Habs/Bruins 2009 Playoffs: Game 1

1. #1 Joseph says:
    April 16, 2009 at 9:50 pm

I would’ve liked to have seen them steal Game One, and they certainly were in a good position to do so, but too many missed opportuniteis to gain the lead. That sort of thing plagued them through much of the regular season, and while I was hoping that they’d rectify for the playoffs, they evidently haven’t.

All in all though, an inspired effort by the Habs. And Boston was nervous, despite what they or their fans might say. I guess history has left a mark on them as well.

2. #2 Donnie says:
    April 17, 2009 at 9:06 am

Exactly right Joseph…..letting opportunities go hindered this team in the regular season and it’s the same now, and Boston was nervous. For the first time in a long time, I was’nt….no pressure, the result last night is what is supposed to happen. Still, I’m like you Joseph…..I wanted to see us steal one, and last nights game was it. One PP away from this game we were.
    As big a fan I am, I have to say now, that this game is the closest we are gonna come to the Bruins this series. Giving them a little scare is all we’re gonna muster. Even in coin flip games like this one, the hockey Gods favor the Bruins this season, that’s it. Now, the Bruins will relax, gain that extra confidence, and start playing the way they did all year…..and she’s over boys. This team has goal scoring 3 lines deep, we don’t have scoring 3 players deep….competing in this sense is only fractional. You can only go so far with a team like this is what I’m saying.
    Anyways, good game last night. We are going out with a little respect, and I hope Bob gets busy this summer and starts addressing some of the problems that are harping at this team….cuz boy theres a few.

3. #3 Mats Naslund says:
    April 17, 2009 at 11:26 am

Just about everyone in the world of hockey has written off the Habs going into this series, and while there is plenty of room for pessimism on Friday morning, there is also ample room for optimism.

-The team fought back in a game in which they gave up the first two goals instead of the mid-season-type-collapses we have grown accustomed to. They carried the play for much of the second period, as well as the third until Gorges cross-checking penalty.

-They were very physical. Habs outhit Boston 15-8 in the first period which set the tone early. Laraque got in the face of Chara and Lucic while he was on the first line, and Thornton while he was on the 4th.

-By putting Tanguay on the “4th” line with Metro (who had a fantastic game last night by the way), Gainey was able to generate a goal by Higgins. Side thought: At this point Metro has to rank up there with best waiver pickup in memory for the Habs. This guy is all heart and is such a boost to the penalty kill due to his speed and ability to win in the faceoff circle.

-The 1st line was dynamic, although somewhat cumbersome with Laraque on it. Koivu silences all his critics when the playoffs roll around. Anyone who questions him is NOT a fan of the Canadiens. He is one of my all time favorite Habs, and anyone who disagrees with me can look at his multiple hits on big Z lat night as evidence. He is fearless and exactly the type of guy you want wearing the C for the CH for as long as we can keep him. I cant not mention Kovalev’s goal. How many times have we seen this guy blast shots right into the peanut butter (located on the top shelf – go look for yourself). We need more from Kovalev tomorrow – especially on the PP.

-Komisarek and Hamrlik were both monsters in the game last night. Gone were the blundering passes, and back were the physical plays that made us successful for stretches of the season. They were pounded by the Bruins, and yet kept their cool and distributed the puck – and most importantly did nothing to harm our transition game.

Of course with the loss comes a healthy dose of CH brand pessimism.

-Laraque was good on the first line. He accomplished exactly what we needed him to do which wa negate the presence of Zedano Chara on our forwards. It was a lot of fun watching those two huge dudes crash and bang. That being said – BGL is no Tanguay. I can’t help but cringe when I think about seeing BGL come over the boards with Kovalev and Koivu with about 5 or 6 minutes to go in the third. I understand what Gainey was doing – it is solid strategy – but trailing by a goal with 6 minutes to go, you have to reunite a line that had 16 goals in 10 games prior. I think Gainey is 50 times the coach that Carbo was – but in this instance I think he blew it.

- The Habs had the chance to really do some damage to the Bruins psyche last night. If they win last night, all of a sudden the idea that the Habs will always win in the playoffs creeps back in. I still think if the Habs win game 2 they will be in good shape – but now the pressure is on us.

Last thing – Andrei Kostitsyn needs to go back and look at some tape of his games in the past against the Bruins. Where is that confident swagger? Last night we saw fleeting glimpses. Plex and Him need to remember how dangerous they can be when they pass the puck together. Whether D’Agostini or Sergei is lined up beside them, these guys have too much skill not to use each other.

Oh well, good showing in the first game. We need a split in Boston. If we can get that I really think this will be a long series. Maybe if we can sneak a couple wins we can get Markov back in shape. If not, I think the head games start and we won’t be around long.

4. #4 habknot says:
    April 17, 2009 at 6:33 pm

This was Boston’s one win of the playoffs this year. They played as well as they can; we will get better. At home we will not need BGL on the 1st line, we get the match-ups. The Plek line WILL find their groove, and Tanguay is going to give fits to the BBBs. We don’t need to out-muscle them, just out skate them. I wish we were playing back to back games with one day travel, bears can’t catch foxes.

5. Surely you all jest… (I am serious, and don’t call me Shirley)

The Bruins schooled the habs, who then resulted in goonery and cheap-shots.. Like after the Empty netter, eye gouging, and I just left the mens room at Boston Garden, and I could smell what Laroque was cooking in that game.. The Bruins made him look silly when he tried and tried to goad Chara and Lucic, and they just laughed in his face. The Bruins let the Slabs take cheap shots, then burnt them on the Powerplay. There was only 1 official PP goal, but the 2nd goal came 1 second after the PP ended and the fifth man wasn’t even to the play yet.

B’s in 5.

(They’ll lose game 4 when Handy-Manny Fernandez starts in net on game 4 to rest Thomas).

6. #6 Mats Naslund says:
    April 18, 2009 at 10:16 am

Not exactly sure how you eye gouge with your gloves on Shirley.. Maybe you should look at the tape. While you’re at it you could stop trolling a place you have no business being. You’re right about Chara not fighting Laraque though, the only time he fights is when he has a clear advantage in weight or a ref is holding down his opponent. He’s lucky Laraque doesn’t ignore his smile and re-arrange his face. It would be worth the extra penalty in my books.

7. #7 Joseph says:
    April 18, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Trolling: seeking out a virtual place where there is a high probability that one will find a significant amount of resistence to his or her opinions; stems from feelings of insecurity and/or insignificance in the world; results from the evolution of internet technology in civilised society. also see insecurity, insignificance, ‘instigating’, ‘stirring the pot’, ‘$hit disturbing’, virtual bravery, hiding behind aliases, sociopathic behaviour.

:-)

Just messing with you there, Shirley, but you really should find a new hobby. This one is not suiting you very well at all.

8. #8 Senet1 says:
    April 18, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Shirley sounds like most Americans that do not understand the game or no exactly what is going on. To bad you may have a good team for once, but just remember the cheap shot your guy put on Komesarek from behind last thursday, it remined me of Bertuzzi’s shot from behind that injuried Moore for life. YOur guy was lucky he did not permanently injure Komesarek, or he would have been sitting for a long time. As you know those who live in gless houses should not throw stones.

Otherwise you comments are meaningless and without any bases. So take a hike.

9. #9 Joseph says:
    April 18, 2009 at 9:18 pm

By the way, given the history between these teams, I find it hilarious that a Bruins fan would call the Habs cheap shot artists. Ha! That, folks, is ignorance at its worst.