Hats off to the Habs

• A win tonight will put the Canadiens into 1st in the Conference and force the Penguins to win tomorrow.

Depending how the chips fall into place over the last weekend of the regular season,
    it looks as though the Canadiens will play the Senators, Bruins or Flyers in the first round.

The Maple Leafs may look to spoil the party and go out with a bang like they did against the Senators, injuring 2 key players.

Regardless of how it all ends, the Canadiens have surprised and impressed, exceeded any and all expectations, and find themselves with a very legitimate shot at winning it all.

Go Habs Go!

1. #1 jack hab says:
    April 6, 2008 at 10:46 am

Well gentlemen, I must confess that for today I’m a Philly!?? fan… uh, way too long… OK. From
    3 – 6 I’ll be a fan!! No that’s not it either. OK F!@K them – but I do hope they pull off a win
    today, then our team can go ahead and crush them in the playoffs.

CHEERS TO A GREAT SEASON.

2. #2 Ice Man says:
    April 6, 2008 at 10:50 am

IT DOESN’T MATTER WHAT DONNA CHERRY THINKS……………

3. Ice Man,I also woke up today thinking what a f@cking Archie Bunker sore loser wanabe but never will, REDNECK with a low IQ NEVER MADE IT AS A COACH OR A PLAYER and always lost to the Habs when it counted, Don Cherry is and will alway’s be.Al Gore just classified Don Cherry’s mouth as the worlds biggest contributor to noxious emissions ,lol….” some one should shove a catalytic converter in that idiot’s mouth!!!”

April 6, 2008 at 12:06 pm

Don cherry and the rest of the world never can give us any credit. Many said we would not make the playoffs. We have finnished first in the east even if pittsburg wins today we still have the same points as far as i am concerned.What more do we have to do to prove that we are a great team?. Havent we already proved enough? Playoffs are different i know but i think its safe to say the the days of not making the playoffs are long behind us now. Lets stop all the hate and trash talk on here boys and just enjoy a team we all love. We have waited to long for this and its time once again for our boys to pull off some magic in 2008 GO HABS GO

5. #5 jack hab says:
    April 6, 2008 at 1:16 pm

If we face Boston look for them to play a cheap brand of hockey. They simply can’t
    contend with our speed/skill… and another thing… Tim Thomas…. PAH -LEASE!

6. #6 Joseph says:
    April 6, 2008 at 1:21 pm

Archie Bunker? Bahaha! Does that make Ron MacLean Edith?

7. #7 Dancan81 says:
    April 6, 2008 at 2:19 pm

No, that makes Ron Maclean “MeatHead”.

8. #8 habs4life says:
    April 6, 2008 at 2:38 pm

Forget about 11 wins over Boston; forget about regular season wins.

It’s playoff!!!

April 6, 2008 at 4:24 pm

Yes do not take any one as an easy pick, playoff hockey is a whole new season, we should be fine as long as we play our style of game and keep things simple and fast… we have as good a chance as anyone else in the east… its a whole new season folks let the games begin!!!!

10. #10 Joseph says:
    April 6, 2008 at 4:41 pm

Flyers up 1-0 after two, and they’ve had SEVEN short-handed chances against the lifeless Penguins. I don’t think that Pittsburgh wants to play Philadelphia in the first round.

11. #11 Ice Man says:
    April 6, 2008 at 5:06 pm

Xtrahabsfan; I agree Brother.

“Cry Baby Sid” a No Show today in a game to win 1st in the East.

What a JOKE of a Captain he is.

12. #12 Ice Man says:
    April 6, 2008 at 5:27 pm

WE ARE #1

13. #13 Joseph says:
    April 6, 2008 at 5:29 pm

Yep, Habs win the East!

14. #14 habby says:
    April 6, 2008 at 5:32 pm

First in the east baby!!!!! Go Habs

April 6, 2008 at 5:34 pm

They are gutless makes me sick ….

16. #16 Ice Man says:
    April 6, 2008 at 5:34 pm

What a classy team the Pens are. They threw the game Sunday, not to play Philly. At least Montreal played Kovy……….

17. #17 Joseph says:
    April 6, 2008 at 5:39 pm

Throwing games is a bad idea. They’ll pay for it too.

18. #18 Joseph says:
    April 6, 2008 at 5:42 pm

Such a shame for Crosby to miss the welcome mat that the fans had out for him in Philadelphia too.

19. #19 Habman says:
    April 6, 2008 at 5:42 pm

Congratulations Habs, season well done,salute!

My fresh ,crisp “center ice” jersey just came back from the cleaners!

YEAAAEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Im gonna drink now…or i mean more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. #20 Senet 1 says:
    April 6, 2008 at 5:43 pm

Hey Joseph I would love to have Iginla on my team, and based on the way Malkin played today I would definitely like him over Malkin. I still take Crosby first but you know, it all depends on what you need which of the three players you are going to select. Emough said.

April 6, 2008 at 5:46 pm

Crosby is a cry baby .. dont want him thanks , I will take Iginla, or big Joe Thor , Vinnie … there are plenty of class acts out there with guts and honor .

22. #22 Joseph says:
    April 6, 2008 at 5:48 pm

Well, I wouldn’t use anything that happened in today’s game as any indication of what kind of player Malkin is. The Penguins didn’t show up for this game, collectively, and the suggestion that it was on purpose is becoming less difficult to believe.

That being said, Crosby is a whining pussy, and I cannot stand him. ;-)

23. #23 Senet 1 says:
    April 6, 2008 at 5:50 pm

Well I have to agree, if Pitts actually tried to lose this game then I have no respect for them. Crobsy came back too soon from his injury, the type of injury he had is worse than a break and many players who have this injury continue to have trouble with it for years.

Having said that Pitts seems to play without Crosby for quite some time and successfully so it should not have mattered whether he was in the line up or not. they are definitely a better team with Crosby in the lineup but Malkin’s team did not show up today and from what I saw there was just no effort there at all, which means this team has no pride. Pitts owed Boston and Ottawa there best game and they did not give it. They also owed their fans their best effort to finish first, and they DID NOT GIVE IT. I lost my respect for this organization today.

24. #24 Joseph says:
    April 6, 2008 at 5:55 pm

I lost my respect for them a while ago. Typical Pittsburgh mentality: they refuse to change with the times. (Trust me, I know what I’m talking about.) They think that they can run and gun their way to Stanley Cups by loading up with superstar talent. Well, that approach doesn’t work anyumore, sadly.

Pittsburgh is like an 85-year old physician who keeps wanting to throw first generation penicillin at everything that has evolved to resist it.

25. #25 Senet 1 says:
    April 6, 2008 at 5:57 pm

As far as having Vinni or Thornton I really like both of these guys and if I am looking for a centreman to build a team around give me big Joe. I have always like him. I would take Vinni too because he is a good fit in Montreal. But like Gretzky Crosby will have people who do not like him. I for one would not turn him down if I had chance to get him on my team. There are a lot of very good players in the League. I am parcial to Canadian boys though because to me they have more passion for what the Stanley Cup really means.

26. #26 Joseph says:
    April 6, 2008 at 5:59 pm

I’m right there with you with regard to Canadian players, Senet 1. I’m just a little more picky about which Canadians I’d want.

History has shown: no Canadians = no Cup

27. #27 Senet 1 says:
    April 6, 2008 at 6:01 pm

Joseph, good point. Today reminded me of Detroit a few years ago, all they had to do was tie or beat Chicago and Montreal was in the playoffs, stead they brought up their AHL goalie and sat out all their best players and got beat. It was obvious they did not want the Habs in the Playoffs that year.

28. #28 hablifer says:
    April 6, 2008 at 6:03 pm

habs are mostly a euro team. Does that mean no cup for us?

29. #29 Joseph says:
    April 6, 2008 at 6:04 pm

104 points, 262 goals, 24.2% powerplay efficiency, Division winners, Eastern Conference winners!

Woooooooooooo-hooooooooooooo!

30. #30 Joseph says:
    April 6, 2008 at 6:05 pm

“habs are mostly a euro team. Does that mean no cup for us?”

Sadly, yes. But that won’t stop me from believing!

31. #31 Joseph says:
    April 6, 2008 at 6:06 pm

Question: Has any European Captain ever lead his respective team to a Stanley Cup?

Answer: No.

32. #32 Senet 1 says:
    April 6, 2008 at 6:08 pm

Well give me a whole team of Canadian boys and with a few decent superstar players and my team will be there every year. You should be picking and if you were the general manager and did not like Crosby then you should not take him. I know that if he were on my team especially had say the Canadiens drafted him he would have a different attitude than he has, he became too important tot he Pittsburg team too soon. If he were on my team we would not have been team captain until he stopped his wining.

33. #33 Senet 1 says:
    April 6, 2008 at 6:09 pm

We have enough Canadian content on our team, I am not against non canadian players I am just saying if I had my choice I would pick a canadian boy.

34. #34 Joseph says:
    April 6, 2008 at 6:10 pm

I don’t know… 19 years of whining is difficult to undo, good coaching or not. These guys aren’t military drill sergeants.

35. #35 Joseph says:
    April 6, 2008 at 6:11 pm

I concur, Senet 1. Nothing wrong with a healthy mix. The Canadian factor just must be present, and preferably in a leadership role.

36. #36 Senet 1 says:
    April 6, 2008 at 6:12 pm

I am not sure if a non Canadian Captain has ever won the SC. What about Dallas. Who was their captain?

37. #37 Joseph says:
    April 6, 2008 at 6:13 pm

Modano.

38. #38 Joseph says:
    April 6, 2008 at 6:13 pm

Yank.

39. #39 Senet 1 says:
    April 6, 2008 at 6:15 pm

Well we have a Canadian Boy leading the way in Goal, Our defence is mostly Canadian although I have to admit that Markov is so far a good leader back there. Up front, Kovy seems to be our leader this year. The one thing I see in Kovy this year he seems to want to prove something and even though he is not our Captain most of the time he has been our team leader all year.

40. #40 Senet 1 says:
    April 6, 2008 at 6:16 pm

Thats what I was thinking that Modano was the captain I knew he was a Yank.

41. #41 Joseph says:
    April 6, 2008 at 6:18 pm

I think that the Habs, being the Habs, can make anything happen. I truly do. They could write the book on pioneerism in the NHL. So anything is possible with this group.

42. #42 Joseph says:
    April 6, 2008 at 6:19 pm

On an unrelated note, Marcus Naslund played on he fourth line in Pittsburgh in the early nineties. How scary was that team?

43. #43 Senet 1 says:
    April 6, 2008 at 6:24 pm

It is your senior players that take these rookies aside and tell them they are embassing their teammates. That is were the leadership role comes in, as a rookie you better toe the line or else. Crosby came into Pittsburg and basically was the star of the team overnight and soon to be captain as well. There was no mentorship there at all.

44. #44 Joseph says:
    April 6, 2008 at 6:26 pm

On the other hand, you can’t polish a turd. In this case, the turd being his personality (because everyone knows that he has tremedous skill). I suspect that he played with girls a lot growing up. And when I say ‘played’, I mean with doll houses.

45. I just pictured young Stewart saying “You want to go?”to Chara,this is going to be to much fun !!!!Ole Ole Ole….

46. #46 Ice Man says:
    April 6, 2008 at 6:29 pm

It is more like: “You want to go you Ugly Ass Bigfoot”…

47. #47 Joseph says:
    April 6, 2008 at 6:31 pm

Zdeno ‘The Giant’ Chara has a future in the WWF after hockey. Another fine product of Pittsburgh, PA.

48. #49 Ice Man says:
    April 6, 2008 at 6:32 pm

Joe said; “Has any European Captain ever lead his respective team to a Stanley Cup? Answer: No.

I say “This year will be the FIRST”

49. #50 Joseph says:
    April 6, 2008 at 6:33 pm

And Joe hopes that you’re right on the money, Ice Man.