Eastern Promise

• How do you follow up one of the most exciting and historic games in Habs history?

A gem like Tuesday’s game is unlikely. Another win and 2 points in the bank is what the Habs need.

The race for 1st in the Division and Conference is still very tight. The Penguins only two points behind the Habs, Senators and Devils. You’d expect the Canadiens to carry that momentum forward and be strong down the stretch in important games like tonight’s.

Less than a week remains until the trade deadline and rumors are all over the place. With only 2 games left before the deadline, tonight could potentially be the last time you see certain player(s) in a Habs uniform.

1. I think that If montreal really wants to win the cup this year, Mats Sundin would be the best Available, but If they want to have a chance this year and next year Alex Tanguay is the way to go. Calgary is only asking for 1 guy and Atlanta is asking for ROSTER PLAYERS! Not sure about Toronto.(Prospects,Draft Picks etc.

2. #2 Jack Thornton says:
    February 21, 2008 at 6:18 pm

Woow!!

I can’t believe nobody thought outside the box for once and I did!

How about:

Calgary: Ryder, 1st round
    Montreal: Tanguay

Atlanta: Marian Hossa
    Montreal: Tanguay, Grabvosky, (maybe Halak and they give us another prospect?)

That makes absolute sense.

1)Montreal needs an impact player and that would turn out to be Hossa

2)Calgary would be glad to get Ryder as he showed he’s waking up and a duo of two Ryders would be great!

3)Atlanta gets both future players and roster player(s)

If there will be a three way trade than that would the one.

3. That sounds like a really good deal, Jack. I wouldn’t be disappointed to see that happen. But, one thing I don’t know…how many years are left on Hossa’s current contract?

Sundin would be nice to see in our roster, but he’s not worth it because if he accepts to get traded, I bet he re-signs with Toronto next year. I’d like to see Montreal try to win the cup this year and have the same core of players for next year to try and repeat.

4. #4 habsalltheway says:
    February 21, 2008 at 8:33 pm

Lets hope after the rush of last game they don’t come out to low (a lot of teams crash after a HUGE game like that) GO HABS GO

5. #5 habsalltheway says:
    February 21, 2008 at 8:46 pm

Why the HELL is begin out and Smolinski in after last game?????? can any one tell me?

6. #6 Dancan81 says:
    February 21, 2008 at 9:22 pm

They say he’s injured.

7. Well I can’t say we’re going to lose, but we can’t comeback 5-0 again. We have to score next. GoHabs Go!!! And why sin’t Montreal talking with Jokinen? He’s great!

8. #8 habsalltheway says:
    February 21, 2008 at 9:27 pm

OK I never heard any thing so I was a bit confused on why.
    Thanks Dancan81..
    Did they say if he would be out for long?

9. HERE WE GO!!!NICE JOB KOOOOIIIVVU

10. Kovalev,Kovalev,Kovalev…………………..

11. Tampa Bay is reeeeeaaaaallly hurting…got to make that splash go for Lecavalier make the offer…How about trading with Calgary for Tanguay, then trade Tanguay, Dandenault, Jalak for Lacavalier, Boyle, Denis or maybe Brad Richards…

Good results up to now! Come on let’s shut them down. Sh@t Malkin gets the break….damn!

Come on!!! Go Habs Go!

February 21, 2008 at 10:39 pm

Gotta love all the transactions we keep dreamin up!!!! I will be glad when the deadline has passed !!!

GO HABS GO!!!!

13. HUET COST US THE GAME! Gainey better trade for a goalie, because we have NONE!
    he couldn’t stop a single shot tonight. bot is he pathetic. Bring up Halak and send Huet to another team, or the minors! If we don’t get better goaltending, we’re going nowhere. can’t keep on giving up 5 goals/ game, especially at home, and expect to win.

14. Well, back to the drawing board.Now for all you fans that the Habs are good enough just remember we let the Rangers have a 5 goal lead and we just lost to a Crosby less team. Trade Huet,Ryder ,Streit ,Dandenault and have Smoke cansell his no trade clause and get some FIREPOWER!!!

15. #15 BarrieHabFan says:
    February 21, 2008 at 11:07 pm

As a goaltender myself I hate to lay the blame on the goalie, but in this case Huet did cost the game. I’m not going to trash him and say we need to trade him as right now I think that’s unlikely. But he needs to re-gain his positioning in the net before the playoffs. Huet is his own worst enemy when it comes to possibly being replaced by Price. I don’t know why he’s lost his butterfly positioning when the puck’s right in front of him or he’s lost sight of it. Very frustrating to see a puck go in that almost any good butterfly goalie would have just hit them.
    I’ll give him the benefit and suggest he’ll bounce back quickly. But Price should start the next game.

16. #16 Ice Man says:
    February 21, 2008 at 11:17 pm

Price should have started tonight. It was not his fault that he got pulled.

17. #17 BarrieHabFan says:
    February 21, 2008 at 11:25 pm

I agree. And also, when they do get a goalie playing well I think they should be playing several games straight to get them ready for the playoffs. Whoever it is needs to get ready for the playoff grind.

18. you can’t keep changing goalies every other game. Put in Price, and keep in goal, even if he loses. How else will he get experience? besides, Huet is no better. PRICE FROM NOW UNTIL THE END OF THE SEASON AND IN FOR THE PLAYOFFS TOO!
    I’m sure Gainey could find a sucker who will take Huet off our hands. Bring up Halak as a backup to Price. no more of this musical goalies!

19. I agree. Put Price In now!!! But guys, don’t panic. the habs were probably just tired after the COMEBACK. But I agree trade Dandenault and Smolinski, we never use them!

20. But how come we can’t win at home? I can’t remember the habs in all their years, having so much difficulty winning at home. This is supposed to be a comfortable happy place for them, yet they keep on shooting themselves in the foot. And another thing, our defence is way too soft. So I guess Gainey has his work cut out for him. How about trading for a goalie, and trading Huet. He’s no longer a help, more of a hindrance, and definitely a deficit to this team’s progress. it’s up to the kids(Price, Halak, etc.) to get the job done.

21. During the offseason, Gainey should fire Melanson, and bring in Patrick Roy to train the goalies!

22. #22 BarrieHabFan says:
    February 22, 2008 at 1:38 am

I don’t know if I’d go that far. And if it were to be a new goalie coach it would be Allaire. Huet is a very good goalie and will regain his form. If anything it is good that he is having these problems now and not a month or two from now.

23. #23 LeBeau says:
    February 22, 2008 at 8:01 am

Trade Streit? Are you on crack?

February 22, 2008 at 10:10 am

Oh ye of little faith !

Come on guys we lost that one on an error from Komi , you cant give Malkin clean breaks , he is red hot these days.

Did we think we would win every single game from now on in?

Well who is it? Seems the gloves dont fit the hand !! OJ goes free !!!

lolol

25. #25 MrBigTime says:
    February 22, 2008 at 10:58 am

Seriously… were not in the market for a goaltender, and no goalie plays awesome every game (none…zero)

LeBeau: Stop talking trades without any research, Hossa is UFA after this year.

Jack Thornton: Give up Ryder, Grabovsky (on fire in AHL), Halak, + a first round pick for an over rated, no show for playoffs Hossa? I think they have a job opening for you with the Leafs

I like the team we have now! Crazy, I know… Ryder picks his game up, and the rumblings for his trade gets louder… we will regret moving him, even if he has had an off year. Richards would be better to get than Hossa any day… He has Mono this year, and that is why he is so horrible now, he needs to recover, and will return to be better than ever… you watch… and he’s from PEI, and those maritimers are true heart hockey players…

26. Ah well….can’t win em all…..at least it was an entertaining, end-to-end game. We’re still in the race for first…..don’t think for a minute were not….still only 1 point out, and the next couple of teams we play (Cls, Atl) we gotta bear down and beat. Also, we still gotta 4 game western road swing coming up…ironically enough, probably just what we need at this point considering our road record.
    Gonna be tight down the stretch….every game is big now….Ott is struggling and still getting points…sick. Don’t forget either, we still have 3 games left with OTT this season….and no matter how ither team plays in all their other games, its probably gonna come down to those games weather we pass em or not….we have GOT to find a way to beat the Sens…thats the bottom line.
    And as for Sundin…I think he’s a great player thats gonna help any team he’s goes to….but I think they want too much for him, and the main structure of this team who has been winning most of the year would have to be upset to get him….can’t see this trade working out.
    Keep our heads high…..keep cheering on our team…we’re definitely not done with ths race….GO HABS GO !!!

27. I agree with ya MrBig……Ryder is a Newf though…still a maritimer however.

28. #28 Ice Man says:
    February 22, 2008 at 11:30 am

Newfoundland is not a part of the maritimes Donnie.

Newfoundland stands alone.

29. #29 Donnie says:
    February 22, 2008 at 1:36 pm

Yeah I guess you’re right technically….just we’re always mixed in with the other three provinces over here so some of us just say we’re maritime, lol….but you’re correct, we’re not really.

30. #30 Ice Man says:
    February 22, 2008 at 4:15 pm

I am a Proud Newfoundlander. Just Like Ryder is.

31. Do you guys think we should still trade Ryder?

32. #32 Ice Man says:
    February 22, 2008 at 4:41 pm

ABSOLUTLEY NOT.

Ryder is/was going through a slump as did Kovalev last year. Ryder will bounce back.

February 22, 2008 at 4:45 pm

“we” ?

I say you have no say in the matter

lol

34. #34 patrick says:
    February 22, 2008 at 6:26 pm

If the playoffs started rightaway it looks like we’d be playing either the devils or the pens, yikes! Both would be a great series, but 6th is the spot we want (besides first!) , then we’d play the southeast “winner”.

35. If I had a choice between playing Pitt, NJ or Carolina, I’d take Carolina, even if it meant finishing in 6th place. But it depends how we play down the stretch, and if we beat NJ, which I highly doubt.

36. #36 BarrieHabFan says:
    February 22, 2008 at 8:59 pm

Absolutely I would trade Ryder.
    He plays a few games of good hockey and we forget all his shortcomings?
    I like Ryder but the time to move him is now if they can get anything for him. If the offers are low, let him ride out the year and as he himself has stated, will likely sign elsewhere.
    If Ryder is a part of a package to land another scoring or setup player then Montreal would be crazy not to do it.
    I hate to break it to you guys who think Montreal should go into the playoffs with the team they have: This team cannot win as is in the playoffs. It is a very good team that does have some glaring problems. And Ryder, despite what he has don ein the last few games has done, is still a big problem. Poor defensive play, giveaways and long scoring droughts make him expendable.
    Would I hate to see Ryder stay on the team. No. But if Gainey holds off on a trade to bring in a top two line player in hopes that Ryder will continue to play inspired instead of playing like a doughnut as he did for most of the season, could be a monumental mistake. This team is not ready to compete yet with Ottawa, Anahiem, or Detroit. They will have to make a trade or trades to fill needs (face-off, defensive forward, grit/fighter) if they hope to compete and there are only so many players you can be willing to move. And Ryder should be one of them.

37. #37 Ice Man says:
    February 22, 2008 at 10:14 pm

Hey Barriehab. did you say the same for Kovalev last year.

38. #38 Ice Man says:
    February 22, 2008 at 10:16 pm

Don C.

What in the blue hell are U talkng about?

We?

39. HJ
    Patrick Roy would probably fire the coaches and hire himself…

40. Patrick Roy was a phenomenal goalie, and I’d take his advice any day over Melanson. And the last I heard, his Quebec Remparts are a pretty good team under his leadership. I think he would be a terrific coach because he has alot of COMMUNICATION with his players, something Carbo knows nothing about!

41. #41 BarrieHabFan says:
    February 22, 2008 at 10:40 pm

Ice, I probably did. But so did a lot of people. The difference is Kovalev was signed for more years and Ryder is not. He’s UFA at years end. Increasingly I think you will find with a greater number of UFA’a under the new agreement, teams will not take the chance that they will re-sign them and will trade them when they have the chance to get something in return.
    I did say that I wouldn’t mind Ryder staying, I just think that if Gainey has a chance to improve the team he should. Ryder should not stand in the way of that based on very recent good play.

42. #42 BarrieHabFan says:
    February 22, 2008 at 10:48 pm

I’m happy to be proven wrong. If Ryder stays, I hope he kicks ass for us in the playoffs. I just think that if trading him meant a power forward or sniper comping to Montreal, I’d be all for it!

43. BarrieHabFan ,I ‘m in agreement with you,but Iwould be surprised if a trade goes through,That’s the different style B Gainey has as compared to a G.M. like Brian Burke”Snake in the grass”style.A nd now I got some advice as concerning M Ryder,a man from the great province of Newfoundland and Labrador”soon to be it’s own province “.Apparently if your from that province and another home town boy’s on your team you will cheer for him no matter what” which brings to question who is more important Ryder or theCanadiens?”I pick Les Canadiens de Montreal.

44. Ice Man, I’m a Newf too…..what area are ya from? Corner Brook myself…born and raised.

February 22, 2008 at 11:56 pm

32 STUO11
    Posted on February 22nd, 2008 at 4:18 pm. About ‘Eastern Promise’.

Do you guys think we should still trade Ryder?

We <<< we have nothing to do with the trades

46. #46 Ice Man says:
    February 23, 2008 at 1:35 am

I’m from Twilingate.

February 23, 2008 at 3:06 am

Here is an intelligent break down of what happened

About last night …
    posted by Mike Boone at 8h52 EST on Feb 22

Who would have thought Canadiens would get goals from Michael Ryder, Christopher Higgins, Saku Koivu … and still lose?

Back to the drawing board for the shut-down game.

As Mike Komisarek learned – and he will learn, because Komisaurus is a bright guy – cross-ice passes can be dangerous … especially when you’re protecting a one-goal lead and Evgeni Malkin has just left the penalty box.

As Alex Kovalev should have known, penalties are not good in tie games.

Ditto for Roman Hamrlik, who had Canadiens playing shorthanded for two minutes while they were trying to regain momentum late in the third period.

Mo was fickle last night.

Coming back from 2-0 and 3-1 deficits, Canadiens seemed to have the wind in their sails. But the PP during Malkin’s penalty was a mess, and the wind shifted suddenly when he brought the Penguins back.

The list of Canadiens who suffered through off nights would include Andrei Markov, Cristobal Huet, Tomas Plekanec, Kovalev and Guillaume Latendresse.

Gui! has been invisible for a while. He needs either new linemates or a hot dog night.

Some observations:

• The front page of the Journal du Montréal on Thursday had Montrealers smelling the Cup. There was a different smell at the Bell Centre last night, but hey, stuff happens.

• Pittsburgh is good. They have a terrific nucleus of young talent – even without Crosby. And a team with allegedly questionable D held Canadiens to 21 shots on home ice.

• The league’s Russian superstars are doing a number on Canadiens. Alex Ovechkin lit them up a couple weeks ago. Last night it was Malkin. And Ilya Kovalchuk is here on Tuesday.

• Canadiens’ power-play was 2-for-2 before soiling the bed during Malkin’s penalty.

• Saku Koivu was excellent. The Captain is alive and well for the stretch run.

• Sergei K. gets better every game. You don’t want to break up the Pleks line, but I’d love to see the Brothers K together.

• Max Lapierre tries – God knows, opponents find him very trying – but no one sparks this team like Steve Bégin.

• If Michael Ryder had played all season like he’s played the last few games, he’d be closing in on another 30.

• Mark Streit is in a bit of a funk.

Let’s see what Carey Price and some new lines can do on Bob Gainey Night.

48. #48 groundworking says:
    February 23, 2008 at 5:00 am

“Do you guys think we should still trade Ryder?”

Yes, absolutely. He’s a great guy and a pure goal scorer, but the Habs can probably get a better player by including Ryder as part of a package.

Should we trade Higgins? No! Hamrlik? God no!

We’ll see what happens at the trade deadline, but I’d bet anyone that Ryder wouldn’t resign with the canadiens even if he doesn’t get traded.

49. Honestly, I hate to see Ryder go…..he will bounce back somewhere else and it’s a shame it’s not gonna be with us……but putting those feelings aside, I think we should trade him. I really believe that Ryder wants to leave now, with the reasons being his….and because of his UFA status after this year, he will sign somewhere else absolutely….and Gainey doesn’t want it to be another Souray, where we lose another player who has had impact and get nothing in return. This year also, our playoff status is a little more set than last year…so he’s not gonna hold onto a player (like he did with Souray) because we may have a chance for 8th.
    The Newfie in me wants Ryder to stay…..I will continue to follow his progress where ever he goes and root for him…we get so few players from our province making it this big…….but the die-hard Hab fan in me knows we have to trade him to improve this teams chances of glory again. So yes, unfortunately, he must be traded.

50. I think Jokinen is going to SJ. why? because they’re offering Marleau and Carle, just what Florida will need to replace their center. And don’t be surprised if Sundin is NOT traded. As far as the habs are concerned, a player like Gratton would help. he’s a big strong center, who can win faceoffs and score some goals. I also think, that unless Tanguay waives his no trade contract, we’re not getting him. Besides, he already said he didn’t want to play in Montreal! Brad Richards for Huet and Ryder and a pick? maybe