Gut Check Time

• The Habs are about to play back to back games against the Ottawa Senators. Luckily for the Canadiens they are not quite back to back, but with a day of rest in between.

The last time the Canadiens played the Senators they put forth one of their best efforts of the year and they won. Polar opposite of the 8-3 thrashing they received on Hockey Day in Canada.

With the Eastern Conference standings tightening up on a nightly basis, Divisional and Conference games are even more important.

Despite the Canadiens mediocre play, as of now they still remain in 4th place. Several teams are knocking on the door including the Senators and these next two games can be considered an 8 point series.

How and will Sergei Samsonov respond? How will fans treat him? Will Gainey and Carbonneau regret not sending him to Hamilton?

With the Canadiens 5 on 5 scoring ability ranking among worst in the league, the goaltending Cristobal Huet provided early in the year has to resurface in order for the Canadiens to remain in games.

The Canadiens have not scored the first goal of a game in the past 6 games.

David Abeischer has quietly been receiving the starting role on a more regular basis.
    What is the significance?

Is Abeischer filling in solely to give Cristobal Huet a bit of a breather? Is he playing more because he’s out played Huet recently? Or is it possible Abeischer is being showcased for a potential trade?

Maybe all of the above.

1. OK, I’ve just found a good point,this team “Habs” is a perfact fit for Murray and Downey,there U go.lol.

2. Hey Xhabsfan:

Here’s the bright side that you were waiting for. Nashville 2 and Toronto 1 still 15 minutes to go though. Go Preds Go!

3. #3 WICKSTER says:
    February 8, 2007 at 11:12 pm

I honestly beleive it is time for a restructuring of this team. They should unload the core guy’s like Koivu and Kovalev. Are any of these guy’s worth anything close to the money they make…NO!
    Gainey, Carbonneau and Gillette open your FUCKEN eye’s, your team is going to shit in a hurry.

4. Cool Rob.It’s something.

5. Just get the gas can and a match,time for a ground up rebuild and refit.

6. #6 Gui-Unit says:
    February 8, 2007 at 11:22 pm

Why the hell is Downey on the ice, wtf!!!!..I don’t see any use in that guy…they should send Garth Murray back to Hamilton and they should bring back either Kostytsin or Grabovsky…A record from (20-8-5) to (29-21-6). What happened to Saku,Higgins, and Ryder???, it’s like they gave up on the team…Carbo better do something or we’ll be struggling to even make the playoffs :(

7. Another bright side! Nashville 3 and Toronto 1.

OK, phony, half-hearted Pep talk time for all you disheartened Habs fans out there. It’s not all that bad, really. We are still sixth in the conference! We can make the playoffs!

All we have to do is keep the Leafs behind us, and we are in, right? We can do that, right?

Pick up a trade deadline, salary-dump veteran from a non-contending team. Get a trade for Sammy and a few other pieces of deadwood. Fire Carbonneau. Did I actually spell that out loud? What I meant to say was that maybe Gainey could help Carbonneau behind the bench again somehow.

We can do it! Who is with me?

8. #8 doggone R habs says:
    February 8, 2007 at 11:28 pm

Can we actually let the Bulldogs play instead of our crappy team?
    I think the bulldogs look more like an NHL team, and the habs look like a Jr B team. What a pathetic garbage team! It’s time for me to find a 2nd team to root for. I’m tired of watching the Habnots lose every game. I can’t remember turning off games in the 2nd period, as many times as I’ve done this year.
    HABS: YOU STINK! GET THE HELL OUT OF TOWN! I really hope they all get booed on Saturday night. How much are the expensive tickets at the Bell Centre? Look what the fans are getting for their hard earned $$$. It’s not fair to the fans. Why the hell is Gainey taking so long to make a trade? Is he waiting until they’re in last place? I think habs are now in 6th place and sinking fast. Forget the playoffs, unless you want hab players to be mascots for playoff teams.

9. #9 doggone R habs says:
    February 8, 2007 at 11:28 pm

Can we actually let the Bulldogs play instead of our crappy team?

10. #10 HABMAN says:
    February 8, 2007 at 11:30 pm

Things are really looking horrible now. No effort = NO RESULTS!!! When are these guys going to realize that the games ARE IMPORTANT NOW!!! The playoffs are at stake!! Obviously these guys just don’t seem to give a God Damn right now or they would at least have some urgency in their game. Very frustrating to watch hockey, I was flipping back and forth between the news as it was more interesting. This sucks BIG TIME!!!

11. TSN say’s Gainey has traded Carbo to Baffin Island for a couple pairs of Mukluc’s.

12. Coach Carbo thinks Canadian Tire Lazer Guided Pucks mite be the answer.

13. Tsn has reminded the Habs fans not to forget its throw the liver on the ice nite next game in Montreal ,in recognition that’s what every Habs fan will lose trying to forget this year.

14. FINAL 4-2 Predators beat Toronto. Wooo hooo! Now, would everyone just cheer up, for crying out loud!

I think that Carbo is in the poo. I think that most of the players probably already feel that they took enough abuse in the development of the new CBA that they are probably inwardly unsupportive of the management strong arm tactics that Carbonneau has used with Sammy. You don’t try to embarass a guy particularly when there is nothing to be gained from it. You also shouldn’t run down your own player particularly when you obviously have to trade him. It really doesn’t help his trade value.

Sammy was previously well liked on both the Bruins and the Oilers, and it is hard to watch a nice guy be abused. This is another loss that Carbonneau cannot blame on Samsonov. Whose next?

15. What do Anna Nichole Smith and the Habs have in common? They are both rich co@ksuckers that died today.

16. Xhabsfan:

Funny, but maybe just a little too negative (or accurate) there!

Hey, didn’t you see my phony, half-hearted pep talk (post #57) or the fact that the Leafs lost (post #64.) It’s a very bleak day in Montreal when the mere mention of a Leafs’ loss cannot even break a smile on a Habs fan’s face…

17. “Hard to watch a nice guy be abused (post #64).” Did I say that before somewhere? Oh yeah, flashback to my crazy Sidney Crosby rants (Montreal fans and players having offended the hockey gods and being doomed to follow in the footsteps of Philly fans; what was I thinking?)… There is no such thing as the Crosby hex, is there?

18. #18 Drive_4_25 says:
    February 9, 2007 at 12:42 am

@Rob

SHUT UP!

19. What would it take for the Habs to win the cup this year? 29 plane crashes.

20. #20 stevejur says:
    February 9, 2007 at 1:07 am

LET THE FIRE SALE BEGIN. IT’S OVER!

21. #21 habs phan says:
    February 9, 2007 at 1:16 am

going through the motions game in and game out will get the team absolutely nowhere, i can’t beleive that i watched a game that meant so much in the standings and the habs gave a half ass effort. seriously, i have no idea what is going through their head. is their a major lack of heart in the dressing room or what??? unreal that we started the season with such a promising future, and now the shit has travelled so far downstream that we are thinking about playoff spots!!! teams are starting to steamroll their competiton to get a spot in the post saeson, yet the habs (and please correct me if i’m wrong) seem to go through the motions every game. sometimes winning sometimes losing. always playing with half the heart that they should be playing with . what’s it gonna take to wake this team up. it’s no longer a bad nightmare. it’s now do or die. gotta start winning games and catching back up. cause now we are down. hope we can wake up and sort the shit out. smarten up guys, think about november and let’s start playing like it again. go habs go

22. Wall Mart and other clothing stores will pay U to take this years Montreal Canadiens selected outer wears due to a problem with a weird aroma of Methane gas. Problem will be fix for next years lines.

23. #23 stevejur says:
    February 9, 2007 at 1:57 am

COMING SOON – ON SALE FOR 50% OFF:
    Alex Kovalev
    Sergei Samsonov
    Michael Ryder
    Sheldon Souray
    Jannie Niinimma
    David Aebischer

FREE FOR A BAG OF PUCKS AND & USED JOCK STRAP
    Garth Murray
    Aron Downie
    Craig Rivet

Carbo deserves better than this.
    Bob has had 4 years to address our goalscoring woes and nothings been done.
    He’s not to blame for the most part. Players never wanted to sign with us.
    We know that the axe will come down on Carbo soon, I wish him the best for the future.
    Bring on Patty Burns.

24. #24 smiler2729 says:
    February 9, 2007 at 2:45 am

How can Samsonov be traded when not one of 29 teams even wanted him for nothing on the waiver wire? Gutcheck for Sammy, dude, nobody wants you!
    And as for the comment that he was well-liked in Edmonton? Coach Craig MacTavish said he introduced himself upon Samsonov’s trade from Boston last March and Sammy replied “I’m Sergei, I don’t kill penalties, just so we get that out there”.
    Like I said, if he’d have shown up at all for the Oilers last spring, the Stanley Cup would be Edmonton’s.
    Sergei Samsonov: Third line fodder that nobody wants…

25. #25 bossdj420 says:
    February 9, 2007 at 5:51 am

Alright, so Samsonov’s not the guy we expected. His speed and agility were supposed to bring a lot more to this very Eastern team. But his mouth and lack of play has him benched. So what now? I thought the first half of the season was amazing… what the hell happened? Can’t blame last nights loss on the flu this time boys. We picked up #15 for a reason and for a lot of $$$… CARBO needs to play him and play him hard. Even if he’s on the 4th line with Downey and Murray. Get him out there and tell him to skate his ass off. We’ve fallen in the standings to the Sens and Pens. From 4th to 6th… next are the Leafs and no one wants them taking the Habs place in the playoffs. Only player that needs to stop playing is Niinimaa! What a waste he is! Couldn’t got someone better for Ribeiro, someone who can actually score… any thoughts?

26. Rob….nope…no name dropping here

for those who missed it, here’s the latest….honestly, I’ll be surprised if the habs dont have a new player or two in the lineup for saturdays game….figures…I’m going to miss it.

Dominic” sends in the following on the free-falling Canadiens: “I was listening CKAC 730 AM at 10:46 PM when Ron Fournier said live on radio that a GM of a NHL Team call him to get information on Michael Ryder.

He said that he suggest that Bob Gainey won’t trade Ryder. When the GM ask him why … he answer that Ryder have the possibility to always finish 2nd or third goal scorer for the team each years. He said that he is a 30 goals scorer per year.

He never said which GM have called him or which team.

My thought : I think that Ryder could be on the market. Become RFA at the end of the years … Gainey unable to lock him long-term and he is probably the player that have the highest value right now on the Habs roster with Guillaume Latendresse. Ryder play awful for some time… Haven’t score in 15 or more games … If the offer is good, Gainey will do it. I suggest Ken Holland to have interest in Ryder.

Also, speculation have started … Samsonov bench after they said that he got a meeting with Carbonneau and Gainey and that everything was fine and everything was finally over.

Rivet strangely is sick for this game…

The rumors of Samsonov-Rivet for Aucoin-Smolinski is heating up.

At 11h19 PM CKAC 730 AM Montreal

Ron Fournier said that is really strange that Samsonov and Rivet did not play against the Sens. He suggested that the Habs could make a deal. Ron said when he ask what Rivet have to miss the game he said he never got an answer. Upper Body, Lower Body, Back, Arm, Flu … Just nothing.

On RDS.ca they said that Rivet have the flu.”

27. #27 smiler2729 says:
    February 9, 2007 at 10:50 am

Adrian Aucoin is always injured and the Habs want him?

28. #28 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    February 9, 2007 at 11:43 am

I do not know what to make of this mess…but I am heading up to Montreal tomorrow to sort this mess out. LOL (well anyway hopeful not to waste my hard earned money on a despicable spectacle I witnessed last night from the 2nd period on). My luck they’ll cancel the open public skate because of fears of a lynching!?!?

One thing that I hope will help is Markov coming back refreshed, so he can maybe restore himself to his Pre-new year form and lead the point. Last night Streit was the only guy that could do anything at the point and he was not that good probably because of his lack of time back there recent games. Souray is ok but is not the quick enough to elude the double team or at time single team. Teams have found a weakness and are exploiting it because of their lack of respect for our limp Offense and his shaky defensive puck handling.

Koivu is disgruntled about something and Carbo better find out what the issue is there. He should have had 2 cross-checking penalties but I think the refs felt sorry for us??? Also, I think he was looking to fight Spezza to spark the team?!?! They were also giving Komi free reign to menace everyone… at least he was able to release some frustrations dishing out a couple (Hamilton Facials and head messages). We had god knows how many penalties. Perez showed some strength only to follow it up with turn-overs and penalties. Lats, other than his spectacular Penalty shot, look horrible… Kovalev, well he was typical Kovalev, if only he would follow his shots and gobble up some rebounds… I think Ryder was off trying to find a camera, so he could blow a kiss to his lady friend. Dandy should have grabbed a forwards stick when he broke his, instead skated across the ice the fetch a new one, while leaving a 3-1 situation for of all people Souray… Nimmi the nim-rod has perfected the shot over the glass to clear the puck from his own zone. LaPierre looked ok… keep in mind he plays with tweedle D and tweedle dumb. Huet, first goal he probably would have given his right arm to have it back, but it seems to be becoming a habit lately with both the goalies lately with early goals. But we can’t win when you’re not scoring! Bonk and Johnson playing on the shutdown line couldn’t muster carrying the team. Higgins tried for the 1st period…

Carbo I beg you to sit down with everyone… get their opinions on how to fix this mess! At least do it with the leaders. See if they are still on board with your program? Look at the tapes go back to the basics with your staff and players to break these bad habits your team has formed. If people our shutting down Souray on PP, design plays to take advantage of this cheating towards him. Sure it is easy for me to say, but if you do not get through to these guys, you’ll soon be in the same place I am; arm-chair quarterbacking from this site the day after.

Go Habs Go

29. #29 The Muppet says:
    February 9, 2007 at 12:29 pm

Habs fans. (insert head shake here).
    Always so quick to abandon your team. I mean, how insecure can one fan base be?