Habs Off Season Changes

• What are the most important moves the Habs need to make in the off season?

Which free agents need to be re-signed?

Which free agents need to be pursued?

Who needs to be brought up from Hamilton?

Which players absolutely must go?

1. #1 orilliaborn says:
    April 14, 2007 at 2:28 pm

Montreal has to do something with Steve Begin. He hurts the team with his penalties and although it’s good that he’s feisty, that alone doesn’t outweigh his stupidity.

2. Most important moves:Clean House and replace with size ,skill,speed and fight !!
    Free Agents Resigned: Markov and Souray
    ” ” Pursued :Smyth
    Bring up from Hamilton? : Hell ,let them all try-out !Grabivski,Stortini,Ferland,Kostistsyn,Loke,Biron,Janievski,Milroy ,Chipchura,***Price ***etc…oh yeah !!
    Habs that must go:Downey,Bonk,Johnston,Kovalev,Samsonov,Dandanult,Niinamaa,Abbyshit and Huet !

3. #3 Habs#1 says:
    April 14, 2007 at 3:04 pm

Without a doubt Kovy and Sammy NEED to go, the thing is is that Kovalev will unfortuanately be back in the Habs uni.Sammy will be bought out. Unless Gainey can pull some more fairy dust out of the same bag of tricks he used in the Theo trade Kovy will be back with the Habs. I can’t see a team in their right minds taking an underacheiving Russain earning 9 mil over the next two years. Either Boullion or Dandenault(or maybe both) need to go and if the Habs bring back Markov.

Who needs to be re-signed? Markov. Without a doubt Andrei Markov. Although I read that Tony Marinaro said that friends of Markov are saying he won’t be back next year. Can someone please confirm this for me? HB would you know? Souray could be brought back at an affordable price but Gainey should not break the bank for him, no more then 5 mil for Souray.

Bonk, Abby, Ninnamaa, Downey and the more I think about it, Johnson won’t be back. Ninnamaa’s dirt, same with Abby and Downey. Bonk, while he had a good year, won’t be worth the money he’ll ask for. And I’m a big Johnson fan, but his role could be filled by a younger cheaper player next year.

Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Halak, and maybe O’Byrne should be on the big team permanently with Chipchura maybe taking Johnson’s spot on the wing on a third line with Pleks, but I think he should stay in the minors for at most one more full season until Kovalev goes which would open up a spot on the top 2 lines for Guillaume, cause right now Latendresse is in Chipchura’s spot..

I’m not convinced that any of the top UFA centre’s(Drury, Briere, Gomez) would fit in MTL. The Habs need a big centre to tandem with Koivu, not another smurf. But if it came down to those three I’d go with Briere. Ryan Smyth to a three year deal, Scott Walker or Scott Hartnell to 4 year deals would be who I go after for wingers. All three of them have grit and drive and skill. Smyth is proven, but his game leaves him injury prone(I live in Edmonton, so I know that he spend’s at least a month per season on the DL), and I think Walker and Hartnell just need top 2 line minutes to prove themselves.

They need another Dman and if Emelin isn’t over or isn’t ready, then Andy Sutton or Garnett Exelby would be awesome. The Trashers will be in cap hell going into next season so the Habs should be able to steal at least one of them. They’re both smart with the puck in both ends of the rink, both have grit and both hit like freight trains.

And no matter what anyone says, a heavyweight in my books should be a huge priority.The top teams in the East(Buffalo, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Ottawa, NYR, Tampa Bay) all have heavyweights. Adam Mair becomes a UFA at the end of the year and he’s a clone of Chris Neal. A guy who can be an effective 3rd-4th line player and go toe-to-toe with the big boys in the league. Derek Boogard is a RFA and the Habs should look at him.

The biggest needs though for the Habs are as follows: A big #1-2 centre(probably aquired via trade), a top 2 line winger, a D man(hopefully Emelin), a heavyweight, two less Russian wingers who are over or close to the age of 30. They also need Guillaume Latendresse’s skating to improve by leaps and bounds and also his play without the puck. They also NEED to get Emelin and Valentenko over to North America to let them ajust to the NHL style of play.

If everything goes the Habs way this summer, except for getting rid of Kovy which I think will be impossible even though it’s the best thing, then the line up should be this next season:

first line: Kovalev—Koivu—Ryder
    second line: Smyth/Hartnell/Walker—Legwand/Briere—Higgins
    third line: Latendresse—Plekanec—Kostitsyn
    fourth line: Mair/Booggard—Lapierre—Begin

1rst D pairing: Markov—Komisarek
    2nd D pairing: Exelby/Sutton—Streit
    3rd D pairing: Souray—Georges

Goalies:#1:Huet #2:Halak(he takes over #1 spot at the halfway mark)

Emelin, Valentenko, Sergei Kostitsyn(who needs to be signed by July 1rst or he goes back into the draft I believe), Chipchura all start the year in the minors.

And I repeat, can someone deny or confirm the report from Tony Marinaro on the Team 990 the Markov is telling friends that he’s leaving Montreal. Cause if this is true then this contradicts everything he said and all of his actions this past year, so even if it is true I’m not sure I can believe it. I never really trust much that comes out of the media in Montreal cause they’re basically tabloids when it come to the Habs. But I just need to know for my own sanity!

4. #4 Habs#1 says:
    April 14, 2007 at 3:10 pm

Oh yeah, two more things I forgot to add:

1) Carbo and Gainey need to change they’re defensive system from passive to constent pressure and two guys forechecking instead of one. Rivet had a very good point here about the defensive system. If they forecheck with two guys they will score more 5 on 5.

2) They need to draft either Esposito, or if he’s not available, Brendon Sutter. Esposito is currently the more talented of the two and a home grown Quebec boy(although that’s also a fear that the media and fans will want him immediately even though he’s not ready). Sutter is 6 foot 3, and will fill out into a huge #1-2 centre. He’s got boatload’s of heart and grit, and he had even more skill then his uncle’s and dad apparently.

5. #5 R habs 4 real says:
    April 14, 2007 at 4:20 pm

What are the chances of getting Handzus? I don’t think the hawks are going to resign him, and I think he’s got alot of talent. Also, there’s no chance of landing Briere, and he’s too small. Koivu is only a 2nd line center, not 1st line. I’d like to see Huet get traded, in return for a center or winger. Huet tyo TB for Richards? How about a veteran like Murray from Boston?
    And for our big deal, sign UFA BLAKE from NYI. Bonk, Johnson are probably gone. We must sign Markov, because he was a +2, and gets the puck out of his zone quickly. Begin, tho good at blocking shots, gets injured too often.
    Ninnimaa and Abbyshit are gone, along with Nurray and Downey. Look for 2 D men from Hamilton: O’Byrne and Cote. Also, they’re trying hard to get Valentenko over from Russia. Halak should be our #1 goalie, with Price as the backup.
    We need 2 wingers, and 1 center, and possibly a D man. Oh, I forgot: we have to get rid of Dandenault and Bouillon too.

6. #6 Habs#1 says:
    April 14, 2007 at 5:23 pm

There is no way Price should not spend at bare minimum a full season in Hamilton. He should NOT be with the Habs next season.

And Brad Richards? Where are the Habs going to get 8 million in cap room to fit him? And it would require more then just Huet to get him.

7. #7 Lucky says:
    April 14, 2007 at 5:50 pm

Hey Hab#1
    I wouldn`t take anything that Tony Marinaro says too serious, his inisde information has no subtance. If you remember during the trade deadline he said that Souray was going to be moved and well you know what happened there.
    Tony Marinaro use to get all his information from yours truly Mike Riberio.

Trust me on this.
    The only person on team 990 that knows his stuff is PJ Stock.

8. #8 R habs 4 real says:
    April 14, 2007 at 6:04 pm

I thinkRichards is an UFA. If that’s true, then we don’t have to worry about giving up a player, because they definitely are looking for a goalie, and we have plenty! I think the habs will sign Zubrus. I’d bet my paycheck he’s coming back for another stint here. He’s mentioned he wants to return, and his fiance is from Montreal. So who’s a good strong centerman? does Handzus play center?

9. #9 Habs#1 says:
    April 14, 2007 at 6:16 pm

‘Hey Hab#1
    Tony Marinaro use to get all his information from yours truly Mike Riberio.

Trust me on this.
    The only person on team 990 that knows his stuff is PJ Stock.

The last thing that I heard is Markov has moved his family from Russia over to MTL.’

His source was Mike Ribeiro? Haha ha ha ha ha! Thanks man, you actually put a mind at ease. Anyone who uses Mike Ribeiro as a source can’t be beleived.

And Brad Richards a UFA? You guys must only pay attention to the Habs. Brad Richards signed a 5 year deal worth 8 million per season last summer. And he only had 25 goals and 70 points. That kind of production isn’t worth 8 million. But if you love Richards that much you’ll have to wait another 4 years for him to become a UFA.

10. Stop naming unknown names…We want to acquire true starts. NOT THE LIKES OF ZUBRUS AND HANDZUS.

I say we should acquire a North American Center. It could be Smith or Smyth(the one nthat got traded to Islanders). We will be great on defence if we resign Souray and Markov, and in addition acquire a young skilled defenceman.

Now the qustion comes to goaltending., Sometimes I think we’re great on goaltending, then I’m not sure about it. I believe Halak would be a great #1 starter, but in order for him to be great, we must have a good backup goalie so that he forces his way out to keep the #1 spot. Anyways, trading Huet wouldn’t be the smartest move Gainey can pull out.

Moreover, we need to bring more yougsters from the farm team. If we have the mixture of young blood and experience minds on the lineup, our roster will look similar to Pittsburgh.

Looking ahead to 2007-2008
    GO HABS GO!

11. Habs#1,so I’m reading your post #3, and enjoying it and then you get to your line-ups,line #1 Kovalev Koivu Ryder ,and all of a sudden I feel flush with anger ,doubt,confusion,vertigo,then….I puke all over everything. I don’t care how it’s done Bob Gainey but as long as Kovalev is on my team….well…and this kills me,I boycott !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. #12 Habs#1 says:
    April 14, 2007 at 6:55 pm

I hate Kovalev as much as the next guy, but if you look at the situation, they’re stuck with him. No team will take an underacheiving Russian who makes 9 mil over the next two years.

NO ONE WILL TAKE HIM!

13. Package Kovalev with Pershogan”however you spellit” and Dandanault “whats with these last names?” Good trade for some one,or send Kovalev to the Bulldogs !!!

14. #14 Habs#1 says:
    April 14, 2007 at 7:37 pm

That may be Gainey’s way out. XHabsfan just brought up a good point that I didn’t think of.

Lou Lamerillo traded a first round pick to San Jose for the Sharks to also take on Vladimir Malakohv’s salary.

Gainey might be able to pawn off Kovalev on one of the bottom feeders(Philly, Chicago, LA, Washington. Maybe St.Louis cause they feel he can put them into the playoffs next year) as long as he throws in a first round pick or Perezhogin and a draft pick.

15. There is no way that we get a guy like Briere out here. Without making the playoff, it will be really hard to get any free agents out here I think.

People who say we should trade Huet, is wrong. The habs will never do this. Gainey got Abbi cause he was not sure Huet would be able to make the job again, so do you really believe he will let the net to a rookie like Halak ? And Carbo won’t ask him for this, cause he preferred Huet to Halak in the last game of the season when it was crucial.

The team will rely on it’s rookies next year, wich will make Koivu probably go during the year (if we fallow what he said about reconstruction).

We draft 12th, I am pretty sure that Esposito will be gone before this, no ? I don’t have the list of the possible draft but…

BTW : Any one know where I can get the list of the UFA for 2007 ? I tryed to search for a possible list on the web but didn’t find any. I think the NHL get them out only on 1st of july, but there must be a list somewhere that the manager use and blah blah blah.

I can’t wait for next season and see what’s going on, since I been able to only see 2 match via Internet since I am in the Netherlands.

16. J-Nic, there’s another way to rid of the Kovalev one, package him with Huet, you see guy’s we are only stuck in a hole ,if we want to be in a hole !!!And a Habs fan Bloging from the Netherlands deserves a Stanley cup in my books.!!!

17. #18 R habs 4 real says:
    April 14, 2007 at 10:18 pm

Gainey will find a way to get rid of Kovalev. He knows only to well, that if Kovalev remains on this team, it means no playoff appearances for the habs for the next 2 years! He won’t risk that probability, and also losing fans in the process. Some of us want Kovalev off this team so badly, that we want Gainey to do WHATEVER IT TAKES TO RID OURSELVES OF THAT SELFISH UNDERACHIEVING GUTLESS CANCER! If Kovalev stays, I leave!
    We should all sign a petition, and send it to Gainey. He needs to know how ALL hab fans feel about Kovalev!

18. #19 smiler2729 says:
    April 15, 2007 at 11:28 am

Marinaro, Ribeiro, both of ‘em are weasels.

The must-gos are the obvious –
    Sergei Samsonov (bought out or traded but who wants him?),
    Dave Aebischer (not good enough for the NHL),
    Aaron Downey (big mouth, distraction)
    and Janne Niinimaa (not worth the dough he gets).

Bob Gainey says he’s going to get a big impact type forward either thru free agency or trade. Somebody needs to come in here and take the heat off of Saku Koivu (not a #1 type center but valuable as #2) and Alexei Kovalev who is great when he isn’t the go-to-guy on a team (see Penguins 1998-2001).

Hopefully Sheldon Souray and Andrei Markov stay for obvious reasons but I’d really to see Markov explode into the great d-man everybody says he is. As for Mathieu Dandeneault and Frankie Bouillon, it’s too bad we just can’t roll them into one player… betcha Dandy stays cuz he’s versatile and a right hand shot.

As for the goalies, I’m satisfied with Huet/Halak doing the platoon thing until Price is NHL ready.

And hopefully all of the Bulldogs get a chance to really stick.

19. #20 Lucky says:
    April 15, 2007 at 1:09 pm

Hey Smiler2729 I couldn`t agree with you more.

BOYCOTT TEAM 990 between 12:00 to 1:00….

20. #21 Habs#1 says:
    April 15, 2007 at 1:34 pm

Is it just me or is Gainey using Nashville as a model to build the Habs? He seems to be building a future dominant defence corps and possibly finding some offensive gems in later rounds.

Nashville has the best young defence in the league today and some great young offensive players and it looks to me like the Habs will be in the same position as the Preds in 2-3 years but with better goaltending.

All of the following players for Nashville are under the age of 26:

Nashville today: Shea Weber, Ryan Suter, Dan Hamhuis and Greg Zanon on D(with Cody Franson coming up the pipe), and Alexander Radulov, Martin Erat, David Legwand, Scott Hartnell, and Jordan Tootoo as an effective pest(I love that kid and his style of play). Nashville however doesn’t have any young goalies.

All of the following Montreal players are 23 and under accept for Pleks(24) and Komisarek(25)

Habs future: Mike Komisarek, David Fischer, Alexei Emelin, Pavel Valentenko, Ryan O’Byrne, Mathieu Carle, Josh Georges on D(with all these young D men Gainey will be able to use one of them, like Nashville used Ryan Parent in the Forsberg deal, to go out and get a star player from a rebuilding team), and Guillaume Latendresse, Andrei Kostitsyn, Chris Higgins, Tomas Plekanec, Sergei Kostitsyn, Mikhail Grabovski, Kyle Chipchura, Alex Perezhogin and Maxim Lapierre as the pest. They also have Halak and Price coming up in net.

These guys have even more young good prospects and players then Buffalo and Nashville who are lauded as model franchises in that repect.Just wait, in 1-2-3 years the Habs will be winning Presidents Trophy’s and locking up playoff spots in Febuary/early March. It took Buffalo and Nashville almost 8 years each to get where they are, it’s going to take Gainey a lot less time then that.

21. #22 R habs 4 real says:
    April 15, 2007 at 4:15 pm

But Nashville is able to sign free agents, and we aren’t! That’s the difference, ie. Arnott, Kariya, etc.

April 15, 2007 at 6:43 pm

How can you respect some superstars that sign in nashville,carolina etc. Come on.

23. #24 R habs 4 real says:
    April 15, 2007 at 9:03 pm

Nashville is in the playoffs, and we’re not! I would gladly change places with them. I would take the talent of Nashville any day, over ours! And any team would grab Kariya and Arnott if they we’re available. It’s just our misfortune to not get 2 very talented players, like them. I would never laugh at teams that are better than us!

24. #25 Habs#1 says:
    April 15, 2007 at 10:00 pm

Who’s laughing at them? I’m just saying that once the Habs prospects develop the Habs will become winners and then UFA’s will want to come to MTL again.

And I agree with Pactum. Kariya hates playing in hockey markets and so does Arnott. Arnott folds under pressure(He did in Edmonton and never went back to a real hockey market).

25. #26 R habs 4 real says:
    April 15, 2007 at 10:33 pm

If certain players can’t play well under pressure, then who wants them?
    OK, so who do you think we should try and get?

26. #27 Habs#1 says:
    April 15, 2007 at 10:47 pm

Ryan Smyth to a three year deal. He’s the only scoring big name UFA I’m interested in. Garnett Exelby or Andy Sutton for the D, Adam Mair for a heavywirght.

If those don’t work then maybe it’s time for Gainey to take a page out of Kevin Lowe’s book and trade for impact players. I’m looking for Gainey to make some or one huge deal at the draft.

27. I agree, and wouldn’t be at all disappointed if Kovalev and (Samsonov, Abby, Bouillon, Niinima, Bonk/Johnson) were packaged together.

Would not include Pleks, any of the young guns (Kos/Lapierre/Latendresse/Grabovsky/Price/Jarolak/and any others still developing)…of course with the exception of major block trade where quality is being brought in then one hopes Gainey is using his marbles.

Something has got to be done to move us up and grab a draft pick worthy in the future and dish off some dead wood / in exchange for other underachievers…Y’know there was a time where Luongo and Lecavalier were not doing well but we missed the chance to get them. Oh well, c’est la vie! Something’s gonna change that’s for sure…my two cents!

28. #29 habs#1fan says:
    April 16, 2007 at 8:31 am

We all know that Samsonov will have to go somehow and like to see Markov and Souray both back. Guys, I DO like the younger players who are in the system and think they have the potential to be very good (Latendresse, Halak, Plecs, Higgins, Lapierre etc.), but I was just doing some researching and looking back to the 93 season which the Habs won it all. Since that season the Habs have made the playoffs 7 times and missed them 6 times. The highest seed they have had was 5th in 93-94 the year after they won the Cup, and since the 96-97 season they have not gotten any better than the 7th seed. And since the 93 Cup winning team they have only made it through the first round 3 times. The Habs are my team and I will cheer for them till the day I die but how long will we have to wait until the Canadiens can become a team that battles for one of the top 2 or 3 spots? Hopefully Gainey can do some good things this offseason and get things going again. GO HABS GO!!!

29. #30 Joshtm says:
    April 16, 2007 at 10:45 am

Nashville is getting the crap beaten out of them by San Jose, what kind of model is that to follow? I say get rid of Gainey and Carbo and the rest would naturally flow.

30. #31 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    April 16, 2007 at 12:35 pm

Testing

31. #32 Joshtm says:
    April 16, 2007 at 1:34 pm

Definitely something needs to be done about our defense, trade them all except for Souray and Kostysn….if we need to get rid of anyone, Dandenault and Bouillon should be the first to go, then of course the pecking order…and get rid of Huet and Abby!

32. #33 Joshtm says:
    April 16, 2007 at 1:44 pm

If we have to keep Koivu, bring his brother up for God’s sake that might solve his unwillingness to be a team player! Threaten Kovalev once more or find him someone he wants to play with!

33. #34 Joshtm says:
    April 16, 2007 at 2:40 pm

Note Gainey’s emphasis on listening to Koivu. Guess that means another season of watching the pathetic defense, pathetic goaltending, and Sakku leading the team to the penalty box for the most wimpiest penalties. If there was a penalty for being a wimp, Sakku would lead the league! I guess that means Gainey is gonna listen to Dandenault and Bouillon yet again…

34. #35 habs#1fan says:
    April 16, 2007 at 4:50 pm

Joshtm I have heard of you and some of the senseless stuff you post on here. For starters you stated in post #32 to trade all D-men except Souray and Kostysn?? Kostitsyn is a forward not a D-man. And in Post #33 you said
    “If we have to keep Koivu, bring his brother up for God’s sake that might solve his unwillingness to be a team player!”
    I think it would be hard to bring up a player that plays for another NHL team numbnuts Mikko Koivu plays for the Wild. Get your shit straight before you blab all this meaningless bull. Koivu is still a great player and a leader. He did after all LEAD the team is scoring. GO HABS GO!!!

35. hABS#1fan, re:post 35,
    I’ve got to tell you ,you the first one to say “GO HABS GO !” SINCE THE LAFFS game ,YOU KNOW ,THE GAME THAT TOOK US OUT OF THE Big Show !!! The game the Maple Dicks eliminated us !!!!! So, before we fans headhunt each other,maybe us Fans should get together and help fix this very BROKEN DOWN team through the power of suggestion. THAT LAST GAME WAS A MESSAGE;THE TIME IS NOW TO REBUILD !!!!Man ,it still hurts ,dam-it !!!!!!! Drastic measures must be taken,period !!!!!!!!

36. #37 R habs 4 real says:
    April 16, 2007 at 10:37 pm

I wonder if there’s any truth to the story , that the owner of “RED BULL”, (worth about 3 billion), is interested in buying the HABS! that would mean lots of dough to make changes, despite the salary cap. I wonder?
    Maybe Gillette is so upset the habs didn’t make the playoffs, and fed up. we’ll see.

37. #38 nigelski says:
    April 17, 2007 at 6:17 am

It’s good to see you guys have some ideas on how to improve the team, not that I agree with all of them. I have my own wish list, and here it is…

1- Bury Samsonov in the minors instead of buying him out. I know you’ve all heard me say it before, but buying him out hurts the team’s chances @ the deadline, and when trying to sign UFAs. I don’t care if we have 98 million to spend, he doesn’t deserve $5833333.33 for the season he had. Loan him to an ECHL team, and call him up at a point when we think another team might take him on waivers. Lamorello did the same with guys like mogilny and malakov, and he can still sign guys as ufas…

2- Trade for/sign as a UFA a legitimate #1 center. Unlike many who crap all over Koivu, I’m a fan. I just think he’d be better off as a # 2 guy, especially with the defensive year he just had. Players NOT to get include Gomez, Handzus, and Smolinski; these 3 are not guys to build a team around. I’m not as scared of Briere’s size as others are–the smurf’s got game. I’m not convinced Legwand is for real yet, either, and I doubt Nashville will trade him now that he’s finally producing, in any event.

3- Get rid of Kovalev. His lazy, uninspired play seemed to rub off on others on the team this year, and I get virulently bitter and go into untramelled rages every time I see him give up on a play. Which happens twice a game or more. The guy’s a cancer, and needs to be excised. Too bad it won’t happen. Due to the genius deal Gainey gave this underachiever, we’re stuck with him. The best we can hope for is that he is forced to retire, I suppose.

4- Institute a better system. I don’t care if it’s 2, 3 4, or even 5 forecheckers they use next year. This rope-a-dope defensive system is a terrible thing to behold. Even when winning, the habs were invariably outshot, outplayed, and outchanced this season. Sure, it often seemed like they scored on every good chance, but it sickened me to watch them do zero for 40 minutes most nights. Whether this is a system or a coaching/motivation thing, it isn’t working, and needs to be changed.

5- Get rid of ninnimma, dandenault, downey, bonk, and maybe johnson. I’m in favor of keeping Boullion, though it surprises me that I would ever feel this way. Seeing him man up versus Tucker and Tkchoke during the season, and how he isn’t afraid to throw a hit, have changed my opinion on him. Don’t get me wrong, he’s no Norris candidate, but we need more players with heart, not less.

As I said at the beginning, this is a wish list. Don’t expect major changes, whatever the man behind the curtain says. As Mike Milbury isn’t a GM anymore, don’t expect some team to take a package that includes any combo of Kovalazy, Samsonstiff, Dandenault, Boullion, etc. If a GM actually DID, we’d be getting some refuse in return–count on it. Myself, I worry that any big trade will have to include the likes of Higgins, Komisarek, Plekanec, and others who I feel are ready to take that next step. Because other teams want value in return, not stiffs.

38. #39 smiler2729 says:
    April 17, 2007 at 8:28 am

Let’s just let things unfold as they will. In Gainey We Trust.

39. #40 Joshtm says:
    April 17, 2007 at 10:18 am

Hey Smiler, and the band played on, ya right in Gainey we trust….the Titanic Gainey and his unsinkeable habs…..oh no we don’t need to rebuild, just build. I guess that means a summer of Souray and Dandenault and Bouillon giving lessons on how not to protect your goalie, how to screen your goalie and how to intercept a pass that is going to miss the other teams forward, how to stop it so they can get a quality shot on your goalie…oh yes, Carbo the great defensive coach and his anti-hab defense! In Gainey we Trust! Ya right, another lacklustre season, another crappy year for the habs upcoming, while Gainey plays GM to the farm team instead of playing GM to the Habs!!!!

40. Sorry, after last season fiasco ,”TRUST!” LOL,no ,you have to earn trust. Smiler, I still feel like a rape victim after that last game and trust is no longer avalible !!lol
    Nigelski, again ,nice post. Agreed on Boullion,and there are other ways to get rid of cancers.
    Joshtm,man,It is fun reading your posts! It stirs the pot which serves up more flavor at the table,good on you mate!
    The Habs need that homes on homes dude;tear down to foundation and rebuild rite!Nothing else acceptable,get on it Bob !!!!!!!!!!

41. #42 HABMAN says:
    April 17, 2007 at 11:22 am

Guys:

I just heard that The Score may sign a deal to broadcast up to 12 Hab games for the 2007-08 season in english. I’m not sure if they are only regional, and if that is the case then it would suck but it may be Quebec/East or West. Steve Kouleas told me they are very close to having a deal done though he isn’t sure if it is regional or not. Lets keep our fingers crossed that we will be able to see our Habs outside of Quebec, in english, with balanced coverage and NOT some GD pathetic Leaf homer commentary! GO HABS GO IN 2007-08!!!

42. #43 Frank Doiron says:
    April 17, 2007 at 2:52 pm

I guess its time for me to weigh in here. First of all it was a blessing that the Habs did not make the playoffs. If they had management would have thought that they were on the right track and would not have to make any significant changes. I think this shook them up a little. Now I don’t think this is going to happen but Gainey should re evaluate their system. He hired three defensive coach. Any high scoring UFA will not want to sign with Montreal because if they do they will go from 50 goal seasons to 25-30 goal seasons. The first time he tries to do anything creative, he will be hauled into Carbonneau’s office and told to play defensive. Now I am not a fan of New jersey hockey but that is exactly the kind of team Carbonneau wants. He wants 25 Guy Carbonneaus out there. The reason Montreal looked so enemic in the first period of most games was that they were told not to try and score but to wait for a break and then try to score. Defence, defence defence.This version of the Habs looked terribly lost when trying to play defensive. They are a small team that should be built on speed. When they opened it up they looked on par with most teams. Defensive playing was the reason they were terrible 5 on 5.
    On that basis it doesn’t matter if we get Briere, St Louis, LeCavalier, or Sydney Crosby…. they will all be expected to play defence first and only open it up in the last 5 minutes (if they are behind). I hate defensive hockey, I hate defensive hockey, I hate defensive hockey, I hate defensive hockey, I hate defensive hockey, I hate defensive hockey, I hate defensive hockey, I hate defensive hockey. And if you didn’t get that I HATE DEFENSIVE HOCKEY. I am finding it quite refreshing that Minnesota and New Jersey are behind in their series.
    But will Carbonneau be the man to lead this team in a different kind of system? I don’t think so. Montreal Canadiens should be a synonym for speed (the flying Frenchmen) but they have been absolutely grounded. So if they do not make changes in their system it doesn’t really matter who they get. I’ll bet you a donut that they go after New Jersey players this summer. Oh yeah and one more thing I HATE DEFENSIVE HOCKEY…….. evenif they were to win………

43. #44 Joshtm says:
    April 17, 2007 at 4:59 pm

Habs#1Fan hey! Koivu is so constipated he can’t take a crap for trying, cause hey, your nose is so brown and so deep up his you know what, Sakku says “hey Habs#1Fan, I know I stunk and I need to build, not Gainey needs to build..” interesting eh? How Gainey would twist Koivu’s admission of sucking big time into an excuse for staying the course. I guess Gainey and W Bush there share the same speech writer, heck wouldn’t be suprised if Cheney himself is the big mover and shaker in the Habs, kinda explains why everyone just loves Bouillon, in spite of him sucking big time and giving away half of the passes that cost us the season and put us in the slump. Of course Bouillon had competition for the worst defenseman from Dandenault! I say bring up Sakku’s bro from the states, what are you braindead too Habs#1Fan, I know his bro aint’ in the dogs fool!!! I hope the Red Bull buys out Gillett, might cost Gainey and his VP their job but hey, we gotta get rid of Carbo somehow.

44. #45 Rubberman says:
    April 17, 2007 at 5:08 pm

I strongly believe that Koivu has had his time. He shouldn’t be expected to carry the team. If he’s willing, trade him, other teams would have interest.

Same goes for Kovalev, yes big contract but some teams who need some extra offence would take him. Again, Gainey has to start making calls. I don’t think he’s the type to call anyone. He seems to quiet and reserved.

As for Carbo, this is it. No success this coming yr, he’s gone.

45. #46 Habs#1 says:
    April 17, 2007 at 8:24 pm

Carbo isn’t Scotty freakin Bowman here. He doesn’t have a team chalk full of superstars to work with. And it was his first year of head coaching, he was bound to make some mistakes.

Koivu isn’t a #1 centre. If he’s a #2 behind someone else he would thrive. He’s the best leader the Habs have had since Carbonneau left in 1994. Anyone who doesn’t respect him as a person or a player obviously knows nothing about hockey.

And whenever Joshtm posts anything, the intelligence level on this blog goes down a large amount.

46. Hey Frank,

what was it about defensive hockey you were referring to, I didn’t quite get it yet!

seriously…who in their right mind would ever want to watch that type of game. It was so obvious when Lemaire, Julien were here and now with Carbonneau, that I complained then and I know I would do so again and again, etc.

47. A) Habs #1:

You are absolutely right — Koivu is a leader and a class act. He is the captain and leader of the Habs now and in the future.

Don’t let joshtm get you down — he is not a class act.

B) Nigelski, you are right on with post #38. I agree with your wish list.

C) Frank Doiron, you are also correct in post #43, and I also noticed that the Habs also SUCK at playing “defensive” hockey (despite who their coaches are.) The times when we were all most nervous about the Habs in the past season was when they were trying to sit on a lead — they could never do it. They need to always be pressing or they will continue to lose.

48. #49 Joshtm says:
    April 18, 2007 at 8:55 am

Hey Rob, if Koivu is a class act, then hey, he should be tennis player, this is hockey buddy, where a player has to play with a team, not hog the puck, take individual kamikaze rushes to the net and leave the team behind, have hissy fit hooking penalties after he gets checked and basically outmuscled off the puck. Any coach worth their salt would be happy with Koivu’s scoring and assist record but not his on-ice style. There it had to be said.

49. Joshtm, That’s so funny you said that about Koivu,cause this morning as I woke up ,for some strange reason ,that was exactly what I was thinking.It is a team sport people,A TEAM SPORT !!! And that’s one of the biggest problems with the Habs; and as you watch the other teams compete in the playoffs ,it’s so obvious
    what the Habs are missing…A TEAM THAT CAN COMPETE AS A TEAM AND MAKE IT INTO AND PAST THE FIRST ROUND !!!!T he new Habs ,everyone must compete for a job,contract or no contract,period!!!!!BIG CHANGES ARE COMMING FANS AND IF KOIVU GETS TRADED ,THEN HE GETS TRADED FOR THE TEAM !!!!!