Game 67: Habs/Ducks

• Those of you who stayed up to watch the game last night were rewarded with a well deserved 60 minute effort that resulted for two points for the good guys. In the murky mess that is the Eastern conference, the Habs have tenuously reclaimed 8th place. I don’t know if they’ll hold it, but this much is true: winning will allow them to control their destiny. A losing streak of any size will all but eliminate them from contention. The boys will look to replicate their result from last night against Captain Koivu and the Ducks tonight. I’m sure it will be an emotional game for Koivu and the few teammates remaining on the Canadiens from last season. I know I still have a soft spot for him even though I do believe it was time for the club to move on.

Puck drops at 8. Go Habs Go!!!!

1. #1 Senet1 says:
    March 7, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Unfortunately we get no breather here it is another must win. Hope the guys have the stamina to play three full periods. So far we have played three away games we won two of them and with a little luck we should have one the other one too. So if we can win three of four that is a pretty good road trip. I said if we could get 89 points we would make the playoffs. So keep going guys we have 21 points to go.

2. #2 habs since51 says:
    March 8, 2010 at 12:20 am

i thought the very best sighn possible was markovs return from the olympics finnaly i know hes been back for a week or should i type back and weak lol tonight he was andres of old!!!

3. #3 Mats Naslund says:
    March 8, 2010 at 10:53 am

Silly me. I made a critical error last night. After tuning in at 2-0, I turned the game off at 3-0 at the end of the first to help my wife pack for a move next week. I should have learned my lesson two season’s ago when we all watched “The Comeback”. I’ll never forget that game – although I could definitely do a better job of remembering that NO lead is set in stone. The Canadiens came back to win last night’s game 4-3 in a shootout. I should have watched. I didn’t. The gods will not be pleased.

4. #4 Senet1 says:
    March 8, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Mats, I am not sure about the gods and if they will forgive you but I was watching for you and trying my best to control myself after the first period human sacrifice of Price. I could not believe how badly they played. I think Price is starting to question on whether they are playing purposely this way to move him out of the organization. He made about five terrific saves and had no chance on any of the goals. Man I was so upset and almost turned the game off too. When the second period started and they brought Halak in I thought will I will watch a few minutes to see if it gives them any jump. They did play slightly better but then all of a sudden Plekanec got a breakaway and scored and suddenly there were twenty different guys playing hockey. It seemed like it was only a matter of time before they scored again, I do not think Halak had one difficult save to make until late in the third period and of course in overtime. It was like watching two different teams. I was happy for the team and us as Hab fans but I really felt sorry for Price. After the game I tuned into the NHL network and it was like it was all Price’s fault and how much better Halak played. I do not think either of those guys even watched the game. Anyway 6 or 8 points on the road and it could have been 7 maybe 8 for 8. Now back home and lets see what we can do there.

5. #5 Senet1 says:
    March 8, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Habs since 51, you sound like me. I was three in 1951 and I have my old wool montreal sweater on in a picture with my brother and sisters. So I could say habs since 51 too but I kind of think maybe even earlier.
    Anyway, I agree about Markov, he has looked simply ordinary until last night, I think Cory Perry woke him up a few times over the course of the game. I only wish he could have scored in the shoot out.

6. #6 Senet1 says:
    March 8, 2010 at 11:50 pm

A win over Tampa could effectively eliminate them from the playoff mix this is a big four point game. A win against Boston could make it more difficult for them too. Not only that four points would put us is really good shape. Playing the Oilers should be a bonus but we always seem to come up flat against the weak teams and it is a Canadian team that is playing Montreal so there is always a strong rivalry with other canadian teams. If we could somehow manage 6 points with these three games it would be a great boost to making the playoffs and actuall a chance at 7th place. On the other hand I am not sure who I would rather meat Washington to Pittsburg, to me Washington is more vulnerable that Pittsburg and Pittsburg has more playoff experience and better goaltending. One thing going againtst us is with Washington besides the obvious is that Theodore former habs always seem to play stronger against us? But overall, I would rather face Washington.