Game 72: Leafs/Habs

1. #1 Joseph says:
    March 21, 2009 at 5:12 pm

I certainly have my doubts. The Leafs would love nothing more than to help put the Habs in a non-playoff position.

2. #2 Mats Naslund says:
    March 21, 2009 at 5:44 pm

Yeah, you have to expect them to come out firing. I keep expecting to see Montreal beat someone so we can all talk about how the season may be saved.. but the more I think about it.. its not gonna happen. My only hope is that things haven’t gotten so bad in Montreal that Gainey can’t build a playoff team for next season. It would be really sad to have to start rebuilding all over again.

3. #3 Joseph says:
    March 21, 2009 at 8:24 pm

Another wasted Saturday evening.

4. #4 Donnie says:
    March 22, 2009 at 11:13 am

I gotta go up and watch this sh*t on the 31st. What horrible timing to go see my first live game.

5. #5 Ontario habs fan says:
    March 22, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Will everyone please lay off the goalies. No goalie is perfect and even the great Brodeur and Roy have let it soft goals. Anyone who really knows hockey realized that it starts from the forwards back. The goalie is the last defender. The Habs right now are playing tight, not having any fun and are relying on the goalies to bail them out. If the forwards would back check properly, and the defense would clear the puck after the first save, the Habs would be in much better shape.
    The sad part is that this is just steamrolling. I can’t even listen to a Habs game anymore. Even the announcers can’t talk about anything else. Give it a rest. It’s not all on the goalies.

6. #6 groundworking says:
    March 22, 2009 at 5:32 pm

Did anyone hear BGL talking about how the team has to make the playoffs? He mentions that the guys have been talking about how important it is for them to be winners as they pursue contracts next season.

So in the 100th Season of the Montreal Canadiens, these guys are trying to motivate themselves by talking about how important it is to have a winning attitude when trying to get a good contract in the NHL.

Filthy and disgusting.

7. #7 Joseph says:
    March 22, 2009 at 6:29 pm

That’s the unfortunate reality of modern day professional sports. With salaries being what they are (unjustified, unacceptable and simply ludicrous), it’s difficult for atheletes not to play for their own best interests. This gets in the way of the team and respective sport of course.

Incidentally, this is why I had stated much earlier on that the best thing that could happen to hockey is for the NHL to lose franhcises, shrink in size. A business oriented mind might read this and think that I’m on drugs or stupid. To the contrary, Mr. Business, it’s our hopeless mode of ever increasing inflation that destroys the purity of sport (among other things, such as everything). And I apologise for stating this, but anyone who doesn’t see this for what it is is little more than well conditioned and adjusted to a truly ill society.

Over the top? :-)

8. #8 Mats Naslund says:
    March 23, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Its not unusual for Mondays to be a weird day for Habs fans. Typically the team has either won or lost on Saturday night, and Sunday has been spent either reveling in the win, or pondering what went wrong (and recently there has been too much of the latter). Monday, a day the Canadiens rarely play games, is often a lost day for fans; without significance or consequence. Monday is a day for reasoned reflection. After a humiliating loss at the hands of the Maple Leafs on Saturday many had clung to the notion that since Florida had also lost on Saturday night, that it “could be worse”. I myself was tempted to agree. The Habs are currently holding the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference and if the season were to end today, would play what seems like our perennial playoff foes, the Boston Bruins. The fact that the playoff season has not been lost entirely is reason enough for some to cling to the notion that things could in fact still get worse. It was only when I began to reflect on all of the situations that the current version of the 100 year wonder faces, that I clearly had made up my mind that optimism was no longer an option.

Prior to firing Guy Carbonneau, the Habs had enjoyed a small respite solely based on the outstanding play of Jaroslav Halak. He singlehandedly stole games that Montreal had little business winning. Unfortunately, Halak’s streak was cut short by the flu, which also seemingly ended Carbo’s coaching career. Carey Price replaced Halak and has once again suffered a major setback to his game. Once Halak was finally restored to the net, his superb play had vanished along with his cough due to cold. Goaltending has been a HUGE problem for Montreal this season and continues to be an increasingly problematic force playing against the Habs’ chances of a post-season.

People have also often said “It could be worse, Andrei Markov could be injured”. How devastating that would be for Montreal who are being led in scoring by a defenseman? Markov’s 55 points are 7 better than the next closest player and serve as a constant reminder of just how offensively challenged this team is. It is absolutely shameful that the 4th highest producing forward on this team is Robert Lang: a man whose season was ended over 20 games ago. The team is plagued by forwards who have all decided to have career-worst seasons at the same moment, a moment which was been earnestly celebrated as though it was to be our finest. However, the forwards have also struggled mightily on defense, often creating turnovers in dangerous areas and routinely ignoring their duties in assisting the defense in moving the puck out of the defensive zone.

Finally, Canadiens fans have rested easily in the past few years knowing that “at least we know the future of the Canadiens is safe in “the cradle of modern sport”, as Ron MacLean likes to say. This morning reports have emerged that the Gillette family have decided to analyze their holdings in order to assess whether they can afford to run the team going forward. In a year where players have been linked to drug-dealers, star players have lost all confidence and become fragile, and a coach lost his job – now there is talk that the Canadiens could be sold?

At every turn this year I have looked for the positives when only negatives seemed apparent. In our darkest slumps I have looked for the ways in which somehow, the season can be salvaged. I now understand that the disappointment I have felt was a result of my backwards expectations. There was a time not too long ago that I EXPECTED disaster with regards to the Montreal Canadiens, and yet somehow recently I have grown complacent with the comfort of winning. Now I understand that in order to have any joy in the remaining 10 games of this season, I must abandon all hope. I have to assume that there is more disappointment waiting around the bend. Only when I successfully purge my last remaining desires for this season can I truly be pleasantly surprised by anything good. If nothing else this centennial season has taught me that the Hockey Gods are watching, and that any time you try to construct the perfect scenario, they are capable of ruining all. I will not try to find the silver lining in our upcoming Tuesday match up at home with the Atlanta Thrashers. I’ve been down that road before. I’ve seen where it ends. This time I’m going to expect nothing and simply wait for the result, like I should have been doing all along.

9. #9 groundworking says:
    March 23, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Glad I’m not the only one who noticed the Laraque interview. http://habsinsideout.com/otherwing

10. #10 Docphuket says:
    March 23, 2009 at 5:34 pm

The Curse of the Native Indian Burial Grave stikes again and keeps it`s course,Legend is the Center was the site of an ancient native burial ground grave, it was dug up to build the now rink , there has been spirit sighting in and around the grounds and unrest comes to those associated to it`s grounds.
    Legend is Montreal will never again win Stanley cup for as long as it is played in the now centre,stay tuned for more of the curse.

11. #11 Joseph says:
    March 23, 2009 at 6:55 pm

Well that’s just it though. These aren’t local heros anymorem they’re hired commodities from all over the globe. So no surprise at all that the CH means nothing to many of them. It means something to Lapierre, Latendresse, Tanguay, even Kostopolous and Schneider (perhaps to a lesser degree), but how could it possibly mean anything to Kovalev, Plekanec or the Kostitsyns, etc? They inherited it, they weren’t born into it.

Docphuket, stop sniffing glue and leave the deceased native peoples alone. They couldn’t have cared less about hockey or a big shiny cup.

12. #12 dutchman says:
    March 24, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Do you really think it means something to these 3 just because they are french canadiens? I wish I could believe you. It is just a business now to all of them. Any of those 3 would leave next week if another team offered them a multi-million dollar contract. Sad but true.

13. #13 Joseph says:
    March 24, 2009 at 1:52 pm

dutchman, I do not at all disagree with your point. The NHL is defintely a business. In fact it’s more than that – its a full blown corporation. So yes, there’s no question that the French Canadien players in this league also have their own best interests in mind. Of course. My point however is that, regardless of modern day selfishism, that crest is still going to mean more to a player who grew up with a sound understanding of its meaning than it is to a player who grew up largely or entirely ignorant of its meaning. To some, it’s chilhood memories, it’s a family, it’s a meaningful symbol. To others, it’s merely a work uniform.

14. #14 Docphuket says:
    March 24, 2009 at 2:24 pm

There have been ghostly spirits sighting in the building,true facts by people who work there,they have tryed to break the curse by getting Native Sons in the past S. Soury and now C. Price but this will not break the Curse ,spirits are unrested,stay tuned.

15. #15 Joseph says:
    March 24, 2009 at 3:25 pm

I actually remember reading something about those sightings. One article even provided a picture of the aforementioned apparition: This little guy

I don’t want to stay tuned. I’m changing the channel now. ;-)