Game Notes: Habs and Flyers

• The Canadiens are in Philly tonight and with a win they can nail down 5 out of a possible 6 road points to start the season.

Guy Carbonneau is giving the call to David Abeischer after his very strong performance in Toronto.

It’s a normal thing to do, give the hot goalie another start. Only in Montreal does it start a mini controversy 3 games in to the season. Nothing more should be said about it, if Abeischer happens to play badly he won’t start the next one. It’s just basic coaching.

Although still early in the year, people want to see something from Kovalev, Plekanec and Samsonov. The pressure is already on them and the longer they go without scoring points the more pressure they’ll be under.

Carbonneau is also opting for Aaron Downey to get his first action of the year replacing Garth Murray. This swap should happen many times over the year. Murray hasn’t played bad but going into big bad Philadelphia Carbo probably wanted a little more size and grit.

5/6 would be great heading back for the home opener on Saturday.

1. I was wandering if we actually have anyone who is truly gritty and down right a hard playing enforcer? It seems we have some reserved players and we don’t seem to be physical enough. Apart from that, i am now officialy sick of the whole Huet/Aebischer ranglings. I said it once and i WILL say it again – The name on the front is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back. Teamwork wins games plain and simple.

That and a good defence :)

2. Rofs got a point lets just stop this huet/aby shit. both are great goiles.. I knew tht Carbo is going to use Aron Downey for Biger oponents.. And he plyed good towards the end of last season. But Downey with Begin and Dress im not sure if thts a great line for the guy.. any ways i dont knw what it is but i love watching aron downey play hockey..And about the Kovy-Plek-Samso line give it some time..Kovvy was playing on a weaker line last year with Ribs. Samso gota get use to MC stlye of hockey. And Pleck its a new line and he has never had a big role like this in his career. On the brite side the Koivu line is doing great and so is new comer Mike Johnson..same goes for Ninima as Samso just lets give some time…Its only been 2 we have 80 to go. and we havint been doing bad we cud get 5/6 tht wud b great go habs go

SundinSucks

3. the ribs trade was awsome ninima will wrock wonders

4. #4 joshtm says:
    October 11, 2006 at 9:41 am

True to form, Samsonev got a penalty at the worst time, between Samsonev and Kovalev, they must have a contest going on to see who can get the worst penalty at the worst time….it’s like the old song, “it’s my party and I’ll cry if I want to”….

5. About the Samsonov-Plekanec-Kovalev line: It is certainly not a lack of effort that is the problem. One could say that sometimes they even seem to try too hard. The problem is that they never seem to get set up in the attacking zone (unless on a powerplay). They always try to get in with fancy plays and most of the time the puck gets sent down the ice.
    Compare with the Koivu line, they keep things simple, dump the puck in when necessary, and get set up in an attacking position with both Montreal defencemen inside the blue line helping out the attack MUCH more often than the Kovalev line.
    Thus, the remedy would be to keep things simple, play basic hockey, get set up, and only when things are going better try those fancy plays where you skate past 3 guys and put it in.
    Maybe in part it’s because Higgins, Koivu and Ryder are all good at hustling for the puck in the corner, while the Samsonov line doesn’t hustle that much whenever they decide to dump the puck in. Maybe the line needs a hustler like Latendresse.
    As for Kovalev, he hasn’t been doing that great but he is the only Montreal forward with at least a point in each game.

6. The Kovalev-Samsonov-Plekanec line will take a while to gel. Understand that there is a sophomore center between two wingers who never proceed with the puck in a straight line. They dip, they step back, they curve and cut in, they backpass, deke and then look for a linemate to pass to. The line might just need a Latendresse or Johnson to add some crunch to a wing. Three similar players cannot gel all the time.

As for the Flyers tonight, we’ll get to find out how slow they really have gotten. If Bonk and other centers assigned to cover Forsberg can limit his line yo one goal or less, we have our two points bagged.

I call it 4-2 Habs with the winner by Higgins!

7. #7 Jack Tornton says:
    October 11, 2006 at 6:33 pm

Reality Check:

I just don’t know what to add to what you just said!!!!
    We just need to Latendresse to that 2nd line Impretty sure evertyhing will turn perfect… [Dind't Latendresse proved he could even play on the first line???]

I think Carbo is just giving chances to everyone to prove themselves , and as a result he would chose the best players to fit them in the esecond line. As far as i see this team I think that idf he tried Latendresse-Plecks-Kovi we would have one of the best combo in the league!{And by the way* No way Latendresse can reach the 35 goals plateau if he stays in the 4th line}!

8. CHRISTIPHER HUET NEEDS TO WORK ON HIS BLOKING IN THE TOP RIGHT!!!

9. #9 CH fan1 says:
    October 11, 2006 at 10:07 pm

What about the Habs? I noticed lots of speed from them tonight. All they have to do now, is stop taking so many penalties!They are taking way too many stupid penalties. It almost cost them tonight. I think they need to get a bit more in sync, and then I think they will score more goals. Kovalev looked better, controlling plays more, and scored a goal, so hopefully he’s back on track. Will Samsanov ever score? I think they should put Latendresse on the 2nd line with kovalev and Plekanac.Bonk needs to go. Never does anything.Begin is much better.

10. Bonk!! Had a great game from what I saw …he was a defensive force out there.And playing better every game I have seen this esason so far.Jeez I saw a different game then you:=)A lot of the penalties were very very lame…holding the stick..what stick??Ryder for interference…from where he wasn’t even close to the guy.

October 11, 2006 at 10:59 pm

I agree bonk played great.People need to realize that bonk’s role on this team is not one of a goal scorer (but its nice when he chips in) he is a checker,kills penalties.Niinama had a real solid game i thought too

12. If you noticed what Forsberg didn’t do, but noticed that the Flyers were 0 for 8 on the PP, then either you aknowledge Bonk’s contribution or you return to hockey school 101.

Wins are not added up the goals and assists columns. When your third line pluggers can shut down the other teams top line, it allows our #1 line to get away from going head to head with their and thus possibly neutralizing our offense.

I am quite surprised by Carbonneau’s coaching so far, given that he has been manoevering well to get his matchups without the last line change.

I was also pleased with Niinimaa’s play, he’s coming along well and the trade looks better each game.

And hey, I wasn’t too far off on my prediction!

13. Was it me or did the reffing in last night’s game almost look like they were trying to give the home team the advantage! I Counted 3 GARBAGE calls, all on montreal ! Especially the one in the last minute where Dandy’s stick was being held by forsberg and he gets called for hauling him down!Ayway, that being said Abs looked *#@^ing amazing (Reminds me a touch of Hasek’s sprawling. Bonk and Johnson looked awesome together,The Koivu line, well, was the Koivu line!! and it seemed that the Kovalev line started to work things out, but I’m not to sure that this is actually a great line, I think that Samsonov and Kovolev are a little too into the pretty playmaking! Maybe switch up the 2nd and 3rd lines! ANY IDEAS?

14. #14 snake says:
    October 12, 2006 at 2:33 pm

Was anyone else surprised with the speed that Downey showed last night?

I did not realize he had wheels on him. First line was okay not their usually pests. 2nd line skated well and third line shut em down. My only concern was our lask of urgency clearing the puck out of our zone. When the oppostion clears it in we sem to be ver patient. Rivet especially, why does he have so many problems getting the puck past our blue line. He seems very clumbsy at times. It scares the crap outta me. Komi has speed problems as well but can dominate in the corners so I can live with him. Ninimaa has impressed SO FAR.

15. #15 snake says:
    October 12, 2006 at 2:35 pm

When we play fast relentless forechecking teams like Buffalo that is where are lack of mobility on the blueline will hurt us. Thats what Carolina took advantage of last year. This is why Markov is so important to us. I expect abig game Sat from him. Maybe we should sit Rivet and play Streit on Saturday.

Oh and SOuray is playing well but no one gives him credit. Why?