career.

Gainey has also faced this choice for the last 30 plus years, and he has decided to remain with the Habs to rebuild a championship team.

37. joburg,yer getting me started on the Kovalev debacle my man.I got to tell you that in an hypothetical scenario ,let’s say,the Sens instagator Neil blind sides Koivu and injures him badly, you’d probaly see me trying to dive through the big screen to get at him! Now same scenario and Neil takes out KOVALEV…PARTY’S ON DUDES!!! Now that’s a sad thing for a life long Habs fan to say about a Hab team member,but Kovalev has done it to me,and I’M NOT ALONE ON THIS,SO IF ANYBODY HAS ANY THING TO SAY ABOUT THIS STATMENT , NEGATIVE TO ME,BROTHER YOU KNOW N O T H I N G ABOUT HOCKEY !!! IT’S TOO BAD SUCH TALENT ISN’T USED TO SELL USED CARS. KOVALEV IS A FRAUD AND FOR A LITTLE MORE LOOK AT WHAT THE ISLANDERS AQUIRED

38. Kovalev can certainly be frustrating to watch when he turns it on and off, and we can all probably agree that all Habs’ fans would love to see more consistency from Alex Kovalev. No doubt about that!

However, he looked good against the Leafs a couple nights ago. He even threw a pretty hard, board crashing type check. You go, Alex! I would really love to see both Kovy and Sammy start lighting it up for the last 16 games. Like it or not, we are stuck with both of them for this and next season so we might as well get cheering them on.

Speaking of the Islanders, they lost tonight against the lowly St. Louis Blues.

39. Ryan Smyth first game for his new team was brilliant and now we have to face that team with Kovalev,we are toast Rob.lol

40. Anyone want to hazard any guesses as to who will be the heros for the Habs in the next 16 games? I actually have a feeling that Kovalev will be one of them. He seems to have a certain flair for the dramatic. Higgins and Ryder will also pick it up.

Markov and Souray will continue to be the heros on D, and Aebischer will find his groove between the posts.

Oh, oh! Here comes the inevitable response of all those Leafs fans on this blog.

41. Xhabsfan:

You are forgetting that they also picked up Richard Zednik whose patented move of trying to power his way around the opposing defenseman from the outside will have the opposition reeling (since it will come as such a surprise to the other teams when he does it!)

Here’s another prediction! Ryan Smyth will be back in Edmonton as a free agent next season. The Islanders will have lost two quality, young prospects and a 1st round draft pick in 2007 for nothing as they are a team that is going nowhere but out in the first round. Garth Snow will be looking for another UFA that he can try to sign to a fifty year contract next season, but I really have my doubts that it will be Ryan Smyth.

42. #42 R habs 4 real says:
    March 2, 2007 at 1:00 am

We are not necessarily stuck with them. we can try to unload them, if maybe we pay part of their salary, or maybe it wasn’t a mistake to put Kovalev on waivers! And Rob, Souray will never be considered a top defenceman, because he is amongst the worst defenceman in the league. check his +- rating. It’s horrible. And remember this, 1 good year does not make a career. great players are judged by their all around performance, that is offensively and defensively. Yes, he can score, but unfortunately he can’t keep them out either. And there’s no way he can duplicat this season. Name me another defenceman that has scored 20 or more goals, 2 YEARS IN A ROW?
    Savard didn’t, neither did Robinson or Lapointe, or for that matter Orr.
    Like I said, A GREAT SEASON DOESN’T MAKE A PLAYER GREAT! If you do it for 7 or 8 years in a row, yes ! So many times a player has 1 great season, then nothing after that. McCabe is aperfect example. Let’s see where he’s at next year same time, and what he’s done. That’s one bet I ‘d take in a heartbeat!
    Legacy, my foot!

43. Rob, who are you going to root for if the Habs get eliminated? The Pens? If I was you, Mr. Benedict Arnold ,I’d bite my rat tongue !!!!!!!

44. #44 Rob says:
    March 2, 2007 at 1:19 am

R habs for real:

With all due respect…

Try to unload them, did we not try that already with one of those players? No other team would take him! What good would it be to put Kovalev on waivers other than as an insult? Running down one’s own players is NEVER a smart move by a team’s management.

Ovechkin seems to get named as a top player, but has no defensive side to his game.

OK, I’ll name you one defenseman with the potential that you mentioned.

Sheldon Souray!

The fact that you just brought up his name in the same paragraph as Robinson, Lapointe, Savard and Orr proves he has the capability of being a powerhouse on the Habs blueline for years to come.

The point that I was making is that I will believe that Souray is leaving Montreal when I see his printed contract with the Kings. Not because some people on a blog told me so.

45. #45 Rob says:
    March 2, 2007 at 1:24 am

Xhabsfan:

Oh, c’mon. Take a chill pill, man.

I think Sidney Crosby is a great player, and I really hope that he still wants to sign with the Habs as a free agent in 2012. However, I am a Habs fan (just like Sidney Crosby is!) You cannot just stop being a Habs fan — it’s like an addiction. I was prompted by another blogger to become a Pens fan, and I said that I would to Pi$$ them off. It was a joke, dude.

46. Just checking Rob,lol

47. #47 Rob says:
    March 2, 2007 at 1:53 am

Oh well,

At least, you didn’t call me a Leaf’s fan (the ultimate insult on this particular website.)

We often seem to become preoccupied with deciding who the better fan is on this site. It’s kind of like, “My Habs are bigger than your Habs.” I think that the dedication or enthusiasm of some of the bloggers is fantastic, but when the conversation drifts off into this rumor, innuendo, character assassination stuff, and people are reacting to it like it is factual and has actually already happened, it becomes kind of eerie and pathological.

Here’s the reality! The Habs are in the midst of a playoff race. Eight different teams are currently fighting for about four remaining, undecided spots. Sheldon Souray is still on the team. This year’s team actually has more talent than last year’s team and the entire team are a year more mature. All the Habs needs to do is show some heart and hope that some consistent team chemistry comes together at the right time.

48. #48 Rob says:
    March 2, 2007 at 2:17 am

While I am on a rant, everyone should remember that being a Habs fan is truly an addiction! Just to illustrate this fact, consider Xhabsfan and I are exchanging barbs about who is the better Habs fan. He is on the West Coast and I am on the East Coast. We are about 5000 miles apart, and neither of us is in Montreal. The only thing that probably that we have in common is having had the good fortune of living in Montreal in the 1970s, and watching the Habs raise the cup four times consecutively between 1975-1979.

There is no pill or patch that will take away your lifelong craving of being a Habs fan. You cannot just say that’s it, I am done and walk away.

That being said. If you are going to harbor a lifelong addiction, you may as well make it a pleasant one. A happy drunk is a lot better than a miserable, cranky one. So, everyone just cheer up and support your team! Now, I have to play hockey tomorrow so I am out!

49. Rob ,your a poet and you know it.As far as the Pens go ,their next game vs the Habs will be interesting.You know CARBO’S going to put DOWINE in,and we know what Downey’s going to do,and this time we know who’s going to step in”Laroque”.I predict it will be Downey’s last game as a Hab.lol

50. #50 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 2, 2007 at 9:35 am

42 R habs 4 real “Name me another defenseman that has scored 20 or more goals, 2 YEARS IN A ROW? Savard didn’t, neither did Robinson or Lapointe, or for that matter Orr.”

Not going to compare those guys to Souray because hands-down they were better Defenseman all-around. But I think Souray, in this system, in the New NHL were he is encouraged to join the offense with one of the hardest shots in the league could be a 20 goal scorer if he stays healthy. He also is a asset because he opens up ice because he spreads the PK units because they cheat on him. He’s got 1 of the hardest shots ever and in this more open style the NHL benefits his offensive gift.

I grew up watching Robinson, LaPointe, Chelios ect. and they were true Defenseman, but they were rarely encouraged, or lived in a time where D-man we’re considered offensive weapons (a few exceptions). In the past Defensemen were able to be more physical with clutching, grabbing, interfering, and roughing up players in front of the Net. I think Souray his size and lack of speed would have fared better with his Defensive game if he were able to include these techniques in to his repertoire, but instead he racks up PM if he employs them… just some food for thought.