Habs / Flyers: Game 5

• The Philadelphia Flyers can eliminate the 1st seed Montreal Canadiens from the Stanley Cup Playoffs tonight with a win in Montreal.

The Canadiens problems in this series have been well chronicled and they have the large task of winning the next 3 games in order to advance.

Is it such a huge task? The Capitals sent their series with Philly to 7 after being down 3-1. The Bruins sent the series with the Habs to 7 after being down 3-1. The Habs have recently won a series against the Bruins in 2004 from the same 3-1 hole.

The Canadiens have won 3 straight games 6 times this year.

Is it that impossible?

Don’t think for a second the Flyers are not well aware of this.

You can pull up all the stats and superstitious games and series of the past to convince yourself the Canadiens can and will comeback. But the players are the ones who will decide it on the ice.

Who wants it more?

Carey Price will start. Despite his struggles in this series.

This is the right choice.

Carey Price had his share of ugly moments in the Habs & Bruins series. When it all came down to game 7 and big pressure, Price played terrific and earned a 5-0 shutout victory.

Price is a pressure goaltender.

Should the unthinkable happen, and the Flyers eliminate the Canadiens in 5 games. Carey Price needs to be in the net experiencing what that is like. No one else. Price is the goaltender of the future and he will be getting a huge dose of experience tonight, win or lose.

The Canadiens have gone down 2-0 in all 4 games of the series. The slightest thing like scoring first could be what propels them to 3 straight wins.

One goal at a time, one game at a time.

1. #1 EFFINFLYERS!! says:
    May 4, 2008 at 12:05 am

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Sam Neil.

2. #2 EFFINFLYERS!! says:
    May 4, 2008 at 12:06 am

Maybe Jeff Goldblum?

3. #3 Tony from NB says:
    May 4, 2008 at 12:07 am

To all Habs Fans….very nice run!!!

First off, thanks for having me(Joseph & Xtrahabsfan), many of you can actually hold a real good conversation.

This will be my last post, and would like to reflect on a few items discussed:(it’s long)

1. Why the Flyers in 5????

Hard to believe, right? After last season’s Flyers disaster, few would have expected the Flyers would be in a position to win 4 more games and reach the Cup Final.

I think Biron is the difference maker here….It’s hard to imagine where the Flyers would be without him in net. He has made countless saves under the most pressure-filled situations. Biron has stopped some of the league’s most potent snipers thus far,
    including a trio of Alexe(s) – Ovechkin, Semin and now Kovalev!

Strange, here’s a goalie that really never has been placed in this situation during his 10 yr career…he’s never had a reference point. Now he has a reference point that he can play at a very high level and be the difference maker.

Which takes me to Carey Price…..same situation…right? No playoff experience….no reference point…..but all so called experts believed he was the better goalie. Bob Gainey knew he was the better goalie…Carbo knew he was the better goalie…..stop right there!

Here’s the key…and the controversy for the Habs in the next few days/weeks…Carbo wanted Huet to stay…he believed Huet (with Price backing up) would enter the playoffs. Why should Carbo believe this…Huet did change the this season for the Habs around after Price was sent to the minors. The Halak move in game 4 was proof once and for all.

…and there lies the difference in this series…..Biron, no playoff experience, 10 years in the NHL, and he is 31 yrs old (kinda sound like the guy playing for the Caps now)
    …and Price, 20 yr old phenom, no playoff experience, no reference point, no chance to succeed.

Gainey’s “risk/reward” would have “won” the day if his coach believed the same. There is no shame in beating the Bruins and loosing to the Flyers….the only shame is letting the media (and the Flyers) know that your’e 20 yr old goalie has lost his confidence….thanks Guy!

2. R.J. Umberger…Hamburger… Tomato/Tomato…..who cares….

Umberger has been invaluable for the Flyers in the playoffs despite having to bounce through different lines, and constantly adjust to playing with new teammates.
    Umberger even started the playoffs against Washington on the fourth line…a big insult for a player that has been an essential cog in the Flyers’ machine all season long….and to think the Leafs had a crack at this guy!!!

3. Danny Briere

Another player brought in from Buffalo, Briere has brought a lot to the table for the Flyers. Like Biron, Briere was under a lot of scrutiny during the regular season….. Despite registering 72 points in the regular season, Briere was a defensive liability with an ugly minus-22 …but hey!…nothing changes your game like the NHL playoffs…so he left that behind in the regular season. Briere has come through in the playoffs when his team has needed him…..to bad, but this guy was made for the Habs.

4. Habs future????

Very bright indeed…..so much skill, speed, and leadership from Koivu and to everyone surprise…Kovalev.

I really like Komisarak….because we would be a great Bruin…and he looks a little like Bobby.

Price is the real deal…..this loss will prove invaluable for years to come…why??? Easy…everything has come easy for Price because of his natural talent….now the work ethic kicks in to take his craft to the next level….and it will….because one thing should happen in the off season…something in the lazy days of July/August…..

5. Carbo needs to get fired……

No joke…he did not believe in the Huet trade (right or wrong), and I believe Price has lost respect as well. For this team to take it to the next level, they need a seasoned NHL coach that understands the futures he his molding…Carbo is not that coach!

I would hope Gainey takes care of business in the off season and not a month or two down the road in the regular season.

Finally,
    6. Habs need to grow and inch or two….

Did you see the hand shakes at the end of the game…geez, the Flyers look huge. Habs need talented bulk up front…and it should come in the form of a trade or free agency…this team can’t wait for a draft pick to develop.

Also, Gainey would be wise to look for a veteran backstop….hey, I think that Huet dude is a free-agent in the off season.

That’s it…that’s enough….I need to get back to my NFL blogs for the rest of the year.

Tony from NB (an intelligent hockey fan who says thanks Habs bloggers)

4. #4 EFFINFLYERS!! says:
    May 4, 2008 at 12:15 am

Tony from NB…damn, I am speechless. You are quite the Connisseuer of da hockey. BRAVO, for a Bruins fan.

5. Geezes Habs blog,your going to have to change the name to BruinsHabstoFlyer Blog,lol

6. Joseph: Fleury can’t stop all those tipped shots, Philly’s Luck is the greatest strengtgh out of all teams. I still think Carey Price played good It’s just that there was a 3 inches hole just enough for the puck and the puck went directly in it. Carey Price will get the vezina 6 out of the next 9 years.

7. But hey Philly fans, the last 2 teams to kick out montreal(tampa,Carolina) won the stanley cup that same year! I’m cheering for Philly now because if they win the cup, It shows that Montreal played against a good team. philly 4-1 over pitts.

8. #8 Frog says:
    May 4, 2008 at 7:41 am

Don`t like to think too much, it makes me think too much,
    it keeps my mind on my mind
    Don`t wanna see too much, it makes me see to much
    sometimes I`d rather be blind

All the things that they`re saying & doing
    when they pass me by just fills me up with noise
    it overloads me
    I wanna disconnected myself
    pull my brain stem out and unplug myself
    I want nothing right now, I want to pull it out

Chorus:
    yeah, I want to pull it out, yeah
    I wanna break it all down, hey, I wanna pull it out
    yeah, yeah, disconnect myself, disconnect myself
    I wanna see it go down, yeah, disconnect myself

A thousand miles an hour going nowhere fast
    clinging to the details of your past
    talking `bout your damages and your wasting my time
    wanna be the king of pain, stand in line
    all the numbers and the colours and the facts
    backed by the rumours and the figures and the stats
    I think I`m gonna download my mind

Chorus

Too damn bad if at the end of the day the only thoughts
    in your brain are all the things that they say, what a waste
    Too damn bad if at the end of the line you got no idea
    what`s on your own mind, you got no one to blame but yourself
    Too much to know, too much to see
    it might mean something to you but it`s nothing to me
    its just another ad for someone`s version of how they think it should be

I wanna disconnect myself, pull my brains damn out, unplug myself
    I want nothing right now, I want to pull it out

9. #9 RKhockey says:
    May 4, 2008 at 9:00 am

I am a Flyers supporter and hoped that they would compete in the series. As I have gotten older I have become more of a hockey fan than a Flyers fan; i.e. I watched some of San Jose – Dallas the other night and thorougly enjoyed it. That said, I still know that it is no fun to have your team knocked out. So to the die hard Montreal fans, I have felt your pain – every year since 1975.

I thought that a blog might be a fun place to exchange some thoughts on hockey instead of just for abuse. Consider that the players don’t do this nonsense in shaking hands at the end of the game. So let’s sum up the series this way: the Canadians out-chanced the Flyers but the Flyers got great goal-tending and took advantage of chances. As the Flyers have overachieved this year, having been last in the league last year, so have the Canadians. They had a great year – no one expected them to have such a great regular season. As their goalies improve, there is a very bright future for them.

The series was closer than 4-1. In fact, Montreal hit the post with about 5 minutes to go last night (when the game was tied). That goes in and we are probably talking about game 6.

So a little compassion from one hockey fan to those that are suffering. (I will probably be there with you after the Penguins.)

May 4, 2008 at 12:40 pm

Post #150 EFFINFLYERS I think what Xtrahabsfan meant by “089″ was 2008/2009 season. We all got it, didnt you?

11. #11 The Blade says:
    May 4, 2008 at 12:59 pm

Keep calling it luck, boys. A convincing 4-1 series demolition. Of course, all luck. Well, I guess it will be on to the Pens blog soon enough. muahahaha. You guys can join in wallowing with the caps fans. Flyers are unbreakable.

12. ONE DULL BLADE, PENS ARE GOING TO MAKE BITCHES OF THE FLYERS BAH HA HA HAH HAH HA………………

13. #13 The Blade says:
    May 4, 2008 at 7:01 pm

We already made bitches out of you clowns.

14. #14 Joseph says:
    May 4, 2008 at 7:57 pm

Thanks, Xtrahabsfan. You’re a good guy. And thanks for not only the good discussion, but also the positive vibe that you bring to this place! (Something that is in short supply.)

Tony, as per usual, great insight. I really don’t have a lot to add at this point except that I’ve been plugging the Habs’ lack of a physical presence for two full months now. I agree with you on Price, and as well on Biron. Goaltending certainly was the difference, and for the reasons that you’ve stated. And I stated earlier on in this series that I remember Biron coming in for an injured Hasek several years back and stoning Toronto in the ECF. Hasek came back and Biron rode the bench the rest of the way while Buffalo fell to Dallas. If things had been different, the hockey world might have found out back then that Biron was a top notch playoff goaltender. Where can I find your blog?

STUO11, I’m not crazy about the Penguins (though I really do like Malkin) but barring a complete meltdown, they’ll defeat the Flyers. They’re a better team than the Habs on many levels, and to suggest that the Flyers will have their hands full would be an understatement.

Blade, you require special assistance. What’s it like living inside of a bubble? Your take on the Habs-Flyers series is an extremely myopic one. The Flyers were outplayed badly in 4 of 5 games (everyone realizes this), and as has been discussed in here ad nauseum, the diffenece in the series was simply goaltending. Biron was great, Price was not yet ready for this kind of challenge. That’s it. Through your eyes, the Flyers can do no wrong, but the truth is that they had Lady Luck on their side throughout this series. There’s no shame in admitting that, you know. Some of your fellow fans in here have. You might try emulating them.

15. #15 Joseph says:
    May 4, 2008 at 8:01 pm

I’ll only add that the Flyers played their best game in Game 5. When they had a chance to wrap it up, they did, and they deserved it because they earned it.

Again though, Biron was the difference. He was outstanding.

16. #16 Joseph says:
    May 4, 2008 at 9:32 pm

Thanks for your comments, RKhockey.

17. #17 Senet 1 says:
    May 4, 2008 at 9:44 pm

6 NShabfan
    Posted on May 3rd, 2008 at 3:55 pm. About ‘Habs / Flyers: Game 5′.

How bout the next LeClair?Though not a 50 goal man,but I bet he provides another team with a 25-30 goal man-i.e-LeClair on a smaller scale.

Ryder is only as good as his centreman, and some of you guys kept saying that our players lacked heart, well Ryder had every chance to prove he deserved to play and he lacked the heart to show he deserved it. He did not have to just score goals to stay playing he had to show effort something he did not give when it got his chance. The only game he showed any effort was in game one of the Boston series.

He could help a last place team like Tampa rebound especially if they put him on a line with Vinny.

18. #18 Joseph says:
    May 4, 2008 at 10:14 pm

I think that there might be a lot more to the Ryder situation than appears on the surface. As unprofessional as it would be, Ryder may have performed below his capabilities in these playoffs for the mere reason that he has issues with Carbonneau. After all, he was an underachiever all season. Why would that be? And he may have more heart than appears as well. I do remember him grinding it out a lot more in the Carolina series two seasons ago.

Ryder needs out of Montreal. And he’ll be a welcomed addition wherever he lands.

On a related note, Habs fans in general might consider the reason that it’s so difficult to draw players to Montreal. I love the passion, but everything that every player in a Habs uniform does is scrutinized under a microscope like nowhere else in the league. That’s got to be an overwhelming amount of pressure for any player to try and cope with.

By the way, for anyone who’s bashed Bob Cole, he was all about the Habs last night. He was genuinely excited when they scored and he said that the Habs couldn’t go down in 5 after the great season that they’d had (during the game). Cut him some slack, folks. Not everyone outside of Montreal is against the Habs.

19. #19 WildKnight says:
    May 5, 2008 at 12:58 pm

I’ve been a Habs fan for 41 years and haven’t in recent years seen a series that was so lopsided and the less performing team just keep on coming out on top. Philadelphia DID NOT in any way earn this series win, hell they barely scraped it out with lowly Washington. They were lucky as hell. Aganist Montreal they were massively outshot, massively lost face-offs, massively out hit, massively were out “scoring chanced”. Montreal hit ten goal posts over 5 games, while Flyers had the enjoyment of multiple lucky-ass goals off Montreal defenders’ sticks, body’s, etc….Flyers should count their lucky stars for even winning one game in this series. Sure they won on the stat that counts, the scoreboard, but they sure as hell didn’t earn those lucky goals they got. They were beaten badly by a team much younger than them and this young Montreal team will definitely have there day in seasons to come…Pittsburg is going to destroy them and we will see the true Flyers team, well for only four games anyway!

20. I agree wildknight lol the Philedelphia Flyers did not earn to even make it to the playoffs.