Habs Off Season Changes

• What are the most important moves the Habs need to make in the off season?

Which free agents need to be re-signed?

Which free agents need to be pursued?

Who needs to be brought up from Hamilton?

Which players absolutely must go?

1. #2 Frank Doiron says:
    April 18, 2007 at 12:45 pm

Sam
    I re read my post and I don’t think I made it quite clear. I think it has to do my complete abhorance and disdain for defensive hockey. But I don’t think I made it clear enough. So here goes: I HATE DEFENSIVE HOCKEY!!!!!!!!

2. #3 Joshtm says:
    April 18, 2007 at 1:08 pm

It is sad when Gainey is so out to lunch and unwilling to admit he made a mistake signing some real losers, and keeping on some really crappy defensemen like Dandenault, and his side kick in total incompetence Bouillon!

3. #4 Habs#1 says:
    April 18, 2007 at 5:16 pm

Yes, Gainey can just wave a magic wand when he admits he makes a mistake and all the problems will be solved. He can just magically find someone to take all the players you don’t like.

Do you seriously have nothing in your life other then the Habs? You are seriously OCD josh. Get some help.

4. #5 habsfan_for_life1212 says:
    April 18, 2007 at 7:45 pm

Gainey is smarter then any of you think, he was constantly telling people about how New York was a stanley cup contender and a great team, Was he right or what?? I dont know about tonight but the rangers are defintely goong deep in the playoffs. I should have listened to him and notput money on atlanta ebcasue they on their way to a first round exit.

so lay off gainey!

5. All I can say Gainey knows his stuff. It’s not because a GM is smart that the team will make the playoofs and win the stanley cup. He did his job. He acquired Samsonov who was belived to be a skilled player, but turned out to be a lazy loser that cried everytime he was benched. It’s not Gainey’s fault he signed him for 2 years. What if he would have tuurned out to be a great match with Habs, everyone would’ve been cheering for Bob Gainey. Joshtm , I know you don’t like the staff right now, but what do you wan to do. Sometimes you have to live with it. Bob Ganey is way better than the likes of Savard and the other Garbage GMs we had after 93-94.

6. Hey Frank,

could you say it a couple of times in French…so that it isn’t misconstrued and misinterpreted…just want to make sure it’s crystal clear for everyone…y’know the stuff about defensive hockey!! S-tttzz…want to make sure we cover all corners just in case someone from the organization is actually looking over our shoulders.

7. #8 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    April 19, 2007 at 8:05 am

I’m going to take in a Bulldog’s game this sunday. I have great seats and they are cheap too. Great price for great hockey. Those players play harder than the NHLer’s because they have something to prove. They want it.

Speaking of Price. I will get a chance to see what Price is all about…..

8. ENJOY THE GAME DIE HARD,
    IJUST WANTED TO POINT OUT ,THAT WHILE WATCHING PLAYOFF ACTION,I have witnessed what a real N.H.L. club or clubs do ,one of them being to play hard,for 60 mins!!!It just shows me how bad the Habs are and how big the changes have to be,TRADE,TRADE,TRADE….SELL,SELL,SELL..!…..!!!THIS YEARS MONTREAL CANADIENS WAS THE WORST EVER !!! IF NOT FOR THE ROOKIE’S ,O.M.G.!!!!

9. #10 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    April 19, 2007 at 10:44 am

Thanks. I am bringing my wife and daughter. It will be a fun evening for sure. My daughter has never been to a game of that level before. And she is only 11 yrs. old. But she loves hockey.

10. #11 Joshtm says:
    April 19, 2007 at 11:23 am

Price could be just another Halak waiting for Dandenault and Bouillon to destroy his NHL debut! The kiss of death for any decent goalie, the defense duo of Dandenault and Bouillon!

11. #12 Joshtm says:
    April 19, 2007 at 11:40 am

How can Gainey say he is building the team when he keeps crap like Dandenault and Bouillon? More like letting the team fall apart and die a slow nasty horrible death, Montreal soon to join the ranks of has been teams like Toronto and Philadelphia, never to see a cup ever, ever, ever, ever ever ever ever again….

12. #13 Joshtm says:
    April 19, 2007 at 11:47 am

Hey Jack, if you want an example the Devils, now the devils inherited some pretty crappy stuff cause, hey Lou was learning on the job. But hey, he admitted he made a mistake, admitted he was unable to do anything because of contracts, let them die out and rebuilt. What does Gainey and Carboneau do? They don’t. That is just it, they don’t do nothing. If anything they destroy the team morale, play head tricks with goalies who if they had the right GM and coach would match the likes of Biron with a bit of help and work. But what does Gainey and Carbo do? They stick with the kiss of death, Dandenault and Bouillon, both get a combined ice time that makes any veteran wish they were playing in Montreal if only for ice time. What does Dandenault and Bouillon do with their opportunity? Instead of taking advantage of it and becoming decent defense, play lacklustre lazy hockey! You call that building? You call that SMART? I sure as heck don’t.

13. #14 Joshtm says:
    April 19, 2007 at 5:07 pm

Maybe if we asked George Gillett to move Bob Gainey and Guy Carboneau to Hamilton, and the Habs team, make them the farm team, and move the farm team to Montreal, we could win a cup next year!

14. #15 Habs#1 says:
    April 19, 2007 at 5:11 pm

Instead of making one post you did four in row.

You are seriously OCD.

15. HABS#1, it’s apparent to me at this time any body on this blog who still has an opinion or a post ,mite have o.c.d….

16. #17 Joshtm says:
    April 20, 2007 at 9:35 am

Hey everyone, Habs#1 is providing free online mental health professional counseling, hey Habs#1, if Bob Gainey doesn’t see the same game we are seeing, does that mean he is a)gifted b)smart c)totally out to lunch d)clueless e)post concussion delusional f)don’t know:

So what is it Habs#1 since you seem to be the expert here….

17. #18 Joshtm says:
    April 20, 2007 at 9:40 am

Well since I am OCD I might as well take advantage of Habs#1 professional online psychological service, If so, I would suggest that you get professional help because hey, copycat syndrome is pretty sad, you know, pretending to know someone who you don’t know is pretty sad.

18. #19 Joshtm says:
    April 20, 2007 at 9:42 am

Oh no, this is posting number three that I am making, oh wait, Habs#1 is an online stalker, someone call the Habs fan police cause Habs#1 is also harrasing fans of the habs with online psychological assessments.

Actually this site is for fans of the Montreal Canadiens, not an online support group for OCD Habs#1, and maybe that psycho ward steward there should keep tighter tabs on you to make sure you are taking your meds Habs#1.

19. #20 Joshtm says:
    April 20, 2007 at 9:53 am

Oh My God! Now I am again on Post number 4, this must really make me seriously crazy! Someone call 911, I am nuts for caring about the Habs demise, for giving a damn!

It is sad that Gainey has set his sights on the Dogs literally. Gainey doesn’t give a rats’s arse about the Habs! Samsonov’s and Kovalev’s and early in the year Rivet’s sniping and sniveling remarks show Gainey doesn’t give a shit!

20. #21 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    April 20, 2007 at 9:54 am

RDS & Gazette reporting Markov is favoring Montreal, this is the word according to his Agent: “Agent Don Meehan believes the team has a good chance of signing defenceman Andrei Markov before he becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1.” Don will be Flying to Moscow for the Worlds next week and will speak with Markov, then hopes to have discussions with Gainey when he returns…

21. #22 Habs#1 says:
    April 20, 2007 at 10:12 am

Ha ha ha ha. Always good to see joshtm’s lame brain reactions. You really are the court jester of this site, if you need a laugh all you need to do is provoke joshtm and you’ll get it.

And this is very good news about Markov. But I’m not one to trust Don Meehan. The guy is the Drew Rosenhaus of the NHl, a real slimeball.

22. #23 Joshtm says:
    April 20, 2007 at 5:19 pm

Hey Habs#1 what is the bill for your free online assessment? And you did’nt respond to what serious mental illness Gainey has for not thinking about rebuilding the team instead of building….hmmm….or his delusional emphasis on making sure the Dogs have a good win record as opposed to the habs….

23. #24 Habs#1 says:
    April 21, 2007 at 1:05 pm

How much to get you to finally shut up?

24. How much saved when we get rid of Kovalev, Samsonov,Huet,Abbyshit,Bonk,Murray, Downey,Johnson,Dandanult,Bullion,and Niimamaa????????

25. #26 Habs#1 says:
    April 21, 2007 at 2:13 pm

probably over 20 million. But you aren’t getting rid of all of them. That’s not realistically happening. It’s a nice dream though.

26. #27 Habs#1 says:
    April 21, 2007 at 4:13 pm

If you guys are waiting for big name superstart free agents for the Habs to target, wait for the next two offseasons:

Jarome Iginla, Mikka Kiprusoff, Robyn Regehr, Kristian Huselius(man is Calgary screwed or what?), Dany Heatley, Markus Naslund, Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau(ah oh, San Jose can probably only keep one!), Vinny Lecavelier(oh boy here we go again. He and his florida supermodel wife are happy in Tampa, do you really think she’d want to live in Montreal? See Chris Pronger in Edmonton), Marian Hossa and Henrik Zetterberg will all be UFA’s within the next two years.

Strangely enough this all conincides when all of Montreal’s big contracts run out? Coincidence or strategy? That’s up to you to decide.

27. I do believe that was a Souray shot that broke Sid the Kid’s foot,that Souray has the mother of all shots !!!lol

28. Just finished the Dallas/Nucks game, we made a big mistake getting rid of Riberio,big ,big ,mistake !!

April 22, 2007 at 8:59 am

lol Your kidding right? bahahahaha

30. #31 Rubberman says:
    April 22, 2007 at 10:24 am

If the Canadiens sign Souray, I would make him a forward (centre or wing). He’s a liability on defense, so put him in the front. THere’s the big centreman they’ve been looking for. Just a thought.

I’ll restate what I said last week, trade Koivu. He has had his time. It’s not a matter of disrespecting him, it’s because he has value and he also has attitude. Yes, he beat cancer, he got an eye injury, he did give his all for the team but they didn’t go anywhere. Maybe it’s not his fault, but it’s time for new blood. And, to all you know it alls that think he’s a god, he’s not. He’s good BUT NOT GREAT.

31. NO PACTUM, I’m not kidding ! And these are the reasons…1) Dallas is in the playoff’s !..2)Riberio led Dallas in scoring,Habs scoring ????????????..3)Riberio has turned into a leader for Dallas,thanks to his development years with the Habs in his hometown of montreal !!!…4)Mike Modano say’s so….5) And just because Don Cherry thinks Ribs is a looser,at this point from what Don Cherry has SAID ,AND HIS PRO MAPLE DICKS STANCE ,ANY ONE WHO AGREES WITH CHERRY IS A MAPLEQUEER !!!!LOL

32. #33 Habs#1 says:
    April 22, 2007 at 5:41 pm

Mike Ribeiro is a pansy and gutless. Sure he lead Dallas in scoring……WITH 59 POINTS! BIG FUCKING DEAL! Saku had 72!

Dallas is in the playoffs because they have one of the top 3 goalie tandems in the league in Marty Turco and Mike Smith and the defensive system they play.

Ribeiro is not a leader on the Stars. They have to many real leaders for Ribeiro to be one on that team. He hides in the shadow of Mike Modano, Brendan Morrow, Sergei Zubov, Darryl Sydor, Mattius Norstrom, Jere Lehtinen, Stu Barnes and Jeff Halpern and the fact that no one in Dallas knows who he is.

His career was finished in Montreal, and he still isn’t that great. Dallas can have him.

33. #34 Habs#1 says:
    April 22, 2007 at 5:45 pm

Everyone who wants Gainey and Carbo gone, you are the visible minority and have almost no support:

The vast majority (83 per cent) of Canadiens fans interviewed for a SOM-La Presse poll support Bob Gainey and wish to see him remain as the team’s general manager, Presse Canadienne is reporting. Sixty-three per cent believe Gainey is one of the 10-best GM’s in the NHL and half of fans interviewed see him as the true boss of the Canadiens, ahead of owner George Gillett and team president Pierre Boivin.

Head coach Guy Carbonneau also has the support of fans, with 90 per cent wanting him to be back coaching the team for the 2007-08 season.

As for the team’s two stars, 69 per cent of fans want to see Saku Koivu in a Canadiens uniform next season, while only 50 per cent have that desire for Alex Kovalev.

In general, fans seems to believe the the team is on the right track, with 55 per cent believing the team can win the Stanley Cup by 2009.

Koivu, Carbo, Gainey still loved, Kovalev still hated. Sounds about right to me.

34. Sounding more and more like a Toranna Maple Sucks SITE HERE,Pansey and gutless deplics most of the Habs team and that’s why no playoff action for Habs Fans !!!!
    Our Habs Team is Garbage that NOBODY WANTS AND WE ARE THE LAUGHING STOCK OF THE LEAGUE,so be in denial all you want, in fact ,hypothelicy,if Ribeiro won the cup all on his own you guys would still have the same opinion about him and maybe ,just maybe that’s what’s wrong with this Habs team. WAKE UP HABS FANS !!!!!I’ll tell you what ,I take Ribs and you can have Samsonov ,Kovalev,Niinamaa,Murray,Downey,Johnson and Bonk !!!lol

April 22, 2007 at 8:40 pm

You said it all HABS#1 Yep mikey ribs lead dallas with 59 HUGE points lol.Give me a break.Man i miss the days of ribeiro rolling around on the ice like he had been shot lol.Xhabsfan you need to stop sniffing glue dude 4 REAL.If anyone here sounds like a leaf fan its you.Just read all of the garbage you put on here.Please stop you are embarrasing yourself.Ribiero a leader? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah I think borat said it best when he said “NIIIIIIIIIIICE HIGH FIVE” Grab a helmet dude!!!!!!

36. KOVALEV:47PTS -19
    SAMSONOV:26PTS -4
    murray:3pts -10
    downey:1 pt -6
    BONK: 23PTS -0-
    JOHNSTON:31PTS+6
    They were paid a combined $12 mil this year, for what ?????There not from Montreal and we’re not in the PLAYOFFS!!!!I would laugh back at you,but it’s NOT FUNNY,4REAL !!!!!ALL THE CANADIENS FANS ARE EMBARRASED !!!!!

37. #38 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    April 23, 2007 at 8:08 am

I went to the Hamilton Bulldogs game yesterday. It was a great game. Alot of goals, hitting, roughing. The Dogs won 5-4 14 seconds into to double O.T.

I just don’t know what all the hype is about PRICE. For a goalie who is 6’3″, he is on his knees and awful lot. He reminds me of Huet and that is scarey. All four goals were over his shoulder and all 4 goals he could plainly see as well. There is more life in a door knob than in Price. The Americans scored 3 goals on 12 shots. Pathetic. Price must be watching highlight reels from Huet and Abbyshit games.

Well boys I know that that was only his third game in as a Bulldogs goalie but from what I have seen, mark my words, Price will not be playing in the NHL next year or the year after that. If he does he will be back up to Halak.

I was very disappointed in Price last night.

If Price is the Habs future then the future looks pretty dark.

HALAK is the Habs futrure……………

38. #39 Snake says:
    April 23, 2007 at 8:32 am

Watching the SCORE and seeing them play the SPEZZA goal from last year I finally heard a good analysis of the play. Basically they said that Souray should get credit for at elast rying to stop SPezza while RIvet and Zednik who put souray in that position to start didnt even attempt to stop him. Watch the replay closely Rivet stops skating at the blueline and is only a armlength away from him after th emove yet does not attempt to make a play. Souray went for the hit and missed. BOOHOO! I saw Lidstrom miss a hit last night, only differnce was his de partner backed him up.

39. #40 nigelski says:
    April 23, 2007 at 3:07 pm

Like what you said at 72 & 83 habs#1. I watched that too, Snake, and I have to admit that this was the first good look I got at the other culprits. I didn’t see the game live, and I could tell that two other guys did nothing, but until I saw Zednik’s brutal backcheck, I didn’t know it was him.

Zednik was practically in Spezza’s back pocket for two seconds there, and did NOTHING!! He could have hooked/slashed him (I like the /slashed thing…), pokechecked the stick, pushed him off balance or given him a good bump, or even Perezhogin’d him, but he just watched, after he and Rivet just coasted in.

Still, Souray DID look like a pylon there, with his totally half-heated hipcheck. That’s why he got all the bad press–well, he has been victimized the exact same way a few other times, so that probably figures in as well…

Bit of a barnburner in the last ‘dogs game, but they won despite a pretty decent performance from Craig Anderson @ the other end. Locke got a hat trick, Joshtm’s boy Grabby got the double OT winner, and Price did make 30+ saves. I read that Kostitsyn was sent down with Lapierre, but he wasn’t listed as being on the playoff roster, at least not at AHL.com or whatever. Anyone know if he’s playing or injured? I was kinda thinking of throwing the game on the ‘dogs website and listening to the audio feed in the background tomorrow, just to see how they sound, at least. Until Rescue Me is back on new shows, there’s little else doin’ on a Tuesday night, IMO.

40. #41 Habs#1 says:
    April 23, 2007 at 5:01 pm

DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN give Price time to develop, it was only his 5th proffesional game.

Did you expect him to be perfect right away? The common misconception among Habs fans is that if a player is drafted by them they will be an automatic superstar. He needs at least a full year or two in the minors to work with the goalie coaches(the Habs seem to have pretty good ones) and time to get used to being a pro.

Give him time and have a little faith.

Oh, and people who want Angelo Esposito really badly and not Brandon Sutter, Esposito is starting to be compared to Alexander Daigle and Alexei Yashin. Tons of talent but no drive at all.

41. #42 habsfan_for_life1212 says:
    April 23, 2007 at 8:28 pm

I read this on a talkback today and it opened my eyes to how much Gainey has improved this team. Even JOshtm won’t be able to find away to refute it.
    This is the team that Gainey took over in 03

Craig Rivet
    Patrick Traverse
    Goal:
    Jeff Hackett
    Jeff Hacket
    Jose Theodore

Our habs are a hell of a lot better then 03!!! AMAZING RESULTS FOR 3 SEASONS. Two more and we got a cup!!

42. #43 Habs#1 says:
    April 23, 2007 at 9:01 pm

Thank you habsfan_for_life1212. Someone who finally see’s exactly how much work Gainey has had to do in 3 years and how much he has improved the team.

Has he made mistakes? Absolutely but even the best do at times. But in FA, with trades, with bringing young guys up WHEN THEY ARE READY and at the draft table especially Gainey has done a fabulous job.

April 23, 2007 at 11:21 pm

87 Xhabsfan
    Posted on April 22nd, 2007 at 9:33 pm. About ‘Habs Off Season Changes’.

KOVALEV:47PTS -19
    SAMSONOV:26PTS -4
    murray:3pts -10
    downey:1 pt -6
    BONK: 23PTS -0-
    JOHNSTON:31PTS+6

Thats it thats the problem we should only have white french guys from Montreal on this team!!!
    yes yes that was the trouble all along

Right now back to the real world were we dont give a crap where they come from .

April 23, 2007 at 11:21 pm

87 Xhabsfan
    Posted on April 22nd, 2007 at 9:33 pm. About ‘Habs Off Season Changes’.

KOVALEV:47PTS -19
    SAMSONOV:26PTS -4
    murray:3pts -10
    downey:1 pt -6
    BONK: 23PTS -0-
    JOHNSTON:31PTS+6

Thats it thats the problem we should only have white french guys from Montrealon this team!!!
    yes yes that was the trouble all along

45. Geese, I forgot to mention,the waste of money’s Niinamaa and Abbyshit are, what’s that ? OH ANOTHER 4 MILL!! What about this ,a BACK-UP GOALIE “HUET”FOR 3 MILL !!This is a joke and Habsfan anybody could of improved the team from 03 cause that is like now,bottom of the barrel,not in the play-offs garbage team who’s face was saved by no name rookies,who were signed and scouted by Savard and Houle !!! As mentioned by Gainey in his last press conference with Carbo . I’ve got a joke for the short memoried and short sighted short bogus fans of my team the Habs… How many Habs fans dose it take to change a lite bulb ?? Ans :10,..one to change the bulb and 9 to bitch about how nice the oid ,burnt out bulb was !!!lol

46. #47 Joshtm says:
    April 24, 2007 at 4:36 pm

Hey you Gainey fans, answer me this. How come if Gainey was so good, we lost to Toronto who in turn lost to the worst NHL team for last spot in the playoffs and even then they only got out because of being bumped out by another team, the division we are in was last place in the NHL! Last place. Even our first place team within Montreal’s division would not have gotten in if it was a point system over all.

So again I ask just what good has Gainey done for Montreal? One of the highest paid teams in the NHL and this is what we get for almost fifty million in salaries? Anywhere else Gainey would be walking out with a pink slip buddy!

47. #48 Habs#1 says:
    April 24, 2007 at 5:21 pm

Almost 50 million in salaries? Uh, you do know there is a 44 million salary cap right? So how can you say they’re one of the highest paid teams when every team is about the same?

April 24, 2007 at 7:26 pm

Cause around here the SHIT FLOWS thick from the mouths of some of the so called fans, no matter what happens if it is not a cup they will continue to spew at the mouths.

Now seeing as TB is out there is a good chance that we can snag us a good player, they cant keep all 3 of those guys we know who they are, so let the nego’s begin!

April 24, 2007 at 8:41 pm

Xhabsfan and Joshtm if you never have anything good to say about the habs then why waste your time being a fan.I bet most of the people on this site already know what you two will say next because you say the same thing over and over again.Just look at the 33rd post by joshtm it really shows how much he knows about hockey and who plays on which team lol.Didnt larry bird play for the habs lol.Reading Xhabsfan and joshtm posts use to really get under my skin but now i just laugh and i swear when i read them i hear circus music playing in the background.Oh yeah and by the way dose anyone know how mikko koivu is doing with the hamilton bulldogs these days HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH