Free for all

• I’ll be out of town with limited computer access for the next few nights.

Consider this the post for all your comments regarding Buffalo until the All-Star Game.

If the Habs can pull off a win against the Sabres that’ll do great for their mindset heading into the All-Star break.

They’ve beat them twice already and it can certainly happen again.

1. #1 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    January 25, 2007 at 11:42 am

HAB-DAB-A-DO good deal for us… where do we sign! Even if we went after one of two we would be ahead in the trade! Hey, don’t they owe us for Dejarden and LeClair move? Not sure they’re shopping Gagne; he’s like the face of that team… but they are looking real ugly these days!

2. #2 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    January 25, 2007 at 11:45 am

IZZY you missed stevejur… stevejur you should have put this deal in the ULTIMATE HAB TRADE for a chance to win the pot!

3. #3 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    January 25, 2007 at 11:53 am

How are we going to afford him with that deal? Perezhogin or Plekanec barely make over a million and Forsberg makes around 5.75 million, so who else are they taking off out hands?

4. FORSBERG as a Hab for Plekanec is wrong!!!! F@CK FORSBERG AND HIS WONKY ANKEL,ONE puck in the foot and it’s over.

5. #5 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    January 25, 2007 at 12:27 pm

Looks like the sir Patrick incident with Saguenéens de Chicoutimi, specifically with Pierre Cardinal, has blown over and he will return to coach the Remparts next year…

6. #6 high 4 habs says:
    January 25, 2007 at 12:57 pm

Here are the trades I believe can work. there are 3 scenarios: I really believe that Bertuzzi, because he is a power forward can help us. I would give up Ryder in an even exchange. I’m not sure what Ryder is making, but I don’t think the difference is that great. Also, LA trading Conroy for Plekanec. Yes, I know Conroy isn’t getting any younger, but I believe he can still help us.
    Also, there’s the possibility we can do business with Tampa, getting Prospal for Rivet and throw in a draft pick. I don’t think Tampa will make the playoffs.
    Sorry guys, I got alittle carried away . I know you only wanted to hear 1 trade,but I couldn’t decide.

7. #7 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    January 25, 2007 at 1:07 pm

No need for apologies, one move with three teams… these sort-of moves happen in real life! Not often one team possesses everything you need…

8. #8 I am Canadien says:
    January 25, 2007 at 1:30 pm

I wouldn’t do much. Souray & Murray for lots of 2-3 high picks this year and next years draft. Souray is gone. Lets come to terms with it as much as I hate to say it!
    My focus would be to make a run for the cup in the centennial year. We have some highly skilled players just on the edge of cracking the bigs. (Grabie, Lapierre, Kosty, maybe CHipchura).They will be good role players for “The Run”. Plus we know Plek and Perezogin can game it. Give Perz 1 more yr to prove himself.
    LEt the high priced talent walk (Sammy and Kovy) to create cap room to potentially trade picks for a center and Dman next year. Get Center position set and bring on 2009.
    We’re 3-4 big time players away from making a run. (realistically)
    Patience

9. #9 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    January 25, 2007 at 1:42 pm

Sammy has a two year contact… another $2.5 next year!

10. #10 I am Canadien says:
    January 25, 2007 at 1:57 pm

You’re right…Mea culpa. Let Sammy walk next year. Who knows; he may even start to bring value and then be able to get something for him.
    Bottom line is that to win the cup you need players with a mix of talent and grit. Currently we mostly have players with talent (anyone with names ending in ‘ov’).To get the players you need will take some time.
    Come on 2009!

11. #11 JoshTM says:
    January 25, 2007 at 3:01 pm

Not sure if you are done witht the trade thing but here’s mine:

Fantasy: Bonk, Rivet and A Kostisyn for Marleau

Realistic : Perezhogin and conditional pick for Forsberg
    or Ryder/3rd round pick for Bouchard (wild)

12. #12 Snake says:
    January 25, 2007 at 3:02 pm

Ooops I still have my PC set up to fake a Joshtm entry. That last proposals were mine.

13. #13 high 4 habs says:
    January 25, 2007 at 3:37 pm

makes sense because JoshTM normally doesn’t.

14. #14 habrez says:
    January 25, 2007 at 3:44 pm

the habs need a centre. im keep thinking about conroy for souray (since souray is gone at the end of the year)but does a rebuilding team like l.a. really want souray? we need to move souray even though hes an intricate part of the team. he wont resign. so i keep thinking about teams with a lot of centres who could use him. any thoughts? dallas has atleats 6 guys that can play centre and gainey loves to deal with his old team. maybe stu barnes whose stock is really low and a high draft pick or a defense prospect. does anyone know any centres available? id like to see Viktor Kozlov. the main problem is many teams still have a chance at making the playoffs and are hesitant to move any players. the salary cap is also a big problem. i remember hearing the habs have 2 million of cap space left. so unless they get rid of a few players they wont be able to afford forsberg (5.75 mil) or bertuzzi (5.3 million). personally id rather see the habs clear up salary space for lecavalier (6 million) instead of those older and often injured players (plus hes from mtl).

15. #15 habrez says:
    January 25, 2007 at 4:17 pm

the lecavalier dream isnt gonna happen (this year at least) and i have a bad feeling gainey isnt gonna pull the trigger on any deals. im liking samsonov with bonk and johnson but i was just wondering why carbo never tried higgins at centre with kovalev and samsonov, or even koivu for that matter. the first line has been struggling 5 on 5 so why not mix it up. plekanec, peroz and lapierre do not have the skills (at this point in their careers) to play as everyday second liners, higgins might. any thoughts?

16. Look it,It’s beyond me after hearing SOURAY JUST STATE HE LOVES MONTREAL AND HE WANTS TO STAY why everybody wants to trade him. Love him or hate him ,he’s become our best player,not to mention he,s got size something lacking on the Habs D.PLUS HE’S GOT HEART AND LEADERSHIP. So let’s make room for him and Markov cause no other good D avalible and Souray has our only real blue line shot=100+ mph, come on ,let’s get real here!!!! This is the best team ever in pro hockey,not CIRC DE SOLEIL FOR FUCK SAKES.

17. #17 Jack Tornton says:
    January 25, 2007 at 5:46 pm

I just noticed something Bob Gainey is doing since his arrival to Montreal. Since he arrivrd, I do not remember him signing players for over 2 years except for Koivu and Kovalev. Gainey has found the formula to success. When a plaeyr is signed for less than 3 years, he works his ass off to get a good contract when the old one expires. This really works. Let me give you guys some examples: Souray is on his last year, and he showed the entire league what he has in his tank, moreover he signed Bouillon for only one year, and results are positive for Bouillon as well, let’s take Huet as an example, he is signed for 2 years, and he works his ass off almost every night.

For all those that complain about Bob gainey’s job, here I prove you wrong!

18. #18 Jack Tornton says:
    January 25, 2007 at 5:49 pm

* Forgot to mention Bonk, he’ s on his last year of his contract, and he turned out to be a totally different player than he was last year.

19. #19 Drive_4_25 says:
    January 25, 2007 at 5:55 pm

I know I was left out but if i may:

Kovalev,Ryder Aebisher for LeCavalier
    and
    Perezhogin and Draft pick for Forsberg
    and a parade down ste-catherine street come July!

I know the first won’t happen but it’s nice to dream as a habs fan!

GO HABS GO!

20. #20 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    January 25, 2007 at 5:56 pm

I do not want to trade him, but there is no garantee he’ll stay… I think people see him as a ticket to finding a superstar goal scorer to play in Montreal. And if we knew for sure what his status he wanted to play more in Montreal than more people would keep him off-limits on a trade. Also that would depend on what kind of money he is asking for…If we’re not willing to pay his demands, will his love Montreal be enough for him Stay? He is big but does not always play big in front of the net. Maybe because when he roughs up little forwards in up front he’ll find himself 2:00 in the box. Also he is slow on his feet, which is why he gets so many penalties trying to recover his defensive position. But what he is lacking on D he makes up for with the cannon from the line. Is he worth $5-6 Millon some people don’t believe so… I like him in Montreal and would like to see him with a more complimentary line mate… maybe a Boullion or Dandee whom are a little quicker and aggresive in the corners and in front of the net.

So basically I am not sure what to do with his situation. I think if we want to work toward a cup run I want him on the team. If we want to rebuild??? Things sparked a little before the break and I would like to see it continue. If higgy can find the touch our offense will be ok. He has nearly as many goals as our top scores but played 15 less games.

21. #21 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    January 25, 2007 at 6:01 pm

Drive_4_25

You would need to free up about $8 millon more dollars both… and $5 millon for Perez / Forsberg alone…. but we probably would be celebrating on Saint Catherine!

22. #22 HabsInBlood says:
    January 25, 2007 at 6:06 pm

Ninimaa and Rivet are making 5M between the 2 of them this year. I say use at least part (or maybe all) of this to re-sign Souray and Markhov, while letting Ninimaa and Rivet walk. We can’t lose Markhov, and between Souray and Rivet, I would take Sheldon. This of course presumes Sheldon really does want to come back here.

I know the all-star game was shinny, but Souray looked much more comfortable than expected playing with all that other talent.

23. #23 Rubberman says:
    January 25, 2007 at 6:19 pm

I hate to admit it, but I doubt Gainey will make any big trades. We’re stuck with some stinkers (e.g. Samsanov) and I don’t see any mgr stupid enough to make a trade for him. As for signing Souray, his price is going up and MTL won’t pay that much cash for him, but… do you chance trading him now? No! I don’t think I would trade him.

To get a big name offensive player, Gainey will have give up something big. If you want Gagné, Joe Thorton (?), this type of player, Gainey will need to put Huet, or Markov, or Ryder with a few minor guys. Is he going to trade someone who’ll hurt you in the playoff (e.g. in your own conference). GOes west, Bobby. By the way, I’d love to see Joe Thorton in Montréal. OK BOB, pull the trigger. “Do you feel lucky Punk?” One more thing, I hope Bob goes for a North American type player. Sounds racist, but it’s time to get players who want to play every night (Hey ALex Kovalev, earn your fucking money!!!).

24. #24 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    January 25, 2007 at 6:20 pm

I felt the same way… I think he liked to playing in the fast “run and gun” type hockey. I think it fits his style. Traditional disaplined hockey trap hockey relys on patents to create oportunity on other peoples mistakes. Meaning alot of time working on puck control which is not his forte!

25. #25 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    January 25, 2007 at 6:23 pm

#172 is refering to #170

26. #26 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    January 25, 2007 at 6:28 pm

Habs linemates Mike Johnson and Radek Bonk are leading front-runners for the Frank J. Selke Trophy at this mid-season point…

27. #27 Drive_4_25 says:
    January 25, 2007 at 6:35 pm

CountNY

I was under the assumption that Vinny Le C was making $7 mil
    Kov = 4.5
    RYDER = 2.2
    ABS = 1.7

TOTAL = 8.4 Million …So for the first trade you clear up about 1.5 million

And for the 2nd Perez $625 000
    So you’ve cleared up about an extra $2.25 million were already just about 1.1 million under the cap which leaves $3.35 million…. Now all that taken into consideration…Wouldn’t we be able to pull it off considering that were 50% done with the season?

28. #28 stevejur says:
    January 25, 2007 at 7:17 pm

By the way…..
    Philly will be eating some of Forsberg’s contract.
    In return Montreal will be dealing a quality player such as Perezhogin or Plekanec.

Anyways I don’t agree with this move, but as of right now we are the front runners.
    I have this feeling that he’ll end up with the Rangers. They’ll probably move Prucka.

29. #29 habrez says:
    January 25, 2007 at 7:18 pm

souray is not coming back, i wish he would even for 5 million or for whatever he is gonna earn after this season, but he’ll take less money to be in LA. this coming from a very reliable source. why not try and get something for him while we can? unless of course we get a bonafide centre and make a run for the cup

30. habrez, please explane why Souray would make the stament that he loves Montreal and wants to stay,while your reliable source state’s the other.WHO IS YOUR SOURCE habrez? SILVIA BROWNE, or is it IZZY’S golfing partner,” the police profiler”, or someone from Toronto,or was it Hockey fan STEVEN “P.M.”HARPER,or are u related to Sheldon or even better ,are you Sheldon Souray? Cause, I as well as the rest of the world,heard and saw different right from the horse’s patutute, Sourey!

31. #31 riser8 says:
    January 26, 2007 at 12:04 am

Sheldon Souray is not going anywhere this season, and there is good reason to believe that Bob Gainey will do his absolute best to keep both him and Markov next year. Top defenceman are not a dime a dozen; especially one that is a leader in the dressing room and will stick up for his teammates on the ice. I really believe that Gainey understands this and will try and be very creative this summer with his roster. If Souray does sign elsewhere next summer it will be because some team offered him close to 6 mil/yr, and at that price you could hardly blame him for taking the money…..but if the Habs offer is close to the 5 mil/yr range he may just stick around as he has stated more than once that he loves the city and the organization that really took care of him while he was out for almost two years with major wrist surgery. As for any big trades this season….I really don’t think Gainey will give up a roster player in any deal and will probably just look to add by trading picks or mid level prospects from the system. With Bob you never know!

32. sheesh, you guys have been busy!….just got back from halifax…set the timer in the car…been driving for 11 hours 24minutes and 03 secs…..

um…where did the Forsberg info/rumor come from again?…any link to something in print?

dont forget guys…seperate your fantasy ultimate trade wishes from who you think will really be moved.

pooped…ugh

33. My Ultimate Habs Trade

Thornton or Lecavalier for any and all of Aebischer/Samsonov/Kovalev/Rivet

However, that not being accomplished…

same four for Simon Gagne/Peter Forsberg/Alexei Zhitnik

or

same four for Doan/Perreault/Boynton

or

same four for Frolov/Camalleri/Tverdovsky & if we must change Kovalev w/Souray

I think all of these three can make sense…these other teams will be looking to make some changes and may take the bait…

The Habs have traded with these teams before so I don’t see that as a problem.

The salary cap may be impacted but unloading the group of players should balance things up…in fact there is probably room to give some of the younger guys a chance to step up their game and become effective and earn a spot on the Habs line-up.

I’m willing to put an extra $1 on the Philadelphia deal going through. Even though I like the Phoenix option better.

Let’s be in the game against The Leafs…I’ve had enough of not showing up…!!! Let’s make them earn the points if they’re going to take them. Wake up…come on get in the game…play as a team for a full 60 minutes and cut out those foolish penalties.

34. #34 smiler2729 says:
    January 26, 2007 at 2:20 am

Is it just me or shouldn’t Montreal have gotten Peter Forsberg in the Patrick Roy deal in ’96? It still makes me puke that for a superstar goalie and our team captain (Mike Keane), all Re-Gene Houle could get in return was Rucinsky, Kovalenko and Thibault… uggghhhh.

35. Smiler,Istill having a hard time with Perault scoring 2 goals at allstar game. Habs must of been his pension plan?

36. they’re even talking about it on rds this morning. They asked Carbs what he thought & he said that he had spoken to Bob, but that as a player he never asked too much, and now as a coach he doesnt ask any questions either. good deflection. I think something will happen today. Either the habs make a move or Bob has a press conference saying everything will stay status quo.

January 26, 2007 at 10:41 am

I think this a great one. TO NASHVILLE: samsonov,pleckanecs and a second round pick. TO MONTREAL: martin erat and scott hartnell.

38. #38 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    January 26, 2007 at 11:18 am

Drive_4_25

I did put the 2 together on the Lecavier trade and did not consider 1/2 through the season. I did not think as the 2nd trade as contingent on the 1st… my apologies!

39. #39 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    January 26, 2007 at 12:13 pm

ULTIMATE HAB TRADE

NEEDS – Pittsburg has abundant of young talent, a shit load of cap room, have inched there way into a playoff contention, they’re in the Eastern conference and little or no reason to trade this guy but, they’re in the need for some veteran defense especially if they want to further there playoff.

NEEDS – The habs are in the need for a goal scoring 2nd line center. This center would preferably have some size and muscling in some goals in front of the Net and to dig opportunities in corners. Although, I think most people would like a more season veteran in Montreal.

TRADE:
    GIVE-
    HABS give up: RIVET with either (NIIMINA, STREIT,ABBY or PEREZHOGIN) or adding maybe a DRAFT PICK or MINOR player like (Kostisyn or Mathieu Biron)???

RECEIVE-
    PITT gives us: JORDAN STAAL

I like this kid he is a future star and in time team leader (NEVER would be on PITT). He’s a big Center with @ 6-4 215 at 18 years of age. He’s Canadian, although not French speaking, he is at least North American. He’s scored 5 short handed goals, which would fit well in our special teams’ scheme. He a guy we could stick in front of the net and score for years to come…

Montreal would have a place to fill along side of Souray which could be done by moving either Boullion or Streit. RIVET has diminished a bit which could have something to due with Souray’s slow speed and having to take on more resposibility. We are going to have problems with resigning Rivet if we want to keep Markov and Souray.

Jordan does not make a bunch of money with his entry level contract and PITT has a bunch of CAP room.

If the deal did come true we would free up space for some possible future trades.

40. #40 Jack Tornton says:
    January 26, 2007 at 12:20 pm

I still sthink my Ultimate Hab trade makes more sense than all the other one!
    Lol!

41. #41 smiler2729 says:
    January 26, 2007 at 1:59 pm

I’d love Jordan Staal too but NO WAY is Pittsburgh giving up any of Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Whitney and Fleury. You could offer them the Stanley Cup itself but with these guys they can become a multiple Cup winner much like Edmonton in the ’80s (5 Cups in 7 seasons).

42. #42 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    January 26, 2007 at 3:01 pm

Yeah, I know they can probably wait out the rest of the Year and have a field day in the Free Agent market to build a D with the Cap room they have… but he is the type of player want to see on the Habs. Maybe in a few years when Pitt comes of age, and these guy start demanding some real $$$. If we do trade it will probably be for Conroy or Stumpel.

43. #43 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    January 26, 2007 at 3:11 pm

Along with Staal, I also like Ryan Getzlaf from the Ducks. I had been searching around for a young available C and there is not much out there that would want over what we already possess… so I shot for the stars!

44. #44 joshtm says:
    January 26, 2007 at 3:14 pm

It may be that Gainey has nothing left in him and we will stay the course and finish fifth this year and maybe six next year. Probably will make some minor changes in the summer to clear out the rookie pool and buck up the Dogs. The Dogs seem to be Gainey’s priority.

Let’s hope for the habs 100 year and the year of the all stars that we get a decent coach and GM who care about winning and make the right moves. My two cents. Not that Carbo is bad, he is just not great. Not that Gainey doesn’t know how to trade for good rookies, he just doesn’t know how to use them

45. #45 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    January 26, 2007 at 3:31 pm

joshtm – I am curious what you would do to change the face… we all know you clean out the front office and coach’s, but what player moves would you make? You do not like Souray, Markov, Kovalev and a slue of other players. I am sure there are some players that would come available if these guys were attached to the deal. You could trade them all for draft picks and bring up the Dogs…

46. anybody besides me having trouble posting lately?…can only get one of three to go…says my post has been flagged as spam and not allowed to pass.

joshtm, are you hacking into my browser again?..(kidding)

47. #47 joshtm says:
    January 26, 2007 at 4:44 pm

The way Gainey and Carbo operate, they might as well be working for Revenue Canada, one doesn’t speak to the other, and they play it way too safe.

I do like Souray, and Kovalev and as for Markov, he is overated and overpaid, heck Kosty there plays just like Markov and yet you don’t see Markov being sent to the Dogs.

On other professional teams, the farm team is there to complement the team, but with Gainey you’d think the Habs are there only to complement the Dogs……

48. #48 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    January 26, 2007 at 4:45 pm

Testing 123..works for me!

49. tonight on team 990. Pierre McGuire says Forsberg will go to Colorado.

suits me.

50. #50 habrez says:
    January 26, 2007 at 6:48 pm

xhabsfan, what do you expect souray to say? that he hates montreal and that he doesnt want to resign? of course hes gonna say that he loves montreal (in my opinion the best city in the world), but when his family is in LA im sure he’ll do whatever he can to be there with them. What do you think pronger was saying about edmonton while he was there? that he hated the city? oh yeah. my source is a friend who has been involved with him who is from motreal but now she lives in LA. so unless he was tryin to get in her pants… souray is gone. i wish it wasnt the case because the guy can score for a team that struggles to