Guillaume Latendresse is a Pro

• I eat my own words.

Guillaume Latendresse has been retained by the Montreal Canadiens and is now an official NHL player.

Latendresse’s strong play made it virtually impossible to send him back to Junior without raising hell among fans and media. But it wasn’t the media and fans that made the decision. Gui deserved the chance after showing he can score, play physical and not be a defensive liability in the NHL game.

Latendresse seems to excel when the competition and opposition is strongest. With Latendresse the Canadiens mediocre physical presence is now improved and the Habs now have a potential ‘power forward’ which they’ve lacked for years.

So what happens next?

Latendresse is now ineligible to return to Junior and will be spending the rest of his days in Montreal.

The pressure is on. Making the team is one thing, pre-season games are pre-season games. It’s the big time for Gui now. Will he go on to surpass expectations and perform like Patrice Bergeron did for Boston? Or will the pressure get to him?

Either way, having him on the team makes the games even more fun to watch.

Congratulations to Latendresse.

1. His contract is $850k a year for 3 years.

Not bad for a 19 yr old.

2. #2 superfan says:
    September 29, 2006 at 9:29 am

congrats kid, i remember watching this guy in last years camp, i knew he had something special in him. it’s not certain that he will dominate as a nhl superstar but if we didn’t give him a shot we would never find out. i like his SIZE, it’s something the habs have been missing up front. it’s going to be an great season! the french media now have their hero! let’s hope he doesn’t choke under the microscope, good luck guillaume. guillaume latendresse for prime minister!

3. Some excitement to kick of the 2006-2007 season…schweeeeeeet!!

Good work Guillaume, now show everybody they made the right decision!

Go Habs Go!

4. man, between guy’s size and ribeiro’s new three pounds of muscle we should be set, lol.
    congrats to him. i havn’t had a chance to see him play but should be interesting and fun to watch.

5. #5 Christos says:
    September 29, 2006 at 10:23 am

WE’ll see what happens…kostitsyn should be up with the club too though, by getting rid of downey. We’ll see..

6. #6 HabsFanStuckInOttawa says:
    September 29, 2006 at 10:42 am

Why Why Why Why Why….do we care about Lats…yes, good player. I saw him play against Ottawa last night at Scotiabank Place. Yes he is good…yes we have a better offence…WHERE the HECK is our defence…wtf!! Traverse?? MY GOD!…Just once I would like to see a game where the defence can clear the puck out of the zone in PK and where the D isn’t getting split on every drive! Phew…sorry, had to vent…it was painful to watch the game last night…kinda felt embarrased to be wearing my habs jersey in enemy territory.

7. Grats for Tenderness! Latendresse deserved his spot on the team. Can’t wait to see him in the real season!

8. #8 Louis Papineau says:
    September 29, 2006 at 2:19 pm

Yeah you better eat your words.
    For the dude that runs this blog you should try to not write coments that will blow up in your face.

Latendresse is full of energy and thats what we need.

The best thing he said was after he got kicked out of the game against Tampa.:

Je n’essayais pas de le blesser mais de lui faire mal.
    Thats what we need finally a french guy that can hit and is not afraid to get in traffic.

Congrats
    Chapeau

9. I honestly thought that he never was going to be given a shot by management. KNowing the way they like to mold their propects. But it was obvious he did not give them a choice and earned a spot. 20 goals this year? I think so.

10. Great that Latendresse is in the team. Now, it’s time to trade Perezhogin and move Kostitsin up.

11. hey louis,
    relax budy…its just an opinion and people are entitled to their own. (unless you’re a leafs fan…just kidding)

12. #12 koivufan says:
    September 29, 2006 at 5:05 pm

i am so happy right now, he is gonna be a great player. congradulations latendresse

13. I enjoy seeing up-and-coming players like Latendresse, Ferland, Danis, Maxwell, Cote, Milroy, Locke, and Chipchura. For once in a long time the Canadiens have a good set of prospects. Nothing against the European players (Kostitsyn, Perezhogan etc.) but in Montreal it is good for the fans to see Canadian players suceed…especially the ones from La Belle Province.

14. Some people fail to realize I sometimes write ‘controversial’ things to generate traffic to the site, generate links and generate discussion.

Which apparently works quite well.

15. I heard something about a leafs fan? where? Lets kick his ass!

September 29, 2006 at 7:53 pm

Hahahahaha IT MUST BE TUCKER

17. Great to have this guy….he could score 20+ goals this year with attitude!!!
    Kostitsin will get his chance and develope nicely.

18. There are several ways his season could go. He could be the next Marek Svatos or Peter Prucha and tear it up in his rookie season out of nowhere.(Let’s face it, no matter how much media attention he get’s from the Quebec media, with Malkin, Wolski, Radulov and Kessel, Latendresse is basically flying under the radar everywhere else.)

Or, like most young players straight out of junior(with the exception of Crosby) and much like Perezhogin, Guillaume will get of to a great start but the riggers of a full 82 game non stop scheduale will catch up with him and he will wear down before getting used to it in the later portion of the season.

Other intangibles include, were is he going to play? There’s no way he will play on the fourth line because that would be a waste of his talent and would stunt his growth or the #1 line which is set(Higgins, Koivu, Ryder). So it comes down to the #2, #3 lines or spare part who spents most of his time in the press box.

Ribeiro, judging by the preseason games, is not going to work with Samsonov and Kovalev, who are guaranteed to play on the second line maybe just do to their big contracts, because he can’t keep up to them. So I’d like to see Plekanec play with those two because I think he’s going to breakout this season and have a huge year, he could be the European Brad Richards(Plays the powarplay, penalty kills, has offensive upside and is great in his own end).

The third line is the Enigma. I believe that Ribeiro and Latendresse continue to show a chemistry between each other so I’d like to see them together but what to do with Perezhogin? Do you platoon them until one proves to be better than the other? Johnson will definitly play the other wing on this line.

To be frank, with the injuries to Coté, Souray, and Bouillon, we need a defenceman. So I believe we should trade Perezhogin and a draft pick or two for a quality top 4 defenceman. We may need to include more than that like another prospect but I think Gainey needs to do that. Maybe try and pry Paul Martin or David Hale from Jersey or a veteran from another team.

On a side note I’m shocked that Rutherford traded Jack Johnson. What and IDIOT. That guy is going to be an absolute stud for L.A. To bad the Habs didn’t have what it took to trade for him.

19. #19 Jack Tornton says:
    September 29, 2006 at 11:10 pm

SEE……………
    See all those that were up against me! Now I need some serious apologies..I got bashed at; they called me and described as a leaf fan…And where is this “What are mumbling about Jack thornton”?? You better stick with your intial name…lol! Im just kidding..no offence! I’m just amazed about the news! Not only congrats to Latendresse but to all the Canadiens fans since the success of our team is systematically ours too!

Mistakes happen and “Reality Check” I forgive you for being against my idea which was to bring up Latendresse to our lineup. I just hope he proves he deserves the spot.( And to all those who wish he scores 20 goals; always wish and for more! I think he’ll attein the 35 goals plateau!)

20. One guy I love to watch is Plekanec. What a talent and so over shadowed.
    When talking about our young guys, in my opinion Plekanec and Higgins are the best.
    Time to get Plekanec some major ice time.
    Before game #20 he will replace Ribeiro as our second line centre.

Latendresse will be the superstar we so long craved for.
    Good luck kid and bring home the hardware!

Stanley 2006!

September 30, 2006 at 8:26 am

I know i am getting ahead of myself here but what happens next year?I know we will lose a couple of players to ufa and that might not be a bad thing with our prospects who are so close to making the jump (kostitsyn,chipchura,grabovsky,yemilen,ferland ect)but is it really a good idea to have this many rookies make the team?Dont get me wrong i am not saying that all of them will make the team lol but these kids are going to be n.h.l ready real real soon and they should not be held back.Its a good problem to have but i think gainey will pull the trigger on some kind of trade involving a prospect or two but who knows when that could be.I my honest opinion i would hate to see any of our young guys leave but what do you do?

22. Habs#1 may have something going on with the talent of rookies in the nhl. there’s no doubt that the montreal media wil be ALL over him this year. but with Malkin, Wolski, Radulov and Kessel all dooking (sp?) it out this may be a great opportunity for latendress to fly in under the radar and have that much less pressure on him.

pactum, no clue what to do will al the prospects. its sad but true…someone is going to have to go and even though your list is just a portion of the up-and-comings i don’t really want to see any of them go to an eastern team (especially within the division.)

my idea is to try to give a couple to LA and someone else (not sure what they are in need of but we do have two golies) and have Jack Johnson head over here (and maybe someone else…depending on what we give them)

23. Jack thornton;

I dont think I really gave you a hard time for saying that I think I was just pessimistic about him actually making an impact. However I am thrilled the way things turned out. HOwever I will hold you to the 35 goal prediction.

September 30, 2006 at 4:22 pm

35 pts i think

25. My dead grama knows more about hockey than you

26. #26 CH tattooed on the heart says:
    September 30, 2006 at 7:41 pm

Hey everybody! Mike Ribeiro just got traded to Dallas with a 6th round pick for Janne Niinima and a 5th round pick. That Gainey is unpredictable.

27. #27 Habs heartland 1 says:
    September 30, 2006 at 8:04 pm

I am in heaven! no more Ribeiro! Thank God! Also , thank you Mr. Gainey. I couldn’t bear the idea of Ribeiro for another year. Should we all sing Na Na goodbye? We probably will be out of Dallas in 1 year, and out of hockey in 2 years. I wonder who will center the 2nd line. Plekanac? Now, go and get Yanic Perrault. Nobody has claimed him, and I think hw would be a great asset for the habs. Also, he’s great at winning facoffs, and he scored 20 goals last year. comments?

28. Talk about Gainey pulling a rabbit out of his hat: great work, though it makes the Travers signing even more of a mystery. It also clears up the dilemma resulting from the Latrendresse acsention.

I agree with HH1: get Yanic now. We all remember the face-off troubles against the ‘Canes in the last 4 games!!

29. Kovalev-Plekanec-Samsonov line explotes in the third period with 3 goals to give Montreal a 6-5 win over the senators! Not bad!

Ribeiro for Ninimaa: well, this could be good, though I was hoping that Ribeiro would be a part of a trade for a better player. Ribeiro might have an explosive year in Dallas. Ninimaa isn’t too bad anyways, he is underrated as a defenceman, is pretty solid and has size. The trade also clears some room, Montreal has an excess of forwards. Because of this, Im not sure how Perreault could be accomodated in the team. We would have to trade Perezhogin for some draft pick. But I don’t think Gainey even likes Perreault, since he let him go for free a couple of years ago.

Latendress didn’t get too much ice-time this game. Less than 8 minutes I think. The only other player to get a little less was Perezhogin.

30. #30 Habs Fan says:
    September 30, 2006 at 9:49 pm

Canadiens Acquire Niinimaa From Stars for Ribeiro

31. To Jack – I don’t mean to kick up dust here, but I never once stated that Latendresse would or wouldn’t make the team. I have not posted anything here in two weeks. If you’d like to reference where I said that – good luck finding it. I also noticed, looking back that you mentioned my name a few times concerning certain things. Maybe my ghost had a presence, but again – it wasn’t me saying anything. Sorry about that, I just hope it clears up the confusion. Did you miss me that much – didn’t LOL.

For the record, I have always beleived that with the right effort Gui could make it. With the addition by subtraction that is the Ribeiro deal, I am excited as hell about how much better the Canadiens have just gotten in the last 72 hours!

Way to go Bob!
    Way to go Gui!
    Wat to go Pleks!

I’m also grinning from ear to ear – I stole Plekanec as a late pick in my pool!

32. #32 koivufan says:
    October 1, 2006 at 9:58 am

ribeiro gone is great news. how do you guys think the lines will look like?

33. #33 habsfan says:
    October 1, 2006 at 2:55 pm

the lines will be as follows now:

Latendresse-Koivu-Ryder
    Samsonov-Higgins-Kovalev
    Perezhogin-Plekanec-Johnson
    Begin-Bonk-Murray

rumours that kostystin might be called up for the 3rd or 4th line.

the newly formed samsonov-plekanec-kovalev line is clicking, doing most of the damage last night, so the lines mentioned earlier might be changed slightly.
    i can’t figure out the d-fence pairs exactly, but the six on friday will be markov, souray, niinamaa, dandenault, rivet and komisarek.

montreal has improved by just getting rid of reberio, because he is a bad influence. many blame him for distracting theodore and turning the once vezina trophy winner into nothing.

great summer for gainey and co.
    go habs go

34. #34 habsfan says:
    October 1, 2006 at 2:57 pm

by the way, i am expecting gainey to now waive traverse since aquiring niinamaa

35. #35 habsfan says:
    October 1, 2006 at 3:00 pm

latendrese will score 20-25 goals, and have 40-50 points.

36. #36 Jack Tornton says:
    October 1, 2006 at 3:42 pm

lines:

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
    Samsonov-Plex-Kovi
    Latendresse-Jonhson-Perezhogin
    those little monsters(Downey-Bonk-Begin)not too sure ’bout the order

37. #37 Habs#1 says:
    October 1, 2006 at 6:25 pm

NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, HEY HEY HEY, GOOD BYE. NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, HEY HEY HEY, GOOD BYE.

See ya! Good Riddance and So long Mikey you lazy underacheiving whiner. The last straw was probably when he said he’d help out Latendresse. Gainey didn’t want Ribeiro coming anywhere near Guillaume.

As for Niinamaa, i’ve seen him play a lot over the years since I live in Edmonton and I can tell you that Gainey just fleeced the Stars. Niinamaa has had a couple of injury plagued seasons and he was never happy playing on Long Island but I believe that he will have a rebound year and can be a really good 3rd, 4th , 5th defenceman.

38. Niinamaa HATED where he was playing in the last few years. He needs good coaching and perhaps a more positive mindset which he never seemed to gain from thes teams. He does give up the odd no brainier from time to time…But this guy I believe is fairly good and can improve. Last year because of injuries and benching lost his confidence. He was unhappy with the Stars. Ribeiro…ever since he faked his injury and started mouthing off about other players I never had much use for him.Too bad he didn’t put his play (abilities) where his mouth was.

39. #39 Jack Tornton says:
    October 1, 2006 at 7:00 pm

Can someone tell me how did Guillaume Latendresse perfomed yesterday??
    I MISSED THE GAME…………..

October 1, 2006 at 8:16 pm

He only saw like 8 minutes of ice time but had a few good hits.Carbo working him in slowly now.They are not going to rush this kid.

41. Site moderator on vacation?

42. #42 **Higgin's Chick** says:
    October 4, 2006 at 12:18 pm

Hey I’m new to this site, but you guys have alot of interssting things to say.
    I think we expect alot from Latendresse and I have a feeling that if he doesn’t get those 40-50 points,since he’s on radar for the french press, he will be criticized by everybody. But other than that I’m excited about Mikey’s leaving and wish all the best to Latendresse. Can’t wait for friday!!!

GO HABS GO >