Habs / Bruins: Game 5

• The Bruins have played as good as they possibly can and still find themselves down 3-1 in the series.

On the verge of elimination.

The Habs have not yet played their best and are just one game away from advancing to the second round.

91% of teams leading 3-1 end up winning the series.

The Habs and Bruins being involved in one of those few upsets. The 7th seed Canadiens came back from a 3-1 Bruins series lead to advance to the second round in 2004.

Some more offensive production from the regular season’s highest scoring team would be a welcome sign. As well as a more efficient powerplay.

With Carey Price leading the NHL Playoffs in Save Percentage and G.A.A, some more offense from the Canadiens should be enough to get it done in 5.

Mark Streit will rest an injured hip and Michael Ryder returns to the lineup.

1. #1 Ice Man says:
    April 17, 2008 at 2:41 pm

If there ever is a reason for our stars to shine it is tonight.

We can drive the final nail in the Coffin of Bruins season and put them out of their missery.

We can then work on the elements of the Game that we are lacking before we play the 2nd round of the Playoffs.

Lets GO GUYS ………..

2. #2 Ice Man says:
    April 17, 2008 at 3:12 pm

I can feel it comming in the air tonight, oh Lord.

I been waiting for this momment for all my………..

3. #3 habs4life says:
    April 17, 2008 at 3:12 pm

Canadiens recall six from AHL Bulldogs…

The first impact of Bob Gainey’s recall action will be forcing the existing lineup players to fight for their positions (good, stay; not good, out). That’s going to be a war in Game 5! Poor Bruins.

4. #4 Ice Man says:
    April 17, 2008 at 3:18 pm

Those poor bloody Bruins…….

5. #5 Ice Man says:
    April 17, 2008 at 3:39 pm

You know, I have been Sacrificing as well for the playoffs.

1. I have given up sex.
    2. I have not shaved. (they always ask at work “Who’s the new guy”)
    3. I have not showered. (they always ask at work “Who’s the new stinky guy”)

My wife won’t go near me, well maybe that’s a good thing cuase I’m not having any nookie.

It’s very Tuff being a Die Hard Habs Fan………..

6. #6 habs4life says:
    April 17, 2008 at 3:51 pm

1. I have given up sex.
    [becuase you love Ryder]

2. I have not shaved. (they always ask at work “Who’s the new guy”)
    [because you shaved on the head, not on the face, like Habs players]

3. I have not showered. (they always ask at work “Who’s the new stinky guy”)
    [because want to keep the winning scent]

7. #7 dylan habbinator says:
    April 17, 2008 at 4:23 pm

number 1!!! we are cup destined

April 17, 2008 at 5:31 pm

Lets start by getting to round 2 ! that being said I have a good feeling for tonight , let’s hope it holds true.

9. #9 Senet 1 says:
    April 17, 2008 at 7:34 pm

The boys seem to be skating tonight, hope they keep that up because I do not think the bruins can stay with then if they skate like that.

Koivu skating second day if he keeps improving should be back sometime next week.

10. #10 James says:
    April 17, 2008 at 7:49 pm

Carey Price! What a save! That was magic…

11. #11 habs4life says:
    April 17, 2008 at 7:54 pm

Just with a blind sweep, Carey saved the shot, NOTHING TO SAY!
    THE HABS CAN JUST PUT THE FATE ON PRICE!!!

12. #12 Ice Man says:
    April 17, 2008 at 8:00 pm

Right on habs4life

13. #13 Senet 1 says:
    April 17, 2008 at 8:44 pm

We quite skating that period and gradually the bruins started to get more offense. Hopefully we could out stronger in the third and get one of the PP.

14. #14 Joseph says:
    April 17, 2008 at 8:55 pm

#1 offense? #1 powerplay?

Where the hell is it? Is it possible that the Habs have become Vancouver? Is Price aware that they expect him to win games 1-0 or 2-1 from here on out?

15. #15 rhabs4real says:
    April 17, 2008 at 9:11 pm

It’s going to game 7, and I’m not sure if the habs will win the series?
    THEY DON’T HAVE THE KILLER INSTINCT! and totally flat tonight. Unbelievable how they saved their worst effort for the most important game.

16. #16 Joseph says:
    April 17, 2008 at 9:12 pm

Well, I never thought I’d say this, but a 2-goal deficit is way too much for this Montreal team to overcome. They just bought themselves a ticket back to Boston.

Quick, someone order some North American heart, determination and grit for this team. STAT!

17. #17 gamisou carbonnau says:
    April 17, 2008 at 9:18 pm

im a habs fan but carbonneau doesnt no how to coach the habs and all there succes was before brisebois came
    CARBONNEAU SUCKS
    BRISEBOIS SUCKS
    HABS RULE

18. #18 groundworking says:
    April 17, 2008 at 9:20 pm

Brutal. Embarrassing.

19. #19 rhabs4real says:
    April 17, 2008 at 9:29 pm

KOIVU must play on Saturday. He’s their only player with heart.

20. #20 rhabs4real says:
    April 17, 2008 at 9:32 pm

If habs lose this series, it will be a very very long summer!

21. #21 Senet 1 says:
    April 17, 2008 at 9:33 pm

I think the boys better grow their hair back real fast, looks like it zapped all their strength.

22. #22 James says:
    April 17, 2008 at 9:36 pm

What the hell was that 3rd period all about?

23. #23 groundworking says:
    April 17, 2008 at 9:38 pm

That was the worst playoff effort I’ve seen from the Montreal Canadiens. Foot on the throat, at home, and they come out like that. Something’s going on in the locker room that we’re not aware of. Boston has punched above their weight, and Montreal below its weight, since Game 2. This isn’t good. Let’s hope someone other than just Lapierre shows up to play playoff hockey in Boston.

24. #24 Senet 1 says:
    April 17, 2008 at 9:39 pm

Well that I expected it but I think after the first period this yound team came out like they already had the game won. They quite skating and checking and a coupld of bad penalties and we are in trouble. Price mad one very rookie like mistake and the next thing we know the game is out of reach. Oh one other thing the most important game is the last one.

25. #25 JohnS says:
    April 17, 2008 at 9:40 pm

Tonight we didnt have any skating,hitting,passing,shooting,goaltending.

Did I miss anything?

Good old fashioned a@@ kicking.

26. Well Carbo,its time to make some changes for Boston! Ryder ,Dandy and Smoke should sit with Stewart,Chipcura and D’agostini,Trotter inserted to put the legs back into this team.I’s time to sturr the pot!!!!

27. #27 Mellem28 says:
    April 17, 2008 at 9:49 pm

OMG!!!!!!!!!!
    What was that third periode all abou, actually throught out the whole game Montreal’s efforts weren’t very good.
    I must say there were a lot of really bad penalties for Montreal and a lot of power plays that Montreal didn’t use to their advantage.
    Carey still a good goalie, the 1st goal was acceptable, the 2nd goal was hit off a CANADIENS STICK and the third goal was one really bad mistake from Carey Price
    After the third goal Montreal lost it’s willpower to fight. If your gonna lose, lose with dignity.
    I’m sure this was just one of thoses bad games Montreal has every now and then, they’ll come back don’t worry and take the series.
    Hopefully Koivu comes back soon, we need some spirit back in the team.

28. #28 James says:
    April 17, 2008 at 9:50 pm

Trying to dig some positives out here, all I can say is that perhaps the game 3 wasn’t the kick in the ass that it should have been.

Hopefully this game will have been. We need to put this one behind us, and try to finish it off in Boston. I’m worried about the next game *but* I have to hope that this is the game that gets us playing again.

29. #29 Senet 1 says:
    April 17, 2008 at 9:50 pm

No reason to panic, we just have to go back to Boston and play a better game.

30. #30 Joseph says:
    April 17, 2008 at 9:51 pm

So, the Penguins will get Boston and the Rangers will get… just kidding. :-)

Seriously though, I never thought I’d see the day when Price got rattled. I just did. And the worst part? He did it to himself when he turned the puck over to Boston to give them an easy lead. How will he respond to this… ?

Price’s rookie mistake aside, this team has not shown what it takes to be a champion. The lowly Bruins (and they are lowly – don’t BS yourself) just handed them their asses in their own building.

31. #31 B'sFAN! says:
    April 17, 2008 at 9:52 pm

THE PRICE IS WRONG BITCH!

Your team has NO HEART! None what so ever.

They will not even close out a series for you at home! Comon man! get over yourselves and your stinkin team!

Stop making excuses for your sorry a@@ team! THE HABS HAVE NO HEART! AT ALL!

Once your beloved HABS get punched in the mouth they can’t strike back! Regardless, for a team on paper should be killing this POOR A@@ BRUINS TEAM. Except your HABS! are getting out worked and out played in the last 5 games! NO HEART! Your team is not built for a 7 game series!

GO BRUINS! Thank to Boston Bruins for proving that you can’t win championships without HEART! You have HEART! and BIG BALLS! Obviously the HABS don’t and their FANS DON’T EITHER!

Leaving the game with 5 minutes left! WOW. No wonder your team lays down when someone punches them in the face with HEART and HARD WORK!

5-1 LOVE IT!! Better think twice before crowning PRICE as then next ROY! Showed tonight that he is just another guy! ROY and DRYDEN would have closed out the series!

32. #32 Joseph says:
    April 17, 2008 at 9:54 pm

One thing is for sure…

If they put in the kind of effort that they did tonight in future games, then history will be made – they’ll lose this series. Since Montreal has never lost a series in which it lead 3-1, and Boston has never won a series in which it trailed 2-0, that would be historical.

33. #33 Ice Man says:
    April 17, 2008 at 9:55 pm

What a nightmare.

I am speechless…………..

34. #34 rhabs4real says:
    April 17, 2008 at 10:03 pm

I don’t like the makeup of this team. too many euros, too many Marian Hossa’s!
    no hear or grit! I think this team is over confident, and unable to elevate their game to a playoff style. Koivu has to play in game 7. And mark my words: THERE WILL BE A GAME 7! remember 2004? Boston could do to us, what we did to them. Tonight I’m embarrassed to be a habs fan.

35. #35 Joseph says:
    April 17, 2008 at 10:09 pm

The Habs will still win this series, for the mere reason that Boston isn’t good enough to capitalize on any kind of momentum, but it’s the near future that concerns me. Try and imagine tonight’s effort versus the Flyers, or the Penguins (if they got that far).

They’d better change something soon… unless of course this year is just being treated as some playoff experience for the young europeans for next year when they acquire some determination to go along with the skill. Right.

36. #36 Joseph says:
    April 17, 2008 at 10:14 pm

Give this team an Iginla, or a Phaneuf, or a Smythe, or a LeCavalier. Please. No? Then how about a Roberts, or a Malone, or a Laraque, or any other of a variety of Canadian or even North American ingredients REQUIRED to win in this league at this time of year.

37. Joseph,

How can you be so sure that your HABS will win this series. Hey that is the same attitide that your HABS are taking, that the Bruins can’t capitalize..You have to be kidding me. AGAIN I WILL SAY IT TIME AND TIME AGAIN! Your TEAM HAS NO HEART AND BALLS! They don’t like to get hit.

This is so sweet…

GO BRUINS!

38. #38 rhabs4real says:
    April 17, 2008 at 10:23 pm

habs are just a bunch of lazy euros! until we get north american players, forget it. And I can prove my point. In this series, which line has been the best? our 4th line! Smolinski-cdn, Begin-cdn, Kostopoulos-cdn. get it?

39. Dude,we have got the DOGS just iching to step in and make a career for themselves.Look-it,the way the HaBS HAVE PLAYED THE LAST FOUR GAMES ,they should allready be golfing and nobody is steping up,NO ONE.kOVY CAN’T DO IT ALL AND Price is a Goalie not a foward,TIME FOR NEW BLOOD,BULLDOG STYLE ,Gurrrrrrrr.

40. #40 rhabs4real says:
    April 17, 2008 at 10:25 pm

the truth is, Price lost us the game. way too cocky! maybe he’s just too young, to be playing in the playoffs. Since the 1st game, habs haven’t played well, and I can’t believe they won 3 games because they certainly don’t deserve to win this series!

41. #41 Chris Redman says:
    April 17, 2008 at 10:39 pm

@ rhabs4real

Your racism is a little misplaced, not to mention that Saku Koivu, whom you praise above, is also European. You sound like Don Cherry.

Terrible loss, that’s for sure. Everyone looked ugly tonight, Price included. Let’s hope this will spur the boys onto a big win in Boston on Saturday.

42. #42 Tony from NB says:
    April 17, 2008 at 10:41 pm

Ok…I’ll admit I’m wrong (and maybe not that intelligent)…Habs in 6???

Going to 6 Games againts the potential Stanley Cup Champions??? Are you kidding me.

With a beer league, good for nothing, done nothing goalie named Thomas?

Phil Collins say it ain’t so:

“Well I remember, I remember dont worry
    How could I ever forget, its the first time, the last time we ever met
    But I know the reason why you keep your silence up, no you dont fool me
    The hurt doesnt show; but the pain still grows
    Its no stranger to you or me”

I’ll say it again (and so have most of you) without guts there ain’t no glory. Speed and Skill will always kill, but grit wins the Cup.

So, tell me Habs fans…can your team win the next round(s) versus the Rangers, Flyers and/or Pens???

Tony from NB

43. #43 Senet 1 says:
    April 17, 2008 at 10:42 pm

Well hopefully Streit is okay to play next game, we missed him bring the puck up tonight. I thought the way they came out in the first period Boston would be going home for the season. Then after we got the goal lead, we started to play differently. we stopped skating, and checking, and it allowed boston to play their game. I also got the feeling that the refs made some stupid calls in this game. The high stick on Kovalev seemed stupid, he was checked into the boards and his stick was in the area but it didn’t look like it hit anyone. I would not worry about Price we he made one mistake and then got a couple of bad luck bounces. I predict it is over in six, we win in Boston. We have not lost two straight games in along time. And I disagree we played a good solid road game in game four,Boston hardly had a scoring change the entire third period until right at the end. You guys would have gone bonkers if you watched the habs of 1971. we got outshot by 20 shots a game and we won the series. Some hockey experts said it was the best defensive team that they ever saw. We were obviously out gunned by the Bruins but we scored when we got the chance. So have faith guys.

44. #44 Joseph says:
    April 17, 2008 at 10:53 pm

rhabs4real, Smolinski is from Toledo, Ohio. Just FYI.

But I agree with the basic point that you’re trying to make. European skill is great, just as long as it’s complementing a healthy dose of North American grit. If that skill is allowed to dominate the personality of a team, however, well, look no further than Ottawa’s previous records in the playoffs, before they added the ingredients to go to the Finals last year, when they were dominated by the bigger, stronger and more determined Ducks in the Finals anyway. Oh, and Anaheim’s roster last season? 18 Canadians on it.

45. LOL ,Ice Man speachless,lmao,buds thats a first…..

46. #46 Joseph says:
    April 17, 2008 at 10:59 pm

You’re right, Senet 1. We should just sit back and enjoy this round of the playoffs, without looking ahead to the Habs’ imminent doom in the next round. ;-)

47. #47 rhabs4real says:
    April 17, 2008 at 11:03 pm

To Chris Redman:
    19 rhabs4real
    Posted on April 17th, 2008 at 9:29 pm. About ‘Habs / Bruins: Game 5′.

KOIVU must play on Saturday. He’s their only player with heart
    learn how to read dude! read ALL my posts!

48. B’FAN AND jRES,DON’T YOU TWO goofy pussnutt Mother fu@kers have a gay dance to go too?Which one of you pretty boy’s is Cop and which macho macho man is the indian?lol…..Y.M.C.A.MOFO’S!!!!bEANTOWN CHOWDER WANNABE’S,LOL

49. #49 Joseph says:
    April 17, 2008 at 11:14 pm

37 Jres
    Posted on April 17th, 2008 at 10:17 pm. About ‘Habs / Bruins: Game 5′.

“Joseph,

“How can you be so sure that your HABS will win this series.”

Because I’ve watched your team play, and they’re not very good. Sorry to burst your temporary bubble, dude, but the Habs will soon enough anyway, so… you’re welcome?

“AGAIN I WILL SAY IT TIME AND TIME AGAIN! Your TEAM HAS NO HEART AND BALLS! They don’t like to get hit.”

You, myself, and everyone else in here. Anything insightful to contribute?

“This series to me is over you have witnessed tonight the meltdown of your future! Carey Price is nothing but a goalie that was riding a hot streak! His takes away the bottom well but the top corners are there for the taking! It’s over your TEAM THE HABS are done. Bring on SAKU! Maybe a French Canadian might play game six, yeah one that almost was paralyzed! You got it PATRICE BERGERON!”

You lost any possibility of credibility here. What an unsubstantiated bunch of nonsense.

“This is so sweet…”

What is, ignorance?

50. #50 Joseph says:
    April 17, 2008 at 11:21 pm

B’sFAN:

Why do idiots like you always come out following a win by your mediocre team? If you can’t resist seeking out a blog site for the opposing team’s fans, then at least try adding something intelligent to the discussion. I mean, seriously. What’s that line from H2G2 again? “If human beings stop talking (or in this case, typing), their brains start working.” Yep, that’s the one.

Sadly, the world is full of people like yourself, which is why the human condition is such an unfortunate one. Are you near a tall building by chance?