Halak Attack

• Guy Carbonneau pretty much went on the record saying that Jaroslav Halak will be the goaltender the Canadiens will rely on to get them to the post-season.

Can he do it?

It wouldn’t be the first time the Canadiens try to rely on a hot goalie to get them into the playoffs and even win them a cup.

There’s a lot of pressure on the 21 year old goalie that has barely even played in the NHL.

Looking at the remaining teams in the playoff hunt and their goalies:

Atlanta Thrashers: Kari Lehtonen
    Tampa Bay Lightning: Denis/Holmqvist
    NY Islanders: Rick DiPietro
    Toronto Maple Leafs: Andrew Raycroft
    Carolina Hurricanes: Cam Ward
    New York Rangers: Henrik Lundqvist
    Boston Bruins: Tim Thomas

Not very much experience there with the exception of maybe DiPietro and Cam Ward who is still young and has still never completed a full season. Halak however is the least experienced of all.

It will come down to who gets hot and stays hot down the stretch.

A lot to ask of a rookie goalie.

1. Rob ,do you really want a team with no personality , a la Bobby Bonds ? Pro sports is all about entertaining their respective fans and there’s nothing entertaining about missing the playoffs, especially when it’s a storied franchise such as the Montreal Canadiens. Lets suppose this was a relationship problem and you didn’t want to talk or deal with it,guess what happens ,first your spouse becomes unhappy ,then frustrated ,then indifferent and finally a messy divorce. Is that your spouses fault,hell no ! Fans of the HABS have a different kind of relationship with their team but are suffering the same frustrations and as coach Carbo say’s it’s the players who are responsible. Fans are only guilty of loving their team and by locking them out would only make matters worse. And to blame the rookies ,well talk about passing the buck,their the only ones keeping it interesting at this point.The truth hurts and the truth is most of the veterans on the Habs are useless ,way overpaid ,prima donnas who are getting their just deserts and too bad if they don’t like the heat ,you make your bed you get to lay in it!2FB. Plus ,it’s their lack of effort that’s not only destroyed this team,it has destroyed their careers!

2. Xhabsfan:

Media circuses have killed the Canadiens this year!

#1 First, there was the Latendresse hype before he even potted a single goal or assist in the NHL, and the chants of Gui-Gui-Gui. No one must have told Latendresse because based on his mediocre play, he forgot to show up for the “Mission accomplished” press conference on this one!

#2 Samsanov whines to the media that he wants off the team! Game # 20 roughly.

#3 Gainey’s family tragedy. This was a tragic but legitimate real life event that had to be covered by the media.

#4 Samsanov whines more that we wants to get off the team! Close the doors, and have your fricken’ conversations in private, people.

#5 Aaron Downey goes in front of the camera, and reports that he (and not Sidney Crosby) has the secret on how to be the best hockey player in the world or at least, in Haamilton.

#6 Sheldon Souray trade watch, and why didn’t Gainey buy or sell.

#7 French media start sorting through Gainey’s private phone conversations to other GMs to further second guess him.

#8 French media start accusing Kovalev of giving interviews in Russia that no one can find.

Media ban time!

3. Rob ,what’s the numbers on the jersey’s the media are wearing in tonight’s game for the Habs? All I see is the same useless veterans doing nothing, maybe they can score 5 on 2 ! Come on Rob get real , when it smells like poo and it looks like poo ,its poo !

4. PULL THE KID CARBO AND SAVE HIS CAREER ,MAN~!

5. #5 R habs 4 real says:
    March 8, 2007 at 8:08 pm

Guys, I made a big mistake tonight! I turned on the tv to watch the game.
    It’s now 4-0 and counting. the rout is on! I have a prediction: THE HABS WON’T WIN ANOTHER GAME THE REST OF THE SEASON!!!!!!
    I hope Atlanta wins 10-0 tonight!

6. #6 R habs 4 real says:
    March 8, 2007 at 8:11 pm

HABS ARE A JUNIOR B TEAM, AT BEST! LET THE HAMILTON TEAM PLAY THE REST OF THE SEASON! THEN MAYBE THEIR REMAINING RECORD WOULD BE 1-12.

7. #7 alex theriault says:
    March 8, 2007 at 8:20 pm

HABS.OMG.. CARBO U SUCK… holy shit.. 6-0.. is Halak realy the BEST u COULD DO???… going into trade deadline… you knew … you knew Huet was GONE FOR THE SEASON… and the best the habs could do on trade..DEADLINE WAS GEORGES??? GIVING UP A HUGE PLAYER IN RIVET.. FOR A NONAME WHO IS NOW IN THE MINORS????.. OMFG… thank god latendresse scored… now i fell 1/6th better… STILL.. HABE NEED TO GET ACTIVE IN TRADE DEADLINES… IM SICK AND TIRED OF WATCHING THE HABS LOSE NIGHT “IN AND NIght OUT… I MEAN C’MON… GANIEY AND CARBONNEAU SHOULD HAVE FIGURED SOMETHING WAS WRONG WHEN PLEKANEC IS YOUR BEST PLAYER ON YOUR TEAM… HABS NEED TO WIN….NEED TO WIN! … THAT WAS a rant… i feel better..

8. Wow Rob ,so insightful ,the press really sucks tonite ,anybody seen reporter Kovalev at4.5 million ,or reporter Samsonov at 3 million,or any of the high priced press? Ah look a rookie at minimum wage scored,you guys should re-evaluate your thought’s,your not reading very smart.

9. #9 alex theriault says:
    March 8, 2007 at 8:27 pm

ROB i know what ur saying… but THATS STILL NO EXCUSE FOR THE HABS BEING DOWN BY 5 ON A NIGHT WERE THEY HAVE TO WIN…. IF THEY CANT BEST SAINT LOUIS ON SAT…. WE F*()(**9#$#^ SUCK.

10. #10 Jose says:
    March 8, 2007 at 8:33 pm

Wow, great to see the habs step up their effort in such a big game.

11. #11 R habs 4 real says:
    March 8, 2007 at 8:43 pm

Carbo is shaking his head. He can’t believe how horrible his team is. But I guess he’s saying to himself:” PLEASE LET THE SEASON END, PLEASE!”
    I think Muller and Jarvis are embarrassed to be coaches for this Junior B team.
    They probably feel like the fans,:DISGUSTED AND ASHAMED TO BE A HABS FAN!

12. #12 Jose Theodore says:
    March 8, 2007 at 8:45 pm

Who’s glad Halak is in net instead of me now?

13. #13 Gui-Unit says:
    March 8, 2007 at 8:46 pm

This team is a disgrace to the organization…

14. #14 R habs 4 real says:
    March 8, 2007 at 8:50 pm

I wonder what excuses the players will give for this loss.: “WE HAD TOO MUCH TIME OFF AND WE’RE STALE. WE HAD TOO MUCH TIME TO PREPARE!”It’s probably the same old tired excuses! Too bad, because they really could have gained ground tonight, IF ONLY THE TEAM HAD SHOWN UP,AND PUT SOME EFFORT IN THEIR GAME!
    I wish the Atlanta players would coax each and every hab into a fight, and beat the habs’ heads to a pulp! WAKE UP, YOU PATHETIC FUC@#$%^EN PIECES OF USELESS MANURE!

15. #15 Craig Rivet says:
    March 8, 2007 at 9:00 pm

Thank you Bob for getting me off of that sinking ship. I appreciate it enough to consider re-signing in the summer. Of course I won’t because it’s a sinking ship but thanks for the get out of jail free card.

16. #16 Sheldon Souray says:
    March 8, 2007 at 9:15 pm

Hey Craig, what did you say to get out of here? I am stuck! THESE GUYS SUCK! Sure, I only have a big shot but everyone wants to play with good players and I am not getting that here. I am going to have to sign in Anaheim this summer.

17. #17 OncEaHaB says:
    March 8, 2007 at 9:16 pm

Man, this is embarassing…. This team has no self-confidence. There better be some major changes made from the putting green this summer or we could end up the laughing stock of the league a-la-Flyers…

18. The Flyers are going to have a great team next year ,young and big with talent. Habs on the other hand could not give away their best players so,they are screwed.

19. Like I said before,and I’ve been a Habs fan for over 40 years,this is the worst Canadiens team I have ever witnessed.

20. #20 OncEaHaB says:
    March 8, 2007 at 9:26 pm

They might as well have forfeited this game, they were a bunch of no-shows tonight. Its pretty sad to see that not one player seems to care about making the playoffs. They all believe their season’s over and they’ve given up.

21. #21 OncEaHaB says:
    March 8, 2007 at 9:30 pm

I’d love to see the fruit basket Hartley is going to send Carbo for helping them secure first in the south east.

22. #22 R habs 4 real says:
    March 8, 2007 at 9:35 pm

Since the team has given up, how do they expect the fans(or what’s left fans), to care? And the sad thing is, PHILADELPHIA WILL BE BETTER THAN US NEXT YEAR!
    They can sign UFA’S and we can’t. Next year we’ll finish in 15th place! You’ll see. Gainey sent the team a message at trade deadline: “we’re not good enough to make the playoffs, therefore I won’t get the team any help”. So they figured, if Gainey has given up hope for us, we might as well not play the rest of the season!

23. #23 OncEaHaB says:
    March 8, 2007 at 9:43 pm

Philly will be better if nothing changes. Gainey’s got to do something, this team is obviously not going to cut it. Sadly, I have a feeling nothing will change, and R habs 4 real may prove to be correct when they drop the puck in the fall.

24. #24 R habs 4 real says:
    March 8, 2007 at 9:57 pm

I’ve watched this team for 40 years, and this is, by far, the WORST team I have ever seen! They are just a sorry excuse for a hockey team!
    I certainly hope fans boycott the rest of their home games, because they don’t deserve any support! I want to see a half full bell centre! FANS, SEND THIS TEAM YOUR MESSAGE! YOU’RE FED UP, AND YOU’RE NOT GOING TO ACCEPT THIS BEHAVIOR ANYMORE!!!

25. It’s contract buyout time Bob Gainey,see ya Kovalev and Samsonov ,enjoy the rest of your careers in Europe,you have only yourselves too blame.Just got replaced by young french guy’s ,lol.

26. #26 Dalley1 says:
    March 8, 2007 at 10:24 pm

Well guys I got egg on my face. I predicted a huge win for Montreal tonight. Boy was I wrong.

As much as I hate to say it “our season is over for sure now”. What else can I say but I agree with what one person said in here before. This is rigged. How can a team go from great to piss poor? Was it a fluke that they won before X-mas? NO. These players are throwing these games. You can see it. They are just giving up the puck for no reason. It is a complete and utter disgrace. I have never been so ashamed to be a Habs fan. If the Fans in Montreal had any guts they would not go to another game this season. The fans should bycot the bell centre. They should picket were the players enter the Bell Centre and show them that they are pissed and this team is a disgrace.

27. #27 Drive_4_25 says:
    March 8, 2007 at 10:35 pm

It’s a sad sad sad day!

28. #28 R habs 4 real says:
    March 8, 2007 at 10:39 pm

the party’s over! and we didn’t even have fun! Let see,what other team can I start routing for? Maybe Vancouver. At least they play hard and don’t quit!

29. #29 Dalley1 says:
    March 8, 2007 at 10:45 pm

Well I guess with no hockey this spring I will have to spend more time with da wife………..

Damn you Habs…..Damn you to hell…………….

30. @ Xhabsfan:

Ouch! That game hurt! They should have been rested and ready too!

Back to my point on the effects that the media have had.

You and I are actually saying the exact same thing so I really don’t know why you are disagreeing with me on that. Perhaps you really don’t think it damages the relationships within the team when Sammy goes running to the media (instead of speaking behind closed doors) to say that he wants off the team early in the season when the team is actually doing well. Since that episode, it has been one media induced embarassment after another. The T-E-A-M concept has been destroyed. It is now every man for himself!

Or perhaps, you see what I am saying, and are just looking to pick an argument for argument’s sake to take out your frustrations. If so, I hear ya!

I am not allowed to talk to the media about how much I hate my employer so why are these guys allowed to do so? If the Montreal franchise and the fans in Montreal knew what was good for salvaging any face on this team, they would welcome a media ban effective immediately.

The really sad part is that lots of Canadian kids like Sidney Crosby grow up dreaming of one day playing with the red, white and blue on their backs. Whatever the reason is that motivates these players to talk about how much they loath being on the Canadiens, they should remember that they are tarnishing a kid’s dream everytime they are allowed to open their stupid mouths!

31. #31 Dalley1 says:
    March 8, 2007 at 11:44 pm

The season is over why talk about this shit anymore. We are beating a dead horse.

You should know that the Media run the Habs. Maybe they are part owners?

This was one screwed up year that I would like to forget.

32. Agreed! Certain players on this team should not be allowed to play another game in a Habs’ jersey. Those players know who they are! They have damaged the T-E-A-M concept for this year beyond repair. Even if they cannot be given away to another team, the Habs should force them to serve hot meals in a homeless shelter or something in order to receive payment on their contract.

33. I actually feel sorry for Carbonneau and Muller. They deserved better support as rookie coaches! You could tell that Carbonneau wanted to win; he just didn’t know how to get that message through to his players. The antics that he had to resort to at times were uncharacteristic of those he displayed as a player. He really had some bad eggs/prima donnas to work with though.

I would vote to keep Carbonneau and Muller, and use the remainder of the games to decide who gets to stay on this team for next year. The others can go work in a soup kitchen until their contracts with the Habs expires for all I care!

34. #34 stevejur says:
    March 9, 2007 at 12:59 am

Bring back Patty Burns movement begins!

35. #35 LJ55 says:
    March 9, 2007 at 1:04 am

What a disgraceful effort by most of the players on this team, does anyone on the ice take any pride in putting on that jersey? what’s really the sad part is most fans can live with our team losing as long as they give there best effort, unfortunately this cannot be said on most nights and that’s why we are losing, we get out worked on a nightly basis. they should have played like it was a playoff game instead they played like it was pre season.

the media has nothing to with this teams lack of effort, i can’t believe some of the excuses people come up with. unreal really. the player’s are responsible for there own on ice performances people can try to lay the blame elsewhere if they like, but in the end the players are the ones lacing up the skates and playing the game. i hope our youngsters don’t pick up the bad habits of some of our veteran players.

36. #36 OncEaHaB says:
    March 9, 2007 at 1:05 am

Forget a soup kitchen they should be where they belong in the crapper with the shit!!! Maybe if they had to scrape shit out of toilets they could scrape together a decent effort on the ice!

37. #37 Rob says:
    March 9, 2007 at 1:26 am

stevejur:

With all due respect,

I fear that even Pat Burns (an ex-cop) would have difficulty with that lot of spoiled prima donnas. Montreal has got to learn their lesson from the last decade with Julien, Vigneault, Therrien, etc. At some point, you have to stop firing quality coaches, and deal with the real problems!

38. #38 Maxim Lapierre says:
    March 9, 2007 at 3:31 am

I dont have any offensive production since December and I am lost in the defensive zone in teh last 3 weeks. My shot is bad and my cordination is questionable for a midget player yet I still have a secured spot on this team. Thank goodness Im french canadian.

39. #39 habs phan says:
    March 9, 2007 at 3:49 am

WATCH OUT PHILLY, WE’RE COMING FOR YA!!!! *#@!*$G JOKE OF A TEAM, AND I JUST RE-ORDERED RDS ON MY DIGITAL CABLE. WHAT A WASTE. MAN I’M PISSED!!!!

40. #40 alex theriault says:
    March 9, 2007 at 6:01 am

…hey RDS isnt that bad… they still have senator games……..

41. #41 LeBeau says:
    March 9, 2007 at 6:50 am

Okay, I stand corrected and I change my mind. Halak doesn’t deserve to be humiliated by closing out the season with this f@

42. #42 LeBeau says:
    March 9, 2007 at 6:51 am

Okay, I stand corrected and I change my mind. Halak doesn’t deserve to be humiliated by closing out the season with this freakin’ team. I was wrong, no good experience can come from having to play behind a team like that. Send him back to Hamilton to finish the season (because I’m planning to go see a Hamilton game) and let Aebischer go down with this ship. Leighton can back him up. Or you know what? Why not throw Leighton into a game to see if he can be the miracle worker? At this point, aren’t we just throwing darts with a blindfold on? God, I’m so frustrated!

43. #43 Drive_4_25 says:
    March 9, 2007 at 7:29 am

I keep waiting to see when the gazette’s coverage of the habs will start being posted in the comics!?!

44. #44 alex theriault says:
    March 9, 2007 at 7:45 am

HABS will make the playoffs.. abby will lead them… habs will win the cup…and be the first junior B team ever to acomplish that feat!
    !

45. #45 ushabfan78 says:
    March 9, 2007 at 8:57 am

Huet sure looks a lot better to me right now

46. #46 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 9, 2007 at 9:58 am

Hey can’t we look at the bright side… we most likely will not have to give any of our players raises to keep them??? They probably will need to take pay cuts to stay in the NHL or AHL for that matter!LOL Hopefully the psyche of the younger guys is not too damaged they’ll need to overcome this disastrous 2nd half of a season… Well guys,the pressure is off at this point no one on the planet believes you can recover from this free fall; I would love to be proved wrong!

Proposal:
    Should we give up on them? It sure seems like they’ve given up on themselves… and at this point the season. Or should we be like a nurturing parent, fighting for a child hooked on heroine? Stay up late nights, wondering how to bring back the child they once knew, laughing and playing in the back yard within that white picketed fence. Ultimately, the parent realizes they can only sit back and watch while their child will need decide to change their lives for themselves. Usually it’s when they hit rock bottom!

Losing is a disease and the only treatment winning!
    I would like to invite every to support my imitative in the building the Hab-Hockey Rehabilitation Clinic (HHRC).

(HHRC) will be a place where players can escape the pressures of the Lapresse and joshtm anonymously and work to regain there winning ways. This program runs from January to April and deals with issues and needs of winning the Stanley Cup.

~Motivational experts will include a countless amount of historical hockey greats with names like Béliveau, LaFleur, Roy, Robinson, Dryden, LaPointe, Cournoyer, Naslund and many more.
    ~Sessions of video of the last 24 Cups will be imbedded in each patient in a barrage of repetitive viewings, so the cravings for the Cup of Lord Stanley will be insurmountable.
    ~Group sessions with other players will join in group discussions about the teammates.
    ~Team building activities to build trust and confidence.
    ~Rink time to work on every aspect of there game.

Well the first step is to admit we have a problem! Anyone with me?

I am coutNY and I am a HABS Fan!

47. CoutNY, unfortunately the healing process can’t start until the athlete’s ,coaches and management step up and take accountability for this mess. You know ,stop blaming every thing under the sun for what has happened to this team ,cause that shit don’t fly anymore.And anyboby that doesn’t realize that is ignorant of the rebuilding process and maybe should just watch a listen and enjoy the game.

48. #48 Joshtm says:
    March 9, 2007 at 11:49 am

Xhabsfan, the slow rebuilding goes on then. I guess Gainey’s plan is to force Kovalev and Koivu to retire, but by then the rookies will have picked up the bad habits, look at what happened to Dandy and Boully as an example. That is our future?

In Dallas the changes were quick and they worked. Unfortunately for all the excuses we make, we don’t see any quick changes here.

49. #49 Aurel1 says:
    March 9, 2007 at 12:10 pm

If we are rebuilding we should have traded away Souray for some draft picks or young guns. He stated after the trade deadline that he was happy that he was not traded as they were going to make the payoffs. Since then the team has gone for a sh*t. The weak goaltending has exposed their defensive flaws. Last night was sad to watch. Kovalev, as well as several other players, certainly looked like they have given up. Carboneau looks like one of those dogs you see in the back windows of cars, simply shaking his head. He does not seem to have any solutions or ability to motivate the players. The same problem the last three coaches had, which by the way, they all seem to be doing well with their new clubs, Vancouver, Pittsburgh and New Jersey. Hey, maybe its the players that are the problem!.

50. #50 R habs 4 real says:
    March 9, 2007 at 12:20 pm

I woke up this morning thinking I just had a nightmare. But unfortunately it’s reality!
    This team can’t sink much lower. For all those optimists who still think we can pull off a miracle and make the playoffs because we’re only 1 point out of 8th place, look at it this way: WE’RE ONLY 3 POINTS OUT OF 13TH PLACE!
    Yeah, the players must have a bet on, hoping to finish in 13th place. Any takers? THE WHOLE TEAM!
    And now to add insult to injury, Carbo is putting AEBISHIT in for tomorrow’s game. I don’t understand why they don’t call up Leighton! What the hell did they get him for? Now I REALLY WANT CARBO FIRED!
    Gainey can’t be serious about retaining a coach, with a team finishing out of the playoffs, and a below 500 record. It will be the same crap next year!
    We’re going to have the same shi@#$&y players! So what’s going to change?
    Even if we get a couple of low number draft picks, we won’t know for at least 2 years if they’re any good. This team needs some instant stability or all the fans will dissapear. Yes I know it will take time, but why are the fans going to want to come to a game? because of Markov or Bouillon? oh sh#^t!
    Without a marquee player, you’re dreaming!
    My fears are that we will become the 2nd coming of CHICAGO. Look how many years they have had a lousy team. That’s us for the next several years!
    But at least they have a marquee player in HAVLAT! Who do we have? Youppi.