Good News

• The Islanders lose to Ottawa and Carolina loses to New Jersey. Meaning the Habs don’t lose any more ground.

As far as gaining ground, the chance is there if they pick up point(s) tonight in Pittsburgh and the ever important Leafs game on Saturday night.

The Habs back to back games record this year is atrocious and they’ll have to find a way to break that trend.

If they go all out tonight and have nothing left for the more important game against Toronto it could mean trouble. Especially if they don’t come out with 2 points tonight. Then again the Habs ‘going all out’ doesn’t seem to happen very often anyway.

If the luck continues and the Leafs and Rangers lose tonight and the Habs steal all 4 points this weekend, the standings will look much much better for the Habs.

March 16, 2007 at 11:35 am

Tonight will be a big test.I think a statement will be made tonight.Feeding off the last game i have a feeling that they will come out to play tonight.Habs are in a better position now than the were 2 days ago with other team losing.Remember gainey has never missed the playoffs in management with dallas or montreal.This is the biggest weekend for our boys this season.I think by sunday morning we will all know how bad this team really wants to win and how much heart they really do have.

2. #2 Dalley1 says:
    March 16, 2007 at 11:38 am

Well said………

They have to prove that before x-mass was not a FLUKE. And that winning team back again……………….

March 16, 2007 at 11:44 am

GO HABS GO BABY

4. #4 Jaroslav Halak says:
    March 16, 2007 at 11:47 am

Before Christmas was a fluke but the team is not as bad as it has been over the past 30 odd games. They are somewhere in the middle.

Also, I am not patrick roy so stop putting pressure on me!

5. #5 Dalley1 says:
    March 16, 2007 at 12:02 pm

A man and his wife were sitting in the living room discussing a “Living Will�
    “Just so you know, I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and fluids from a bottle. If that ever happens, just pull the plug.”

His wife got up, unplugged the TV and threw out all the beer.

6. #6 Dalley1 says:
    March 16, 2007 at 12:12 pm

If your Aunt had Nuts she’d be your Uncle……………LOL……..

7. #7 Higgy21 says:
    March 16, 2007 at 12:17 pm

Win three in a row and the stanley cup will be mentioned by those bandwagoners.

8. #8 smiler2729 says:
    March 16, 2007 at 12:20 pm

To any Leaf fans that slither on to this board:

The Leafs suck. It should be one word: Leafsuck. You can offically add it to the name… The Toronto Maple Leafsucks…
    Or is it Toronto Arenas? Or Toronto St.Pats?? So many name changes since your inception, isn’t it time for another? How about the Toronto Torontos since you guys love yourselves so much.

Maple Leafs isn’t even correct grammar, the plural of maple leaf is Maple Leaves… dumbasses.

No wonder you don’t retire any player’s numbers, none are good enough. What, is Darryl Sittler gonna get introduced to that muted polite applause that you gave the mighty Dave Keon and talk about how he fluked 6 goals and 4 assists one night against a minor league goalie subbing for the Bruins? Salming? Please, what the hell did he accomplish in 17 seasons in Toronto, developped a coke habit having to play for these morons.

Oh, I could go on, Leaf fans, oh, sorry, ‘Leaf Nation’. Try adopting a nickname not already thought of by Oakland Raider and Boston Red Sox fans, see you fans can’t even think for yourselves. Every opinion I ever hear out of a Leaf fan comes from something they heard from their local dumbass media.

Let’s see to put things in perspective in this season where both the Habs and the Leafsucks are struggling, we will improve next year where you will always suck. In the big picture, the Habs are 318-271-88-2 including a 201-95-43-0 mark in Montreal against the Laffs. 24 Cups to what, 11 or something? We’ve won 11 Cups since your last one in ’67!!! We’ve dominated in the 6-team league, the 16-team league of the ’70s and have prevailed twice in the last twenty years while “Canada’s Team” the Laffs haven’t made it to the Finals since that last win in 1967. At least I’ve seen my team win the Cup in colour… a lot. Hmmm, 24 Cups… and the Habs are 100 years old in 2009, let’s see… that adds up to roughly 1 Stanley Cup VICTORY every 4 years of our existence.

So in summing up here, any Leaf fan really doesn’t have an argument when it comes to debating the Habs-Leafs rivalry so it must be their pure envy that fires them up.

Graffitti seen in downtown Montreal: Life’s a bitch and then you move to Toronto.

9. #9 Dalley1 says:
    March 16, 2007 at 12:31 pm

Smiler2729…..You bad…………But I like it…………..

Eh…..I live in Toronto………….

10. #10 Dalley1 says:
    March 16, 2007 at 12:46 pm

How many of us Habs Fans have their playoff beards or are growing one.

11. #11 Nice Try says:
    March 16, 2007 at 12:47 pm

Good thing you didn’t have to go back 14 years plus to show that the Habs were better than the Leafs. Living that much in the past could be embarrassing.

‘Every opinion I ever hear out of a Leaf fan comes from something they heard from their local dumbass media.’

Considering this website’s content I think that this must be an ironic statement.

The team name hasn’t changed since 1927 princess.

So the Toronto media is crappy but the Montreal media that scares UFAs from going to Montreal is good? enjoy not attracting any UFAs and talking about the 70s as if they were last year.

12. #12 Yikes says:
    March 16, 2007 at 12:48 pm

‘How many of us Habs Fans have their playoff beards or are growing one.

I have mine all year round. But I will not trim it (or any other body part,until June……..’

That’s a good attitude but that’s also kind of scary…

March 16, 2007 at 12:49 pm

I wonder when mats sundin retires if he will sell his teeth on ebay?

14. #14 smiler2729 says:
    March 16, 2007 at 12:51 pm

Why are there even Leaf fans coming on to this board? I guess it’s the hockey equivalent of penis envy.

Like I said, any Leaf fan can’t say shit cuz the big picture speaks volumes.

15. #15 Dalley1 says:
    March 16, 2007 at 1:04 pm

Yike……Wha….Really….Wha’s scary………….

16. #16 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 16, 2007 at 1:08 pm

Dr. Dalley1

Keep that scalpel holstered buddy we wouldn’t want you cutting off any body parts in June or ever for that matter… We know its tough living in Toronto, but its not worth it!

17. #17 Dalley1 says:
    March 16, 2007 at 1:14 pm

It is worth it coutNY_HabsFan.

I work for the Toronto District School Board (when I’m not Doctoring). You should see the look on all those Laff Fans when I wear my Habs Jersey. Priceless. Then I tease them about how much the Laffs suck.

Living in T.O has it’s advantages…………….LOL…………

18. #18 nigelski says:
    March 16, 2007 at 1:18 pm

It’s not just their back to back record that’s worrying, it’s the weekend record that’s pretty bad too. What’s with the Leaf rant here? Don’t all of us hate the leafs? Well, not Nice Try, apparently.

19. #19 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 16, 2007 at 1:26 pm

Nice Try – Has been stinking up the blog all day under different aliases… Something to fire us up for Saturday.

20. #20 Dalley1 says:
    March 16, 2007 at 1:28 pm

Hate is such a harsh word.

Lets say we “dislike the Laffs with a passion” …………

21. #21 Dalley1 says:
    March 16, 2007 at 1:32 pm

If you look on the Canadiens.com website, the front page is Huet, Kovalev & Koivou.

Now if we were to trade them, who do you think should be on the front page of the website………………

22. #22 nigelski says:
    March 16, 2007 at 1:38 pm

Not samsonov…

23. #23 big al says:
    March 16, 2007 at 1:40 pm

jarvis,carbo,&bob g. he he he !!!!!

24. #24 Dalley1 says:
    March 16, 2007 at 1:42 pm

What abou….Huey, Leuy & Duey………….

25. #25 smiler2729 says:
    March 16, 2007 at 1:56 pm

Three times I’ve tried to post my imitation of Mats Sundin being interviewed but for some reason, it doesn’t get through. Don’t know why, there’s no foul language. Must be the hockey gods don’t give a hoot about anything Leafs.

26. #26 Joshtm says:
    March 16, 2007 at 2:04 pm

Three cheers for my good buddies Smiler and Dalley! Hip Hip Hooray! How about a picture of those three monkeys, “see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil”….hmmm, sounds like a Guy Carboneau press conference…

27. #27 smiler2729 says:
    March 16, 2007 at 2:05 pm

And if I hear one more Leaf fan whine about Kerry Fraser not calling a high stick on Gretzky in ’93, I’ll puke.
    It was Game 6 and you lost that one only to come back to Toronto and lose Game 7 on home ice, gimme a break!
    All’s I hear is how they ‘woulda beat the Habs’ in the Final! Yeah, no problem, we weren’t rested at all after disposing of Glenn Healy and the Islanders in 5 games while Toronto had to play Game 7 in all three of their rounds, geez. Oh yeah, two words Leaf boy, PATRICK – ROY.

28. #28 smiler2729 says:
    March 16, 2007 at 2:07 pm

What the hell is joshtm talking about now? Verbal diarrhea. Hey VD, get over yourself, the coach and GM are here to stay.

29. #29 Joshtm says:
    March 16, 2007 at 2:12 pm

I see smiler thinks he Gillett. By the way George, that guy Bob Gainey, and your coach Guy, they didn’t do such a shit hot job this year….its like getting three strikes in baseball George, in America they would call Bob and Guy “yellow”…

30. #30 smiler2729 says:
    March 16, 2007 at 2:13 pm

Hey VD, zzzzzzzz. *yawn* You bore me.

31. #31 Joshtm says:
    March 16, 2007 at 2:22 pm

I see Smiler didn’t take his meds today, say hi to your alternate personality Dalley for me won’t you?

32. #32 smiler2729 says:
    March 16, 2007 at 2:24 pm

Hi Dalley from joshtheman!

33. Gentlemen:

It’s all a numbers games from here on in.

11- the number of games remaining.

660- the number of minutes that the Habs’ players have to play with maximal effort and heart.

22- the number of players that have to give their best efforts.

5- the number of teams vying for the remaining two playoff places.

3- the number of goaltenders that we might see in net before the end of the regular season; also the number of times that we play against the Bruins.

2- the number of points separating those same 5 teams; also the same number of times that we play against the Leafs.

0- the number of prima donnas that we want wearing Habs’ jerseys on the ice before the season is out; also the same number of posts by joshtm today!

Gentlemen, does it get any better than this?

34. Damn! I cannot believe he posted before I got post #33 completed! Two times, no less.

I am really at a loss to explain why he keeps coming back. Persoanlly, I think joshtm is a psuedonym for Sergei Samsanov which explains why he has all that extra time to be on this site.

Also, explains why he hates Bob Gainey so much.

Hey joshtm (aka Sergei Samsanov) if you spent even half the effort actually playing hockey that you do running down the Habs’ organization, the Habs’ GM, the Habs’ coach, the Habs’ captain, and the other Habs’ fans, you would be challenging Crosby for the scoring title!

35. Alright, I have got to change the ending to post #33. Thanks, joshtm!

0- the number of prima donnas that we want wearing Habs’ jerseys on the ice before the season is out; also the same number of SANE posts by joshtm today.

There, that ending actually works on any day of the week.

PS. Great Maple Leaves rant, smiler! Was that just spontaneous or were you responding to something?

36. #36 Dalley1 says:
    March 16, 2007 at 2:37 pm

Hello. Joshtm.

37. #37 Dalley1 says:
    March 16, 2007 at 2:43 pm

“Having said that… Are you ready to end this shit right now ??? I will if you agree not to bash anyone else ok”…….

I said the above.

I extended the olive branch twice. There will not be a third.

I was the bigger man to offer peace. But I guess you don’t want to. It show’s the true person that you really are.

Enough of this crap. I will have to sign in as some one else like so many people in here do……….

38. The Canadiens need to come out and play hard both games this weekend, not just tonight as the game tomorrow against the Leafs is even more important. They need to beat the Leafs tomorrow. The last time we faced them back in February at the Bell Centre, we beat them and played perhaps our best game against them this season. That is the way we need to play against them tomorrow night. The only reason the score was closer was becasue Aebischer let the Leafs back in it. If he plays like he did early in the season when he was carrying us, we should be able to beat the Leafs. Go Habs Go!

Ziman

39. #39 Alias says:
    March 16, 2007 at 2:47 pm

“Hate is such a harsh word.

Lets say we “dislike the Laffs with a passionâ€? …………”

That’s a good attitude. Too much hate in the world. Why not love the Habs instead of hating all of the players. They need everyone’s support. It can’t be easy to play knowing that the entire fanbase hates you. No wonder Kovalev has vertigo, the fans veer from on the bandwagon to off it.

40. smiler:

Speaking of the “local dumbass media” in TO. Did you read that garbage by Stephen Brunt in the Globe and Mail which argued that the reaction against Kovalev was ethnically motivated? What kind of crap is that?

If I am a hockey players that happens to have a name that ends in “ev”, does that give me a right to play without effort, emotion or heart? Am I allowed to stop scoring? Am I allowed to try and embarass my employer, my coach, and my GM? Am I allowed to unfairly criticize my teammates? Am I allowed to eat my own young (the rookies)?

You see, Alex! What you said was wrong! You might have gotten away with saying it if you, yourself, proved that you were a leader both off and on the ice, but you aren’t. Therein, lies the real problem!

If the TO media is so sympathetic to your plight, why don’t they do us a favor and take you off our hands for $4.5 million per year?

Shut up, TO media jerks! When the Habs were doing well in the first half of the season, you did everything within your power to try and look the other way. When the Habs start winning again and beat out your poor Leafs for a playoff spot, you will go back to making your same old, lame ass excuses and trying to ignore the Habs!

Whew, I feel better now!

41. #41 Sheldon Souray says:
    March 16, 2007 at 2:55 pm

I didn’t know that this stat was true:

71.9% of Sheldon Souray’s points have come on the power play and another 5.3% have come short handed leaving just 22.8% of Souray’s 57 points coming even strength.

Do you think that I can still get $5M+ out of Gainey? I am glad that he didn’t trade me but doesn’t that sound a little ridiculous? I mena, 22.8% at even strength. Over 60% of the game is played at even strength.

And Rob, are you trying to say that the Montreal media doesn’t get a hard on for french players? They still ask koivu why he hasn’t learned french. Latendresse has been hailed as a saviour despite just being an ok rookie. They put crazy pressure on the Habs so much so that UFAs don’t want to deal with it.

Toronto’s media is bad but our press in insane. I know I saw people saying the same thing in other threads.

42. #42 Joshtm says:
    March 16, 2007 at 3:02 pm

I agree with Smiler giving the laffs fan their just desert!

6 minutes. That is the amount of time that Koivu has averaged. Per game on hooks. Average that out over 10 games, hmmm…doesn’t take a rocket scientist that Koivu wants the habs to lose in his own perverse way….keep Koivu off the ice for the remainder of the year, and take the rookies to all the games, and chances are the habs get their foot into the playoffs. Whether they get the toes chopped off is up to the vets on the team…

43. Sheldon:

Love the slap shot, by the way!

What I am saying is that I have read these same stories in both the National Post and the Globe and Mail by TO whiners who like to use this stuff to their own advantage. Montreal is biased against ethnic minorities, blah blah blah.

I personally don’t criticize Kovalev because he is Russian; I criticize him because he is a self serving drifter who doesn’t show up for one quarter of the games. He is also aloof, and really doesn’t seem to be a team player. He rarely hits, backchecks, or even scores, for that matter. He is being paid $4.5 million per year to produce which he doesn’t… to lead which he doesn’t… to be a good example to the fans and the younger players which he isn’t… this guy has no idea which side his bread is buttered.

However, I am supposed to feel sorry for him according to both the Globe and Mail and the National Post. Gimmeee a break!

44. #44 Joshtm says:
    March 16, 2007 at 3:10 pm

Alright Dalley, I accept, and I am sorry for all the things I have said and I promise to be a good boy from now on, there are you happy?

I hope just to piss off the Toronto media, Don Cherry and Bob Cole and TSN that Montreal wins all the remaining games and makes it into round two…if only just to get even with Toronto!

45. #45 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 16, 2007 at 3:13 pm

6 mins?
    Koivu averages 1 min per game. He’s played 70 games and has 70 penalty minutes.

46. #46 Mats Sundin says:
    March 16, 2007 at 3:14 pm

Don’t read the National Post, it’s garbage. In Toronto we use it to line our bird cages.

47. #47 Darren Dreger says:
    March 16, 2007 at 3:15 pm

Look at what I just wrote! How dare I tell the truth! I must be biased! Wait, haven’t some people here said the same things? They must be TO Media bitches as well!

Hi Darren,

Just wondering, in your opinion, how do you account for what’s happening to the Montreal Canadiens? It’s been a while since I’ve seen a team slide so fast and so dramatically in a single season. How does that happen among professional athletes? It’s one thing to start off slow and stay there (ie. Philadelphia), but to compete successfully for several months and then self-destruct is quite another! I really thought there was enough talent in Montreal both on and off the ice to carry this franchise forward.

Curious to hear your thoughts,

Dave Foulkes
    Nova Scotia

DD: Dave, there are too many question marks. At the start of the season, I openly questioned the Canadiens depth up the middle and used the signing of Samsonov as part of the reason I didn’t think this team would make the playoffs. However, out of the gate Montreal’s goaltending was superb and guys like Radek Bonk were realizing, if not surpassing expectations.

Untimely injuries have had a negative impact; Sergei Samsonov has the dubious distinction of being the biggest free agent bust of 06-07 and the Habs’ goaltending of late has been average at best.

Throw in a rookie head coach who understandably has made a few mistakes, if not on the bench, then off, in managing some of the turmoil that has found its way into his dressing room, and it all adds up to the Montreal Canadiens now fighting for a playoff spot.

48. #48 Dalley1 says:
    March 16, 2007 at 3:26 pm

Joshtm. Are you serious?

49. #49 Joshtm says:
    March 16, 2007 at 3:27 pm

Hey CountNY its based on the last 25 games. Koivu has been a really bad boy since the X-mas break! He has accumalated the majority of his penalties in the last 25 games, I am sure people can’t forget not once but twice he was able to turn a power play, a five on three to a short handed loss, almost back to back games even!

50. #50 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 16, 2007 at 3:42 pm

Can not deny, I was frustrated Josh, but he has settled a little on the stupid penalties as of late. He got a few questionable ones, maybe because of the history.

He’s always one of the hardest working habs on the Ice. Not just with his stick!