Habs Trade Day

• Will the Habs make a move? Will Souray remain a Hab? Is there a goaltender coming after Abeischer’s struggles?

Post your trade day comments and analysis here.

1. #1 smiler2729 says:
    March 1, 2007 at 11:08 am

I’d rather have Sergei Samsonov than Mike Ribeiro. You know which ex-Hab I want back? Arron Asham! He’s a great gritty hard work player, he’s like Aaron Downey and Garth Murray mixed into one but with some occasional scoring touch added, he’s a poor man’s Chris Simon.

2. #2 R habs 4 real says:
    March 1, 2007 at 11:52 am

Here are some reasonable doubts why Bob Gainey is NOT a good GM: Lost Ron Hainsey, 13th overall pick, claimed off of waivers by Columbus. He is still young and leads Columbus defensemen is scoring with 28 points. We have nothing to show for him.

2) Traded Mike Ribeiro for Janne Niinimaa. Ribeiro has 41 points and is +7. Niinimaa has played 31 games, is a -8 and spends most nights watching from the press box. He is an unrestriced free agent that we will gladly lose but will have nothing to show for the trade. I don’t begrudge trading Ribeiro but we have to do better than Niinimaa.

3) JP Dumont wanted to play in Montreal, was willing to accept a hometown discount, has 51 points and is a +9. Yet we were not interested. Instead we actively pursued the likes of Elias and Shanahan, neither of whom wanted to play in Montreal.

4) Instead signed Sergei Samsonov to 3.5 million per season. He has 25 points in 60 games played. We can’t even give him away and his 3.5 million will count against next years cap.

5) Held onto Sheldon Souray who will walk at seasons end. Once again we will have nothing to show for him. Souray’s stock was at an all time high as he is playing for a new contract and big payday. There is no arguing he is having a tremendous season but he will not duplicate this season again productionwise and has always been injury prone. I know we need Souray if we are going to make a run at a playoff spot. However, the reality is that we are an average team at best and don’t have the horses, combined with the injury to Huet, to do any real damage in the playoffs that is providing we actually make it in. (Andrei Markov is another unrestriced free agent at seasons end, wouldn’t it be tragic to lose him as well!? I know he claims that he wants to remain in Montreal but nothing is guaranteed).

6) Traded Craig Rivet for Josh Gorges and a first round pick which seems like a good deal at the time as Rivet is an unrestricted free agent at seasons end. Unfortunately we lost some leadership and toughness in losing Rivet. Ironically we receive a “most sportsmanlike player” (Memorial Cup) in Gorges. Just what we need, another soft player.

When will Montreal’s management realize that we need some size and toughness. We have too many European players and too many small, soft players. We must be the easiest team in the NHL to play against. We definitely don’t intimidate anyone.

I hope Bob proves us wrong but thus far he has given us Habs fans little to cheer about.

3. #3 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 1, 2007 at 11:53 am

Next year I vote we MANDATE flu shots. You would think this day and age this day and age we would be able to avoid this sh*#t, but we are now on our 2nd bout. Is there some sort of a bio-terrorist crazed Leaf-fan trying to sabotaging our playoff chances? Frank perhaps?

4. #4 smiler2729 says:
    March 1, 2007 at 12:17 pm

R Habs 4 real, Bob Gainey didn’t get rid of Ron Hainsey, he was claimed by Columbus on re-entry, meaning the Habs called him up late last November from Hamilton when we were down a couple of defencemen and the CBJs stole him under the new NHL’s stupid re-entry waiver rules (which is why Los Angeles can’t call up NHL calibre goalie Jason Labarbara from the AHL this season cuz they can’t risk losing him this way).

I hated losing Hainsey too and since my wife’s a nutso Blue Jackets fan, I’ve watched him a lot on the Center Ice package and he’s good, or getting better but still very iffy in his own end and YOU GUYS WOULD BE ALL OVER HIM FOR IT IF HE WERE WITH THE HABS much like you’re on Mathieu Dandenault and were on Craig Rivet.

As for J.P. Dumont, can you blame Gainey for preferring to chase down Patrik Elias, Jason Arnott and Brendan Shanahan? Dumont’s a great secondary type winger but is not a go-to-guy which is what Montreal was seeking last summer. I wish you people would get off Sergei Samsonov’s back, granted he’s holding onto his stick too tight and underachieving but to deride him constantly is not helping his brittle psyche (as everyone here has pointed out, this town pretty much eats their own if they falter and is a major reason why not many players wish to come here).

Bob Gainey’s not a perfect GM but neither is Brian Burke but he’s a quality man and he chose to be here where many others would not have the guts to run this team in this market (again, see how we eat our own!)

5. And what about Kovalev sniler0000,lost for words dud.lol.

6. #6 Pico says:
    March 2, 2007 at 5:16 pm

Hey Joshtm

I bet you were complaining about Houle and Savard before that.
    Face it, nobody wants to come here.
    Ever think that Gainey took a chance with Niiniima and Samsonov. Now that he doesn’t take a chance you criticize him also.
    Taxes are the problem. Guess you make below 30k family income :)
    Nuff said again

7. #7 Scott says:
    March 6, 2007 at 6:39 pm

Anybody want to make this a gambling site?! I’ve got a thousand that says the Habs don’t see the playoffs. And I’ve been optimistic honestly! It’s over unless Halak does something otherworldly. This group does not have it. the Bruin (joke) game/effort was the nail for me. Bring up PRICE!!!!

8. #8 Scott says:
    March 6, 2007 at 6:44 pm

How did the once mighty Habs freefall so terribly? It, for me is the hardest year that I remember and I’ve been playing hockey since three and a Montreal fan I’m sure just as long LOL now 37 and so at a loss for words. Please read this blog Bob (ya right) and demote the deadweight and bring up some players with some pride and let us have look at C Price as well

9. #9 Scott says:
    March 6, 2007 at 6:48 pm

Last thing— I will gladly eat crow on this site if my words come back to haunt me and they salvage this year but honestly; HOW? ANYBODY? What a F@%in disgrace.

10. #10 shmillemse says:
    May 18, 2007 at 2:04 pm

never get Sundin He’s old and washed up Leighton nor Abby would never be sent down to replace Halak hes better than both of them and besides Price is there who is Better then all of them As far as Centres go they should get on Briere quick

11. sergei kostityn vien comenser