Habs / Flyers: Game 4

• The Canadiens trail a playoff series for the first time this year. Down 2-1 for game 4 tonight in Philly.

Despite out shooting the Flyers by 20 shots the Canadiens dropped game 3. The powerplay clicked in the end, but was horrendous in the beginning when it was needed. Combined with some bad bounces, unlucky posts and bad goaltending, the Canadiens played catch up down 2-0 for the third straight game.

Guy Carbonneau is playing a few headgames by keeping his starting goalie a ‘secret’ until game time.

Expect Carey Price to return to the lineup and redeem his poor effort on Monday night.

Other than Martin Biron and their penalty killing unit, the Flyers have not overly impressed in any way. The Canadiens have defeated themselves.

Should the Habs start executing – manage to score first, have decent goaltending and have an average or better powerplay – they should not have any problem getting back into the series.

1. #1 EFFINFLYERS!! says:
    April 30, 2008 at 10:52 pm

This series is nowhere near over. Havlak(or whatever his name is…i think) actually looked good, although he faced minimal shots tonight. Biron on the other hand, still playing out of his head. There may be no stopping him. He might possibly be one of those playoff performers.

2. #2 Joseph says:
    April 30, 2008 at 10:54 pm

Now that I think of it, Biron came in for an injured Hasek in Buffalo and stoned the Leafs in the playoffs several years ago.

3. #3 EFFINFLYERS!! says:
    April 30, 2008 at 10:54 pm

I know Joseph, I appologized about that. Sorry man, I read it wrong that night. Too many beers.

4. #4 Joseph says:
    April 30, 2008 at 10:56 pm

No worries.

Now, that cheesy comedy…

5. 144 EFFINFLYERS!!
    Posted on April 30th, 2008 at 10:44 pm. About ‘Habs / Flyers: Game 4′.

Paul

History means nothing in this seies so far. If you want to use stats as a fallback, look no further than the recent season. If you like, look even further back…the Habs lead the all-time playoff series according to playoff history. But stranger things have happened, the Flyer look to be on a mission this year. GO EFFIN’ FLYERS!!

If you read my comment Effin, you`ll see that I`m in fact not using the stats as a fallback to buttrest my point. I said DESPITE the stats, I was predicting the Canadiens to win in 7, and I`m a Flyers fan!

Also, the stat you made about the Habs being the all-time playoff series leaders is missleading as well, as the Montreal Canadiens for years, used to be awarded the 1st pick of the best French Canadien player in the draft each year. They haven`t had that for years though so this changes the impact of that stat.

6. #6 DieHard Habs Fan says:
    April 30, 2008 at 11:10 pm

For those of you who think there will be a 7th game, you are truly Retarded!

7. #7 Senet 1 says:
    April 30, 2008 at 11:14 pm

132 FLYERSFAN: Oh buy the way when was the last time Philly won the cup???????????? Lets see was it 86 NO, was it 93 NO! HMMMMMMMMMMM 1975 I think!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you have a good team, is it better than ours no, can it win this series Yes, can it loose this series yes, Will it win the Cup in 2008 No!!

So don’t give me all this bull about heart and loser and all that stuff, but there is no relevance to you argument. The only difference between you winning this series and us is so far you have got the bounces and we have not, your team has earned some of those bounces and I would say that our team has earned some too but has not got as many as your team. As a habs fan I hope that turns around in game 5,6, and 7 and I expect that you hope it does not.

8. #8 Senet 1 says:
    April 30, 2008 at 11:20 pm

156 DieHard Habs Fan
    Posted on April 30th, 2008 at 11:10 pm. About ‘Habs / Flyers: Game 4′.

For those of you who think there will be a 7th game, you are truly Retarded!

AND IF YOU DON’T THEN YOU SHOULD LOOK FOR A NEW TEAM TO CHEER FOR BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT TRUELY A HABS FAN. A TRUE HABS FANS WOULD NEVER GIVE UP ON THEIR TEAM UNTIL THEY HAVE PLAYED THEIR LAST GAME. I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT A TRUE HABS FAN WOULD RIGHT THEIR TEAM OFF SO EASILY, OH AND I AM NOT RETARDED I AM JUST A FAN OF A HOCKET TEAM THAT HAVE LEARNED OVER THE YEARS THAT IT IS NEVE OVER UNTIL IT IS OVER AND I WILL CHEER FOR MY TEAM UNTIL THEIR LAST GAME WHETHER THAT IS IN THE STANLEY CUP FINAL OR IN THIS SERIES. SORRY THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE THAT SAME COMPLETITVE DESIRE AND MOST ATHELETES HAVE.

9. #9 EFFINFLYERS!! says:
    April 30, 2008 at 11:20 pm

Paul

Sorry man, yet again too many playoff beers, slowly I’m becoming that playoff alkie. DAMMIT!!! Beer ot not, I still don’t believe that a game seven is looming. Lady luck seems to have laid down with the Flyers. It’s just a matter of discipline now, and Biron!!!

10. #10 EFFINFLYERS!! says:
    April 30, 2008 at 11:25 pm

Oh, by the way…sorry for missing last game, I was incredibly tired. Barely watched the game, I enjoy blogging with you guys. Like I said, I will continue leaving my smelly American mark after this series is over.

11. #11 EFFINFLYERS!! says:
    April 30, 2008 at 11:30 pm

I relish speaking with others who actually know hockey. I’m in a bit of a craphole in New Jersey right now (born ad raised in philly!!) with no real hockey fans. I’m trying to convert people, but it’s pretty hard.

12. #12 EFFINFLYERS!! says:
    April 30, 2008 at 11:36 pm

There are some Flyers fans down here, but not like me…they don’t know the game like I do. Most of them are Devils fans that think that the Devils are a Jersey team…Idiots. Everyone knows that they are a New York team, they just see a team that won the cup multiple times in the past ten years and think there’s a dog-gone winner down here y’all!! God I hate Jersey!!!

13. #13 habsfansrsoft says:
    May 1, 2008 at 12:35 am

Shoulda been a sweep! Who’s the guy that posted canadiens will win 7-0 in this game, and who’s the other idiot who said flyers will loose the series at home, n whose the guy who said Price shouldn’t start? Take a fork and eat those words up. Who would have thought Bill Mcreary( who any Flyer fan will tell u the guy will do anything to make sure the Flyers loose) would be the only ref to give the Flyers a fair shot. When i saw him come out before the game i was almost sure we’d be in the box the whole game. N I’ll admit the canadiens dominated most of that game, maybe Price would have been a difference maker in this one, but i would have to say the only reason they dominated is because the Flyers were not playing physical for fear of being thrown in the box. N against the speed of canadiens the only way to win is being physical, or have Biron in net. N it’s just ridiculous how the NHL try’s to take the Flyers out of there game, which is punish anyone who crosses your path. I mean Hatcher was actually trying not to hit people becuase he know’s hes a marked man. But it ain’t over so don’t go crying yet. I wouldn’t be surprised to c this one go 7 n Flyers win it in Montreal cuz the Fly guys now how to overcome adversity.

14. #14 duckdoc says:
    May 1, 2008 at 12:47 am

Yo, Benjamin, I am referring to a post you put up a while back. You said the Pens LET the Flyers win because they did not want to play them in Round 1.
    The way things are unfolding in this series, that was a sharp pickup on your part.
    Everybody is crapping on Carbo, which I think is ridiculous.
    However, the unsung hero for the Flyers is the coach (sorry but I don’t even know the dude’s name). Class guy, especially when given a chance to get negative on the Habs during interviews, he plays it low key.
    The way the Flyers are getting’er done,he must be one heck of a communicator.
    Not only is he good for the Flyers and the Philly community, but he’s good for the game. Many Kudos!!!!!!!!

15. #15 haBBSSS says:
    May 1, 2008 at 12:54 am

boys any one going to the game sat nite should start chanting birons name every chance u get, get into his head, throw him off his game

16. #16 The Blade says:
    May 1, 2008 at 4:41 am

Biron’s head is wrapped in a cocoon of awesomeness. Series ends Saturday. Begin the countdown.

17. It’s not over yet. Maybe luck can start coming montreal’s way now. Philedelphia almost let the caps come back.

18. Montreal will win on saturday but I can’t see them winning in Philly.

19. #19 Frog says:
    May 1, 2008 at 6:38 am

Mark this post, (Time and date) This series is not over. In Fact Montreal is going to take it. As I have stated before Philly teams just do not win at anything!

20. If Montreal loses this series it’s going to suck knowing they were the better team, I rather have montreal playing like crap, that way I can say they’re doing bad. What do I say know? MONTREAL IS AMAZING, Then my friends willlaugh and say that’s why they’re loosing 3-1, which is not deserved. Biron has been good and goaltending is the most important thing in the playoffs and when u lose that u cant win. And it’s just about goaltending, 2 goals is not enough! The forwards have to stop hitting the post and just aim alittle closer to the open net.(lol) Philly plays like shit but at least their capitalizing on their fluky wrist shots from the point. Montreal gets luck in the third when It’s all done.

21. If montreal does come back, don’t worry philly fans I won’t bash u guys because I don’t have any anger problems. I know how it feels to have ur fav team beaten out in the second round.(MTL-tampa 2004)

22. #22 NShabfan says:
    May 1, 2008 at 7:13 am

This series is eerily similar to the Montreal/Buffalo series in 1998-Montreal badly outshot the Sabres in 4 games(174-101) and were swept!!Hasek was unbelievable.Biron is playing well,especially positioning.Halak-pretty average I thought-nice save on the 1st period breakaway but terrible on goal 1-not tracking the puck well on 2 and 3.Defense still backing in-check out the”backcheck” by Latendresse and Smolinski on the 2nd goal-BRUTAL!!Thats the difference in the series(besides the goaltending)-Flyers forwards are digging just a bit harder and winning the races to loose pucks-as Ive said before-give me north american players over euros in the playoffs any day.Price will be back in Sat.-bank on it.Carbo and the gang need to show some video to these guys about all the good things that happen when you GO TO THE NET!Both goals were the result of someone in front.DUMB,DUMB penalty by Begin-good call I thought,ref had no choice-you cant hit a guy like that anymore and the timimg was terrible.Did the game winner remind you guys of Kessels ppg in game 5 of the Boston series?Komisarek blocks shot while screening his goalie and forward snaps in rebound-Briere in last nights case.Kovalev-average again-made some fancy moves but didnt generate many scoring chances.Breezer played well(for him)-his holding penalty in 2nd was typical of him-no upper body strength.BENCH that f—ing Streit-when are they going to wake up??Wsate of a roster spot putting that idiot in-gave up another shorthanded breakaway in the 1st-how many did Boston get when he was on the pp point?I still think this series can change but they gotta find another gear

23. #23 NShabfan says:
    May 1, 2008 at 7:21 am

STUO -dude this is the 2nd round.

24. #24 Tony from NB says:
    May 1, 2008 at 7:42 am

Habs Fans…quick question:

Why did Halak start??? I just don’t understand it. Sure, it’s certainly not all on him last night, but I believe this has done more damage to the team psyche, not to mention to what Price muct be thinking.

You want to point fingers…two “men” that should know better:

1. Gainey for placing way to much presure on the kid, and trading the veteran for a bag of pucks.
    2. Carbo…for what he said to the media before the game about Price’s confidence.

Note: Any fan of a philly based teams has series complex issues…ask any other fan from any other sport in NA…philly fans are absolute crude, lunatics…just think Hextal with his tongue sticking out…there you, that’s a Philly fan.

Tony (really wish the habs play the pens in the next round)

25. #25 rcbhotrod says:
    May 1, 2008 at 8:04 am

Hey Carbo put Ryder back in at least you have someone to blame if we lose the next one fn a$$.Ryder kick a$$ next year with your new team Go HABS GO but still not out of it yet.

26. #26 DieHard Habs Fan says:
    May 1, 2008 at 8:24 am

#160 Senet 1:

Talk about me giving up on my team. There are few players I can name that have already given up and what country they are from. I guess they want to go back to the Mother land to start their vacation. They can’t have to many bruses you know. Bruses don’t look good in a tank top and shorts…….

27. #27 RAY SAM says:
    May 1, 2008 at 8:40 am

broad street bullies are back montreal going down

28. #28 RAY SAM says:
    May 1, 2008 at 8:45 am

stanley cup stays on u.s. soil again nice ha ha ha ha ha

29. #29 Jack says:
    May 1, 2008 at 9:04 am

Morning Hab Fans,

I’m not here to rub in your loss and my predictions on my previous written blogs, just here to mearly state my dissappointment in how all the Hab fans have given up on and abandon their team with all their comments written following their loss. Even though I’m not part of your fan base(I bleed orange and black)…the series is not even over yet and you guys are talking how the Pens will perish in the next round with the Flyers. As a fan you should always stick with your team through thick or thin even after they but a fork in them…maybe you guys should take lessons from some Leaf fans!…my condolences.

30. #30 jrs1t says:
    May 1, 2008 at 9:13 am

I’m a Flyers fan and have been reading over the postings and their corresponding comments on here throughout the course of the series (just as I did with Japers Rink for the Flyers-Caps series). As someone mentioned earlier, I like to get the opposing team’s fan’s reaction and perspective on the play of both teams throughout the series. At no point have I left a comment though simply because I know the opposing team’s fans DON’T CARE what I think, just like I don’t care what they think of the Flyers (or Phillies, or Eagles, or Sixers). That being said, the moronic Flyers fans on here need to shut the hell up. Montreal beat the hell out of us this season, and, if not for the play of Biron, they’d be doing it again this series. Also, we’ve seen that we’re fully capable of blowing in-game leads and series’ leads during the course of the playoffs, so you might want to keep it quiet until we actually win the series. To those of you who aren’t familiar with Philly fans, the people here running their mouths and the idiots who the media love to point out (for throwing batteries, starting fights, etc. are GREATLY in the minority). Unfortunately, one or two people can ruin it for everyone and Philadelphia gets a bad rap because of these people. We’re always going to be emotional/fanatical about our teams, but some take it a bit too far (just like any city). Sorry for the rant, but it had to be said. Carry on.

31. #31 marklovesthehabs says:
    May 1, 2008 at 10:39 am

The better team DOES NOT always win a series. Do you remember when Jose Theodore was making 40 saves a game and Montreal was being outshot 45-18 by the Bruins a few years ago. Montreal won that series. Biron is doing the same now.
    The breaks are not gonig our way. I would have played Price last night
    but he will be well rested for the next 3 games(hopefully it goes that far).
    Habs have two days off and I like the fact that games 5 and 6 will be back-to-back. Look at Begin’s stats at http://www.hockeydb.com-he never had 30 points in a season anytime during his career. Cementhead.
    Get Ryder in the line-up.

32. #32 JohnS says:
    May 1, 2008 at 10:40 am

Habs are probably going to lose this series but I will still be watching Saturday as anything can happen.

Win or lose though I am proud of this team and they have given us a lot of thrills and entertainment over the course of the season.

They are a young team and they will only get better although hopefully Gainey will take some steps to address the weaknesses that have become apparent in the playoffs this year.

33. #33 DieHard Habs Fan says:
    May 1, 2008 at 11:22 am

There you go this guy knows what he is talking about and what I have said many a time:

“We have already seen Carbonneau crush the confidence of Carey Price early in the calendar year. Price had done a good job carrying the load while Huet was out with an injury. Upon Huet’s return, Price promptly found himself on the bench for about a dozen straight games. Then Carbo tossed Price into a game with a win or be demoted ultimatum. We all know that Price then found himself in Hamilton for a period of time.

Bob Gainey had to intervene twice this year to right his goaltending situation after Carbonneau’s mishandling. Perhaps, the third time Gainey has to step in, it will be to remove the biggest ego from the dressing room”.

34. #34 duckdoc says:
    May 1, 2008 at 11:29 am

John S,
    “hopefully Gainey will take some steps…………….”.
    When he took over, the CH were floundering. After some much needed housecleaning he started putting his stamp on things. Look how far they’ve come so far.
    Don’t you think finishing first in the East means something? Gainey works like an architect, building level by level until he completes it with the penthouse.
    Look at all the young guns that have come up from our farm system. They all have the “Gainey-Carbo” work ethic. I think this team has achieved a whole lot more anybody would have imagined.What Bob is putting together is a TEAM. It would be nice to have a couple of “finishers”, but when they come you can bet they’ll not be just “one way” guys. Defense and backchecking is what brought the Cup to Montreal and you can go all the way back to the 56-60 teams.
    For example,if you watch some old clips you’ll see Beliveau catching opposition players on breakaways before they even hit out blueline.
    If Gainey is allowed to make his moves without interference, Montreal will once again become home to a dynasty.
    In all fairness to this group,we gotta give them at least 2 more years for serious Cup consideration.

35. #35 JohnS says:
    May 1, 2008 at 11:54 am

Hey Duckdoc dont get me wrong I am thrilled with what Gainey has achieved up to this point but we do have some weaknesses to address.

I fully expect Gainey will address them and hopefully with the success of the team this year we will be able to land some decent free agents in the off season.

I agree that serious cup contention is probably a couple of years away but I am not giving up on this series until the habs loss that fourth game.

36. #36 groundworking says:
    May 1, 2008 at 11:57 am

Good morning Jack. Our expectations are higher. That’s why ownership in Montreal, unlike Toronto, does not have a free-hand to run things like a bunch of clowns.

We all still love the Habs, but we still call it like we see it. That’s also why RDS is the best hockey coverage in the world, if you can understand French. They are Habs fans to be sure, but their coverage is objective and balanced.

We’re having goaltending, difficulties. Not a big deal. We don’t make excuses. The goalie is a part of the team. Our #1 is 20 years old, our #2 makes me cringe every time he touches the puck. That said, the team is being built around youth rather than high priced antiques (Toronto).

If the Flyers win this series, it won’t be the first time in NHL history that a goalie stole a series for his team. Biron is playing like a first-rate NHL goalie, stopping 95% of the shots. Our goalies, on the other hand, are playing like young rookies (stopping less than 90% of the shots). That’s the difference so far.

37. #37 Jack says:
    May 1, 2008 at 12:25 pm

To 184 groundworking,

If you read my Blog(178) more closely, where I’m refering to the Leafs, I’m refering to the “Leaf fans” not the Leaf organization(Management, ownership, etc.). When I stated “you guys should take some lessons from the Leaf fans”, I’m refering to their loyalty to their team considering their Stanley Cup drought(known to be the most commited fans-Air Canada Centre is sold out for every game even though they are the priciest tickets in the NHL)…so I’m not comparing the two teams, I’m refering to their fans…I could have used NY Rangers as an example. All I’m stating is Hab fans should never give up and bad mouth their team when they loosing or in a rut(refer to the blogs following last nights Habs loss).I’m a Philly fan lose or win…the later in this case…Go Flyers Go!

38. #38 Stanley says:
    May 1, 2008 at 1:28 pm

The Canadiens are going to win the series. This is the Cinderella team. Now is the time to bet on the Canadiens. Down 3 games to 1 means nothing.

39. #39 DieHard Habs Fan says:
    May 1, 2008 at 1:46 pm

I don’t hold a grudge against the Flyer Fans in here. Their team is beating our team. Habs Fans would do the same exact thing if they could find a Flyers blog like this one.

Montreal Fans should be the last ones to talk about the crap that comes out of the Flyers Fans pie holes. cause the Habs Fans are the same.

I call a spade a spade!

No matter how the Habs Fans look at it Philly is the better team cause they make the best ot their scoring chances & they are ahead 3 games to 1.

40. #40 DieHard Habs Fan says:
    May 1, 2008 at 2:05 pm

Stanley:

I will bet my House that the Canadiens will NOT win this series……..

41. #41 The Blade says:
    May 1, 2008 at 2:16 pm

Someone please explain to me how Montreal is the Cinderella team? Are you on crack? Clearly the lowest seed still left playing well is traditionally the cinderella team. Not the top seed of a conference, dingleberries.

42. DieHard Habs fan: your going to lose your house lol. I have faith in my team because luck will turn the other way. No other team in the nNHL could be philly in this series because of how much luck they have. Pittsburgh would average 50 shots on net and would hit 5 posts as the flyers would sweep. Don’t lose hope. Only 2 wins in a row to get a tie. and theres no way philly would win game 7.

43. #43 DieHard Habs Fan says:
    May 1, 2008 at 3:06 pm

Blade:

They are talking about how all the Hockey Experts pegged them to finish 13th in their divison. They have come a long way proving the Experts wrong.

44. It won’t take montreal 2-3 years. Next year is the year. I said 2009 back in 2002 and I’m still sticking with it. 1909-2009 100 years of the habs and they’ll do it next season. Price won’t be a rookie and there u go. If we had goaltending it would be 4-0 for montreal. Next year they will. The habs are last years Penguins, except better and next year montreal will be better then this years penguins.

45. #45 DieHard Habs Fan says:
    May 1, 2008 at 3:12 pm

STUO11:

If I do lose my house. Can I come live with you?

I have lost all RESPECT for Carbonneu. All my negative comments are direct towards Carbo. That’s why I am so mad and it sounds like I hate the whole team. But I don’t hate the team, just the Coach.

It was because of Trembley we lost Roy and it will be Carbo’s fault that we will lose a lot more……

46. yeah and they also had the 5-0 comeback. It’s far from over. U philly fans can say what u want but It doesn’t change a thing.

47. #47 DieHard Habs Fan says:
    May 1, 2008 at 3:13 pm

STUO11:

When I move in with you I want some of what you r smoking OK.. LOL..

48. lol yes u can, I actually have an empty room in my house lol. Why do u hate carbo so much, I think he’s pretty good. It’s only his second year.

49. #49 future habs fan says:
    May 1, 2008 at 3:27 pm

for some of you who want Ryder in the lineup, here’s what he was doing at the Wachovia center yesrerday: In the stands making paper airplanes, laughing and shooting these little paper planes at Philly fans. As well, talking on his cell phone and laughing, WHILE HIS TEAM IS LOSING!
    Is that the player you want on the ice?
    habs players should string this guy up and pound the living daylights out of him

50. #50 habsfansrsoft says:
    May 1, 2008 at 3:33 pm

U guys n this better team bs. O were better but were gonna loose. Face it fellas your honestly not that good. The only reason u ended the season in 1st place is because the 3 other teams still left in the playoffs r all in the same division n have to play each other the whole year, while montreal is out playing walk overs. N hop off the penguins dk’s. They look good against an Ottowa team that if there was another week left in the season wouldn’t be in the playoffs, n a Rangers team that’s best players average 39 years old. Don’t like to look ahead but believe me if Flyers clean up this series, Crosby will be wetting his bed everynight before a game against the Flyers. I was at a game earlier in the year, Flyers were beating the penguins by 3 goals, n sidney crosby didn’t play the whole third period. Talk about a lil biotch.