Hanging around

• Despite some very ugly hockey and 4 consecutive losses, the Canadiens are still only 1 point out of a playoff spot.

How can that be?

Well this is partially due to the Bruins and Leafs and the other bottom dwellers not being able to put together any wins either.

Why?

They are just as bad as the Canadiens.

This isn’t a race for 1st. The Habs are not battling for the President’s Trophy, the Conference or even the Division. They are battling for 8th spot with other bad mediocre teams complete with of their own share of issues and problems.

Last time I checked the medals being handed out stopped after Bronze. There’s no glory and reward in fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh and last of all eighth.

8th spot is the 7th loser, but the fact remains 8th spot in the NHL is as good as 1st when it comes to getting in to the playoffs. The cliche that the playoffs are a new season altogether is true. The Habs of all teams should know this after upsetting the 1st and 2nd seeds in recent playoff campaigns.

The gap between 1st and 8th may be worlds apart, but is the difference between 8th, 9th and 10th spot that much?

Next time you are frustrated with how bad the Habs are playing, turn on a Bruins game or even better – Canada’s favorite Leafs. Then remember at this point their competition isn’t the Sabres, Devils, Senators or Predators but the other impaired teams surrounding them.

The Leafs have their Stanley Cup engraver on call from the first puck drop off the season. The Canes actually WON the Cup last year. The Rangers have players like Jagr and Shanahan. The Bruins with Savard and Chara – and here the lowly Canadiens are still sharing space in the same boat.

Who wants it more? The team that will play for 8th spot like their playing for 1st overall.

Is that the Canadiens? It doesn’t look like it.

But until all the little x’s and y’s are up on the NHL standings indicating the clinched teams, there is still a chance.

1. #1 groundworking says:
    March 9, 2007 at 1:31 pm

There’s a lot of good points in this thread, but the fact is that the Canadiens have been one of the worst teams in the NHL since December. They don’t even belong in the same category as Toronto, New York and Carolina. They are absolutely horrible and this is probably the worst, most heartless Montreal Canadiens team that I have watched since I started following them in 1985. I don’t mean to repeat predictions, but I was pretty sure a month ago that they were done, and I’m almost positive now that they won’t finish anywhere near playoff contention. At the end of this year, the Canadiens will finish behind Carolina, Rangers, Leafs, Bruins and possibly even the Panthers. This is a disgrace to the uniform, and I really don’t know what they’re going to do to improve on the situation for next year. They currently have the bulk of their payroll being occupied by deadwood, so there’s not much room to manoeuvre.

2. #2 JonoPEI says:
    March 9, 2007 at 1:41 pm

Very well said. It’s really too bad they are playing so terribly lately. This site was a lot more fun before Christmas.

3. #3 habs#1fan says:
    March 9, 2007 at 1:43 pm

I think 7th and 8th will be:
    Carolina for sure will occupy one spot, with Cole being back and if Whitney can return, they are in.
    Hopefully the other spot will go to the Habs, but if not please let it be ANYONE but the friggin Leafs. Please God. I beg of you NOT the Leafs.

4. #4 alex theriault says:
    March 9, 2007 at 1:47 pm

i agreee but we have SAINT LOUIS on saturday… if we beat saint louis .. we MIGHT gain some confidnece.. i just hope.. Plekanac and Latendresse .. can get them fired up.. and the leafs ahve been playing bad all season .. and im still a habs fan no matter if they make the playoffs or not… Personaly i think that Carbo should start YELLING at them rather then shake his head.. (which i saw him do so many times againts the Thrashers) they need diciplin and direction.. not some one who seems like the season is alredy over.. some one needs to SLAP him and tell him that the habs are only ONE POINT out of the playoffs.. and CAN come back..OH AND LEAFS SUCK HAB BALLS

5. Here’s another idea.

Time the pressure off, and give some of these prima donnas what they want, an early golf season! Bring in some the guys from Hamilton, and make it clear to them that there is absolutely no pressure and no way that they can fail the big club because the grown ups have already done that.

Once a team starts letting other teams leap frog them at this point in the season, it becomes very hard to get back to eighth because eventually one of those other teams will get hot, and it doesn’t look like it will be the Habs! Incidently, St. Louis is 7-2-1 in their last ten games!

The biggest problem this season was the lack of discipline shown by the players. However, all that peripheral stuff (that some people think doesn’t really matter) from the media coverage to Youppi should be subject to criticism, and adjustments made for next season.

Here’s the heros this year: Koivu for coming back to play after nearly being blinded! Bob Gainey for coming back to manage shortly after a huge family tragedy, and showing his usual calm composure in tough times! Sheldon Souray for actually still giving a damn! Tomas Plekanac for making an amazing play to poke check Sidney Crosby and setting up a beautiful, overtime game winner. There, that’s what you guys actually missed. Crosby did not screw up, Plekanac outplayed him.

Zeros this year: Sergei Samsanov, enough said! Alexei Kovalev for just being Alexei Kovalev. The French Media for their pathetic attempts at trying to make this Watergate (instead of hockey!) Gui Latendresse for not admitting that, in fact, he is really not that good YET. Joshtm and the rest of the team that gave up too early! All those fans in Montreal who jeered Sidney Crosby because the truth is that if any more than two of the current Habs actually showed the passion, effort and grit that Crosby does, we wouldn’t be here!

6. Sorry, that should have read: “Take the pressure off,”

7. There is only one hope left, that something will inspire and unite the team in spirit and confidence. When the make-up of a team is better on paper than on ice then there is a confidence issue and a sense of playing hockey in a prevent the major error style of play which leads to individual plays rather than team effort.Perhaps the fans could get involved as more than just band wagon enthusiasts and put some of the loyalty back in their attitude . No one on this site will ever be paid to play in the Bell Centre alongside great teams in the NHL, in fact we won’t even come close to understanding the high octane world of the professional athlete. For the Habs at this point chemistry is everything and it is gone for the momentleaving only dread in its wake. They should look at the former firewagon hockey players who played with joy, abandonment and fearlessly in pursuit of excellence and more often than not when they played with that kind of passion ordinary players elevated their game to the sublime and the Habs clawed out out a victory.

Michael

8. #8 Alestar says:
    March 9, 2007 at 3:40 pm

And to think, I was considering to paint my sons room with the “official” Habs paint and border…looks like I’ll have to go with “Hot Wheels”!

Goddamn, is it frustrating watching the Habs drift around the ice aimlessly these past few months. Latendresse lookes like one of those Beer League players (my apologies to all my fellow Beer Leaguer’s out there…no offense!) who never back checks and only skates if the puck is within 2 feet of him.

He is the poster boy for the complete lack of effort and drive on this team right now.

Right now I don’t even care about making the play-off, I just want to see the Habs play some NHL level hockey.

9. #9 Habs#1 says:
    March 9, 2007 at 4:15 pm

The rebuilding process must begin immediatly. Kovalev and Samsonov must be bought out, put on waivers or traded. Koivu stays. This team lives and dies with him. When he’s injured or playing poorly(because he’s not a #1 freakin centre! He dosen’t have the physical tools to play that spot and he’s worn down), the Habs suck. When he’s on the team is on. If they can get a centre to share the load with him this team will be a lot better.

Carbo needs to bring in an assistant coach who knows how to coach offence cause he dosen’t. They only send two forecheckers in and no one goes to the net hard were most of the loose pucks are cause they’re hanging around the blueline playing defence. But Carbo isn’t getting fired. You don’t fire a coach after less then a year on the job. That’s stupid. That’s the type of panic move that’s gotten this team in trouble in the past.

And don’t jump all over Halak. It’s only his 7th NHL game, and he’s only played one year in the AHL. He’s only 20 years old. He’s not Ken Dryden and
    he’s not Patrick Roy. He’s Jaroslav Halak. Give him a break.

This teams playoff hopes died with Huet’s Hamstring. Time to turn this rebuilding yet still trying to make the playoffs strategy that isn’t working into a full blown rebuilding with all young guys(but keep Koivu cause every team needs a veteran player for leadership: Pittsburgh has Gary Roberts and Mark Rechhi for a reason). This team has a life threatening cancer growing in it daily and Gainey will need to preform major life saving surgery in the offseason for there to be any hope not just for now but for the future.

And good on Cournoyer and the Pocket Rocket for telling the French Media to shut up. They do drive FA away. It takes a special player to acctualy want to play in the biggest fishbowl in hockey. The majority of NHL players, especially a lot of the superstars(If Joe Thorton counldn’t handle it in Boston he’s be crying within a week in Montreal), don’t want to deal with all the crap the media dumps on them in MTL. That reporter sneaking into Koivu’s hospital room to take a picture of him injured is an example of why no one wants to play in MTL.

10. #10 Rob says:
    March 9, 2007 at 4:22 pm

Sorry, one last hero to mention for this past season… Cristobal Huet!

I am sorry that I criticized your play early on in the season. I did not see that you were actually starting your ascent into the realm of the hockey gods, a group of players like Crosby and Gainey that you just don’t criticize because it ends up reflecting poorly on you (not them.)

I see now what I had clearly missed then! I was consumed by Montreal’s philosophy of eating their own. Please remove the pox that has befallen the Habs crease! Get healthy for next season because for the foreseeable future, you are clearly the starting goaltender; there can no longer be any doubt.

11. #11 Rob says:
    March 9, 2007 at 4:25 pm

Habs #1:

You are spot on with post #9. Well said!

12. #12 coutNY_HabsFan says:
    March 9, 2007 at 4:39 pm

Habs#1, That would be pretty generous of Mr. Gillettes parting with that much money buying out Kovy and Sammy’s fortunes. I’d be willing to say notta on that happening. $7 million is a tough pill to swallow, even if it’s just a drop in the bucket for him… I think we need another solution.

13. #13 R habs 4 real says:
    March 9, 2007 at 6:00 pm

Oh, BTW, ROB: Huet was not a savior. In fact, he is part of the problem. He is a MEDIOCRE goalie, at best! In his last 15 starts, he was 5-12 !. Pretty bad!
    Even if we had Brodeur, we still would be a shi#$^&*y team! And KOIVU is part of the problem. Heart? He wouldn’t know it if it bit him in the ass! What’s the most amount of goals he has ever scored in 1 season? about22? And he’s being paid 4,25 mil/season for that? He should return it, because not worth half of it. Talk about being a leader? All he does is give excuses after every loss. How about taking some of the blame and telling the truth!This is what he should be saying:” WE STINK AND HAVEN’T PUT OUT ANY EFFORT! WE DESERVE TO BE BOOED AND ARE ASHAMED OF OUR BEHAVIOR. WE DON’T DESERVE FAN SUPPORT . WE HAVE LET DOWN ALL OUR FANS,AND FOR THAT I APOLOGIZE FOR MY LACK OF EFFORT AND EMOTION,AND THAT OF THE TEAMS”! Leaders show up, and show desire and emotion. He has shown nothing, except contempt from the fans! It would be a HUGE mistake to keep him. Where have we finished with him in the lineup? NEVER ABOVE 7th OR 8TH PLACE! Souray is a leader, and Koivu pales by comparison to him. At least Souray isn’t afraid to tell the truth, and always there to answers questions. Koivu is a wimp, and a mediocre player at best!

14. #14 Habs#1 says:
    March 9, 2007 at 6:01 pm

What. Have them on the team next year, produce another solid 60 points between the two of them with 20 goals and pay them 7 million.

They have to go. Any way, any where. They go.

15. #15 Rob says:
    March 9, 2007 at 6:44 pm

Koivu is the heart and soul of the Habs. He is not a big player, and cannot take the beatings that he does.

Sammy and Kovy should not be welcome back. If they are back next year, a lot more fans will just tune out! 14 responses in a day is an all time low since I have been visiting this site.

16. #16 Mike Ribeiro says:
    March 9, 2007 at 8:12 pm

Hey guys,

just wanted to check in from Dallas. I am getting ready for the playoffs. I see that things have not been going so well lately for the habs. I am not really surprised. They trade me for an even worse player. Who does that?

Anyway, enjoy the early golf ladies. I’ll send you postcards from the playoffs.

17. #17 Dalley1 says:
    March 9, 2007 at 9:34 pm

Well guys I got egg on my face. I predicted a huge win for Montreal last night. Boy was I wrong.

As much as I hate to say it “our season is over for sure now�. What else can I say but I agree with what one person said in here before. This is rigged. How can a team go from great to piss poor? Was it a fluke that they won before X-mas? NO. These players are throwing these games. You can see it. They are just giving up the puck for no reason. It is a complete and utter disgrace. I have never been so ashamed to be a Habs fan. If the Fans in Montreal had any GUTS they would not go to another game this season. The fans should go to the bell centre & picket were the players enter the building and show them that they are pissed and this team is a disgrace.

18. #18 softouch says:
    March 9, 2007 at 9:44 pm

Well spoken HB … there is a chance, tho I am not confident …

We know that Souray will be gone next year, and we know we have some future depth in goal, and we know we do not need two “hands” guys, so I expect Kovy will be gone (but man when he wants to play he can) and believe it or not, I think Sammy can play, but he needs someone to set up in front of the net … next year’s trouble will be with the D I think, as long as they stop the dumb penalties …

19. #19 R habs 4 real says:
    March 9, 2007 at 10:13 pm

Carolina won tonight. Now we’re 3 points out of 8th place! Let’s hope we can finish as close to 15th place as possible, for a good draft pick! The party’s now officially over. Goodnight and good luck!

20. #20 habs phan says:
    March 9, 2007 at 10:32 pm

SHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!, WHAT’S THAT I HEAR???? SOUNDS LIKE A FREIGHT TRAIN HEADING STRAIGHT FOR THE BELL CENTRE. I WONDER WHAT KIND OF WELCOMING THE HABS ARE GONNA GET NEXT TUESDAY IF THEY DON’T WIN TOMORROW NIGHT AGAINST THE BLUES. WOW!!! I CAN’T EVEN IMAGINE WHAT’S GONNA GO DOWN. BARELY ABLE TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS NOW, I WONDER IF THE HABS ARE GONNA START SHOWING UP FOR GAMES??? COULD THIS BE “TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE”?? WHAT DO YOU THINK???

21. #21 R habs 4 real says:
    March 10, 2007 at 12:02 am

just thought you hab fans would like to know, that the habs, statistically have the 2nd WORST record in the 2nd half(last 35 games), in the entire NHL. That means Washington, 1st overall, collected 24 of a possible 70 points, and then there’s the wonderful habs with their awesome effort collecting an amazing 25 points of a possible 70. wow! that must have taken a real effort to collect such a high total! Imagine, 2nd WORST TOTAL IN THE ENTIRE NHL! Are we good or what? I ‘d like to shake each and every member of the habs and congratulate them; oh wait! actually, I’d like to spit on their hands and vomit on their fuc$%^&en heads! BTW, AEBISHIT is in nets tomorrow! another loss and counting!

22. #22 Maxim Lapierre says:
    March 10, 2007 at 2:48 am

HI fans;

Well the week was not too bad, sure we may have lost every game but Lats got a goal and I almost got a point against Boston. ITs not our fault, its the russians and other euros on the team. I dont need to try hard anymore becasue Carbo really likes me and I have a guaranteed spot in the lineup. I am starting to lose alot of faceoffs and and playing bad defensively buit thats okay because I scored 4 pts in 4 games in December so I am more of a sniper then anything else. I still can not believe the coaching staff has not found out I have a horrible shot and poor awareness. Hee HEe I will get a big contract soon.

23. #23 Gui Latandresse says:
    March 10, 2007 at 2:51 am

I would personally like to thank the French canadian fans who have endured me so much. I am already perceived as a superstar so I really dont have to battle anymore. GOne are the days I go to the net or finish my checks. Now I can just chill out in the high slot and wait for my buddy Laps to let go of one of his mean slappers into teh goalies crest. Thanks fans.

24. #24 habs phan says:
    March 10, 2007 at 3:21 am

ok, seriously, i have a major problem with the habs sucking as bad as they have been lately. i am really pissed about our record after x-mas. but you know what sucks even more then our record after x-mas??? it’s people on this blog calling themselves habs players and making a mockary out of the whole damn situation. come on, get a life and a different identity. i understand your frustration. i feel the same way, but i am not gonna call myself “steve begin” and pretend like i am him talking. come on, seriously!!!!!

25. #25 bossdj420 says:
    March 10, 2007 at 6:55 am

hahahaha agreed habs phan! i was reading their comments and thinking the same thing. you know its the same asshole too. anyway, hot-lanta really showed us up thurs night. we’ve got 13 games left and currently sitting in 11th. no one heres got any faith?!?! never count the habs out! we’re playing teams that are ahead of us in the standings and all we need are those wins. realistically and hopefully, wins should come from both games against toronto and new york rangers, all 3 against boston(revenge for that shutout last weekend), washington and the islanders. that’s 9! which would bring us up to 42 wins, the standard amount you need to make the playoffs. i’m going to both leafs-habs games with high hopes, boys. it’d be sick if it came down to that final game in toronto. overtime or shootout! habs in 8th, leafs in 9th!!! the season would be worth it to see that even if they lost every game in the playoffs against buffalo.

go habs go!

peace420

26. #26 smiler2729 says:
    March 10, 2007 at 7:56 am

Well, I thought I’d just peak in at the blog and see if the same people are regurgitating the same redundancies (and inaccurracies) and for the most part you are.
    I’m currently having fun rooting for my second favourite team (and that team is whoever plays the Maple Laffs), oh, I’m cheering for the Habs but this season’s looking more like a transitional year with a silver lining and that is some personnel are showing their true colours, good and bad. Bob Gainey will rectify that, you can be sure. Forget the trade deadline, most teams make their core changes in the off-season and I’m looking forward to the Entry Draft and July 1.
    Sheldon Souray’s sure shown his true self with his caring and is emerging as a formidable leader on and off the ice, hopefully he gets what he deserves contract wise from the Habs.
    The French media have done all they can to railroad this team and the disruptions in the dressing room because of it have done damage no matter what the players say.
    All in all, this team had the potential to rock (and did for 3 months up till Christmas) but injuries and outside forces (the French media, the Laura tragedy and good ol’ fashioned hockey slumps) knocked it down to its true self – a sometimes decent but most times mediocre team that relies too much on its goaltending and special teams and not enough on heart and effort. Again, Bob will change this.
    So take what you can from this awful finish and know that next season will be drastically different in a lot of ways. Me, I just hope we at least finish ahead of Toronto, whether we be 14th or 1st.

Take care and have fun, it’s only Canadiens’ hockey but I like it.
    Smiler2729

PS. Leafs suck.

27. #27 nigelski says:
    March 10, 2007 at 8:38 am

This is my first post on this site, as I only recently found out it existed. I have been telling any who would listen that we should have traded a bunch more guys at the deadline. The price was never higher. Now we stand to lose a few players for nothing. The REAL problem is that we can’t trade the players we need to.
    Anyone who has watched this team this year has seen the overall lack of effort. We have a couple players who play hard every night, but too many passengers. Guys like Kovalev, who give up on the play whenever they turn the puck over. That’s the time to try hard, Kovalev! I’ve seen Ryder, Koivu, Lantendresse, pretty much the whole forward corps do the same nearly every game. No wonder it’s the worst team plus minus I ever remember seeing.
    But who’s gonna take Kovalev, at 2 yrs, $4.5 mil? I’m tempted to say, demote him for two years, like Mogilny, but if we play hardball, even fewer free agents will want to play here. Samsonov is another one, but if we get lucky, another team might take him for an 8th rounder at next years’ deadline.
    Yeah, I know there isn’t an 8th round anymore, but the guy surely won’t fetch us much more.
    I believe we have a nucleus of players for the future. Higgins, Komisarek,Lantendresse, Lapierre, a few others. If we build around these guys, and tank a couple yrs, we might actually draft a star, or land a FA star. We’ve been without one for too long.
    Anyone remember the last 100 point guy we had? I know Richer was the last to score 50, and that was over 20 yrs ago. If they’ll accept rebuilding plans in philly, why not montreal? Let’s get ourselves a contender, for when Price is ready to go.

28. Dude’s ,don’t you get it? We’ve been rebuilding since 1993 ,W A K E – U P !!!AND THIS DOG SHIT IS WHAT WE HAVE TO SHOW FOR IT!!Maybe if the fans weren’t in such denial this shit wouldn’t fly ? Maybe ask a little louder that you want a winner,cause rite now ,if you haven’t noticed NO -BODY WITH THE HABS GIVE’S A SHIT !!!!It amazes me how after a couple of rant you fans go back to the same sheepish mediocrity ,talk about brain washed,geesus………EXCUSES, EXCUSES ,EXCUSES ,EXCUSES ,EXCUSES ,excuses………………………………

29. Anyone see Ryan Smith and the bus he’s on…right now it’s the Islanders…why not see if the bus can make it to Montreal….should be a big consideration!!

Still hoping that other team from Oct – Dec shows up again…playoffs can be a different game but only when players play hockey, not the crap they’ve been displaying since Jan 2007….()%$*&& !!

30. #30 chucklefley says:
    March 10, 2007 at 12:19 pm

I agree Xhabsfan – this is a freakin’ joke- we have no goalie since Roy (and do’t even talk to me about The-odour), we have no real coach since Scotty Bowman, we have no real GM since Pollock (maybe Serge Savard since he won two cups), we have no points leader in the NHL first or second page since what .. Turgeon, Damphouse maybe Lafleur, we have no goal scorer since Richer scored 50, we have no present, we have no future and we have no hope. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe we have won a total of 3 playoff rounds since 1993 – that’s right THREE!! Gainey, Carbo, Muller, Jarvis – guys who probably would don’t get the new NHL – they scored a combined total of what 12 goals amongst them in their career? If they are so good then why are we letting in so many goals? All you hab fans out there – this is nothing more than the Toronto Maple Leafs. Enjoy the early spring once again.

31. #31 Habs#1 says:
    March 10, 2007 at 1:22 pm

What, so it’s Gainey’s fault he took over a team with a nonexistent veteran corps and a farm system with no prospects?

You want to know why the Habs have been rebuilding since they traded Roy? Look at all the drafts prior to Gainey taking over. Want to know why the Habs have no superstars? Look at the drafts prior to Gainey taking over.

Want to know why FA’s don’t come to MTL? Because just playing for the Montreal Canadians isn’t good enough anymore. Free Agents aren’t going to go gaga just for an oppurtunity to play for the Habs cause of their history anymore. And trust me, if you listen to or read ANY hockey writers stuff, they’ll tell you that the highest taxes in North America, the whole french thing(way to go Bill 101. What if a player who didn’t grow up in Quebec and go to English school there wants their kid to go to english school. Oh, right they don’t have a choice), and the worst media attention in pro sports next to the Yankees drive free agents away. Bob made huge offers to Arnott, Elias, Halpern and Shanahan, and they all took less money to go elsewhere. He also tried selling FA’s on how great the city is and that didn’t work.

Time to change your strategy towards FA’s Bob.

And give Halak and Price 2-3 years. There still kids. Bob’s building this team for when those two are hitting their stride as proffesional goalies just like Cam Ward last year(who didn’t come up till he was 22 for anyone who wants to rush Price like an idiot).

32. #32 R habs 4 real says:
    March 10, 2007 at 1:26 pm

I hope you people have a chance to read the Saturday Montreal Gazette(sports section), Jack Todd’s column. He said, quote:” IT’S TIME TO BLOW UP THE HABS!
    ALMOST EVERY PLAYER MUST GO, INCLUDING KOIVU, SOURAY,KOVALEV(Mr. Cancer), SAMSONOV, ETC.” I agree completely. Yes, Gainey erred by noy getting rid of alot of players at the trade deadline. Think of all the draft picks we could have received, especially for Souray. Gainey knew this team wasn’t going to play hard, or make the playoffs, especially without any goaltending or heart, or the horses to compete. The problem with the so called rebuilding, is that we never seem to do a complete overhaul. It’s always a tweak here or there, to improve a sub par mediocre team. WE MUST CHANGE THE PHILOSOPHY AND STRATEGY. THERE ARE NO GREAT CORE PLAYERS! START FROM THE BEGINNING LIKE IT’S AN EXPANSION TEAM! WE’VE BEEN DOING THIS SAME CRAP FOR 13 YEARS! EVERYTIME WE SAY WE’RE REBUILDING, IT’S NOT! IT’S ONLY A TWEAK! PLEASE, GAINEY DO THE RIGHT THING! GET RID OF EVERY SINLE PLAYER, EVEN IF IT MEANS THE ENTIRE HAMILTON PLAYING HERE! Otherwise, you can expect the same old recycled team forever!
    There will be no UFA signings, so stop dreaming! Nobody in their right mind, will want to come here, and I don’t blame them! IT’S TRADES AND DRAFTS ONLY!
    Kind of reminds me of the way it was with the EXPOS! Remember? They had to build a very strong farm system and bring players up that way. But it worked. We are in the same boat as Chicago, no better, probably worse, because at least they can attract and sign UFA’s, and we can’t. Anyways Carbo, (if he’s back) needs to rethink his defensive strategy. It hasen’t worked. He needs to bring in an offensive minded coach. Personally, I don’t think Carbo is the right man for the job. He lacks patience,and an ability to get along with the players, and from what I see, “HE IS A BIGOT”. he’s biased towards french canadians. Why else would he sit Perezhogin(who has the only + rating), instead of Latendresse(who is a -13)?
    He also mde a huge blunder by scratching Rivet. True he didn’t play well, but he was 1 of the most popular players in the dressing room, and it didn’t sit right with the other players. And how come Kovalev has never been scratched?
    It’s because Carbo is intimidated by him. It’s so obvious! CARBO IS AFRAID OF KOVALEV AND HIS BIG MOUTH! Anyways, the best thing to do, is to buy out Kovalev and Samsonov’s contract(combined 8 million), which means paying 2 thirds of it, roughly 6 million. It’s worth it, because there’s no takers on trades for them, and nobody wants them.
    I wish I could say there is some potential on this team, but there isn’t.It’s like cancer has spread thruout the entire team. Don’t expect anymore wins from this squad of misfits. It’s not happening. If we win 1 game the rest of the season, it will be a miracle!

33. “I was treated unfairly by Habs” -Mike Ribeiro

I am not joking that is an actual quote from a story in the Montreal Gazette from 9 March 2007.

Mikey Ribs! Stop whining to the media! Enough of the current Habs are doing that already! In fact, stop whining (period.)

You are playing in Dallas, you are going to make the playoffs, you did not have to shovel any snow this past season, and you are being paid millions to play a child’s game that all Canadian kids would give their left nut to play. Just shut up!

If these guys think that talking to the press is going to reduce their stress levels, they should take a good long look at where it has gotten Sergei Samsanov, Alexei Kovalev and Aaron Downey! Until the Habs start saying the right things again, they should just keep mum!

I will tolerate any player who shows some effort and heart (even in a loss) but all these whiners who tarnish the crest of the CH with their incessant whining need to go just like Mike Ribeiro. Shut up and play hockey, all of you!

34. #34 Rubberman says:
    March 10, 2007 at 2:56 pm

Here’s my take on things.

New PHILOSOPHY AND STRATEGY:

Getting Carbo was a bad idea. NO EXPERIENCE. That’s one of many reasons this team is still in a tail spin. If it were any other coach, he would have been fired by the middle of Jan.

Get some gritty players: a team needs a good balance: speed, scoring, muscle and HEART. No offence but Euros don’t play it that way. We know, they know and when it’s not for their own country, they’ll rarely go to the wall for a teammate.

Sako had his time. Kovy used to show up one out of four games, now he hardly shows up.

French media love their power. They know that they stir up shit and love it. I’m bilingual, live in Ont (so-called Leaf Nation) and I agree Montreal needs French players because the Habs are playing in front of a French-speaking crowd. Nothing racist about it, if there was a team in Harlem NY, the fans would want a black player and there isn’t anything wrong with that.

Now back to the French media, some are assholes, very opinionated, shit-disturbing (like few/some/all of us), etc… . If you get a chance to watch 110 % (11 pm M-F), you see how some of them act the same way Don Cherry does. That kind of stuff makes people tune it. It’s good for the ratings. So if a player can’t handle it, don’t sign with MTL…

IT SUCKS THAT THEY SUCK, BUT I HOPE GAINEY CLEANS HOUSE, PUTS A RESPECTFUL TEAM TOGETHER, GET HELP FOR CARBO AND MOVES FORWARD.

SORRY TOO LONG.

35. #35 Rubberman says:
    March 10, 2007 at 2:56 pm

Here’s my take on things.

SORRY TOO LONG.

36. #36 Rubberman says:
    March 10, 2007 at 2:57 pm

TEST

37. #37 Rubberman says:
    March 10, 2007 at 2:58 pm

SORRY TOO LONG.

38. #38 Rubberman says:
    March 10, 2007 at 2:59 pm

Sorry about re posting.

39. #39 BarrieHabFan says:
    March 10, 2007 at 5:20 pm

I have to disagree with what some of you are saying about the GM, coach and young players. Bob, aside from inheriting a very shitty team overall has made good moves in terms of establishing depth in the organization. The core of the team was already in place and will be changed. He has also had a very difficult year personally and I think consideration should be given for that. Bob will make significant moves in the offseason, but it’s unreasonable to expect that he will completely alter the lineup. That just doesn’t happen. Carbo is a good coach. What we are seeing now is a breakdown on the team as a result of some very horrible chemistry. I don’t know who, when or why but a player or group of players has turned on this team and will be dealt with at the end of the season. Look at other coaches that weren’t good enough for Montreal. New Jersey, Pittsburgh and Vancouver must be very pleased that fans in Montreal turn so quickly on their coaches.
    As for the young players, too much is expected. Their numbers are decent for 1st, 2nd, or 3rd year players. In fact very good in some cases. It’s the veterans that have really let this team down. Look at the stats for Koivu, Kovalev, Samsonov, Johnson. Look at the defensive shortcomings of Souray, Markov and (previously) Rivet. The young guys are the future and I think the future looks bright. So long as real effort is made to bring in substantial quality veterans.
    I must also agree with some earlier posts that Koivu is not a #1 center. He can be a great player, and can lead this team. But only on the second line. Also, Rob is right on that Montreal should go with the youth and let them know that there is no pressure on them right now. Kovalev can show moments of brilliance, but for the most part looks like a cadaver on the ice. Ditto for most of the other veterans. Go with the future.

March 10, 2007 at 5:21 pm

Right fire the coach because he is sub 500 … last time I looked we were 33 30 thats not sub 500 … yet ? Who knows but the problem cant always be the coach and Montreal has had problems for a while now its been 14 years since the last Cup ..must be Sammy’s fault or Kovalev they were here 10 years ago?

Naw this team needs to rebuild and has needed to for a longtime , they will I cant remember a team that went from mediocore to the summit in 2 years and was able to stay there? Anyone ?

Look at the Canes WOW 8th place and hanging on by a toenail defending champs?

Sucks but thats the way things are right now , we need some fresh blood and I am sure we will see some , but the truth is as stated before there are so many places where good players can play in peace, pay less taxes, and have nice weather .. Odds are against the Habs when it comes to FA’s we need to build from the roots and draft the core of this team in the meantime while that happens, we need to live the dark hours we live now.

41. #41 Bob Woodward says:
    March 10, 2007 at 6:15 pm

Guys:

Look what I found in a secret KGB file in Russia alongside the banned Alexei Kovalev tapes.

In the 1970s, there was a crown jewel in hockey called the Montreal Canadiens which was led by heroes who were real men with simple names like Sam, Scotty, Larry, Ken, Bob and Guy. The USSR sent their country’s best officers in the Red Army to try to destroy this team for hockey supremacy, but could not. After being furstrated with a 3-3 tie in 1975 and a 4-2 loss in 1980, the Soviets decided on a Plan B.

Around this time, the KGB had taken note of a young 7 year old named Alex. Now, Alex was a very talented hockey player, but he was also a spoiled, self serving, drifting nare-do-well. A couple years later, a second agent was recruited into this plan when the KGB learned of a baby named Sammy whose first words were, “I don’t kill penalties.”

After a few years of floating around different NHL teams, the plan would be to unite both these secret agents together to destroy the Habs off the ice. One agent was to kick the team in the gut while it was up while the other agent was to kick the team in the gut when it appeared that it could not sink any lower. Mission accomplished, comrades! Enjoy a spectacular, early golf season back in Mother Russia.

At the same time, reporters for the Montreal Gazette were commissioned to print fictional garbage such as the idea that Alexander Ovechkin is a superior hockey player than Sidney Crosby.

The above tale is fictional. Any similarities to real life events and characters are strictly on purpose.

42. Glad you liked it, Xhabsfan! I spent all day dreaming that one up. I got to get a life!

43. #44 softouch says:
    March 10, 2007 at 6:44 pm

Comment on Barrie …

Agree re Gainey (very bright and a good man for the Habs future)and Carbo (but not sure how he let the team become so weak with the penalties) … do not about Johnson (as I saw it, he was alwys working hard)… and tho I hate to say it, Koivu has been the biggest let down especially with his penalties … I think Habs should keep Kovalev (but they need to find the right line mates), and let Sammy go … I am not impressed with Lapierre (do like Grabovsky), and when Souray is gone, the issue will be D, and goal …

44. ROBERTO LUONGO ,A Montrealer should of been acquired at the beginning of the season,perfact fit and no gambling involved ,a sure bet.Did you know the Vancouver Grizzlies in their first year passed on Steve Nash.

45. #46 nigelski says:
    March 10, 2007 at 7:37 pm

I can’t give credit to a guy who has dealt with personal tragedy, Barriehabfan. Certainly, I can feel for him, and speaking as someone who has lost people I cared about, I know how it can hit you. But you still gotta do your job. Regardless.

If he’d taken a leave of absense, I could live with that, if it’s what he needed. What he did(n’t) do at the trade deadline, if it was remorse motivated, is inexcusable. I don’t believe that to be the case.

I’ve heard him come out time and time again, talking about not wanting to damage team chemistry: as a reason to not make wholesale changes. What he did at the deadline was refuse to aknowlege glaring holes and address them. He sat on the fence, and was neither buyer nor seller, when clearly, a decision on one course or the other HAD TO BE MADE.

Does anyone out there think we didn’t need to do something? Either pick up a couple guys, or dump a couple guys for draft picks. Looking at how teams overpaid, we would have paid/recieved highly for any trades. If he believed we were one or two guys from contention, a belief I don’t share, he should have acquired somebody. If not, sell off Souray, Markov, anyone, and stockpile picks for this years draft and for 2008, a more highly regarded draft year.

I could take 2 terrible, instead of sub-par years, if it got us a budding superstar.

46. #47 joburg says:
    March 10, 2007 at 9:29 pm

Lots of places to agree here Guys, and a few places to disagree—keeping Kovalev—who wants to keep a cancer if they can get rid of it.
    I agree–wholesale changes—-I have always said I prefer to watch jun ior hockey because it is guys who are trying to make it to the bigs, the nhl’rs
    have already made it and many are just floaters—can you spell Bertuzzi??
    Kovalev, Samsonov, Lindros, all making big bucks–much more than they are worth..
    give me some guys who are willing to work, even if they don’t have the talent of the big names—who are to damn lazy to use it.
    I really like Koivu, but just like Mats Naslund in Vancouver—he is not captain material, lets get on with it,. go with the young guys and we know we are not going to be playing in April for a couple years..and knowing that in advance I can handle that.

March 10, 2007 at 9:51 pm

markus naslund*****

48. #49 Joshtm says:
    March 10, 2007 at 10:25 pm

I guess if he can’t see that Dandenault, Bouillon and Koavlev and Murray are not exactly good for the chemistry of the team. Or Koivu for that matter. The bunch can be called a tumour if Kovalev is cancer….

I guess if Gainey can’t see it, what is he still doing staying on as manager? Or that we don’t have a good goalie period. Tonites game only shows Abby is not Hab material. In fact tonites game has shown that even though St. Louis Blues are crap through and through, they are still not as bad defensively as Montreal is.

I like that Jamal dude, he would be natural center for the Habs.

As usual the habs sit back on a lead, get stupid penalties, thanks to the penalty leadership of Koivu and Kovalev, not even the rookies are picking up the bad habits. Once we get rid of Kovalev and Koivu, we will have to wean the rookies out of the hooking habit…

49. #50 DIE_HARD_HABS_FAN says:
    March 10, 2007 at 10:37 pm

Good night everyone. I stumbled upon this site a week ago. I must say that I have not read so much non-sense in my life. This years Habs team is just sorry. There are no words in the english dictionary that can discribe them. Fans and other persons in here constantly speak the same jibberish day in and day out about what he/she would do/should do with the Montreal Canadien Organization. I you people know so much about hockey and how it is to be played, do any of you coach minor hockey etc. and if so your team should be champions.

The Habs will not make the playoffs that is a given. They do not deserve to win another game all year. The team has no back bone. And the Habs Fans have no back bone as well. This Habs team is just like the Maple leafs of old.

Breaking news: The habs blew another lead. A 3 goal lead. But they won 4-3. Another game they did not deserve.

Will anyone bash Kovalev after the game winning goal??????????

You guys are pathetic…I’m sorry but you are………