Habs / Bruins: Game 6

• Game 6…

Not many anticipated the series would go this far. The Canadiens themselves seemed to believe that. Now the Bruins who have outworked and outplayed the Habs have a chance to even up the series on home ice.

The Habs still hold the 3-2 lead and the chance to end it tonight. Hopefully ‘the message’ was received by now and the Habs come out ready to win.

Saku Koivu may or may not dress. You have to believe he will, if nothing else just to shake things up. Provide some veteran leadership and maybe stir up the stagnant powerplay.

If the Habs close it out tonight, this can all be looked back on as valuable learning experience to carry on to the next round. If they don’t, all bets are off for a game 7 against a confident and hungry Bruins team.

1. #1 Senet 1 says:
    April 19, 2008 at 10:23 pm

I would keep Kostistyns and Plekanec, they have played reasonable well, and lets not forget it is there first playoff. Plekanec is only as good as his wingers and Kovalev has not performed. He score an nice goal tonight and is an excellent second line centre. Koivu played better than I expect him to play considering that he has not played for three weeks. He was guilt on two of the goals but it was more conditioning than poor play.
    Andre played well be he is always looking for Kovalev who never seems to be interested in the play. Yound Sergi made some excellent plays tonight a great pass to Higgins. Actually they were our best line out there tonight. Hopefully they will be even better next game. Koivu hopefully will be a little stronger too.

2. #2 rhabs4real says:
    April 19, 2008 at 10:23 pm

we do need to get some good old canadian boys, because they know what the stanley cup is all about. euros just say Stanley who???
    I mean when you’re up 3 games to 1, c’mon, you can’t win 1 damn game??
    Could someone please tell me where our defence is??
    We have given up 4 goals in the 3rd period in game 5 and game 6. You can’t do that and expect to win! With 8 minutes remaining we had the lead. Why couldn’t they play good D for the remainder of the game?
    And I hope Gainey does not resign Streit, because he is HORRIBLE!
    Markov has also been horrible! where is their game and their heads?
    I just don’t understand this team, playing like they really want to lose.
    I guess with the nice weather, they would rather play golf. Well, their wish is coming true!

3. I can’t believe these guys! I just shook my head for the entire game. Montreal stands there and watches boston walk right in and take shots, have no defence, cant clear the puck, powerplay sucks, can’t pass, and everyone always has their back to the play! No confidence!!!

How did these guys make number one in the eastern? They play like they don’t even belong in the playoffs!

I have loved Montreal for years and years, but seriously what is up? I have never seen them do this poorly as they have the last few games. They obviously don’t want to win the series or advance and if they do they are going to get swept in round two! Like seriously wake the hell up!

I hate to say it but boston is going to win monday unless montreal seriously turns it around. The entire arena should boo montreal coming on the ice monday night, what a sloppy lazy ineffective team! And Kovalev should be scratched. I feel bad for Price his team let him down and hung him out to dry.

Go habs go, but get it together!

4. I miss Game 1. The Canadiens were so dominant and fast. Then as the series went on it seemed the Bruins found a way to curb the dominant Canadiens. I couldn’t see the game tonight because I was at the Generals vs. Bulls game, so I can’t comment on the play. But I can at least say that coming home thinking the Canadiens were in the lead (2-1), and then turn on the TV to see a smiling Lucic, I was furious! 5-4!!!!?!!! The Habs better win on Monday. If they don’t, it’s like they lost on purpose.

5. #5 Joseph says:
    April 19, 2008 at 10:25 pm

37 Jres
    Posted on April 17th, 2008 at 10:17 pm. About ‘Habs / Bruins: Game 5′.

“This series to me is over you have witnessed tonight the meltdown of your future! Carey Price is nothing but a goalie that was riding a hot streak! His takes away the bottom well but the top corners are there for the taking! It’s over your TEAM THE HABS are done. Bring on SAKU! Maybe a French Canadian might play game six, yeah one that almost was paralyzed! You got it PATRICE BERGERON!”

47 jres
    Posted on April 19th, 2008 at 10:13 pm. About ‘Habs / Bruins: Game 6′.

“Habs defense should buy that kid a car! Price is the real deal!”

Which is it?

6. Im not a troll by any means. I respect the HABS Fans intensity so much, and I wish we had that. Our love of the Pats, Red Sox and Celts are like your love of the Habs, but we dont have it regionwide with the Bruins.

Seriously, the Habs got every single bounce, and the Bruins gritted it out, I’m not saying that to exonerate the Bruins at all. You guys got very very very lucky goals.

7. #7 Senet 1 says:
    April 19, 2008 at 10:29 pm

Well I disagree about Streit, he should not even be playing, he has the same injury that Komy had and Komy was out three weeks. He was rushed back into the lineup and if you remember the played forward one game just to protect that hip.

Markov has not played well, and Komy is still not playing to his potential. The only defenceman that is playing above par is Hamrlik. Even Brisebois is playing better than most of our defence.

8. #8 JasonO. says:
    April 19, 2008 at 10:33 pm

Will Bob Gainey be thinking about that Huet trade tonight when he closes his eyes?

9. Thinking about how good it was?

Seriously, if anyone thinks Price is the issue here…

10. #10 Mellem says:
    April 19, 2008 at 10:37 pm

PLease don’t blame Price on thoses five goals, they really weren’t his fault, as someone had previeosly said most of the goals were deflections or something, Price did what he could. With Koivu, Striet and Boullion back our offensive game has also greatly improve. If you must put the blame on someone let it be the defense, they need to sharpen up or something. THe let Bosten have to much space, tighter defense. Montreal has to get it’s game back, I’m sure Game 7 will be much better. Montreal has to humble down and play with heart. By the way, I’m positive that with some players coming back from injuries MOntreal will win Game 7. JUst cross your fingers

11. #11 Joseph says:
    April 19, 2008 at 10:37 pm

Bruinsfan, is this how you saw the whole series? With the Habs getting very, very, very lucky goals? Because that’s ludicrous. They earned some nice goals, they got some lucky bounces. Just as the Bruins earned some nice goals and got some lucky bounces, one of which came on goal number two tonight.

Anyway, your claim that this series should have been over a while ago (in Boston’s favour) is unjusitifed. The Bruins were downright intimidated by the Habs in Game 1 and lost confidence after the OT goal in Game 2. They gained that confidence back with a win in Game 3–somehting that they were unable to do for 13 straight games–and built upon it. They gave their best and still lost Game 4. Montreal became arrogant and lost Games 5 and 6 because the Bruins took all the momentum away and the Habs appeared as if they thought that they could just coast to victory.

As to my passion for the Habs, I enjoy watching them but they certainly don’t make or break my day. After all, all of these guys are grossly overpaid entertainers, and nothing more. It’s just a game.

12. Well Joseph,

I was trying to be nice Joseph…LOL..Hey man i was just busting balls! Listen to be honest Carey Price is a good goalie and the potential to be great! But he is just a baby, 20 years old!

But 10 goals in two games ouch! I will say this, if it wasn’t for him and the goal posts this game would have been over in the second period.

Comments I made on Thursday were just to get you HABS fans all fired up and it worked!

Price is your future and he will win you a stanley cup someday for sure(MAYBE), just not this year! That is showing respect! He is not Patrick Roy or Ken Dryden, the reason why is because he can’t be with that defense. Roy and Dryden had good solid systems in front of them, Carbo has no idea what he is doing!

Julien is taking him to school!

Guys get some sleep the world is not crashing down.

13. #13 Senet 1 says:
    April 19, 2008 at 10:41 pm

BruinsFan, Thanks for your respect, however, I do not think you were watchin the same game, Let see Boston got luck on the first goal because it game through the defensemans legs and your player was able to tip it and it happen to go between the goalies legs. The third goal was also a deflection that bounced over Prices pad and the fourth was a tip in that deflected over Prices shoulder. The Fifth Boston just happen to be lucky enough to have the puck go off Price and through about four guys and get picked up with Price out of position. Now I am not saying the the goals were not earned they were, but lets look at Montreals goals not. Koivu won the faceoff and Higgins made a triffic play to go around your defense and score. Plenkance goal was a great pass up the middle and he scored on a breakaway. Higgins (4th)received a great pass from Sergi across the ice and scored into the open side and Bouillon had the presemce pf mind to throw the puck at the net it when in off the Boston player but Koivu was right there to defect it as well.

So to me all the goals were earned regardless of who scored them. Both teams capitalized on defensive errors. So cannot agree that are goals were luck and yours were not.

14. Joseph -

I admit that the series should not have been over a while ago, I said that in my post-game jubilation. I can say with confidence though, that I think the Bruins have outplayed the Canadiens, with the Canadiens getting the better bounces, having a downright ridiculous edge from the referees (Montreal far in the playoffs guarantees more money), and the Bruins having very very shaky goaltending from Thomas.

Price is what has stopped this series from being over. I think what I can say now is that these teams, although with entirely different styles, they much up incredibly well in a playoff atmosphere.

I look forward to Game 7.

Have to admit, gotta give the nod for HEART in favor of the B’s.

15. Now that Montreal finally has something to lose, if they can come out with the same fire as Boston has had, it should be an easy Montreal win in Game 7.

16. #16 Joseph says:
    April 19, 2008 at 10:47 pm

Here’s my opinion:

The Bruins deserve credit for taking the physical play to the Habs and being determined enough to scratch their way back in to this series (which they actually did with that OT victory in Game 3). On the other hand, the Habs have done their best to help the Bruins achive their goal by making soft plays on the puck and trying to protect one-goal leads for half a hockey game. If they stayed aggressive and gave back what the Bruins dished out, then this series really would be over. As we all know, they didn’t, and I think it’s because they are not built for the playoffs at all. But I’ve been saying this all along. In fact, when many Habs fans were begging for the Bruins in the first round, I stated my concern, suggesting that the playoffs were different than the regular season, and further that the history between these two franchises alone was enough to be aware of.

17. #17 Senet 1 says:
    April 19, 2008 at 10:49 pm

BruinsFan, the last time I check the goalie was part of the team, if you have poor goaltending you usually loose. Having said that your Bruins team has shown their heart because they had their backs to the wall and had to play or go home, Montreal has not been in the position until Monday night. So although your team has shown they have heart, as a long time Habs fan I still have to have faith that my team will show that they have heart too when the chips are down.

18. I think the habs ran out of gas. The team has evaporated from the more agressive Boston. Montreal defense is to slow to get out of their zone and the forwards are getting caught on the slow lane and are not anticipating. Montreal defenses during the season is much better when they move the puck out of their zone quickly. Montreal defence is not that great to begin with in their zone, they need to make those quick passes that get the puck out quickly that we have seen so many times during the season.

Montreal passing is not so good. Likely due to Boston forechecking. It looks like montreal are getting out coached and definitely not reacting.

I would think the fear of elimination in game seven will reveal if montreal have enough gas to pull out of this one.

19. #19 Senet 1 says:
    April 19, 2008 at 10:52 pm

Joseph, you are right but then again I also said that other than Ottawa there was not a easy team in the playoff in our conference. After all there were ony 10 pts separating top to bottom and all that is, is a couple of wins or losses.

20. #20 Joseph says:
    April 19, 2008 at 10:54 pm

Bruinsfan, I don’t think you’ll find a Habs fan in here that would disagree with you. We all agree that the Habs lack the physical play, the heart and the determination that is required to win at this time of year. Following Game 2, I stated that I didn’t see a potential Stanley Cup champion in this team. They require some Canadian/North American grit and determination to go along with that European skill.

21. #21 Senet 1 says:
    April 19, 2008 at 10:54 pm

Well we will see all you guys Monday night, here hoping it will be a RED day.

22. #22 Steve in FL says:
    April 19, 2008 at 10:58 pm

The Habs played very well….The Bruins played better.

23. #23 Joseph says:
    April 19, 2008 at 11:00 pm

Yet we’ve got people like jres coming in here thinking that he’s telling us something that we don’t know. Does he think we’re blind?

The way I see it, Senet 1, is that the Habs wanted to do everything that they could tonight to avoid a Game 7, and they failed to get the job done. I honestly think that the Habs backs were against the wall tonight. Of course they could come out in Game 7 and win the series, but in order to accomlish that they’ll have to steal the momentum away from Boston frmo the start and bury them with a substantial lead. The Bruins feel that this series is theirs to win or lose now, and why shouldn’t they? They’ve imposed their will on the Habs the past two games.

24. #24 Steve in FL says:
    April 19, 2008 at 11:06 pm

25. #25 Joseph says:
    April 19, 2008 at 11:10 pm

“Could Kovalev’s poor performance in the last few games of this series has been a key issue in their loss?”

Absolutely. His soft play along the boards tonight lead directly to the go-ahead goal. Further, he’s been anything but an offensive force. The two goals he has in this series are the result of pure talent. His determination seems to have gone out the window.

26. #26 Steve in FL says:
    April 19, 2008 at 11:14 pm

Maybe Carbo should consider keeping him on the bench for the first period on Monday….

27. #27 Joseph says:
    April 19, 2008 at 11:16 pm

In my opinion, Carbonneau had better do something to motivate him. He’s a gaem breaking player but he’s not playing like one. And for those that say that Chara is shutting him down, that’s silly. He’s owned Chara all season long. Also, Chara is evidently playing hurt. Besides, game breaking players find a way to come through.

28. #28 Joseph says:
    April 19, 2008 at 11:17 pm

This team, in general, needs a swift kick in the ass.

29. #29 Steve in FL says:
    April 19, 2008 at 11:19 pm

That would explain why Chara has been playing so dirty. He can’t scale so cheat and hope you don’t get caught.

30. #30 rhabs4real says:
    April 19, 2008 at 11:22 pm

habs have failed to elevate their game from the regular season to the playoffs. I think the kids on the team don’t understand the difference between regular season and playoffs. Maybe they’re just too young, not sure. one thing I’m sure of, is that we need more gritty players(NORTH AMERICAN PLAYERS) to win in the playoffs. I certainly wouldn’t mind it if Kovalev, Markov, and both the Kostistyns were traded, for canadians, even if they had less talent.
    this team is simply not made for the playoffs. I realized that during the regular season. fancy plays and wide open hockey doesn’t work in the playoffs. Alsi, I agree that Carbo is a lousy coach, because he has no idea what to do, and puts in Brisebois because of his friendship. That’s not how you win games. and for those who say that Carbo is a good coach because we finished 1st, Pitt could have finished 1st, but decided it was more important to tank the final game of the season, because as a result, they got an easier opponent. If Carbo was intelligent, he would have done the same. I think he is, without doubt, the dumbest coach in the NHL!
    Not that I want the habs do do lousy next year, but if it’s the only way Carbo gets fired, I’m for it! anythingg to get rid of that jerk!
    He has no concept of how to win in the playoffs, and HE CAN’T MOTIVATE HIS PLAYERS, HE NEVER TAKES TIMEOUTS, HE PLAYS MUSICAL CHAIRS WITH HIS LINEUP EVERY GAME, HE NEVER LEARNS FROM HIS MISTAKES, AND HE’S VERY ARROGANT WITH NO HUMILITY!

31. #31 rhabs4real says:
    April 19, 2008 at 11:27 pm

maybe alot of you don’t agree with my comments, but who cares. This team won’t win a series or cup until all the euros are replaced by north american players, who have dreamt about winning the stanley cup, since about the age of 5. Can you name me the last team with all euros to win a cup? NEVER HAPPENED!
    Gainey better not draft a euro, no matter how talented they are.

32. #32 rhabs4real says:
    April 19, 2008 at 11:31 pm

sorry for all the rants, but I need to vent. I’m very upset. I expected the habs to play with heart and passion, and can’t accept poor efforts with so much on the line. It’s just totally unacceptable! the fans in Montreal will have Carbo’s head. You can be sure of that. Mark my words: If habs don’t win Monday, and the same players return, it will most assuredly be a lousy season, and Carbo will be gone by Xmas!

33. #33 groundworking says:
    April 19, 2008 at 11:59 pm

My Take:

The young Russians look up to Kovalev. Markov does too. Markov is a veteran, but he speaks the same language and he’s more reserved than Kovalev.

In Game 2, Kovalev takes a selfish penalty. Then, to make up for it, he refuses to change with his line in OT, despite calls from the bench. He scores! We all love him. But consider the damage here. He has defied an order from the coach, and he’s wearing the C. Carbo curses him on the bench, everyone hears it, and someone tells Kovalev about it in between the time he scored and the post-game interview where he mentions it.

So what happens to team chemistry when a bunch of 20 year olds who can’t speak English or French watch their Russian-speaking idol and team captain defy the coach and play for himself? And why do we get the old Kovalev when we need the need Kovalev the most? He almost took another selfish retaliatory penalty tonight. He’s clearly not in these past few games for the team. Let’s see if he responds.

I’m frankly not optimistic. Markov had 5 give-aways before the 10 minute mark of the first period. So there’s another star player who’s gone home mentally for the summer.

34. #34 hockeyfanatic says:

Game 5 winner = Bos
    Game 6 winner = Bos
    Game 7 winner = Karma?

Boston Coach = Julien

35. #35 LeBeau says:
    April 20, 2008 at 12:09 am

Pathetic. I can’t believe you bandwagon fans are jumping off already before the series is over. Boston convinced me in the first 2 minutes of the game that they wanted the win more. But man, what a great game to watch!

Any Bruins fans reading this, I give props to your team. You deserved tonight’s win. I cannot wait for Monday. I expect the Habs to come out with the same kind of grit that Boston came out with tonight. If they don’t, we’re in trouble.

I still believe. GO HABS GO!

36. Joseph -

Agreed! The B’s are almost entirely Canadian-American. OUR gut is guiding the B’s, the European frame of mind is less capable of dealing with the pressure.

37. #37 Sevenmack says:
    April 20, 2008 at 12:13 am

Please with all that “we need North American players crap.” The Rangers won in 1994 with a significant number of Europeans (Sergei Nemchinov, Sergei Zubov and the infamous Kovalev, among them) as did the Colorado Avalanche (remember Peter Forsberg?) and the Ducks (Teemu Selanne). The Sens nearly made it with Daniel Alfredsson and other Europeans in tow. And don’t forget the Edmonton dynasty of the 1980s with Kurri and Tikkanen, among others, on the team.

The issue isn’t European versus North American. It’s heart, grit and determination. And Les Habitants don’t have much of it these days. Boston, with Zdeno Chara and other Europeans on the team, do.

38. #38 groundworking says:
    April 20, 2008 at 12:14 am

Is it not the case that what separates Habs fans from Leafs fans is that we don’t accept losing?

On the plus side, Lapierre has played incredibly well. Higgins had his best game, probably all year. And Koivu has as much heart as ever. And Carey Price is probably the most valuable prospect for any NHL team. A first rate, world-class goalie is not something that comes along every couple of years.

On the downside, the team’s success has depended all year on players who are either hurt or on vacation.

39. Yeah, you guys have the goalie of the future in Price for sure! Good find!

I think we can all say this is a fantastic addition to an already wonderful rivalry! If the B’s lose you can guarantee I’ll be Habs the whole way for the rest of the playoffs.

40. Dito,but I think the Habs now more than ever have to sturr up the pot and play more physical,especily when we’re playing so many players slowed down by injurys.

41. Need to reinstate Latendress and Stewart.

42. And O’bryne

43. #43 rhabs4real says:
    April 20, 2008 at 12:38 am

Latendresse has done NOTHING in the playoffs. He’s the last guy I want in there. O’Byrne and Stewart only, and Streit and Dandeneault out.
    You know, if we’re not going to win the 1st round, there’s no point in making the playoffs. Might as well finish 10th, and get a good pick.

44. #44 BruinsForDinner says:
    April 20, 2008 at 12:43 am

Bruins for Dinner Monday night – no question. Watch these guys weep as they go down Big Time to the Habs. Kovalev will show you what it is all about. NO WAY we could lose 3 times in a row to the Bruins…..ever. Ah, yes. Bring on the Flyers. Price for President. Gainey will prevail.

45. #45 Joseph says:
    April 20, 2008 at 12:48 am

Good points, all.

groundworking, I agree with your take on the Kovalev situation, and how his ‘antics’ leave a negative impression on the younger players… whether they realize it or not. As I stated earlier, he should feel ashamed – he knows better.

As to the idea that Leafs fans accept losing better than Habs fans do, I cannot entirely agree. It’s true that they’ve been waiting significantly longer for a winner, and therefore have likely gotten more used to losing, but I think that the older portion of the fanbase has gotten used to it more than the younger portion, who seem to me to be as passionate as ever. I draw this from the fact that I’ve been living in Leafs land for the past several years. But whatever.

LeBeau, why is it that fans who choose to express their doubts are labelled bandwagoners?

Bruinsfan, I think that there’s something to the idea that the Cup means more to Canadian and American players than it does to Europeans. However, I think that hits has probably changed over the past several years. But I also think that it’s more than that. The North American style of hockey, as we all know, is much more physical than is the European style, and physical play and heart are what it takes to win the most difficult trophy in sports to win. For example, Ryan Smyth is willing to lose his teeth to win, but I doubt that Alex Kovalev is willing to go that far.

46. #46 Joseph says:
    April 20, 2008 at 12:52 am

I’m not the coach, but I would be benching a couple of the softer players in this series in favour of some young ambition. Call-ups have paid dividends in the playoffs before.

47. #47 RAY SAM says:
    April 20, 2008 at 12:54 am

HABS GOING DOWN MONDAY .LONG LIVE RANGERS

48. #48 Joseph says:
    April 20, 2008 at 12:55 am

Steve from FL, I think that Chara is playing in a way that he knows will be effective against these guys. He’s right too.

49. #49 RAY SAM says:
    April 20, 2008 at 12:56 am

THERE WILL BE CRYING IN MONTREAL MONDAY ONE SPORT TOWN .RANGERS SANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS

50. #50 Joseph says:
    April 20, 2008 at 12:57 am

What the Habs need is a wrecking ball out there. Someone who’ll spark the rest of the team. Infectious ambition.