Habs / Flyers: Game 4

• The Canadiens trail a playoff series for the first time this year. Down 2-1 for game 4 tonight in Philly.

Despite out shooting the Flyers by 20 shots the Canadiens dropped game 3. The powerplay clicked in the end, but was horrendous in the beginning when it was needed. Combined with some bad bounces, unlucky posts and bad goaltending, the Canadiens played catch up down 2-0 for the third straight game.

Guy Carbonneau is playing a few headgames by keeping his starting goalie a ‘secret’ until game time.

Expect Carey Price to return to the lineup and redeem his poor effort on Monday night.

Other than Martin Biron and their penalty killing unit, the Flyers have not overly impressed in any way. The Canadiens have defeated themselves.

Should the Habs start executing – manage to score first, have decent goaltending and have an average or better powerplay – they should not have any problem getting back into the series.

1. Joseph,if the Habs pull it of and win the next 3 games,they could beat Pittsburgh in the next series.

2. #2 Senet 1 says:
    May 2, 2008 at 10:22 pm

Firstly, I am not writing off my habs just yet but if we do not make the conference finals against Pittsburg there is one thing that Pittsburg brings to the table that we seem to be lacking and that is someone to put the puck in the net. Currently Pittsburg has three things that we do not have, Crosby, Malkin, and Staal. They are all goal finishers, something that we seem to be lacking since the playoffs started. Philly will not get away with being outshot by 20 shots agains Pittsburg, it just simply will not happen.

3. #3 Joseph says:
    May 2, 2008 at 10:25 pm

I’ll say one thing, Senet 1…

If Carbonneau goes with Halak again in Game 5, then I think we can all agree that he’ll be a finalist for the John Paddock Trophy.

4. #4 Senet 1 says:
    May 2, 2008 at 10:26 pm

251 Xtrahabsfan
    Posted on May 2nd, 2008 at 10:21 pm. About ‘Habs / Flyers: Game 4′.

I AGREE WITH THIS STATEMENT, BECAUSE HAVING SEEN HOW WE HAVE REACTED TO THE HEAVY GOING WE PROBABLY WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER OFF PLAYING THE SKATING CLUBS THAN THE BIGGER STRONGER CLUBS. IT WOULD HAVE BEEN INTERESTING TO SEE US AGAINST Ottawa and NYR and ALTHOUGH I THINK IT WAS UNPROFESSIONAL FOR PITTSBURG TO THROW THAT LAST BACK TO PHILLY IT LOOKS LIKE IT HAS PAID OFF FOR THEM.

5. #5 Joseph says:
    May 2, 2008 at 10:29 pm

Xtrahabsfan and Senet 1:

When it come to offense, the Habs are lacking six things that the Penguins aren’t:
    - Crosby
    - Malkin
    - Staal
    - Sykora
    - Malone
    - Gonchar

I don’t know about that match-up, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

6. #6 Senet 1 says:
    May 2, 2008 at 10:30 pm

Joseph, I would have to agree with you. It is obvious who is the better goalie and Price needs to play to know that the coach has confidence in him. If not for this year then for next year.

Personally, I like carbo as a coach but he has made a couple of rookie coach mistakes in this series and hopefully he learns from those mistakes. He and his coaching staff are directly responsible for this team playing as well as it has this year. Now we need to find the final pieces to make us a champion.

7. #7 Joseph says:
    May 2, 2008 at 10:34 pm

Having said everything that I’ve said about the Penguins and Flyers, the Penguins deserve to lose for that reason alone. Throwing games in unacceptable behaviour.

Did Lemieux learn that tactic from Eddie Johnston? Throwing games? Johnston did just that to get Lemieux in the draft.

8. I was as well talking of the momentum the Habs would have if that scenario come into play. Go Habs Go

9. #9 Senet 1 says:
    May 2, 2008 at 10:38 pm

- Crosby
    - Malkin
    - Staal
    - Sykora
    - Malone
    - Gonchar

I don’t know about that match-up, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

I was not getting ahead of myself, I will give you malone although we have the malones and sykora and Gonchars on our team, they may be masked in a different look but you have to realize that Malkin and Crosby make all these players better players. Without Crosby and Malkin these guys are no better than the Kiovu’s, Higgins and Kovalev’s. Gonchar is a good defenceman but so is Komy and Markov although I have been someone disappointed with Markov this series. We did not get to first place with a bunch of nobody players, it is just that when you have superstars they make even the ordinary players much better.

Back in the early Edmonton days Gretzky had a player on this line that scored 50 goals one season, and he was traded away the next year, someone said why was he not able to score 30+ goals the next year and the answer was even a goal post could have scored 50 goals if he was on Gretzky’s line. I see the same things with Malkin and Crosby.

10. #10 Senet 1 says:
    May 2, 2008 at 10:44 pm

One final comment before I head to bed, our team did score the most goals this year. The difference is in the playoff you need the game breakers when the team is struggling and Kovalev is suppose to be our game breaker and the only thing he is breaking is a lot of habs fans hearts.

11. #11 Joseph says:
    May 2, 2008 at 10:46 pm

I’m aware of that, Senet 1. Mario Lemieux made Robbie Brown a 40+ goal scorer, Kevin Stevens a 50+ goal scorer. In fact, it was said that a can of tomato paste could have scored 30+ goals playing on Lemieux’s line. I think that one might have.

But the reason that I added those players to your list is because you were talking about goal finishers… something that all three have proven to be in these playoffs. Regardless of who is setting them up, they’re finishing the set-ups. To further my point, I’ll use the examples of Kovalev and Koivu. Both have distributed some bow-wrapped passes to their respective linemates on many occasions in these playoffs, and those linemates have failed to finish more often than not.

12. #12 DieHard Habs Fan says:
    May 2, 2008 at 10:48 pm

100%. Price will start game 5…………

13. #13 Joseph says:
    May 2, 2008 at 10:49 pm

# 261 Senet 1
    Posted on May 2nd, 2008 at 10:44 pm. About ‘Habs / Flyers: Game 4′.

Agreed. Despite some clutch goals, Kovalev has returned to his less desirable form on many regards in these playoffs. My favourites are his telegraphed passes which land right on the blades of defensemen’s sticks, who then clear the zone or carry the puck up ice on an odd man rush.

14. #14 Joseph says:
    May 2, 2008 at 10:52 pm

I want to start Game 5. I want to know what it feels like to be alienated by the Montreal media and fans… which I certainly would be if I started Game 5. ;-)

15. #15 Joseph says:
    May 2, 2008 at 10:57 pm

You know, I wouldn’t mind watching the Habs lose to the Flyers in a hard fought, tightly contested, seven-game series. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth entertaining the possiblity that they’ll go down like a bunch of non-contenders in 5 games.

Fight, play, score! Make it worth watching! Make the fans proud!

16. #16 Joseph says:
    May 2, 2008 at 11:01 pm

Down 2-0 in all five games? Come… on.

I’m officially talking to myself now, so g’nite.

17. #17 Frog says:
    May 3, 2008 at 9:12 am

GO Habs! They will win in 7!!!! Sorry Flyer Fans it’s the Philly Way!
    When he was young youd not find him doing well in school,
    His mind would turn unto the waters.
    Always the focus of adolescent ridicule,
    He has no time for farmers daughters.
    Alienated from the clique society,
    A lonely boy finds peace in fishing.
    His mother says john this is not the way lifes supposed to be.
    Dont you see the life that you are missing?
    And he says…
    When I grow up I want to be,
    One of the harvesters of the sea.
    I think before my days are done,
    I want to be a fisherman.

Now years gone by we find man that rules the sea.
    He sets out on a dark may morning .
    To bring his catch back to this small community.
    He doesnt see the danger dawning.
    Four hours up, oh the ocean swelled and swelled,
    The fog rolled in it started raining.
    The starboard bow. oh my God were going down!
    The do not hear his frantic mayday.
    And he says
    When I grow up I want to be,
    One of the harvesters of the sea.
    I think before my days are done,
    I want to be a fisherman.
    Ill live and die a fisherman.
    Calling john the fisherman.

18. #18 Joseph says:
    May 3, 2008 at 10:37 am

Xtrahabsfan:

I believe that momentum plays an important part in any hockey game, but I don’t believe that it is carried from one game to the next, one series to the next. Playoff history has shown that a team gathering all the momentum in the world in winning a playoff game often falls short in the next one.

Winning streaks are the result of good coaching and team confidence, not momentum.

But don’t get me wrong. I’d love to see the Habs win the next three and give Pittsburgh a run for their money. That’s a tall order though.

19. #19 Joseph says:
    May 3, 2008 at 11:56 am

Did anyone watch Dallas get robbed of a series winner last night? It’s disatisfying watching the league and its officiating decide the outcomes of hockey games.

The Habs need a Brendan Morrow type player.

20. Joseph,it is a far stretch the fact the Habs did so well this year,oh, I got to cut off that idiot Philly troll”blade” that keeps saying ….”no its the fliers that shouldn’t be there”.I believe blade that your team had a lot of first round draft picks ala Bob Clark and trades that were possible cause of the strength of the American dollar and less pressure to perform in philly,plus a way lower tax system than Quebec.And trust me a lot of great hockey stars avoided coming to Montreal’FORSBERG,BRIERE,Shanahan,Smyth etc…”The Habs had to build from nothing and internally as well and got to where they are with unproven youth movement when the trades that Gainey made failed”Riberio for Niinimaa etc”.So truly,if anyone can get out of this huge hole,it is the BIG TIME SUPRIZE TEAM HABS…GO HABS

21. #21 Joseph says:
    May 3, 2008 at 12:23 pm

Well, despite this team’s highly successful regular season, it’s once again time for the Habs to show what they’re truly made of. The Habs are officially facing elmination, as they were in Game 7 against Boston. Will they find within themsleves the kind of performance that they put on in last series’ Game 7, or will they continue to be frustrated by Biron and go down unexpectedly in five games.

The Habs have undeniably taken the play to the Flyers for most of this series, and it can be said that Biron is responsible for the Flyers being up 3-1. However, the Habs have more than the play of Marty Biron to blame for their current predicament. Their inability to finish when Biron has been down and out has been of great concern. They’ll need someone to step up and score on Biron, preferrably early. Also, we all know that the recent play of Price has left something to be desired. I believe him to be a phenomenal young talent, but I also think that the Habs are going to need him to return to the form that he showed in much of the Boston series if they hope to win Game 5 – they cannot afford to see the Flyers mount another 2-0 lead. The Habs will need to score first if they’ve any hopes of returning to Philadephia for Game 6.

22. Montreal will win this game guys don’t worry, but you have to be afraid for tomorrow though.

23. #23 Rubberman says:
    May 3, 2008 at 12:54 pm

The Habs come back??!!!!??? I truely hope so but they are lacking confidence BIG TIMe.

24. #24 future habs fan says:
    May 3, 2008 at 12:54 pm

2 things have plagued the habs in this series. Inability to go to the net, and poor goaltending. Habs were lucky to escape it in the Boston series, but luck only goes so far. Sooner or later your flaws will be exposed. I do agree that we need a player like Morrow(Carbo’s son in law), or a younger Sakic. Maybe pickup Rolston from Minn, a good character player to replace Smolinski, and get Tanguay to replace Ryder. Plekanec for Carter? We need more grit. Somehow I just can’t ever see the Kostistyns being gritty players.
    So it’s do or die tonight. Tomorrow doesn’t look like a good golfing day, so maybe they’ll decide to put off golf plans until Wednesday.

25. #25 Joseph says:
    May 3, 2008 at 1:29 pm

The odds of the Habs coming back to win this series are not good, obviously. But I think that a win tonight (and possibly tomorrow night as well) will go a long way for next season.

As to grit, it’s something that I’ve been preaching on this blog for over a month now. It’s great to have the Kostitsins, but players like that cannot be the core of this team. Rather they need to be a complement to a solid core of grit and leadership.

26. The Habs are going to blow the door off the Bell Center you’ll see and I say run up the score as much as possible and crack the flyers mojo,put out that flickering flame for good once and for all !!!The time is NOW!!!Tonight’s score”this is for you Blade”will be Habs 8-Fliers 1,, followed by a nervous break down by the flyers.As in the movie ” No country for…”heads or tails flyers fans,lol….go habs go

27. If montreal wins tonight and tomorrow, montreal will take it. game 7 will already be secure. Montreal has been pissed off all series. since game 1 because of hitting sooo many posts and getting almost 50 shots when philly gets 12 and they win! If Montreal started to feel good no one can beat them. Habs will win this one tonight, but tomorrow could be a different story. Most my predictions are wrong though, but if u wish to listen go ahead lol. Go Habs go!!!

28. #28 future habs fan says:
    May 3, 2008 at 3:23 pm

we can only hope and pray our team shows some grit and heart tonight. Kovu will lead us tonight!

29. #29 Amre says:
    May 3, 2008 at 7:03 pm

Rula love, Go habs go…
    This is going to be a great game everyone, enjoy!

30. #30 Dave says:
    May 3, 2008 at 9:58 pm

Maybe Carbo should realize if he is a horse race , he should use some Canadian horses, good for you Ryder they can’t blame it on you,Look forward to you scoring on the Habs next year with a team who appreciate you. Maybe the Habs should have benched the beloved Kovalev for all he added

31. #31 EFFINFLYERS!! says:
    May 3, 2008 at 10:19 pm

It’s been a good series guys, really…the Canadiens gave one hell of a fight. They owned quite a bit of the offensive zone in the 5 games played. With the Rangers winning tonight, I’m not sure who we’ll face next, just hope you guys wish us luck the same way I would you.

32. #32 EFFINFLYERS!! says: