Habs fight back

• The Canadiens showed last night that they can still play hockey from time to time. They actually looked like hockey players, playing as a team and they managed a huge win. A win while coming from two goals down, something they haven’t done in a long time.

Aebischer let in the first goal and then another on a penalty shot and it started to look like the same old story for the Canadiens.

It didn’t look great when a cold Mike Dunham comes off the bench, having not started in 19 games and stoned the Canadiens on 3-4 good scoring chances. Basically outshining Aebischer at that point.

The Habs key players started doing their job.

The best game by far in a long time for Guillaume Latendresse, Michael Ryder, Chris Higgins and Andrei Kostitsyn. Hopefully this is something they can build on and produce consistently down the final stretch.

Yvon Pedenault made a great point, letting us know Guillaume Latendresse now has more goals than Alex Kovalev. One is a rookie, one is a veteran earning over $4 million.

The log jam is even tighter now with 5 teams within only 2 points of each other. All of a sudden the Islanders don’t look so secure anymore. Especially with the future of Rick DiPietro uncertain. They are by no means safe. Which is good news for the Habs.

1. #1 Hab-a-dab-a-do says:
    March 14, 2007 at 8:20 pm

Kovalev better be playing Saturday nite I wanna see that son of a bitch score twice and lay out Tucker again,

2. #2 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    March 14, 2007 at 9:02 pm

Instead of buying out Sami, pay 2/3 of his salary (same as a buy out) and traded in to the shittiest team in the league. Suffer, bitch, suffer!!!

He is with that team now……….

3. #3 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    March 14, 2007 at 9:06 pm

Hey Dr. R Hab.

I have this pain right in my Ass. Ya have any idea what it is…LOL…….

4. #4 R habs 4 real says:
    March 14, 2007 at 9:47 pm

It’s called Hab-itis! a few wins would certainly help!

5. #5 R habs 4 real says:
    March 14, 2007 at 9:49 pm

Die Hard: I have a pain too, Kovalitis! I hope it disappears!

6. #6 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    March 14, 2007 at 9:51 pm

Oh!! I thought it was Joshtmitis……….

7. #7 joburg says:
    March 14, 2007 at 11:12 pm

you guys are a riot…love this site even though a lot of the same stuff over and over, keep it going guys.
    Someone up above made the comment on bertuzzi….trust me he is just anothere maggott
    like samso and kovalev, overpaid, gutless a,d downright coward to boot.

8. #8 habs phan says:
    March 15, 2007 at 2:58 am

I’d have vertigo too if i saw rookie performing twice as good as me. giving ten times more effort, skating harder, checking harder, scoring more, gettting more ice-time. Getting paid 5 times less. Shit, my head would be spinning out of control. Kind of like having too much to drink then trying to fall asleep.
    It’s too bad it has come down to this, it just goes to show; those who really want it can acheive it. Those who think it’s a given and it will just show up on a silver platter end up with “VERTIGO”. Or as i would like to call it “VERTI-GO TO ANOTHER TEAM”. good luck against the pens boys. big couple days coming up. fill the gas tank and run those engines till there as dry as a bone!!!!!!! GO HABS GO

9. #9 habs phan says:
    March 15, 2007 at 3:11 am

OK, maybe I was a little harsh there on poor Kovalev!!!!

10. #10 LeBeau says:
    March 15, 2007 at 7:06 am

I was one of the people who thought Bertuzzi would look good in our jersey. Maybe not the best choice, but what I would really love to see for next season is some toughness. Someone who can score & hit. Someone who can change the emotion of a game with one bone-crunching body check.

11. #11 bossdj420 says:
    March 15, 2007 at 7:22 am

“I went on the Internet yesterday to try and find out what the causes are,� said Kovalev. “I want to make sure it doesn’t happen again. There’s no medicine that you can take for it but there are certain exercises you can do with your head.� R Habs 4 Real Post #45 Pills are called Serc right?
    “I definitely wouldn’t wish this experience on anyone. I’ve heard some guys say that some players were forced to retire because of it. Hopefully that doesn’t happen to me.”
    Is this his nice way of telling the media and the fans he’s done? He’s going to play a few games regardless, whether its toronto on saturday or buffalo 2 weeks from now. if we make the playoffs, he’ll be in the lineup for sure. if we don’t, salut alexei! don’t fall on the golf course!!!

12. #12 Dalley1 says:
    March 15, 2007 at 7:55 am

Amen Brothers & Sisters – Again no offense Joshtm…………….

13. #13 nigelski says:
    March 15, 2007 at 8:53 am

Been cruisin’ the net this morning, and see a lot of “experts” saying this or that about the whole Samsonov charade. Alan Adams, of Sportsnet.ca, thinks the habs would be,”…Smart to buy him out…”. Sean McCormick thinks,”The bulk of the blame lies with Guy Carbonneau.” While I agree that Samsonov has to go, and that Carbo is at least partly to blame, it irritates me to the nth degree when I read/hear these so called experts rattle off about things they only ever see on the highlight reel.

Though I don’t agree with everyone posting here, or on other hab forums, we all at least watch the Montreal games, as many as we can, and are thus informed in our opinions. Discussion/disagreement is good as it promotes debate. But no-one can see the kind of season Samsonov, and other habs for that matter, have had without watching the games. I sicerely doubt McCormick has seen any hab games the last few seasons, unless they were vs the Oilers, his self professed fave team.

That’s not a condemnation of McCormick, just simple facts. I’ve seen all but 3 or 4 of the hab games this year and not too many other teams non-mtl matchups. As a rule, we watch our favorite teams games before those of other teams. Even with the center ice package, there are only so many games a person can watch. Other factors, such as family/social life, late games interfering with work schedules, and such, preclude watching every game.

I just wish these highlight only sportscasters would watch a team play before they spout their ignorant drivel. You don’t, and won’t, see me on a Predator’s blogspace( if one even exists!) talking about things I haven’t seen, and only understand via a brief flash of morning highlights.

As for Alan Adams, I’ve made my thoughts on buying the stiff out abundantly clear on this space before. It’s what the puke has been angling for ever since he shot his mouth off. He should take a page from Ninnimma, and STFU!

14. #14 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 15, 2007 at 9:22 am

Dr. R habs 4 real,

So the only way you experience vertigo is from fluid in the inner ear??? Come on… There can be many reasons for having vertigo including Brain tumors, Blood clots, Chemical imbalances, Nerve damage, ect. Not just labrynthitis. How can you attest on the severity of someone’s aliment? Just you can do normal things does mean he can. He is playing a high level impact sport at which only a select few have the privilege to play, not driving like driving a car or everyday experiences of the common person. I have no doubt you experience vertigo and I do not question it, but keep the medical opinions to the experts…

Oh Yeah, he had a great reason to dream up a vertigo??? Scored 1 and an assist in his last outing playing with the 3rd and 4th line…LOL

Anyway he’s feeling better and most likely to play Friday.

15. #15 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 15, 2007 at 9:41 am

Post#60 LeBeau – Although, I agree we need a impact player, I think we would need more of the goal scoring kind at his price. I doubt the organization would gamble on a player at his having a questionable back and spotty history. Could only imagine the media harassment causing him the serve most of his contract behind bars for killing one of them.

His last complete year of stats does not look nay better than our current guys:
    Year Team GP G A Pts +/-
    05-06 VAN 82 25 46 71 -17

I think we could find better quality for the money.

16. #16 Dalley1 says:
    March 15, 2007 at 10:06 am

Definition of Vertigo:

Vertigo is a type of dizziness felt as a shift in a person’s relationship to the normal environment (a feeling that the room is spinning is common) or a sense of movement in space. Although dizziness and vertigo are often used interchangeably, they are not the same thing. While all vertigo is dizziness, not all dizziness is vertigo.

Description of Vertigo:

There are four major types of dizziness – vertigo, presyncope, disequilibrium, and lightheadedness. Most patients with true vertigo have a peripheral vestibular disorder, such as benign positional vertigo. This is usually associated with tinnitus and hearing loss. Central disorders, such as brain stem or cerebellar lesions, tend to be more chronic but less intense than peripheral disorders and are not associated with hearing loss. Central disorders account for only 15 percent of patients with vertigo. Vertigo is the illusion that you – or your surroundings – are moving. You may feel that you are spinning, tilting, rocking, or falling through space. You may vomit or have ringing in the ears (tinnitus). Also, your eyes may uncontrollably jerk back and forth (a condition called nystagmus).

Symptoms of Vertigo:
    A patient may experience severe vertigo for days or weeks. Nausea, vomiting, and involuntary eye movements are common. The condition gradually improves, but symptoms can persist for weeks or months.

17. #17 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 15, 2007 at 10:26 am

Well at least someone took the time to imform us, that maybe Kovy was not fit to play if he was suffering from these symptoms…

To add further info, there are three main types of vertigo: spontaneous vertigo, recurrent attacks of vertigo, and positional vertigo.

“The vertigo problem can be dervived from the ear or the brain. If the problem comes from the brain, then it is called central. Central causes of vertigo include stroke/or tumor in the brainstem, multiple sclerosis, migraine, drugs (sedatives), panic or anxiety, and head trauma. Peripheral dizziness can be seen to be less severe of the two because it does not severely affect the brain.”

18. #18 Dalley1 says:
    March 15, 2007 at 10:50 am

Medical Treatment of vertigo:

The choice of treatment will depend on the diagnosis. Vertigo can be treated with medicine you take by mouth, through medicine placed on the skin (as a patch), or drugs given through an IV. Specific types of vertigo may require additional treatment and referral:

Bacterial infection of the middle ear requires antibiotics.

For Meniere disease, in addition to symptomatic treatment, people might be placed on a low salt diet and may require medication used to increase urine output.

A hole in the inner ear causing recurrent infection may require referral to an ear, nose, and throat (ENT) specialist for surgery.

In addition to the drugs used for benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, several physical maneuvers can be used to treat the condition.

Vestibular rehabilitation exercises consist of having you sit on the edge of a table and lie down to one side until the vertigo resolves followed by sitting up and lying down on the other side, again until the vertigo ceases. This is repeated until the vertigo is no longer inducible.

Particle repositioning maneuver is a treatment based on the idea that the condition is caused by small stones in the inner ear. Your head is repositioned to move the stones to their normal position. This maneuver should be repeated until the abnormal eye movements are no longer visible.

19. #19 Dalley1 says:
    March 15, 2007 at 10:53 am

Just Call Me DR.D – M.D, PH.D

I have a PH.D in:

Habs Science

I am a M.D in KICKIN LEAF ASS………….

20. #20 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 15, 2007 at 10:59 am

So the treatment would depend on the diagnosis of the type of vertigo? Which the doctors could not pinpoint, so instead of taking drugs needlessly becasue of a possible misdiagnosis, he chose the exercises… makes sense to me…

Like I said, seems like he’s feeling better and possible for a return this weekend at this point… We’ll know more after todays skate.

21. #21 Dalley1 says:
    March 15, 2007 at 11:20 am

Thats’s my Prognosis yes.

It is good that Kovalev may/will get better. I don’t want to see anybody suffering from sickness. But I don’t mind Leaf Fans suffering at the hands of the Habs though. I don’t hate Kovalev. I don’t hate anybody. Hate is such a hard word. I dislike a few people………..

BUT will his return help or hurt our Habs?????????

22. Didn’t Jeff Hackett retire from Vertigo?

23. #23 Dalley1 says:
    March 15, 2007 at 11:40 am

Yes He sure did…………

24. #24 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 15, 2007 at 11:48 am

It is entirely possible Kovalev could have the same faith as Hackett. But just because he is experiencing it does not make it a death sentence. People suffer from concussions symptoms, some need to retire, but some recover. We shouldn’t judge him for suffering from the experience.

25. #25 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 15, 2007 at 11:49 am

Should be ‘fate’ not Faith. although, our faith has been shaken recently…

26. #26 nigelski says:
    March 15, 2007 at 11:59 am

webMD meets habsblog…

27. #27 R habs 4 real says:
    March 15, 2007 at 12:05 pm

Kovalev is simply- AN IMPOSTER! If he sneezed once, he would tell us all he has the flu, and not show up for a week. Besides, he did undergo tests, and it was concluded: a simple case of dizzy spells- ONE OF THE MOST COMMON AILMENTS SUFFERED BY MILLIONS OF PEOPLE! SERC IS THE MOST RECOMMENDED PILL AND WORKS FOR ALOT OF PEOPLE. But as I stated in an earlier post, I do have to question his timing on all these so called ailments. First, the elbow injury IMMEDIATELY AFTER HE’S BENCHED! then the vertigo thing, RIGHT AFTER HIS BASHING OF TEAMMATES AND COACHES TO A RUSSIAN NEWSPAPER! It’s just all too convenient! And we already know he has NO HEART, so it wouldn’t take much to keep him out of the lineup. Besides,whether he’s in the lineup or out of the lineup, HE’S STILL INVISIBLE!
    And County habs fan: I made my comments about Vertigo, only AFTER he had undergone a battery of tests to pinpoint and eliminate other related illnesses.
    And yes of course, when you’re dizzy, you get nautious. I can relate to that. It’s not fun, but an attack usually last for only about 15-20 seconds.
    For me. I find it difficult when sleeping, because when I turn my head to the left, I get extremely dizzy. Another cause of vertigo, is STRESS! I get attacks when I feel very stressed. But what does Kovalev need to be stressed over? He certainly doesn’t work hard, and he makes an exsorbient amount of money for working maybe 20 games a year. (that’s the only amount of games he’s truly visible). Oh, yeah and his wonderful 14 goals! What a joke he is!

28. #28 R habs 4 real says:
    March 15, 2007 at 12:12 pm

Personally, I hope he has vertigo the rest of the season, because his lack of effort, gives me stress and VERTIGO! Whether he truly has vertigo(or just looking for an excuse to get out of his contract, and out of this city) is debatable. But 1 thing he is- is a CANCER ON THIS TEAM!

29. #29 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 15, 2007 at 12:12 pm

Moving on… What worries me is PITT still rolling toward the playoffs with a full head of steam. They’ve only lost 1 game outright this month and are coming off an impressive shutout win over our nemeses NJD. The surprising thing is the NJD win was the only game that was not decided by 1 goal. They seemed to have strung together wins in an eerily similar Habs style looking, if one looks back to compare it to the 1st half of our season. Maybe it will catch up with them too… but at the most crucial time!

30. With KOVALEV being a pilot ,I would wonder if he’s been flying lately? Mind you ,we been flying with him all season ,which gave me acid reflux, vertigo, panic attacks and bouts of anger and depression! These symptoms got worse in conjunction with samsonitis. It feels like getting bonked in the head making me feel like I have downey symptom and I’ve been souray ever since. lol

31. #31 Dalley1 says:
    March 15, 2007 at 12:15 pm

What is the cure? OR Should I ask that…………..

32. #32 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 15, 2007 at 12:16 pm

and Not arguing the fact that his season has been a big disapointment… but so have a lot of player’s this season.

33. Xhabsfan:

That was a great one!

34. #34 nigelski says:
    March 15, 2007 at 12:26 pm

Am watching HockeyCentral@noon on snet1 as i type, and they are actually talking about Montreal! Oh, but it’s pj stock they are talking to, and so far it’s reminiscing about the good old Long Island days. So i don’t expect much here. They WERE threatening to talk about us, but choked on a leaf i think.

35. #35 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 15, 2007 at 12:40 pm

nhttp://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://rds.ca/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Drds%26hl%3Den

RDS reporting: Kovalev, Bonk, and Perez not traveling to PITT…

36. #36 Dalley1 says:
    March 15, 2007 at 1:59 pm

Joshtm has Tourette’s syndrome…. Yes, yes he does…

He writes and says obscene words and socially inappropriate and derogatory remarks to fellow Bloggers.

So we have to take pitty on him right…………………NOT………..

37. I agree Kovalev is a cancer on the team and should be gone by the end of the season. He is a BIG PIECE OF SHIT!! He should be flushed down the toilet like Samsonov. He is a waste of space and someone who doesn’t deserve to wear the CH. He only shows up and plays every 5 games anyhow and so we won’t be missing much from him because he never contributes. Even if he has a big game, say against the Leafs on Saturday, that won’t change my mind or my feelings on him. We still need to get rid of him and AFTER THIS SEASON!! He should not play for Montreal after this year.

Ziman

38. #38 Dalley1 says:
    March 15, 2007 at 3:43 pm

As the newly apointed HabsBlog DR. I will now be seeing patients. I will be helping you HabBloggers with your Issues.

Boy do you guys have Issues….. Anyway…..

So Who’s first to see DR. D?

39. #39 Dalley1 says:
    March 15, 2007 at 4:02 pm

No volunteers Ok.

Joshtm your are lucky #1.

OK lye down on my couch AND no funny business ……… Now that will be the first Issue we will discuss…….

So Joshtm tell me about your childhood………….

40. LOL… I can see that the fun is back at this site.

Kovalitis! A pain in the ass! Joshtmitis! I love this stuff.

Didn’t Malakhov also suffer from a form of Kovalitis? If I remember correctly, it affected his ability to play hockey but oddly enough, did not keep him off the ski slopes!

I fully agree! It’s time for these ailments that seem to end up on the injured reserved list of the Habs (but none of the other teams to just go away.) For example, I don’t want to see that anyone on this team is out with chronic fatigue syndrome, irritable bowel syndrome, fibromyalgia, tourette’s syndrome, etc. anymore.

Hopefully, Kovalev and Samsanov can get over their Kovalitis too. Doubtful, however, given that the seats in the press box that they will be sitting in until next June are probably not that comfortable.

Go Habs Go. Keep your sticks on the ice against Crosby on Friday, but go ahead and destroy the Pens at actually playing hockey!

41. “Verti-go to another team.” LOL.

Whoever came up with that one is a genius!

Everyone should bring placards with that slogan if Kovalev ever gets the guts to show his face at the Bell Center again.

42. #42 Dalley1 says:
    March 15, 2007 at 4:24 pm

I see Joshtm, you were an unhappy child.

You were bullied at school…..

You got no love from your parents….

That’s ok. Don’t cry, here’s a tissue. What, you are Closet Leafs Fan. That’s ok, I will help you with that too. I will help you with your Issuses. It will be along road. God a long road. But we will get through it……

43. #43 nigelski says:
    March 15, 2007 at 5:08 pm

Dr Kevorkian(sp?) could be called in to deal with select team members…

44. #44 R habs 4 real says:
    March 15, 2007 at 6:01 pm

NEWS FLASH: Kovalev blew his nose so hard, he broke a blood vessel. out of the lineup minimum 2 weeks. Alos, his helmet can no longer fit on his head. due to a swelled head and over sized ego. His head is now too big for his undeachieving body! Just to change the subject, we need a couple of strong armed D men like some from the good old days. I’m sure some of the older hab fans can recall 2 guys who played with the leafs in the 60′s: Bobby Baun and Tim Horton(donuts). These guys were tough as nails. when they hit you, you didn’t get back up. And they were fearless. I remember BAUN playing in the playoffs with a broken foot! The only Dman of today that vaguely resembles those guys, is PHANEUF(because of his hard hits). I wish we could draft Dman like those. Nobody would ever skate by them!

45. #45 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    March 15, 2007 at 6:06 pm

LOL. Who would that be? Please, do tell.

There sure is alot of picking on Joshtm. He has not retaliated yet. Maybe the calm before the storm.

He knows what it feels like now. Good on him.

46. #46 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    March 15, 2007 at 6:08 pm

That was before my time.

What about Lapointe & Robinson. They were not too shabby.

47. #47 R habs 4 real says:
    March 15, 2007 at 6:17 pm

Here’s the best analogy of those Dmen. It’s like comparing eggs,(Lapointe and Robinson), to bricks(Baun and Horton). I’m not kidding. you would be scared just looking at their body strength. But I very very young, and they were at the tail end of their careers. But I really do like Phaneuf. Man can that guy hit. He makes you pay for coming his way!

48. #48 habsfan_for_life1212 says:
    March 15, 2007 at 6:27 pm

I don’t care what anyody says about this team, they have a very bright future in players like higgins, Ryder, Latendresse, Kostitsyn, plekanec, Komisarek, Price, Chipchura fischer and grabovski. The habs are ranked 6th in prospect depth and for a team that has never sucked enough to get a top five pick (besides price) i find that we are drafting exceptionally well. This year might not be our year but the future is definitly bright

49. #49 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    March 15, 2007 at 6:30 pm

Well RHAb I can’t debate that issue for I was not around back then. But I will take your word for it Friend.

50. #50 habsfan_for_life1212 says:
    March 15, 2007 at 6:34 pm

If you wanted to know the other five teams ahead of montreal in prospecr depth are:
    Pittsburgh(sucked for a very long time before this season)
    LA (when was the last time they made the playoffs??)
    Chicago (what can i say?)
    Washington (diddo)
    Columbus (they’ve never made the playoffs!!)
    The habs are drafting very well since about 2001