Habs / Flyers: Game 2

• Sloppy play, unlucky bounces & fluky goals all characterized game one of this series.

The Habs managed a late comeback victory regardless of all that.

What will happen if the Habs or the Flyers execute their game plan effectively?

1. #1 EFFINFLYERS!! says:
    April 27, 2008 at 12:47 am

Joseph

I am a fan of Price’s skills, but don’t you think he’s playing a bit out of his head? I feel the same way about Biron, right now he looks unstoppable, but I think any insecurity can bury either netminder in this series. Neither has looked “Conn Smythe” so far.

2. As far as chants go ,the Habs have had many during thier long and glorious history,24 cups etc….deal with it!!!

3. #3 Joseph says:
    April 27, 2008 at 12:49 am

I’d have to agree with your goaltender analysis, EF. Every tim e I witness a great game by Price, I think ‘This kid is the real deal’, but then he has a game like he did tonight. Flyers fan or not, he let in some very soft goals.

4. #4 Joseph says:
    April 27, 2008 at 12:50 am

Same for Biron. He rose to the challenge tonight. Not so much in Game 1.

5. #5 Joseph says:
    April 27, 2008 at 12:54 am

By the way, EF, we are in agreement with regard to Crosby’s antics. He’s a great talent no doubt. I just wish that he’d grow up and play hockey.

6. #6 EFFINFLYERS!! says:
    April 27, 2008 at 12:55 am

I am fascinated with Canadian pop culture right now. It may be an addiction, my next inquiry is about Don Cherry. I can understand thew following of hockey in Canada, I wish it were like that here, but he’s just a commetator right? Or is the some sort of magical force behind that bald head an white goatee?

7. #7 EFFINFLYERS!! says:
    April 27, 2008 at 12:56 am

We need something like that here.

8. #8 Joseph says:
    April 27, 2008 at 12:58 am

Don Cherry’s real name is Christopher Cringle, born in the North Pole, 1773.

9. Did you hear thier coach whining tonite,what a joke ,crashing the net ,board of govenors,bla bla bla…the flyers were built to intimidate other teams and that’s all they can do!!!They are going to have thier asses handed to them by the Habs…oooohhhh yeahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. #10 EFFINFLYERS!! says:
    April 27, 2008 at 1:00 am

Joseph

I totally agree with you. You could have flip/flopped the performances between the the 2 goalies from game 1 to game 2. This may be a longer series than many could have thought.

11. #11 EFFINFLYERS!! says:
    April 27, 2008 at 1:01 am

SANTA!!!!!

12. #12 Joseph says:
    April 27, 2008 at 1:01 am

Santa’s dark side.

13. #13 Joseph says:
    April 27, 2008 at 1:02 am

You guys had a bald guy called ‘Panger’ down there for a while. I believe that he was one of Santa’s elves.

14. #14 Joseph says:
    April 27, 2008 at 1:04 am

Well, the Habs are making a habit of creating longer series than originally thought this playoff year, so why stop with Boston?

15. #15 EFFINFLYERS!! says:
    April 27, 2008 at 1:04 am

Xtrahabsfan

Ignorance is bliss…wake up and smell the series. It’s gonna be long fought son. The flyers played the better of both games besides the crappy calls. This should be a great round.

16. #16 EFFINFLYERS!! says:
    April 27, 2008 at 1:06 am

Santa’s dark side? Is he hardspoken or something?

17. #17 Joseph says:
    April 27, 2008 at 1:10 am

Hardspoken would be an understatement. He’s been highly controversial for years.

Evil Santa

18. #19 EFFINFLYERS!! says:
    April 27, 2008 at 1:12 am

Sounds good, But Parren Pang is nowhere near one of his elves then. Maybe Mike Millbury?

19. #20 Joseph says:
    April 27, 2008 at 1:13 am

I’d have to disagree that the Flyers played the better of both games. The Habs dominated most of the game tonight–the Flyers couldn’t handle their speed–but simply failed to get enough pucks past Biron. On the other hand… was Price’s faulty catching glove.

20. #21 EFFINFLYERS!! says:
    April 27, 2008 at 1:13 am

Mike is quite the bastard.

21. #22 EFFINFLYERS!! says:
    April 27, 2008 at 1:14 am

Joseph

The Flyers spent quite some time in the offensive zone tonight.

22. #23 Joseph says:
    April 27, 2008 at 1:17 am

Panger was born in the North Pole as well (under a rock), relocated to the U.S. to fulfill the role of hockey analyst for ESPN (of all things), and was then mailed north of the border (inside of a Christmas card, of all things) to the TSN studios. Very suspicious.

There’s also suspicion that Pierre McGuire may be an ex-elf as well. It’s being looked in to.

23. #24 Joseph says:
    April 27, 2008 at 1:18 am

In the Habs’ offensive zone? I agree… quite a lot. ;-)

24. #25 EFFINFLYERS!! says:
    April 27, 2008 at 1:21 am

Sorry, to get back on the “chants”, I think it’s kind of cool. Maybe the NHL needs something like that. Not that they need ro draw in fans…maybe something to get the pre-exising fans to get more into the live product. Just a thought.

25. #26 Joseph says:
    April 27, 2008 at 1:21 am

Milbury is blunt, that’s for sure. He called McGuire an ‘entertaining jerk’ on air. Milbury was arguing that Avery is a jerk. McGuire countered that Avery was entertaining. Milbury concluded “So he’s an entertaining jerk, like you.’

26. #27 Joseph says:
    April 27, 2008 at 1:25 am

I like the originality of chants and songs. Many people complain about the Ole song, for instance, especially Leafs fans (Toronto is conservative and unimaginative), but I think it’s great that Habs fans do something different to deviate from the norm.

In conclusion, all hockey fanbases should establish their own chants/songs.

27. #28 Joseph says:
    April 27, 2008 at 1:29 am

Alright, I’m off to bed. Happy round two to all.

28. #29 EFFINFLYERS!! says:
    April 27, 2008 at 1:30 am

Oh, I will be the entertaining jerk, that’s my job (why else would I be posting on your blog…AWESOME!!!!) you will see me after every game. Oh, and more than likely all postseason, being that you have taken a kindness to me. The feeling is mutual. Orange and Black vengeance is fun. Let’s have more fun.

29. #30 EFFINFLYERS!! says:
    April 27, 2008 at 1:31 am

Night night.

30. #31 Fly-Erz-Stink says:
    April 27, 2008 at 1:38 am

OK – Habs outplayed them – faster, more skill – this is a 7 game series. The better team will prevail in the end and this is the Habs. Forget the refs and cheap bounces. Skill wins the day. Habs will prevail. No question here.

31. #32 EFFINFLYERS!! says:
    April 27, 2008 at 1:41 am

Sorry Joseph…I thought you were saying I was the entertainong jerk, that’s what lots of beer during a hockey game could do to you pre-screening of postings on the opposing team’s site. Either way I would love to be the catalyst to your apoxy. Godspeed and goodluck.

32. #33 Benjamin says:
    April 27, 2008 at 1:44 am

It’s amazing how little respect is given to the sick goals some skilled Flyers put in net tonight. Umberger started it up high, and Carter slipped one as high as it can get into a space “the size of a puck” (quoting Price). Don’t throw your goalie under the bus, when you should realize only the best of goalies can do something about shots like that.

That being said, Biron made stops that the best of goalies make. He stopped back to back point blank shots at one point.

And Briere made Price look like a fool on his backhand display. You boo him because you wish he was playing for you, and that’s being quite respectful.

33. #34 EFFINFLYERS!! says:
    April 27, 2008 at 1:50 am

Pierre McGuire sucks almost as much “Panger”. The “King of Mullets”, Barry Melrose is probably the worst. God I hate him.

34. #36 EFFINFLYERS!! says:
    April 27, 2008 at 2:03 am

Bug?

35. I still don’t think that the flyers will push the habs to the limit. Montreal will win game 3,4 and 5. And what the hell is up with coach stevens? Timonen was taunting us, you would have to be a huge coward not to punch him. I would have done it without any resistance. This series wil be a short 4-1 habs.
    But montreal has to start scoring first!

36. This is how it should be: Latendresse in, Dandenault out.

37. #40 rcbhotrod says:
    April 27, 2008 at 9:00 am

latendress should stay out!!!!! dandennault should never lace his skates up again this year !!!!!! give a proven and a much better player back in the line up like ryder oh but he isnt french he is a good old newfie boy that works his a$$ off every night to bad he has to be the exsape goat i guess higgins will be this time since he isnt french also.

38. #41 The Blade says:
    April 27, 2008 at 10:25 am

Stu how could you possibly think you will win both games in Philly? You’ll have a chance at game 4, but game 3 will be ugly. Remember game 3 against Washington? 6-3. Sounds alot closer than it was. We have seven 20 goal scorers. Who else can say that in the league? Oh shit, nobody! Most balanced attack in the game will prevail, and with Biron playing out of his mind in his first playoffs as a 30 year old, you guys are in trouble.

39. I have a good feeling that Montreal will come out strong. Most those philly goals were fluky , but Price I feel, will rebound. It’s been all montreal and Philly should be really pissed off. But Philedelphia has been getting the breaks. Montreal= best road team in the east so take that!!! I have high hopes for our hopes and the habs will win the series 4-1 or 4-2.

40. and for rcbhotrod, Ryder is one of my favorites but I just haven’t seen him with grit and that goes the same with Dandy. Dandenault is a veteran but he isn’t showing anything! Ryder might not be a french but I know he loves the habs just as much as Latendresse. I like Ryder better but there is no time to gamble to see if Ryder comes back. But I say keep O’Byrne out and put streit on D with Lat, and Ryder up front. Most the players on both teams are tired and Those two players will be full of fire!!!!!!

41. #44 rhabs4real says:
    April 27, 2008 at 12:09 pm

If Price plays better, then habs will win, plain and simple. Take away the 2 soft goals in the 1st period, and habs win. I mean Philly can’t be that lucky in more than 1 game. Luck only takes you so far. hoping habs in 6.

42. #45 rcbhotrod says:
    April 27, 2008 at 12:22 pm

stu011 great idea i think they would come out flying in game 3

43. #46 portly says:
    April 27, 2008 at 12:51 pm

Yo Blade…these guys also want to make a lot out of how many shots they took. Lots of shots are a good thing generally, but aside from flashing leather a few times, B-Ron was not having to move much in these two games at the Bell Center, was he? The bulk of shots from The Inhabitants were at his pads or mid-section. Shots like that are like raindrops on a brick wall…no problemO.

We have our work cut out for us, no doubt, but this series is ours to lose, the Habs have issues in net and with heart that will be interesting to watch…No. 1 and No. 2 regular season PP leaders going head-to-head! Our road record was only slightly less stellar than that of Les Canadiens. Clearly, WE are our own worst adversary, not The Inhabitants. Being so young, we could struggle, but we are also a dangerous playoff team with as lot of “jump” that can expose an opponent’s weaknesses. Should be fun to watch.

Lets get FLYERED UP!!

44. #47 Joseph says:
    April 27, 2008 at 1:10 pm

Briere is booed because he shot the puck in to the stands at the end of a regular season game to deny Price a souvenir for his first NHL shutout.

You know what’s funny? The number of fans that embrace their favourite team as if they built it themselves. They didn’t.

Hockey, like all successful professional sports, isn’t at all what is used to be. These players don’t speak for the fans, they speak for themselves… and the companies advertised on the entrance to the arena, the boards and the ice.

Anyway, Flyers fans, you can keep Briere. The last thing that this Habs team needs is another small, skilled player.

45. #48 Joseph says:
    April 27, 2008 at 1:30 pm

portly, the reality of last night’s outcome is that the Habs failed to capitalize on their scoring chances, which speak a lot louder than shots on goal. Forget the shots on goal, the scoring chances were far more lopsided than the shot counts were.

“We’re obviously disappointed with the loss, but we carried that game,” said Montreal goalie Carey Price, who did not have a strong game. “If we could have buried half of our open-net chances we could have won 8-4.”

Missed chances cost Canadiens

As to the Kostopoulos-Timmonen ordeal near the end of the game, Stevens is once again being silly. Timmonen turned arond and taunted him, laughed at him, and then turned away when he saw Kostopolous coming at him.

Don’t turn it in to something that it wasn’t, John.

46. #49 Datara says:
    April 27, 2008 at 2:09 pm

A few comments: (Strictly my opinion, I’m entitled to be wrong)

In no particular order

1) I believe The Habs are in a mini slump, we saw them throughout the year,
    they were short lived and consistency prevailed, better now than in later
    rounds, even in a mini slump Montreal (as I believe showed last night) they
    are more skilled than the Flyers and it will show in the end.
    2) There is a reason that Biron was never given the full time gig in Buffalo
    again in the end I believe it will be apparent why.
    3) Hockey is first and foremost entertainment, the unwritten promise from the
    the management and staff of our team is to provide this, I for one have been
    entertained, along with 21,000 plus (and the thousands left wanting)have
    shown, home game after home game. For a mere $1.99 per month I am able to
    watch every single Habs game of the season (RDS, Starchoice) name me another
    team that allows this without caving to the pressure of PPV.
    4) Cherry is the “Madden” of hockey, mixed with a little Howard Stern.
    He’s both revered and despised, he’s opinionated but honest and his honesty
    is his allure, love him or hate him (and I’ve done both)he speaks his mind
    with total disregard for political tact.
    5) Pierre McGuire IMO is one of the most unbiassed analysts going, it’s easy
    to be an armchair coach, but I think he is the most well versed of the
    bunch.
    Last} Like it or not, hockey is also a business, every home game played in the
    spring is revenue gained towards spending for the future.
    The boys are playing in May!!! Be proud, and appreciative,see comment 3
    as to why it’s great not to be a Canucks, Hawks, Canes (add teams here)
    fan.

47. #50 OLE....OLE.....OLE says:
    April 27, 2008 at 2:56 pm

Cheers Bitches……Lets go Flyers!!!!!!! Your team is not that good, did you all have fun watchin my Flyers out work you tonight. Keep telling yourselves your going to win the series 4-1, it never gonna happen!!!! My boys have way more heart then any of your “Habs”, its also obvious that Price doesn’t like our constant pressure near the goal…..sorry to tell him it will get much better when he come to Philly!!!!!