Eastern Playoff Race

• The Canadiens have 16 games remaining and find themselves in a very familiar spot, battling for 8th place.

The Canadiens have been consistently finishing in the same area for the past few years so why should we be so surprised?

After the deadline moves you have to like the chances of Pittsburgh and the Islanders at remaining in the 5th-7th range.

That leaves 8th spot up for grabs with the Habs, Thrashers, Hurricanes and Leafs with a legitimate chance.

What is also interesting is the battle for 1st, with the injury riddled Sabres only 3 points ahead of the Devils.

Should the Canadiens finish 8th and the Devils first we might as well just declare a Devils sweep already. The chances the Canadiens beat Brodeur and the Devils in the playoffs is virtually non existant.

Out of the top 3 in the East, the Canadiens have played best against the Sabres beating them a handful of times. For whatever reason, the Canadiens play better against the Sabres.

A 1st vs 8th or 2nd vs 7th Sabres matchup might be the thing to hope for.

A lot can change from here until the end of the season, the Habs are only 3 points shy of 5th place although they’ve played more games.

Assuming the Habs make the playoffs, which team do you believe they would have the best chance against?

1. #1 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 2, 2007 at 9:37 am

AS for Sheldons +/-, I do not think it takes into consideration his PP goals.

2. #2 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 2, 2007 at 9:41 am

Post # 50 – I meant a consistant 20 goal scorer… and #51 meant PP points.

3. #3 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 2, 2007 at 9:45 am

Tonight against Buffalo we need to take advantage of their injury status. Get on top early, but be need to be patient, energized, and execute your assignments. Take every game like it is our last!

4. #4 smiler2729 says:
    March 2, 2007 at 10:20 am

42 R habs 4 real “Name me another defenseman that has scored 20 or more goals, 2 YEARS IN A ROW? Savard didn’t, neither did Robinson or Lapointe, or for that matter Orr.�

Orr??? Are you people hockey fans or morons????

Bobby Orr scored 20+ goals in a season 7 times in a row including 30+ 4 times and a 46 goal season before injuries took him from us forever!

Guy Lapointe scored 20+ goals in a season 3 times in a row!!!

Why do I even bother with some of you?

5. #5 smiler2729 says:
    March 2, 2007 at 10:26 am

Habs take Buffalo tonight in a tight one and beat Boston tomorrow in another close one… shit, aren’t all Montreal’s games ‘close ones’?

When’s the last time this team had an good ol’ fashioned blow-out in their favour? Okay Monday against Toronto but Abby let them back in the game in the 3rd period.

Who plays goal in these back-to-back games? Does Abby get Buffalo and Jaroslav “the Czech Steve Penney” Halak get Boston? Or vice-versa?

6. #6 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 2, 2007 at 12:35 pm

Hey I was much of a stat guy when I was a kid. I was just surprised they had not and trusted R habs 4 real statment was true, just like I am assuming your statment is true smiler… I better study my record books. Stll think my words hold true on Souray.

Anyway, I would go to JARO tonight… Buffalo’s too offensive minded even with there injuries, which makes me and more importantly the team nervous. I think Jaro can build confidence and Abby could eek on out from Boston on the teams momentum. This would be my strategy!