Habs / Flyers: Game 1

• If we learned anything from round 1 of the Playoffs, it’s that regular season records mean absolutely nothing.

The Canadiens once again play a team they dominated in the regular season. Undefeated, at home and on the road.

If we learned anything else, it’s expect the unexpected.

Who knows what Philly team will show up? Who knows if Montreal will play with the urgency and intensity that they need? Will they underestimate the Flyers the same way they did the Bruins?

Will the powerplay resume and be the decision maker in this series? Or continue to struggle and be indifferent?

Can Martin Biron be as good or better than Carey Price?

All these and many more questions need to be answered starting tonight in Montreal.

1. #1 Red Deer Canadien says:
    April 25, 2008 at 10:27 am

Love last night’s game. It was absolutely perfect. Remember 92-93 season… sound familiar??

2. Post#250,you better watch your punk-ass mouth biatch when talking about Canadians or Canadiens…..Unless you want higher gas prices and a surprise attack to take back Detroit,lol…..just settle for a quick knock-out of you overachieving flyers and take it like the loser you are……OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE ……………………………………………………

3. #3 groundworking says:
    April 25, 2008 at 11:40 am

That was probably the worst game the Habs played so far in the playoffs, other than perhaps the shallacking from Boston one game in round 1. So, the big difference between this brutal performance and the last one is that the Habs still won. If the Canadians played an average game, the score last night is maybe 6 or 7 to 1.

Yet, this is how Phily played in the whole series against Washington. So unless Phily elevates their game to a higher level, or unless Montreal just plays brutal the entire series, this one is over in 4.

And yes, that puck was “clearly” hit with a high stick OVER the cross-bar, as any blind man could tell you from having watched the replay 100 times in slow motion. And no, Richards clean check at the end of the game on a player who had beat him cleanly wasn’t a penalty, it was simply a simply a clean “leg check”. And yes, people in Toronto are always biased in favor of Montreal. And yes, the NHL loves to see American teams get beat out, because the NHL is really concerned with expanding the popularity of hockey in Canada. And yes, Montreal got all the lucky bounces, including two lucky bounces right off Phily’s goal post in the first period. Blah Blah Blah. You know, that’s the difference between Habs fans and fans from other team (except maybe the Red Wings). When our team sucks, we know it, and when they lose, we don’t make excuses.

4. #4 Joseph says:
    April 25, 2008 at 11:52 am

… are you going to tell me that 2nd goal wasn’t hit with a high stick????

Yes. It’s not where the stick is but where the puck and stick made contact, which was, in fact, not above the crossbar. Further, Kovalev held his stick below his shoulders on the play, which is more what the replay folks go on these days.

It’s funny that so many Flyers fans should complain about the officiating last night. What a silly excuse to fall back on. Especially after what unfolded in Game 7 in their series against Washington. Any Flyer fans remember that second Flyer goal in Game 7? Any Flyer fans remember that powerplay awarded to their team in overtime after the whistles had been retired for almost two full periods? And now you’re going to come in here and pull the ref card out? That’s… pretty funny.

5. #5 rhabs4real says:
    April 25, 2008 at 12:00 pm

talking about giving penalties at the end of a game or OT: Wasn’t Philly the recipient of a penalty called against the Caps in OT? If not for that PP goal, the Flyers would not won that game. remember that flyers fan.
    And remember that the rules regarding a stick at the same height of the crossbar, say it’s a goal. I can’t believe these sour grapes.
    The habs actually were called for more penalties than the flyers. Maybe the refs are anti habs. During the course of the regular season haven’t we all complained about all the bad calls against the habs, and that the officials like to stick it to the habs? flyers fans have no idea what were talking about? And if the same thing happened to their team, do you think they would complain? honestly!

6. #6 Joseph says:
    April 25, 2008 at 12:04 pm

The post-game interview with Flyers coach Stevens was amusing as well. Anyone catch that one? He said that the Habs got all the breaks in the game. Really, John? When the Habs hit the posts behind Biron twice in the first 10 minutes, they were getting the breaks? When the first Flyer goal was deflected in off of Brisebois’s stick, the Habs were getting the breaks? When Markov scored one second to late in the first period, the Habs were getting the breaks? When the third Flyer goal bounced off of Price’s glove, off of a skate, and then in to the net, the Habs were getting the breaks?

I like sports. I like the biased view that coaches and players and fans have following a game. It’s very entertaining.

7. #7 DieHard Habs Fan says:
    April 25, 2008 at 12:05 pm

What a Dork this Flyers coach is!

He said; “we certainly didn’t get any breaks,” Flyers coach John Stevens said. “I wasn’t sure on the high-stick there. It’s tough.”

Didn’t get any breaks? Are you Shitting me?

What about the 2 goal posts Montreal hit?

What about the fluky goal by Breezer?

What about the third fluky goal by the Flyers off a leg?

What a Doush Bag.

8. #8 Joseph says:
    April 25, 2008 at 12:08 pm

These disgruntled Flyers fans haven’t a leg to stand on. The ref arguments don’t hold any water at all. These are sour grapes and nothing more.

The only thing I am in agreement with is the classlessness of the fan that threw a beer at Richards. That’s not just classless, that’s embarrassing. But hey, the Flyers’ fansbase has its share of classless fans as well. Anyone remember the fan that fell in to the penalty box with Tie Domi? That’s not just classless, that’s incredibly stupid.

9. #9 Joseph says:
    April 25, 2008 at 12:16 pm

I recall a playoff series between Toronto and Philadelphia several years ago where the now forgotten Sergei Berezin scored the GWG on the powerplay in OT. Clarke was livid after the game, claiming tht the refs were biased, and further that they must have been from Toronto. What Clarke seemd to overlook was the fact that his Flyers were awarded 7 (seven!) straight powerplays in the second period of that game. They failed to capitalize on any of them, and when the Leafs did in OT the game was suddenly ‘fixed’.

On that note, does anyone see a correlation between Clarke’s whining about officiating and the whining about officiating that’s witnessed among Flyers fans?

10. #10 Joseph says:
    April 25, 2008 at 12:18 pm

Actually, I am in disagreement with what the fan did.

11. #11 rhabs4real says:
    April 25, 2008 at 12:47 pm

guess Philly thinks if they win, all calls were fair, but if they lose, because the other team got all the breaks! I think they should change their name to the Philadelphia criers, or whiners!

12. #12 Joseph says:
    April 25, 2008 at 12:56 pm

That appears to be the case, rhabs4real, but with more than just the Flyers fans.

The thing that I don’t understand is this seemingly irresistable urge to come to the opposing team’s fan site and complain. God forbid I’m allowed to come here to share my enjoyment with fellow Habs fans without having to contend with Flyers fans trying to piss on our wave. Misery loves company indeed.

13. #13 jack hab says:
    April 25, 2008 at 12:58 pm

XTRAHABSFAN???? POST #250 WAS BY ME!!!

I think you meant post 249.

OLE… HABS IN 6!! …Ole

14. #14 Joseph says:
    April 25, 2008 at 1:16 pm

Anyway, the Flyers thought that they were going to steal Game 1, but no such luck. The Habs got the job done with a minimal amount of effort last night, which should speak volumes to both Habs and Flyers fans. If this team ever brought its A game for more than one game–and it better if the Habs have any hopes of seeing the SCF–then the Flyers would be in serious trouble… unless they show that they are capable of a much better game than they showed last night or in any of their games against Washington (a team that overachieved down the stretch just to get in).

15. #15 rhabs4real says:
    April 25, 2008 at 1:21 pm

habs are going to win no matter what Philly does, because we’re a team of destiny! It’s our year; call it fate!

16. #16 rhabs4real says:
    April 25, 2008 at 1:24 pm

1993 all over again! can’t do anything wrong. winning no matter what happens. And that’s exasctly how it’s been going, so far. How many great games have we played in the playoffs? game 1 vs the bruins, 2nd and 3rd period of the 7th game. that’s it folks.

17. #17 CT Caps Fan says:
    April 25, 2008 at 1:37 pm

Habs fans, congrats on the win last night. I must warn you, these flyer trolls will only get worse. Trust me, I went 7 games with them. They have no right to blame the refs for your win after the first round was given to them. The goal was not hit in with a high stick. You could also see that Richards stuck out his leg.

The better team did not win the first round, but so be it. The better team will win this round and that will be the Habs in 5. Good luck in this series and don’t let the trolls get to you. That is all they have. Abusive language without any true knowledge.

18. #18 Flyersfan says:
    April 25, 2008 at 1:43 pm

Good game last night and thats all I can ask from my flyers. Atleast I know this will be a tigher then I previously thought. I have no problems with the refs last night although I did think Richards penatly was a little weak. The only problem I have was a the beer that hit Richie in the penalty box…. just no need for that. I wouldn’t be surprise to to a “Hab” get soaked when they come to Philly for a little payback but I hope not.

19. #19 Joseph says:
    April 25, 2008 at 2:13 pm

Welcome, CT Caps Fan. While many here were afraid of a potential ECF match-up against Huet and Ovechkin, I would have liked to have seen your team move on. Ovechkin brings the kind of passion that makes this game fun to watch, especially at this time of year. As does the play of Backstrom and Semin. However, I knew that if Philly could silence Ovechkin for most of the series, the Caps would be in tight. And to the Flyers’ credit, they did just that. But there’s always next season, when your younger players have matured another year, and gained some valuable playoff experience along the way.

Flyersfan, it was a good game last night. And the ending was dramatic. Habs fans and Flyes fans will always see the penalty call from different perspectives, but according to the rule book, what Richards did justified a penalty call, whether it was intentional or not. he stuck out his backend and caught Kovalev on the leg, tripping him upon entering the offensive zone with the puck. I mean, of course that’s a penalty.

As to the beer thrown at Richards, I concur. It was shameful. But one idiot does not a fanbase make.

20. #20 Joseph says:
    April 25, 2008 at 2:16 pm

Did anyone catch Souray on NHL Live? He was praising both the city of Montreal and the Habs organization. He said that he learned a lot about respect and professionalism during his tenure in Montreal.

21. #21 CT Caps Fan says:
    April 25, 2008 at 2:22 pm

@ Joseph, thanks! We are very excited for the new Caps. We think they will be a very good if not great team for many years to come, plus they have the lowest payroll (i.e. lots of money left) of most any team so we can be aggressive this year.

Wow, it would have been an amazing series to see the Caps and the Habs play and it would have been in the Conf Finals too, if things worked out. Oh well, I am sure in the near future it will happen.

Again, good luck and we will be watching!

22. #22 DieHard Habs Fan says:
    April 25, 2008 at 2:41 pm

I just love it.

Everybody SING!!!!!

23. #23 Joseph says:
    April 25, 2008 at 2:42 pm

Thanks, CT Caps Fan. And you’ve got good reason to be excited about your team. They’ll no doubt be a force for years to come.

Penguins-Capitals would have been just as much fun to watch, but I’m sure we’ll see it sooner than later.

24. #24 Joseph says:
    April 25, 2008 at 2:44 pm

The funny thing is that it doesn’t really matter what the Habs do from here on out. They’ve already made so much progress this season.

Thank you, Habs.

Having said that, if you’re 11 wins away, then why not go for it with all you’ve got…

25. #25 Flyersfan says:
    April 25, 2008 at 3:28 pm

Joseph – I agree with you if I was a “Hab” fan i would have seen the Richards penalty the other way, it just look like a shoulder not a knee to philly fan. I knew as soon as it was called you guys were gonna score 6-4 your team is very talented and very agressive on your PP. It should be a good series just like the last one with the Caps who I also love to watch. I do see Montreal winning this series but if we can get in Price’s head with alot of shots and some contact we do have a shot to score some goals on him. Anyway good luck Habs here is one Philly fan who respects your team, pride and country.

Have to say this though “GO FLYERS”

26. #26 Joseph says:
    April 25, 2008 at 3:47 pm

Flyersfan, if only there were more like you. (I’m sure that there are, but just few of whom come in here.)

Thanks for being a passionate yet objective fan.

The only thing that I would add is this: Price has proven himself to be the real deal as far as all the hype surrounding him was concerned. This kid is a goaltending phenom at 20 years of age. He doesn’t lose his cool, he doesn’t crack under pressure and he rarely gets rattled. So the Flyers will have their work cut out for them if they hope to throw him off of his game. He’s also a technically sound goaltender, not only positionally but also with regard to playing angles and controlling rebounds, so they’ll have to shoot through traffic, as they did on their second goal last night, to score on him consistently. But this is easier said than done. The Habs have some big defensemen who are good at clearing the crease and blocking shots.

Speaking of the second goal, obstructing Price was something that the Habs had discussed prior to this series, which would explain Price’s reaction to the second Flyers goal in last night’s game – his own defenseman (I forget who) was standing in his line of sight when that goal was scored. Price threw up his arms as if to say ‘Guys, didn’t we agree to try and avoid this sort of thing?’

Anyway, I respect Canada, its hockey fans and my Habs, too, but it’s not my country of birth. I’m originally from the other side of the state, in Penguinsville.

27. I really believe the Flyers got the bounces, and the Habs got the calls. Too bad the latter made more of a difference. Oh well, I feel the Flyers played far better against the Habs than the Caps. Being a Flyer fan, im rooting for them and after the game, I feel this will be a close series.

28. Not to take anything away from Price, but he looked kinda shaky for being hyped up to be as good as Dryden and Roy. He’s good for sure, but he didn’t look very comfortable last night

29. Nice,Flyersfan enjoy the series .Jack Hab,your post is#151 on my end,anywho just taking care of a troll,lol.Nice of Caps fan to warn us there’s gonna be a little whinning troll action headed our way,great, more whinning from Washington,what’s new.

30. #30 habsfan says:
    April 25, 2008 at 4:30 pm

Habs Team Chemistry looks very good right now. My only problem is with Carb’s insistence on not changing the lineup.

Lapierre -2 with only 8 minutes Ice Time Game 1, fine he can play physical, but lets give someone else a chance.

Dandenault -1 with 6 minutes, and slow as Hell !

Streit -1 with 9 minutes, always looks likes hes going to give up the puck – frustrating to watch.

If I was coaching, I would make sure rotate a couple of these guys in next game for sure. Scotty Bowman was the best at always rotating your 4th line players, to keep everyone hungry and fresh. Carbs has a lot to learn there.

Chipchura – hes great defensively – and deserves a shot. He could really help on taking out Flyers best player, Briere etc.

Latendresse – hes better than Dandenault for sure.

Ryder – not sure about this one, but doesnt he deserve another shot?

Brock Trotter – would love to see this kid play, maybe hes a real gem – doubt we will find out this year.

31. #31 habsfan says:
    April 25, 2008 at 4:43 pm

And on D, how about giving Hamilton call ups Mathieu Carle and Pavel Valentenko a shot? What about O’Byrne – he would match up well against some of the bigger Philly Forwards.

Brisebois could use at least one game in the press box.

We have too many of the same type of D playing.

Fine they are all great moving the puck quickly – but not too good when you cant get the puck !

32. Flyersfan, all I can say is that the Richards penalty was a tougher call then the Goalie interference on Huet and Washington.

Seing Richards hit Kovalev from the referee facing him might of been obviously that it was the shouder, but the other referee that sees it from the back, those see the knee sticking. Tough luck. We cannot base the whole game on one play as there where so many in that game that could of changed everything. And thats on both sides.

33. Brisebois needs at least 10 games in the stands lol

34. #34 GONORDIQUES says:
    April 25, 2008 at 5:14 pm

GO HABS!

35. #35 Joseph says:
    April 25, 2008 at 6:56 pm

Admittedly, I didn’t get a great look at the replay on the Richards hit. But either way, is it not interference when a player puts the puck behind you and you obstruct him from getting to it… especially in open ice… especially in an attempt to gain the offensive zone?

Anyway. For Flyers fans, a powerplay opportunity cannot be blamed for the game tying goal. The Flyers’ inability to win the face-off and get the puck out, on the other hand, can.

Penguins and Rangers in five minutes… should be a good one to watch.

36. #36 marblehead says:
    April 25, 2008 at 7:53 pm

Biggest Loser fan base in pro sports goes to the Montreal Canadians fans!!!

1) booing another countrys national anthem. Shame on you!!

2) Singing gay songs at a hockey game. What kind of Hockey fan does that, this is Hockey!!

3) Destroying your city after a first round win over the 8th seed?

I love hockey and I respect the Montreal Canadiens even though they are going nowhere but the fans a bunch of losers.

37. #37 marblehead says:
    April 25, 2008 at 7:55 pm

also someone tell me why do you boo Chara everytime he touches the puck? its stupid!! please give me a good reason for that one.

thanks

38. #38 rhabs4real says:
    April 25, 2008 at 9:48 pm

NYR blew a 3 goal lead, and lost to Pitt. I think NY would be an easier opponent than Pitt, because Pitt has lots of talent and speed. NY is slower, but better defensively.Toss up. What do you guys think?

April 25, 2008 at 10:06 pm

Because Chara is a bully , he goes after the small players … Singing at the game shows we are not afraid of what others think, so what if it comes from another sport we make it our own !!!

40. #40 Senet 1 says:
    April 25, 2008 at 10:10 pm

140 EFFINFLYERS!!
    Posted on April 24th, 2008 at 10:40 pm. About ‘Habs / Flyers: Game 1′.

Senet 1

When you are swatting DOWN on a puck that was above your shoulders or crossbar IT WAS IS A HIGH STICK!! Oh and I didn’t know that you knee was above your torso when you play for the flyers.

SORRY WRONG AGAIN, READ THE RULES THEY EXPLAINED THE RULE AFTER THE GAME THE OTHER NIGHT. AND SHOULD SHOULD WATCH THE GAME AGAIN AND SEE HOW HIS STICK MADE THE FIRST CONTACT THEN THE KNEE. THE PENALTY HAS BEEN CALLED ALL YEAR, AND IF IT WAS THAT BAD OF A CALL YOUR COACH WOULD HAVE BEEN A LOT MORE UPSET. YOU OBVIOUSLY ARE A LITTLE BIAS ABOUT YOUR LOSS.

41. Post #287,it’s pointless trying to explain anything to a marblehead,lol…..go habs go….

42. #42 Joseph says:
    April 25, 2008 at 10:20 pm

marblehead, you apparently have some anger issues that you need to work out for yourself. Nothing you had to express here is worth commenting on.

Anyone see the Penguins-Rangers game tonight? What a strange game. Three goals came directly from defelctions off of defensemen’s skates on attempting centering passes.

Anyway, the Rangers lead 3-0 and lost 5-4. I think that they’re making a new name for themselves – ‘Kings of Blown Leads’. And significant leads at that.

43. #43 Joseph says:
    April 25, 2008 at 10:22 pm

When a player is booed it’s actually a compliment to that player. He’s being booed because he’s usually the best player on the opposing team. All hockey fanbases do this. It’s nothing new.

44. #44 Senet 1 says:
    April 25, 2008 at 10:27 pm

249 Flyers really won game one
    Posted on April 25th, 2008 at 9:30 am. About ‘Habs / Flyers: Game 1′.

What a joke last night was….I now see its the Flyers vs Canada not just Montreal. Don’t get me wrong it’s not the Canadiens I have a problem with but are you going to tell me that 2nd goal wasn’t hit with a high stick????

IT IS NOT WHERE THE STICK WAS IT IS WHERE IT MAKES CONTACT WITH THE PUCK, THE CROSS BAR IS NOT THE ONLY GUIDE IN ORDER FOR IT TO BE A HIGH STICK IT MUST BE ABOVE THE PLAYERS SHOULDER, IN BOTH CASES THE LOWER PART OF THE STICK MADE CONTACT WITH THE PUCK WHICH WAS BELOW THE CROSS BAR CLEARLY ON THE REPLAY YOU COULD SEE THAT AND SINCE THE BAR IS LESS THAN 5 FEET HIGH THE STICK WAS NOT ABOVE THE KOVY’S SHOULDERS. THEREFORE IN BOTH CASES IT HAD TO BE CALLED A GOAL.

45. #45 Senet 1 says:
    April 25, 2008 at 10:32 pm

254 Joseph
    Posted on April 25th, 2008 at 11:52 am. About ‘Habs / Flyers: Game 1′

GOOD POINTS JOSEPH!!!!!!!!!!!

46. #46 Senet 1 says:
    April 25, 2008 at 10:49 pm

287 marblehead
    Posted on April 25th, 2008 at 7:55 pm. About ‘Habs / Flyers: Game 1′.

THAT BOOING A PLAYER HAS BEEN PART OF HOCKEY FOR YEARS, AND VERY INTIMIDATING FOR SOME PLAYERS, I THINK IT AFFECTED HIS PLAY, YOU HAVE TO KNOW THE HISTORY OF THE HABS VS OTTAWA TO UNDERSTAND THE REASON FOR THE BOOING.

47. #47 Senet 1 says:
    April 25, 2008 at 10:55 pm

288 rhabs4real

I tend to agree the NYR would be an easier to play against. However, I like their goaltending but I did not see the game tonight, someone said there were a lot of goals off skates. I think MYR have the better goaltending game in and game out but any goalie can get hot for a series or two.

I just think that Pittsburg have a lot of talent on their team, question is can they play a good team game if their talented players get shut down? I guess we will have to wait an see, the Rangers have talent and experience which really makes it confusing to see them loose games where they have a leads.

48. #48 Joseph says:
    April 25, 2008 at 11:05 pm

# 278 Joe
    Posted on April 25th, 2008 at 3:53 pm. About ‘Habs / Flyers: Game 1′.

He’s 20 years old, and playing in his first playoff. Also, you have to remember that Dryden and Roy didn’t exactly pitch shutouts every game. Price is as good as either was.

49. #49 Joseph says:
    April 25, 2008 at 11:06 pm

Thanks, Senet 1. Wouldn’t it be easier if fans took the time to understand the rules before complaining about calls?

50. #50 Joseph says:
    April 25, 2008 at 11:19 pm

One more thing, Joe…

Consider the nature of the three Flyer goals. The first was deflected off of Brisebois’s stick (no goaltender is stopping that). The second was shot upper corner, past a blinded Price (no goaltender is stopping that). And the third was off the top of Price’s glove, off of Lupul’s leg/skate, and in to the net (perhaps the only one that Price could assume some of the blame for).