Habs / Flyers: Game 3

• Is game 3 the game the Canadiens finally show up?

The game where Carey Price returns to form?

Where the Habs perhaps not fall behind 2-0 on weak goals for the third time?

Will there be fallout from the ‘taunting’, ‘sucker punch’ and John Stevens perpetual whining?

The Canadiens will be trailing in a series for the first time if they don’t come up with a road win tonight.

All the ingredients for this series to finally heat up are there.

1. #1 habsfansrsoft says:
    April 29, 2008 at 3:41 pm

My mistake 6 min of power play, n they gave Downie a rough for gettin pounded by 2 canadiens

2. #2 NShabfan says:
    April 29, 2008 at 3:47 pm

Yes,I did see it-you can slew foot with a stick as well,”friend”,and you dont have to be pushed very hard in the back of the skate to go down-have you ever been on skates before??

3. #3 NShabfan says:
    April 29, 2008 at 3:50 pm

I would hardly call that “pounded”,cheap shot Downie looked fine to me.Nobody gets pounded much anymore-no more instigator rule-so weasels like Downie,Avery etc. now flourish in this league.

4. #4 habsfansrsoft says:
    April 29, 2008 at 3:57 pm

Well if the goalie is gonna play the puck behind the net, a little tap like that shouldn’t be a penalty. N i have been on skates before Vapor 8′s still holding up after 7 years better than those Graf’s the Canadiens love, only lasted me 2 years.

5. #5 Joseph says:
    April 29, 2008 at 4:18 pm

To 147

The only reason Montreal had more scoring chances because they were on the power play for the whole of the 3rd period. They might have a chance at beating the Flyers if they get a Power Play for all 3 periods.

When the powerplays expired, the Habs continued to carry the play to the Flyers… for longish periods of time. Further, Game 2 was played in the Flyers end more than it was in any other zone, and that had noting to do with the Flyers being shorthanded.

The was I see it, the Flyers have no defense at all. This is no secret – it’s been discussed all season. They can score goals but they can also allow them just as easily, hence the lower seeding. In addition, Biron has never proved himself a go-to goaltender in his career. And while he has risen to the challenge the past two games, he still has a long way to go before he makes a case himself. On that note, the Habs haven’t dome a whole lot to finish their chances on him, so who knows what could have been.

As I said though, either of these teams, the way that they’ve playing, will be embarrassed by Pittsburgh in the ECF. Malkin, Crosby, Sykora, Malone Gonchar… they won’t miss their chances nearly as much. They’ll make either Price or Biron look ordinary.

6. #6 Joseph says:
    April 29, 2008 at 4:21 pm

My apologies for all the typos…

7. #7 Glenn says:
    April 29, 2008 at 4:37 pm

Lets Go Flyers..it has to be scary that we played our C game and still won.

8. To 157

I’m with you on that one 100%

9. It’s wierd, TSN says Carbonneau hasn’t made up his mind yet, but NHL.COM Says Price is playing? WTF?!

10. #10 Joseph says:
    April 29, 2008 at 5:53 pm

I’ve watched the Flyers play in both the regular season and playoffs, and as far as I can tell, all they’ve got is a C game. That in itself should be scary enough for Flyers fans. And on that note, the Habs haven’t impressed much as of late.

On another note, the support of Steve Downie amuses me. Is this the same Steve Downie of Team Canada who feigned death after the phantom elbow thrown by Jack Johnson of Team USA in the Vancouver World Juniors? I believe so.

How short and selective fans’ memories are. Downie’s a shit disturber. Always has been.

11. #11 Joseph says:
    April 29, 2008 at 5:54 pm

If the Habs converted half of their scoring chances, it wouldn’t matter who started in goal.

12. #12 hockeyGuyg5 says:
    April 29, 2008 at 6:21 pm

to post 135…this is a hockey blog. H-O-C-K-E-Y….don’t get on with all this USA protecting Canada stuff. For one, this isn’t the place, and second, you don’t know what you’re talking about. Stop being a mouth piece – go overseas and get the real facts.

If you’ve got any hockey comments then lets hear them…otherwise respect the blog rules and please leave. Hockey or nothing…

13. #13 hockeyGuyg5 says:
    April 29, 2008 at 6:24 pm

Carbo is a stubborn egotistical moron. Too bad he’ll be the reason the habs lose this series…

14. #14 future habs fan says:
    April 29, 2008 at 6:30 pm

agreed hockeyGuyg5
    you tell those philly fanatics to stick on their side of the soil!

15. #15 DieHard Habs Fan says:
    April 29, 2008 at 6:32 pm

Today I got an inside tip.

The Flyers have won their last game…… Let me repeat it for the not so smart Flyer fans that have invaded our blog … THE FLYERS HAVE WON THEIR LAST GAME.

When the Flyers lose the final game of their season in their own rink, see how long it takes for them to scatter like the Dirty Rats they are!!!!!!!!!

16. #16 habsfansrsoft says:
    April 29, 2008 at 6:40 pm

Die hard Habs,
    You may be right, n u know what i’ll say, flyers should have been up 3-0, n virtually impossible for the habs to come bak, but the refs gift rapped game one, tried to gift rap game 3, n if u win another im sure that will be gift rapped too, so no matter wat happens from this game on, habs u havn’t earned nothing, it was all given to u as a gift form the NHL. N if your satisfied with winning like that, then you have no heart.

17. #17 NShabfan says:
    April 29, 2008 at 6:40 pm

Series aint over yet…2004 we were down to a much superior Bruins team and we all know what happened there…

18. #18 NShabfan says:
    April 29, 2008 at 6:52 pm

I still think Streit should be shelved for the next game-hes just way to soft and the Philly crowd probably has him spooked as much as the philly player who is about to obliterate him into the boards.Hes been fumbling the puck on the power play steady as well-we need alittle more grit up front-Ryder can be good in the corners(when he wants to be) and this break may be the motivation he needs-like Latendresse last night.I wouldnt mind seeing the kid Stewart or Chipchura inserted either in place of one of the Kostitsyns-though their pattern of play so far dictates they are due for their “good game”.Markov -I was never a big fan-too erratic-played well for about 50 games in the middle of the season then at the end started to play like an idiot(giveaways,attempting impossible passes,soft in his own end)and it has carrried into the playoffs.Wish O’Byrne was more physical-needs some weight room time in the offseason as well.Kovalev-sorry AK27 fans but he can be so much better and doesnt seem to want to be yet(I know hes got 9 pts and the game tier in gm 1 yada yada but watch him skating without the puck and youll see hes not giving 100%)-I wouldnt resign him-spend that money elsewhere and be happy you got 1 decent season out ofhim.

19. #19 future habs fan says:
    April 29, 2008 at 6:53 pm

I was listening to a Montreal sports station and this is what Hatcher said:
    ” If I knew I was going to get 5 minutes for boarding, I would have finished the job”! he should be suspended for those remarks. now he shows us what we already know, that he’s a bully , a piece of crap he is, and one of the dirtyiest players in the league. no wonder the rest of the league hates that team! watch all the suspensions they get next year.

20. #20 Jack Hab says:
    April 29, 2008 at 7:47 pm

Unfortunately some Philly fan took my name. That’s too bad, but admittedly I’ve not been writing in too much lately.

Anyway, I’m not going to comment about the games for now since the Habs WILL come back, no question.

However, I need to share the following cesspit comments from Phlier-land… talk about sore winners (watch out when they lose the series) … I cannot believe this:

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, Yahoo Sports ran an article that says over 40% of Canadians consider the Habs to be canada’s team (vs. about 20% for the Laffs). Take that, CBC!!!

21. #21 habsfansrsoft says:
    April 29, 2008 at 8:57 pm

Jack Hab,
    U can’t believe this? what do u live in a box? or did u not watch the first three games? wat exactly can u not believe in this article? cuz it’s pretty much dead on.

22. #22 future habs fan says:
    April 29, 2008 at 9:12 pm

Rangers losing to Pitt tonight 5-3. If they , that series is done. Can’t believe Pitt going htru 2 series without losing a game. Wow! Are they in a zone!

23. #23 future habs fan says:
    April 29, 2008 at 9:28 pm

I sent an email to that piece of crap in Philly: donnels@phillynews.com
    told him what I think of that garbage he wrote!

24. #24 Jack Hab says:
    April 29, 2008 at 10:18 pm

I guess habsfansrsoft learned to spell in Filly (or is that a female horse?). Whatever! Habs will win the series!!!!
    Price should play tomorrow night.

25. #25 NShabfan says:
    April 29, 2008 at 10:33 pm

Hatcher has always been a dirty ,tough to play against defenseman,like Pronger and I sure wish we had one or 2 like him.Komo s ok but not near as mean.

26. #26 NShabfan says:
    April 29, 2008 at 10:33 pm

Be alot better than flakes like Markov ,Streit or Brisebois.

27. #27 portly says:
    April 29, 2008 at 10:53 pm

Someone check my math for me, but the last time i looked, we split the ’08 season series with the Pens 4-4…is that right? i KNOW we won the first 4 in a row off them this year…

But of course, there’s this pesky little problem we have from the Great White North, ehh? However, 41 penalties againsty the Good Guys in this series to 18 for The Inhabitants. Kinda weird. Not complaining exactly, just sayin…

We wait ALL YEAR for playoff hockey! Thank GOD none of us are hockey fans living in Chicago or Tampa or Toronto (heh) or even (shudder) Boston!!

Go FlyBOYS!!!

28. #28 NShabfan says:
    April 29, 2008 at 11:13 pm

Habs went 8-0 against Boston in the regular season and we all saw what happened in that series!Regular season means nothing-only home ice advantage-which we have squandered.flyers were a highly penalized team in regular season so it stands to reason that wont change in playoffs if they continue to dress guys like Downie-who is being targetted by the refs anyway,was all year after he returned.They are a slower team,for the most part as well-alot of hooks holds,interference calls go against them.I dont blame them-they have to turn the game ugly to beat us-nearly worked for Boston in rnd 1.They have outworked the softer forwards on the habs and I give them credit for being up 2-1.Alot of flyers posting here mention the penalties-habs fans mention the goalposts and near misses-on it goes-game 4 looming large now.

29. #29 habs4life says:
    April 29, 2008 at 11:44 pm

If you are religious,
    If you believe fortune telling,
    If you believe Feng Sui,
    If you are superstitious,
    If you believe whatever it says something,

You can just put your faith on Carey Price!!!

30. #30 portly says:
    April 30, 2008 at 9:31 am

It’s GAME DAY, mes amis…and it should be a GREAT one, at least, let’s hope so! Good luck to both squads and may the best team win.

With that, i’ll leave you (til later) with the immortal words from the great Monty Python film “The Holy Grail”:

“J’agite mes parties privees dan votre direction generale!!”

31. Let me make a suggestion ,since we have so many flyers fans aboard and since I know we’re going to win the series ‘HABS”,what does everyone say to humalation a la Kenny vs Spenny style to the loser of every game till series end,eh?The losers must place the humiliation on youtube,come on back your action!

32. #32 DieHard Habs Fan says:
    April 30, 2008 at 11:32 am

I’m In…………..

33. #33 duckdoc says:
    April 30, 2008 at 11:49 am

I got a new strategy for a CH victory,whoever has the puck on the way to net, shoot instead of passing. Let the linemates move in for rebounds. And on breakaways, shoot high and slap it instead of wristing. If you don’t score, at least you may ring Biron’ bell.
    Montreal 4 – Flyers 1. Les Canadiens sont la!

As far as politics,
    GO CANADA GO!
    GOS BLESS THE USA!

34. #34 duckdoc says:
    April 30, 2008 at 11:52 am

Sorry about the typo………….guess I feel so pumped I hit the wrong key:

GOD BLESS THE USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35. #35 DieHard Habs Fan says:
    April 30, 2008 at 12:03 pm

They need it.

36. #36 Joseph says:
    April 30, 2008 at 12:05 pm

177 portly

Someone check my math for me, but the last time i looked, we split the ‘08 season series with the Pens 4-4…is that right? i KNOW we won the first 4 in a row off them this year…

Ahh, beware the regular season records, portly. The Habs went 8-0 against Boston and 4-0 against the Flyers in the regular season. Thus, the regular season means absolutely nothing at all this time of year. Meanwhile, the Penguins have taken their game to a whole new level this post-season, and as much as it pains me to admit it, they will represent the East.

Anyway, your mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries.

37. #37 Joseph says:
    April 30, 2008 at 12:07 pm

I cannot believe that I am reading Markov bashing. He’s hurt.

38. #38 habs4life says:
    April 30, 2008 at 12:39 pm

Flyers fans, I have a serious question to you guys.

Why do you come to Habs blog other than your own fan blog?

Please answer seriously to the serious question.

39. #39 DieHard Habs Fan says:
    April 30, 2008 at 12:42 pm

Now Kids. Play Nice……………..

40. #40 Joseph says:
    April 30, 2008 at 1:02 pm

My take on visiting hockey fans:

Some come to offer productive dialogue, some to engage in some harmless razzing, and others come as shit disturbers because they’re anti-social misfits with a lot of anger.

As for the latter, I would guess that they would have better manners in a face-to-face situation. The internet has provided them a medium in which they can hide behind aliases, safe from repercussions of any kind. It’s easy to talk tough in the virtual universe.

41. #41 future habs fan says:
    April 30, 2008 at 1:02 pm

S. Lostistyn not 100%, game time decision. Ryder could take his place tonight, and Breezer will play instead of O’Byrne(big mistake).

42. #42 future habs fan says:
    April 30, 2008 at 1:04 pm

I think McGuire thinks playing Breezer is mistake, because their friendship is the only reason he’s playing. Carbo’s decisions are totally out of whack.

43. #43 DieHard Habs Fan says:
    April 30, 2008 at 1:08 pm

Montreal Fans should be very careful what they wish for!

They wished to play Boston. Look what happened!

They wished to play Philly. Now look what happening!

44. #44 NShabfan says:
    April 30, 2008 at 1:36 pm

Playing Brisebois is a huge Mistake-grrrrooooooaannnn-Markov was playing like an idiot before he got “hurt”.I agree with Maguire ,which is rare(sucks up to the league too much,agrees with alot of the ridiculously soft calls).

45. #45 portly says:
    April 30, 2008 at 2:00 pm

DieHard, after mucking around in the pits of Philly-style sports repartie, coming in here and mixin’ it up witchu Red Green types is a welcome break. Since the Pens seem ready to dispatch the hated Rangers, we will (should we be fortunate enough to prevail) also enjoy an intra-state Pennsylvania style gabfest with our Flightless Bird adversaries. Come join the fun if you dare.

Joseph! Mon Dieu…you KNOW my mother??! Hmmm, that explains why she favors hose with those little clippy things on them…and, my friend, her furry little redeye awaits your intimate musings.

Have at it! May Lord Biron of Lac St. Charles (and lifelong Nords fan) evoke the Ghost of Terry Sawchuck tonight and dash the Habs on the rocks of a 3-1 series lead!!

46. #46 habs4life says:
    April 30, 2008 at 2:03 pm

191 future habs fan

I held the same opinion to Breezer until the past couple of days. Now I am getting OK to keep Breezer on ice. For the past couple of games, whenever Breezer was on ice Habs won, whenever his was out Habs lost. That’s a little bit superstitious.

Let me give you the scientific stats. Breezer is the only 5 points defenseman in Habs roster. If he can add another ASSIST tonight, it’s worth to try him.

Season GP G A P
    2007-2008 8 1 4 5

47. #47 NShabfan says:
    April 30, 2008 at 2:22 pm

Mark Streit had more points than Chara,Pronger,Jovanovski this year-by your “science” I guess hes a better defenseman than them?!Brisebois was on the ice for both first period goals in game 1-tipped one into his own net because hes too slow to keep up and provided a nice screen on the second-didnt play much after that-thank god.

48. #48 habs4life says:
    April 30, 2008 at 2:28 pm

195 NShabfan, can we call Carbo ordering him to kill Brisebois? If not, try to be postive. (I even wanted to kill him when he did the job as 6th flyer)

49. #49 NShabfan says:
    April 30, 2008 at 2:35 pm

Hey man believe me Im trying-GOO habbs!!

50. #50 The Blade says:
    April 30, 2008 at 2:55 pm

To let you know why myself, a Flyers fan, comes here to post, it’s really simple. I go to our opponents’ blogs in every round to let you know why you will lose. I enjoy watching us win and then coming in here to rub it in your french canadian pussy-faces. I get off on it if you must know. First round it was the Caps fans. They were funny because they have a really dumb fanbase, most of which did not exist for the better part of this season. You guys have a fanbase, but you are sissies. series goes to 3-1 tonight boys.